WiggleIt: Tardive dyskinesia & dystonia from TCAs/nortriptyline/desipramine; rapid taper & benzo trouble, too

WiggleIt

WiggleIt

You don't know that. Like you said, TD induced from TCA and benzo is a rare condition. You don't know what will happen, and besides you are a unique individual with a unique body chemistry. You don't know if you won't recover. It's not a fact. Try to make the best out of your life as it is right now, but don't abandon hope. 7 months is early on, you don't know what will happen in a year. 

I suffer from depression, anxiety, pure-o ocd, and panic attacks since 2004. Been on multiple different psychiatric drugs since 2006. Never had a significant WD problem before, only brain zaps for a month and then I'd be fine...............Been on Cipralex (escitalopram) 15 mg and Fluanxol (flupentixol) 1 mg since Sep 2014. Stopped taking the Cipralex after a fast 20-day taper.Took the last 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 5th, 2015. Then took Seroxat (paroxetine) 10 mg for a week, and stopped it too. Severe WD started suddenly on Feb 16th. RI 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 18th, 2015. RI worked and was relatively stable for a while................April 7 - decreased Fluanxol from 1 mg to 0.5 mg and took it at this dose for a week. - BIG MISTAKE; April 13 - WD starts creeping in; April 14 - RI full dose of Fluanxol 1 mg => severe muscle twitching and jerking when trying to relax and fall asleep, overwhelming sense of doom, dread, terror, and horror, insomnia, hoping to stabilize.
Tried doing a 10% cut off Fluanxol in the end of May for a few days, but quickly updosed to full dose because the twitching returned.
Experiencing waves and windows in the following months.
Unsuccessful brief taper attempt of Fluanxol by 5% on November 1st. Symptoms hit the next day. Too scared to continue tapering, reinstate full dose.
Severe crash in November after stupidly trying a barbiturate on November 9th. Grave mistake. Sense of unshakable inescapable internal torture, like my soul is in hell being tortured, terror/horror/dread/doom (probably akathisia?) that gets especially bad when trying to relax and fall asleep, muscles twitch, jerk and move on their own, shaking, insomnia, can't eat, confusion, disorientation, brain not working normally. Never felt so bad in my entire life. Never experiment with other meds while in WD! Praying to God I stabilize and get back to my baseline.
December - things getting even worse.

January - unbearable suffering

Hey ((((WiggleIt)))). I know you're down in the dumps. We're both the same time off. It's really tough to endure this amount of suffering for this many months and keep hope alive. Believe me. I get it. I'm here for you.

I'm grateful my anal spasms have temporarily moved to my bellybutton. Still painful, but can't fart out the spasm. TMI, I know, but thought I'd give you hope that some symptoms can change, maybe not in nature, but in location. Is this an example of my brain trying to fix something?

Your dystonia is not permanent. It will go away in time. Maybe it will move to a new location. Like France.

January 2012 - Prescribed 900mg gabapentin and 30mg Norco for lower lumber spinal stenosis pain.

September 2013 - Spinal fusion surgery, 6 levels. Hospital ramped up meds 1500mg gabapentin, 100mg Norco, 80mg Oxycontin, 25mg Fentanyl patch.

January 2014 - Sever nausea daily and with back pain every 4 hours. 2 trips to ER. First endoscopy found ulcer. Treated with Sucralfate and PPI. Second endo in May found no ulcers. Doctors said it was the opiates causing the nausea. CT'd Oxycontin, Fentanyl patch.

July 2014 - Lost 48 lbs. due to not eating because of severe nausea. GP prescribed Prozac 20mg and Ativan 2mg prn. Tried for 4 days, quit. Two week followup GP said keep taking Prozac. 4 days, quit again. Ativan taken rarely prn for anxiety and appetite.

August 2014 - Went to detox. Off opiates. Still nauseous, helmet head, drugged feeling. Doctor CT'd gabapentin. Ended up in ER. Found 2 gallstones. Gabapentin reinstated at 900mg. Tried botched up and down taper to get off Gabapentin. No tapering advice from doctor. Said to just CT again.

September 2014 - Coded on table during gallbladder surgery. Developed liver biloma due to CPR by doctor. Had bile bulb inserted for 2 wks to drain.

