Zuca: tapering Seroquel

Zuca

Hi All,

I've just started a taper from 25 mg Seoquel a couple of nights ago. I'm cutting a small amount off the edge of the pill each night with a razor. I have only been on 25 mg for about 3-4 weeks but have read even coming off 25 mg for a short period needs to be done slowly.

Dr says I suffer from Bipolar III. I think I just suffer anxiety and depression.

My heart goes out to those who have been on a high dose of this poison for a long time. If it was not for some of the horror stories I had read, I would not have known to be so careful, even on only 25 mg. My plan is to get off this terrible drug before I find myself typing "I've been on 25 mg for X years and cannot get off".

I have been taking 25 mg of Seoquel only since 26 Nov 2014. Psychiatrist said I will stop this drug soon. I won't see him till Early Feb 2014. After reading up on Seoquel withdrawl issues (scary even at small doses!), I am currently doing a slow tapper by cutting a small amount off with a razor each night. I have sent Psychiatrist an email explaining I want to taper off Seoque.

Psychiatrist Prescribed 26 Nov 2014:

1-2 Imovane (Zopiclone) 7.5 mg night (optional) sleeping pill. Only used a couple, they turned me into a zombie
1-2 Seroquel (Quetiapine) 25 mg anti-psychotic at night. Been taking 1 each night since 26 Nov 2014
1 Fluvoxamine (luvox) 50 mg antidepressant at night. Been taking 1 each night since 26 Nov 2014
1 Epilim (Sodium Valproate) 500 mg mood stabiliser at night with food.

Psychiatrist reduced/changed meds 10 Dec 2014:
1 Seroquel (Quetiapine) 25 mg anti-psychotic at night. Been taking 1 each night since 26 Nov 2014. He said we will stop Seroquel soon.
1 Fluvoxamine 50 mg antidepressant at night. Been taking 1 each night since 26 Nov 2014

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Zuca,

Welcome to SA, thank you for posting an introduction and for filling in your signature.  I'm so sorry your doctor has put you on all these dangerous drugs all at once, it horrifies me to know that they actually do this kind of thing every day.  Are you wanting to stop taking all of them, or just the seroquel?

Why does your doctor think you have Bipolar III?

If you are taking more than one medication, there may be interactions between them, which your doctor is unaware of, these may be adding to your symptoms.  Please put ALL the drugs you take in the drugs.com Drug Interactions Checker at:

Drug Interactions Checker

You may post the results here in your thread.

Because you have only been taking Seroquel for 3 - 4 weeks, you should be able to taper off it fairly fast.  If I were you I would reduce if by a quarter of a tablet, for a few nights and then if you are ok with that, reduce by another quarter and keep going like this down to nothing over the course of 2 - 3 weeks, as long as you are feeling ok.  No need to draw this out for months after having been on it for such a short time.

I'd highly recommend reading Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker. Psych meds can be pretty perilous and in my opinion should only be used for short times and very cautiously, if at all.

You might also find this youtube video enlightening:

There are much safer ways of treating anxiety and depression than taking toxic drugs which cause side effects and long term health consequences.  The longer you stay on these drugs, the harder it is to come off them. Counseling, and lifestyle changes are a much safer alternative for handling problems with emotions and moods.

Please stay in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Zuca,

You may wish to try magnesium for your anxiety. It helped me. I just wish I had tried magnesium before I ever touched a psych drug

Prozac 1999-2009 quit semi cold turkey.

2012 Placed on Seroquel 25 mg, Tranxene (Clorezepate) 3.75 mg 3x a day, Remeron 30 mg for anxiety/akathesia.

Weaned off Seroquel and Tranxene .to Remeron 15 Mg.

In May 2014 tried quitting Remeron at its lowest dose. Had severe withdrawals.Reinstated Remeron at 30 mg by doctor. August 5 2014 entered hospital. Doctor pulled the Remeron and bridged it to Pamelor (Nortriptyline) 40mg and Zyprexa 2.5mg.After removing the Remeron all my bad symptoms went away and I am stable.

9/11/14 - 7.5 mg tranxene, 40mg Pamelor, Zyprexa 2.5mg

12/29/14 -  20mg Pamelor, 1/6/15,  7/31/15 3.5mg, 8/10/15 3.2 mg, 9/15/15 2.2mg, 10/15/15 1.8mg

(Feb 2016 - 1.4mg Pamelor only -  OFF OF TRANXENE AND ZYPREXA SINCE DEC 2014 BENZO FREE Since 2014. Nortrityline (Pamelor) .8mg Aug 2016

March 2017 DRUG FREE

• Administrator

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 2 years later...

Hi, I don't take anything anymore. I am grateful to the information here about tapering.

After my experience I am convinced my doctors were right about one thing and wrong about another. Right that I am sensitive to medication, and wrong in that they downplay the 'side effects' 'interactions' and 'withdrawals' from the meds. When i was admitted by police to acute while on a double dose of Aropax* that had me in a manic state, a patient warned me that "They don't know what they are doing man, try this, try that, hit and miss, they can't diagnose accurately and just get it right first time". I thought he was an idiot and my doctors know what they are doing. But they didn't. When I left there I was a zombie with a plastic box to help me work out what to take each morning and night. I sat. As a person who is highly motivated and energetic, I spent months just sitting, and.. well the meds play with our minds. That was a scary time.

But now, I don't take anything. I learned from the whole experience, and I am more empathetic now to anyone who experiences or has experienced mental health issues. More in touch with my mental health. More aware.

In Dec 2014 I was doing the following:

1-2 Imovane (Zopiclone) 7.5 mgsleeping tablets at night (optional). Only took 1 a few nights, felt crap next day
1-2 Seroquel (Quetiapine) 25 mg anti-psychotic at night. Only took 1 each night
1 Fluvoxamine 50 mg antidepressant in morning (or at night if makes sleepy). Took at night
1 Epilim 500 mg mood stabiliser at night with food. Found it disturbs my sleep, started taking at 4pm with snack, slept much better.

Off Imovane
Off Epilim
Happy to stay on Fluvoxamine
Planning to quit the 25mg of Seroquel

It has been a long journey over the last 3 years. The last year has been pretty good actually.

I received an email from this website, and unlike most spam (that the email address is for) I was very happy to see the email. I was in such a bad place back then that it was all a blur.

Now, I am careful. I made life changes to my routines. I exercise every 3 days, it helps with sleep, and staying clam and focused, never skip breakfast, never coffee, I hardly ever drink alcohol. I read for 1/2 hour each night before sleep. I'll turn down lines of coke if offered. I know how to deal with insomnia now, it creeps in... and I know that doctors will make mistakes and prescribe things that are not compatible with some people. To be careful.

Be nice to yourself, if you are in a dark place, it's not forever, and when you do get out, you too might be better than before, by knowing just how dark it can get.

Thank you for the email asking to drop by. I might even do the survey.

Now I take nothing.

*Doctors confirmed later I should never have been on aropax-paroxetine, however they just shrug it off.

I have been taking 25 mg of Seoquel only since 26 Nov 2014. Psychiatrist said I will stop this drug soon. I won't see him till Early Feb 2014. After reading up on Seoquel withdrawl issues (scary even at small doses!), I am currently doing a slow tapper by cutting a small amount off with a razor each night. I have sent Psychiatrist an email explaining I want to taper off Seoque.

1-2 Imovane (Zopiclone) 7.5 mg night (optional) sleeping pill. Only used a couple, they turned me into a zombie
1-2 Seroquel (Quetiapine) 25 mg anti-psychotic at night. Been taking 1 each night since 26 Nov 2014
1 Fluvoxamine (luvox) 50 mg antidepressant at night. Been taking 1 each night since 26 Nov 2014

1 Seroquel (Quetiapine) 25 mg anti-psychotic at night. Been taking 1 each night since 26 Nov 2014. He said we will stop Seroquel soon.
1 Fluvoxamine 50 mg antidepressant at night. Been taking 1 each night since 26 Nov 2014

• ChessieCat changed the title to Zuca: I take nothing now
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Zuca, thank you for coming back and updating us. It is great to see that you have tapered successfully and are doing well. It's always good to see that people are recovered and getting on with life. Thank you also for filling in the survey, we hope that moast people will fill it in, there are thousands of members here and we will be one big voice shouting out the truth about withdrawal. 

I merged your topics so that you history is in one place. :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

On 8/21/2017 at 10:28 PM, Zuca said:

I might even do the survey.

Quoting a line from  my favourite movie ..that would be "a wonderful choice" if you did.

Thanks for the update too

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• ChessieCat changed the title to Zuca: tapering Seroquel
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

HElloooooooooo admins of the group...

According to what Zuca has written, this post should be at the success section...

Zuca that is a great news from your side buddy. Good Luck

All the best

2015 -  2016 Xanax only rescue doses of 0.125 mg 1-2 times per month
 March 2016 0.125Mg * 2 Xanax for 10 days.

20 March 2016 0.25 Mg * 2 Xanax for one week. 1 April 2016 Tranxene 5 mg and Fevarin but bad reaction for 5 days.4 April 2016 25 Mg Amitryptiline + 6 MG bromazepam at night

Started tapering Bromazepam 6 days later reached up to 3 MG in 10 days and withdrawal. Pdoc asked to go 6 MG again.

10 of May started Remeron 15 MG and started tapering Bromazepam again.

SINCE 09/06/2016 BENZO FREE - Started Tapering Remeron 04/07/2016

04/Jul/16 12.8 Mg, 11/Aug/16 12 Mg, 20/Aug/16 11Mg, 3/Sept/16 10Mg, 11/Sept/16 9 Mg, 30/Sept/16 8.1 Mg, 14/Oct/16 7.25 Mg, 17/Nov/16 6.7, 23/Nov/16 6.5, 2/Dec/16 6.25, 9/Dec/16 6Mg, 25/Dec/16 5.7Mg, 4/Jan/17 5.4Mg, 20/Jan/17 5.2Mg, 07/Feb/17 5 Mg, 15/Feb/17 4.8Mg, 27/Feb/17 4.5Mg, 15/Mar/17 4.2Mg, 23/Mar/17 4Mg, 1/Apr/17 3.7Mg, 14/Apr/17 3.4Mg, 27/Apr/17 3.1Mg, 06/May/17 2.8Mg, 22/May/17 2.6Mg, 31/May/17 2.3Mg 09/Jun/17 2Mg, 20/Jun/17 1.7Mg, 29/Jun/17 1.4Mg, 11/Jul/17 1.2Mg, 20/Jul/17 1Mg, 31/Jul/17 0.8Mg, 11/Aug/17 0.6Mg, 23/Aug/17 0.5Mg, 05/Sept/17 0.4Mg, 13/Sept/17 0.3Mg. 22/Sept/17 0.2Mg, 03/Oct/17 0.15Mg, 10/Oct/17 0.1Mg, 23/Oct/17 0.05Mg, 22/Nov/17 0.025Mg, 06/DECEMBER/2017 MIRT FREEE.

• 3 years later...

Still going strong. I did the survey. All the best to all of you !