SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ nz11 climbs onboard

nz11

Just want to say that wdl  appears to have left me with an inability or perceived inability to cry. I just cant cry. Strange cos I suffered wdl induced crying every day for several years. 

I recently have experienced a situation whereby a normal brain would have cried but I resorted back to wdl type whimpering animal noises (one family member calls it animal noises..stop those animal noises they say) instead of tears. So I make sure I keep away from people during this time. Sounds weird doesn't it. But I just didn't cry.

I've been thinking these drugs may leave  a kind of damaged frontal lobes. If it does it still hasn't healed at 7 yrs drug free.

Access to the emotions which is in the frontal lobes is being denied.

Its almost like signals  wanting to pass into the area of emotions and foresight and behavioural rules are going not into the frontal lobes but dead end neurological streets.

Maybe i need some more disasters in my life so i can test this out some more but if this is anywhere near true then what an insult to leave people deprived of their humanity like this.   

Perhaps this is simply what people call drug induced anhedonia. 

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Interesting .......... is it across the board NZ ........ for example ........ are you able to feel joy and are you able to express it? How about the other normal human emotions? Also .... sorry that you have experienced an occasion that brought such pain ....... hope you get through it ok.

• Moderator Emeritus

2 hours ago, nz11 said:

Maybe i need some more disasters in my life so i can test this out some more but if this is anywhere near true then what an insult to leave people deprived of their humanity like this.   

I do get where you're coming from here, NZ, but I don't see you or anyone else posting on this board as being "deprived of their humanity". I think we are some of the most compassionate and humane people out there. I know it's a struggle to "feel" that now, but it doesn't mean it's not there. 

It's the people who did this to us who lack humanity. 

It's possible that your recent inability to feel was your brain "protecting" you from this event and preventing it from causing more damage to your already sensitive nervous system. As you are able, you'll be able to process the event, but for now, allow your brain to do its thing and keep you as safe as possible from overwhelming emotions. It's interesting the way withdrawal shuts down the amygdala (the fear center of the brain), closes various memory centers down, and blunts the emotions. I have a feeling if the brain weren't doing all of this for us, we'd be in a much worse position because our nervous systems are simply too damaged to handle much. I have no proof of this, but I find it a very comforting thought to imagine my brain fighting the good fight for me. 

I don't buy into the permanent brain damage aspect that some people do (and I'm from the long-term antipsychotic survivors group). I view that as a kind of "trap thinking" and it discounts the very real probability of compensatory gains in other parts of the brain, as well as knowledge gained from the experience itself that makes us wise beyond our years. 

Please take good care of yourself with all of the non-drug coping techniques you can as you go through this situation. You're a very kind soul, NZ. Your humanity is indeed intact. 

• Moderator Emeritus
3 hours ago, nz11 said:

I recently have experienced a situation whereby a normal brain would have cried but I resorted back to wdl type whimpering animal noises (one family member calls it animal noises..stop those animal noises they say) instead of tears. So I make sure I keep away from people during this time. Sounds weird doesn't it. But I just didn't cry.

In addition to echoing Shep's excellent post, my question NZ is did you feel all the emotion and just not cry?  Or did you not feel the emotion?  VERY different situatinos in my book.  

Crying is a physiological response that is triggered by a part of the brain.  Feeling emotion is a different and emotional response.  The former could simply be a question of that portion of the brain being slow to the dance in terms of coming on line.

If you can clarify that would help.

And, you are one of the most "humane" people on this board.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

8 hours ago, caperjackie said:

Interesting .......... is it across the board NZ ........ for example ........ are you able to feel joy and are you able to express it? How about the other normal human emotions? Also .... sorry that you have experienced an occasion that brought such pain ....... hope you get through it ok.

Greetings caperjackie how lovely to hear from you, happy new year. 

That was a fast reply ...CJ ....are you following me or something! ...lol 

Good question.

Well it is not across the board because i do feel anger it seems to well up easily. But i know about it so i try to not reveal it.

Thanks for the kind words. yeah that's why there was no 7 yr update last year. 

Thanks Shep and Andy for your replies.

I have to say i feel a bit embarrassed these days when i flick my intro onto the leader board where people are basically fighting for their lives.

Those years are now a distant memory.

Maybe we need a main board and then have a secondary board for 'sunshiners'.

Andy i like your term the brain is slow to dance. What a great way to describe it.

I cant help but feel my brain apathetically sometimes doesn't  turn up to the dance.

Then there are times the brain turns up at the dance but then is the first to leave.

Thanks for the thoughts Shep and kind words.

I feel the emotional response mechanism under intense stress is compromised. Something is not right.

I revert to a type of restlessness distressed panic attack kind of thing with whimpering groaning noises.

Its a state whereby i would be extremely embarrassed to be seen in public like this. Although 'talking' seems to subdue it.  

During this time i have to keep away from others until it settles down. 

Prior to drug exposure this was never a way i responded. This manifestation is uncharacteristic and abnormal.

You have all given me something to think about.

Have a great day. 

nz11

Back to reading Katinka....

"When i left St Charles Hospital in November 2013 i vowed never to take another psychiatric medication again. The doctors told me i had to take venlafaxine (Effexor) for a year i chucked it away. Three weeks later, something returned i'd forgotten had disappeared; my libido. I remember my mum confiding in me that my dad was impotent. It was another two years before i realized the significance of that."p105 [I think i recall somewhere she mentioned  her father committed suicide.....hmm are you thinking what I'm thinking].

.."In just a day i go from smoking 70 a day to none at all. I came to understand why all mental patients smoke - it must be something to do with the way medication disrupts the chemistry of your brain. After i left hospital, i didn't touch a single cigarette again". p99

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

1 hour ago, nz11 said:

I have to say i feel a bit embarrassed these days when i flick my intro onto the leader board where people are basically fighting for their lives.

Those years are now a distant memory.

Maybe we need a main board and then have a secondary board for 'sunshiners'.

Or maybe you could feel good that you are putting your thread at the top thereby letting us see that what we are experiencing (or have recently experienced in our last wave) is going to one day be "a distant memory."  

I know I need to see that amidst all the agony.  Thanks for the sunshine, NZ!

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

2001-2011 Celexa 10 mg raised to 40 mg then 60 mg over this time period

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2012-2016 - Doctors raised dose of Zoloft up to 150 mg

2016 - Xanax prescribed - as needed - 0.5 mg about every 3 days (bad reaction)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Late 2016- Began (too fast) taper of Zoloft

Early 2017 - Trazodone prescribed for bedtime (doseage unknown)

Feb 2017 - Completed taper/stopped Trazodone

Drug free since Feb 2017

2017 - Unisom otc very rarely for sleep

Just wanted to put this quote somewhere so decided to put it here. 

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 5:03 PM, Petunia said:

Its obvious I have some kind of functional neurological damage, my brain and nervous system don't work the way they used to, the way they did before I ever took an antidepressant drug. I used to just have some situational anxiety, faulty beliefs and difficult circumstances mostly caused by bad choices. But now I've got something much worse, with no solution, treatment or cure, only hope, time and hanging onto faith in my brains ability to repair the damage.

Lets continue to hold onto time hope and faith 

Recovering paxil addict

thanks for popping in to comment Rosetta.

Congratulations being 1 yr drug free at the end of this month.

Recovering paxil addict

2 minutes ago, nz11 said:

Were you informed of the side effects and wdl difficulty like say.... that Zyprexa can cause diabetes?  or that 12 people in the Zyprexa drug trials committed suicide and it appears the number of suicidal acts were well kind of not recorded or disclosed funny that....

For those who want some info on Zyprexa there is a revealing read  from the Healy website in the above link.

From the above link you will read that Healy tried to find out how many suicidal attempts (on top of the 12 committed) in the Zyprexa trial,

Healy records:

I wrote to Lilly asking for the data and had the following response:

Dear Dr Healy

Thank-you for your letter concerning suicide attempts in clinical trials with olanzapine, which was forwarded to us by Harry Owens. I am sorry you did not find our previous letter on this subject helpful.

Your question was referred to our parent company in the USA, but unfortunately the specific data you requested are not available.

Yours sincerely – Dr A Simpson, Medical Director

The previous letter had intimated the data didn’t exist, which was scarcely credible. This was a time when the company according to documents later obtained under FOI were doing everything they could to get me or my junior doctor to prescribe Zyprexa, not showing me the data made it impossible to prescribe their drug.

There is a compelling case antipsychotics cause dependence and withdrawal; Trantor and Healy 1998

And here is an excerpt from Whitaker's Anatomy page 207-208... 

Imagine that a virus suddenly appears in our society that makes people sleep 12, 14 hours a day. Those infected with it move about somewhat slowly and seem emotionally disengaged. Many gain huge amounts of weight – 20, 40, 60 and even 100 pounds. Often, their blood sugar levels soar, and so do the cholesterol levels. A number of those struck by the mysterious illness – including young children and teenagers – become diabetic in fairly short order. Reports of patients occasionally dying from pancreatitis  appear in the medical literature.

Newspapers and magazines fill their pages with accounts of this new scourge, which is dubbed metabolic dysfunction illness, and parents are in a panic over the thought that their children might contract this horrible disease. The federal government gives hundreds of millions of dollars to scientists at the best universities to decipher the inner workings of this virus, and they report that the reason it causes such global dysfunction is that it blocks a multitude of neurotransmitter receptors in the brain – dopaminergic, serotonergic, muscarinic, adrenergic, and histaminergic.

All of those neuronal pathways in the brain are compromised. Meanwhile, MRI studies find that over a period of several years, the virus shrinks the cerebral cortex, and the shrinkage is tied to cognitive decline. A terrified public clamors for a cure. Now such an illness has in fact had millions of American children and adults. We have just described the effects of Eli Lilly’s bestselling antipsychotic, Zyprexa.

Also from Whitaker's anatomy

In 1984, Swedish physician Lars Martensson, in a presentation at the World Federation of mental health conference in Copenhagen, summed up the devastating bottom line.

“The use of neuroleptics [antipsychotics] is a trap,” he said. "It is like having a psychosis inducing agent built into the brain” pg 107

….. MRI studies showed that antipsychotics worsen the very symptoms they are supposed to treat, and that this worsening begins to occur during the first three years that patients are on the drugs. Pg 112

Many people are being given Zyprexa or Seroquel for sleep 

Antipsychotics as First-Line Insomnia Treatment a No-No

"These drugs carry significant risk of potential side effects, including weight gain and metabolic disorders," said Dr Wilkes.

"Using antipsychotics to treat insomnia is a little like using a sledgehammer to drive in a thumbtack.."

Recovering paxil addict

20 hours ago, nz11 said:

thanks for popping in to comment Rosetta.

Congratulations being 1 yr drug free at the end of this month.

Thank you, nz11!  Glad to see you are doing so well.  

A rhetorical question: do you suppose superstition might be a WD symptom?  I'm nervous about feeling much better in the past month as if I dare not be happy for fear that I'll be back in the thick of it!!  

Seriously, thanks.  I'm hoping I'll be in good enough shape to celebrate (sans alcohol).  I don't even know the date I finally stopped Zoloft.  That's how poorly informed I was about the life altering consequences.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

2001-2011 Celexa 10 mg raised to 40 mg then 60 mg over this time period

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2012-2016 - Doctors raised dose of Zoloft up to 150 mg

2016 - Xanax prescribed - as needed - 0.5 mg about every 3 days (bad reaction)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Late 2016- Began (too fast) taper of Zoloft

Early 2017 - Trazodone prescribed for bedtime (doseage unknown)

Feb 2017 - Completed taper/stopped Trazodone

Drug free since Feb 2017

2017 - Unisom otc very rarely for sleep

7 hours ago, nz11 said:

For those who want some info on Zyprexa there is a revealing read  from the Healy website in the above link.

From the above link you will read that Healy tried to find out how many suicidal attempts (on top of the 12 committed) in the Zyprexa trial,

Healy records:

Dear Dr Healy

Thank-you for your letter concerning suicide attempts in clinical trials with olanzapine, which was forwarded to us by Harry Owens. I am sorry you did not find our previous letter on this subject helpful.

Your question was referred to our parent company in the USA, but unfortunately the specific data you requested are not available.

The previous letter had intimated the data didn’t exist, which was scarcely credible. This was a time when the company according to documents later obtained under FOI were doing everything they could to get me or my junior doctor to prescribe Zyprexa, not showing me the data made it impossible to prescribe their drug.

There is a compelling case antipsychotics cause dependence and withdrawal; Trantor and Healy 1998

Imagine that a virus suddenly appears in our society that makes people sleep 12, 14 hours a day. Those infected with it move about somewhat slowly and seem emotionally disengaged. Many gain huge amounts of weight – 20, 40, 60 and even 100 pounds. Often, their blood sugar levels soar, and so do the cholesterol levels. A number of those struck by the mysterious illness – including young children and teenagers – become diabetic in fairly short order. Reports of patients occasionally dying from pancreatitis  appear in the medical literature.

Newspapers and magazines fill their pages with accounts of this new scourge, which is dubbed metabolic dysfunction illness, and parents are in a panic over the thought that their children might contract this horrible disease. The federal government gives hundreds of millions of dollars to scientists at the best universities to decipher the inner workings of this virus, and they report that the reason it causes such global dysfunction is that it blocks a multitude of neurotransmitter receptors in the brain – dopaminergic, serotonergic, muscarinic, adrenergic, and histaminergic.

All of those neuronal pathways in the brain are compromised. Meanwhile, MRI studies find that over a period of several years, the virus shrinks the cerebral cortex, and the shrinkage is tied to cognitive decline. A terrified public clamors for a cure. Now such an illness has in fact had millions of American children and adults. We have just described the effects of Eli Lilly’s bestselling antipsychotic, Zyprexa.

In 1984, Swedish physician Lars Martensson, in a presentation at the World Federation of mental health conference in Copenhagen, summed up the devastating bottom line.

“The use of neuroleptics [antipsychotics] is a trap,” he said. "It is like having a psychosis inducing agent built into the brain” pg 107

….. MRI studies showed that antipsychotics worsen the very symptoms they are supposed to treat, and that this worsening begins to occur during the first three years that patients are on the drugs. Pg 112

"These drugs carry significant risk of potential side effects, including weight gain and metabolic disorders," said Dr Wilkes.

"Using antipsychotics to treat insomnia is a little like using a sledgehammer to drive in a thumbtack.."

HI nz11,yikes I count myself lucky I refused Zyprexa more than a year ago to treat withdrawl induced stress .just going by how difficult getting off venlafaxine is for me ,I could just imagine the damage this would of done .

Ive shown I never needed this drug and some day ile try to change the doctors opinion and save so many more people from the damage ,the problem here in Ireland is people like terry lynch are so few and far between .sadly society today  is set up around survival of the fittest and the haves and have nots  .we can only hope the people closest to us listen and actively change there attitude with going to doctors for the simplest of reasons .[the height of denial and ignorance  this man shows though is worrying ].[he follows Eckhart tolle and I introduced him to gabor matte ].

The simple fact is the million pound mortgage and Mercedes in the drive way will keep continuing the ignorance and it wont change . 

I now realise my indoctrination of constantly going to the doctor started with my parents before I was even born [it didn't help I was a sick asthmatic child ].this cycle has to be broken to ever have a hope .my parents are getting older and they go to the doctor for the silliest reasons ,I now don't even want to know what they do with doctors .

my father would disagree with you just for the pleasure of it and the other week a simple conversation  about the flu and doctors nearly pushed me into a rage with him ,I now understand I have to give up the relationship I had with them for me to ever get well .I had a very bad day over Christmas and my mother turned around and said do ye want a relaxer [Xanax ].this from the women that has seen what drugs did to me .this process has thrown up all kinds of issues for me .I now question my whole existence and how I was raised .but I cant blame anyone, I pushed for answers too questions I had before withdrawl hit me ,now my mind is now  tortured.

Apologies nz11 a simple reply turned into a bit of a waffle  :D.I hope your well I commend you on your tireless work for truth and awareness.

PB 

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

Hi NZ11  I am sorry I have lost track of so many people during a horrendous past 2 years.  I came here to ask you if you still have that summary you wrote about withdrawal (it was hilarious) as I cannot find it now.  If you know the one I mean, can you put it in my journal please?

I just saw the post above about seroquel.  Yes, issn't it disgusting.  Seroquel was given to my son who is on huge doses of severalo psych drugs already and he committed suicide by o/d twice while taking these.  He was given them to  HELP HIM SLEEP!!  I am raging mad!  Not only that the side effect is suicide - get that?  CRAZY, CRAZY, crazy!

Where are you at now in the recovery process?

1995-2007      20mg Aropax/Paxil for pain.  Years of up and down doses

2008                Endep, Lexapro and then Esipram (hell!) CT (oh dear!)

2009                20mg Aropax.  Tried skipping doses for a year (more hell!)

2010                10mg.  10% taper.  Lasted 4 months. Crashed again

2011                5% taper. 9mg-7mg (hell got even worse!)

2012                2.5% taper.  6.6mg – 5.6mg (worser still & unbearable)

2013                5% taper.  Big mistake.  5.5mg – 4.6mg  (even worserer)

2014                2.5% taper.  4.9mg – 4.5mg;    2015 2.5% taper 4.4 - 4.0mg

2016                2.5% taper.  3.9mg  Feb 3.8   Mar 3.7  May 3.6   Jul 3.5

2017                2.5% taper.  Jan 3.4;   Mar 3.35;  Apr 3.3; Oct 3; Dec 2.9;

2018                2.5% taper. Jan 2.8; Mar 2.7; Mar: 2.75; Jun 2.7; Aug 2.6; Oct 2.5; Nov 2.4; Dec 2.3

2019                Jan 2.2; Feb 2.1;

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 4:45 PM, Rosetta said:

do you suppose superstition might be a WD symptom?  I'm nervous about feeling much better in the past month as if I dare not be happy for fear that I'll be back in the thick of it!!  

Hi Rosetta

How come you ask such good questions?

Don't recall seeing superstition in the JG checklist. When I went fishing in acute wdl  I did spit on my bait before I threw my line in ....but then again I did that before drugs too !

I don't think you should feel nervous guilty or concerned about feeling better....rejoice. 

I know that I would often brace myself for the morning hell mind onslaught that would hit me in the waking hours  I could feel it approaching and then bam it was like train crash daily in my head.

Recovering paxil addict

Thanks for popping in powerback...you are welcome to waffle on anytime.

Recovering paxil addict

Hi grandma nice to hear from you.

I'm not sure which one you are referring too. Maybe its in my intro or check out the 'best of sa' thread. I think some pieces surprisingly found there way to there.

Wow I wish you continued taper success you are now in your 8th year goodness. You are about to take out the taper distance record. I do hope you have written to appropriate adverse events authorities and brought this disgusting situation to their attention.

Recovering paxil addict

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 4:12 PM, nz11 said:

Healy records:

Dear Dr Healy

EXTRA NOTE ON ZYPREXA

Lilly has settled over $2 billion worth of claims that Zyprexa has raised  cholesterol and caused diabetes and other metabolic problems.

Apparently Lilly were in big financial trouble.....

This is interesting in light of this Zyprexa backstory taken from Pharmageddon by  Healy

To make zyprexa commercially viable, Lilly needed a new patent, which meant demonstrating some benefit not found with other antipsychotics.

In 1991, the only novelty presented in the company’s new patents application, which was approved, was a study in dogs in which Zyprexa  produced less elevation of blood cholesterol levels than another never  marketed drug. [!!]

Zyprexa has since turned out to be one of the drugs most likely in all of medicine to increase cholesterol levels in man. There is no basis to think this drug was any more effective than dozens of others and a lot of reasons to think it was more problematic for patients, but the marketing power that came with its patented  status enabled Lilly to hype its benefits and conceal its hazards and steer doctors to write enough Zyprexa prescriptions to save the company.

Four initial trials of Zyprexa in schizophrenia had given rise to 234 publications of one sort of another – almost entirely company written. In the 234 publications there was nothing on suicides, diabetes, or cholesterol and little on weight gain.

Not one publication hinted that patients given Zyprexa in these trials for schizophrenia had the highest suicide rate in clinical trials history; suicide was in fact rare in schizophrenia before the advent of antipsychotics.

Not one publication mentioned that patients in these trials went on to develop diabetes at a rate triple the background rate in the general population, when diabetes was almost unheard of in schizophrenia before the antipsychotics.

These and subsequent publications failed to reveal that regardless of diagnosis, Zyprexa raised cholesterol levels more than almost any other drug in medicine – though Zyprexa  had received a patent in part based on company claims that it would be less likely than other antipsychotics to raise cholesterol levels.

.......Zyprexa has been one of the biggest selling drugs of all time, grossing 4-5 billion per annum from the late 1990's to 2010.

(Pharmageddon Healy)

[ ...oh yeah Zyprexa causes less cholesterol elevation than the hoobydooby never marketed drug ....so  obviously it has benefits.....Nothing like a few white lies when it comes to billions or bust!!]

"There was arguably a better case to be made for patenting [Zyprexa]  to raise cholesterol than to treat psychosis" Healy

Recovering paxil addict

This evening I just cant stop thinking about that Zyprexa dog study and thinking well just goes to show that animals study results cant infer/translate to similar human study results....and then a thought occurred to me ....

what if they actually can .... 

what if Lilly who has clearly acted unconscionably  in their human study, acted with a  similar pathological lack of integrity in the animal study would they have cared....would they could they have done similar non reporting of harms, doggedly participated in data dredging and generally cooking the books, on  the dog study results. I bet they did! 

nz11

Just discovered choco chip sour dough vanilla ice cream...went down to the shop to get some more but the whole shelf was sold out....looks like the secret is out!

Found another new flavor though ..chocolate cookies and fudge! And its not to bad either.

Vet: Open wide... I'm just going to give you some lovely medicine that will make you feel better do more and live longer.

Dog: Please don't give me any  human medicine, I beg you!

Recovering paxil addict

9 hours ago, nz11 said:

This evening I just cant stop thinking about that Zyprexa dog study and thinking well just goes to show that animals study results cant infer/translate to similar human study results....and then a thought occurred to me ....

what if they actually can .... 

what if Lilly who has clearly acted unconscionably  in their human study, acted with a  similar pathological lack of integrity in the animal study would they have cared....would they could they have done similar non reporting of harms, doggedly participated in data dredging and generally cooking the books, on  the dog study results. I bet they did! 

nz11

Just discovered choco chip sour dough vanilla ice cream...went down to the shop to get some more but the whole shelf was sold out....looks like the secret is out!

Found another new flavor though ..chocolate cookies and fudge! And its not to bad either.

Vet: Open wide... I'm just going to give you some lovely medicine that will make you feel better do more and live longer.

Dog: Please don't give me any  human medicine, I beg you!

This your study with dogs made me so sad.

It remembered me: Now there was an article in Czech tabloid magazine that one ZOO will most probably let one giraffe die. It was a "man giraffe". And the ZOO said that they think he doesn't have a good genetic material and there is no program to send these animals to the nature so they will sterilize him first and if they dont find any other ZOO which would take him they let him die. And they even said that the previous "giraffe man" they had, they gave him contraception (hormonal) and when he was from it aggressive, they just killed him. The human beings are such pigs, at least some! I feel so much pity for these animals in caves.

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

Bit sad about the giraffe Martina. 

Recovering paxil addict

Warning:  Prediction alert 

Prediction: We are going to be seeing more and more people on trintellix. With a lot being switched from other ads. 

I do know that GSK has recently stated that they aren't paying prescribing kickbacks for paxil anymore.

If you were a doctor what would you do in light of this action by GSK?

Well  if I was a doctor I might still want my prescribing kickback monthly payment, so what could I do ....ahhhhh, lightbulb moment..... I would  consider switching you to one where I got a top rate kickback maybe the most expensive so there is plenty of fat to be shared around......I mean why not, if you can.

Wow look at the price of Trintellix ($340 for 30, 5 mg tablets) oh my those prescribing kickbacks are something to die for.

What about trintellix then? Heres the plan.

1. Lets do the switch.

2. Reassure the patient it will be an easy peasy switch and no worries mate!

3. Tell the patient that you are doing the switch because trintellix is safer and better for you compared to their current ad. Well that's what the T rep told me to say.;)

4. Backup plan.... If/when the switch turns to custard refer patient to the hospital or a p-doc and let them take responsibility for the mess. 

5. Keep fingers crossed there may be a heap more prescribing kickbacks to come out of the hospital or p-doc visit if all goes to plan.;) 

6. Don't disclose kickbacks.

7. Any complaints then simply reply saying patient has a mental illness. 

(Safer and better for you!!! Yeah right. These drugs all have black box warnings!! including T. That is as unsafe as one can get before having the drug pulled off the market!!

Recovering paxil addict

Oh Yes nz,  Trintellix is an evil little pill...makes me sick thinking about it...actually vortioxetine literally did make me sick to my stomach.  I guess the pharmaceutical company 'Lundbeck' needed a big money maker, after their patent for abilify, citalopram and escitalopram expired. The company was struggling financially...poor things.  Vortioxetine doesn't even fit into any of the existing antidepressant categories.  This happy little pill targets 'all' the receptors!  A new wonder drug! They must have put all their exsisting psychotropics into a giant blender, whizzed it up and....hey presto! Trintellix, brintellix, vortioxetine.  Well, thank you Lundbeck, because I'm sure your new crappy drug gave me serotonin syndrome...but I'm sure you lined the pockets of my psychiatrist...at least someone's happy.  😡😡😡😡

Rant over. 

Thankyou nz for bringing this up.  People need to be warned. K 

• Citalopram 20mg - 40mg ~ approx 2010 - October 2015 (stopped over one week)
  • Parnate  20mg - 50mg and olazapine 5mg ~ Jan 2016 - May 2016 (ceased over 2 days) 
  • Lithium 450mg-900 mg and Thyroxin ~May 2016 - May 2017
  • Diazepam various doses (including PRN) ~ 2015 - 2017
  • Oxazepam various doses (including PRN) ~ May 2016 - June 2016
  • Lurasidone 20mg ~Mid May 2016 - Mid June 2016
  • Vortioxetine 10mg - 20mg ~ 6th June 2016 - 20th July 2016 (abruptly ceased)
  • Amitriptyline 200mg ~July 2016 - September 2016 (ceased over 1 week)
  • Nortriptyline  (dose ?) ~October 2016 ~ November 2016 (abruptly ceased)
  • Seroquel XR 100mg - 300mg ~ May 2016 - August 2017 (ceased over 3 weeks)
  • Escitalopram 10mg - 30mg ~ August 2016 - March 2017 (ceased over 2 weeks)
  • Bupropion 300mg ~ December 2016 - May 2017 (ceased over 1 week)
  • Clonazepam 1.5mg daily ~ July 2016 (started tapering May 2017 - September 2017 currently on 0.375mg..ie 0.125mg TDS) 27th May 2018 5% 0.357mg (possible paradoxical reaction - see benzo thread)  28th June 5% 0.337mg, 28th July 10% 0.303mg, 12th September10% 0.272mg, 18th September reinstated 10% due to intolerable WD 0.303mg, 1st October-11th Oct 10% (1% reduction over 10 days) 0.272mg, 22nd October clonazepam ceased crossed over 10mg diazepam
  •  Dexamphatamine 20mg ~ December 2016 (started tapering October 2017 - tapered 1.25mg 4th Dec 2017, 1.25mg 19th Dec 2017 6.25mg, Speed up decrease due to major interaction between Dex and fluoxetine- ref to thread 10% 17th Feb 2018 5.63mg, 10% 21st Feb 2018 5.1mg, 10% 26th Feb 2018 4.5mg 10% 28th Feb 4.1mg, 10% 1st March 3.7mg, 10% 5th March 3.3mg, 10% 8th March 3mg, 10% 10th March 2.7mg, 10% 12th March 2.4mg, 10% 14th March 2.16mg, 10% 16th March 1.94mg, 10% 18th March 1.74mg, 10% 20th March 1.57mg, 10% 21st March 1.41mg, 10% 22nd March 1.26mg, 10% 23rd March 1.13mg, 10% 24th March 1.01mg, 10% 25th March 0.9mg, 10% 27th March 0.81mg, 10% 29th March 0.73mg, 10% 31st March 0.66mg, 10% 2nd April 0.59mg , 10% 4th April 0.53mg, 10% 6th April 0.47mg, 10% 8th April 0.42mg, 10%10th April 0.37mg, 11th April 0.2mg, 12th April 0.1mg (last dose) OFF! 
  • Fluoxetine 40mg ~December 2016 - 31 Jan 2018 reduced to 20mg (probable serotonin toxicity) 10th March 2020 10mg (1:1 ratio), 7th April 9mg, 1st May 8.5mg, 15th May 8.0mg, 27th May 7.5mg, 8th Sept 7.2mg, 2nd Oct 7mg, 19th Oct 6.8mg, 28th Oct 6.6mg, 5th Nov 6.4mg, 26th Nov 6mg, 2nd April 2021 5.9mg, 9th April 5.8mg, 19th April 5.75mg, 22nd April 5.7mg, 26th April 5.65mg,28th April 5.6mg, 1st May 5.5mg, 4th May 5.45mg, 7th May 5.4mg, 10th May 5.35mg, 12th May 5.3mg, 15th May 5.25mg, 18th May 5.2mg, 20th May 5.15mg, 22nd May 5mg, 10th July 4.5mg, 9th Aug 4.48mg (switched from syringe to pipette method), 12th Aug 4.46mg, 14th Aug 4.4mg, 18th Aug 4.38mg, 19th Aug 4.36mg, 20th Aug 4.34, 21st 4.32mg, 22nd 4.3mg, 23rd Aug 4mg (hold), (micro-taper) 12th Oct 2021 3.98mg, 14th Oct 3.96mg, 15th Oct 3.94mg, 16th Oct 3.92mg, 17th Oct 3.9mg, 18th Oct 3.88mg, 19th Oct 3.86mg, 21st Oct 3.84mg, 22nd Oct 3.82mg, 23rd Oct 3.8mg, 24th Oct 3.78mg, 25th Oct 3.76mg, 26th Oct 3.74mg, 27th Oct 3.72mg, (WD reached intolerable level, reinstated 0.06mg) 28th Oct 3.8mg, 7th March 2022 3.7mg, 21st March 3.6mg, 4th April 3.5mg, 18th April 3.4mg, 2nd May 3.3mg, 16th May 3.2mg, 20th June 3.1mg, 4th July 3mg, 18th July 2.9mg, 12th September 2.7mg, 18th October 2.5mg, 14th Nov 2.3mg, 12th December 2.1mg, 18th January 2023 1.9mg, 9th July 2023 1.88mg, 16th July 1.86mg, 23rd July 1.84mg, 30th July 1.82mg, 6th Aug 1.80mg, 10th Sept 1.7mg, 12th Oct 1.68mg, 23rd Oct 1.66mg, 30th Oct 1.64mg, 6th Nov 1.62mg, 13th Nov 1.60mg, (2:1 ratio) 30th Dec 1.597mg, 7th Jan 2024 1.595mg, 8th 1.592mg,  10th 1.589, 11th 1.587, 12th 1.585, 13th 1.583, 14th 1.58 cont… 5th Feb 1.56mg, 11th Feb 1.55mg, 19th Feb 1.54mg, 26th Feb 1.53mg, 4th March 1.52mg, 11th March 1.51mg, 25th March 1.50mg, 1st April 1.49mg
  • Diazepam 10mg ~ 22nd Oct 2018, 10th November 8mg, 14th Nov 7mg, 8th December 6mg, 30th December 5mg (Nocte), 7th March 2019 4.5mg,14th March 4mg, 5th April 3.5mg, 9th April 3mg, 18th April 2.5mg,1st May 2mg, 17th May 1.75mg, 25th May 1.6mg, 4th June 1.59mg, 5th June 1.58mg, 6th June 1.57mg, 7th June 1.56mg, 8th June 1.55mg, 22nd June 1.4mg, 4th July 1.2mg, 16th July 1mg, 30th July 0.8mg, 13th Aug 0.6mg, 28th Aug 0.4mg, 10th Sept 0.2mg, 23rd Sept Off! 
  • SR Circadin 2mg (melatonin) 25th May - 20th June 
  • Zolpidem 10mg 25th May (7 tablets)
  • Supplements: Magnesium glycinate (soluble - sip throughout the day) 

"Whenever you feel yourself doubting how far you can go,  just remember how far you have come.  Remember everything you have faced, all the battles you have won, and all the fears you have overcome"    Unknown 

19 minutes ago, Kristine said:

Vortioxetine doesn't even fit into any of the existing antidepressant categories

Scary isn't it.

Thanks for commenting Kristine.

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus

Interesting nz11

......and it's already gone generic??!  Perhaps just in the U.S. 

I don't really follow in how they name this stuff.........Trintellix sounds like a cure for trichotrillomania(if that's the hair pulling out thing)........either that or a triple receptor action type medication/drug.  The tri part.

What they often do here.......or used to.........is provide free samples for quite some time of the newer stuff.  And then.......when it is no longer sampled one is responsible to pay a fortune to continue on the same medication or wait while filing for patient assistance from the maker.

Yah.......it's a crazy world and marketing scheme and, and, and.........

Love, peace, healing/inrecovery, and growth,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
spelling error

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Hi MMT

Thanks for commenting in my intro.

nz11

Recovering paxil addict

Today I finished the book 

The pill that steals lives by Katinka Blackford Newman

One woman’s terrifying journey to discover the truth about antidepressants.

Katinka is an award-winning documentary film director and journalist she had a year stolen from her life by psychiatric drugs.

The book is a story about her journey. She intertwines it with her life as a single mum with two children and her desire to get to the truth of what has happened to her and weaving all this with snipets from the documentary she puts together in her  journey and quest to make known he truth about ads.

She does this by doing her own research reading and interviewing all the names we know so well, plus a few others.

We all can relate to the fact that our journeys have enabled us to retrospectively understand what has happened to others in the past. For Katinka this joining of the dots couldn't have been more personal as she for the first time in her life through this journey realizes the plight and a possible reason for her depressed fathers suicide when she was just 12 years old. She got the reason spot on imo. Drugs from doctors.

The story finishes with her talking to her doctor over a coffee who sent her on this journey having erroneously diagnosed her with psychotic depression.

She manages to squeeze a sheepish admission from him that he might’ve got the diagnosis wrong  and the cause was an antidepressant that had been given to her.

“You acknowledge you may have got it wrong", I say. Yes I do, he replies.

[She requests for the sake of her two children that he put this in writing.]

Could you write them a letter, telling them that? You don’t have to say you did it get it wrong, just that you might have got it wrong. He hesitates – I notice his black coffee is untouched now has a coat of film on. I could probably do that, he murmurs. There is no eye contact. Do you promise? I say. Yes, I should be able to, he replies, looking at his watch. But there is no warmth in his eyes.

At the end of the book I was left wondering if the doctor had indeed put it in writing  Katinka did not reveal whether or not the  doctor had put  in writing his admission that he might have been wrong in his diagnosis. [ though we all know he was].

Based on my experience with doctors my guess is he never did. 

A lot of the research Katinka discovers will not be new to anyone here at sa. However there is always some interesting things to learn when reading other peoples research that one didn't know about.

I thought her interview with GSK whistleblower Blair Hamrick was very revealing. So I have chosen this piece to record here as well as a couple of other small quotes.

I recommend this book.

Seroxat has recently been in the press, with an expose that Glaxo (GSK) failed to publish the findings of Study 329, a clinical trial on Seroxat conducted between between 1994 and 1998, which tested its efficacy on depressed teenagers. Apparently they downplayed the negative findings and hired a PR firm to ghostwrite them. Subsequently a group of researchers, including David Healy, who are part of a group called RIAT (restoring invisible and abandoned trials), conclude that seroxat  is no more effective than a placebo but caused a significant increase in suicidal ideation.

The RIAT study has just come out but news that Glaxo has hidden its data has been known for some time: as I’ve previously mentioned, in 2012 Glaxo were fined $3 billion by the Department of Justice for doing just that.

And early on in my research I met with Blair Hamrick who worked for Glaxo as a salesman and played a key part in this. He was introduced to me by Bob Fiddamen, the seroxat sufferer who has now become a campaigner.

Meeting Blair Hamrick was a fascinating insight into the workings of the drug industry. It was in the summer of 2014 and we met in a hotel in London with his girlfriend. He told me how he used to be a successful drug salesman for Glaxo. One day he woke up and could no longer live with himself: he realised he was selling lies and risking lives. Back in 1997 he joined GSK as a drug rep in the USA. It was great to begin with and he was taken in by company propaganda that they were helping patients and that they were all part of a big healthcare solution. When they played the music from the sales video, he got goosebumps. Added to that, he got an $80,000 basic salary plus a 40,000 to 45,000 bonus depending on how many drugs he sold – plus of course a company car.

He says they were under great pressure to sell drugs off label (thats selling a drug for something it’s not licensed for). An example is Wellbutrin  an antidepressant. The reps were told to go out and sell it for weight loss and sexual dysfunction. They would tell doctors it was the ‘happy horny skinny’ drug and would often suggest it as an add-on to Prozac or antidepressants, which can cause people to gain weight and lose their sexual libido.

But there was a niggling doubt in the back of Blair’s mind about all of this. He had a degree in marketing, not science yet there he was, telling GPs what to prescribe to patients. Then there was paying doctors $3,000 to give a talk they knew nothing about. That didn’t matter because Blair would give them a script (written by GSK) and accompanying slides and a few clinical trials (written by the marketing department) of the drug company.

This didn’t just happen occasionally. Later in court it was found there were 40,000 (yes 40,000!) doctors who were paid as speakers.

Blair had a personal epiphany in 2001. By then he had become a dad and his son was three. A child psychiatrist Dr Paul H Wender MD from Boston had written a book about ADHD and kids. ADHD: attention deficit hyperactivity disorder in children, adolescents and adults, mentions favourably one of Glaxo’s drugs – wellbutrin. Even though the drug hadnt been licensed for children, Glaxo bought up thousands of copies of the book and started promoting wellbutrin for kids with ADHD.

Blair knew that wellbutrin and is a form of speed and can cause seizures.

In fact, this is stated quite clearly on the package inserts. He started to think: what if his own child was diagnosed with ADHD and was given wellbutrin and died of a seizure? He could no longer with live with himself while doing the job he was doing. He and three colleagues contacted the US Department of Justice.

They carried out an investigation and some of this centres around how the company was promoting seroxat  for kids even though by now various studies in the 1990s and early 2000’s had come out linking it to suicide in children.

Blair no longer had a job with Glaxo and lost everything. He had to move back in with his mum and get a low-paid job as a supply teacher. But the story has a Hollywood ending. A few years ago the US Department of Justice found GSK guilty, fining them $3 billion in the US.

Under the false claims act if you are a whistleblower you get rewarded. And when I say rewarded, I mean not just rewarded a bit, I mean rewarded, a lot. Blair’s reward for being the white knight of truth and justice was a cool $34 million. So sometimes awards go further than you think when you stand up for what is right rather than what is convenient.

P251-254

Some of Lily’s [Lily is Katinka’s teenage daughter] friends have been put on antidepressants. I know, because their parents confide in me. And a recent study has shown that between 2005 and 2012 there has been a 54% increase in kids in the UK taking antidepressants.

P292

Every week I get emails from people with yet more horror stories.

P293

So how is it that we don’t know about these side-effects?

According to Prof Healy, drug companies go to extraordinary lengths to make it difficult to report problems. If you manage to get through to them at all, they encourage you to report the problem to your doctor or the regulators because that way, your report will be dismissed as just an anecdote rather than a formal complaint. P294

I began this film to explain to my kids that it was a drug that took me away from them for a year.

Little did I know that it could provide the key behind another theft, my father’s life, and the theft of many lives around the world. P295

.....................//..................................................

I just cant get over that number 40,000.

40,000 doctors paid as speakers to push seroxat !! that's pure evil. 

nz11

Recovering paxil addict

Lets just say 40,000 doctors did 10 talks each at $3000 per talk.

[10 talks is conservative because C Nemeroff did 50 in just the year 2000 alone...GSK also paid this guy $5,000 each time just to turn up to paxil advisory board meetings.]

Then GSK paid $1.2 billion!! to doctors to do  10 talks each to push paxil. 

Recovering paxil addict

5 hours ago, nz11 said:

Lets just say 40,000 doctors did 10 talks each at $3000 per talk.

[10 talks is conservative because C Nemeroff did 50 in just the year 2000 alone...GSK also paid this guy $5,000 each time just to turn up to paxil advisory board meetings.]

Then GSK paid $1.2 billion!! to doctors to do  10 talks each to push paxil. 

It is appaling.And this makes me so angry that if you say this to state institutions that they should investigate the issue, noone is interested. 

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

Hi Martina I guess they don't invstigate cos that is how business is done ...its all a business expense...and tax deductible.

Recovering paxil addict

Jut wanted to share one more thing okay two more things I learnt from Katinka's book

Recall that bus driver story Geert Michiels who drove a coach into a wall killing 28 people of which 22 were children in Switzerland on 13 March  2012. 

Well Katinka interviewed one of the mothers who lost a child in that event Olga Leclercq. 

Get this ...all the parents of the children involved in the  Geert Michiels bus tragedy were offered help...they were offered antidepressants

Its amazing how pharma can carry out a 'double tap' by stealth.  

"[Olga]  and all the grieving parents were offered antidepressants and she said no." p311

Michiels at the time of the accident was trying to get off seroxat/paxil he had recently cut his dosage in half and on the day of the accident had not taken his dose at all. 

That man would have been in withdrawal alright ..akathisic trauma

And heres another story, I had never heard of this one........the Sylvia Plath story.

She was taking an antidepressant in America it made her suicidal so she stopped it and knew she must never take that drug again. But when she went back to England she was given the same drug but under a different name. I can totally relate to this. A week later she gassed herself in the kitchen oven (1963). Then her son Nicholas Hughes would years later hang himself in his home in Alaska in March 2009. Katinka asks could it be that Nicholas too was taking an antidepressant? 

nz11

" I haven't met anyone who has been warned of any of these side effects by their prescribing doctor. Since I came to suspect my dads suicide was linked to medication, I have come across a number of people who have told me how now they realise suicides in the family through generations may well be linked to adverse drug reactions rather than depression." 

p309 Katinka Newman, 'The Pill that Steals Lives.'

Recovering paxil addict

Interesting that Katinka got better by cold turkeying.

Current daily meds. Citalopram 2.5mg morning. Diazapam 1.5mg evening, Propanalol 40mg split 4x10mg throughout day.

Recent meds. Fluoxetine 20mg began 24th Nov 2017, CT on 4th December on medical advice due to bad Akathisia. Citalopram 10mg began on 13th Dec 2017, tapered to 2.5mg by 20th Dec 2017 on medical advice. Diazapam 2mg began on 6th Dec 2017 cut to 1.5 mg on 26th Dec. Propanalol 40mg began on 13th Dec. Zopiclone 3.75 mg began 13th December, used maybe 5 times then quit.

Previous history. Tricyclics, Fluoxetine or Citalopram for periods of 6mo to 2yrs over last 25 years. Probably 5 yrs in total. No significant ill effects.

• Moderator Emeritus
6 hours ago, nz11 said:

And heres another story, I had never heard of this one........the Sylvia Plath story.

She was taking an antidepressant in America it made her suicidal so she stopped it and knew she must never take that drug again. But when she went back to England she was given the same drug but under a different name. I can totally relate to this. A week later she gassed herself in the kitchen oven (1963). Then her son Nicholas Hughes would years later hang himself in his home in Alaska in March 2009. Katinka asks could it be that Nicholas too was taking an antidepressant? 

I remembering reading about Sylvia Plath over on SSRI Stories:

SSRI Stories - Sylvia Plath: Maybe it was just the drugs

Thanks for writing about Katinka's book, NZ. I'm even more interested in reading it now. Sounds like she did some really thorough research and expanded her story into a much broader take on the situation. Memoirs are good to read, but I really like the books that expand into other people's lives and into the greater historical narrative to give you a more thorough understanding. Sounds like this would be such a book. 

9 hours ago, kesh said:

Interesting that Katinka got better by cold turkeying.

yes well she was just following the doctors at the hospital's guidance as they say never stop taking your medicines abruptly always follow the guidance advice and expertise of your doctor. 

And what happened next ....well I don't even need to look up that page number its firmly fixed in my mind....its page 92..its one of those page numbers I wont forget.

"They take me off all drugs. Not just one the whole lot-all five. I start shaking. I'm now lying on the floor, writhing in agony; I cant sleep , eat .think, anything. I start scratching myself uncontrollably. I've no idea what's happening to me. I start hallucinating and I'm finding it hard to stand up. I cant sleep; I'm in pools of sweat. In the middle of the night I ring my older brother David. I'm screaming in agony. He tries to calm me down but neither he nor I understand that now my mind and body are going through indescribable agony from going cold turkey"

Actually now I come to think of it Katinka never did a drug signature ...well it was in bits and pieces.

I'll tell you what i'll go back through the book and see if I can put together  her drug signature. Give me a few days. Then I will post it here.

It would be an interesting thing to see wouldn't it. 

Kesh i'll go back and have another look at it she may have only been on for a short time one or two weeks. Her recovery back to normal was fast.

Recovering paxil addict

5 hours ago, Shep said:

Thanks for writing about Katinka's book, NZ. I'm even more interested in reading it now. Sounds like she did some really thorough research and expanded her story

You're welcome Shep.

Yeah I cant get over how she found the time to write this book with all the stuff going on in her life. And she got up to speed on the research side real fast from what it appears.

She must have done some late nights. I think she might have been driven though by a deep sense of injustice and anger at her uninformed plight and passion to get her story out. Good for her. 

nz11

"Later I discover that the insurance will generally cover you for up to four weeks at a stretch, and it was exactly at that point that the doctors pronounced in their very professional opinion I was ready to go home. But I didn't know that then and I was hopeful at the very least id be allowed home by the end of the following week." p63 

Recovering paxil addict

DRUG SIGNATURE for Katinka Newman (author of 'The Pill that Steals Lives, 2016).

Note: This has been pieced together as best as I can from the book. Where there are no dosages its because none where given.

1st Sept. 2012:

Saw a psychotherapist who recommended see a psychiatrist.

Thu, 20th Sept. 2012

Saw the psychiatrist; given Lexapro, Remeron, and zopiclone

Experiences adverse effects.

Sun, 23 Sept. 12,

Believes she has a suicide pact with God, lacerates her arm with a knife, taken to hospital and sedated

refuses to take the Lexapro and Remeron telling the doctors it’s all due to the drugs. The doctors are having none of it. 

Told she has to take the pills. However the doctor prescribes some other pills and some sleeping tablets being

Mirtazapine risperidone and zopiclone.

Sun, 30 Sept 12,

While still in the hospital diagnosed with psychotic depression

Tues 2 Oct 12,

switched from risperidone to Aripiprazole(abilify)

7 Oct 12,

Ill again, given valium

12 Oct 12,

Refuses to take pills, told she must, discharged from hospital at this time was taking 2 drugs.

Over the next year more added until she was on five drugs including antipsychotics and mood stabilisers.

Nov 12:

Prescribed, sertraline 50mg, Valium, aripiprazole increased to 20mg,  

complained of restlessness so aripiprazole switched to olanzapine 20mg

Dec12 : She talks of suicide, binge eating (caused by olanzapine) dribbling, pacing, health deteriorating.

March 13:

Due to declining state of health doctors at the private hospital increase the Zoloft to 200mg,

Starts smoking for the first time in 20 years. Smoking 70 cigarettes a day.

May 13:

Books herself back into hospital 

Prescribed  1000 mg of lithium, 25 mg lamotrigine morning and 50mg at night, 20 mg Prozac, Seroquel, 7.5mg zopiclone. 10mg olanzapine

24-40 mg promethazine at night and 50mg thiamine 

Doctors suggest she might be bipolar

June 13:

After six weeks leaves hospital in a worse state.

Adds  vodka and herbal sleeping tablets to the mix

Sept 13:

Daily akathisia continues, shaking and wandering around like a demented animal. Checks herself back into hospital.

Doctor  notices side of mouth drooping like a stroke victim [she remembers the same thing happened to her dad].

Doctor  says depression is now so bad it’s drug resistant.

Doctors covertly suggest ECT is next in her file notes.

After one night on suicide watch (thinking about jumping under a train) she has to leave the hospital (insurance has run out).

22 Sept 13 

While home treatment team visiting daily to make sure she takes her pills, she asks them to take her to the hospital.

Interviewed by psychiatrist says ‘I want to kill myself’ (then regrets saying that)

They section her.

They cold turkey her of all drugs.

Psychological and emotional hell see page 92 where she describes this...

"They take me off all drugs. Not just one the whole lot-all five. I start shaking. I'm now lying on the floor, writhing in agony; I cant sleep , eat .think, anything. I start scratching myself uncontrollably. I've no idea what's happening to me. I start hallucinating and I'm finding it hard to stand up. I cant sleep; I'm in pools of sweat. In the middle of the night I ring my older brother David. I'm screaming in agony. He tries to calm me down but neither he nor I understand that now my mind and body are going through indescribable agony from going cold turkey. Later I learnt that coming off one of these drugs is supposed to be as bad as withdrawing from heroin - and I was coming off five. Please ring the nurse. Tell her to give me something, a valium an antianxiety drug, anything!…...They can’t give me any more medication until the morning. There’s nothing they can do." 

Next morning (I'm assuming here ...no start date mentioned) given venlafaxine and clonazepam. 

3 weeks later: Let out of hospital for family wedding suffering akathisia and crying spells "all day".

4 weeks later…on 19 Oct 13

She is better.

"The mystery illness that had lasted an entire year, that had me homicidal, suicidal, that had flummoxed doctors, therapists, carers, health workers; that had me unwashed, unaddressed, smoking, drinking, shaking, dribbling, unable to leave the house; that had separated me from my friends; family, and most importantly, my children, it had gone. Disappeared. Vanished completely." p93

"For the first time I begin to understand what has happened to me: it wasn’t me going nuts, the drugs had caused it. And I soon learn it’s happened to people all around the world."

2 Nov 13

Released from the hospital

Told she had to take venlafaxine for one year.

She threw the drugs out vowing to never take another psychiatric drug again.

Quit smoking totally.

4 Sept 2015

Decides to make a film about ‘the year my life was stolen’.

As Katinka reflects back on this journey she suddenly realises that she has had prior exposure to psychiatric drugs.

It was back in April 1996  while making a documentary overseas about woman having facelifts and witnessing some of the operations she found that she couldn’t sleep at night.  A girl she interviewed noticed she looked a bit fazzled and so put her onto her Polish doctor boyfriend who gave her some blue pills that could calm her down. And for sleep he had something for that too.

On the return back to England from this overseas filming she goes to the doctor complaining of stress. The doctor gives some more of the same blue tablets the Polish doctor had given her and some sleeping pills. All this makes her worse. She was taken to hospital and in front of a doctor manifested hysterical sobs. They sedated me and gave me more blue pills. She was also prescribed seroxat.

Four months later she chucked the pills away.

......................//............

Cant help but wonder if only she hadn't seen that psychotherapist or allowed that Polish girl to get her to talk to her boyfriend.

Recovering paxil addict

Akathisia went away! Exactly what I need to hear right now as I am in a bad wave.

Current daily meds. Citalopram 2.5mg morning. Diazapam 1.5mg evening, Propanalol 40mg split 4x10mg throughout day.

Recent meds. Fluoxetine 20mg began 24th Nov 2017, CT on 4th December on medical advice due to bad Akathisia. Citalopram 10mg began on 13th Dec 2017, tapered to 2.5mg by 20th Dec 2017 on medical advice. Diazapam 2mg began on 6th Dec 2017 cut to 1.5 mg on 26th Dec. Propanalol 40mg began on 13th Dec. Zopiclone 3.75 mg began 13th December, used maybe 5 times then quit.

Previous history. Tricyclics, Fluoxetine or Citalopram for periods of 6mo to 2yrs over last 25 years. Probably 5 yrs in total. No significant ill effects.

Great book ~ illuminating and informative ~ a must read!

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014