SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ OffEFFexor: hello everybody

OffEFFexor

One yr - very good.. :)

What is HA in reference to pain?

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

Thanks L+L.  HA is headache.

1983-1995: On and off several tricyclic ADs
1995: Quit alcohol, started Prozac
2003: Stopped Prozac; 2004: Started Effexor XR 225
2014: Tried and failed three rapid tapers; stopped cold turkey March 11, 2014, eight days of Prozac as a bridge.
March 19, 2014: SSRI/SSNI free; four weeks acute withdrawal, then five month window of minimal symptoms.

Sept 2014-June 2015: Delayed, prolonged severe withdrawal from Effexor. Roller coaster, way up and way down.  Symptoms swing widely. Clear improvement in Mar-Apr, but still much hell. In May symptoms shifted to insomnia and depression, less HA, tinnitus and brain fog.

July-Sept 2015: After two weeks of using CES device, tremendous relief of insomnia, depression and other symptoms. Feeling much better, finally! Symptoms still come and go, good and bad days.Sneaking up on return to good health.  Alto gave me a 'Here Comes the Sun'!!!  ☼

Oct 2015-Feb 2016: Difficult several months, some good days but the bad days felt like I'm moving backwards.  Struggling after steady improvement, but hanging tough.

Current supplements:  Mg-Threonate; glutathione; krill oil; borage oil; phosphatidyl choline; multivite, vit B12, vit C, vit D vit E; OTC meds pseudoephedrine in the AM and benadryl at bedtime.  Clonidine 0.2 bid for high blood pressure.

Filled with hope, courage and self-appreciation.

happy for you :)

gives me hope

went on Prozac 1994-99,60mg.poopout ct  back on 2001-2002,prozac weekly 2002,not working,Effexor 75 mg.?2003-mar.2004 gaining weight 8wk. taper,wellbutrin 150 mg.mar. -may 2004 ctmedfree til july 2005 back to Prozac gaining weight again,back on wellbutrin jan.2006150-300 mg.bad constipation.also was taking aygestin(hormone)perimenopausal irregular bleeding.back on Prozac around sept,?2006,hysterectomy jan30.2007(adenomyosis)off&on Prozac til 2009,citalopram about 1 mo, April 2010 no effect,Effexor again may -mar, 2011.ct,Prozac aug,-dec, 2011 &sept-nov 2012,paroxetine oct,23 2013-may 4 2014 20 mgs.tapered 6 wks.-failed RI in Oct.2014-in protracted WD.started 10 mgs. Fluoxetine May 25 2021 .Stopped fluoxetine May 2022 at 5 mgs.

Rock on offeff!  1 year!  I agree, you are all my brothers and sisters too!  I know you still are not 100%, but so happy for the improvements!

zoloft 2004-08 tapered too fast(2 weeks)
Luvox 5/08 100 mg 07/10 40mg via small reductions, 08/10 39mg, 09/10 38mg, 10/10 37mg, 11/10 36mg,2/11 35mg, 5/11 34mg, 8/11 33mg, 11/11 32mg, 01/12 31mg, 03/12 30mg, 4/12 29mg, 5/12 28 mg, 8/12 27 mg, 11/12 26 mg, 1/13 25 mg, 3/13 24 mg, 4/13 23 mg,6/13 22 mg, 7/13 21 mg, 8/13 20mg, 10/13 19 mg, 11/13 18 mg, 12/13 17 mg, 1/14 16 mg, 3/14 13 mg, 9/14 10.9 mg,  1/15 10 mg, 3/15  9 mg,  5/15 8 mg. 11/15 7.12 mg.  4/16  5 mg, 6/16   4.5 mg,  9/16 4.2 mg, 1/17 3.48 mg, 2/17  3.2 mg,  4/17 2.2 mg, 5/17 2.0 mg, 6/17  1.74 mg, 7/17 1.58 mg, 9/17 1.27 mg, 11/17 1.0 mg,  1/18 0.79 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

HA is headache.

I interpreted HA as Health Anxiety!  :unsure:

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

I was going with Heart Attack until I read the context.  I glad it's only a headache OE, and that you're feeling better.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Yesterday I had a bad day, followed by a difficult night with little sleep, and a horrible morning.  Just horrible - painful headache, loud tinnitus, but worst of all, racing negative thoughts of dread and that sense of derealization.  I managed to nap in the early afternoon, and this horrible combination of WD symptoms lifted.  This evening I feel practically normal.

I don't want to forget how bad these several hours were.  As much improvement as I am experiencing over the past three weeks, there are still waves of hell, and I have to accept the fact they are likely to continue. 

I am working on acceptance of the fact that I am likely to remain sick, with waves and windows of symptoms and relief, for a good while yet. 

2014: Tried and failed three rapid tapers; stopped cold turkey March 11, 2014, eight days of Prozac as a bridge.
March 19, 2014: SSRI/SSNI free; four weeks acute withdrawal, then five month window of minimal symptoms.

Sept 2014-June 2015: Delayed, prolonged severe withdrawal from Effexor. Roller coaster, way up and way down.  Symptoms swing widely. Clear improvement in Mar-Apr, but still much hell. In May symptoms shifted to insomnia and depression, less HA, tinnitus and brain fog.

July-Sept 2015: After two weeks of using CES device, tremendous relief of insomnia, depression and other symptoms. Feeling much better, finally! Symptoms still come and go, good and bad days.Sneaking up on return to good health.  Alto gave me a 'Here Comes the Sun'!!!  ☼

Oct 2015-Feb 2016: Difficult several months, some good days but the bad days felt like I'm moving backwards.  Struggling after steady improvement, but hanging tough.

Current supplements:  Mg-Threonate; glutathione; krill oil; borage oil; phosphatidyl choline; multivite, vit B12, vit C, vit D vit E; OTC meds pseudoephedrine in the AM and benadryl at bedtime.  Clonidine 0.2 bid for high blood pressure.

Amen, EffOff. Acceptance. As Aretha Franklin sang, "A-C-C-E-P-T. Find out what it means to me..."

January 2012 - Prescribed 900mg gabapentin and 30mg Norco for lower lumber spinal stenosis pain.

September 2013 - Spinal fusion surgery, 6 levels. Hospital ramped up meds 1500mg gabapentin, 100mg Norco, 80mg Oxycontin, 25mg Fentanyl patch.

January 2014 - Sever nausea daily and with back pain every 4 hours. 2 trips to ER. First endoscopy found ulcer. Treated with Sucralfate and PPI. Second endo in May found no ulcers. Doctors said it was the opiates causing the nausea. CT'd Oxycontin, Fentanyl patch.

July 2014 - Lost 48 lbs. due to not eating because of severe nausea. GP prescribed Prozac 20mg and Ativan 2mg prn. Tried for 4 days, quit. Two week followup GP said keep taking Prozac. 4 days, quit again. Ativan taken rarely prn for anxiety and appetite.

August 2014 - Went to detox. Off opiates. Still nauseous, helmet head, drugged feeling. Doctor CT'd gabapentin. Ended up in ER. Found 2 gallstones. Gabapentin reinstated at 900mg. Tried botched up and down taper to get off Gabapentin. No tapering advice from doctor. Said to just CT again.

September 2014 - Coded on table during gallbladder surgery. Developed liver biloma due to CPR by doctor. Had bile bulb inserted for 2 wks to drain.

October 2014 - Gallbladder removed. Still nauseous, 3am cortisol surging, drugged helmet head, vertigo, breathlessness, whooshing head, heart palps.

November 8th, 2014 - CT'd gabapentin suggested by family and 4 different doctors. Was told no withdrawal is associated with gabapentin. Have been in hell ever since. No windows, just one big tsunami every day with same symptoms for 4 months.

December 26, 2014 - Found SA. At least I know I'm not insane. My family thinks I'm doing this to myself. Akathesia has become unbearable.

