Alaskamom - Another, and hopefully final, try! Former PPer

alaskamom

I have been having a horrendous week.  With the latest drop, I have had a lot of depression and hopelessness, PMS from hell, agitation and brain fog.  Over the last month or so, I have fallen back into an old habit I have of picking and gnawing at my cuticles until they are painful and bleed :(  I want to stop doing this!  I did it for years, then it stopped during Paxil times, and then resumes during stressful times.

Unfortunately, my 13 year old has acquired the habit too.  She is a nervous wreck, anxious and high-strung in general.  Of course, it drives me bonkers when she does it though!

So, remember the car my DH bought off Craigslist sight unseen?  Well, it's just a mess.  Had a radiator leak, along with the electrical problem.  Now has an oil leak.  We've put nearly $1000 into it (paid $6000 for it), and DH has finally decided to trade it in and stop the flow of cash rushing from our house.  I am happy about this because the car is so undependable and the roads here are terrible, but it will put us into a more expensive car.  We can't sell it to an individual as it has so many problems; feel a dealership is better equipped to handle it and the repairs, etc.  Don't want to put this on anyone else.  Oh, we've expended our liquid savings in our move here, so $ is tight.  We will get some reimbursed from the government, but not enough.  I never realize how much finances impact my mood until it is payday or we are better off and the weight is lifted.  So, guess what my morning dread/freak out session was about....  the car.

Oh and my 13-year-old who has retreated into an online presence in every way, vanishing into her room, to only reappear for food and to go places.  I think that's how a lot of teens do it, but not here.  I cringe at what she is watching/listening/doing in there, so I had to take the phone and ipod away for now until she returns to planet earth and her family.  I was totally not up for this battle considering the state of things and my mind, but...

My DH has been stressed out in his month here too, so we are not connecting the way we should, and weekends find us at each other's throats.  We hardly have time to discuss anything, and resort to texting or emailing to discuss anything big.

Sinus infections continues on, so I am dizzy and foggy-headed from that too.  At least the taper consequences should get better in the next week or two.  Our finances should improve too as payday is looming in a week, along with the moving reimbursement from the government.  The car will be traded by then too.

The blessings:  I do not have an anxiety attack going, I am not agoraphobic at the moment, I am healthy, I have a nice home and everything I need, I have 3 healthy kids, I have a good husband.

Now I will quit complaining.

1998- Began taking 20 mg. of Paxil for homesickness 2001-CT and crash/hospitalized 1 week for anxiety. Tried quitting, changing to other ADs, gave up. 2014 -Weaned @ 10% every 4 weeks. Latest 5-14 11.7 mg., 6-14 10.5 mg., 8-21 9.5 mg., 9-17 7.7 mg.,10-14 6.9 mg., 11-14 6.2 mg., 12-14 5.6 mg., 1-15 5.0 mg. 2-15 4.5 mg. (miscalculated may actually be 3.3), up-dosed to 3.7 3-17-15. Hydroxyzine HCl 25 mg. as needed (antihistamine) for anxiety.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alaskamom

• brassmonkey

• aberdeen

• Ever

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi alaskamom, I'm sorry about your horrendous week, it sounds like it was very stressful.  But I do love your attitude of gratitude at the end, its so important to be able to see the good in our lives along side the challenges, sometimes withdrawal makes this difficult.

Now that you are getting lower in your dose, it sounds like you may be experiencing some increase in symptoms, this can often happen.  Sometimes reducing the percentage of your cuts can solve this problem.  Here is some information about how to do this:

Micro-taper instead of 10% or 5% decreases
Decreasing your dosage by very tiny amounts more often might be more tolerable than 5% or 10% decreases. Know your symptom pattern first so you can estimate how often you can reduce.

Its something to think about anyway.  I hope next week is better :)

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Mentor

Thanks Brassmonkey!  I think there needs to be a support hotline for this sort of thing.  I ended up gushing about my problems to the grocery store clerk who tried to offer help.  I made it through.  Just waiting for everyone to arrive now.

hahah I told my whole life story to a person walking her dog.... oh damn  :)

1992 Dothiepin 375mg 8 weeks, exhaustion/depression.  Serotonin syndrome, oh yes!  seizures . Fell pregnant, 3rd baby, Nitrous Oxide, 3 weeks mental hospital pp psychosis. zoloft tegretol.

