SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

wdmbakker Efexor withdrawal: who can help me?

wdmbakker

Hello! Glad I found this site!

I'm from the Netherlands, so I hope you can still literally understand my story;)

Having started antidepressant medication at 25 (cymbalta/duloxetine) because of nerve pains. Last year I got pregnant and succesfully stopped the cymbalta. During my whole pregnancy, I felt great and didn't have any nerve pains. Unfortunately, a few days after my son's birth, I started feeling nerve pains again. My doctor put me on Efexor Retard 150 mg, because "it might be a better med against neuropathy". After a few months, my nerve pains got less, but I have many side effects because of the efexor, including daily headache, the feeling my character changed (can't cry anymore). muscle spasms and high muscle tension (neck, shoulders). Because of that, I asked my doctor to quit the Efexor, but he doens't think it's a good idea, because of the bad withdrawal. He didn't mention that before prescribing those meds.. 

I don't know how to stop this 'hard drugs'. On the Internet I read some horror stories and I'm really afraid of getting more nerve pains, or having bad withdrawal symptoms. Still I want to give it a try.. I can't find any withdrawal-protocols on the internet. My doctor can't help me and said I had to do it on my own.. 

Does anyone have any advice? 

Thank you!!

Hi and welcome.  I am not in a position to offer advice but I wanted to welcome you.  You will find alot of useful information here and someone in a position to help will be along soon to give you advice.  I do know that these medications need to be tapered off  very slowly.  I hope this site helps you achieve you goal of ridding yourself of this medication.

2002-put on amitryptiline for fibromyalgia. 10mg.2004-stopped abruptly. Didn't think it helped.2006 approx.-put on Paxil for mild anxiety 20 mg.2007 upped to 40 mg. not sure why.2011- tapered from 40 to 10. went nuts and went back to 20mg2014- tapered from 20mg to 0 from April to The end of June.current meds- Metformin(type 2 diabetic) and low dose aspirin.Take multi vitamin and vit b12, vit. D and magnesium. 5 months off Paxil. Still suffering.recently added 1.2mg of Paxil to alleviate withdrawals.(Nov 30)Dropped to .9mg because having symptoms from reinstatement.(dec 23)<p>taper to .76mg-.8mg (Feb 3) approx. weight .010 to about .008-.009 on scale.
.6mg (march 19th.) .5mg(April 19th)
.4mg(April 27th)
.2 (June 27th)

0mg.  done taper at beginning of August.

I'm soo glad you've found here before you do anything else..a lot of us, I'm sure wish they had found this place, whilst in the same position as yourself.

I can't really give advice but hold on, someone will. Welcome.

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

thanks for welcoming me in your group!!! It's great that you support each other this way!

I will start searching for usefull information, before I decide how to get rid of this meds.  

• Administrator

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.