March 10, 2015 - In absolute daily hell with no relief. Currently taking magnesium 200mg before bedtime.

Pug, you are on fire today, just hilarious!

I had two terrible days.  Intense headaches, horrible brain fog, crying bouts, too tired to do anything, a feeling that my brain is not my own.  Even when it relents, I am so mentally drained I just lie in bed for hours. 

Today has been good.  Only mild symptoms, brain seems to be working fine.  Such a drastic difference in my frame of mind, the nature of my consciousness, from one day to the next is weird, frightening, disorienting, and is just wearing me down.  Plus, it is boring, crushing tedium.  I'm sick of this, having trouble appreciating the good day I am having.  I'll try literally counting some blessings.

I'm right there with you, EffOff. Same symptoms, same boredom, same exhaustion with the relentless WD. We will move forward to full recovery, one foot in front of the other. If you can do it, so can I and vice versa. Let's just take each day as it comes. No looking back, no looking forward. Let's stay in the moment.

January 2012 - Prescribed 900mg gabapentin and 30mg Norco for lower lumber spinal stenosis pain.

September 2013 - Spinal fusion surgery, 6 levels. Hospital ramped up meds 1500mg gabapentin, 100mg Norco, 80mg Oxycontin, 25mg Fentanyl patch.

January 2014 - Sever nausea daily and with back pain every 4 hours. 2 trips to ER. First endoscopy found ulcer. Treated with Sucralfate and PPI. Second endo in May found no ulcers. Doctors said it was the opiates causing the nausea. CT'd Oxycontin, Fentanyl patch.

July 2014 - Lost 48 lbs. due to not eating because of severe nausea. GP prescribed Prozac 20mg and Ativan 2mg prn. Tried for 4 days, quit. Two week followup GP said keep taking Prozac. 4 days, quit again. Ativan taken rarely prn for anxiety and appetite.

August 2014 - Went to detox. Off opiates. Still nauseous, helmet head, drugged feeling. Doctor CT'd gabapentin. Ended up in ER. Found 2 gallstones. Gabapentin reinstated at 900mg. Tried botched up and down taper to get off Gabapentin. No tapering advice from doctor. Said to just CT again.

September 2014 - Coded on table during gallbladder surgery. Developed liver biloma due to CPR by doctor. Had bile bulb inserted for 2 wks to drain.

October 2014 - Gallbladder removed. Still nauseous, 3am cortisol surging, drugged helmet head, vertigo, breathlessness, whooshing head, heart palps.

November 8th, 2014 - CT'd gabapentin suggested by family and 4 different doctors. Was told no withdrawal is associated with gabapentin. Have been in hell ever since. No windows, just one big tsunami every day with same symptoms for 4 months.

December 26, 2014 - Found SA. At least I know I'm not insane. My family thinks I'm doing this to myself. Akathesia has become unbearable.

March 10, 2015 - In absolute daily hell with no relief. Currently taking magnesium 200mg before bedtime.

And the headache and brain fog...what a b*tch.

I can look forward to some fresh herbs from your toe-garden.  That'll get be through some of the dark hours.

Thanks for the encouragement.  Of course, you are right.

I had two terrible days.  Intense headaches, horrible brain fog, crying bouts, too tired to do anything, a feeling that my brain is not my own.  Even when it relents, I am so mentally drained I just lie in bed for hours. 

Today has been good.  Only mild symptoms, brain seems to be working fine.  Such a drastic difference in my frame of mind, the nature of my consciousness, from one day to the next is weird, frightening, disorienting, and is just wearing me down.  Plus, it is boring, crushing tedium.  I'm sick of this, having trouble appreciating the good day I am having.  I'll try literally counting some blessings.

I was thinking about the five month window.. not a normal thing with effexor wd in my mind at least.  I am thinking the prozac bridge held back wd for you till then as a five month break thru of wd is common enough with prozac many have withdrawal delayed wks or months. I am curious as to when you added the supplements?  If you recall and what if anything you noticed with adding them.  

I am assuming the pseudoephedrine is to offset or replace the norepinephrine... same as the benadryl is an attempt to keep the ssri insomnia at bay.  I have read of folks being addicted to both these things... I looked it up a long time ago when I was thinking of doing the same.  Decided againsts it after reading about the addiction potential... tho I did use benadryl very small doses very very rarely for insomania that lasted more than 3 days... as I could go about 3 days without sleep before I started to lose the plot to the point of being an inpatient... something I have never done and did not want to try. 

I am curious about the effects of your other supplements too... glutathione is the one I think I read is given to folks who have had a serious and long illness... is that correct. 

I was wondering if added each supplement one at a time and if you could give a brief bit about effects if you did indeed notice any. 

As for the cycling of symptoms we don't know enough about it to really say as far as I can tell... the way it goes seems haphazard but is it really?  ....likely not.  I for one did notice that if I used a benadryl cause I used it so rarely I used 1/4 or less when I did use it... depending and how well I could focus to cut it up... I was in bad shape by the time I caved and used it.  I would sleep when I used a tiny amount however there was a backlash... and it happened every time I used it. 

I did not take much and had an extended time of torment of symptoms most would call acute the first year... in that time I watched my symptoms marrigoround... 

I can't give incidentals now as I don't want to recall it and I don't recall.. if I could by forcing myself i don't want to cause it ruins my day.  However I can tell you this much after taking the benadryl I would backslide... whatever I was fighting off or suffering would be at a peak it seems when I took benadryl more than just insomania... symptoms always had many dance partners... after I took benadryl I would go back to square one with it and have to go thru it all over again. That is what I seen... that is also why I used so very little of it.  At times even tho I knew I would pay in spades for taking it ... I broke and took the benadryl... to keep myself out of hosp. to me it was the least of two evils.  

I can't even guess how taking these supplements every day is effecting your wd but I am curious about it. I am curious to see if this will indeed be part of an answer or even some clues for others in the future. 

peace

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

:) 

for me this came and went... came again 

:) 

Had a car accident in 85
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

I actually started most of the supplements before I stopped the effexor.  I had gone to a natural psychiatrist and she started me on the glutathione, B12, vit D, vit E, krill and other oils.  I wanted to maximize what I was doing for my mental health before I stopped the AD.  I had started Magnesium even before that, but increased the dose in acute withdrawal. I was taking this stuff for about two months before cold turkey.

The pseudoephedrine I've taken for years for allergies, during the hay fever season and when exposed to a pet.  During acute withdrawal, I took it everyday, and resumed when the delayed WD kicked in six months later.  The benadryl I started during acute, stopped after a month, and resumed with the delayed WD.

I periodically stopped and started some or all supplements and meds for a few days at a time during this ordeal.  I gave up months ago trying to correlate my symptom pattern with any particular supplement or any combo.  I saw zero correlation, and decided a couple of months ago I'm just gonna stay the current course. 

Many people have been extremely sensitive to medications and supplements.  I have never been like that, and even in WD I only noticed sensitivity to one supplement, L-tryptophan, which I took once.  (Well, years ago a cipro-type antibiotic gave me a rash reaction.)  I've taken and stopped benadryl and pseudofed more times than I can count, since childhood, without any noticeable sensitivities.  Although at this point I am sure my sleep is dependent on the benadryl, at least psychologically, now having taken it most nights for six months.

Obsessing over what I was or was not taking was another way to make myself crazy.  I'm not going to do that. 

The only thing that seems to make a difference is time.  With time, the WD is slowly running its course.  I seriously doubt the symptomatic meds and supplements are making a difference, other than maybe weakening the symptoms.  But WD/healing is gonna do its thing on its own calendar.  Once my brain has gotten somewhere close to normal, I'll taper the benadryl, and go back to using the pseudoephedrine as needed for allergies. 

You may be right about the prozac, but I only took it for a week.  It seems like plenty of other people have had delayed withdrawal pop up around the time mine did, at six months, with a variety of ADs.