Feb 1996 ct tegretol, tapered Zoloft 8 weeks. as (unexpectedly)  pregnant. Steven died after 3 days.(Zolft HLHS baby).  98 had run in with Paxil, 2 tablets, 3 weeks taper, survived.
2005..menopause? exhausted again. Zyprexa, mad in three days, fallout....  Seroquel, Effexor, tegretol,   and 8 years of self destruction. Failed taper.
Damn 1/4 valium... nuts again! .fallout, zoloft 100mg  seroquol 400mg mirtazapine 45 mg  tegretol 400mg.  Mid 14 3 month taper. Nov 14 CRASH.
Mid 15 ....   75mg  seroquel,  3 x 1800mg SJW  2 week window end of December followed by 6 week wave
5/2 68mg seroquel, 2.5 x 1800mg SJW::::20/2 61mg seroquel, 2.5 x  SJW::: 26/2 54mg seroquel, 2 x SJW::::21/3 43mg seroquel, 1 x 2700SJW :::: 23/4 36mg seroquel 1 x 1800 SJW
15/5 33mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::   28/5 30mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::;  18/6 25mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::::, 11/7 21mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::, 26/7 18mg seroquel 1/2 SJW:::, 9/8 12mg seroquel :::, 16/8 6mg seroquel ;;;;, 12/9 0 jump.

23/9  3mg.....,  27/9 0mg.  Reinstated, 6mg, then 12mg.............  LIGHTBULB MOMENT,  I have  MTHFR 2x mutations.  CFS and issues with MOULD in my home. So I left home, and working 150km away during week, loving it.

Oh was hard, panic attacks first week, gone now, along with the mould issues.

• Mentor

I have been having a horrendous week.  With the latest drop, I have had a lot of depression and hopelessness, PMS from hell, agitation and brain fog.  Over the last month or so, I have fallen back into an old habit I have of picking and gnawing at my cuticles until they are painful and bleed :(  I want to stop doing this!  I did it for years, then it stopped during Paxil times, and then resumes during stressful times.

Unfortunately, my 13 year old has acquired the habit too.  She is a nervous wreck, anxious and high-strung in general.  Of course, it drives me bonkers when she does it though!

So, remember the car my DH bought off Craigslist sight unseen?  Well, it's just a mess.  Had a radiator leak, along with the electrical problem.  Now has an oil leak.  We've put nearly $1000 into it (paid $6000 for it), and DH has finally decided to trade it in and stop the flow of cash rushing from our house.  I am happy about this because the car is so undependable and the roads here are terrible, but it will put us into a more expensive car.  We can't sell it to an individual as it has so many problems; feel a dealership is better equipped to handle it and the repairs, etc.  Don't want to put this on anyone else.  Oh, we've expended our liquid savings in our move here, so $ is tight.  We will get some reimbursed from the government, but not enough.  I never realize how much finances impact my mood until it is payday or we are better off and the weight is lifted.  So, guess what my morning dread/freak out session was about....  the car.

Oh and my 13-year-old who has retreated into an online presence in every way, vanishing into her room, to only reappear for food and to go places.  I think that's how a lot of teens do it, but not here.  I cringe at what she is watching/listening/doing in there, so I had to take the phone and ipod away for now until she returns to planet earth and her family.  I was totally not up for this battle considering the state of things and my mind, but...

My DH has been stressed out in his month here too, so we are not connecting the way we should, and weekends find us at each other's throats.  We hardly have time to discuss anything, and resort to texting or emailing to discuss anything big.

Sinus infections continues on, so I am dizzy and foggy-headed from that too.  At least the taper consequences should get better in the next week or two.  Our finances should improve too as payday is looming in a week, along with the moving reimbursement from the government.  The car will be traded by then too.

The blessings:  I do not have an anxiety attack going, I am not agoraphobic at the moment, I am healthy, I have a nice home and everything I need, I have 3 healthy kids, I have a good husband.

Now I will quit complaining.

haha just sounds like a normal 13 year old girl, dont stress.  Mine was horrific, and now she is my best friend......  dont try and be friends when they are 13, just cope with it, the stress, believe me you will both be laughing later... Hormones, tis all.

1992 Dothiepin 375mg 8 weeks, exhaustion/depression.  Serotonin syndrome, oh yes!  seizures . Fell pregnant, 3rd baby, Nitrous Oxide, 3 weeks mental hospital pp psychosis. zoloft tegretol.

Feb 1996 ct tegretol, tapered Zoloft 8 weeks. as (unexpectedly)  pregnant. Steven died after 3 days.(Zolft HLHS baby).  98 had run in with Paxil, 2 tablets, 3 weeks taper, survived.
2005..menopause? exhausted again. Zyprexa, mad in three days, fallout....  Seroquel, Effexor, tegretol,   and 8 years of self destruction. Failed taper.
Damn 1/4 valium... nuts again! .fallout, zoloft 100mg  seroquol 400mg mirtazapine 45 mg  tegretol 400mg.  Mid 14 3 month taper. Nov 14 CRASH.
Mid 15 ....   75mg  seroquel,  3 x 1800mg SJW  2 week window end of December followed by 6 week wave
5/2 68mg seroquel, 2.5 x 1800mg SJW::::20/2 61mg seroquel, 2.5 x  SJW::: 26/2 54mg seroquel, 2 x SJW::::21/3 43mg seroquel, 1 x 2700SJW :::: 23/4 36mg seroquel 1 x 1800 SJW
15/5 33mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::   28/5 30mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::;  18/6 25mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::::, 11/7 21mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::, 26/7 18mg seroquel 1/2 SJW:::, 9/8 12mg seroquel :::, 16/8 6mg seroquel ;;;;, 12/9 0 jump.

23/9  3mg.....,  27/9 0mg.  Reinstated, 6mg, then 12mg.............  LIGHTBULB MOMENT,  I have  MTHFR 2x mutations.  CFS and issues with MOULD in my home. So I left home, and working 150km away during week, loving it.

• Mentor

Alaskamom, hope I am helping here.  My daughter had horrible friends, she had a stressful time growing up. (long story)..... I just laid down rules, she kept breaking them.  The advice, keep laying down the rules, she will keep breaking them......the teachers wanted me to move her to another school, I refused, because whatever she was seeking in her friends, she would just find in a new school.  Trust them, they are resilient.  One day, at the door, with the policeman and one of her friends, she just said   ""oh mum says I can't go"   like wow... eventually they can use your forever broken rules, to get themselves out of a tricky situation.....

I love her to bits she is now a very resilient 30 year old, and damn none of her kids all five of them, are on these evil drugs.  Despite two being apparently ""autistic" gives more funding for the school....and one she was told she had to terminate, as it would never be able to feed itself (scan).. well little Annie is alive and well, and top of her class.

Anyway, dont worry, kids are resilient.  I worry about my 17 year old, having to look at my miserable face every day  :(    Thinking about my daughter now, and memories, has brightened my day.... thankyou

• Mentor

And well done!

Thanks, Ang!  I am sure she is already planning her therapy to get over her years with me ruining her life :-/  I feel guilty whenever I have to make them behave.  I wonder if all moms do??  My 13 year old is the middle child and totally different than my eldest.  My eldest is easygoing, nonconfrontational, reasonable.  She has her moments, but nothing like the 13 year old!  I suppose the middle one had to be the opposite!  My youngest is totally different than the other two and is lazzzy and drives me nuts with her lack of motivation.  Rough days.

1998- Began taking 20 mg. of Paxil for homesickness 2001-CT and crash/hospitalized 1 week for anxiety. Tried quitting, changing to other ADs, gave up. 2014 -Weaned @ 10% every 4 weeks. Latest 5-14 11.7 mg., 6-14 10.5 mg., 8-21 9.5 mg., 9-17 7.7 mg.,10-14 6.9 mg., 11-14 6.2 mg., 12-14 5.6 mg., 1-15 5.0 mg. 2-15 4.5 mg. (miscalculated may actually be 3.3), up-dosed to 3.7 3-17-15. Hydroxyzine HCl 25 mg. as needed (antihistamine) for anxiety.

Does anyone else have a hard time deciding if they are physically sick (with a bold or whatever) vs. having withdrawal symptoms?  I've had a sinus infection for weeks, no progress, even with an antibiotic.  Dizzy, lightheaded, tons of drainage, nausea.  Now I am having crying spells, feel weak, emotional, angry.  This is lasting so long I am worried I have a tumor in my sinuses.  Keep waiting for it to go away, but it won't.

Also, this last taper, I had to cut up a new batch of Paxil pills that were a different shape and probably a different manufacturer.  I mixed the new ones in with the old so I could get accustomed to it, as the only ones I have going forward are the new shape/manufacturer.  Will I get adjusted to this?

Feeling hopeless and suicidal thoughts at times....

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Alaskamom

Yes I sometimes have difficulty distinguishing wd from physical sickness. If I get sick soon after a drop I usually put it down to that.

I have found it more difficult at the lower doses, compounding that with a change in pill has obviously disturbed your system. This will pass. I think you should consider smaller doses and perhaps longer holds in between. It's difficult when you can see the finish line as such but you want to get there in the best shape.

Although we are poles apart (pardon the pun), I wish you well. May this pass soon

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

You made a huge location change just a few weeks ago, it is quite possible that there is a reaction going on to the new local.  Different trees, house, city, it can all throw your sinuses out of whack.  Plus sinus problems are a symptom of WD.  Like everything else we get involved with around here, give it some time and it will sort itself out.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

You are a fantastic mom, my friend has teens and would never haul her teens ass out of his room like that and it is EXACTLY what he needs, good for you. I battle constantly with my confrontational 10 yr old son and the computer, omg. I feel for ya there.Be careful with the different pills, I know it can make a difference...maybe why the depression ect?? I wouldnt rule it out, its happened to me before. Hang in there, youre doing great!

2 Timothy 1-7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

Effexor 75mg to 262.5mg 2005-2010 for post partum depression

Started having poop out mid 2010, also switched generic brands, then crashed in Dec 2010 (anxiety/ "terror", intense DR, anhedonia, suicidal ideation, chills, insomnia, horrible intrusive thoughts, disorientation, ect)
Rapid "tapered" from 262.5mg Effexor in 3 months

Tried Celexa,Cipralex, then Paxil to deal with wd(this switching made things worse and added akathesia)

Found online support and started tapering Paxil 7 months after quitting Effexor (at this point was having small windows).

Paxil taper: dropped 10% every 4-8 weeks

Year 1 October 2011 to Nov 2012 20mg to 10mg

Year 2 March 2013 to Feb 2014 10mg to 4mg

Year 3 April 2014 to May 2015 4mg to 1.1mg

Year 4 June 2015 1.1mg , dropping by 10% until .5mg, after then dropped by 0.1mg every 5 weeks until 0.1mg.

Finished! Official last dose of 0.1mg on June 15/16

Sometimes I wish we hadn't bought any electronics at all, as all I get to do is take them away, hide them, or change social media passwords for a virtual "grounding!"  When I do, they actually read books, act nicer, etc....  What was I thinking?

So, I am going off my B12 injections this week.  I am tired of sleeping restlessly, being super-energetic, edgy, etc.  I did sleep well and deeply for the first time last night, in a long time; however, when I woke up, it was with a start and worse dread/panic than ever.  Talk about a trade-off!  Anyhow, I am tired of the hyperness, etc., and I figure being on a lower dose of Paxil naturally gives me more energy (mostly) so we'll see.

Unfortunately, the sinus problem continues.  I am almost done with the antibiotic, but I am still dizzy, nauseous, weak, weepy, feeling bad.  When I move my head certain ways, I get dizzy and am often muddled and confused.  I have this unreasonable terror that it is a sinus tumor.  My MIL died from one last year and it was awful.  Ironically, that fear was vacillating between suicidal feelings too!

Fortunately, I did have a window of feeling somewhat better, than felt bad again.  I also worry I messed up my pill cutting last time I did my month's worth.  Maybe I should remeasure?  Since we live in the city now, I think I will take the whole dang batch to the compounding pharmacy next month and have them do it.

My middle daughter, my strong-willed one, seems to have the sinus virus or whatever that I started with a month ago.  Sad for her, but maybe it minimizes the chances this is a tumor and is just a long virus.

On a positive note, we rescued a wonderful lab this weekend.  His name is Roy and he is 5.  He is an absolute joy and takes my mind off things.  DH thrilled to have another male in the house.  He is well-mannered, no accidents, or bad behaviors PTL.

post-3967-0-47023800-1422293324_thumb.jpg

Seems a right handsome gent!

Since you are getting into the low doses where measuring is more critical, a compounding pharmacy might be a very good idea. Also, be sure and let us know if stopping the B12 causes any change. Why are you taking it? Are you taking anything else that is not noted in your signature?

I see your concern about the sinus symptoms. All I know is that my head was very affected in early protracted wd: I was stuffed up, I lost my sense of smell and taste, breathing through my nose (when it was clear) felt like I was breathing fire, I had popping sounds in my ears. In fact my initial symptoms were misdiagnosed by my doc as a sinus problem and he suggested I take atarax, a rx antihistamine, which was the worst thing I could have done. It threw me over the edge into wd. It all went away and came back at various times in wd. I just suffered through it till it went away.

Edit: I want back and read your first post and I see you have indeed been taking something: "with some help from a super-antihistamine that helps calm me down when my body freaks out." Would you please note that in your signature? That definitely makes a difference in how you might react to decreasing doses of drugs and your 'sinus' symptoms can get worse do to a 'rebound' effect if you don't take it.

Edited by cymbaltawithdrawal5600

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

Roy is adorable , awwwww :wub:  

and Im sure its not a tumour!!

2 Timothy 1-7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

Started having poop out mid 2010, also switched generic brands, then crashed in Dec 2010 (anxiety/ "terror", intense DR, anhedonia, suicidal ideation, chills, insomnia, horrible intrusive thoughts, disorientation, ect)

Tried Celexa,Cipralex, then Paxil to deal with wd(this switching made things worse and added akathesia)

Found online support and started tapering Paxil 7 months after quitting Effexor (at this point was having small windows).

Year 4 June 2015 1.1mg , dropping by 10% until .5mg, after then dropped by 0.1mg every 5 weeks until 0.1mg.

Dog energy is very healing (pun intended) it is good for all aspects of your life.

((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

awwww - Roy sounds lovely.   I remember telling the doctor that the anti-histamine had made me much much worse.   He said that was impossible.   I now know why.   sigh.....   Glad all that is past for me now - my sinuses are pretty good these days.   alaskamom - please look into probiotics - those antibiotics wreak havoc - they caused me to get Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - took me years and years to beat it. 

Put on Prothiaden for severe depression in 1989.  Recovered.   Prescribed Paxil for another bout of depression around 2000.   Have been trying to taper ever since but always crash about 2 months after getting to zero.   Because of the crashes, for years I thought that there was something wrong with me.   Then found that the crashes were simply withdrawal.   Now following a maximum of a 10% reduction every month or so and ready to slow down any time I feel any symptoms whatsoever.  Feeling good:).

7th Jan 15 - 3.6mg

28th Jan 15 - 3.2mg

Cymbaltawithdrawal, I began the B12 a year ago after seeing a naturopath for fatigue and hormonal stuff. I wasn't actively tapering and had no idea what was going on. Hadn't joined PP or this board yet. I was sooooo tired and living on caffeine. She wanted to boost energy level. It helped along with bio identical hormones. Once I began tapering, the energy problem was fixed. Almost too much so! I was scared to change anything so I kept taking the shots. Now I am hyper/borderline anxious/restless/not sleeping well, so I am stopping. I worry I will be super tired again like a slug but I am tired of being on edge and a mess.

What did Atarax do? The doc also gave me a steroid nasal spray I used for a bit until it made me eat like a horse, sweat like a pig and shriek like a shrew. The antihistamine is Vistaril /hydroxyzine Hcl. A couple years ago, I landed in ER after having an anxiety attack for two weeks and my pdoc gave me this as needed to calm down. I rarely use it. Only when desperate and mostly 1/4 to 1/2 tab. It is no addictive.

I had no idea this head stuff could be withdrawal!

Forced myself to workout yesterday after being off 4-5 days for sickness. Began Insanity:Max30 with my eldest daughter. It's -34 here so we are trying to stay home and missed Zumba. I was dizzy and weak but I kept moving and it did elevate my mood a bit. Roy also kept us distracted with wanting lots of ball, snacks,and belly rubs.

Brass monkey, doggie therapy is the best!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi A.M.

I saw your post in another thread and replied to it there, but in order to not derail that topic, I wanted to bring my reply back over here in case you want to discuss it further.  Here's the quote of your post and my reply:

alaskamom, on 26 Jan 2015 - 09:17 AM, said:snapback.png

Well, managed to sleep well and deeply last night, but noticed when I awoke my dread/panic was worse than ever before  :(  DH says maybe I just can't get off this drug ever...

Usually this means you're going too fast and need to take a nice long hold. If you're having symptoms, don't cut again until things have settled down and been pretty good for a couple of weeks.

Holds are important; our bodies heal at their own pace, and often if we are cutting on a schedule, we get ahead of our body's ability to heal.  (You wouldn't tell a broken bone that it had to heal by exactly 10% every four weeks, right? You let it heal how it heals.)

A hold allows your healing to catch up with the tapering you've already done.

But that's getting away from the subject of this thread. I'll copy and repost this over in your thread so if you want to continue on this subject we can do it there.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Rhi, this is a good reminder. The dizziness, etc. has been coming and going, rather than just staying around. I hope it means I am stabilizing, but worried it is the new "shape" of Paxil I have and I won't tolerate it well. I hate to slow the taper as I feel I am losing somehow.... Don't want to feel bad and make my poor family suffer though. Maybe try another week or two on this dose :(

No B12 for a week... Sleeping a bit better, reduced morning dread. Energy level good. I will have to wait and see if energy holds when my hormones drop two weeks into my cycle when I feel like the walking dead. Feel like an addict with the B12. Love the energy, hate the edginess....

oops double post

Hi AM--  according to the charts 5mg and below is the area where the smallest change in dose makes the biggest change in the drugs effectiveness.  It is actually proactive to start making smaller changes now, taking charge of the situation not being controlled by it.  Give each dose it's full 4-6 weeks too you're getting too close to rush things now.  Glad to hear that ditching the B12 is making you feel better.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))))))))))

• Moderator Emeritus

Rhi, this is a good reminder. The dizziness, etc. has been coming and going, rather than just staying around. I hope it means I am stabilizing, but worried it is the new "shape" of Paxil I have and I won't tolerate it well. I hate to slow the taper as I feel I am losing somehow.... Don't want to feel bad and make my poor family suffer though. Maybe try another week or two on this dose :(

Yep, people often have that "going slower is losing" feeling issue. I can relate. It took me a long time to wrap my mind around the necessity (and advantages) of tapering slowly. 

You have to get past that if you want to actually get off these meds. Going at the pace your body can handle is the only way to win, and we don't get to pick that speed arbitrarily or based on some formula. Only your body knows what it is. Your body knows what it can and can't handle, and how much time it needs. Your body is the four billion year old doctor, the only real expert here, and the only way to "win" is to listen to it and work with it so you can actually really get off these meds for real without crashing and burning.

The great thing is, as you get to lower doses, the drugs will be affecting you less, so you don't have to wait until you're off them to get most of yourself and your life back. Try focusing less on the "end goal" and more on the goal of good quality of life, enjoying your family, enjoying yourself here and now.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

alaskamom - please please heed Rhi's advice.   I have learnt the hard way.   I've just lost at least six months time by going too fast and having to re-instate.   It's hard to get your head around going slower and with MUCH smaller drops, but please please do that.    You don't want to waste all your hard work getting this far only to have to go backwards and start all over again.  Or perhaps get worse! 

I'm now down to 3.2mg and I have to keep getting my head around the fact that it just may take another 4 years to get off.  Maybe not - but I'm no longer going to risk going backwards.   And meanwhile, I'm feeling great!  So who cares if it takes longer.  

lotslove XXXXXX

Put on Prothiaden for severe depression in 1989.  Recovered.   Prescribed Paxil for another bout of depression around 2000.   Have been trying to taper ever since but always crash about 2 months after getting to zero.   Because of the crashes, for years I thought that there was something wrong with me.   Then found that the crashes were simply withdrawal.   Now following a maximum of a 10% reduction every month or so and ready to slow down any time I feel any symptoms whatsoever.  Feeling good:).

7th Jan 15 - 3.6mg

28th Jan 15 - 3.2mg

I slept well last night! Yay! B12 must be gone, but I am groggy and sleepy today. Guess my body will adjust to that too eventually. Craving the caffeine. Rather have that than super hyper ness you can't get rid of!

Well, my sinus thing/withdrawal head is back. Dizzy, eyes won't focus at times, vertigo, can't read at times, feels like my brain is slipping around in there. No pain or anxiety, but it is slowing me down and I can't work out which bums me out.

Drinking Shakeology as it has probiotics and prebiotics to help me recover from the antibiotic.

Nice Sunday. Chilling and watching the Kitten Bowl and Super Bowl.

Note: will slow this taper and take a couple more weeks at this dose. Brain needs time to catch up!

Very glad you're going to slow it alaskamom.   :)   Good one!

7th Jan 15 - 3.6mg

28th Jan 15 - 3.2mg

Well, my sinus thing/withdrawal head is back. Dizzy, eyes won't focus at times, vertigo, can't read at times, feels like my brain is slipping around in there. No pain or anxiety, but it is slowing me down and I can't work out which bums me out.

This, a million times! I have had ongoing sinus problems because of a badly deviated septum and mixed with paxil WD it is exactly this, also the unconfortability of suddenly turning my head too. I've just went through surgery last week. I wish I were already fully healthy but I guess recovery just doesn't happen instantly.

Do you know if antihistaminics worsen this symptoms? I'm questioning whether I should stop clorphenamine or not.

Huge props for that wild minion avatar. The bad mood, the unfocused look, the wrecked mouth, both arms hanging low, almost as if they were dead weight... that is how a bad WD day feels like.

Name LostInTheWoods evokes both the feeling of getting stranded, forsaken and alone in an alien, hostile environment and the chance to experience awareness, tranquility and self-discovery during the experience. Just call me Lost in the posts.

February 2012. After a crisis, a crippling anxiety that culminated in a panic attack. Started 20 mg Paxil and Clonazepam.

Clonazepam left quickly in the 2nd attempt.

About about a year on 20 mg, begin tapering.

June 2014, after several weeks on 5 mg and trying to dose down, went CT.

May 2015.Anxiety came back again, went to psychiatrist back. Fluoxetine was tried and left because of bad reaction, returned to paroxetine. Start tapering in mid 2016.

December 2016. After like 2 months of going 2,5 mg, stopped paroxetine.

Truth to be told, descended into a downward spiral of caffeine, alcohol and masturbation.

January  26, 2017. Wave with some tinnitus that was fixed by a visit to the ENT.

April 21, 2017. Acid reflux at night was a stressor that triggered another wave.Vices have been put into check and only a drink or two a week remain.

By May 7 stabilized with a little anxiety left and some pains.

Lostinthewoods, I've been on antihistamines for years - maybe 20 or more?? and they just don't seem to be working anymore.  I've done it all:  allergy tests, meds (bleck), netipot, nasal sprays, steam, hot compress, SeaBands for nausea, motion sickness meds, etc....  Haven't heard of clorphenamine...  I've taken Claritin/Zyrtec/Allergra and then Benadryl, as well as Singulair which blocks the response differently.  I take a super antihistamine at times for anxiety called Hydroxyzine HCL which chills you out/makes you sleepy.  It helps with the withdrawal symptoms.  Not sure if this would be the same for clorphenamine, but maybe if it is the same class??  

Yes, the purple minion is me on Paxil or in withdrawal.  I totally look like that sometimes :)

Finally went to the doc again yesterday as my antibiotic and treatment haven't helped with the sinus/head pain.  Getting a CT scan on Monday.  Hopefully, it will put my mind at ease that it is not a tumor and just whacked sinuses.  I would do just about anything to not be dizzy and sick.  What surgery did you have?  They are talking abut scoping my sinuses...

I know withdrawal messes with this too which complicates it, but I will not tell the docs anything about that as they will think I am nuts.

BTW, felt better for 3 days, then the next day felt as bad as I did when I went to the ER for pain - back to ground zero.

Want to work out, but the dizziness makes me trip and fall over, etc....  I may do some yoga, unless it makes my head hurt more.  Dumb doc I saw yesterday just shared an anecdotal story about his sinuses for a few months upsetting him and doesn't realize I am a veteran of the sinus wars and this is beyond your typical head cold.  My vision is blurry at times and I can't read sometimes.  Oh well.

-44 today here!  Took the girls to volleyball games (yes, they hold them to -60 below!) and need to spend some time lesson planning for the week, as well as facing our taxes.

Oh, interesting experiments going on here.   Few nights ago, took two Magnesium capsules at bedtime and slept soundly, woke up at 5, but had less of my morning freakout/dread at 5 am.  No grogginess, etc.  Last night, I didn't take any Magnesium until my 4 am wake-up/begin freakout.  Laid down and rested for a little bit and actually FELL ASLEEP until 7 am and awoke without morning dread/freakout!

This may not sound like a big deal, but when I wake at 4 or 5 am, I have to stay up or if I fall back asleep, my morning dread/anxiety is worse than ever.  So, I get up and get moving and end up being ready for bed at 7 or 8 pm - which is not great for the family or DH.

Sleeping until 7 am let me get a little more under my belt, so I can stay up later, and I did not have my morning terrors!

Will try to recreate this tomorrow morning!  Excited.

Magnesium is good stuff alaskamom.  Fingers crossed for you.

7th Jan 15 - 3.6mg

28th Jan 15 - 3.2mg

So - epic fail on the magnesium front.  Can it make you as mean as a snake?  Well, something did this weekend...  So I discontinued last night.  Had the morning dread and woke every couple hours, but refrained from feeling murderous toward my DH and everyone else.

Did have some fun visitors to the yard this weekend.  It's been -44, so we have two moose that have moved into the neighborhood - dining on our trees and shrubs....

post-3967-0-43919500-1423508797_thumb.jpg

post-3967-0-18326400-1423508807_thumb.jpg

awwwww - cooooool moose!   How awesome to have in your backyard Alaskamom!

Gosh - that sounds weird about the magnesium - what sort Is it?  Anything else in it?

7th Jan 15 - 3.6mg

28th Jan 15 - 3.2mg

I love that you have moose in your yard! People assume life is that way here because we live in Canada, but canada is big, there are no backyard mooses in my parts, and as far as I know i thought they were scared of us,lol. Sorry to hear about the experiment fail. Maybe it was a fluke and it will work. Dont give up! i know what morning dread is like, its awful....I hope it goes away for you soon. As you recover you wuill find this improves...i had it really strong for many months after my crash off effexor and attempts to try other ad's. I thought it might be from my paxil taperin but it wasnt...because now that Im in the lower doses, where people tend to have more trouble...my morning dread is almost non existant...and when its gets "bad" its still nothing like it was...basically its been improving the further away i get from those crashes/switches. It will pass.