October 2014 - Gallbladder removed. Still nauseous, 3am cortisol surging, drugged helmet head, vertigo, breathlessness, whooshing head, heart palps.

November 8th, 2014 - CT'd gabapentin suggested by family and 4 different doctors. Was told no withdrawal is associated with gabapentin. Have been in hell ever since. No windows, just one big tsunami every day with same symptoms for 4 months.

December 26, 2014 - Found SA. At least I know I'm not insane. My family thinks I'm doing this to myself. Akathesia has become unbearable.

March 10, 2015 - In absolute daily hell with no relief. Currently taking magnesium 200mg before bedtime.

• Moderator Emeritus

WiggleIt

You don't know that. Like you said, TD induced from TCA and benzo is a rare condition. You don't know what will happen, and besides you are a unique individual with a unique body chemistry. You don't know if you won't recover. It's not a fact. Try to make the best out of your life as it is right now, but don't abandon hope. 7 months is early on, you don't know what will happen in a year. 

Thank you, Blue.  I feel so guilty when you read my thread because you are still new and I don't mean to scare you.

*I'm not a doctor and don't give medical advice, just personal experience
**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not
-Dual cold turkeys off TCA & Ativan in Oct 2014. Prescribed from 2011-2014

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Desipramine Jan 2014 - Oct. 29, 2014 (rapid taper/cold turkey)

-Lorazepam 1 mg per night during 2011
-Lorazepam 1 mg per month in 2012 (or less)

-Lorazepam on & off, Dec 2013 through Aug 2014. Didn't exceed 3x a week

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged
-7 years off: Huge improvements, incl. improved dystonia

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey ((((WiggleIt)))). I know you're down in the dumps. We're both the same time off. It's really tough to endure this amount of suffering for this many months and keep hope alive. Believe me. I get it. I'm here for you.

I'm grateful my anal spasms have temporarily moved to my bellybutton. Still painful, but can't fart out the spasm. TMI, I know, but thought I'd give you hope that some symptoms can change, maybe not in nature, but in location. Is this an example of my brain trying to fix something?

Your dystonia is not permanent. It will go away in time. Maybe it will move to a new location. Like France.

OMG, I get anal spasms, too!  And butthole zaps.

**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged

Aren't we the life of the party? Put lampshades on our heads and they'd call us the entertainment.

January 2012 - Prescribed 900mg gabapentin and 30mg Norco for lower lumber spinal stenosis pain.

September 2013 - Spinal fusion surgery, 6 levels. Hospital ramped up meds 1500mg gabapentin, 100mg Norco, 80mg Oxycontin, 25mg Fentanyl patch.

January 2014 - Sever nausea daily and with back pain every 4 hours. 2 trips to ER. First endoscopy found ulcer. Treated with Sucralfate and PPI. Second endo in May found no ulcers. Doctors said it was the opiates causing the nausea. CT'd Oxycontin, Fentanyl patch.

July 2014 - Lost 48 lbs. due to not eating because of severe nausea. GP prescribed Prozac 20mg and Ativan 2mg prn. Tried for 4 days, quit. Two week followup GP said keep taking Prozac. 4 days, quit again. Ativan taken rarely prn for anxiety and appetite.

August 2014 - Went to detox. Off opiates. Still nauseous, helmet head, drugged feeling. Doctor CT'd gabapentin. Ended up in ER. Found 2 gallstones. Gabapentin reinstated at 900mg. Tried botched up and down taper to get off Gabapentin. No tapering advice from doctor. Said to just CT again.

September 2014 - Coded on table during gallbladder surgery. Developed liver biloma due to CPR by doctor. Had bile bulb inserted for 2 wks to drain.

October 2014 - Gallbladder removed. Still nauseous, 3am cortisol surging, drugged helmet head, vertigo, breathlessness, whooshing head, heart palps.

November 8th, 2014 - CT'd gabapentin suggested by family and 4 different doctors. Was told no withdrawal is associated with gabapentin. Have been in hell ever since. No windows, just one big tsunami every day with same symptoms for 4 months.

December 26, 2014 - Found SA. At least I know I'm not insane. My family thinks I'm doing this to myself. Akathesia has become unbearable.

