☼ nz11 climbs onboard

nz11

• Administrator

I just hate it when this happens i knew i forgot to add something to my:

Recovery Time-frames post #101....further info

This was given to me by a member in another site in March 2013.

Light – 17 years on various drugs – last six years of them polydrugged – 10 years off now 70% recovered.

Musicman – 12 years on paxil, also on steroids for 11 years. 10 years off still bad, but akathisia resolved and other problems getting better finally.

Healing – 12 years on antidepressants – 9 years off slowly getting better, mostly recovered.

Squirrel – 8 years on – 9 years off, mostly recovered, still has very mild DR/DP slight dizziness from time to time, anxiety and sinus problems. Nothing major.

Tryingtogetwell –8 years off, recovered at 7 years off

Alto – 10 years off – recovered, has minor sleep issues.

Pity we cant do retrospective additions to posts but such is the way it is and probably should be.

That's why we encourage people to write success stories -- a retrospective look at healing.

I added our cheerful "here comes the sun" symbol

to the title of your Intro topic.

I hope you will add your story to our Recovery Success Stories eventually!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Small update ..

Computer is still at the repair shop ..nearly 2 weeks now.

Took it in and said my computers got a very damaged 'p' ness, what are you talking about they said ...i said the letter p the letter p its not working. Oh they said ..didnt tell them its not the only one damaged in this way.

Any way the hard drive was on the blink as well so thats getting replaced too.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Thanks for the kind words and the welcome . Glad you are enjoying the research.

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

I added our cheerful "here comes the sun" symbol

to the title of your Intro topic.

I hope you will add your story to our Recovery Success Stories eventually!

Thanks for the sun symbol. Some parts of me are not seeing the sun as yet and i am not holding my breath. 

Its a real privilege to have the Alto pop in and comment in my post...thanks again. 

My hope is that one day i can post a success story...thats the one dream of my life actually.  

Recovering paxil addict

• 2 weeks later...

Just realized i had a moment of forgetfulness above and forgot how to edit a post .

Anyway this week has not been so good. Since getting off paxil i have at times experienced dizzy spells its like i feel i am about to black out i usually steady myself by holding onto a chair or leaning against the wall and it passes so i then carry on .This week for the first time i did black out and fell i hit a drawer as i fell and got a deep cut above my eyebrow ...family said i should go to doc for sticthes but i refused and just plastered it with stiiches plasters.

i now have a massive black eye. 

Anyway does this dizziness type moments recede with time ....i mean does the body fix this obvious paxil induced damage with time say 5-10  yrs or is this permanent damage like other stuff i am left with???

From now on i will sit down immediately when experiencing this dizzy black out type of thing.

Also would a mod be so kind as to delete the above messy posts because i forgot how to edit a post ...

Recovering paxil addict

nz11 I have no answers, but I am so sorry you fell.  I hope you heal nicely.  Were there any other events going on such as illness or extreme heat?  Again, friend hope you are ok.  Take care.

zoloft 2004-08 tapered too fast(2 weeks)
Luvox 5/08 100 mg 07/10 40mg via small reductions, 08/10 39mg, 09/10 38mg, 10/10 37mg, 11/10 36mg,2/11 35mg, 5/11 34mg, 8/11 33mg, 11/11 32mg, 01/12 31mg, 03/12 30mg, 4/12 29mg, 5/12 28 mg, 8/12 27 mg, 11/12 26 mg, 1/13 25 mg, 3/13 24 mg, 4/13 23 mg,6/13 22 mg, 7/13 21 mg, 8/13 20mg, 10/13 19 mg, 11/13 18 mg, 12/13 17 mg, 1/14 16 mg, 3/14 13 mg, 9/14 10.9 mg,  1/15 10 mg, 3/15  9 mg,  5/15 8 mg. 11/15 7.12 mg.  4/16  5 mg, 6/16   4.5 mg,  9/16 4.2 mg, 1/17 3.48 mg, 2/17  3.2 mg,  4/17 2.2 mg, 5/17 2.0 mg, 6/17  1.74 mg, 7/17 1.58 mg, 9/17 1.27 mg, 11/17 1.0 mg,  1/18 0.79 mg

Thanks for kind reply mustangwoman.

No,No illness. I am ok though.

Recovering paxil addict

You're ok, but you should see the other guy. lol Now you have to come up with a good story about how you got the scar. lol Blacking out is no fun, actually it is if you don't get hurt.  I've only done it a couple of times and they were prepaxil.  However, I have come close many times in the past several years while in WD.  I really should pay more attention to standing up.  I do it too fast and get moving before I know what is happening.  At work I'll be up from my desk and thirty feed down the hall before I realize that I standing up.  Part of my problem was due to my blood pressure being to low.  Once I sorted that things got a lot better.  One thing I have learned is that when you feel it happening, suck your stomach in and flex it.  That forces blood to your brain and can really help get you back in control.  Also hydrocortisone cream will help clear up the black eye.

Take care, and I hope you're felling better soon.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

"One thing I have learned is that when you feel it happening, suck your stomach in and flex it.  That forces blood to your brain and can really help get you back in control.  Also hydrocortisone cream will help clear up the black eye."

Brilliant!

Tom thanks for this great advice.

Recovering paxil addict

So sorry nz11 that you blacked out this week. That has always been my biggest fear in public is blacking out then you fall and hurt urself. I hope things get better especially how long you have been off. Hopefully it's not caused by something else like a Vit deficiency or anything.

Thinking about you and please take care of yourself.

I started ssris around 2000 sorry I cant remember exactly everything and when but i will try

Paxil from about 2000-2004 from 10 mg right up to 40 mg felt like it wasnt working

THen I have been on Celexa from 2004-2007, then well butrin and abilify was thrown in somewhere up until 2010

tried to c/t off celexa a few times could do it..

went on Cymbalta from about 2010-2012 then had gastric bypass surgery so i wasnt absorbing it very well

2012-2014 went back to celexa then slowing between july 2013 and april 2014 weaned about 1 mg a month

last dose taken was April 2014 And havent really felt that bad at all.. until recently 9 months out and wanted to start college i think this sent me into a wave...i suffered 2 strokes in the small part of my brain in around 2010 but they arent exactly sure when by the time we found them. I had c/t off my meds at that time and was given a triple dose of birth control pill to take for a few months ( so we think that could have caused them)..

Have you ever researched POTS. It seems to be pretty common in the WD aftermath. I got diagnosed with it when I was 16. Eating enough salt has helped a great deal. It increases blood pressure, which helps with the fainting. Also, drinking a ton of water, as it helps increase blood volume. :) just a few thoughts.

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I've had low BP problems at times, too.  I haven't heard of the stomach flexing thing before.  I usually eat some salty food (e.g. chippies) and have a drink which usually helps.  I have a home BP monitor that I use when I start getting any kind of weird faint feeling, which usually confirms what the problem is.  I haven't actually blacked out completely though.  I hope your cut and black eye are better now.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

CG thanks for the kind words.

WF i have never heard of pots...drink lots of water ...i need to do that more. Thanks for the advice.

Songbird thanks for advice.

Eye is healing. Having refused to go to the doc i will probably be left with a long scar.

I need to be careful going forward. 

Recovering paxil addict

I made a claim of medical misadventure against my ex doctor for the horrifying sexual damage done to me last december.

Yesterday the powers to be replied and dismissed my claim.

Basically saying the total loss of sexual functioning and genital anesthesia  is not considered an injury but then concluded that it was in fact due to paroxetine.

If i want to appeal i can ...i can take it to mediation. I have 3 months to decide. Yeah why not ...!! Nothing like telling people what they have done to me. 

Sounds to me like GSK have committed the perfect crime. But i think we all know that already.

Actually i just feel gutted  despite the outcome being predictable. 

I wish these doctors would eat some of their own medicine.

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus

nz11 ,    thankyou for bringing us up to speed.   You must have had quite a shock after you fell . .  blood is always scary.

So good to see you got your pee fixed . . . did you like the discussion on your thread while you were away re analkathisia?

I try to hit the ground asap in big dizzy waves - I figure there's nowhere to fall from there.   And it's good not to hit anything on the way down , if at all possible. :blush:

xxx  Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey NZ, sorry about your fall.  Egads!

I've had "need stitches" situations, and handled them with steri-strips or butterfly closures, and the scars are as clean as if a doc did them.

Battle scars!  You vs. Paxil!

Yes, dizziness and POTS are, um, "normal" in withdrawal from Paxil and other drugs, too.  As if any of this stuff is ever "normal"

Keep shining!

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

You know the best way to learn to fly is to throw yourself at the ground, get distracted and forget what you're doing before you land.  Takes a lot of practice. lol  Very glad to hear that you're on the mend.  Total pisser about your case.  At least they did blame the paxil.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Thanks Jancarol . Can you tell me what POTS is. 'People obscenely traumatized by Ssris' ?

Does the dizziness heal in time or stop or is it permanent and worsening with time?

Thanks Brassmonkey. I appreciate you. 

I dont think there is one man alive who would say oh i'm chemically castrated ...no problem thats not 'an injury'. 

But yes finally someone has actually stopped playing dumb and silent and stopped blaming the person and has for once pointed the finger at the poison, and stated the obvious ...it was caused by paroxetine. But that is nothing new to me.

Recovering paxil addict

POTS can disappear, or it may linger, or come and go. If you didn't have it before WD, it will probably fade.

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

• Moderator Emeritus

nz11, I hope this question isn't weird: Are you healing or not?  Your profile has the sun symbol next to it, but it sounds like you are still having a rough go of it years later.  That scares me, and I don't understand if you are truly recovering or not.  Can you please explain?

*I'm not a doctor and don't give medical advice, just personal experience
**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not
-Dual cold turkeys off TCA & Ativan in Oct 2014. Prescribed from 2011-2014

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Desipramine Jan 2014 - Oct. 29, 2014 (rapid taper/cold turkey)

-Lorazepam 1 mg per night during 2011
-Lorazepam 1 mg per month in 2012 (or less)

-Lorazepam on & off, Dec 2013 through Aug 2014. Didn't exceed 3x a week

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged
-7 years off: Huge improvements, incl. improved dystonia

POTS can disappear, or it may linger, or come and go. If you didn't have it before WD, it will probably fade.

Thanks for this ...i didnt have it before paxil so i shall hope it will fade then

Recovering paxil addict

nz11, I hope this question isn't weird: Are you healing or not?  Your profile has the sun symbol next to it, but it sounds like you are still having a rough go of it years later.  That scares me, and I don't understand if you are truly recovering or not.  Can you please explain?

I didnt put the sun on there.

I am exercising which is an improvement although at times i feel like i am treading water.

Personally i wouldnt want to put a sun up until my pssd resolves ...unfortunately i believe at this stage it will never heal. I am not being negative just at 4.5 yrs realistic.

The emotional veneer is still thin at times but not as bad as it was even 1 year ago. I feel so apathetic and fatigued . Anhedonia rules.

Is that enough info. 

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you. I hope you do not feel I was prying.

*I'm not a doctor and don't give medical advice, just personal experience
**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not
-Dual cold turkeys off TCA & Ativan in Oct 2014. Prescribed from 2011-2014

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Desipramine Jan 2014 - Oct. 29, 2014 (rapid taper/cold turkey)

-Lorazepam 1 mg per night during 2011
-Lorazepam 1 mg per month in 2012 (or less)

-Lorazepam on & off, Dec 2013 through Aug 2014. Didn't exceed 3x a week

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged
-7 years off: Huge improvements, incl. improved dystonia

• 2 weeks later...

I miss you and miss seeing your posts. I didn't know you had been injured either. Really sorry to hear about that.

Some days it is hard to think of anything more positive than that to say to a fellow sufferer.......

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

I miss you and miss seeing your posts. I didn't know you had been injured either. Really sorry to hear about that.

Some days it is hard to think of anything more positive than that to say to a fellow sufferer.......

Thanks CW ..its always nice to know one is missed.

Don't worry i am doing ok. 

Feel so apathetic and pathetic at the moment. 

Go well.

Recovering paxil addict

Ok I am glad. I saw you had checked in recently.

I am sorry you are feeling apathetic, to me that is one of the hardest things to handle.

Thanks for hanging in there!

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• Moderator Emeritus

I hate feeling like that too.  Glad you are doing okay though.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

I wanted to do something about my apathy, but just couldn't  be bothered. lol  I've run into it quite a bit, sometimes I give in to it and others I just fight through and make myself do something.  The neuroapathy does go away, but it an trigger the normal type before it goes.  The charts show that you kiwis have been getting some great southern lights at night the past several days, hope you got a chance to see them, one of natures wonders.

CW , Songbird and Tom thanks for popping in and commenting.

As for the lights yeah i think you are right the only place i saw them was in the newspaper though!

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus

I googled and found a nice video someone had taken from Tekapo.  Looks like you can see them only from certain places, mainly in the south of the South Island.  I did see the lunar eclipse the other night though.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2016  Aug off paroxetine

• 3 weeks later...

Found an interesting book 

The Harm Reduction Guide to Coming Off Psychiatric Drugs, written by Will Hall and published byThe Icarus Project and Freedom Center in 2007, is now available in a revised edition....March 2013 !

Page 35 is about tapering..

".Make a plan and revise it as needed. Some people may go slower or faster, but one way to start is 10% or less reduction of your original dose every 2-3 weeks or longer. Do this until you reach half the original dosage, then go down by 10% of the new level. Make a chart showing dosages by date. Get pills of different size, a pill cutter (some pills shouldn’t be cut), or measuring cup for liquid. For example, if you started with 400 mg. daily, you could first reduce the dose by 10 percent (40 mg.), to 360 mg. After 2 weeks or more if the feelings are tolerable, the next 40 mg. reduction would take you down to 320 mg., and so on. If you got to 200 mg. and a further drop of 40 mg. was too difficult, you could reduce by 10 percent of 200 mg. (20 mg.), and then go down to 180 mg. etc. This is just a general guideline, however, and many people do things differently; consider starting with a test dose and revising as needed • If you have been on a medication a very long time, you may want to start with an even smaller reduction and then stay there for a while. Be flexible - coming off completely might not be right for you."

You know even with all the knowledge out there this book 2013 ? or 2012? whatever...still doesnt get withdrawal tapering ...they claim to have the revised update taking into account the many voices of the experts .....yet they still havent listened to forums like sa or the late pp.

They are making a very big error in advising to taper the original dose not the previous dose.

This is heartbreaking to see this because we all know that even this kind of tapering runs a risk of at some point ending in tears....and a go back to jail !

Some credit to them they do say revise as needed however wouldnt it be better to revise as needed from the safest taper approach. 

also on page 35 they say

"As a general principle, the longer you were on the drug, the longer you may need to take going off of it. Some people take years to come off successfully."

ok then but tell us how that occurs and it occurs by 10% of previous dose per month.At the very least table 'the taper by previous dose and hold for a month or more' as an option. We are all aware of people going a lot slower than 10%. At least mention that.

Apart from this the book was pretty good and i loved the many pictures/illustrations the last one was good a picture of a bike with the caption"They told me i had schizophrenia...i told them i had a bike" !

Also some really interesting info in the book like this one on page 28,

"The leading UK charity MIND, in their study on coming off psychiatric drugs, found that “People who came off their drugs against their doctor’s advice were as likely to succeed as those whose doctors agreed they should come off.” As a result of this finding, MIND realized doctors are sometimes too controlling, and so they changed their official policy: MIND no longer recommends that people attempt to go off psychiatric drugs only with their doctor’s approval. Support is usuallly best however, so try to collaborate with prescribers when possible."

Also pg 21

Pharmaceutical company effectiveness and safety studies, as well as FDA regulation, are extensively corrupted and fraud is widespread. There are few long-term studies, or studies of how drugs combine together. The real extent of psychiatric drug dangers may never be accurately known. Taking psychiatric drugs is in many ways society-wide experimentation, with patients as guinea pigs.

pg 20

Benzodiazepine addiction – Valium, Xanax, Ativan and Klonopin – is a huge public health problem. Withdrawal can be very difficult: benzodiazepines are more addictive than heroin. Use for more than 4-5 days dramatically increases risks. • People are sometimes told they are on a “low dose” even though it can still have powerful adverse effects.

• Psychiatric drugs are widely used in prisons to control inmates, foster care to control children, and in nursing homes to control the elderly. • Sleep medication like Ambien and Halcyon, while sometimes useful in the short term, can be addictive, worsen sleep over time, and cause dangerous blackouts and altered states of consciousness.

• Because they work like recreational drugs, some psychiatric medications are even sold on the street to get high. Stimulants like Ritalin and sedatives like Valium are widely abused. Because of their easy availability, illegal use of psychiatric drugs, including by children, is widespread.

• The “War on Drugs” obscures the similarities between legal psychiatric drugs and illegal recreational drugs. Anti-depressant SSRIs and SNRIs work chemically similar to slowadministered oral cocaine. Cocaine was in fact the first prescription drug marketed for “feel good” anti-depression effects, before being made illegal. Coca, the basis of cocaine, was even once an ingredient in Coca-Cola

I recently met a guy who 'claims ' to have a mental illness and was suicidal on getting off his ad's thought it was him ...i tried to tell him he tapered too fast and it was the drug not him ..he didnt believe me because he said i did taper slow i tapered for 10 months. I tried to point out that is too fast he should have tapered for 30 months min (that is the taper at 10% previous dose from 20 mg start point). He just couldnt believe it and was unable to comprehend or conceive of what i was telling him.  

Anyway talking about books

Whitaker has just released a new one "Psychiatry Under the Influence.

Psychiatry Under the Influence: Institutional Corruption, Social Injury, and Prescriptions for Reform

Psychiatry Under the Influence investigates how the influence of pharmaceutical money and guild interests has corrupted the behavior of the American Psychiatric Association and academic psychiatry during the past 35 years. The book documents how the psychiatric establishment regularly misled the American public about what was known about the biology of mental disorders, the validity of psychiatric diagnoses, and the safety and efficacy of its drugs. It also looks at how these two corrupting influences encouraged the expansion of diagnostic boundaries and the creation of biased clinical practice guidelines. This corruption has led to significant social injury, and in particular, a societal lack of informed consent regarding the use of psychiatric drugs, and the pathologizing of normal behaviors in children and adults. The authors argues that reforming psychiatry will require the neutralization of these two corrupting influences—pharmaceutical money and guild interests—and the establishment of multidisciplinary authority over the field of mental health.

oh look i just got an email ....from amazon!

Thank you for shopping with us. You ordered "Psychiatry Under the influence...... We’ll send a confirmation when your item ships.

Great!

Recovering paxil addict

Interesting observation i found on the Healy Rxsk site :

a leading UK charity, Mind, already mentions and warns of the issue of persisting sexual side-effects from SSRIs (though there is still much about the symptoms and the development of the condition that could be added).

Mind also state, “Mind will not accept money from or hold shares in companies manufacturing pharmaceuticals, lest this should compromise our position on the uses of medication.”

Another UK Charity does not warn of persistent sexual damage perhaps unwilling to do so. Yet they state, “Rethink Mental Illness values the support we receive from pharmaceutical companies as part of a diverse fundraising strategy…”

NOTE : One of them receives funding from pharma, while the other does not!

Conclusion: Pharma tentacles are clearly influential and far reaching!

Recovering paxil addict

• 3 weeks later...

I like Mind..

Could not believe it when I saw you were prescribed for arm pain and have gone through all this..

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

Yep thanks Loveandlight, i was completely hoodwinked. ie scammed!

Recovering paxil addict

Just wanted to add this to my journal for quick future access

Maudsley Debate 2015

Does long term use of psychiatric drugs cause more harm than good?

BMJ 2015350 doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmj.h2435 (Published 12 May 2015)

Cite this as: BMJ 2015;350:h2435The Maudsley debate 2015 

Wow i came to post this too and you guys bet me to it.

http://www.bmj.com/c...t/350/bmj.h2435

Bold emphasis mine. [insert mine]

Gotzche says :

"Given their lack of benefit, I estimate we could stop almost all psychotropic drugs without causing harm—by dropping all antidepressants, ADHD drugs, and dementia drugs (as the small effects are probably the result of unblinding bias) and using only a fraction of the antipsychotics and benzodiazepines we currently use. This would lead to healthier and more long lived populations. Because psychotropic drugs are immensely harmful when used long term, they should almost exclusively be used in acute situations and always with a firm plan for tapering off, which can be difficult for many patients.

We need new guidelines to reflect this. We also need widespread withdrawal clinics because many patients have become dependent on psychiatric drugs, including antidepressants, and need help so that they can stop taking them slowly and safely.

............................../..................

I was a bit surprised at the first sentence by Gotzche but what i think he is meaning is that we could stop all new prescriptions of this stuff and taper existing people.

Gotxzche opens the debate with :

Psychiatric drugs are responsible for the deaths of more than half a million people aged 65 and older each year in the Western world, as I show below. Their benefits would need to be colossal to justify this, but they are minimal.

Overstated benefits and understated deaths

The randomised trials that have been conducted do not properly evaluate the drugs’ effects. Almost all of them are biased because they included patients already taking another psychiatric drug. Patients, who after a short wash-out period are randomised to placebo, go “cold turkey” and often experience withdrawal symptoms. This design exaggerates the benefits of treatment and increases the harms in the placebo group, and it has driven patients taking placebo to suicide in trials in schizophrenia.

Under-reporting of deaths in industry funded trials is another major flaw.

Based on some of the randomised trials that were included in a meta-analysis of 100 000 patients by the US Food and Drug Administration, I have estimated that there are likely to have been 15 times more suicides among people taking antidepressants than reported by the FDA—for example, there were 14 suicides in 9956 patients in trials with fluoxetine and paroxetine, whereas the FDA had only five suicides in 52 960 patients, partly because the FDA only included events up to 24 hours after patients stopped taking the drug. [This is a disgrace!!]

Estimate of total deaths

For antipsychotics, I used a meta-analysis of placebo controlled trials in patients with dementia because they would be less likely to have been receiving psychiatric drugs before randomisation. The absolute death rate was 1% higher in the treatment group. The Finnish cohort study of mortality in patients with schizophrenia—and all other such studies that support the idea that antipsychotics lower mortality—is unreliable. (The mortality in patients who were not taking drugs was very high and didn’t concur with other Finnish data, and 64% of the deaths were not accounted for.)

A well conducted cohort study of patients of average age 55 found that benzodiazepines and similar drugs doubled the death rate; the excess death rate was about 1% a year.

A cohort study of patients older than 65 who were their own control found that all cause mortality was 3.6% higher when patients were taking the newer antidepressants for one year than when they did not take antidepressants.

I used Danish prescription statistics to estimate the number of deaths caused by these three classes of drugs. Because falls, which are much more common in older people, are an important cause of death in people taking psychotropic drugs, I included only people at least 65 years of age and used conservative death rates: 1% for antipsychotics, 1% for benzodiazepines and similar drugs, and only 2% for antidepressants. The total number of deaths a year in Denmark (3693) when scaled up corresponded to 539 000 in the United States and European Union combined.

......................................//...................

This is an interesting sentence"

"Patients, who after a short wash-out period are randomised to placebo, go “cold turkey” and often experience withdrawal symptoms."

My understanding of this so called 'wash out period' is that in the trials they cold turkey someone off the drug and then put them immediately and unethically into the placebo cohort ...they then go and commit suicide ...as you would...and they then call it a placebo suicide and not a suicide due to the drug.

This action if i am correct is truly sickening! 

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus

Hiya nz ,    A presentation given in Melbourne earlier this year by Prof. Peter Gotzsche has just been posted on youtube.

Search for "Gotzsche , youtube , overdiagnosed" and you'll find it.    He's a wonderful speaker.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg