☼ nz11 climbs onboard

nz11

Kesh -Yes I found akathisia does recede with time.

I have to say I'm having a lot of trouble understanding how  in 1996 she CT paxil after 4 months use and was apparently fine. But even more trouble understanding how she  CT 200mg of Zoloft plus others after one year in 2013 and after just one month was better. Heck if someone joined SA having done that I would have guessed they would be very very sick for a very very long time. But it appears after just one month she was fine.  

AliG -, yes it is an informative read she has woven all the relevant facts and research into her story. She did a great job. I think this may be a good book for  friends,  family or even doctors!

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Spread the word about this newly launched Public Health England investigation through your networks. Here are a few articles that you can share:

nz11

Got a feeling we are in a standby for 'lift-off' .

Surely this time we are going to get off the ground. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

1 hour ago, nz11 said:

Spread the word about this newly launched Public Health England investigation through your networks. Here are a few articles that you can share:

nz11

Got a feeling we are in a standby for 'lift-off' .

Surely this time we are going to get off the ground. 

I am also so happy, nz.

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

Wanted to save this here....taken from the journal section.

Just now, nz11 said:
47 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Similarly, paroxetine induces persistent postwithdrawal disorders at a high prevalence and severity compared to other SSRIs [41]. If paroxetine had not been introduced into clinical practice, persistent SSRI withdrawal disorders may not have been found [41].

ref 41 is:

Chouinard G, Chouinard VA: New classification of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor withdrawal. Psychother Psychosom 2015;84:63-71.

External Resources

6 doctors and not one of them said withdrawal symptoms/disorders, or persistant postwithdrawal disorders. It was all me. 

Recovering paxil addict

• Administrator

Chouinard wrote a central paper on prolonged discontinuation syndrome.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks Alto

yes that name rings a bell maybe i have read that one in journals sometime prior. 

Got so many print outs they all went into files and now my files are filling boxes.

Recovering paxil addict

Found it ...its going here too

Maybe i overlooked this one. 

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2011 at 8:25 AM, Altostrata said:

A documented case of prolonged withdrawal syndrome.

Can J Clin Pharmacol. 2006 Winter;13(1):e69-74. Epub 2006 Jan 23.

Persistent tardive rebound panic disorder, rebound anxiety and insomnia following paroxetine withdrawal: a review of rebound-withdrawal phenomena.

Bhanji NH, Chouinard G, Kolivakis T, Margolese HC.

Source

Clinical Psychopharmacology Unit, Allan Memorial Institute, McGill University Health Centre, Montreal, QC.

Abstract and full text at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16456219 Full text here.

OBJECTIVE:

To describe tardive rebound anxiety phenomena (panic, anxiety and insomnia) following abrupt paroxetine discontinuation.

METHOD:

Case report, with comprehensive literature review on rebound and withdrawal phenomena associated with psychotropic medications.

RESULTS:

Three different discontinuation syndromes with psychotropics are described: (1) new-onset CNS-depressant type withdrawal symptoms (minor and major); (2) rebound syndromes; and (3) supersensitivity symptoms. Abrupt paroxetine discontinuation has been well described and fits the first category. Tardive rebound panic disorder-phenomena with paroxetine has some features of the supersensitivity category.

CONCLUSION:

Chronic paroxetine treatment may lead to 5-HT2-receptor down regulation, with desensitization of 5-HT1A and 5-HT2 receptors, which may contribute to tardive rebound symptoms upon abrupt withdrawal. Early reports suggest that genetic factors may also contribute to withdrawal symptoms in susceptible individuals. Cholinergic rebound may also occur and could explain tardive insomnia and anxiety in paroxetine withdrawal.

'Early reports suggest that genetic factors may also contribute to withdrawal symptoms in susceptible individuals'

I cant help but feel this sentence is unfortunate. Where did the early reports come from ...pharma?

Its these kind of sentences that spoil the whole article because a doctor will hone in here and say oh you have a genetic underlying...whatever. ITs you ..you are the problem. sigh.

nz11

Recovering paxil addict

• Administrator

There's some code tangle there at the end, but I can just about make out your remarks.

Cholinergic rebound was a theory of withdrawal syndrome from tricyclic antidepressants, which were anti-cholinergic. Paroxetine is the only SSRI that is substantially anti-cholinergic. (See Dilsaver.)

Genetics underlays everything (and explains little). It's been a buzzword in all of medicine for going on 30 years now. You can't fault the good doctor for iterating the boilerplate (but so far unfruitful avenue of inquiry in psychiatry). Yes, it's genetic. So what?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Would you give a fish who thought he needed a bicycle cocaine?

Hi nz11 I came across this line you used on a thread  and I had to come over and say I loved it ,so whacky:).

Ile be using it some day myself .

Peace .

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

50 minutes ago, powerback said:

Would you give a fish who thought he needed a bicycle cocaine?

Hi nz11 I came across this line you used on a thread  and I had to come over and say I loved it ,so whacky:).

Ile be using it some day myself .

Peace .

:)

a lot of fish on the  leader board recently.

Recovering paxil addict

Taken from the organisers of the petition on withdrawal and dependance to the Scottish parliament.

I wanted to let you know that our Scottish petition seems to be gathering a very remarkable and powerful collection of published ‘evidence’ of patient experiences especially – and from all over the world. Marion Brown.

Healy submission:

Dear Colleagues

Ten per cent of the population of Scotland takes an antidepressant on prescription.  Of those between 80 and 90% are on treatment for more than a year – many for over a decade. When the latest antidepressants were introduced around 1990 the recommendation was that they would be used for 3-6 months. Apologists for the drugs say treatment for over a year is a good thing.  Its not.  Its caused by dependence and it continues because so many people attempting to stop feel so bad they continue with treatment.

The marketing of these drugs targeted women of child-bearing years, although companies knew from the start the drugs were likely to lead to dependence and to birth defects, from major organ defects to behaviour abnormalities such as autistic spectrum disorder.

While treatments can be helpful, the evidence for true benefits when used in general practice is missing.  The drugs are now the most commonly used medications by women in their teens and early twenties, the child-bearing years, and in these age groups there is no evidence for benefit. Because of the dependence the drugs cause, many young women are trapped into pregnancies in which their unborn babies are exposed to a teratogen because stopping is so difficult.  There is no benefit to the woman for the most part or her child in any instance.

For all too many, women in particular, antidepressants turn out to be a gateway drug, into treatment with mood-stabilizers and other drugs or for antidepressant induced alcoholism or antidepressant induced osteoporosis or other conditions.

There is a pressing need to understand antidepressant dependence – how to avoid it and how best to manage it.

At present rates of antidepressant use among adolescents in Scotland, especially among women, is rocketing.  These drugs are or are on their way to being the most commonly used prescription drugs by Scottish adolescents.  There is no evidence of efficacy to support this use and compelling evidence for harms, especially self-harm.

Linked into the above, there is a further factor to bear in mind which is that pretty well the entire literature on these drugs is ghost-written, with the brief of the ghost-writers being to produce good marketing copy.  There is no access to any of the data behind studies that may have been undertaken on these drugs, some of which have been conducted in Scotland.  The MHRA have not seen the raw data and the Scottish Parliament cannot get access to the data behind these studies should Parliament request it.  You should judge any comments of doctors or others apparently supporting the use of antidepressants against this background.

Recovering paxil addict

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Thanks Brass

That page you chose to give me is about ssris causing vaginal bleeding.

If i may be so bold to ask a silly question.....what part of that caused you to immediately think of me! lol 

I know that you know that i know i have been guilty of confusing peoples genders in the past..lol.

Recovering paxil addict

33 minutes ago, nz11 said:

Thanks Brass

That page you chose to give me is about ssris causing vaginal bleeding.

If i may be so bold to ask a silly question.....what part of that caused you to immediately think of me! lol 

I know that you know that i know i have been guilty of confusing peoples genders in the past..lol.

Nz, I started to laugh so much when I read your comment :-)

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

1 minute ago, Martina23 said:

Nz, I started to laugh so much when I read your comment :-)

:D ,Me too martina .

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

OOOPPS!!!  I didn't see that part, and I'm actually at a loss for a smart a** cum back. I was looking at page 13. There was a whole lot of information about drug interactions and how they can continue for many weeks after quitting the drug.  Plus there seemed to be a lot of good information in general. I think I'll go crawl under my rock for a bit.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

lol

I figured it must have been the word 'bleeding' cos i have had bleeding nose issues since being drug free

4 hours ago, brassmonkey said:

There was a whole lot of information about drug interactions and how they can continue for many weeks after quitting the drug.  Plus there seemed to be a lot of good information in general

I'll go back and have a further read. That drug- drug interactions sounds interesting.

Recovering paxil addict

Nz, I really like how you try to get the most signatures  possible (I mean for Scottish parliament). Much respect. 

symptoms OCD

40 minutes ago, Martina23 said:

Nz, I really like how you try to get the most signatures  possible (I mean for Scottish parliament). Much respect. 

oh shucks, thanks Martina.

I feel some false humility coming on.

Great going on being drug free. Keep banking those drug free days.

all the best

Recovering paxil addict

NZ,

Hi.  Do you know why "the Scottish Parliment cannot get access to the data behind these studies should Parliment request it."

What is preventing their access, do you know?

(I wish I felt well enough to write my story.  It's hard for me to relive it right now, but I'm glad you are making this known.  Thank you.)

Rosetta

On January 29, 2018 at 1:16 PM, nz11 said:

Linked into the above, there is a further factor to bear in mind which is that pretty well the entire literature on these drugs is ghost-written, with the brief of the ghost-writers being to produce good marketing copy.  There is no access to any of the data behind studies that may have been undertaken on these drugs, some of which have been conducted in Scotland.  The MHRA have not seen the raw data and the Scottish Parliament cannot get access to the data behind these studies should Parliament request it.  You should judge any comments of doctors or others apparently supporting the use of antidepressants against this background.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

2001-2011 Celexa 10 mg raised to 40 mg then 60 mg over this time period

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2012-2016 - Doctors raised dose of Zoloft up to 150 mg

2016 - Xanax prescribed - as needed - 0.5 mg about every 3 days (bad reaction)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Late 2016- Began (too fast) taper of Zoloft

Early 2017 - Trazodone prescribed for bedtime (doseage unknown)

Feb 2017 - Completed taper/stopped Trazodone

Drug free since Feb 2017

2017 - Unisom otc very rarely for sleep

Morning Rosetta.

No problem if you don't feel up to it. Don't worry its okay. They are getting a good submission dump already. Vanora is the one to thank not me ...I'm just the evangelistic messenger.

5 minutes ago, Rosetta said:

Do you know why "the Scottish Parliment cannot get access to the data behind these studies should Parliment request it."

What is preventing their access, do you know?

Pharma refuse to produce it. Its as simple as that.

I'm not clued up on all the legalities and ins and outs of the process. But they hide behind ridiculous reasons like patient confidentiality blahblah blah excuses.

Even when they are told to produce it via litigation they frustrate the process so much it takes years and years to see it refer study 329 revised. GSKs behavior clearly backed up what had been written about them 'they have a pathological lack of integrity.'

Recovering paxil addict

As simple as that, of course!  Not surprising.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

2001-2011 Celexa 10 mg raised to 40 mg then 60 mg over this time period

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2012-2016 - Doctors raised dose of Zoloft up to 150 mg

2016 - Xanax prescribed - as needed - 0.5 mg about every 3 days (bad reaction)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Late 2016- Began (too fast) taper of Zoloft

Early 2017 - Trazodone prescribed for bedtime (doseage unknown)

Feb 2017 - Completed taper/stopped Trazodone

Drug free since Feb 2017

2017 - Unisom otc very rarely for sleep

• 4 months later...

Hi nz11-- your PM box is bouncing things back as undeliverable.  You haven't been around for a while so I wanted to check up and make sure things were okay and that your recovery was going well.  When you get a chance please let us know how things are, people are starting to worry.

Brass

• 3 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi nz11,

Yes, checking up as well.  It has been awhile.  .......and I was just reading some of your postings elsewhere on the site.

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• 2 months later...

Wondering myself lately how things have been .

hope life is treating you ok nz11.

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi nz11,

Thanks for dropping by and leaving a message.  I miss your crazy humour and hope you are doing okay.  A big wave and a hellooooo across the Tasman Sea.  Wishing you all the best.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

On 1/28/2018 at 2:44 AM, nz11 said:

Found it ...its going here too

Maybe i overlooked this one. 

'Early reports suggest that genetic factors may also contribute to withdrawal symptoms in susceptible individuals'

I cant help but feel this sentence is unfortunate. Where did the early reports come from ...pharma?

Its these kind of sentences that spoil the whole article because a doctor will hone in here and say oh you have a genetic underlying...whatever. ITs you ..you are the problem. sigh.

nz11

by RM Nevels - ‎2016 - ‎Cited by 14 - ‎Related articles

Additionally, paroxetine is efficacious in the treatment of generalized anxiety, panic ..... that they didnot account for individual genetic variations in the 2D6 isoenzyme. ... Paroxetine and pravastatin donot have this effect when taken independently. ... their discoveries are made only after the drugs areon the market.,

I have a defect in this gene... have done 23 and me and ran it thru a site called prothesium can't ever recall the right name for that site.. they tell you about drugs you should not take based on your genetic results... and stated to not take any antidepressants ... except one.. 

After 18 years of taking antidepressants... and never taking the only AD they say could work for me... my withdrawal has been devastating. 

more here if you want to look at genetics 

Oct 16, 2018 - Newsletter Sign Up .... Antidepressant withdrawal effects 'severe' for more than half of patients, study says ... Read full, original post: Antidepressant Withdrawal Said to Affect “Millions” ... Do the MAOA and CDH13 'human warrior gene.. 

I have spent a lot of time and energy trying to figure out how to work with my own personal genetics in a way that could help me recover it is a long hard road but I keep trying.  A lot of what I have learned I forget as that is how my brain works these days.  It could be just too much too long and too tires.. to overcome and I know before you say it that there are "other factors" in my case car accidents stress... ya I know.  Still if genetic testing could stop some people from taking a drug that could completely destroy their lives .... I say we do the testing before we give the drug.  Full stop. 
peace all

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

I so miss you NZ and I hope you come back. Send me a pm with another way to contact you and I will... B

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I want to pass on my appreciation for how you stirred members into action to make a submission to the Scottish Parliament.  Thank you nz11.  I think your encouragement gave some of us, possibly many, the needed oomph to get our stories written and sent to them.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• 8 months later...
On 12/20/2014 at 9:49 AM, nz11 said:

Hey I did manage to upload a recovery story found by bilo which I pdf-d

now need to get the success stories up...

A Recovery story discovered by Bilo.pdf 319.93 kB · 439 downloads

@Gemma92

1999:  Paroxetine (20mg). Age 16. 2007-2008: Fluoxetine (Prozac) for 1.5 years (age 25) Citalopram 20mg 2002-2005, 2009: Escitalopram (20mg), 2 weeks, (age 26) (adverse  reaction)/*Valium 5mg/Temazepam 10mg 2010: Mirtazipine (Remeron)( do not remember dosage) 2010, 5 months.                     2010-2017: Citalopram (20mg) (age 27 to 34) 2016: i.1st Sept- 31st Oct Citalopram 10mg , ii.1st November 2017-30th November 2017, Citalopram 5mg iii.1st December 2017- 4th February 2018, Citalopram 0mg, iv.5th February 2018- March 2018 Citalopram 5mg (10mg every other day) 28th February- tried titration of 5mg ( some adverse effects)

2018: 1st March 2018- 1st June Citalopram 10 mg (tablet form) /started titration 8mg , then 7 mg.2018: June 15th- 10th July Citalopram 10 mg pill every other day 2018: 10th July - 13th Sept Citalopram- 0mg  (CBD oil first month of 0mg, passiflora on and off) 2018 13th Sept Citalopram  2mg ,  approx 16th Sept 4mg , approx 25th Sept 6mg held.  2019: 11 Feb 19: 7mg (instant bad rxn) 12 Feb 19 6mg held 1 May 19 5.4mg held 5 Oct 19 5.36mg 22 Oct 19 5.29mg 30 Oct 19 5.23mg 4/NOV/19 5.18mg 12 Nov 19 5.08mg 20 Nov 19 4.77mg 7 May 22 2.31mg 17/09/2023 0.8mg

(Herbal/Supplements since 1st September: Omega Fish Oil 1200mg, 663mg of EPA- 2 tablets a day, magnesium and magnesium bath salts)

I did not die, and yet I lost life’s breath
- Dante
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 9/28/2016 at 6:58 AM, nz11 said:

i got real bad sea sickness

Hi @nz11, how are you? I am 3 yrs off Paxil after 10 yrs on. I work at sea (now off due to the pandemics) but may soon be back to sea, hopefully. Do you go frequently to the sea? I am afraid that sea sickness will be a major problem after withdrawal, as my balance is still compromised. Are you already able to hand at least some calm seas? Thanks and congratulations on your journey. 

Daily Fluoxetine and sparse benzo use from 2000-2001 - stop CT

Sparse benzo use 2005-2006

Started daily Paroxetine (10 mg) and Xanax (1 mg) in 2010

Quit Paroxetine CT in October 2018 while still on Xanax

Started to taper benzos after switching from Xanax to Valium in March 2019

Finished Valium taper in October 2020 (19 months taper in total)

Currently free from all psych drugs

Supplements: Magnesium glycinate (50-100 mg once or twice daily), CBD:TCH (1:1; 2-5 mg 3-4 times a day), L-Theanine (100 mg, only when feeling really anxious), Probiotics (Culturelle, daily), Methylfolate + Methyl B12 (Jarrow's)

• 4 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

2 hours ago, nz11 said:

Hi Chessie,

So amazing you have broken free and gone to ZERO!

Wow! Sending a huge congratulations and hugs from across the ditch to you.

You have done a Brassmonkey for sure. There are now 2 people to choose from for the  poster taper-er  for safe tapering. 

Well done on making it to the other side.

Wishing you all the best for the drug free years to come.

Best wishes.

nz11

p.s. dont worry , no my account has not been hacked! hehehe 

Hi nz11 (I'm posting this here hoping you will see it)

You made the 😹 - happy tears for sure.

Thank you so much for dropping in and posting the above.  It means a huge amount to me, not just what you have said but that you dropped in to do so.  You were the first person to respond when I first posted on SA.  Thankfully once "we" got the train back on the track the taper ride was fairly smooth but longer than anticipated but I arrived at my destination safely which was the goal.

From one cat to another I wish you all the best too. 😻  Take care.

@nz11hey I am new and I am  curious how you feel ?

ProzacNovember 2019: 10MG start

January 2021: up to 60MG 

march 2021: Valium everyday 2MG twice a day for a month or after that take as needed 

April 2021-May: taper to 0MG

June 2021: Zoloft 7 days and ween off. 
August 2021: escitalopram 5MG-10MG

August 2021: Propanol 10MG-20MG as needed 

September 2021: weened off escitalopram over a week.

October 30th: Citalopram 20MG 

November 10th: stopped - 10MG 2 days. 
November 14th: Prozac 20MG

November 18th: stop C/T 

• Moderator Emeritus

An SA staff member heard from nz11 about 3 years ago (late 2018/early 2019) and was told that he is doing well and has resumed some of the sports activities that he enjoys.

• 1 month later...
On 9/28/2016 at 6:58 AM, nz11 said:

28 Sept 2016 – 6 yrs drug free today

I can still remember when babs was doing a 6 year update and I was about 6 months drug free I was so envious and I just couldn’t imagine making it to 6 years but here I am, I did it.

My celebration of 6 yrs drug free was a deep sea fishing trip and i got real bad sea sickness  6 hours into a 12 hour trip ...oh boy i thought i was going to die. However i reminded myself that this trip will end after 6 hours and NOT 6 years like ssri wdl. Glad to be back on land again and its the end of yearly drug free celebrations. 

This quote from Breggin continues to be my all-time favourite quote for yet another year and never so true as it has been in this past year.

“After withdrawal from medication has been partially or fully completed, previously medication spellbound individuals often realize for the first time that they were significantly impaired in that they are now recovering and returning to themselves.” Breggin 2013.

And here is a delightful one I stumbled upon this year:

“It was extremely obvious I was suffering ssri withdrawal.” Alto

And the best of all

“Psychiatry is stuffed full of “deep nonsense”, better known as bullsh*t.” McLaren 2016

The Good

I feel as if I’ve had the best improvements in yr 6. That’s not to say I didn’t have some prior to this but so far yr 6 has been the best.

Why do I say this?

1. I quit all voluntary efforts and started to play sport again albeit at a very  humble and humiliating level. I’m outraged that withdrawal rendered me so disabled I couldn’t play sport for 6 years. A sport that I had played passionately on a weekly basis or more for the previous 35 years.  I joined a club where no one knew me...  Anyway after five months someone quietly said to me, ‘nz11 you have improved so much since you joined we are all surprised’ , Gee if only they knew.
  1. Levels of disabling disorientating crippling brain fog continue to improve to new receded levels.
  2. Anyone notice I haven’t been posting that much lately… It’s because I’ve started to work part-time. And starting next month I will be full-time casual until Christmas. Not sure I have the strength to manage this new challenge  but as always I’m up for it. After many years of unemployment I am very thankful for this opportunity. Although I still feel chronic fatigued and weak I am stronger than a year ago.
  3. I’m reluctant to share this one as I know improvements can be easily lost within a few days however I thought it would never happen but I have lost nearly 10 kg this year I would like to lose another five. Many talk about losing wgt when they went drug free but i never did. This has been a very pleasant surprise. Im hoping i dont find it again.
  4. Iatrogenic stress intolerance continues to improve. Although I still feel my emotional response mechanism is compromised at times.

The Bad

1. Flatulence, loose bowels and leaking urine when urinating (sorry TMI ) continues.
  2. Still can’t sleep with any regularity and continue to wake between 2 to 4:30 am every day. With 3 -4am being very common wake up times. Yesterday I woke at 4.52 and thought great an improvement then I realised just three days prior we put our clocks forward one hour for spring.
  3. Still feel apathetic about life and anhedonic and very aware of feelings and passions and desires that I should have but I don’t. Hoping they might improve in yr 7....
  4. I’ve run out of targets to send complaint letters to. Just when I was improving in my letter writing skills oh well maybe this is a good thing after all.

The Ugly

Starts with P and ends in D.

Its as worse today as it has ever been. There has been no improvement whatsoever. In fact just this week I was thinking if  someone were to Chris Jenner me  I’d wake up  and notice very little difference. I’ve accepted that this as permanent damage. Perhaps resigned is a better word than accepted.(Please dont lecture me on a pessimistic attitude blah blah blah blah, ive been more than patient).

Improvements have always begun with a thought, Oh I think I will get up off the floor and go for a walk now, oh I think I will ride my bike again now, oh I think I will join the sports club now. Oh I think I would like to start working again. These thoughts have come as I stated once before not because I must, or I may, or I should but rather simply because I can.

oh yeah im into smoothies now too bought an online secondhand blender and i'm away.

That’s about it from me if you don’t hear much from me over the coming months …it’s because I will be busy  …. kick starting my re-entry into the rat race.

As always thank you to Alto for this site i'm very appreciative and thankful for it.

The moderators also continue to be an inspiration and boy that scallywag sure can do some impressive postings. My withdrawal OCD in posting seems to be receding and i think thats a good thing too.

How anyone can survive ssri wdl without such a community of hope as this is hard to imagine.

So if you think you will never improve don’t give up hope, hang in there, be patient and wait for the year 6 and you might be surprised!

In the meantime keep pushing the envelope but do it gently.

nz11

Unemployment is not working!

I'm off to find my dictionary ...id like to know what this 

Daily Fluoxetine and sparse benzo use from 2000-2001 - stop CT

Sparse benzo use 2005-2006

Started daily Paroxetine (10 mg) and Xanax (1 mg) in 2010

Quit Paroxetine CT in October 2018 while still on Xanax

Started to taper benzos after switching from Xanax to Valium in March 2019

Finished Valium taper in October 2020 (19 months taper in total)

Currently free from all psych drugs

Supplements: Magnesium glycinate (50-100 mg once or twice daily), CBD:TCH (1:1; 2-5 mg 3-4 times a day), L-Theanine (100 mg, only when feeling really anxious), Probiotics (Culturelle, daily), Methylfolate + Methyl B12 (Jarrow's)