March 10, 2015 - In absolute daily hell with no relief. Currently taking magnesium 200mg before bedtime.

• Moderator Emeritus

Facial scrunches have returned. Lips twitch. Eyes close involuntarily.

Huge body jerks waking me from sleep. Brain keeps clicking itself awake from sleep.

• Moderator Emeritus

PLEASE, please. Please...

Has anybody recovered from dystonia?

Has anybody recovered from facial tics?

Please help me, somebody. Please. I can't live with this dystonia and or the facial tics.

I've seen ONE recovery about facial tics and that person tapered slowly and I didn't and I have lost hope.

I've seen ZERO recoveries about dystonia.

WiggleIt

Thank you, Blue.  I feel so guilty when you read my thread because you are still new and I don't mean to scare you.

There's nothing to feel guilty about WiggleIt. We deal with what we're facing. I think my withdrawal will be very similar to yours because it seems that muscle twitches and tics are my primary symptom too. But I also get psychological torment along with the tics. Each time I spasm terror overwhelms me. It happens when I am relaxed and trying to sleep mostly, but I guess it will transfer during the day too when I advance with my tapering.

I suffer from depression, anxiety, pure-o ocd, and panic attacks since 2004. Been on multiple different psychiatric drugs since 2006. Never had a significant WD problem before, only brain zaps for a month and then I'd be fine...............Been on Cipralex (escitalopram) 15 mg and Fluanxol (flupentixol) 1 mg since Sep 2014. Stopped taking the Cipralex after a fast 20-day taper.Took the last 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 5th, 2015. Then took Seroxat (paroxetine) 10 mg for a week, and stopped it too. Severe WD started suddenly on Feb 16th. RI 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 18th, 2015. RI worked and was relatively stable for a while................April 7 - decreased Fluanxol from 1 mg to 0.5 mg and took it at this dose for a week. - BIG MISTAKE; April 13 - WD starts creeping in; April 14 - RI full dose of Fluanxol 1 mg => severe muscle twitching and jerking when trying to relax and fall asleep, overwhelming sense of doom, dread, terror, and horror, insomnia, hoping to stabilize.
Tried doing a 10% cut off Fluanxol in the end of May for a few days, but quickly updosed to full dose because the twitching returned.
Unsuccessful brief taper attempt of Fluanxol by 5% on November 1st. Symptoms hit the next day. Too scared to continue tapering, reinstate full dose.
Severe crash in November after stupidly trying a barbiturate on November 9th. Grave mistake. Sense of unshakable inescapable internal torture, like my soul is in hell being tortured, terror/horror/dread/doom (probably akathisia?) that gets especially bad when trying to relax and fall asleep, muscles twitch, jerk and move on their own, shaking, insomnia, can't eat, confusion, disorientation, brain not working normally. Never felt so bad in my entire life. Never experiment with other meds while in WD! Praying to God I stabilize and get back to my baseline.

((((WiggleIt)))) You're going to be okay. We are early in WD. We need time to heal. Love, Pug

• Moderator Emeritus

I have joined several dystonia support groups and have found zero cases of people who have recovered from medication-induced dystonia.  

Plus, I am a member of many chronic pain support groups and have encountered people there who developed tardive dystonia after tricyclic antidepressants and none of them have recovered from the dystonia, either.

Plus, I found a new antidepressant support group and found people there with tardive dystonia who have not recovered, either.  

Literally zero people have recovered from what I have.  Also, it's a myth that it is only caused by neuroleptics.  I'm running into plenty of people who have developed it from other stuff.

Now I know that I will be disabled the rest of my life.  I guess it's better than hoping for a miracle like some fool. 

Sweetheart, you are going to recover. I promise you. There is no permanent damage in your brain, no matter how many support groups you join, or how many internet sites you visit, or how many horror stories you read. You and I are going to HEAL from all this in TIME. We are in the early stages of this WD nightmare.

Don't give up on yourself and your ability to heal so soon. After a couple of years, if you're still this bad off (and you won't be) THEN you can throw in the towel and you and I will buy matching wheelchairs, which we will decorate with sparklers and toilet paper. We will be a rolling fire hazard.