Edited by OffEFFexor

((((EffOff)))) Best advice to yourself, as you said, don't over think any of this. You are healing and well on your way to recovery. Supplements, no supplements, meds, no meds, your brain will figure it out eventually. One mo day, EFF, one mo day.

A wk is enough I took it only 2 wks.  In my long time reading I have thought I noticed more of this with prozac.

Thanks for answering me I appreciate it. I am all for not making yourself crazy sadly I am one of those who are sensitive to most things so I notice every pea under the mattress I so wish I was not like that.  Even the small of perfume can cause my lips to go numb I know likely something else completely.  We certainly are not all the same that is for sure. 

I wish you continued healing and peace.  

Had a car accident in 85

I have my sensitivities, but they are centered around animal and hay fever allergies.  Dogs and cats used to rarely bother me; now most of them have me sneezing immediately.

But my system generally handles medications and drugs.  Considering the amount of alcohol I had consumed, my liver was barely perturbed, and was completely recovered three weeks into rehab.  Wish my stupid brain would take the hint and heal a bit faster.

Gnarly wave last several days, gratefully with some breaks.  But some dark, bad times the last two days.  Hanging on hour by hour, I know it will pass, I hope it passes soon.

In case I forget, good wishes for your anniversary date coming up.

Sorry to hear things are still bad. It gets better when it gets better is what I have seen. I know in my case I am impatient for better times. I imagine you are too. I am glad you are still around, I have to say.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

cw, you and I are really getting slammed lately.  I appreciate reading your thread and your struggles, we'll get through this mess.  Thanks for the encouragement.

You are welcome.

This is terrible, living this many days without relief. I don't remember stopping alcohol being this difficult although I am sure it really was. I just don't recall feeling so 'damaged' but I don't think that is what you are feeling so much as just waves of symptoms. I just feel damaged.

At least I did not cry during the meeting last night. There was a dinner preceding, it was the group's anniversary and they put on a spread and had a local speaker. I was still not able to talk to anyone, I still don't feel like I belong. Did not cry until I got in the car.

It helps to pass the time and maybe the beneficial energy of the group of human beings will have an effect. I know I am clutching at straws but I need something. There is an evening meeting outdoors tonight. Warm in FL right now and the air will do me good.

I hope you are well, as well as can be expected.

My anniversary is in June. I counted wrong, it will be 31. Wow.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

I don't remember stopping alcohol being this difficult although I am sure it really was.

This is so much worse than stopping alcohol was for me.  I was lucky that I was able to go to rehab, put a full stop on life, and not worry about a thing other than getting sober.  From day one, I felt such relief being in rehab, that the struggle was over, that there was a way out of my misery.  A couple of days of mild shakes, with a little bit of librium, and that was it for acute withdrawal.

I went to aa every day for a year.  Made dear friends and overall had so much more fun than I had while drinking, it was not much of a struggle.  Sure there were nights when I craved a drink or ten, and the memories of the pain has weakened with the years, but for me that whole experience was very easy compared to this.

I don't go to aa anymore; over the first five years I gradually decreased, and maybe once every couple of years I'll wander in. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have had some horrific days in the past two weeks.  A couple of them worst ever. I hate posting when I feel bad, I usually write something only after it has passed.  Yesterday and today were pretty good, several hours of feeling great, mild and tolerable symptoms the rest of the day. 

Interspersed with the worst ever days have been scattered days with tremendous relief, including today.  Today, so much relief, feeling so nearly normal for a few hours at least, it renews my hope that this thing will end.  The roller coaster swings seem to be getting wider. 

At times in the past two weeks, my hope and courage tanks have been on empty.  The grind of these WD symptoms, day after day, have worn me down.  Days like today allow them to be partly refilled. 

That is the crux of it the wear.. the grind the not knowing what it will be like from one day to the next or one hour to the next... it does get better eventually.  What gets me is getting sick or needing surgery or a car accident things that cause a need for drugs for me are the worst as my apple cart that took so long to pack up just so to keep it in balance gets upset that is what gets to me.  

Know that it will get better and I hope you stay ok with drugs as in no reactions.  If that holds time should see things turning around and sticking for you. In the mean time there is the self care bit of this site and the power of now helped me when things were in constant flux... now means just that now.. this minute. I had to learn to appreciate what there was in the minute... I think I need to read that book again.  There are other things in the self help worth trying like distraction even on bad days I can bake something usually depends how bad the days is... even if I forget how to do it... and I use to know.. I can muddle along and feel like I have done something even if it is not such a big deal .. focusing on something makes my mind work sometimes. 

I wish  you peace

Had a car accident in 85

Very encouraging post, EFF. Hope you are having more great days of recovery. Hugs, Pug.

I don't like posting when I am feeling badly.  Much of the last two weeks I have been down, both in mood and in other WD symptoms kicking my butt.  But, I've had some distinct improvement and some pretty good days, so let me post and catch up.

First the bad.  The roller-coaster pattern continues, and some selected days in recent weeks have been just terrible.  Fortunately, the worst spells don't last more than several hours, but more generally I felt drained and fatigued at the long-haul aspect, the now seven months of not being able to function, spending 90% of my waking hours lying in bed or on the couch.  My endurance was waning, and I was feeling desperate, feeling that I can't go on much longer.  I did not feel suicidal, but desperate enough to try reinstatement at this late date (prob a different ssri, not effexor) or try some other medication. 

The symptoms:  headache, tinnitus, physical and mental fatigue, brain fog with difficulty focusing or thinking, racing thoughts and on a couple of mornings some powerful anxiety and derealization with a strong cortisol surge.  Also a lot of crying. 

After a couple of very tough days, suddenly I awoke feeling very rested and feeling that my sleep that night was much much better.  My sleep has not been terrible, but often even after a solid six hours or so it does not feel like that good, restful sleep.  Not this morning-it felt like the best sleep I'd had in months.  And, I was able to go back to sleep easily during the morning (I had nothing scheduled and I love love love sleeping late, since I was a teenager.)

The next two mornings I awoke feeling similarly good, after much better sleep than usual.  And I had three really good days, a welcome window.  That was Sunday through Tuesday.  Wednesday (yesterday) was a wave back to the typical hell of WD, but today, midmorning the wave lifted a bit and felt pretty good.

It feels like a part of my sleep pattern significantly improved, and it feels like a piece of healing has occurred.  I am expecting the roller coaster to continue, but I am cautiously hopeful of a slightly higher baseline.  Although I have had similar optimistic thoughts before, after a good two or three days, only to be slapped back by another wave.

When I was desperate last week, my doc prescribed the Fisher Wallace cranial stimulator.  I didn't purchase it because the next couple of days I was unable to function w/bad symptoms, and I had some immediate money problems to sort out.  Then, with the nice window I wanted to wait a few more days and see if maybe I don't want to change anything.  I'm probably 60:40 leaning toward ordering it, I'll decide in the next couple of days (or when the next bad wave hits me.)

Shorter version:  more of the same drastic up and down, with some concrete signs of healing and despite some really bad days, overall some improvement.  The good days have been better than prior good days.

btdt, I did pick up The Power of Now, I've only read a few pages so far will dive into it soon.

Excellent, EffOff! I am so happy for you!

A persons personal posting style really is up to them and what they feel comfortable with, however, I found that even though I didn't like posting the negative stuff, over time it was very helpful to be able to go back and reread it and see the progress that I had made.  It wasn't just the record of symptoms but more the manner in which they were recorded and the commentary that I made about the symptoms and situations that showed the nuances of the process that were very easy to over look while going through them.  When the going is really rough during the first part of recovery the small things are very important, maybe even more so than the big windows.  Keeping a positive attitude is of paramount importance, but not to the point of loosing valuable information that could help in the future.  One "good thing" about the mind is that as time passes it conveniently forgets the details of how horrific things have been, but that makes it more difficult to see the progress that has been made.

Reading your posts reminds me strongly of the things Aberdeen went/is going through in her recovery from Effexor.  Unfortunately, her full journal was lost with the PP debacle so there isn't  much to read about here.  I follow her progress very closely and the parallels are very evident.  BTW she is doing tremendously better now then when I first meant her and is well on her way to a full recovery.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Thanks brass. In the spirit you suggest, today I am back in WD hell.  Holding on, hour by hour, remembering that this racing thoughts, headache, brain fog and crying will not last and will pass, probably in a few hours.

I'm trying to distract myself, cruising the internet and watching golf on tv.  Maybe I can find some of Aberdeen's posts from pp on the internet wayback machine.

ETA:  hey, that only took a minute to find.  62 pages, I wonder how many are saved here.  It is really crappy that pp was trashed down the memory hole.

http://web.archive.org/web/20140806053819/http://www.paxilprogress.org/forums/showthread.php?t=55578

Edited by OffEFFexor

I hope the book helps the waiting for the next thought I put to use in a big way... hope it works for you. 

I was long gone from pp when Aberdeen came aboard but I still read the post of people there and too special note of Canadians. I think all wd stories have some things in common but she was tapering from paxil when she was on pp... not the same thing at all really.  Just saying my opinion. 

I hope things are going well peace OE I had that back wards EO and now in my head is old McDonald... e i e i o... seem some things remain... ugh.. hope it does not stay all day... I know I will do that watch for the next thought... see it all works out... peace

Had a car accident in 85

Thanks brass. In the spirit you suggest, today I am back in WD hell.  Holding on, hour by hour, remembering that this racing thoughts, headache, brain fog and crying will not last and will pass, probably in a few hours.

I'm trying to distract myself, cruising the internet and watching golf on tv.  Maybe I can find some of Aberdeen's posts from pp on the internet wayback machine.

ETA:  hey, that only took a minute to find.  62 pages, I wonder how many are saved here.  It is really crappy that pp was trashed down the memory hole.

http://web.archive.org/web/20140806053819/http://www.paxilprogress.org/forums/showthread.php?t=55578

I became curious about the wayback and took a look at the first page save in 2001 for anyone interested here is the page

http://web.archive.org/web/20010720130800/http://www.paxilprogress.org/

I was surprised to see another site link at that time to deal with paxil withdrawal here is the page link if your interested. 

http://web.archive.org/web/20010623193354/http://members.tripod.lycos.com/fstreicher/

I wonder who the anonymous person was who gave the withdrawal information wonder if is was a pharma person or a doctor.  

Had a car accident in 85

She had CTed Effexor and RIed paxil to handle the WD.

Yes I know her story... I read it in the link given... still was a taper in the end from paxil 

Had a car accident in 85

• 2 weeks later...

Hi offeff!  Hope you are dong well!!!!  Thinking of you!

zoloft 2004-08 tapered too fast(2 weeks)
Luvox 5/08 100 mg 07/10 40mg via small reductions, 08/10 39mg, 09/10 38mg, 10/10 37mg, 11/10 36mg,2/11 35mg, 5/11 34mg, 8/11 33mg, 11/11 32mg, 01/12 31mg, 03/12 30mg, 4/12 29mg, 5/12 28 mg, 8/12 27 mg, 11/12 26 mg, 1/13 25 mg, 3/13 24 mg, 4/13 23 mg,6/13 22 mg, 7/13 21 mg, 8/13 20mg, 10/13 19 mg, 11/13 18 mg, 12/13 17 mg, 1/14 16 mg, 3/14 13 mg, 9/14 10.9 mg,  1/15 10 mg, 3/15  9 mg,  5/15 8 mg. 11/15 7.12 mg.  4/16  5 mg, 6/16   4.5 mg,  9/16 4.2 mg, 1/17 3.48 mg, 2/17  3.2 mg,  4/17 2.2 mg, 5/17 2.0 mg, 6/17  1.74 mg, 7/17 1.58 mg, 9/17 1.27 mg, 11/17 1.0 mg,  1/18 0.79 mg