☼ nz11 climbs onboard

nz11

Here is something to consider from todays findings :

...............................................................................................//.......................................................

The Nuremberg Code of research ethics, established after the horrific human experiments by doctors in Nazi Germany, states that medical experiments on human subjects:

“should be so conducted as to avoid all unnecessary physical and mental suffering and injury.”

.............................................................................................//............................................................

I dont see why this shouldnt also apply to doctors daily practice.

After what i have had to endure for the last 4 years i am pretty sure my ex-doctor feels this doesnt apply to him.

Perhaps pharma feel that it  applies to everyone except them too.

Dont get me wrong i am not belittling nazi victims suffering. However this site alone is testimony and record of the suffering and injury induced daily by doctors. 

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Thanks for all this..very interesting..I love reading stuff like this esp. when it pertains to the use of psych drugs. When I read other things re. Health, I automatically think " oh but that doesn't apply to me, it only applies to people who have never used drugs.."

I don't think there is much worse than psych drug effects and withdrawal..sure there is a lot of things much worse but in the scheme of things it must be in the top end of one of the worst things that can happen..the mind can be used in a lot of situations but when the very use of it has disappeared, it is incredibly difficult..

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

Just read three delightful Alto-isms.

So i wanted to save them somewhere for easy access for future quoting.

A:

"If you choose to live a life without psychiatric drugs, you will have to find non-drug ways to cope with any symptoms you have. If you believe you are seriously mentally ill, you will always easily find people who will confirm your opinion, no matter what your condition. One way or the other, you need to take responsibility for yourself."   

[When it comes to the doctors clinic the power imbalance is unprecedented and it takes a major paradigm shift to start to be able to take responsibility for oneself....to realize the very one who we thought was helping is actually harming! ]

B:

"As this is a site for going off drugs, we generally don't discuss fine-tuning cocktails. With your history of going on and off drugs, it could very well be that what you think is chronic "depression" is actually a series of adverse effects -- an iatrogenic condition. If I were you, I'd minimize drugs, stabilize, and see what your real baseline might be."

[ Just thought id get this defn clear in my mind...so much to learn being a recovering drug addict (by stealth)]

iatrogenic
adjective
adjective: iatrogenic
  1. relating to illness caused by medical examination or treatment.
    "drugs may cause side effects which can lead to iatrogenic disease"

So i think i got it,.... iatrogenic means  'drug induced damage/state', perhaps meaning to exhibit or manifest a state due solely to drug exposure.

No doc i dont have 'D' what i have is an iatrogenic condition.

So akathisia then could be described as an iatrogenic condition i guess.

They are so thick/or clever they would probably say 'What does iatrogenic mean' ? Thats just another way they 'Deny harm'!

C;
    'Your doctor has simply been maintaining your drug addiction'   or words to that effect.
    [Yep sums up my story thats for sure]

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Huge piece of info as at 22 May 2015:

Guess what is on the list ....VENLAFAXINE ....

http://www.ema.europa.eu/ema/index.jsp?curl=pages/news_and_events/news/2015/05/news_detail_002338.jsp&mid=WC0b01ac058004d5c1

It appears this is only in respect of generic forms ....so why not the main form as well?????????????

22/05/2015

GVK Biosciences: European Medicines Agency confirms recommendation to suspend medicines over flawed studies

Medicines considered critically important for patients to remain available

The European Medicines Agency (EMA) has confirmed its recommendation to suspend a number of medicines for which authorisation in the European Union (EU) was primarily based on clinical studies conducted at GVK Biosciences in Hyderabad, India. This is the outcome of a re-examination requested by marketing authorisation holders for seven of the medicines concerned.

EMA’s Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use (CHMP) had adopted its original recommendation in January 2015 following an inspection of GVK Biosciences’ site at Hyderabad by the French medicines agency (ANSM) that raised concerns about how GVK Biosciences conducted studies at the site on behalf of marketing authorisation holders.

The inspection revealed data manipulations of electrocardiograms (ECGs) during the conduct of some studies of generic medicines, which appeared to have taken place over a period of at least five years. Their systematic nature, the extended period of time during which they took place and the number of members of staff involved cast doubt on the integrity of the conduct of trials at the site generally and on the reliability of data generated.

During the re-examination, the CHMP concluded that concerns about reliability of the clinical studies remain and therefore maintained its recommendation of January 2015 to suspend medicines for which no supporting data from other studies were available. This is with the exception of one medicine included in the re-examination for which concerns about studies were addressed. This medicine is now no longer recommended for suspension.1

As a result of the CHMP’s January 2015 opinion and the re-examination, around 700 pharmaceutical forms and strengths of medicines studied at the Hyderabad site remain recommended for suspension. For around 300 other pharmaceutical forms and strengths, sufficient supporting data from other sources had been provided; these medicines will therefore remain on the market in the EU.

The updated list of medicines for which the CHMP recommends suspension is available on the EMA website.

The CHMP noted that there is no evidence of harm or lack of effectiveness linked to the conduct of studies by GVK Biosciences at Hyderabad. Some of these medicines may remain on the market in some countries if they are of critical importance for patients because alternatives cannot meet patients’ needs.

The decision on whether a medicine is critical for patients lies with the national authorities of EU Member States depending on the situation in their country. For medicines that are considered critical, companies are given 12 months to submit additional data.

EMA and national authorities work closely with international partners to ensure that studies underpinning marketing authorisations in the EU are carried out to the highest standards and that the companies involved comply fully with all aspects of Good Clinical Practice (GCP).

The CHMP’s recommendation will now be sent to the European Commission for a legally binding decision. This decision will apply to all Member States irrespective of whether or not they have taken interim measures to suspend medicines.

Recovering paxil addict

Let's hear it for outsourcing!!!! And you thought computer help lines were bad.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

BM

yep nothing like drugging the 3rd world weak and vulnerable. Forget about the Nuremburg code of ethics.

These people are getting away with murder.

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the references to Candace Pert Phd.  nz.    I was wondering why the name was familiar , and have just realized that

one of her cd's "Psychosomatic Wellness" (guided meditations, affirmations and music to heal your bodymind"  was in my 24/7

rotation when I was very sick last year.   I must have listened to it at least 6 times every 24 hours for months - my mind got brief

reprieve from focusing on her voice.

Re a technical issue:    How did you get the transcript of Anne Blake Tracy's "Help , I can't get off My Antidepressants" ?

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Fresh,

I listened and typed!! It was as simple as that! There is more to come by the way.

Wow ..what a small world...

Confession: ok ok i didnt listen and type ....i listened, verbally repeated it and 'Dragon naturally speaking software' typed.

Dragon is an absolutely amazing invention. it truely is a modern technological miracle ! I am often totally mesmerized by its accuracy.

heres a demo check it out: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImlKOA1MhlI

How do you paste a link only and not the whole vid? anyone know that ?

Edited by JanCarol
added link

Recovering paxil addict

How do you paste a link only and not the whole vid? anyone know that ?

In the post editor, click the ninth button from the left (it is a 2 link chain with a green plus sign on it and paste your link in the box that appears. Or you can just type it out like you did above and the reader can copy then paste it into a browser address bar. Make 'em work for it....

If you are using Firefox, links are not a problem if they are not hypertext - just highlight the whole link, then 'right' click on the highlight and choose how you want it to open with a left click (new tab, new window). Wallah, it's there.

Maybe one of the nice mods can link-ify it for you (if they see this post, of course.)

Hmm, new job in the works? Converting audio to transcripts? Takes quite a bit of learning to tame the dragon but if you have done so, the possibilities are endless. Some people get quite good at it.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

CW you are a champion.

I've given the game away now.

I only use dragon for typing though (really good for doing 5 page complaint letters to medical authorities)  but honestly not a lot of learning to do that ...i just read ..of course i have to verbalise 'full stop' oops 'period' if your americam,.comma etc..Im doing it the long way b/c dragon can actually do it directly from the mp3 file itself on a voice recorder...no fun if you do it like that though..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImlKOA1MhlI

ohyeah alright!!!

Thanks

Go well

nz11

Recovering paxil addict

Monica as a similar thing for dictating text messages on her phone, works really well.  I was worried though, the thought of you typing all of that.  I could see a relapse of your original condition coming back, and we all know how that has to be threated. LOL

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

I was worried though, the thought of you typing all of that.  I could see a relapse of your original condition coming back, and we all know how that has to be threated. LOL

yes you are right...i must be careful...and if a flare up occurs...DO NOT GO TO THE DOCTOR! EVER, No dont do it ...just forget it ..no no dont do it.

Threat gee wish i was so lucky ...No threat for me .....just a 'Bruce Jenner' no questions asked !! Talk about slaying the dragon...and i aint talking typing software!

Recovering paxil addict

From another thread:

Just moved to Eketahuna! yippee! Great to get out of the city.

Nz, p'raps you'd consider moving to someplace more pronounceable? I herniated my frenulum just trying to sound out the names I found when wiki-ing your new digs:

Eketahuna is a small rural service town, the most southerly in the Tararua District in the Manawatu-Wanganui region of the North Island of New Zealand

And my mom attempted to call 911 because she thought I was choking....

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

CW lol

Well i prefer it to living in Waikikamukau (pronounced "Why-kick-a-moo-cow").

Eketahuna pronounced ek-a-ta-hoona  a town with 9 good guys, one bad ass, 5,000 cows, 10,000 sheep and a 20 mile radius doctor free zone! sounds like one safe place to me!! yep thats my kinda town

Frenulum...where the heck is that ...south of ekatahuna and next to waikikamukau i s'pose.?

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus

Lol @ CW.    I wondered which frenulum you were referring to , then I saw the choking comment.  Phew , could've been PGAD.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

abt continued..........

Got a bit off task so lets get back to business here is the next installment of abt's CD.

I found this one very interesting and i ticked all the boxes here.

abt's american accent confused me ...was abt saying hyper- or hypo- ? not sure...went for hyper-. 

I hope s/o will correct me if i am wrong.[insert mine].

............................................................//..............................

One thing mentioned previously that was the problem with SSRI induced hyperglycaemia, I find that hyperglycaemic reactions are very common with these drugs. Even if you do not experience a hyperglycaemic reaction while on the drug it should be expected when you withdraw from any mind altering medication. So the blood sugar issue is one that must be addressed.

You will experience hyperglycaemia in the withdrawal you will need to learn how to handle that. Confusion impaired memory mood swings irritability depression hyperactivity inability to concentrate hopelessness anxiety exhaustion sweating tremor vertigo heart palpitations muscle pain backache anorexia crying spells phobias or unjustified fears, numbness chronic indigestion mental confusion cold hands or feet blurred vision muscle twitching or cramps joint pain antisocial behaviour recklessness obesity staggering abdominal spasms fainting or blackouts convulsions and suicidal tendencies. Even though this sounds like virtually every reason for which they give these drugs that is the description of hyperglycaemia.

[Wow i experienced all this in wdl!.....is this really the discription of hyperglycaemia? This is exactly what wdl was like !..except for the anorexia i experienced all the rest ...this is exactly how it is.]

A study indicating a higher rate of diabetes in those diagnosed bipolar was published in the September 1999 issue of the American Journal of psychiatry. In this study it states that scientists have known that since the turn-of-the-century that mental illness’s are blood sugar related. Certainly the public knows little of this and few doctors seem to be aware either.

Hyperglycaemia is a condition in which the pancreas is not functioning properly. The pancreas malfunctions causing too much insulin to be released which drops the blood sugar level below normal. This is a critical situation for the brain since the brain cannot function without proper blood sugar levels. The minute the blood sugar level begins to drop the brain cells die. That is how dependent brain function is upon blood sugar levels so you need to understand how critical it is to keep your blood sugar at normal levels.

Anything that increases serotonin drops blood sugar levels.

These antidepressants do it various foods such as white sugar NutraSweet also do it. Stress does that as well. So in coming through the withdrawal process we want you to keep this in mind so that you can focus on keeping the blood sugar levels balanced. Doing this will prevent a condition in which you may suffer additional brain damage from the blood sugar imbalances.

Let us look at some of the most commonly reported adverse effects of the withdrawal. The most common is insomnia. Restoring sleep patterns is the most difficult withdrawal symptom to deal with and sleep is so critical for mental health. Flulike symptoms come in withdrawal rebound depression worse than what you took the drug for, exhaustion, chronic fatigue is also diagnosed in the withdrawal. Irritability leading to rage. If you have ever seen someone coming off nicotine you have some idea of the irritability produced in drug withdrawal. Electric shocks throughout the extremities, seizures and of course the most dangerous withdrawal effect is the mild seizure activity of the REM sleep behaviour disorder which leads to psychotic breaks. The REM sleep disorder is a whole combination of things going on in the body. It is for the REM sleep, the dream state has been so regressed for so long that the brain forces you into a dream while you are awake. This is a sleepwalk state where you begin to act out dreams or nightmares, most often nightmares. This REM sleep behaviour disorder will often be labelled mania or psychosis. Keep in mind that increases in serotonin produce both nightmares and sleepwalk. The potential for the REM sleep behaviour disorder is high with  these drugs during use or in coming off of them.

[Dont think i ever did sleep walking, i do a lot of insomnia walking though at 2 am to get a snack and a drink from the fridge i dont thinks she is referring to that though]

..........further on in the cd she says this:

Once someone who is on these drugs understands how dangerous the drugs can be, the first thing they want to do is get off NOW!

Unfortunately in 12 years as I have been working with those withdrawing from these drugs I have yet to see someone come off the drugs cold turkey and do well. There are a few that have had very few withdrawal symptoms but I will tell you that they are very few in numbers. The longer you have been on the medication the weaker your constitution is and the more difficult it is to withdraw. So remember to be kind and gentle to yourself as you go through this. A few of the things you need to do is to keep a diary of how you feel and how you are doing each day. This is very important because when the bad days hit patients say that they cannot recall the good days at all. It doesn’t matter how many good days they have had in a row once that bad day hits they forget all the rest.

It is very helpful to keep the diary so that when a bad day does come you can look back at your diary and say okay now how many good days did I have in a row, once I get through this one bad day I will have this many more good days again. It tends to go that way, patients report that in the beginning they will have several bad days and then one good day and then they will have several more bad days and then two good days, several more bad days and then three good days so that you are having more and more good days and fewer and fewer bad days. You will find that keeping a diary will be very helpful in tracking that.

The slow and gradual process recommended here is that of shaving a tiny bit of the pill each day taking months to withdraw instead of weeks. It takes a lot of patience to do this. But through this method of very very slow  withdraw patients are able to completely get off these drugs, get their life back together again and not go through the terrible withdrawal that can stop them from functioning as an individual. And clearly you will see that this is the simplest and easiest way patients have found to get off these medications.

[sorry abt but in all humbleness imo this is not specific enough, and as such is not good enough you have not spelled out  the 'recommended here' anywhere in a specific manner from what i can see. This defn is very loose and vague....left to ourselves without insight one cannot possibly concieve of what 'very very slow' is......At only one point in the CD you say tapering  is between one third and one half the time on the drug yet you are silent on how that  is accomplished, after 2-3 yrs (many are in these timeframes) then tapering  becomes years to withdraw not months, are you overlooking that are you aware of that? other than that todays info was very insightful. ]

.........................................................................................................

Todays thought ....Always keep pushing the envelope but do it gently.

Todays new word...' frenulum. '

Todays acknowledgement and thanks to 'The Dragon'...........!

Dragon how is it you can spell 'hyperglycaemia' yet every damn time when i say 'in ' you write 'and' ?

Recovering paxil addict

Fresh gave me a clue that there are other 'frenuli', I forgot about them.

I meant the tongue one, of course.

Dragon how is it you can spell 'hyperglycaemia' yet every damn time when i say 'in ' you write 'and' ?

Kiwi accent?

(And how does it know to spell it with an 'ae'? You told it to, right?)

I want to visit Kickamoocow. Got to be my kind of place, I just know it.

CW you are a very clever cookie..actually i lied, dragon spelt it 'hypoglycaemia' and i changed it to hyperglycaemia.

I can choose in settings what accent i want and i chose kiwi of course...must be that Eketahuna pronunciation!  Dragon clearly has trouble with Eketahunians

no problem with the 'ae' though.

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus

Here you go nz.   Keep that Anne Blake Tracy coming   :) .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frenulum

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

• 2 weeks later...

Brilliant find this morning ...oh i just love these kind of mornings ...so i am going to put it here so i can lock it in for future reference...

Dr Ann Blake Tracey says this regarding her audio.....

This is a tape doctors can also benefit from when attempting to withdraw their patients from these drugs that the World Health Organization has now told us are addictive and produce withdrawal.

For weeks/months now i have been thinking wow!! the WHO has confirmed these drugs are addictive and have withdrawal difficulties.

I thought gee i would love to have that referenced!!

Well this morning i stumbled upon it.

In this study...which i was reading from the journals here at sa...(http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3713-campagne-2005-venlafaxine-and-serious-withdrawal-symptoms-warning-to-drivers/?p=42482)

MedGenMed. 2005 Jul 6;7(3):22.
Venlafaxine and serious withdrawal symptoms: warning to drivers.
Campagne DM.

Abstract and full text at http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/16369248

As discussed, withdrawal symptoms occur in patients who have received both low and high doses of venlafaxine and result in a discontinuance syndrome with several manifestations, especially severe dizziness and disorientation, that are incompatible with driving a car or using heavy or dangerous machinery. Although standard warnings are given that taking the drug may affect those abilities, and patients are also generally advised not to stop the medication abruptly, severe withdrawal symptoms, such as confusion, impaired coordination, sensory disturbances, vertigo, delirium, strokelike symptoms, and depersonalization, may occur only hours after reduction or cessation and should warrant a specific "warning to drivers." Whenever venlafaxine is not taken at the usual time or in the usual quantity, special caution is warranted.

Even when the dosage is being tapered, the physician should instruct the patient to beware of these symptoms, because the recommended tapering period of 2 weeks is not necessarily sufficient. Cases have been documented in which even tapering over a period of 3 months was insufficient.[16]

Venlafaxine is a widely used antidepressant. The World Health Organization asserts that SSRI and SSRNI  antidepressants cause dependence and that discontinuation symptoms can be troublesome and persist notwithstanding taper therapy.[17] The specific symptoms that can result from venlafaxine reduction or discontinuation as reviewed here seriously impair driving ability and should be prevented by strict dosage discipline and adequate warnings.

[16] Sierra Santos L, Raigal Martin Y, Ortega Garcia A, Berriochoa Martinez de Pison C, Aparicio Jabalquinto G: Venlafaxina y sindrome de discontinuación. Atencion Primaria. 1999;24:617-618.

[17] Selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors and withdrawal reactions. WHO Drug Information. 1998;12:3, 136.

This is gold pure gold ...even ref. [16] is priceless. WOW Even as far back as 1998 this was known ...so why am i in 2015 still having to debate this with clueless doctors!! Just disgraceful!!

This is great for my latest complaint letter when they try to tell me not addictive and tapering a minor issue as it was  a low dose .

LOCK IT IN!

LOCKED IN!!!!....

You little beauty

nz11

Recovering paxil addict

ok nz11 for a million dollars....When is dependency established? you have 24 hours starting .........now!

Well i am aware of this Gotzsche study and i will post it here.

Addiction. 2012 May;107(5):900-8. doi: 10.1111/j.1360-0443.2011.03686.x. Epub 2012 Jan 23.

What is the difference between dependence and withdrawal reactions? A comparison of benzodiazepines and selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors.

Nielsen M, Hansen EH, Gøtzsche PC.

Source

Department 3343, The Nordic Cochrane Centre, Copenhagen, Denmark. marn@phmetropol.dk

Abstract

AIMS:

To explore the rationale for claiming that benzodiazepines cause dependence while selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors (SSRIs) do not.

METHODS:

We analysed the definitions of dependence and withdrawal reactions as they had appeared over time in the Diagnostic Statistical Manual of Mental Diseases (DSM) and the International Classification of Diseases (ICD). We also compared the discontinuation symptoms described for the two drug groups in a systematic review.

RESULTS:

The definition of substance dependence has changed over time in both the DSM and ICD. In the most recent classifications several criteria, including behavioural, physiological and cognitive manifestations, must be fulfilled. This change was published with the revision of the DSM-III revision in 1987 (DSM-IIIR), after the recognition of benzodiazepine dependence and just before the SSRIs were marketed in 1987-88. We found that discontinuation symptoms were described with similar terms for benzodiazepines and SSRIs and were very similar for 37 of 42 identified symptoms described as withdrawal reactions.

CONCLUSIONS:

Withdrawal reactions to selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors appear to be similar to those for benzodiazepines; referring to these reactions as part of a dependence syndrome in the case of benzodiazepines, but not selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors, does not seem rational.

..........................................................//..................................................................

It is known that benzo addiction is established in one week (be good to have the ref for this as well...i think i saw it in one of Breggins books)......so i guess it could be similar. But i know that some say one month .....but i cant reference it...

Look i know i have used up my 50:50 and i dont think i will phone a friend because due to paxil i dont have any friends and furthermore if i did have one they wouldnt know either.............SO...............ok ....

....lets go the audience!!

Can anyone reference the dependancy timeframe for me.........................................i have 23hours left.

Recovering paxil addict

....lets go the audience!!

be just as informative (and correct, no doubt) if one stooped to reading tea leaves (no offense to the leaf readers out there).

Is not this a matter of interpretation by the medicos?

Crap is crap no matter how you define it: dependence on drugs sucks and withdrawing from them generally sucks too. Works this way for lots of them. I am still shocked that PPIs have to be tapered, for example.

CW ....sorry i am showing my ignorance here what are ppis? We have some pippis at the local beach a variety of shellfish kind of like cockles but bigger.

Fresh - thankyou for your patience i am hoping to put up the last of the Ann Blake Tracey transcripted-audio today. And thanks for the wiki link for frenulum....i had to look that one up for sure..

Recovering paxil addict

This morning i came across this most excellent choice wonderful bodacious piece.

While up at 4am cos I  cant sleep ...thanks for that gsk...i was checking out the book reviews by others on Gotzsches book "Deadly medicines and organised crime"....look what i stumbled upon.

Didnt think i would post other peoples book reviews here but goodness me ...have a look at this....And especially check out the very last paragraph....bold emphasis mine.

As they say in America....Enjoy!!!

.................................................................................................../................................

BySimple Citizenon February 23, 2015
Grade: A

Mind Blown! I mean it. I've been skeptical of the pharmaceutical industry for many years, but I don't know of anything as impressive as this book.
This book is not written by some anti-drug hack. Dr. Peter Gotzsche co-founded the Cochrane Collaboration in 1993 and established The Nordic Cochrane Centre the same year.

I first heard about the Cochrane Collaboration in my high school debate class when my teacher was discussing the greatest collection and analyses of medical knowledge in the world.

Yeah - the author of this book helped found it and he has worked in medical research and meta-analysis of data for most of his life. He became Professor of Clinical Research Design and Analysis in 2010 at the University of Copenhagen.

Basically - this guy knows what he is talking about. He is a physician who has prescribed medications, he has been a "drug rep" and helped sell medications, and he has since analyzed more studies than any researcher I've read.

The only reason this book doesn't get an A+ is because it is so amazingly heavy on research and medical terminology that it is unlikely to be read by the general public.

This book meticulously and methodically shows how deeply entrenched the pharmaceutical industry is in EVERY level of medicine.
I knew they offered free lunches, free drug samples, and they paid for speakers at medical conferences. I knew they used to give out free pens and paper, and toys, and clocks. I even knew they had some pull at the FDA. I had no idea about all the rest.

MEDICAL JOURNALS
This was the part that scared me the most.
The BMJ (British Medical Journal)'s former editor said "medical journals are an extension of the marketing arm of the pharmaceutical companies." - p. 64

WHAT?! Medical journals are where I get my trustworthy information. It's where I can find double blind randomized control trials that have been peer-reviewed. They are the gold standard for research!
Journals are where I proudly hang my hat. I don't need to listen to drug reps - I read the New England Journal of Medicine. The best in the world!

It turns out journal editors can be bought off - just like everyone else. Even the best medical journals in the world - New England Journal of Medicine, Lancet, BMJ, Annals of Internal Medicine and JAMA - have all accepted drug money to publish misleading information or bad studies.

The New England Journal of Medicine (likely the most respected medical journal in the world) is as guilty as the rest. 32% of all trials published in their journal were solely funded by drug companies.
NEJM even changed their policy in 2002 to allow authors to write about products in which they had a financial interest.
Journals make HUGE money from advertisements and reprints. If they publish a study beneficial to a drug company - that company promises to buy reprints in order to show them to physicians.
The Lancet made over £1.5 million on orders for a reprint of just one of their editions.
The Annals of Internal Medicine lost over $1 million in advertising revenue after it published a study that was critical of industry advertisements.

Journals have a financial interest in making their article abstracts sound beneficial for new drugs. Reprints will be ordered. The more they allow a study to minimize or hide side effects - the more money they'll make.

Journal corruption is just one small chapter in this book. Gotzsche also details corruption in clinical trials, seeding trials, TV ads, the FDA, patents, professional organizations, and even CME, Continuing Medical Education.

Doctors have to stay current. To keep their board certification we have to log hours of continuing education.
60% of all CME is paid for and provided by drug companies - so guess what most of us are learning? Exactly what they want us to.

Drug companies are not changing. They get caught in their fraud. They either say it was "one bad apple" or "mea culpa: we've now changed our ways."
It's all lies.

If you look at the 3 years span from 2010-2012 you'll find these cases:
2012: Abbott paid $1.5 Billion for Medicaid fraud
2012: Johnson and Johnson fined $1.1 Billion for hiding side effects
2011: GlaxoSmithKline paid $3 Billion for illegal marketing of off-label drugs.
2010: AstraZeneca paid $520 Million for fraud
2010: Novartis paid $423 Million for illegal marketing
the list goes on...

They aren't changing. Drug companies know how to make money - and these lawsuits are already factored in to the profit predictions. They know that these fines are worth it. The fraud makes them more money than they will ever be fined.

This book made me look at my life. I'll graduate from fellowship in four months and begin my career as a Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist.
I know there are good medications. There are caring doctors. There are honest people working as drug reps. There are intelligent and ethical researchers at the FDA and at pharmaceutical companies. There are honest, discerning journal editors who want to publish the truth.
I simply don't trust drug companies to give any of these people accurate information.

Peter Gotzsche's book is heart-breakingly accurate. I highly recommend it.
..............................................................................//...................................................
Wow that is just stunning!!
nz11

Here is something else that is interesting.?...coincidental??...In my book review jan 15 i was gently critical of Peter Gotzsche for not being informed about tapering or taper times...humbly and sincerely of course ..dont get me wrong i applauded his book also ..but said he clearly couldnt grasp the idea of someone tapering for more than a 'full year'. However in his Feb 2015 Melbourne talk ..Gotzsche talks about knowledge of someone tapering for 7 years. Then in his Maudsley debate in May/june ? 15 finishes with 'we need tapering clinics set up'.
What a great guy Gotzsche is.!!. Do you think he reads book reviews ??  Who cares and i am sure it is just coincidence ..i say Go Go Go Gotzsche...you good thing you!!
Aussi Aussi Aussi  Gotzsche Gotzsche Gotzdche ..oi oi oi !! (Sure is a better chant than the one sung by our furry wombat-ed marsupial neighbours )

later....hold on a minute ..did i just say a kind word about a psychiatrist........ahhhhhh. Thats a first!

Recovering paxil addict

o.k. i have been saving the best for last ...

This is the last post in the ABT series  'Help i cant .....'

................................................................//....................................................

All of the antidepressants affect serotonin levels including the tri-cyclics, the MAOIs many of the anti-psychotics also act on serotonin as well ….. All of these drugs are known as serotonergic medications.

Tracey says all these drugs basically work the same and have similar effects. Also included in sertonergic meds are Anafranil (clomipramine), Desyrel ( trazodone).

Keep in mind that the drug Prozac was the pattern for all the others that came out after it and its reactions are a general rule of thumb for what you will see in each of the medications some are stronger than others and have their own brand name but they all basically work the same and have similar effects.

Most critical  to understand is that the serotonin hypothesis behind the serotonergic medications is wrong. Medical research over the last 50 years proves that as does the newest research.

The incorrect theory behind these drugs is that serotonin levels are low in depression, OCD, anxiety etc…

Serotonin is a chemical normally found in the brain known as the neurotransmitter.

If serotonin is low in these disorders the theory is then that we need drugs like Zoloft Prozac Paxil etc to increase the level of serotonin  in our brains and this is how these drugs came about.

The problem with this is if you read back through the medical research over  the past 50 years you will find some very interesting information that shows this theory is completely backwards.

First if  we look at the history of serotonin we need to go back to the research of Dr Felix Solman. A doctor in Israel who pioneered research on serotonin. In the 50s and 60s as he worked with those who had higher serotonin levels due to an inability to metabolise serotonin by their own bodies.

He came to realize that serotonin was this stress neuro hormone indicating stress through the nervous system and the brain and throughout the body.

He found that these poor metabolizes of serotonin would have serotonin build up to higher levels within this system. When this would happen he determined that they were actually being poisoned by the serotonin produced by their own bodies which they were not able to metabolize. He called this toxic condition the serotonin irritation syndrome.

Now the serotonergic drugs work by impairing the serotonin metabolism so that serotonin levels will increase, chemically inducing higher serotonin levels exactly what Dr Solman saw in his patients.

Dr Solman learned that these victims with poor serotonin metabolism suffered from irritability sleeplessness, pains  around the heart difficulty breathing worsening of barochial complaints tension and anxiety that would appear from out of nowhere.

They also suffered spontaneous abortions.

They would sleep on the edge of consciousness and awake at the slightest provocation, and not be able to return to sleep. And if you have read the chapter on sleep in ‘Prozac panacea or Pandora’, you already know how many terrible problems physical as well as mental that our disruption of sleep alone can cause.

So as we move away from Dr Solman’s work where he reported these serious problems with serotonin, we look at additional research that we have had over the last 30 – 40 years.

As you read this medical research on serotonin you find that high levels of serotonin are found in schizophrenia, psychosis, mania disorders which includes depression and anxiety, organic brain disease, mental retardation and that risk is greater in children.

One of the main reasons why these drugs increase serotonin and have not been approved as safe for children. Autism is also a state in which we find high levels of serotonin, Alzheimer’s, old age, anorexia, constriction of bronchial tubes and constriction of the arteries to the heart.  [ i have said many times i feel like i am 100 yrs old]

One of the main functions of serotonin is constriction of muscle tissue.      [And dont we all know it].

Reports of muscle damage and conditions with the tightening of the muscles such as TMJ came early on with these drugs. ................................[wow! i just joined a stack of dots].

Now let’s discuss what we know about lowered levels of serotonin metabolism.

Remember that as the metabolism of serotonin increases the serotonin level goes up. If you can’t metabolize it of course the level of serotonin is going to build up.

So when we discussed lowered serotonin metabolism we are also talking about increased serotonin levels or serotonin toxicity.

Not only do we know that these SSRI antidepressants lower the metabolism of serotonin, we even know which percentage of them lowers the levels of that metabolism. The studies indicating each percentage at which these drugs lower serotonin metabolism are listed in the book Prozac panacea or Pandora.

Studies show that when you lower serotonin metabolism comes impulsive murder, suicide especially very violent suicide, arson, repeated suicide attempts, violent crime, insomnia, depression, abuse of alcohol and other drugs, impulsive acts with no concern for punishment, reckless driving – road rage we now see that we have never heard of before these drugs became so popular. Dependence on other chemicals such as nicotine, caffeine, cocaine etc. you will often see cravings for these things along with cravings for NutraSweet, or sugar [ok i put my hand up on that one..so thats why] and patients using these drugs that lower serotonin metabolism.

Also associated with impaired serotonin metabolism are bulimia, multiple suicide attempts. Someone with and throughout the world today impaired serotonin metabolism will not stop with one suicide attempt, they will continue almost non-stop making attempts. Hostility, more contact with police, exhibitionism, arguments with spouses friends and relatives often leading to divorce, excessive compulsive behaviour, impaired employment due to hostility. The most likely reason we now hear the new term desk- rage. Anorexia is another.                            [Wow abt is spot on!!]

What is frightening is that these drugs are being given for so many of the disorders that we have listed, that we know through medical research come from increased levels of serotonin, caused by an inability to metabolize serotonin.

The exact method by which these drugs work. Obviously we have made the terrible mistake of increasing serotonin and decreasing the metabolism of serotonin throughout the system producing  worsening problems that most patients had before they started on the serotonergic antidepressants.

With the widespread use of these drugs we see this as a tragic situation in our country and throughout the world today.

...............................................//.................................................................................

Oh my goodness . Why are doctors so thick!! What about professional development and education....oh yeah thats right its all paid for by pharma and they never talk about this stuff.

I highly rec abt i think she is one of the heroes for the cause right up there with Breggin, Gozstche, Healy, Shipko, Whittaker and Scott.

The only thing i am left with after listening to this wonderful informative history and biology and side effects drug talk is ....Anne ...How do i get off my antidepressants??

yes yes i know its a taper over a half or a third of time on the drug...but that is not specific enough and how do people who are not that good at high school maths do that!

Recovering paxil addict

I lol'd about your comment re. Doctors being thick..honestly..we have to try and piece the bits together with an impaired brain..they cannot even do that un medicated..yes..they cannot do their f@@@@ job properly.

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

Well that answered a whole lot of questions.  Thanks NZ11

Thanks. NZ !!.

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

L&L i feel the same way.

Brass and AliG ..you are welcome.yes i think abt was ahead of her time. Yet has the med profession listened...

Recovering paxil addict

Found this statement by Alto liked it wanted to save it before i forgot where i saw it.

dysfunctional homeostasis 

I would say, though, that the nervous system doesn't perceive the issue as an emergency, it just accommodates to the weirdness of withdrawal the way it has always accommodated to biochemical changes, by turning up some functions and turning down others.

I believe moving to a dysfunctional homeostasis can be a gradual process, accounting for the delay in withdrawal symptoms some people experience.

Recovering paxil addict

...and the gradual slide into poop out. For me it was more gradual than I realized looking back. It began with fatigue and mild anhedonia, then emotional volatility, and then a constant under tone of "fear" (not gonna say anxiety bc it felt different), and THEN the seemingly overnight drop into a pit of hell.

2 Timothy 1-7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

Effexor 75mg to 262.5mg 2005-2010 for post partum depression

Started having poop out mid 2010, also switched generic brands, then crashed in Dec 2010 (anxiety/ "terror", intense DR, anhedonia, suicidal ideation, chills, insomnia, horrible intrusive thoughts, disorientation, ect)
Rapid "tapered" from 262.5mg Effexor in 3 months

Tried Celexa,Cipralex, then Paxil to deal with wd(this switching made things worse and added akathesia)

Found online support and started tapering Paxil 7 months after quitting Effexor (at this point was having small windows).

Paxil taper: dropped 10% every 4-8 weeks

Year 1 October 2011 to Nov 2012 20mg to 10mg

Year 2 March 2013 to Feb 2014 10mg to 4mg

Year 3 April 2014 to May 2015 4mg to 1.1mg

Year 4 June 2015 1.1mg , dropping by 10% until .5mg, after then dropped by 0.1mg every 5 weeks until 0.1mg.

Finished! Official last dose of 0.1mg on June 15/16

Thanks for popping in and commenting on my thread aberdeen.  .

I think also think for some who feel they got off the drug in an ok state that the  cns can lie dormant for many months until it is loaded or put under minimal pressure and bang! Then a person goes to the doctor to get an answer for 'something is wrong with me' and big mistake because they are then pushed back onto the medicated trainwreck.

As Healy said in his 'protracted withdrawal'  2009 article exposure to these drugs can cause enduring problems. These problems can be hidden for a season or two.

I just want to put this link here the Healy article ..in acute wdl i went throught this with a highlighter highlighting any hope.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1454-dr-david-healy-on-prolonged-antidepressant-withdrawal-syndrome-2009/?p=13488

Question: In this article is Healy describing akathisia as 'Tardive Dysthymia' . It seems to me he is.

Are these two words interchangeable, one and the same?

Answer: Always read article.

First, it has been known since the 1960s when dependence on and withdrawal from antipsychotics was first outlined that in addition to classic states such as tardive dyskinesia that might be revealed by withdrawal, a variety of stress syndromes and persisting affective disturbances that have been termed tardive dysthymia, tardive akathisia and other tardive syndromes might also emerge.

Second, by the time enduring problems emerge after antidepressant discontinuation, the character of the initial problem has commonly changed. The initial problems often centre on phenomena that have been termed electric zaps, and electric head, but later these recede into the background and are replaced by a restless or dysphoric state consistent with a tardive dysthymia or tardive akathisia.

It should be noted that in addition to the abnormalities of sensation common in the initial phases, many of those affected complain of anxiety and depressive symptoms also. It may not be clear to patients or their doctors that these later onset depressive states are new developments, as they may often appear continuous with early onset withdrawal states and may even harder to distinguish from an original depression than the initial withdrawal state was.

Enduring states of this type can follow discontinuation from almost all antidepressants active on the serotonin system. The problem has not been as apparent on other antidepressants but this may reflect frequency of usage of SSRIs rather than anything else.

The problems appear more common in women than in men but this again may reflect frequency of usage.

The characteristic symptoms include “depression”, depersonalisation, agitation/akathisia, a generally labile state and stress intolerance.

Enduring problems can follow either abrupt or tapered discontinuation of treatment. One difficulty lies in knowing how common such states are.

A great number of individuals presenting to their doctors with these disorders are in all likelihood being told they have a recurrent affective disorder and are probably commonly being put back on an antidepressant. [This is Exactly!! what is happening].

Recovering paxil addict

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, N. Z

:)

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Seem to have an unsatiable appetite to read at the moment and have 5 books on the go at the same time.

i previously said i would start a book review of Anatomy of an epidemic (whittaker) but like pharmageddon (Healy) every sentence needs to be chewed over, thought about, lingered on and digested slowly even more so with that metahporical genius named Healy.

i think i should just do my best 5 points from each chapter or something like that.

Anyway one of the things i sometimes like to do is go to the writers source documents in the bibliography at the back, track em down and have a read.

Whittaker quotes Schuyler on page 153....

Dean Schuyler  head of the depression section at the NIMH explained in the 1974 book, spontaneous recovery rates were so high, exceeding 50% within a few months, that it was difficult to “judge the efficacy of a drug, a treatment  [electroshock], or psychotherapy in depressed patients.” ..... it would be difficult for any treatment to improve on the natural long-term course of depression.

Most depressive episodes, Schuyler explained, “will run their course and terminate with virtually complete recovery without specific intervention.”

I tracked down Schuyler’s 1974 book 'The Depressive Spectrum' through the library inta loan system (interesting, last time someone had this book out was in 2005) and am reading it at the moment. It’s all on page 47.

Another interesting point that’s on page 47 however, Whittaker didn’t mention it,  is Schuyler quotes Rennie (1942) [turning to the bibliography we get, Rennie, T. (1942). “Prognosis in manic depressive psychoses,” American Journal of psychiatry, 98:801.]

In referring to depressive states Rennie (1942) reported a 95% recovery rate prior to the advent of antidepressant drugs or ECT.

And this occurred with “a median duration of about six months.”

Let me just translate this, depression (whatever that is) has a 95% recovery rate within 6 months if a person is not assaulted (pharmceutical-ly or electrocuted-ly)

Rather damning indictment on the situation we have today isn’t it!

Cant remember where i found this quote from Rhi but i think i will just pop it in here:

Rhi said,

I didn't read the whole piece due to lack of time today, but I'm glad to see he's [shipko]talking about that thing where people can come off the med pretty well initially and then get hit with delayed withdrawal symptoms later-- I usually say three to nine months out, I notice he says three to twelve.

This is such a common experience (at least here on this board and I can't imagine it's not that way elsewhere) and it's usually the reason people end up back on the med merry-go-round, often for life.

I hate these drugs. Here we are, all of us, working on addressing and treating a disease condition that is created exclusively by "medicine".

If doctors had any idea how many of us no longer trust medicine or doctors and mistrust treatment for all conditions after having our lives destroyed by these drugs...Because that's an almost universal response that we see here, too.

....................'.............

Toxic psychiatry by Peter Breggin 1993,

Psychoanalysis is the form of psychotherapy founded and developed by Sigmund Freud and taught in his independently franchised psychoanalytic institutes. In the public’s mind, psychoanalysis is correctly associated with the couch, the notepad, and the silent listener. But psychoanalysis is often incorrectly equated with psychiatry. Contrary to popular belief, Freud was not the father of psychiatry. Psychiatry existed long before Freud, and has been largely hostile to his teachings. Freud did not become a psychiatrist, and he warned his colleagues to beware of the medical profession. Nonetheless, psychiatry took over and overwhelmed psychoanalysis in the United States. Very few psychiatrists have become psychoanalysts and psychoanalysis has very little influence on modern psychiatry.

(Page 2) [ i thought this was interesting]

Now check this out on page 20 of this book written by Breggin in 1993 he says this, [insert mine]

................................//

The Future

What will happen to the well-being and values of Americans if the 1990s become not the decade of the human spirit and the human community but the decade of the brain?

1. Parents and teachers increasingly will surrender their responsibility for the care and education of children to mental health professionals when problems arise at home or at school.

[Anyone heard of ADHD?, So far this year I’ve had two people tell me their children are ADHD… Why?... They got phone calls from the teacher at school suggesting so,… Had them checked out and sure enough they were ADHD!! As Alto says if you think you have a mental illness you will have no trouble finding someone to agree with you. Let’s not forget in 2015 Gotzsche Melbourne talk said this diagnosis comes about mainly from complaints by teachers].

1. Millions of children will end up on legal drugs or in psychiatric hospitals.
  2. Untold numbers of children and adults will be saddled with the false conviction that they have genetic defects and lifelong ‘crossed wires’ and ‘biochemical imbalances.’
  3. Innumerable adults with solvable personal problems will end up taking drugs, getting shock treatment, or being locked up in mental hospitals – or all three.
  4. Many millions of elderly people will be drugged and shocked into oblivion and hurried to a premature death, often while residing in nursing homes.
  5. Psychiatrists will make renewed calls for an increase in lobotomy and other forms of psychosurgery. ( on page 22 Breggin says this, in trying to understand psychiatry’s refusal to be accountable for the damaging effects of psychiatric brain surgery, I began to realise that lobotomy differs little in principle from the most potent psychiatric drugs and from electroshock. All of the major psychiatric treatments work by producing brain dysfunction, and too often they result in lobotomy like effects and permanent damage. I discovered that biopsychiatry resists criticism of any one of its theories and physical interventions because all of them rest upon the same flawed principles and harmful practices.
  6. Droves of homeless people will be corralled into revamped, but still dreadful, state mental hospitals.
  7. Organised psychiatry increasingly will become dominated by the interests of the multibillion-dollar pharmaceutical industry as the profession becomes wholly dependent on the drug companies for its survival.
  8. Several million more Americans will suffer permanent brain damage from psychiatric drugs and electroshock while the profession denies that it is happening.

In fact, all of these things are going on right now. Yet how could this happen with so little awareness on the public’s part? How can professionals devote themselves to such destructive programs with so little apparent concern for the truth or the rights and well-being of their patients?

.....................................//..........

Whittaker in ‘Psychiatry under the influence’ 2015 pg 164 ,

In 1987, there were 16,200 children who received an SSI payment because they were disabled by a mental disorder (this excluded mental retardation).

In 2011, there were 728,008 youth under age 18 who received an SSI payment because of a mental disorder.

Whittaker closes with, this data reveals a new career path for children and youth that has opened up in American society thanks to the DSM III era. Adult disability from chronic illness, which manifested early in their lives.

……………….//…………………

Breggin predicted all this over 20 years ago.

Bring back the couch that’s what I say. Bring back Freud! Is anyone listening to Breggin? Hellooo.

I was getting windows, then i got windows on my windows  but now at 4.75 yrs drug free i think i might be getting ranchsliders! 

Nz11

Recovering paxil addict

Thanks, N. Z

:)

Thanks for what ? Anyway you're welcome. ThankYOU for popping by.

Recovering paxil addict

That was vague. I think I had been up all night with no sleep , when I wrote that. I meant to say thank you for all the information, you post. It's always interesting and pertinent.