LongJohn: any ideas?

LongJohn

Any ideas/information about tapering olanzapine while minimizing insomnia?  I read that the withdrawal effects are hellish, and the 2.5mg pills are tiny.  I need to see my doctor earlier than scheduled.

switched from clonazepam to diazepam, per Ashton 9/14

was tapering diazepam, feeling optimistic when unexpectedly sectioned as "suicidal" 11/14/14

rapidly withdrawn from diazepam

insomnia

placed on olanzapine 7.5mg, gabapentin 300mg

worked at first, then insomnia

olanzapine 5mg, gabapentin 200mg, baclofen 10mg 12/14

worked at first, then insomnia 

tapered off gabapentin, baclofen

went back on diazepam 3mg for insomnia, tension 

olanzapine 2.5mg 1/15

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi LongJohn,

Welcome to SA.  Thanks for putting your history in your signature, it would be even better if you added some dates, then we could see a time frame.

It sounds like you were suffering withdrawal symptoms from your diazepam taper.  Then being CT'd off it made things worse. How long ago did this happen?

How long were you on clonazepam for?

Are you wanting to stop taking gabapentin and baclofen too? From your signature, it looks like they are not helping.

Here are our  Tips for tapering off Zyprexa (olanzapine)

You started out trying to get off one drug and now have ended up trying get off 3.  I'm so sorry this has happened, unfortunately this is not uncommon.

You can use this thread as your ongoing journal to track progress and communicate with the community, add to it whenever you want.  You will find a lot of friendly help and support here.

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thank you for answering my post, Petu.  I was sectioned over a month ago.  I was on clonazepam for 13 years (far too long, in 20/20 hindsight) before switching to diazepam. Yes, I would like to get off gabapentin and baclofen, too.  I would like to one day be off all "medications".  I wish the MDs were more supportive instead of just drugging patients.  In 20/20 hindsight I wish I had never been on medications. 

The link recommends a liquid suspension.  Is there a way to use a solid form?  Perhaps one could weigh the micrograms in a balance.

was tapering diazepam, feeling optimistic when unexpectedly sectioned as "suicidal" 11/14/14

insomnia

olanzapine 2.5mg 1/15

• Administrator

Welcome, LongJohn.

I added this information to the Zyprexa topic:

Use a digital scale to weigh tablet fragments
To control your dosage more exactly, you may wish to weigh tablet fragments, see Using a digital scale to measure doses

Why are you taking baclofen?

Please put ALL the drugs you take in the Drug Interactions Checker http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html and post the results in this topic.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 2 weeks later...

I was prescribed baclofen as a muscle relaxant/sedative for muscle tension/spasms and difficulty sleeping, after being withdrawn from diazepam.

insomnia

olanzapine 2.5mg 1/15

I read that olanzapine and gabapentin should not be used when withdrawing from diazepam.  No wonder my withdrawal was so painful.

insomnia

olanzapine 2.5mg 1/15

• Administrator

I was prescribed baclofen as a muscle relaxant/sedative for muscle tension/spasms and difficulty sleeping, after being withdrawn from diazepam.

But you're taking diazepam again?

I read that olanzapine and gabapentin should not be used when withdrawing from diazepam.  No wonder my withdrawal was so painful.

Where did you read that? I'd be interested in seeing it.

Our theory is that a more gradual withdrawal from diazepam is better than adding drugs to cope with withdrawal.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I cut too fast on zyprexa, and now have severe insomnia.  I went back on valium and that did little good.  If one cuts too fast, should one reinstate or just stabilize?

I'm also thinking of adding seroquel or a z-drug?

Any ideas?

insomnia

olanzapine 2.5mg 1/15

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi LongJohn, I moved your question from tapering to your thread so we can see it in context with 

your taper.  What dose of zyprexa were you on? Did you stop it altogether, and if so, when? 

It would also help to know when you stopped the baclofen and gabapentin and how you tapered them,

and when you restarted the diazepam.

Sorry for all the questions we need to know in order to give the best advice for you. Withdrawal insomnia

is the pits and very hard to live with, I have experience it and know how it feels.  I would avoid taking 

another drug because you will just be adding to the problem and then having another drug to taper. If 

you want to be drug free you need to be very careful about changing things too often. Stability is what 

gets us all free of these drugs, but it isn't always easy to cope while waiting for our bodies to stabilise. 

If you can give us the information we need we will be able to see what would be the best move for you. 

If you can include it in your signature that would be great. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Alto, I read about the interactions here:

www.bataid.org/uploads/Medications_and_interactions[1][1].pdf

mammaP, I went from 7.5mg to 2.5mg zyprexa in a little over a month.  I tapered the baclofen and gabapentin over the last few weeks.  I restarted the diazepam a few weeks ago.

insomnia

olanzapine 2.5mg 1/15

I can't sleep.  Perhaps I went too fast from 7.5 to 2.5 olanzapine in two months.  Any ideas?  Would anyone updose in my situation? And to where?

insomnia

olanzapine 2.5mg 1/15

How about adding diphenhydramine (Benadryl)? As olanzapine acts as an antihistamine, would diphenhydramine replace it, and possibly help someone sleep?

insomnia

olanzapine 2.5mg 1/15

Does anyone think that I am suffering because I went down to fast from 7.5 to 2.5 in just over 1 month?

insomnia

olanzapine 2.5mg 1/15

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Longjohn, I'm sorry for not getting back to you sooner. Yes you will be in withdrawal from tapering too fast. 

You have tapered 3 meds at once very fast  and it is hard to know which is causing the most symptoms. 

Is insomnia your worst symptom?  I wouldn't add any other drugs because your nervous system is struggling

and it might make things even worse.  You could updose to 3mg and see if that helps any, there are never any

guarantees, especially after cutting the others too but it is possible that it could help. 

If you are taking diazepam you could visit our members benzo board to see if the dose is better split so that you

are taking it several times a day to keep the blood levels steady and avoid interdose withdrawal. ( This is when

you go into withdrawal as the drug leaves the bloodstream.) 

Link to the benzo forum http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/29-members-only-benzo-tapering/ 

I am so sorry that I can't offer any sure fire remedies that can cure this for you, in our experience time is the greatest

healer.  

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Administrator

If the insomnia occurred after reducing olanzapine, I might updose olanzapine a little, maybe to 3.5mg?

Yes, you tapered too fast, and with the other drug changes, your system is sensitized.

mammaP has a good point, too, you could be suffering rebound from the diazepam dose.