SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

N2O as an antidepressant

JanCarol

• Moderator Emeritus

This is an alternative topic - I remember doing a few "balloons" or "whippets" when younger, and I always appreciated how that 3 minutes was so pleasurable, opened up new horizons for me.  

I'm thinking that this is like Ketamine therapy - it helps you out of your rut, so that you can move on.

I'd also like to note that this is for MDD - Major Depressive Disorder.

Of course, don't try this at home, all of these studies were done under controlled circumstances.  It's just that a few of us in my circle found this to be fascinating.  (and it's not too different from my Oxygen idea).  This is a proper medical journal, but I was intimidated by Alto's "PubMed" requirements for studies.

http://www.empr.com/nitrous-oxide-shows-rapid-antidepressant-effects-in-proof-of-concept-trial/article/387663/

December 10, 2014 Nitrous Oxide Shows Rapid Antidepressant Effects in Proof-of-Concept Trial

the MPR take:

Nitrous oxide is commonly used as an inhalational general anesthetic, but it may also have a therapeutic use for treatment-resistant major depression. Nitrous oxide modulates several CNS targets, with the primary target appearing to be the NMDA receptor; here, nitrous oxide acts as a non-competitive inhibitor. NMDA receptor signaling has been associated with the neurobiology of depression as a key component of CNS information processing. A placebo-controlled crossover pilot clinical trial randomized 20 patients ages 18–65 with treatment-resistant major depressive disorders without psychosis to either an admixture of up to a maximum of 50% nitrous oxide/50% oxygen (active treatment) or 50% nitrogen/50% oxygen for one hour (placebo). Patients in the active treatment arm experienced a significant improvement in depressive symptoms at two hours and 24 hours post-treatment vs. placebo, with the most significant changes seen in the symptoms depressed mood, guilt, suicidal ideation, and psychic anxiety. Although the study authors anticipated that depressive symptoms would revert to baseline after one week when patients returned for their second treatment session, several patients showed lower Hamilton Depression Rating Scale-21 scores after the one-week interval. Twenty percent of the patients receiving nitrous oxide had a treatment response and 15% experienced remission. These results should be interpreted with caution, as larger studies are needed to replicate the results and examine safety concerns like nitrous oxide’s inactivation of vitamin B12.

There is more article if you follow the link.  

Nitrous Oxide Shows Rapid Antidepressant Effects in Proof-of-Concept Trial

NMDA receptor antagonists, such as ketamine, have rapid antidepressant effects in patients with treatment-resistant depression (TRD). We hypothesized that nitrous oxide, an inhalational general anesthetic and NMDA receptor antagonist, may also be a rapidly acting treatment for TRD.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Oh dear, more novel uses for drugs to 'treat depression'. I remember my sister giving me a whippet way back when I was in my 20's. My heart started thudding so hard I thought it would burst and the 'high' lasted for less than 60 seconds, I think. I'll pass and just rely on diet, sleep, sunshine and stress reduction should I ever think I am 'depressed' again. Let us know how it turns out for you, JC.

(I am beginning to think the term 'treatment resistant depression' is the state of being where one has not had their emotions dampened enough by the ingestion of antidepressants, antipsychotics and/or benzos.)

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

:D  CW I didn't say I was GOING there.  I just saw it as a novel, entheogenic approach.  Talking your doctor into it might also be difficult.  But I was sent the article by a doctor.....(but she's practicing at a University, not for the public).

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

Gosh, JC, you are a treasure!

I hope the smilie was for real, I was not snarking you at all, just the research docs (and not the person you mentioned!)

What was great is you used a word I had never seen before: entheogenic. Had to rush to look it up.

But now I'm bummed, I foresee another few hours wandering around wikipedia while feeling guilty I have not donated to them yet.....

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• 5 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Just saw some new studies about pernicious anaemia - vitamin B12 deficiency.  Apparently Nitrous Oxide oxidizes (uses up) B12 very effectively.

A study at Indiana University says that chronic pernicious anaemia can lead to "subacute combined degeneration of the spinal cord."

The American Journal of Neuroradiology May 1998 published a paper called, "Myelopathy caused by Nitrous Oxide Deficiency."

an older paper, 1940, by Charles T Batten is titled, "Mental Disturbances Following Nitrous Oxide Anaesthesia"

I learned about this from:

Sooooooo - probably not a good idea especially if you use the nitrous oxide in conjunction with ANY psych meds which also strip B12, among other nutriments.

CW, I gave to wikipedia, once.   :D  (I'm probably due to give again, but I've been giving to MIA, Beyond Meds and this site.)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

More information, from:  http://medicalxpress.com/news/2015-07-reveal-brainwave-patients-nitrous-oxide.html

extract:  

Nitrous oxide, commonly known as "laughing gas," has been used in anesthesiology practice since the 1800s, but the way it works to create altered states is not well understood. In a study published this week in Clinical Neurophysiology, MIT researchers reveal some key brainwave changes among patients receiving the drug.

For a period of about three minutes after the administration of nitrous oxide at anesthetic doses, electroencephalogram (EEG) recordings show large-amplitude slow-delta waves, a powerful pattern of electrical firing that sweeps across the front of the brain as slowly as once every 10 seconds.

This frequency is characteristic of our deepest sleep, but the waves induced by nitrous oxide are twice as large as—and seemingly more powerful than—the ones seen in slumber. "We literally watched it and marveled, because it was totally unexpected," says Emery Brown, the Edward Hood Taplin Professor of Medical Engineering at MIT and an anesthesiologist at Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH). "Nitrous oxide has control over the brain in ways no other drug does."

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy