WiggleIt: Tardive dyskinesia & dystonia from TCAs/nortriptyline/desipramine; rapid taper & benzo trouble, too

WiggleIt

I would undoubtedly screw up the taper. I only passed chemistry cheating off the girl who sat in front of me.

This made me laugh! You will be ok!! :) there is lots of help here.

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

• Moderator Emeritus

I would undoubtedly screw up the taper. I only passed chemistry cheating off the girl who sat in front of me.

I cheated off my boyfriend!  And the nuns caught me and TOTALLY embarrassed me in front of the class.  

*I'm not a doctor and don't give medical advice, just personal experience
**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not
-Dual cold turkeys off TCA & Ativan in Oct 2014. Prescribed from 2011-2014

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Desipramine Jan 2014 - Oct. 29, 2014 (rapid taper/cold turkey)

-Lorazepam 1 mg per night during 2011
-Lorazepam 1 mg per month in 2012 (or less)

-Lorazepam on & off, Dec 2013 through Aug 2014. Didn't exceed 3x a week

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged
-7 years off: Huge improvements, incl. improved dystonia

• Moderator Emeritus

We will all recover because we are good people unselfishly reaching out to others who are suffering in the midst of our own anguish. God smiles on people like us. I just know it. With all my gastro issues in w/d, I went in last September to have my gallbladder removed. I coded on the table. Doctors revived me. Didn't have NDE darn it. But I know God saved me. As He will ALL of us because He has something else in mind for us. It is just around the corner.

I totally believe God saved you and I think your sentiment is true about all of us helping others throughout our suffering…

**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged

I cheated off my boyfriend! And the nuns caught me and TOTALLY embarrassed me in front of the class.

Nuns!!! I had nuns in HS!! :)

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

I cheated off my boyfriend! And the nuns caught me and TOTALLY embarrassed me in front of the class.
Nuns!!! I had nuns in HS!! :)

January 2012 - Prescribed 900mg gabapentin and 30mg Norco for lower lumber spinal stenosis pain.

September 2013 - Spinal fusion surgery, 6 levels. Hospital ramped up meds 1500mg gabapentin, 100mg Norco, 80mg Oxycontin, 25mg Fentanyl patch.

January 2014 - Sever nausea daily and with back pain every 4 hours. 2 trips to ER. First endoscopy found ulcer. Treated with Sucralfate and PPI. Second endo in May found no ulcers. Doctors said it was the opiates causing the nausea. CT'd Oxycontin, Fentanyl patch.

July 2014 - Lost 48 lbs. due to not eating because of severe nausea. GP prescribed Prozac 20mg and Ativan 2mg prn. Tried for 4 days, quit. Two week followup GP said keep taking Prozac. 4 days, quit again. Ativan taken rarely prn for anxiety and appetite.

August 2014 - Went to detox. Off opiates. Still nauseous, helmet head, drugged feeling. Doctor CT'd gabapentin. Ended up in ER. Found 2 gallstones. Gabapentin reinstated at 900mg. Tried botched up and down taper to get off Gabapentin. No tapering advice from doctor. Said to just CT again.

September 2014 - Coded on table during gallbladder surgery. Developed liver biloma due to CPR by doctor. Had bile bulb inserted for 2 wks to drain.

October 2014 - Gallbladder removed. Still nauseous, 3am cortisol surging, drugged helmet head, vertigo, breathlessness, whooshing head, heart palps.

November 8th, 2014 - CT'd gabapentin suggested by family and 4 different doctors. Was told no withdrawal is associated with gabapentin. Have been in hell ever since. No windows, just one big tsunami every day with same symptoms for 4 months.

December 26, 2014 - Found SA. At least I know I'm not insane. My family thinks I'm doing this to myself. Akathesia has become unbearable.

March 10, 2015 - In absolute daily hell with no relief. Currently taking magnesium 200mg before bedtime.

Catholic grammar school and high school. I was born and raised on guilt. The nuns used to tell us that, when we die, all our sins will be put on a big drive-in screen for all the world to see. Wonder how many of those angry nuns were on psyche drugs. ALL OF THEM!

January 2012 - Prescribed 900mg gabapentin and 30mg Norco for lower lumber spinal stenosis pain.

September 2013 - Spinal fusion surgery, 6 levels. Hospital ramped up meds 1500mg gabapentin, 100mg Norco, 80mg Oxycontin, 25mg Fentanyl patch.

January 2014 - Sever nausea daily and with back pain every 4 hours. 2 trips to ER. First endoscopy found ulcer. Treated with Sucralfate and PPI. Second endo in May found no ulcers. Doctors said it was the opiates causing the nausea. CT'd Oxycontin, Fentanyl patch.

July 2014 - Lost 48 lbs. due to not eating because of severe nausea. GP prescribed Prozac 20mg and Ativan 2mg prn. Tried for 4 days, quit. Two week followup GP said keep taking Prozac. 4 days, quit again. Ativan taken rarely prn for anxiety and appetite.

August 2014 - Went to detox. Off opiates. Still nauseous, helmet head, drugged feeling. Doctor CT'd gabapentin. Ended up in ER. Found 2 gallstones. Gabapentin reinstated at 900mg. Tried botched up and down taper to get off Gabapentin. No tapering advice from doctor. Said to just CT again.

September 2014 - Coded on table during gallbladder surgery. Developed liver biloma due to CPR by doctor. Had bile bulb inserted for 2 wks to drain.

October 2014 - Gallbladder removed. Still nauseous, 3am cortisol surging, drugged helmet head, vertigo, breathlessness, whooshing head, heart palps.

November 8th, 2014 - CT'd gabapentin suggested by family and 4 different doctors. Was told no withdrawal is associated with gabapentin. Have been in hell ever since. No windows, just one big tsunami every day with same symptoms for 4 months.

December 26, 2014 - Found SA. At least I know I'm not insane. My family thinks I'm doing this to myself. Akathesia has become unbearable.

March 10, 2015 - In absolute daily hell with no relief. Currently taking magnesium 200mg before bedtime.

Wish my withdrawal agony had been projected on a movie screen for me to see before I took my first pill...

Now THAT'S a horror movie and I'm a Supah-Stahhh!

How ya doing Wiggle?

I get to go to sleep tonight Whenever THAT happens) with this lovely thought in mind! Thank you, Sky!

Hey no problem, glad to be of help!

WI, don't worry about freaking out, if you could have seen me in real life when I was in the worst of this you wouldn't even think what you were doing was freaking out. I was a right hot mess.

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

• Moderator Emeritus

How ya doing Wiggle?

Bad. Really bad. I had a few good hours earlier today, but terrible head tremors began when trying to fall asleep.

Also, I am starting to get brain zaps as I fall asleep, and face scrunching as I fall asleep. Face scrunch had settled down a bit, but is now back accompanied with pins and needles feeling on face, so much scarier.

Thinking about reinstating and going down slower, but don't want to run risk of making self worse and entering lifetime spiral of psych drug dependence. Also, what if this hell happens again?

How you, Pug?

• Moderator Emeritus

Wish my withdrawal agony had been projected on a movie screen for me to see before I took my first pill...

Truth. Wish it had been projected for my doctors to see before they prescribed it.

Also, wish they had known how to make CORRECT diagnoses so they could have spared me this.

WI, just stopping by with best wishes for improvement, and at least a peaceful day.

Prayers.

Zoloft 100 mg. daily for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since Oct. 1994 / Synthroid 88 mcg. daily / Supplements: Neptune Krill Oil-1,000 mg. twice daily/Astaxanthin 10 mg. twice daily/Ubiquinol 100 mg. twice daily (These 3 have allowed me to discontinue (approved by doctor) bp meds I was on. Calcium Citrate 500 mg. daily/Vitamin D3 2,400 iu daily/K2 (MK7) 100 mcg daily (osteopenia and fam. hist. of severe osteoporosis). Stress B Complex (1/2 dose)/Quercetin (for allergies/asthma)/Magnesium (400 mg. oral glycinate and about 50 mg. magnesium chloride spray oil a day, divided throughout day).

Tapered Zoloft about 6 wks. Totally off since the end of July (25-29, 2014). 3 wks. vertigo at end of taper, then 3-4 wks. OK, followed by withdrawal symptoms increasing in severity (nausea, gastric disturbances, loss of appetite, insomnia, restlessness, jitters, anxiety, agitation--jumping out of my skin--possible akathisia?) Seem to have paradoxical reactions to everything new, even Vitamin C. Severity of akathisia comes and goes, but is constant to some degree. Hard to leave house, and cannot be home alone. (Retired)

• Moderator Emeritus

Knit,

You must be a kindred spirit bc I was just going to head to your thread and check in on you.

• Moderator Emeritus

Finally getting around to asking some specific Qs about a possible reinstatement after CW and Alto and some other mods and peeps gave me some general tips on the RI thread...

Here is the backstory:

-I was put on Ativan in 2011 for pelvic pain and bladder urgency and took 1 mg per night

-In May 2012, my doc had me rapid taper off Ativan and put me on nortriptyline.  I did not notice any probs at this time.  Pain seemed better on 20 mg nortrip and I very rarely needed to use 1 mg Ativan, only in emergencies about once a month

-I was on nortriptyline from May 2012 - Dec 2013   

-Doc had me rapid taper off nortrip and quickly updosed me to 60 mg desipramine in January 2014, bc my bladder symptoms were no longer being helped by nortriptyline

-Things (in terms of chronic pain) didn't seem better on desipramine, so I decreased desipramine by 10 mg each month throughout 2014.  Held at 30.

-I was really sick throughout all 2014.  Muscle twitching, tremors, lethargy, nausea, dehydration, diarrhea, right leg dragging and started needing a cane at all times, shoulders constantly pinched upward, left shoulder blade cripplingly rigid, trouble swallowing, constantly choking on food, trouble breathing

-I was using occasional Ativan from Dec 2013 - October 2014, but had paradoxical reactions to all benzos after going off of desipramine

Here are the questions:

-How do I know if I was withdrawing from nortriptyline while I was on desipramine?

-Or was I withdrawing from desipramine for all of 2014 because I was going down by those 10 mg jumps?

-Or was I having adverse reactions to desipramine while I was on it?

-Or were the adverse reactions to desipramine simply an illusion bc I was actually withdrawing from nortriptyline, as opposed to reacting badly to the desipramine?

-I am off TCAs as of October 29, 2014.  Off benzos as of Nov 2, 2014

-I am getting close to the 3 month mark off TCAs.  Is it too late to RI?

-If not, which TCA would I RI?  The first one I was on, or the last one I was on?  I ask that because of the confusion with the switch the doctor made me do

Also, I found an article written by a team of military psychiatrists about discontinuation syndrome and it talks specifically about what happens when docs cold switch people from one AD to another.  It was published in American Family Physician:

"Antidepressant discontinuation syndrome has been reported when switching from one antidepressant agent to another. When the new agent has different pharmacologic mechanism reactions than the first agent, antidepressant discontinuation syndrome may be misinterpreted as intolerable side effects from the new medication."

Unfortunately, the article perpetuates the myth that withdrawal (a.k.a. syndrome) only last 1-2 weeks, but it did have other useful info about meds, half-lives, and symptoms.

Here is a link to the whole thing:

http://www.aafp.org/afp/2006/0801/p449.html

Any help with my questions above would be great!

• Moderator Emeritus

Also, I had brain zaps start two days ago.  I was so grateful because I thought I wasn't coming down with those, but now they've started.

Also, if RI goes poorly, I've read here on this site that once you make a choice, you HAVE to stick with it in order to allow your nervous system to stabilize. So if I RI, I am stuck there.

Basically, the point of any choice is to stabilize.  Well, if RI doesn't help, then I'm stuck with the chemicals in my body, right, and I'd have to slow taper off the RI?  And if I RI, how long do I have stay on again before I start the slow taper?  

I don't want to do anything that will cause me to ping-pong around my already messed up nervous system and, so far, the ONLY thing I have in my favor is the fact that I have managed to avoid a slew of going on and off meds.  I am concerned that RI could open a door to beginning the ping-ponging.

Of course, I don't want to flop around every day or have a seizure, and I'm afraid that these new brain zaps could be the open door to eventually having a seizure.

CW and Alto have suggested reinstating btwn 1-3 mgs.  I cannot get into a new doctor for another week, and I have no idea if this person will be amenable to helping me, or have any kind of knowledge base.

I'm truly terrified to reinstate and terrified not to.  I know that it has to be my choice and y'all can only give me your best advice.  You've already given me a lot. Now that I've added more details, maybe it can help some of you guys to help me.

• Administrator

Finally getting around to asking some specific Qs about a possible reinstatement after CW and Alto and some other mods and peeps gave me some general tips on the RI thread...

Here is the backstory:

-I was put on Ativan in 2011 for pelvic pain and bladder urgency and took 1 mg per night

-In May 2012, my doc had me rapid taper off Ativan and put me on nortriptyline.  I did not notice any probs at this time.  Pain seemed better on 20 mg nortrip and I very rarely needed to use 1 mg Ativan, only in emergencies about once a month

-I was on nortriptyline from May 2012 - Dec 2013   

-Doc had me rapid taper off nortrip and quickly updosed me to 60 mg desipramine in January 2014, bc my bladder symptoms were no longer being helped by nortriptyline

-Things (in terms of chronic pain) didn't seem better on desipramine, so I decreased desipramine by 10 mg each month throughout 2014.  Held at 30.

-I was really sick throughout all 2014.  Muscle twitching, tremors, lethargy, nausea, dehydration, diarrhea, right leg dragging and started needing a cane at all times, shoulders constantly pinched upward, left shoulder blade cripplingly rigid, trouble swallowing, constantly choking on food, trouble breathing

-I was using occasional Ativan from Dec 2013 - October 2014, but had paradoxical reactions to all benzos after going off of desipramine

Here are the questions:

-How do I know if I was withdrawing from nortriptyline while I was on desipramine?

-Or was I withdrawing from desipramine for all of 2014 because I was going down by those 10 mg jumps?

-Or was I having adverse reactions to desipramine while I was on it?

-Or were the adverse reactions to desipramine simply an illusion bc I was actually withdrawing from nortriptyline, as opposed to reacting badly to the desipramine?

-I am off TCAs as of October 29, 2014.  Off benzos as of Nov 2, 2014

-I am getting close to the 3 month mark off TCAs.  Is it too late to RI?

-If not, which TCA would I RI?  The first one I was on, or the last one I was on?  I ask that because of the confusion with the switch the doctor made me do

Also, I found an article written by a team of military psychiatrists about discontinuation syndrome and it talks specifically about what happens when docs cold switch people from one AD to another.  It was published in American Family Physician:

"Antidepressant discontinuation syndrome has been reported when switching from one antidepressant agent to another. When the new agent has different pharmacologic mechanism reactions than the first agent, antidepressant discontinuation syndrome may be misinterpreted as intolerable side effects from the new medication."

Unfortunately, the article perpetuates the myth that withdrawal (a.k.a. syndrome) only last 1-2 weeks, but it did have other useful info about meds, half-lives, and symptoms.

Here is a link to the whole thing:

http://www.aafp.org/afp/2006/0801/p449.html

Any help with my questions above would be great!

WiggleIt, I would put the question of reinstatement aside. My impression is your nervous system is so sensitive, this would not be a good idea.

You mentioned a neurologist specializing in movement disorders. Is there any way you can see this doctor faster? Perhaps ask to be put on the waiting list in case of cancellations?

You might discuss a nervous system-calming drug such as lamotrigine at a very low dose. Read these topics

One theory of antidepressant withdrawal syndrome

dysautonomia

Yes, your problems may date from when you switched from nortriptyline to desipramine. Whether they were withdrawal symptoms from nortriptyline or adverse reactions to desipramine, I don't believe you can tell.

Please try to stay calm. Anxiety can make your symptoms worse.

Yes, people do recover from very severe symptom patterns, including tardive dyskinesia.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi WI, just checking in to see what is going on.  I wish the movement disorder doctor would get you in sooner.  It bugs me you have been left in limbo like this unsure as to what is happening. Regardless I will be thinking of you and praying for your healing. 

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

• Moderator Emeritus

Sky and Alto,

Thank you. My parents are helping me stay on top of the doctors to try and get in sooner.

I will look into that new medication and see if it is something I am comfortable with. If it's another beast that crossesy blood brain barrier. Sick now must go.

Hey there. I hope the dr helps you. I'm sorry I've been too busy lamenting my own situation and being a manic basket-case to reply to your thread lately.

Praying for you and hope you get some answers.

Wigglelt, thank you for stopping by my post, my heart breaks for you. I thank god that you have your parents to care for you and support you. Time is all our enemies.

Spring of 1998 place on birth control pills for irregular bleeding, high testosterone and one ovarian cyst, stayed on until April 2004, told to take hormone holiday, conceived first son 4 months later-VERY BIG SUPRISE, was told wouldn't be able to have childern or would need reproductive doctor to help. Got pregnant again 2006 with second son easily, then was on/off birthcontrol again until October 2011, concieved 3rd son in October 2011(tried many times to get pregant again when 2nd child was close to 2yrs, hormone problems started again after 2nd child, along with thyroid enlargement.

Spring of 2001 celexa 10 mgs-rx'd by pcp for complaints of chronic fatigue, irritability and weight gain, stayed on until June 2005, switched to Lexapro 20mgs for PPD, stayed on Lexapro 6-7 months, couldn't afford to see psyh dr. and Lexapro, saw PCP switched back to 20mgs celexa in 2007, remained on until November 2011, was c/t off due to 3rd pregnancy, baby had umbilical cord defect, seemed ok during pregnancy, except for crying jags here and there. Our miracle baby was born July 20th 2012, healthy except with reflux. One month later the anxiety,restlessness,horrible crying, insomnia and the deepest depression ever. That started the psyh drug nightmare-benzo's,antidepressants, sleeping pills, mood stablizers. Nothing help made me worse, doctors just kept changing the meds frequently. 4 mental health hospitalizations, rapid detox off benzos Jan 2013, horrible withdrawal and still suffering withdrawal symptoms NO ONE BELIEVES ME, I feel like ive been on one consistant drug withdrawal for the past 2 years

January 2014 slow titrate up of lexapro to 20 mgs-horrible side effects!!, was just rapidly taper by current pysh off to pursade me to try an MAOI-no way!!! Was told should consider ECT

• Moderator Emeritus

Been very light and sound sensitive past few days, so not able to stop by as many of my friends' threads as usual and have only been able to leave fairly short messages, but please know that I am always thinking of all of you.

• Moderator Emeritus

I feel like I had my best window last week, but then it was followed by my worst wave.  Is this a normal pattern?  I keep hearing that things are supposed to get better little by little, so I was shocked by this worsening wave.

WI, this is something that just happens. I tell people not to get attached to either windows OR waves because they will flip flop often. Just do what you can to take care of yourself and let us know how your doctor's appt goes next week.

Recovery from any psychoactive med is not linear, it's just not.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

I feel like I had my best window last week, but then it was followed by my worst wave.  Is this a normal pattern?  I keep hearing that things are supposed to get better little by little, so I was shocked by this worsening wave.

It doesn't always happen like this, but the pattern you describe is extremely common. Distressing til you realize it's quite a normal part of the overall healing pattern, but it's nothing to be alarmed about. It was my pattern for a long time once I started getting waves and windows. Apparently it's part of the body rebalancing itself as it does the complex and amazing job of healing and normalizing. Someone named Jen on another group long ago described it as a "Rubik's cube," which many of us found very apt.

When I started having this pattern (for too long my withdrawal was just one long worsening wave, which was very discouraging), my feeling was that I had gone back to square one. I later learned that although that's what the brain thinks at first, it is absolutely NOT the case.

The best way fior me to deal with those waves following windows once I realized how the process works, was to realize and then keep reminding myself that any improvement was proof that I could indeed feel better and wasn't going to remain in withdrawal. That knowledge is huge! But the recovery is notoriously a non-linear process. And in time, you will get more and better windows, and more frequently, with the waves diminishing. The key is giving the body time to do all the intricate maneuvering involved in the healing process.

I was "TryingToGetWell" (aka TTGW) on paxilprogress. I also was one of the original members here on Surviving Antidepressants

I had horrific and protracted withdrawal from paxil, but now am back to enjoying life with enthusiasm to the max, some residual physical symptoms continued but largely improve. The horror, severe derealization, anhedonia, akathisia, and so much more, are long over.

My signature is a temporary scribble from year 2013. I'll rewrite it when I can.

If you want to read it, click on http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/209-brandy-anyone/?p=110343

CW posted while I was typing. We are so familiar with the non-linear nature of withdrawal here!

I was "TryingToGetWell" (aka TTGW) on paxilprogress. I also was one of the original members here on Surviving Antidepressants

I had horrific and protracted withdrawal from paxil, but now am back to enjoying life with enthusiasm to the max, some residual physical symptoms continued but largely improve. The horror, severe derealization, anhedonia, akathisia, and so much more, are long over.

My signature is a temporary scribble from year 2013. I'll rewrite it when I can.

If you want to read it, click on http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/209-brandy-anyone/?p=110343

Ah yes, the famed Rubik's cube analogy, I always loved that one!  So apt.

WI, I am sorry things have slid for you.  It's definitely not unusual for this to happen though.  Try not to get discouraged.  Thanks for stopping by my thread even though you aren't feeling well.  I appreciate it, the article you posted was quite helpful.

I am sorry you have the sensitivities going on too.  They were bad for me.  If you haven't done this already, try turning down the brightness of your computer screen. It will help a bit.  

Also there's a thread around about blue blocking glasses (special kind of glasses with yellow lenses) that others have said were helpful.  If things are really bad you might look into getting a pair. 

I had to wear sunglasses sometimes, even indoors.  The sensitivites do go away.

Thinking of you,

US

WI, sorry I have not been by as often as I would like. I've been in a pretty bad way lately--and now finally figuring out I actually am dealing with some sort of bug, on top of withdrawal.

I hope you are able to make a definite decision regarding reinstatement. Glad Alto got back with you on this, since she seems to be very knowledgeable. Also hope you are able to see the doctor you are wanting to see soon. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Zoloft 100 mg. daily for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since Oct. 1994 / Synthroid 88 mcg. daily / Supplements: Neptune Krill Oil-1,000 mg. twice daily/Astaxanthin 10 mg. twice daily/Ubiquinol 100 mg. twice daily (These 3 have allowed me to discontinue (approved by doctor) bp meds I was on. Calcium Citrate 500 mg. daily/Vitamin D3 2,400 iu daily/K2 (MK7) 100 mcg daily (osteopenia and fam. hist. of severe osteoporosis). Stress B Complex (1/2 dose)/Quercetin (for allergies/asthma)/Magnesium (400 mg. oral glycinate and about 50 mg. magnesium chloride spray oil a day, divided throughout day).

Tapered Zoloft about 6 wks. Totally off since the end of July (25-29, 2014). 3 wks. vertigo at end of taper, then 3-4 wks. OK, followed by withdrawal symptoms increasing in severity (nausea, gastric disturbances, loss of appetite, insomnia, restlessness, jitters, anxiety, agitation--jumping out of my skin--possible akathisia?) Seem to have paradoxical reactions to everything new, even Vitamin C. Severity of akathisia comes and goes, but is constant to some degree. Hard to leave house, and cannot be home alone. (Retired)

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm doing awful.  Bladder pain bad.  Right side of body, the side that got weakened by the TCAs, is increasing in tremors and is also colder than the left side of my body.

Has this happened to anybody else?  Does it go away?  Is my body forgetting how to circulate its own blood?

• Moderator Emeritus

Increasing tremors on right side of body.  Don't want to lose use of right arm.  Increasing tremors in feet.  Bladder pain worse than I remember it being pre-meds.

• Moderator Emeritus

I feel I am doing a bad job stopping by others' threads bc I am so mired in my own illness, which makes me think I will not receive the karmic blessing of others coming to my thread.

WI, don't worry about it, do whatever you can.  We're all at different stages in this and some are able to do more than others, don't burden yourself unduly.

We're still here. :)

Also about your questions I am not sure of the answers.  Hopefully others will pop in here, seems to be a bit of a slow day around here or maybe that's just me. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Sky, you have no idea how much I love you. Sometimes I feel like you are an angel here just to comfort me. Your kindness is always ready when I most desolate. I hope I am well enough someday to comfort you if you need it.

Yes! I have the coldness in one side of my body, especially when symptoms ramp up. My main symptom now appears something like hypomania. It's awful!!!! But if I get cold quickly, I know it's coming and lately it's on my left side. It's just CNS wonky and it will correct in time.

Having a bad night myself, Wiggle, but my thoughts and prayers are with you.