WiggleIt: Tardive dyskinesia & dystonia from TCAs/nortriptyline/desipramine; rapid taper & benzo trouble, too

WiggleIt

Hi Wiggle, I'm sorry to hear about your infection too.

I had a thread around of a list of antibiotics that I found online that were generally considered the safest (for anyone, not specifically people in withdrawal.) I don't know how accurate it is (except it did say the fluoroquinolones are a problem.)  I searched and searched and can't find it.  I don't know if anyone else has seen it lately? 

May be you've already made a decision....either way, I hope things improve.  I will be thinking of you. 

Take care,

US

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

• Moderator Emeritus
On 4/16/2019 at 6:01 PM, Frogie said:

Hi:

I’m allergic to anything to do with penicillin. Keflex is in the penicillin family.

I know people have problems with z-packs, but all through my taper I never had a problem. It’s synthetic erythromycin.

Just my input.

Hope you are ok.

Take care,

Frogie xx

Thanks, Frogie.  This is helpful.  I was Rx-ed azithromycin, but was told not to take it yet because doc wanted me to try topical first, which is what I'm currently using.  She knows about my dystonia and didn't want me to have a reaction.  I had a staph infection last year and used a topical, but now I have another one this year, and it's unclear if last year's infection truly got eradicated with just the topical.  So not really sure if the topical is enough on this current infection, either.

Tomorrow, I go back to doc to check how the staph and topical AB are doing and to determine whether I need to start the oral antibiotic.  I'm dealing with a lot of self-blame; I feel I did something wrong to get such a filthy infection.  I feel I wasn't clean or careful and am quite hating myself and so scared to become one big Wiggle again.   

*I'm not a doctor and don't give medical advice, just personal experience
**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not
-Dual cold turkeys off TCA & Ativan in Oct 2014. Prescribed from 2011-2014

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Desipramine Jan 2014 - Oct. 29, 2014 (rapid taper/cold turkey)

-Lorazepam 1 mg per night during 2011
-Lorazepam 1 mg per month in 2012 (or less)

-Lorazepam on & off, Dec 2013 through Aug 2014. Didn't exceed 3x a week

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged
-7 years off: Huge improvements, incl. improved dystonia

• Moderator Emeritus
On 4/17/2019 at 9:02 PM, Gracee said:

WiggelIt,   Please take this staph infection seriously.    Take recommended antibiotics immediately and do what is prescribed to cure it.  

I am, promise!  Using a topical antibiotic right now and doctor tells me tomorrow if I also need to take oral one.  If I have to, I will of course.  But I also know it means I may lose my life (metaphorically) to severe dystonia again, and I really don't know how I will live like that.

Edited by WiggleIt

**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, UnfoldingSky said:

Hi Wiggle, I'm sorry to hear about your infection too.

I had a thread around of a list of antibiotics that I found online that were generally considered the safest (for anyone, not specifically people in withdrawal.) I don't know how accurate it is (except it did say the fluoroquinolones are a problem.)  I searched and searched and can't find it.  I don't know if anyone else has seen it lately? 

May be you've already made a decision....either way, I hope things improve.  I will be thinking of you. 

Take care,

US

Thanks, US! I have a similar list, I think.  I'm on topical antibiotic right now and find out tomorrow about adding oral one.

• Moderator Emeritus
On 4/2/2019 at 6:21 PM, Carmie said:

Hi Wigglelt, 

Just popping around to say I’m thinking of you and sending you some hugs🤗

Thank you, Carmie.  I'm trying :)

• Moderator Emeritus
On 4/17/2019 at 9:05 PM, JackieDecides said:

I'm sorry to hear about the infection, I hope you can get whatever you need to take care of it. I don't know what affects it will have on you but I know you can deal with it. wishing you all the best and hope to hear good news soon. 🤗

Thank you, Jackie <3 

• Moderator Emeritus
On 4/5/2019 at 12:56 AM, Leo1983 said:

Hi wiggelt.

Are your issues mainly physical now?

Have you recovered from alot of the mental stuff?

Hope your ok.

Leo

Hello Leo!

I honestly feel I have 100% recovered from the mental stuff.  Yes, my issues now are physical, solely physical.  Of course, being physically bad off does affect me mentally and emotionally, but the reason I say I'm mentally/emotionally recovered now is because I can handle the sadness of the physical stuff.  Sure, I might cry about my physical health, but I'm not afraid of my mind or my heart anymore at all.  If anything, I am grateful to God that He's made my mind and heart strong to help me cope with the physical ailments.  I pray that He has mercy and carries me through what I'm dealing with now.

I hope it's not all soppy for me to invoke God.  I usually don't, because it's not my way to be preachy or public about my beliefs, but since I'm a little battered right now, I'm being a bit more expressive about my belief. 

22 minutes ago, WiggleIt said:

Thanks, US! I have a similar list, I think.  I'm on topical antibiotic right now and find out tomorrow about adding oral one.

Hi Wiggle, I hope it all goes okay.  I was on a topical one as well recently, and might have had a staph issue too (long story).  I'm sorry to read you are feeling pretty battered too as you mentioned elsewhere..don't worry about invoking God I'm sure many people understand here. 

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

• Moderator Emeritus
14 minutes ago, UnfoldingSky said:

(long story). 

Aren't those the only kind we have?  Ha ha ha!!!

Hi Wigglett

Did you have all of the psychological stuff? Anxiety, morning cortisol, Anhedonia, emotional numbing, head pressure etc etc?

If so did it all go away on its own??

Thanks for your time.

Leo

May 2016 - Aug 2016 - Prozac 20mg

March 2017 - June 2017 - Sertraline 100mg. Horrific withdrawal 5 m onths.

July 2017 - Aug 2017 - Mirtazapine 15mg. Horrific.

August 2017 - December 2017 Fluoxetine 10mg for 2 weeks ghen Escitalopram 20mg for 12 weeks. Never felt normal since this. Or baseline.

March 2018 - June 2018 - Escitalopram 5mg for 12 weeks. Stopped and here i am full of symptoms i never had.

• Moderator Emeritus
Just now, Leo1983 said:

Hi Wigglett

Did you have all of the psychological stuff? Anxiety, morning cortisol, Anhedonia, emotional numbing, head pressure etc etc?

If so did it all go away on its own??

Thanks for your time.

Leo

Oh goodness, I had all that and MORE, and now I feel so mentally stable and capable :)

It went away with time and rest and light-hearted distractions (by which I mean mostly Netflix).  

22 minutes ago, WiggleIt said:

Aren't those the only kind we have?  Ha ha ha!!!

Yeah really, I have a few essays...😄

I can remember more than a few doctors trying to interrupt me at minute forty five to get a word in...little did they know I was just getting started ha ha

6 hours ago, WiggleIt said:

I hope it's not all soppy for me to invoke God.  I usually don't, because it's not my way to be preachy or public about my beliefs, but since I'm a little battered right now, I'm being a bit more expressive about my belief. 

you invoke anyone you like! 

in the depths of despair, I often do and I feel nothing and nobody there. but I believe anyway, and feel the "nothingness" is a lack in my own brain that is hopefully temporary. in other words, I hope to eventually be able to believe better just like I hope to think and imagine better. 

bless us all in whatever way makes sense! ❤️

Currently taking Ramapril (blood pressure) 5 mg twice a day

Omeprazole 10 mg AM and 20 mg PM  (the taper has gone nowhere after the first cut)

Famotidine   once a day (and I still needs tums sometimes)

magnesium 200 mg at night

as of yesterday 2 fish oil capsules "EPA-DHA 1000"

off Lexapro as of 5/2018  - last dose had been 5 mg every other day for a couple years

highest dose had been 20 mg at which point I was diagnosed with Bipolar II, which went away when I cut the lexapro down to 15 mg. 

I spent years on Paxil before Lexapro (can't remember dose), briefly on Effexor and Abilify and others I have forgotten. in fact, when I was diagnoses with BPII I was put on all kinds of things which made me feel so bad I stopped them cold turkey within maybe 3 or 4 weeks, thank goodness. since then I've known these pills were terrible and I weaned down the Lexapro with zero help or support over I'm not sure how many years. 

18 hours ago, WiggleIt said:

Thanks, Frogie.  This is helpful.  I was Rx-ed azithromycin, but was told not to take it yet because doc wanted me to try topical first, which is what I'm currently using.  She knows about my dystonia and didn't want me to have a reaction.  I had a staph infection last year and used a topical, but now I have another one this year, and it's unclear if last year's infection truly got eradicated with just the topical.  So not really sure if the topical is enough on this current infection, either.

Tomorrow, I go back to doc to check how the staph and topical AB are doing and to determine whether I need to start the oral antibiotic.  I'm dealing with a lot of self-blame; I feel I did something wrong to get such a filthy infection.  I feel I wasn't clean or careful and am quite hating myself and so scared to become one big Wiggle again.   

You did nothing to deserve this infection at all!

I hope the topical AB works. Sounds like it would be a lot easier on the system.

Good luck with the dr tomorrow. Let me know what you find out.

Take care,

Frogie xx

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

yes, I meant to say that, too. you did nothing to deserve or get this infection! it's just something that happens. 

hoping to hear good news from your doctor's appointment. 🤗

Omeprazole 10 mg AM and 20 mg PM  (the taper has gone nowhere after the first cut)

off Lexapro as of 5/2018  - last dose had been 5 mg every other day for a couple years

highest dose had been 20 mg at which point I was diagnosed with Bipolar II, which went away when I cut the lexapro down to 15 mg. 

I spent years on Paxil before Lexapro (can't remember dose), briefly on Effexor and Abilify and others I have forgotten. in fact, when I was diagnoses with BPII I was put on all kinds of things which made me feel so bad I stopped them cold turkey within maybe 3 or 4 weeks, thank goodness. since then I've known these pills were terrible and I weaned down the Lexapro with zero help or support over I'm not sure how many years. 

Hi Wiggle,

Just wanted to say my first Hello to you ❤️ 

And offer some support. Especially in regards to your EC. 

When I was a kid I had horribly sensitive skin. ESPECIALLY my face/lips. 

I'd go out in the sun, swim, do whatever kids do, and my lips would dry and crack and become so red and inflamed. 

Sometimes I looked like a duck with lipstick. 

The doctors said it was eczema, but it was so, so severe and painful. 

I could hardly open my mouth for the dentist at some times, they'd have to slather on the vasoline every 5 mins to help my skin be more flexible. 

I would get cracks at the corners of my mouth too. 

So you're not alone. I haven't had these issues in a very long time, but I know how sad, painful, and embarrassing these issues can be. 

All my love.

Celexa 10mg: 2007 to June 2018, stopped CT

No meds: June 2018 to December 2018

PROTRACTED WD-- major depressive episode for 2+ weeks

Lexapro 10mg: December 12, 2018 to January 19, 2019, severe adverse reaction

Celexa 10mg: January 20, 2019

June 24, 2019: 9mg

July 22, 2019: 8.5mg

Jan 8, 2020: 8mg

Aug 25, 2020: 7.2mg

Supplements: Magnesium, Fish Oil

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus
On 4/26/2019 at 5:00 PM, puthappinessfirst said:

Hi Wiggle,

Just wanted to say my first Hello to you ❤️ 

And offer some support. Especially in regards to your EC. 

When I was a kid I had horribly sensitive skin. ESPECIALLY my face/lips. 

I'd go out in the sun, swim, do whatever kids do, and my lips would dry and crack and become so red and inflamed. 

Sometimes I looked like a duck with lipstick. 

The doctors said it was eczema, but it was so, so severe and painful. 

I could hardly open my mouth for the dentist at some times, they'd have to slather on the vasoline every 5 mins to help my skin be more flexible. 

I would get cracks at the corners of my mouth too. 

So you're not alone. I haven't had these issues in a very long time, but I know how sad, painful, and embarrassing these issues can be. 

All my love.

Thank you.  I'm in lousy shape.

Did you get, like, huge crusts that would build up?

• Moderator Emeritus

I''m sorry to all for my absence.  Not well.  I so enjoy helping others, and just am unable to currently, but look forward to when I can again.  Stay strong, everyone.

• Moderator Emeritus

@WiggleIt Sorry you're not feeling well, WiggleIt.  Take care of yourself.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

1 hour ago, WiggleIt said:

I''m sorry to all for my absence.  Not well.  I so enjoy helping others, and just am unable to currently, but look forward to when I can again.  Stay strong, everyone.

Get to feeling better. Take care of yourself 1st. I’m sorry you are in a bad way. 

Take care,

Frogie xx

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

4 hours ago, WiggleIt said:

I'm in lousy shape.

4 hours ago, WiggleIt said:

Not well.

I'm so sorry to hear things aren't going well, WiggleIt, and I wish there was something we could do to help.  at the very least, you should know many of us - including me - have been helped tremulously by your words and we wish you all the best. 🤗

On 5/20/2019 at 4:45 AM, WiggleIt said:

Thank you.  I'm in lousy shape.

I didn't get thick crusts, but I did have some of that at the corners of my mouth. For me, I had bright red, raw skin that radiated about an inch out from my lips to my face. It was incredibly embarrassing and painful. 

Celexa 10mg: 2007 to June 2018, stopped CT

No meds: June 2018 to December 2018

PROTRACTED WD-- major depressive episode for 2+ weeks

Lexapro 10mg: December 12, 2018 to January 19, 2019, severe adverse reaction

Celexa 10mg: January 20, 2019

June 24, 2019: 9mg

July 22, 2019: 8.5mg

Jan 8, 2020: 8mg

Aug 25, 2020: 7.2mg

Supplements: Magnesium, Fish Oil

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello All,

It's been a lousy spring and summer.  In addition to EC and recurring staph on my lips since 2018, I also re-herniated a disk in my back and am suffering such excruciating sciatic pain that I can't get into an non-painful position to type and haven't been able to for months.  Unfortunately, my phone is old and lousy, so accessing this site on my phone is not an efficient option.  That's why I have not been around.

I need a steroid injection into my back, but I fear re-flaring the dystonia that I've been so lucky has improved so much over the years.

Also, topical ABs are no longer cutting it for my recurring staph infections, so I'll probably need to take oral ABs if I get another infection.  Same problem: ABs  could bring back my dystonia and/or my WD symptoms.

I have no idea what will happen to all my years of dystonia recovery and psych med recovery if I get a back injection and if I go on ABs.  This is a problem we will all face sometime after WD.  Life goes on, and things happen.  At some point, we'll have to engage in the medical system again, and we'll have to see how it goes.  Whatever treatment(s) I get, I'll let you all know how my body reacts, because I'm sure the info will be useful here.

I will post updates as I'm able, and will be back to mod when my pain allows me to regularly type again.  At this point, it hurts to stand, lay, or sit.

Sorry to have gone radio silent, especially as I care about everyone here and want to help!

Ugh, my sciatic pain is shooting up, so I must log off.

Edited by WiggleIt

Hi

Just wondering about your post.

What i read is you recovered from wd however, did not look after your body?

in what way? 

Regards

L

August 2017 - December 2017 Fluoxetine 10mg for 2 weeks ghen Escitalopram 20mg for 12 weeks. Never felt normal since this. Or baseline.

March 2018 - June 2018 - Escitalopram 5mg for 12 weeks. Stopped and here i am full of symptoms i never had.

• Moderator Emeritus
58 minutes ago, Leo1983 said:

Hi

Just wondering about your post.

What i read is you recovered from wd however, did not look after your body?

in what way? 

Regards

L

Please go back and read through WiggleIt's posts.  It's obvious from what she has posted that she's currently not in any condition to be responding to your questions.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Miss you WiggleIt.  And hugs.  And yes, please keep us updated.

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Moderator Emeritus
20 hours ago, WiggleIt said:

Ugh, my sciatic pain is shooting up, so I must log off.

My heart and love and prayers go out to you, Wigglelt.  You are a beautiful soul.  No need to reply..

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

I was very sad to read about everything you are going through, WiggleIt.  You are such an amazingly strong woman. I am really hoping you get some relief very soon.

-1/06 - 3/07 Cymbalta. Fast taper (essentially CT); withdrawal symptoms after 4 mos (didn't realize was WD)

-10/07: 100 mg Zoloft; 1 mg Klonopin - tapered off Klonopin after 4 mos. Several unsuccessful slow tapers of Zoloft; went up and down in dose a lot

-Spring 2013 back on 1 mg Klonopin to counter WD symptoms; switched over 5-6 mos from Zoloft to 35 mg citalopram
-Two attempts at slow tapering citalopram, always increased dose due to WD; also increased Klonopin to 1.25 mg in 2014, then to 1.5 mg in 2015

-8/17-9/17: After holding one year at 20 mg, feeling withdrawal symptoms due to stress - slowly increased to 25 mg. No change in symptoms after 6 months (? tolerance ?)  - decided to start citalopram taper February 2018 (still on Klonopin 1.5 mg).

Supplements: fish oil; magnesium; vitamin D3; curcumin

Citalopram taper:  2/2018 - 12/2019: 25 mg - 11.03 mg I 2020: 10.89 mg - 7.9 mg I 2021: 7.8 mg - 5.26 mg I 2022: 5.2 mg - 3.36 mg I 2023: 3.3 mg - 1.47 mg 2024: 1/5/24: 1.44 mg; 1/19/24: 1.40 mg; 1/26/24: 1.37 mg; 2/2/24: 1.34 mg; 2/9/24: 1.31 mg; 2/23/24: 1.28 mg; 3/1/24: 1.25 mg; 3/8/24: 1.22 mg; 3/15/24: 1.19 mg; 3/29/24: 1.17 mg; 4/5/24: 1.14 mg; 4/13/24: 1.11 mg; 4/20/24: 1.09 mg

so sorry to hear about all the pain and, as Gridley says, no need to reply. ❤️

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello All...

Thank you so much for your patience with my disappearance.  I've spent months practically immobile and needing a lot of help in the home with basic tasks.  I herniated a disk in my back and, in addition to being immobilized from pain, I've also been grappling with a lot of self-loathing and fear.  The self-loathing came because I blamed myself for the disk hernia.  I thought I'd pushed my drug-damaged body too hard, that I'd been too careless with my dystonia, etc.  I thought it was my fault that I was bedridden again.  But... it wasn't, and it isn't.  If anything, it was brave of me that I felt better and wanted to do more.  Besides, otherwise healthy people herniate their backs ALL THE TIME.  But I blamed myself because I know my body has limits, yet I pushed past them.  However, I HAVE to consider that it might have been a good thing that, after all these years of drug damage, I finally felt strong enough to push myself much farther.  I mean, turns out I shouldn't do that again, LOL, but... whatever.  Now I know.  

The fear I've been dealing with is because I was too scared to get a steroid injection into my back, which is the standard treatment for hernias as bad and painful as mine.  I just couldn't pull the trigger.  I was so scared of having an adverse reaction, of God-knows-what happening. And so, I've just been white-knuckling it through a bad hernia and immobilizing sciatic pain for months.  I couldn't sit at my computer, couldn't sit at all.  Couldn't sleep in a bed.  Couldn't turn my head or neck.  The pain's been so bad I've almost vomited on myself several times.

I honestly don't think that a healthy person could have survived the pain.  But I think that people who have been through WD... well, we're tougher than normal people.  

Also, I don't have a job or anything that I have to go to, so I didn't have to force myself to get the injection and snap back to a routine.  I had the "luxury" (if you call being disabled a luxury) to be at home for months waiting to improve.      

I'm easing back into physical activity and easing back into typing, sitting, etc.  Technically, this was a re-herniation of a smaller hernia that I had years ago, and yes, the muscle weakness of my dystonia did make me a bit more susceptible.  My doc thinks the weakness/dystonia was only a small factor.  I think it was a big factor, because I lived with the original, small hernia unproblematically for several years before psych meds ruined my muscles.

In the end, what matters is that I'm getting better and, hopefully, I'll never have to get the steroid injection.

The horrible EC (exfoliative cheilitis) on my lips is still there.  I've no hope for that healing ever, but you play the hand you're dealt.  I've been dealt a sh***y hand.  So I just pile on more eye makeup these days and slap a flu mask on my face.  Let it look like Halloween year-round.  Not much else I can do.  (Really, though, I hope God has mercy and cures it.  I'm pretty weak-spirited and not dealing well with a skin deformity on my face.  My family is convinced this is bc of the meds, too, but I'm not sure they're right.)

I'm sad, but not sad, if that makes sense.  I was better two years ago, but I can't keep dwelling on that.

I hope I didn't freak anyone out.  Like I said, I was in lots of pain and blaming myself for it.  Now that I'm improving, I hope I can help people again.

I'm sorry you've been having such a horrible time and glad it's improving. Coming here to help others is hopefully helping you, as well, and I've read your wise words enough in the past to know your posts are worth reading. 

I hope you keep improving! 🤗

• 2 weeks later...
  • Mentor

💜 WiggleIt 💜

I found your thread while searching this site on dystonia. I cry reading your story because you have suffered so unfairly. These are also tears of admiration, for your courage is so inspiring. You have an indomitable spirit.

I had chorea from acute gabapentin withdrawal, and I have dystonia, originally from zoloft. The dystonia appears to be slowly worsening either with time or with continuing gabapentin withdrawal. Regarding movement disorders, there is stigma and I do believe often a social *assumption* of cognitive problems for those of us with movement disorders, ie people assume we are stupid.

I hear you re fear of antibiotics and medical treatment in general. I had c diff infection twice which already had me terrified of antibiotics, and now in withdrawal, I am even more afraid of antibiotics than I was in the past--if that's even possible. Every flu season except one in my life, I get a sinus infection complication and end up on antibiotics. This year I will be wearing a mask all flu season. I am not looking forward to the social repercussions of that, but I do think it's more awkward feeling for the wearer than it is for those around them.

The invisible withdrawal symptoms and the visible impairments each have their own unique problems and impact.  

Now: 100 mg Zoloft am, 50 mg Trazodone.  Daily drug burden decreased from 2050 in 2018 mg to 150 mg 🐢🐢

Zoloft: 1/24/23 increased to 100 mg after suicide attempt 9/17/22 cut 6 mg, 8/14/22 cut 6.5 mg, 5/7/22 cut 12.5 mg 3/20/22 cut 12.5 mg 10/26/21 cut 6 mg 10/17/21 cut 5 mg, 9/17/21 Cut 3 mg,  9/13/21 cut 4 mg, 8/29/21 Cut 2 mg 8/8/21 Cut 3 mg  7/30/21 Zoloft: Converted 25 mg to liquid. Also take 100 mg pill & 25 mg pill=150 mg total
🌞 Feb 28, 2021 0 mg Gapapentin 2021 Gaba each dose 4x/day: Feb 27 7 mg (one dose only), Feb 10, 7 mg, Jan 14 10 mg 2020 Current taper schedule from Aug 30-present: drop 8 mg every 2-3 weeks. Aug 20 31 mg, Aug 18, 33 mg, July 29, 35 mg, July 23 38 mg, July 22 40 mg Jun 24 42 mg, Jun 15 44 mg, Jun 9 48 mg, May 22 50 mg, May 14 54 mg, May 7 56 mg, Apr 16 58 mg, Mar 28 60 mg, Mar 18 62 mg. Feb 26 64 mg. Feb 19, 66 mg. Jan 23, 70 mg. 2019 Dec 19, 72 mg. Nov 14 ,76 mg. Aug 8, 80 mg. Aug 6, 85 mg. Jul 26, 90 mg. Jul 11, 95 mg.

Jul 16 trazodone from 100 to 50 mg.

Jun 17-July 10 Slowly changed gab fr pill to liquid at same dose 100 mg 4x/d.

Apr 24 Stopped klon!!! 🌞 Apr 4  Decreased gaba to 400 mg (100 mg 4x/day)-Apr 4, 2019   0.25 klon March 11  Klonopin .5 mg twice daily, varied dose til Apr 15. Started Klon fast taper 25%, short use

Mar 16, 450 mg gaba 3x/day cut 600 mg--not exact!--updose after learning w/d

Feb 20, 2019 1800 mg gabapentin; MD taper; off 3 days=mvt disorder & autonomic instability. July 2018 temazepam 15 mg 1-2; prn several x/wk til Jan/Feb 2019 when cold turkey, flu illness for months

July 2018 started gabapentin 100 3x/day; titrated up to 1800 mg (600 3x/day)

Buspar, I forget how much, 2 pills a day Jan 2017-July 2018 cold turkey. On Zoloft since maybe 2004? After trying many.

*I speak from my experience. Nothing I say is medical advice. I'm not a doctor.

• ChessieCat changed the title to WiggleIt: tardive dyskinesia from TCAs and benzo rapid tapers
  • Moderator Emeritus

How are you doing Wigglelt?💚

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hey WiggleIt, just came across your thread. Your support for others is very palpable, and I hope you have been treating yourself with the same kindness and patience. Totally fine to step away from the site to focu on your on well-being.

The pain sounds awful. And for the staph infection on the lips, I’m sure you’ve tried so many things at this point. If I could gently suggest something: ff the top of my head, I wonder if you’ve tried Manuka honey? Manuka honey in particular has very potent antibacterial activity, and has been proven  in some clinical trials to treat skin infections just as well, if not better than ABs (I believe staph included). It’s a thought, if you wanted to look into it and consider trying it. You can usually find it at Whole Foods and sometimes Trader Joe’s.

Apr 2018: Began 10 mg Amitriptyline (for headaches & insomnia from concussion).

Jul - Aug 2018: Fast taper to 5 mg and then 2.5 mg (too fast, hellish withdrawal at 2.5 mg). Sept 2018: Reinstated 10 mg (many symptoms improved). Oct 2018 - Apr 2019: Updosed & stabilized on 11 mg (2 waves at 3 and 5 months post-withdrawal). Apr 2019 - Apr 2020: Tapered 0.5-0.25 mg per month using compounded pills: 11 mg —> 6 mg. (2 waves at 12 and 16 months post-withdrawal.) Apr 2020 - present: Switched to a liquid taper at rate of 0.1 mg per month. Currently: 1.1 mg. No more waves. 

Supplements: Omega-3 fish oil, Vit B12, coenzyme Q10, Hawthorn extract (for tachycardia) Tools for insomnia/waves (as needed): Epsom salt foot soaks, 0.5 mg Melatonin, quality time, waves WILL PASS. Lifestyle: Eat real foods, mostly plants; sunlight, walking, yoga; symptom tracking on adapted Glenmullen chart.

• 3 months later...

Hello Wigglelt how are you?

How is your back pain now? 

Maybe by now you are allowed to start modest movement or low key exercise?

I can recommend the book Healing back pain by doctor John E Sarno. You can also find him on you tube. He died unfortunatelly. But I learned a lot from his books.

I have acne. I treat it with tea tree oil or CBD skin oil. I read it can help with many other skin problems too. Did you try these? 

Once in withdrawal I had a bad skin dissease I never had before.Pityriasis lichenoides chronica.  It was a very bad looking one with big  red dots on my belly, butt and upper legs. It shows up in autumn and winter. When I slowed down my taper it did not come back,  only a tiny bit for 2 months in the next winter. This year it was not there anymore in winter. The dermatologist said I would possibly have the dissease for ever as it was a chronic one! But it improved and now it has gone! In withdrawal our immunesytem  does not work at its best. So it is still quite possible your EC infection on your lips will heal when you are further out. Keep the faith! 

I wish you lots of healing! You have gone through so many. You are so brave! You are a big inspiration for me! 

2019 2.1 mg amitriptyline ,15th july 2.1 mg, 22-7 2.09 mg, 29-7 2.08 mg, 5-8 2.09 mg , 7-8 2.1 mg . 2020 Holding at 2.1 mg

2019 125 mg lyrica, 15th july 124,5 mg, 22-7 124 mg, 29-7 123,5 mg, 4-8 124 mg 2020 holding at 124 mg

2015 january building up my medication to 450 mg lyrica and 50 mg amitriptyline for face ache after a rootcanal treatment at the dentist. 2016 february start tapering lyrica from 450 mg to 200 mg 2016 october tapered 25 mg amitriptyline to 25 mg 2017 tapered lyrica from 200 mg to 100 mg 2017 september tapered my last tablet of 25 mg amitriptyline to zero  (horrible muscle pain started) 2018 february tapered lyrica from 100 mg to 75 mg (my muscle pain got worse and I have a lot of nervepain in my arms and legs, sometimes all over musclepain and nerve pain and burning pain) 2018 may reinstated 25 mg lyrica. My current dose is 100 mg lyrica. My pain is still very bad but a little less intense, my mood improved. 2018 since 22th may updose amitriptyline.  9 beads. 2018 june updosing lyrica. 2018 16 th june 125 mg lyrica and 9 beads amitriptyline ( 2mg) Now I'm doing a long hold. I can't taper anymore. Too much pain. I hope to stabilize and improve while holding. I'm trying graded activity to get rid of my pain. 2019 1 jan. Lyrica 125 mg (holding) 2019 1 jan. Amitriptyline tapering from 9 beads to 8 beads (1 jan. 2019),  8,5 beads (5 jan 19), 9 beads (16 jan 19) tapper attempt failed

• 1 month later...

@WiggleIt

Hi,

I see in 2018 you state your Anhedonia eventually healed. How long did that take?

Keep Safe

Regards

Leo