• Moderator Emeritus

I've read lots of akathisia recovery stories, Pug, so I know you will heal.  I've read zero medication-induced dystonia recoveries.  Plenty of people with medication-induced dystonia years out from the drugs.  I've heard all kinds of amazing psych med recoveries and none of them contain dystonia recovery.

I asked Alto and she didn't know of any. 

• Administrator

Please remember that people who are participating in Web support forums are those who have prolonged issues. The people who recovered have no reason to look for a forum and post.

Have you see this site? https://www.dystonia-foundation.org/what-is-dystonia/forms-of-dystonia/secondary-dystonia/more-on-secondary-dystonia

It seems most research looks at disease-caused dystonias rather than iatrogenic dystonias http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/dystonia.html

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Administrator

Without much searching, I am finding reports of recovery. Googling "dystonia recovery":

http://musicians-focal-dystonia.com/role-models-recovery-musicians-focal-dystonia/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Musicians-Focal-Dystonia-Recovery-is-Possible/124664920903885

http://www.davidvining.net/narrative.html

full recovery from dystonia http://curefordystonia.com/tag/full-recovery-from-dystonia/

http://www.ipsen.co.uk/ipsen_dystonia.php

The progress of dystonia is unpredictable. The severity of symptoms can vary from day to day, and while there often is an element of overall progression, it is difficult to estimate how long this will last. Typically, a focal dystonia will progress very gradually over a five-year period, and then progress no further. Symptoms in all dystonic conditions can vary.

For some people, their dystonia may sometimes improve or disappear altogether for no apparent reason. The likelihood of a total remission of symptoms has been estimated as somewhere between one-in-ten and one-in-twenty. In some cases, the dystonia may eventually return, but in others it will disappear completely.

There is a difference between "there is no cure" and "there is no recovery." "There is no cure" means medicine hasn't found treatments that reliably eliminate the symptoms. "Recovery" can take place in other ways.

From a very brief review of what I found on the Web, in primary (disease-caused) dystonia, "spontaneous" recovery occurs about 10% of the time -- as reported by doctors.

Acupuncture, chiropractic, and physical therapy can help -- to what extent have you explored these, WiggleIt?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus

I've read zero medication-induced dystonia recoveries.  Plenty of people with medication-induced dystonia years out from the drugs. 

I found this study of recovery from neuroleptic induced TD where medication was reduced or stopped for periods of time.

Tardive dyskinesia: two-year recovery.

Results - in over half the patients (56%) the TD was either not present or was markedly reduced. Patients under 40 years of age did much better. In 76% of this younger group the TD was completely gone or was markedly reduced.

http://www.researchgate.net/publication/17075727_Tardive_dyskinesia_two-year_recovery

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Moderator Emeritus

Without much searching, I am finding reports of recovery. Googling "dystonia recovery":

http://musicians-focal-dystonia.com/role-models-recovery-musicians-focal-dystonia/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Musicians-Focal-Dystonia-Recovery-is-Possible/124664920903885

http://www.davidvining.net/narrative.html

full recovery from dystonia http://curefordystonia.com/tag/full-recovery-from-dystonia/

http://www.ipsen.co.uk/ipsen_dystonia.php

The progress of dystonia is unpredictable. The severity of symptoms can vary from day to day, and while there often is an element of overall progression, it is difficult to estimate how long this will last. Typically, a focal dystonia will progress very gradually over a five-year period, and then progress no further. Symptoms in all dystonic conditions can vary.

For some people, their dystonia may sometimes improve or disappear altogether for no apparent reason. The likelihood of a total remission of symptoms has been estimated as somewhere between one-in-ten and one-in-twenty. In some cases, the dystonia may eventually return, but in others it will disappear completely.

There is a difference between "there is no cure" and "there is no recovery." "There is no cure" means medicine hasn't found treatments that reliably eliminate the symptoms. "Recovery" can take place in other ways.

From a very brief review of what I found on the Web, in primary (disease-caused) dystonia, "spontaneous" recovery occurs about 10% of the time -- as reported by doctors.

Acupuncture, chiropractic, and physical therapy can help -- to what extent have you explored these, WiggleIt?

Thank you, Alto, as you know I've lost all hope, thank you for searching. I had already seen all but one of these links. There is a lot about Musician's dystonia recovery, but medication-induced dystonia recovery is what I'm not finding and that's why I'm freaking.

