pete27

pete27

i am on 2mgs of lexapro and 2mgs of ativan split into 4 doses.

I started to use ativan on a regular basis this year again. I had been on it regulary 7 years ago up to 3mgs a day. I have been on about 10 different Anti-depressants over the last 20 years and numerous other drugs. I reduced my lexapro down to 2mg over the last 5 years having been on 10mg. 

This year I had a severe return of panic attacks that led to severe ocd symptoms- I started to take 1mg to get me to work and then that became 2mg after a a month or so, as i started having massive terror and fear and anxiety compounded with different OCD themes. I had to quit my job as my mood went as well into feeling suicidal constantly. After a few months i started to get gum and teeth pain- which I am still dealing with , which has resulted in massive gum recession and my mouth is so dry with near to no salvia.

I wanted to try suspension liquid about 4 months ago in order to get off ativan and i became incredible suicidal and manic. Depersonalised etc. The shrink wouldnt write me a script for this so i had to go back on the tablets, once again my nervous took a serious whack and I ended up down the hospital several times due to feeling suicidal. I have never experienced such levels of despair in my life. I also started having a complete identitiy crisis and an increase in intrusive thinking /obesssional thoughts. I am agoraphobia which has been with me for several years. I split the meds into 4 doses which has helped emotionallly. I can feel ok and then i have the dreaded fear and terror come back to haunt me out of nowhere. I have bought some gem20 scales to reduce by 2% but they are so inaccurate - I have just ordered some more to see if there is a fault with them. I have a sense of wanting to get off this drug urgently because of my teeth but I am aware that I am so sensitive to drugs and I really don't want to be running down to my local pysch ward due to rushing a withdrawal.

Like many i feel like im stuck between a rock and a hard place with the paradoxical effects. Also I had a tooth fixed about 4 months ago and had an anestetic, the next day i nearly jumped out the window- i felt i was at the gates of hell.

Best

Pete

ps. Any scales that can give me more accuracy?

morning on waking  0.5 lorazepam

pm 0.5 lorazepam

6pm 0.35 lorazepam

10pm 2mg Lexapro

12pm 0.3 lorazepam

12pm     2.5     Valium

Been Dry Cutting never stable ...constant depression and terror and fear. Nerve pain in the teeth causing gum recession and clenching all the time.

Not totally accurate as the 6am and 12pm arent always taken on time as sometimes i don't wake up on time also the 1mg tablet has no score on it so the first two doses can inaccurate.

Hi Pete

Welcome to the site. I'm a relative beginner here but you've come to the right place as there are so many knowledgeable people here who will give you advice.

Ive been helped immensely over the last few months and managed to get my head around the concept of slow tapering. Like you I have been on and off these drugs for a long time now and experienced many of those feelings you describe.

You wont have to wait long before someone gets back to you.

All the best.

Simon

. Been on some kind of meds since 1982,mainly on and off things like imipramine.,2000 on75mg venlafaxine til it bottomed out, then 150, also no good. about 7 years. Almost ct from it and put on cocktail of  Cit, Mirt and Lithium. Remained there for 7 years.

Tapered Citalopram in June2014 and was off in 6 weeks. Mood slumped about 6 weeks later. Found this site sept 5th and got some idea why this happens.18th Sept stopped lorezepam and due to misunderstanding with GP was without it for 36 hours which caused a crisis.

from 19thsept 18mg diazepam to replace lorezepam(possible addiction) 24th sept 12 mg diaz per day. 29th sept 10mg diaz per day and tapering at 1-2mg per week. At 5mg will slow down taper. At same time increase of mirtazapine to 45mg per day.

Taking fish oil and magnesium as suggested on this site.

Also have menieres syndrome, a cause of vertigo, vomiting and partial loss of hearing, also very occasional drop attacks.

As of 8th October on; Mirtazapine 45mg, Citalopram 20mg Lithium 500mg Diazepam 6mg (tapering by 2mg per week) Fish oil and magnesium

As of 25th October Mirt 45mg, Citalopram20mg Lithium 700mg Diazepam12mg

As of 12th November Mirt 37.5 Cit.20mg Lithium 700mg Diazepam 8mg (to taper after 14 days by 10%)

As of 17th November Mirt 35mg Cit 18mg Lithium 600mg Diazepam 8mg (to taper after 14 days by 10%)

As of 25th November MIrt 35mg Cit 18mg Lithium 600mg Diazepam 7mg

As of 1st December MIrt 35 Cit 18mg Lithium 600mg         Diazepam 6mg  (been stable for the last 2 weeks)

GP intervention 19 December now on 150 Ven, 37.5 Mirt, 600 Lithium  Diazepam 7mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Pete,

Welcome to SA, I'm sorry to hear about everything you have been going through.  I relate to a lot of what you have written, having experienced many of the same symptoms myself.  I also have a long history with psyche meds and have had problems getting off them.

We need a few more details about your drug history so that we have a clear picture of what's been going on.  It would be helpful if you could list all the drugs you have taken, dose, dates and how you came off them.

Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature.  Putting a short version of your drug and tapering history in your signature helps people understand your context, it appears below each of your posts.  Here are instructions for how to do it:

http://survivinganti...your-signature/

I'm a little unclear about your current history.  Which drug did you reinstate at 1mg and then increase to 2mg.  Previous to this, had you stopped this drug completely?

Are you currently trying to taper off Ativan at the moment, do I have that right?

Are you eventually wanting to come off all your drugs?

We don't recommend tapering while you are still experiencing withdrawal symptoms, it sounds like you may be experiencing withdrawal effects, but will be able to know when we have more details.  You may have been tapering too fast,  stopping and starting various drugs over the years may have caused your nervous system to become unstable.

We suggest reducing by no more than 10% of the current dose every 4 weeks, this reduces the risk of withdrawal symptoms arising.  Please read through this which will explain why:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?  (The general philosophy of gradual tapering)

I recommend stopping all tapering for now until we have a clearer picture.  Then we will have a better idea of what to suggest.

Here is the link to our symptoms and self care section, you may find some useful ideas to help manage symptoms.

Like many i feel like im stuck between a rock and a hard place with the paradoxical effects. Also I had a tooth fixed about 4 months ago and had an anestetic, the next day i nearly jumped out the window- i felt i was at the gates of hell.

Its very common for many drugs, supplements and even some foods to cause increased symptoms or have paradoxical effects in a sensitized nervous system.  Many people find they do better giving up alcohol, caffeine, sugar, processed foods and reducing stress as much as possible.

Once you get back to us with more details about your drug history and situation, we will be in a better position to offer support and suggestions.  I’m glad you found us, we’re here to support you.

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thanks for the replies, I have written some information in my sig. I am not tapering ativan- I have been on 2mg split into 4 doses a day for 7 months.

The ativan was being taken as a prn and then i started to take it daily from january and then upped to 2mgs.

pm 0.5 lorazepam

6pm 0.35 lorazepam

10pm 2mg Lexapro

12pm 0.3 lorazepam

12pm     2.5     Valium

Been Dry Cutting never stable ...constant depression and terror and fear. Nerve pain in the teeth causing gum recession and clenching all the time.

Not totally accurate as the 6am and 12pm arent always taken on time as sometimes i don't wake up on time also the 1mg tablet has no score on it so the first two doses can inaccurate.

• Moderator Emeritus

So the one you're wanting to taper is Lexapro? It's not clear from what you've written.

As far as I know the really accurate scales are all quite expensive, so it depends on your budget. If you can afford something like that you might want to look at some science/lab websites. Personally I would be inclined to go to making a liquid if I were in your position, and if Lexapro is one of those that can be made into a liquid. All that information can be found in the Tapering section.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

No I want to taper Ativan.

pm 0.5 lorazepam

6pm 0.35 lorazepam

10pm 2mg Lexapro

12pm 0.3 lorazepam

12pm     2.5     Valium

• Administrator

Welcome, pete27.

Are you taking only 2mg Lexapro?

Did the teeth symptoms occur while you were taking a combination of drugs? Did they start only when you took Ativan?

For tapering benzos, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/29-members-only-benzo-tapering-discussion/

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi

The 2mgs of lexapro I have been on for 3 years now- when i started to take the ativan this year daily was when i started to get the problems with my teeth.

I have been on ativan before on a daily basis and never had teeth pain or any gum recession. My head feels like its in a vice some days and the strain/stress going through my jaw is unbearable.

pm 0.5 lorazepam

6pm 0.35 lorazepam

10pm 2mg Lexapro

12pm 0.3 lorazepam

12pm     2.5     Valium

• Administrator

Please put ALL the drugs you take in the Drug Interactions Checker http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html and post the results in this topic. Could be a clue there.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Please put ALL the drugs you take in the Drug Interactions Checker http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html and post the results in this topic. Could be a clue there.

Nothing of note.

pm 0.5 lorazepam

6pm 0.35 lorazepam

10pm 2mg Lexapro

12pm 0.3 lorazepam

12pm     2.5     Valium

Using LORazepam together with escitalopram may increase side effectsicon1.png such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentratingicon1.png. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

pm 0.5 lorazepam

6pm 0.35 lorazepam

10pm 2mg Lexapro

12pm 0.3 lorazepam

12pm     2.5     Valium

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Pete,

Did your panic and OCD symptoms settle down after you started taking 2mg of ativan?  How are these symptoms now?

Its possible that its just a coincidence that your dental problems started after you starting to take ativan again, especially because it didn't cause this problem when you were taking it previously.  Have you talked with your dentist about this?  Not everything is caused by drugs and withdrawal, sometimes its good to get symptoms checked out to rule out other causes.

Jaw clenching can sometimes cause jaw and gum pain, do you think this may be happening?  I know you are wanting to taper and come off ativan, but if its helping at the moment, it might be better if you could give your nervous system a little more time to settle down before continuing tapering.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

Sleeping with a mouth guard can help relax the jaw muscles.  You should be able to get an inexpensive on at a sporting goods store and fit it yourself with some hot water. I've been using them for years and they really help.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

I have been to see my dentist several times about this and he says the same thing thats its the drugs. Im sure i am clenching in the night as my head feels like its in a vice. I can literally feel my nervous system pulling my whole jaw.. I'm not interested in a mouth guard as i had one made for me before and caused heaps more problems mentally.

My OCD got a little better when i dosed 4 times a day but i know it will come back big time when i try to reduce the dose- im stuck between a rock and hard place with this. I would like to taper real slow but with my teeth pain 24/7 its going to send me out the window and you can imagine it provokes more anxiety.

pm 0.5 lorazepam

6pm 0.35 lorazepam

10pm 2mg Lexapro

12pm 0.3 lorazepam

12pm     2.5     Valium

• Moderator Emeritus

I wish I had something else of offer Pete, but I don't know what else to suggest, I'm sorry you are having to go through this.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

• Administrator

Welcome, pete.

Whether the clenching is caused by the drugs or not, a bite guard can help protect your teeth and jaw while you're weaning off the drug.

See Face, jaw, tongue muscle tension and pain

and http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/29-members-only-benzo-tapering-discussion/

• 1 month later...

I am taking 2mgs of Lexapro in liquid  in the evening.

Should i split the dose or take it away from  the ativan i'm on which is causing a lot of sxs/withdrawals.

Best

p

pm 0.5 lorazepam

6pm 0.35 lorazepam

10pm 2mg Lexapro

12pm 0.3 lorazepam

12pm     2.5     Valium

• Administrator

pete, I moved your post here.

Are you also taking Lexapro in the morning as well?

You are getting side effects and withdrawal from the Ativan? What is this symptom pattern like?

Please put ALL the drugs you take in the Drug Interactions Checker http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html and post the results in this topic.

• 2 weeks later...

I take  2mgs of lexapro in the evening?

The dentists have so far decided not to give me a mouth guard for some reason. I going to ask again tomorrow.

The symptom pattern is constant oral pain- gums receding badly and bone pain with bone loss. Also waking up with locked jaw in the the middle of night constant grinding even through the day. Recently jaw pain from tmj. Chronic dry mouth as well.

I also have a fatty liver and gallstone's blocking the cystic ducts - via ultrasound.

pm 0.5 lorazepam

6pm 0.35 lorazepam

10pm 2mg Lexapro

12pm 0.3 lorazepam

12pm     2.5     Valium

Peter, I'm so sorry your going through this..it's a long and hard journey but hopefully with the help here you'll find things improve and we are all in this together.

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

• Administrator

pete, which symptoms are you attributing to Ativan?

It could be the jaw symptoms are from the Lexapro. To test this, move your Lexapro dose earlier by a couple of hours each day until you're taking it in the morning. See if this relieves the nighttime symptoms.

As brassmonkey noted, you can get an inexpensive mouth guard, which might be better than nothing.

Hi Alto

The symptoms are  gum recession / teeth clenching/tmj / with constant pain. I seem to be clenching most of the day and my symptoms are pretty much constant in the oral department. This only came on in the last year since taking ativan regularly daily. It feels like im in constant withdrawal as my head and jaw feel so congealed.

I am dosing the ativan every 6 hrs doesn't seem to make much difference.

pm 0.5 lorazepam

6pm 0.35 lorazepam

10pm 2mg Lexapro

12pm 0.3 lorazepam

12pm     2.5     Valium

• 5 months later...
  • Administrator

The clenching may be causing the other symptoms.

What is your current situation?

Yes the clenching could well be causing the photosensitivity i have now had for the last 4 months. When i introduced valium to the mix one week later i start to get burning on my face.I dropped the lorazepam by 0.25 and added in valium 2.5 mg.

I had been getting face pain from the nerve problem in my teeth for over a year which felt like withdrawals as my gum are very much effected. Dr Brown who will be in london from the usa at the end of this month said he will look at my tmj as he said it can be related to photosensitivity.

The dermatologist wanted to put me on another anti- depressant  He said it is neuropathic pain caused by light...basically i get bad burnign from everything light related even my computer. My eyes have gone as well and i get burning eyes when light hits them as well so i spend all day in my bedroom in the dark. I can use the computer using a projector for a small amount of time.

10 years ago when i came off lexapro i became very photo-sensitive for about 2 years until i went nuts and was put back on the same drug the problem abated after about 4 months. I used to get a lot of neuropathic pain in my legs from withdrawing from meds and only ever clenched as soon as i took the ativan this time round. I'm wondering should i take the lexapro at a different time to the ativan. I am having horrible cortisol surges in the morning and mixed episodes i have never experienced before from deprssion i cant get out of bed for days to jumping intusive thoughts of all nature. My OCD switches as well from this to that and i think the drugs have caused all these symptoms to explode.

pm 0.5 lorazepam

6pm 0.35 lorazepam

10pm 2mg Lexapro

12pm 0.3 lorazepam

12pm     2.5     Valium

• Administrator

See Light-sensitive? Try blocking out blue light

Perhaps you should see another dermatologist. Or even a nutritionist. Could be you are reacting to something you're eating or putting on your skin.

i have seen the main person for photo sentivity ...i have uv and blue light filters in my flat and on my computer doesnt make any difference....the fact that my teeth went first and then my eyes became sensitive is a classic sign also as i said before when i witdrew from lexapro 10 years ago i had this reaction until i re-instated it.

pm 0.5 lorazepam

6pm 0.35 lorazepam

10pm 2mg Lexapro

12pm 0.3 lorazepam

12pm     2.5     Valium

• Administrator

Please consider blue-blocking glasses. They are closer to your eyes.

• 10 months later...

I'm on 2mg of lexapro...liquid each drop from the bottle is 1mg i doubt the dropper is accurate...i would like to do a 220 day taper off this at some point after i come off my benzo..so i would like to use a pippette to accurately measure the 2mg and dilute it to 200mls...anyone use a pippette to draw from solution?

pm 0.5 lorazepam

6pm 0.35 lorazepam

10pm 2mg Lexapro

12pm 0.3 lorazepam

12pm     2.5     Valium

• Moderator Emeritus

pete

I've moved your post to your Introduction topic.

There is a mention or two of pipettes in this thread: Oral syringes

A google search might yield other results; use "survivingantidepressants" and "pipette" as search terms.

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• 1 month later...

Does one taper 10% always of the orginal dose say im on 2mg then 1.8mg do i taper 10% of 1.8 or 2

pm 0.5 lorazepam

6pm 0.35 lorazepam

10pm 2mg Lexapro

12pm 0.3 lorazepam

12pm     2.5     Valium

Does one taper 10% always of the orginal dose say im on 2mg then 1.8mg do i taper 10% of 1.8 or 2

I would ask one of the administrators like Altostrata. They are more educated than I am, but I was told if 10% was too much I could always go slower. You would taper on the 1.8 dosage. You always taper on the dosage you are on now.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

• Moderator Emeritus

pete - I've moved your question from the Lexapro topic to your introduction and updates topic because your question and my response relates to your situation.

Cut 10% from your current dose to determine next dose. If you're now taking 2.0 mg, you'd cut 0.2 mg and the resulting dose is 1.8 mg.  The next cut will be 10% from 1.8 mg, so 0.18 mg to get 1.62.  It gets more challenging to measure that third decimal point, so you can round down the mg cut to the nearest hundredth.

1.62 - 0.16 = 1.46

1.46 - 0.14 = 1.32

1.32 - 0.13 = 1.19

1.19 - 0.12 = 1.07

This "exponential decrease" is a gentler approach on your CNS (central nervous system) than a linear one where you'd decrease 0.2 mg each time.

2 tips:

1. You may way want to follow this topic so that you get notifications when someone posts in your thread.  Click the gray "Follow this topic" button. A dialog box appears:  select one of the notify options, then click follow this topic in the dialog box.

2. Setting this web page as a bookmark or favorite in your browser will help you navigate back to it.

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

so how long to come off 2mg of lexapro

pm 0.5 lorazepam

6pm 0.35 lorazepam

10pm 2mg Lexapro

12pm 0.3 lorazepam

12pm     2.5     Valium

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi pete, The above question has been moved so that it keeps your history in one place.

Unfortunately nobody is able to give a time frame of how long it will take to come off 2 mg of Lexapro.  There are many factors involved in any off us getting off our drug/s including how our brain and CNS cope with reducing the drug which in turn will affect the size of the dosage drops and how long we need to hold between drops, outside life stressors and our own health.

It's not about how fast we can get off the drug/s but how can we do it in as non-disruptive a way as possible.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management