mustangwoman

mustangwoman: Hello

mustangwoman

Hi!  I am also a pp refugee.  I am a 30 something y o woman from Tennessee.  I am a nurse, wife, and mother.  I also have been fighting the good fight with withdrawal for several years.  My signature tells the story.  I am currentlydown to 10.9 mg of luvox, which is supposed to be equivalent to approx  2 mg of paxil.  I am so glad this site exists, support is tremendously important during this.  I have family that loves me and knows that I am going through this, but no one understands like those going through.  So glad to see familiar faces, so to speak.  So glad that I could keep my support family, and have more family to add as well!!!

Edited by scallywag
tags added

Frustrated

Hello and welcome.  I was kairbear on the other site and I remember you.  I hope you will feel at home here.  I have found this site to be quite comforting at times.

Ever

Hiya mustangwoman.   Good to see you here too.

mustangwoman

Thank you Frustrated and Ever!  Glad to have my friends here, that is what makes me feel at home!

brassmonkey

Welcome Horseygirl, good to see you made the switch okay.

Greg70

Look at all the familiar faces here!

mustangwoman

Hi guys!  It is wonderful to see the familiar faces!!

mattage

Hi

Mustangwoman!  

Altostrata

Welcome, mustangwoman -- and friends!

I'm sure you'll be very helpful to others who are tapering Luvox.

mustangwoman

Thanks so much!  I have a question.  I have recently started to divide my dose into two equal doses and take at 7a and 7p. I started doing this because with the extremely short half life of luvox (13 to 15 hours and some research suggests that it gets shorter at lower doses) I was beginnng to feel like I was going in and out of withdrawal on a daily basis.  It has been too short of a time frame to know if this is going to work or not, but at any rate it seems as if it would help keep my dose at a more steady state.  Curious if anyone else has done this and had success, especially at much lower doses.  I'm approximately at 2 mg of paxil with the dose comparisons from crazymeds.  Thanks for listening everyone! :)

mustangwoman

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place.

Altostrata

I responded to your post in Tapering http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7559-dividing-doses-of-short-half-life-drugs/?p=109957

The Tapering forum is like a reference library, with general information in which many people might be interested.

Your Intro topic is for questions that are particular to your situation.

Asking the question in Tapering is fine, you can see other people might want to split doses.

mustangwoman

I have been up all night vomiting with the stomach virus.  I'm pretty sure I vomited up my night dose of Luvox and am pretty sure that I won't be able to keep down my morning dose.  I'm already starting to have tremors with the short half life, but cannot stop vomiting, let along get anything down.  Any suggestions?  Thank you all!  

Brandy

I'm so sorry you're sick! I think we've all had this dilemma at one time or another.

I just got over the flu, but although I had nausea I didn't actually vomit. I don't know if it was just dumb luck, or because I took ginger extract.

If you can't get to a health food store to get ginger extract and don't happen to have some on hand, you can make a stronger-than-usual brew of ginger tea. (Most supermarkets, at least in my area, carry ginger tea.

If you can't get any of those, try letting ginger ale go flat (the carbonation won't hurt you, but letting it go flat will prevent getting gas and its discomforts).

If you have any peppermint tea, or even peppermint candies (any candy canes left over from Christmas lol?) if the candies have the genuine active peppermint oil in them, you could try that too. I usually find that either ginger or peppermint helps me with nausea, but for some reason it's one or the other. (One in one case, the other in other kinds of nausea.) In my particular case recently, I tried peppermint and it did nothing, but the ginger extract did work. Other times it's been the opposite. No idea why.

Coca-cola can help nausea too. It does have caffeine it it - not as much as coffee, especially if you just consume small amounts. But that might be a problem in withdrawal if you can't do caffeine at all. (Same caveat about letting it go flat to avoid gas problems. If you tolerate the caffeine in it and find it helps, if someone can get you things from the drugstore, most drugstores carry coca-cola syrup as a nausea remedy. It's just the syrun - has caffeine but no carbonation.

I know there are meds for reducing nausea but I don't know anything about the OTC ones. If you need a prescription remedy, be aware that some contain (or at least used to) small amounts of antipsychotic in them. (Seriously.) Wish I'd known this before I ended up in the emergency room with an (in my case life-threatening] allergic reaction to the tiny amount of antipsychotic in an anti-emetic my doctor gave me when my boss at the time said he needed me to come in to work and I was vomiting my insides out with the flu. That was a million years ago - long before I was ever on any of the meds that later caused my withdrawals. But I learned, to my shock, that some prescription nausea drugs contain a phenothiazine, among other ingredients. Just thought I'd mention it in case the phenothiazine could be an issue for people in withdrawal.

I'm trying to think what else might help your nausea. If I think of anything else I'll post it. I hope you feel better soon!

Ever

mustangwoman how are you now? Have you managed to take your dose?

Songbird

It is hard to know what to do about missing doses due to vomiting, I am certainly no expert, but here are my thought FWIW...  I would guess it might be best to take them as normal, unless the vomiting happens immediately after taking it thereby bringing the whole dose back up.  If the dose stays down for any length of time, it is likely that at least some of it would be absorbed.  It might be best to take your dose without a lot of other stuff that might upset the stomach, in the hope that it gets absorbed quickly.  Hopefully the virus passes quickly so not too many doses are affected.  Try not to worry too much, hopefully you will restabilise quickly once you recover.

ladybug

I remember Scotty mentioning on PP that it takes one hour for your stomach to dissolve a pill, so the closer to an hour the more the pill would be dissolved. I agree with Songbird, unless you vomit the pill right after you take it then it's best to just take your dose as you would normally. I've gotten pretty sick in the past from accidentally taking a double dose.

mustangwoman

Thanks!  It's been a truely miserable night.  I'm not due for my next dose for 2 hours.  Still nausea, haven't vomited in 2 hours, but still having diarrhea.  Ughh.

Ever

Is it a pill or part of a pill? I've just been licking my wee bits straight off the weigh scale thingey. Gross I know lol. But you might not vomit that up?.....

Brandy

This is just a guess, and I don't like guessing and tend to avoid suggesting anything I don't feel certain in my knowledge about, but...

Maybe divide your dose and take a bit every ten or fifteen minutes or whatever, over the course of about an hours (again just guessing what might help).

My theory is that way even if you do vomit at some point, only a little would come up, and the next ones might stay down. Also, smaller amounts of anything you ingest might be less likely to irritate your stomach?

And maybe put bits of doses under your tongue (if it's not in liquid form, maybe you could dissolve the pill in just a tiny bit of water), so at least some of each bit of dose might be absorbed sublingually or at least faster...?

Again, just guessing. Don't think it could hurt to try these anyway.

Brandy

Ever's post appeared just before I clicked "Post." Seems like we're thinking along the same lines!

Again, so sorry you're feeling so sick, and hope you feel better very soon.

mustangwoman

Thank you ladies.  I will try this.  It is a very small sliver of a pill.

cymbaltawithdrawal5600

Mwoman,

I have merged your recent post and its replies into your journal since it pertains specifically to YOU and your situation. It's great to have it all in one topic, as you read over it from time to time you can see what happened and when (and how it may have gotten better!).

You may want to bookmark your topic so you can find it easily (eventually falls off the first page in Introductions) by pressing the CTRL key on your keyboard and the 'D' key at the same time (unless you are using a phone or tablet) while you are viewing your page. I carry my topic link around with me in my signature. But then I post a lot :)

Edited by cymbaltawithdrawal5600
added info & corrected misspelling

mustangwoman

Thank you Cymbalta, and thank you all for your help!  So far I have kept my morning dose down.  You are wonderful friends! :)

brassmonkey

I made my journal a topic I follow (click the button on the to right of this page) then I can just click on my name and then on Topics I follow and it's right there.

mustangwoman

Thanks BrassMonkey!

Ever

How you feelin today mustangwoman?

mustangwoman

I am feeling much better.  Just weak.  Thanks so much for asking Ever!

Ever

good good good....

Micromonster

hey mustang, its all gone quiet your end, hows things?

mustangwoman

Okay...busy with work and winter illnesses with family. I hope you are well Micromonster. 

I was curious if anyone has noticed that when they get a new bottle of ssri after filing down and weighing with an old bottle (that may possible be a year old) that the newer pills seem a little more potent?  Just curious

cymbaltawithdrawal5600

All meds may deteriorate somewhat after being exposed to air and environment (more or less humidity, for example.) The expiration dates on drugs are supposed to take that into account, I think. Always keep checking the date and don't use stuff that is expired. If it is a diluted mixture, the longer it has been opened the more concentrated it can become because there can be evaporation of the diluent.

(You may want to look at what happened to Iggy, I think it was, just recently.)

Start reading around the time frame of this post.

mustangwoman

Thank you cw.  I will read this, and I think I will pay a little extra to only keep meds a while, even though they last so much longer because I don't use nearly as much.

Micromonster

Wow, I never even thought of that! I mean ten being more potent the newer they are, it makes sence

mustangwoman

I can tell a def difference.  So I think I'm going to be more careful about having my bottle sealed and in the dark and also getting a new bottle when I would have if I hadn't been shaving them down to preserve potency as much as possibly, especially at these low doses.

Micromonster

Hope all is well x