Bc of the dystonia, myoclonic jerks, and hypersensitivity, I cannot do acupuncture or massage as they flare up contortions and wiggles. Same with chiro. I've tried them.

I go to neuro physical therapy every week. I have not improved much. I start swallowing therapy for my tongue and throat next week.

• Moderator Emeritus

I've found one PubMed article saying 14% of tardive dystonia cases in one study.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/9827766/?i=2&from=/1677236/related

All other PubMed studies I found show 0% recovery for tardive dystonia, and higher chance of spontaneous remission with tardive dyskinesia.

(((Wiggle))) Those who have recovered are out there living their lives--not sitting around on the internet talking about it. Sometimes I think we would be better off if we did not have the capability of researching this. I was not supposed to walk again--should not have ever gotten out of a wheelchair (with TM), but I didn't know that. Sometimes "knowledge" is not a good thing. Hang in there, Wiggle. I believe you will get better--and if God says you will get better, you WILL get better! The research doesn't mean a thing.

Zoloft 100 mg. daily for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since Oct. 1994 / Synthroid 88 mcg. daily / Supplements: Neptune Krill Oil-1,000 mg. twice daily/Astaxanthin 10 mg. twice daily/Ubiquinol 100 mg. twice daily (These 3 have allowed me to discontinue (approved by doctor) bp meds I was on. Calcium Citrate 500 mg. daily/Vitamin D3 2,400 iu daily/K2 (MK7) 100 mcg daily (osteopenia and fam. hist. of severe osteoporosis). Stress B Complex (1/2 dose)/Quercetin (for allergies/asthma)/Magnesium (400 mg. oral glycinate and about 50 mg. magnesium chloride spray oil a day, divided throughout day).

Tapered Zoloft about 6 wks. Totally off since the end of July (25-29, 2014). 3 wks. vertigo at end of taper, then 3-4 wks. OK, followed by withdrawal symptoms increasing in severity (nausea, gastric disturbances, loss of appetite, insomnia, restlessness, jitters, anxiety, agitation--jumping out of my skin--possible akathisia?) Seem to have paradoxical reactions to everything new, even Vitamin C. Severity of akathisia comes and goes, but is constant to some degree. Hard to leave house, and cannot be home alone. (Retired)

• Moderator Emeritus

I am having insomnia. I think I am having akathisia.

I am also having these terrible head rushes accompanied by a feeling of being "high," but a bad, terrifying high with a strange breathing pattern. Please, please help me.

It is as bad as month one. Internal shaking that never ceases.

I have seen people on hallucinogenic drugs having bad trips look like this.

• Moderator Emeritus

Body jerks waking me out of sleep. Have not slept in over 24 hours.

• Moderator Emeritus

Pins and needles in feet so bad it's hard to walk. They usually abate after a few minutes, but they are not abating.

• Moderator Emeritus

Pins and needles in feet so bad it's hard to walk. They usually abate after a few minutes, but they are not abating.

Hi Wiggle... I'm mostly in the benzo section, but do follow your posts. I'm so dreadfully sorry this is happening to you.  I've had myoclonic jerks and what were then called hypnic jerks at the onset of sleep.  The the hypnic jerks started after I got off ADs (took them for 3 months and came within a hair of having a grand mal seizure, so I had to stop abruptly) many years ago, and were the reason I ended up on Klonopin, which 20 years on I had to taper.  Ugh... this stuff is DREADFUL.  Every time I would fall asleep, my legs would jerk and wake me up.  Sometimes the jerks were so severe I'd get the illusion of of being airborne right off the bed.. Sleep was a real problem because I'd jerk most every time I started to drift off. I also had myoclonus for many years for which I took Dilantin.  Not as severe as what you describe, but I do kind of understand what happens when your body moves abruptly.  My thoughts are with you...

Skyler

PS..  I don't know how long the hypnic jerks actually lasted (NOT twenty years) because they would get retriggered every time I tried to go off the K... I did not realize the K was then causing the same reaction.  Oh what a tangled mess these drugs cause!  Thing is, they did stop because I no longer have them.  The myoclonus went on for 30+ years.. but then the cause was idiosyncratic and not caused by a drug.  I just know what myoclonus can feel like.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Administrator

Unless it's caused by a diagnosable disease, I think the origin of most dystonia is mysterious -- as is true with dysautonomias.

14% recovery is not zero.

There is no way to predict what may happen for you. No doctor can predict it, you won't find any papers about people exactly like you. From what I've seen scanning the dystonia Web sites, complementary medicine is often recommended.

If I were you, I'd find the top dystonia expert in your area and see what that relationship can do for you.

• Moderator Emeritus

Alto, yes, I am still trying to find a neuro who can help. It's so hard.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you all who have commented. I can't respond back individually, but please know I read all your responses. I'm actually printing out and highlighting some of the things you guys said.

• Moderator Emeritus

I think there was a miracle tonight.

• Moderator Emeritus

:)  ....details?

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

What happened ? 

God is still in the healing business! Do share when you are ready!

Zoloft 100 mg. daily for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since Oct. 1994 / Synthroid 88 mcg. daily / Supplements: Neptune Krill Oil-1,000 mg. twice daily/Astaxanthin 10 mg. twice daily/Ubiquinol 100 mg. twice daily (These 3 have allowed me to discontinue (approved by doctor) bp meds I was on. Calcium Citrate 500 mg. daily/Vitamin D3 2,400 iu daily/K2 (MK7) 100 mcg daily (osteopenia and fam. hist. of severe osteoporosis). Stress B Complex (1/2 dose)/Quercetin (for allergies/asthma)/Magnesium (400 mg. oral glycinate and about 50 mg. magnesium chloride spray oil a day, divided throughout day).

Tapered Zoloft about 6 wks. Totally off since the end of July (25-29, 2014). 3 wks. vertigo at end of taper, then 3-4 wks. OK, followed by withdrawal symptoms increasing in severity (nausea, gastric disturbances, loss of appetite, insomnia, restlessness, jitters, anxiety, agitation--jumping out of my skin--possible akathisia?) Seem to have paradoxical reactions to everything new, even Vitamin C. Severity of akathisia comes and goes, but is constant to some degree. Hard to leave house, and cannot be home alone. (Retired)

OMG I could use a good miracle!  Thank the Lord!

2002-put on amitryptiline for fibromyalgia. 10mg.2004-stopped abruptly. Didn't think it helped.2006 approx.-put on Paxil for mild anxiety 20 mg.2007 upped to 40 mg. not sure why.2011- tapered from 40 to 10. went nuts and went back to 20mg2014- tapered from 20mg to 0 from April to The end of June.current meds- Metformin(type 2 diabetic) and low dose aspirin.Take multi vitamin and vit b12, vit. D and magnesium. 5 months off Paxil. Still suffering.recently added 1.2mg of Paxil to alleviate withdrawals.(Nov 30)Dropped to .9mg because having symptoms from reinstatement.(dec 23)<p>taper to .76mg-.8mg (Feb 3) approx. weight .010 to about .008-.009 on scale.
.6mg (march 19th.) .5mg(April 19th)
.4mg(April 27th)
.2 (June 27th)

0mg.  done taper at beginning of August.

I would also need a miracle, but I dont believe on miracles!

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

• Moderator Emeritus

The miracle was that I'm going to change my attitude.  

I was basically cold-turkeyed off two meds that I'd been on for years.  Now, I have movement disorders all over my body: face, tongue, lips, arms, legs, hips, feet.  They are disabling, but I watched some vids on YouTube and saw drug-induced tardive dyskinesia & tardive dystonia cases WAY worse than mine.  And I broke down in grateful tears to God, because I have reason to hope.

• Moderator Emeritus

I like your miracle Wiggle and I'm happy that you've been able to find some acceptance. Its so true that we can always find someone who is worse off than ourselves if we look. Being grateful for the good things in our lives and remaining hopeful, creates a calmer sort of energy in our body, which ultimately will help with healing.

I believe you are going to get better.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

And i thought already that all your dystonia disappeared over night ....

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

I believe in miracles.  Acceptance and gratitude, perform miracles. I'm so glad you have had an "Aha" Moment.   I hope you can keep this momentum going.    I also believe you are going to get better. :)

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Attitude makes a HUGE difference, no matter what the circumstance! I do believe you are going to get better--and I love your new attitude. ((Hugs))