Tips for tapering off Prozac (fluoxetine)

Altostrata

One general question in Fluoxetine capsule using my dosing as an example:

I take 7mg Fluoxetine per day. Using a digital scale I have determined the average weight of each 10mg capsule and the average weight of the powder. I get to the correct dosage by removing contents of the capsule and weighing.

The question is there any reason to suspect that the active ingredient fluoxetine is not evenly distributed throughout the inactive ingredients I.e could the fluoxetine be concentrated at one end of the capsule or the other)

On and off antidepressants since 1989. (Prozac, Celexa, Lexepro, Wellbutrin, Paxil, Cymbalta

2017 40mg Fluoxetine (2017-19 started taper but don’t recall specifics but prob. 10mg per drop with several months hold)

2019 —->10mg every other day (ave 5mg/day)

October 2021 increased dose to (7.5mg/day ave.)

January 18, 2022—> 7m Feb 5, 2022 —> 6.8mg, March 21 —> 6.46mg July 23, 2022—> 6.14mg (fluoxetine) ~August 1 2022 started 2.5mg melatonin per night October 2022 —> 6mg (fluoxetine)

Current meds/otc

Fluoxetine 6.0 mg/day, Atorvastatin  40mg/day, Vit C 500mg, Melatonin 2.5mg/night

When I was using capsules I would empty out 10 of them, weigh the total and divide by 10. 

I could then work out the amount needed for each capsule; you could of course mix the bulk first

2003/7 (at age 52)        Prozac 20mg. For chronic fatigue syndrome.    2007/10    20mg citalopram, 2010/11 Cold Turkey citalopram Severe withdrawal,  2011  back on citalopram 10mg, 2014  Discontinued Citalopram over a month period

2014/15                       Suffered severe withdrawal and was prescribed Prozac 20mg, 2017/18 After research I decided that I have never had such severe mental illness, only withdrawal

2017/20                       Various failed attempts to ‘taper’ (missing doses), 2020 Sept 16th started a 5% taper using mini scales, 2020 Nov Ended taper Back on 20mg Prozac

2021 Nov 24               Reduced to 19mg Prozac  from starting dose of 20mg (5% reduction) 2022 Jan 3rd              Reduced to 18mg Prozac (5.26% reduction)

2022 Feb 27th            Reduced to 17.2mg Prozac (4.44% reduction)

2022 Mar 12th            Reduced to 16.8mg Easier to read on Syringe 

2022 Jun 15               16mg  4.76% reduction

2023 Mar 29th          Reduced to 15.5mg

Hand on heart, "Personally I have never heard of anyone suffering withdrawal from Prozac" Dr P

Good idea. Thanks Vincent.

On and off antidepressants since 1989. (Prozac, Celexa, Lexepro, Wellbutrin, Paxil, Cymbalta

2017 40mg Fluoxetine (2017-19 started taper but don’t recall specifics but prob. 10mg per drop with several months hold)

January 18, 2022—> 7m Feb 5, 2022 —> 6.8mg, March 21 —> 6.46mg July 23, 2022—> 6.14mg (fluoxetine) ~August 1 2022 started 2.5mg melatonin per night October 2022 —> 6mg (fluoxetine)

Current meds/otc

Fluoxetine 6.0 mg/day, Atorvastatin  40mg/day, Vit C 500mg, Melatonin 2.5mg/night

• Moderator Emeritus
3 hours ago, vincent said:

When I was using capsules I would empty out 10 of them, weigh the total and divide by 10. 

I could then work out the amount needed for each capsule; you could of course mix the bulk first

@Shmalan

This is what Brassmonkey did.  He had a "stockpile" of powder.  It is discussed in this topic:

using-a-scale-to-weigh-and-measure-doses

A search for "stock" in the above topic brought up these posts:

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/search/?q=stock&quick=1&type=forums_topic&item=1596

Edited by ChessieCat

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

@ChessieCat

Thanks for the link. This is what I am going to do. 

Current meds/otc

• 1 month later...

So, I've been pouring my 1 MG/1 ML solution into a different plastic container, and storing in a drawer in the bathroom. Not refrigerated. Is this acceptable or should it be in a cooler place?

June 1 - June 8 2020: 10 MG of Prozac for Panic Attacks * June 9 - July 25 2020: 20 MG of Prozac * July 26 2020 - April 7 2021: 30 MG of Prozac
April 8 2021 - May 8 2021: 20 MG Prozac * May 9 2021 - May 31 2021: 10 MG Prozac
June 1 2021 - July 30 2021: 0 MG, withdrawal symptoms of brain zaps, fatigue, bodyache, headache, and fresh anxiety attacks near the end of July.
August 1 2021 - 5 mg liquid prozac. Stabilized in November, had panic attacks and anxiety in December but tapered anyway. 

January 1 2022 - March 1 2022: 4.5 mg

March 2 - Nov 5 2022: 4.05 mg

Nov 6 2022 - December 15 2022: 4 mg in two syringes.

December 15 2022 - January 1 2023: Attempted Tapering by .01 mg every 3 days, had very bad WD and anxiety symptoms. 

January 1 2023 - May 31 2023: Reinstated to 4 mg in two syringes.  

June 2023 - Present: 4 mg in one syringe. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Q:  Is this a homemade liquid?  SA's recommendation is to store it in a covered container in the refrigerator.

Q:  If it is prescription liquid why are you putting it into a different container?

For storage of prescription liquid check the patient instructions or ask the pharmacist.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

It is not a homemade liquid, it's made from a compounding pharmacy. The attendant there told me this afternoon to keep the medicine at room temperature, so I'll continue to do that.

The medicine comes in a blue container with a very small opening. They also send me a syringe that fits only to a certain level. The other container I've been using has a wider mouth and allows for easier syringe pulls. 

Thank you!

June 1 - June 8 2020: 10 MG of Prozac for Panic Attacks * June 9 - July 25 2020: 20 MG of Prozac * July 26 2020 - April 7 2021: 30 MG of Prozac
April 8 2021 - May 8 2021: 20 MG Prozac * May 9 2021 - May 31 2021: 10 MG Prozac
June 1 2021 - July 30 2021: 0 MG, withdrawal symptoms of brain zaps, fatigue, bodyache, headache, and fresh anxiety attacks near the end of July.
August 1 2021 - 5 mg liquid prozac. Stabilized in November, had panic attacks and anxiety in December but tapered anyway. 

January 1 2022 - March 1 2022: 4.5 mg

March 2 - Nov 5 2022: 4.05 mg

Nov 6 2022 - December 15 2022: 4 mg in two syringes.

December 15 2022 - January 1 2023: Attempted Tapering by .01 mg every 3 days, had very bad WD and anxiety symptoms. 

January 1 2023 - May 31 2023: Reinstated to 4 mg in two syringes.  

June 2023 - Present: 4 mg in one syringe. 

• 8 months later...

@Altostrata. @ChessieCat hi, can you help me with a question? I’ve been crushing and weighing my Prozac tablets since sept 25th. I know the math to create the powder and weight each capsule. The question I have is how do I know there’s an equal distribution of filler and active med going into each capsule. There’s such a small amount of active med in each tablet based on the overall weight there’s no way to tell what’s what in the powder. Is it much better to make liquid or am I splitting hairs. I’m at 8-8.1 mgs and it’s a struggle finding stability. Been here for seven weeks now. Anxiety is strong. I’m holding for a long while until this levels off. Any wisdom you guys have is appreciated 

1993 started 20mg Prozac.

2008 switched to 10mg of lexapro.

2015 added 50mg of Wellbutrin. Between 2015 and 2020 raised and lowered dosage of both. 2021 moved to Zoloft for one month then back to lexapro for one month. Then switched to 60mg cymbalta for four months. Then Basically cold turkeyed off cymbalta in two weeks using Prozac as a crossover med to reduce withdrawals. Not good. Then had Nortriptylene added to Prozac. Was on 20mg Prozac and 50mg of Nortriptylene for four months. Then did a four month ween off Nortriptylene. To date have been off cymbalta for approximately 11 months and Nortriptylene 7 weeks.  Presently taking 12.5 mg Prozac. Also taking 10 mg of bystolic for BLood Pressure. I’m not sure how the Prozac makes me feel. It does nothing to make me feel not sad and anxious at times. I finally figured out the meds are not what I need. What I need is to get off the 12.5mg of Prozac and continue to work on my stuff. Any help is deeply appreciated thank you. Reduced from 12.5 to 10 then from 10 to 7.5. Too much of a drop. Bought a scale and went to 9. Stabilized and went to 8.2 oct 1, 2022. Just got hit with wicked low mood, high anxiety, fatigue, chills. The anxiety is high in the AM and  lessons throughout the day. Hoping to stabilize soon 

• Administrator

Don't worry about the filler. Using a liquid is easier and less prone to error than crushing and weighing tablets.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

My doc won’t give me liquid. Is making a liquid out of tablets ok? 

2015 added 50mg of Wellbutrin. Between 2015 and 2020 raised and lowered dosage of both. 2021 moved to Zoloft for one month then back to lexapro for one month. Then switched to 60mg cymbalta for four months. Then Basically cold turkeyed off cymbalta in two weeks using Prozac as a crossover med to reduce withdrawals. Not good. Then had Nortriptylene added to Prozac. Was on 20mg Prozac and 50mg of Nortriptylene for four months. Then did a four month ween off Nortriptylene. To date have been off cymbalta for approximately 11 months and Nortriptylene 7 weeks.  Presently taking 12.5 mg Prozac. Also taking 10 mg of bystolic for BLood Pressure. I’m not sure how the Prozac makes me feel. It does nothing to make me feel not sad and anxious at times. I finally figured out the meds are not what I need. What I need is to get off the 12.5mg of Prozac and continue to work on my stuff. Any help is deeply appreciated thank you. Reduced from 12.5 to 10 then from 10 to 7.5. Too much of a drop. Bought a scale and went to 9. Stabilized and went to 8.2 oct 1, 2022. Just got hit with wicked low mood, high anxiety, fatigue, chills. The anxiety is high in the AM and  lessons throughout the day. Hoping to stabilize soon 

• Moderator Emeritus

@Mezzer People have been making liquid with Prozac tablets and capsules for decades.  Please see Post #1 of this topic which has information about how to get non standard doses.

Does time frame of prozac matter if you want to taper it off? 

Or is it the same for someone who’s taken it for 10 years vs someone who’s been on it for 2.5 years?

February 2020 - 20MG Prozac
April 2020 - 40 MG Prozac
2021 - 60 MG Prozac

July 2021 - 40 MG Prozac

August 2022 - 20MG (Self tapered)

November 2022 - 40 MG (Careful taper begins..)

• Moderator Emeritus

Having been on the drug for 2.5 years will necessitate SA's taper rate of no more than 10% reduction of current dose, not starting dose, with a hold of at least 4 weeks definitely and generally applies to anyone who has taken the drug for 6 months or longer.  Even a person who has only taken the drug for 4 months might need to follow the SA tapering protocol.  For people who have taken it for less than 6 months and have taken no other previous psychiatric drug might be able to do a fast taper but regardless of the amount of time a person has taken a drug it is important to listen to your body/symptoms and make the reduction amount so as to keep withdrawal symptoms to a minimum and not taper until the withdrawal symptoms have eased.

Because of Prozac's long half life you might need to hold for longer than 4 weeks before making the next reduction.

The aim is to get off your drug with minimal withdrawal symptoms and be able to live your life as normally as possible during that time.

• 1 month later...

I've just reinstated fluoxetine after originally following my GPs tapering instructions ie 40 to 20mg for a month then stop. Due to the long half life I felt OK until 6 weeks then bang and I've lived with the worst 6 weeks of my life ever since.

The reason I'm replying here is that I'm useless about even the simplest mathematical type problems so something even I could handle was this.

I unfortunately have 40mg capsules. I measure 40ml of tap water dissolve a 40mg capsule in that and then draw up 2mg for a taper starting at 2mg.

As I have more than enough fluoxetine owing to having paid a prescription scheme before I decided to come off the drug for the next year on the NHS I then just thrown the rest of the solution away and make up some more the next day. It only takes a couple of minutes to make it each time. I use a ceramic pestle to make the solution and stir it with a tea spoon to fully dissolve it. I have no problem with floating particles and it is purely solution within a few minutes. It tastes pretty horrible but a swill of the mouth with water soon sorts that out.

Prescribed for "help' with the legacy effects of untreated OCD which I had compounded over many years by self-medication with alcohol etc

mid-1990s - Gaminil - not actually taken;around 2010 - Citalopram - again not actually used

Sertraline - c2014/15 - max dose - stopped working; Citalopram - c2016/17; Escitalopram - c2017; Mirtazipine - c2018  

Fluoxetine - 2018 - stopped taking in short taper as recommended by GP 40 mg for a month down to 20 mg for a month. This stopped around 17/10/22. No noticeable issues until sometime between 6-11/11/22 when I thought I had contracted norovirus but which I realised had a psychological component, ie the worst depression and anxiety I've ever known, rushing pulses in head (not really 'zaps' in my case), aches in limbs - in retrospect the gastric problems look like physical withdrawals (and not a virus at all). Have used prn diazepam at various times during last 20 years. Used sparingly but up to twice a week since WDs started - either 5mg or less per dose.

Physical symptoms dispersed relatively quickly but emotional issues (depression, anxiety, agitation, OCD) are present 100% of the time. 

22nd Dec reinstated 2mg fluoxetine

24th Dec altered amount of reinstatement to 1mg because of possible hypersensitive nervous system

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi again KingPrawn,

I think you are doing fine with your method.

If you have a covered container to mix it in..........You could after stirring or gently shaking, get another couple of doses out of your mixture.

Keep it refrigerated and protected from light.

Up to you.  I know you are not at home right now......and so daily mixing sounds fine.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
spelling

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• 2 weeks later...

I hope this is ok I post this here. I’ve talked to enough people over the last couple years and had the experience myself as well, that Prozac potentially needs a slower taper than just 1 month initial suggestion to know what the reduction is doing. Most other meds have a shorter half life and by 1 month you may know for other meds but at 1 month of Prozac reduction it’s barely registering the reduction in the brain and getting a chance to respond. There is also commonly an initial response at a week or so and another 1.5-3 months out. Other people on this site have had the same thing it would be nice if you talk about how the long half life with multiple metabolites means potentially needing a longer hold between reductions compared to other antidepressant guides. Also the fact that many people don’t experience withdrawal until 2-3 months out. This all indicates reductions need to be slower too. Reviews on drugs.com also talk about not getting withdrawal months out, so tapering to see what the result is should be generally slower than the rest of these guides imo. At least pls consider putting a note on first post this is a possible issue. It seems like Prozac is treated the same and it really needs a specific warning 1 month reductions can pile up not giving your body a chance to recover and risking a withdrawal crash. 

"You have a chemical imbalance & we can fix it with these"

1995-2004: Varying time on Zoloft / Lexapro / Effexor (minor withdrawals).

2004-2009: Wellbutrin & Prozac, then added Neurontin & Abilify.

2009-2016: Wellbutrin, Prozac, Neurontin, Abilify, & Cytomel. Adderal & Oxazepam as needed. Failed trials of Ritalin / Viibryd / Brintellex / Lamictal (short or cross tapers).

2016-2017: Wellbutrin, Prozac, Cytomel. Dropped Abilify, Neurontin & Cytomel. Oxazepam as needed. Failed trial of Topamax & Enlyte (short or cross tapers). Failed trial on Cymbalta (1 year on, 2 month taper, 3+ months of acute withdrawals. Used Prozac bridge, Hydroxyzine, Benadryl, Quercetin, & Zyrtec). Thought was stabilized.

Nov 2017-Sept 2019: Tapered 2 months off Wellbutrin 75mg & crashed (4-9+ months of acute withdrawals after reinstated Prozac 20mg & Wellbutrin 75mg. Used Propranolol, Hydroxyzine, Lorazepam, Clonazepam, Quercetin).  Successfully tapered Prozac 20mg to 10mg over 3 months (down to 10mg Prozac at 3/25/19, minor withdrawals).  Successfully tapered Wellbutrin over 6 months (OFF Wellbutrin 10/19/19, minor withdrawals). 5 month hold only on Prozac 10mg. 

Mar-July 2020: Tapered Prozac 10mg to 2.5mg over 5 months (minor withdrawals), started LDN 1mg July. 

July-Nov 2020: Tapered Prozac 2.5mg to 0.5mg (minor withdrawals).

Dec 2020- Current: Crashed in Dec.  Reinstated Prozac 2mg, dropped LDN. (Acute withdrawals. Using Hydroxyzine, Quercetin, briefly used Propranolol), . Updose to 3mg Feb. Updose 3.2mg March (added Zyrtec, Celadrin, & Boswellia). Mental symptoms much better after 6 mo, physical symptoms that developed during withdrawal / pain, very slowly improving for the most part with more  good days than bad days now. 

Hi @normalhuman

I concur with  "There is also commonly an initial response at a week or so and another 1.5-3 months out". This has been my experience.

I paused on 16mg in June and it is only the last week I feel really well. That's 6 months after a slow reduction of 6 months (4mg in total). I should point out that I have been on Prozac for 20 years.

2003/7 (at age 52)        Prozac 20mg. For chronic fatigue syndrome.    2007/10    20mg citalopram, 2010/11 Cold Turkey citalopram Severe withdrawal,  2011  back on citalopram 10mg, 2014  Discontinued Citalopram over a month period

2014/15                       Suffered severe withdrawal and was prescribed Prozac 20mg, 2017/18 After research I decided that I have never had such severe mental illness, only withdrawal

2017/20                       Various failed attempts to ‘taper’ (missing doses), 2020 Sept 16th started a 5% taper using mini scales, 2020 Nov Ended taper Back on 20mg Prozac

2021 Nov 24               Reduced to 19mg Prozac  from starting dose of 20mg (5% reduction) 2022 Jan 3rd              Reduced to 18mg Prozac (5.26% reduction)

Hand on heart, "Personally I have never heard of anyone suffering withdrawal from Prozac" Dr P

Hi i have a question. If i dissolve a 10mg prozac pill to 10 ml water, then taking 5 ml of this solution equals to 5mg of prozac.... This is what i understand.... Am i right so?

February 2017 -November 2021 Prozac 80 mgs 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2023 at 8:54 AM, mpalas123 said:

Hi i have a question. If i dissolve a 10mg prozac pill to 10 ml water, then taking 5 ml of this solution equals to 5mg of prozac.... This is what i understand.... Am i right so?

that is correct.  You’re at 1mg/1ml.  Make sure to use distilled water, apparently that can make a difference.

1997-2006 - Prozac 20mg

2006-2015 - Lexapro 15mg, Klonopin .5mg PRN

2015 - Paxil | 2016 - Remeron 30mg | Mar 2017 - Lexapro 7.5mg, Kpin .5mg |July 2017 - Pristiq 50mg, Kpin 1mg

Oct 2017 - Celexa 20mg, Kpin .5mg | Feb 2018 - celexa 20mg, Kpin to Valium 7.5mg 

April 2018 - rapid taper of Celexa and Valium leading to crash

May 2018 -  Aug  2019 - Fluoxetine 15 mg, Valium 3.5mg

Aug 2019 -April 2020 - Micro liquid taper off 3.5mg valium end April 6 2020. Liquid Fluoxetine 12mg per day

May 2020 - Nov 2021 -   liquid fluoxetine 12mg per day.

Dec 2021 Direct switch from 12mg generic liquid fluoxetine to 10mg Prozac Capsule | May 24 2022 - 9.5mg | July 1 9.2mg | Aug 14 9.0mg | Aug 30 8.9mg | Dec 1 8.8mg

*Zero alcohol since July 2020.  Supplement include 3000 mg Fish oil, 1000mg Vit C.  100mcg B12

I have never user distilled water so far, tap water only! Whats the difference on drugs?

February 2017 -November 2021 Prozac 80 mgs 

Distilled water is what was recommended here somewhere.  Does it make a difference, i have no idea.  My assumption is that chlorine and other water treatments in tap water may impact the drug molecule in some way.  

1997-2006 - Prozac 20mg

2006-2015 - Lexapro 15mg, Klonopin .5mg PRN

2015 - Paxil | 2016 - Remeron 30mg | Mar 2017 - Lexapro 7.5mg, Kpin .5mg |July 2017 - Pristiq 50mg, Kpin 1mg

Oct 2017 - Celexa 20mg, Kpin .5mg | Feb 2018 - celexa 20mg, Kpin to Valium 7.5mg 

April 2018 - rapid taper of Celexa and Valium leading to crash

May 2018 -  Aug  2019 - Fluoxetine 15 mg, Valium 3.5mg

Aug 2019 -April 2020 - Micro liquid taper off 3.5mg valium end April 6 2020. Liquid Fluoxetine 12mg per day

May 2020 - Nov 2021 -   liquid fluoxetine 12mg per day.

Dec 2021 Direct switch from 12mg generic liquid fluoxetine to 10mg Prozac Capsule | May 24 2022 - 9.5mg | July 1 9.2mg | Aug 14 9.0mg | Aug 30 8.9mg | Dec 1 8.8mg

*Zero alcohol since July 2020.  Supplement include 3000 mg Fish oil, 1000mg Vit C.  100mcg B12

• 5 weeks later...

Can I ask a quick question. My sister wants to start tapering her fluoxetine and she takes them in gelatine capsules. Can she just pour the powder out of the capsule into water to dissolve? Does the capsule have to go into the water too? 

2015- Jan 2021 20mg Citalapram

Jan 2021- April 2021 Sertraline (CT)

June 2021 - Fluoxetine & Trazadone

Oct 2021- Trazadone to Quitiapin 

Oct 2021 to June 2022 switches Duloxetine then paroxatine then Venlafaxine.

June 2022- venlafaxine for 5 or 6 weeks at 37.5 twice daily. Upped for one week to 75mg twice daily but caused panic attacks. Dropped back down to 37.5 twice daily. Panic attacks stopped. 

1 week- 62.5mg 1 week- 50mg 1 week- 37.5mg 1 week - 25mg 

ANTIDEPRESSANT FREE SINCE JULY 22ND 2022!! 

18/05/23 - 01-06/23 doxycycline for a rat bite 

Taken propranalol since 2015. 80mg.

21/11/22 76mg. 28/11/22 72mg. 05/12/22 68mg. 19/12/22 64mg. 27/12/22 60mg. 02/01/23 56mg. 09/01/23 50mg. 16/01/23 47mg. 23/01/23 44mg. 29/01/23 40mg. 05/02/23 38mg. 12/02/23 35mg. 19/02/23 32mg. 25/02/23 27mg. 04/03/23 25mg. 11/03/23 22mg. 17/03/23 19mg. 24/03/23 20mg. 05/04/23 18mg. 11/04/23 16mg. 17/04/23 14mg. 27/04/23 20mg. 19/06/23 19mg. 25/06/23 20mg. 04/08/23 18mg. 11/08/23 17mg. 16/08/23 16mg. 25/08/23 15mg. 01/09/23 14mg. 08/09/23 13mg. 15/08/23 12mg. 22/09/23 11mg. 29/09/23 10mg. 19/11/23 9mg. 26/11/23 8mg. 03/12/23 7mg. 10/12/23 6mg. 17/12/23 5mg. 24/12/23 4mg. 31/01/23 3mg. 07/01/24 2mg. 13/01/24 1mg. 19/01/24 0mg. DONE! 

Aren’t those things time release? 

2000 - 2020 - Effexor 250 mg

November 2020 began Nardil 60 mg

reduced Nardil from January 2021 to August 2021 to 0 mg. Drug free. 

I dont know 

2015- Jan 2021 20mg Citalapram

Jan 2021- April 2021 Sertraline (CT)

June 2021 - Fluoxetine & Trazadone

Oct 2021- Trazadone to Quitiapin 

Oct 2021 to June 2022 switches Duloxetine then paroxatine then Venlafaxine.

June 2022- venlafaxine for 5 or 6 weeks at 37.5 twice daily. Upped for one week to 75mg twice daily but caused panic attacks. Dropped back down to 37.5 twice daily. Panic attacks stopped. 

1 week- 62.5mg 1 week- 50mg 1 week- 37.5mg 1 week - 25mg 

ANTIDEPRESSANT FREE SINCE JULY 22ND 2022!! 

18/05/23 - 01-06/23 doxycycline for a rat bite 

Taken propranalol since 2015. 80mg.

21/11/22 76mg. 28/11/22 72mg. 05/12/22 68mg. 19/12/22 64mg. 27/12/22 60mg. 02/01/23 56mg. 09/01/23 50mg. 16/01/23 47mg. 23/01/23 44mg. 29/01/23 40mg. 05/02/23 38mg. 12/02/23 35mg. 19/02/23 32mg. 25/02/23 27mg. 04/03/23 25mg. 11/03/23 22mg. 17/03/23 19mg. 24/03/23 20mg. 05/04/23 18mg. 11/04/23 16mg. 17/04/23 14mg. 27/04/23 20mg. 19/06/23 19mg. 25/06/23 20mg. 04/08/23 18mg. 11/08/23 17mg. 16/08/23 16mg. 25/08/23 15mg. 01/09/23 14mg. 08/09/23 13mg. 15/08/23 12mg. 22/09/23 11mg. 29/09/23 10mg. 19/11/23 9mg. 26/11/23 8mg. 03/12/23 7mg. 10/12/23 6mg. 17/12/23 5mg. 24/12/23 4mg. 31/01/23 3mg. 07/01/24 2mg. 13/01/24 1mg. 19/01/24 0mg. DONE! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2013 at 9:09 PM, Altostrata said:

Measuring Prozac-brand liquid

The concentration of the Prozac liquid from the pharmacy can make measurements confusing.

Usually, it contains 20mg Prozac in 5mL of liquid. (Check the label on your bottle.) If 20mg = 5mL, then there are 4mg in 1mL.

If you are taking 1mL, you are taking 4mg Prozac. To make a 10% reduction, you would decrease by .1mL (.4mg Prozac). A 5% reduction would be .05mL (.2mg Prozac).

Measuring Prozac-brand liquid dosage tables

At 20 mg/5ml (4mg Prozac in 1mL solution), if you wish to take

• 20mg Prozac, take 5mL liquid
  • 10mg Prozac, take 2.5mL liquid
  • 5mg Prozac, take 1.25mL liquid
  • 2.5mg Prozac, take .625mL liquid
  • 1mg Prozac, take .25mL liquid
  • .08mg Prozac, take .02mL liquid
  • .04mg Prozac, take .01mL liquid

Using a syringe to measure Prozac-brand liquid dosage

If you are using a 10mL oral syringe (photo here), and there are 5 ticks between 1mL and 2mL, each division is .2mL (2/10 mL).

At 20 mg/5ml (4mg Prozac in 1mL solution):

• .2mL (1 tiny division on 10mL syringe) = .8mg Prozac
  • .4mL (2 tiny divisions on 10mL syringe) = 1.6mg Prozac
  • .6mL (3 tiny divisions on 10mL syringe) = 2.4mg Prozac
  • .8mL (4 tiny divisions on 10mL syringe) = 3.2mg Prozac
  • 1.0mL (5 tiny divisions on 10mL syringe) = 4.0mg Prozac

If you are using a 1mL oral syringe (photo here), and there are 5 ticks between .10mL and .20mL, each division is .02mL (2/100 mL).

• .01 ml (1 tiny divisions on 1mL syringe) = .04 mg Prozac
  • .02 ml (2 tiny divisions on 1mL syringe) = .08 mg Prozac
  • .03 ml (3 tiny divisions on 1mL syringe) = .12 mg Prozac
  • .04 ml (4 tiny divisions on 1mL syringe) = .16 mg Prozac
  • .05 ml (5 tiny divisions on 1mL syringe) = .20 mg Prozac

Increase dilution to make measuring easier

Increasing the dilution might make measuring easier. For example, you may wish to make it 1mg = 1mL. To do this, add 10mL (40mg) of the 20:5 solution to 30mL of water. Now you have 40mL of liquid containing 40mg Prozac, or 1mg in 1mL.

If you wish to take 4mg Prozac, take 4mL of the diluted liquid. A 5% reduction would be .2mL, for a dose of 3.8mL (3.8mg Prozac).

I have a question about this please. Is 1ml that same as 1mL? numbers/measurements is not a strong point.

2018 April: Reinstated Paroxetine 20mg and Carbamazepine Prolonged Release 400mg (200mg morning and night) after abrupt withdrawal of 6 months (lots of on off AD and other drugs use for years prior to this this).

2018 August: Began slow taper of Paroxetine. At 10mg severe headaches began, switched to 10mg Fluoxetine. Cont. on Carbamazepine Prolonged Release 400mg (200mg morning and night). Occasional but over recommended dose use of sleeping tablet.

2018 - 2023: ‘Stable’ on Fluoxetine 10mg and Carbamazepine Prolonged Release 400mg (200mg morning and night). Cont. but over recommended dose use of sleeping tablet, switched sleeping tablet to manage addiction and achieve sleep. Began very occasional use of benzodiazepines by 2020 (eg. 2 dose of 10mg in a 9 month period, varies according to need and some months can be more). Cont. headaches, developed anxiety and other body pains. 
2023 (February) - Rapid 4 week taper in February from Carbamazepine Prolonged Release 400mg (200mg morning and night) to nil (mistakenly!).

2023 (March to present) - very infrequent use of sleeping tablets and benzodiazepines, diagnosed with hypothyroidism (April ish) and currently treated with Levothyroxine (final dose yet to be determined), began taper of Fluoxetine 10mg (June) currently on 8mg of fluoxetine. 
Also, still invariably take CBD oil, multiple vitamins and minerals including Omega 3, iron etc. Adjusted as needed. 

Note - Throughout the above years I have been an inpatient and outpatient with decisions made for me regarding drugs inc. abrupt withdrawals. Some were planned by me when unaware of withdrawal affects. Others while I was ‘unwell’ and began by unwittingly missing doses. Like many of us I have experienced many ‘symptoms’ on and off the drugs. Above, I have tried to share my main complaints and history as best as I can and remember.

My full drug history can be found in my opening post 

WeLiveInHope

——————————————————

My words are based on my personal experiences and do not constitute medical advice or recommendations, except this: whatever any one else says, from medics to other patients, however informed, listen to your body as the human condition is always evolving, and in turn so is our knowledge on its limitations and capabilities. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, WeLiveInHope said:

1ml that same as 1mL

yes

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

11 hours ago, Altostrata said:

yes

Thank you! P.S. today I am mindful and grateful over how amazing and life saving SA can be for me personally as I did not realise that fluoxetine oral solution could be mixed with water to make the measuring of doses easier. This is something that has filled me with so much joy and hope to when I do get to taper from my fluoxetine as I fear may be sooner than originally planned due medicine shortages in the UK! 

Thanks again!

2018 April: Reinstated Paroxetine 20mg and Carbamazepine Prolonged Release 400mg (200mg morning and night) after abrupt withdrawal of 6 months (lots of on off AD and other drugs use for years prior to this this).

2018 August: Began slow taper of Paroxetine. At 10mg severe headaches began, switched to 10mg Fluoxetine. Cont. on Carbamazepine Prolonged Release 400mg (200mg morning and night). Occasional but over recommended dose use of sleeping tablet.

2018 - 2023: ‘Stable’ on Fluoxetine 10mg and Carbamazepine Prolonged Release 400mg (200mg morning and night). Cont. but over recommended dose use of sleeping tablet, switched sleeping tablet to manage addiction and achieve sleep. Began very occasional use of benzodiazepines by 2020 (eg. 2 dose of 10mg in a 9 month period, varies according to need and some months can be more). Cont. headaches, developed anxiety and other body pains. 
2023 (February) - Rapid 4 week taper in February from Carbamazepine Prolonged Release 400mg (200mg morning and night) to nil (mistakenly!).

2023 (March to present) - very infrequent use of sleeping tablets and benzodiazepines, diagnosed with hypothyroidism (April ish) and currently treated with Levothyroxine (final dose yet to be determined), began taper of Fluoxetine 10mg (June) currently on 8mg of fluoxetine. 
Also, still invariably take CBD oil, multiple vitamins and minerals including Omega 3, iron etc. Adjusted as needed. 

Note - Throughout the above years I have been an inpatient and outpatient with decisions made for me regarding drugs inc. abrupt withdrawals. Some were planned by me when unaware of withdrawal affects. Others while I was ‘unwell’ and began by unwittingly missing doses. Like many of us I have experienced many ‘symptoms’ on and off the drugs. Above, I have tried to share my main complaints and history as best as I can and remember.

WeLiveInHope

——————————————————

My words are based on my personal experiences and do not constitute medical advice or recommendations, except this: whatever any one else says, from medics to other patients, however informed, listen to your body as the human condition is always evolving, and in turn so is our knowledge on its limitations and capabilities. 

3 hours ago, WeLiveInHope said:

Thank you! P.S. today I am mindful and grateful over how amazing and life saving SA can be for me personally as I did not realise that fluoxetine oral solution could be mixed with water to make the measuring of doses easier. This is something that has filled me with so much joy and hope to when I do get to taper from my fluoxetine as I fear may be sooner than originally planned due medicine shortages in the UK! 

Thanks again!

I am from the UK.

My doctor is now unable to supply me with liquid Prozac and has prescribed 20mg tablets.

I am back to using mini scales.

8 hours ago, vincent said:

I am from the UK.

My doctor is now unable to supply me with liquid Prozac and has prescribed 20mg tablets.

I am back to using mini scales.

I have not been able to get liquid Prozac for 2 years. But, I could get another brand for liquid fluoxetine. Unfortunately, there seems to be so much ongoing issues with all types of formulas of fluoxetine in the UK. I must admit, it makes me ever so nervous. I wasn’t able to get any liquid for 3 months in a row and luckily, I had some stock built up but fear soon I’ll have to switch formula or something. 

It’s confusing to me why it can’t be special ordered in some way.

Scary times. I hope it works out for you. Good luck and best of care. 

WeLiveInHope

——————————————————

12 hours ago, WeLiveInHope said:

I have not been able to get liquid Prozac for 2 years. But, I could get another brand for liquid fluoxetine. Unfortunately, there seems to be so much ongoing issues with all types of formulas of fluoxetine in the UK. I must admit, it makes me ever so nervous. I wasn’t able to get any liquid for 3 months in a row and luckily, I had some stock built up but fear soon I’ll have to switch formula or something. 

It’s confusing to me why it can’t be special ordered in some way.

Scary times. I hope it works out for you. Good luck and best of care. 

@vincent Hi again Vincent,

I just want to share that that there is a way to still get fluoxetine oral solution see here https://psnc.org.uk/our-news/medicine-supply-notification-fluoxetine-20mg-5ml-oral-solution-and-fluoxetine-olena-20mg-dispersible-tablets/ 

It may be that your prescriber is unaware of the options available to have it special prepared. Or, something else. 

I hope that helps and please do let me know how you get on should you pursue the option of getting the oral solution specially prepared.

WeLiveInHope

WeLiveInHope

——————————————————

• 3 months later...

Fluoxetine/Prozep Oral Solution

Does any one know if it can diluted and if so how long will it stay stable and should to be refrigerated? I ask as I’d like to think about making dosing easier for tapering in the future.

Many thanks to any/all who can share. And, I hope you are doing as well as can be expected on your journeys.

WeLiveInHope

——————————————————

• Administrator

Please read this topic from the beginning.

28 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Please read this topic from the beginning.

Thank you.

WeLiveInHope

——————————————————

• 3 months later...

Can I ask a tapering question here? I’ve been using a compounded mixture of Prozac since last “December 22” and for weeks ago I changed to the manufactured liquid because getting the compounded liquid was getting too complicated with the pharmacy. I did the change gradual over a couple weeks and for the past week I’ve been in a terrible wave of anxiety and depression among other things. It makes me think the compounding med I had was not the mg it stated or im having trouble adjusting to the new med. I was wondering if anyone had a similar situation and recovered? Thank you. Looking for some hope. I’ve also tried to update my history but it doesn’t seem to update. 

On 1/17/2013 at 9:09 PM, Altostrata said:

Measuring Prozac-brand liquid

The concentration of the Prozac liquid from the pharmacy can make measurements confusing.

Usually, it contains 20mg Prozac in 5mL of liquid. (Check the label on your bottle.) If 20mg = 5mL, then there are 4mg in 1mL.

If you are taking 1mL, you are taking 4mg Prozac. To make a 10% reduction, you would decrease by .1mL (.4mg Prozac). A 5% reduction would be .05mL (.2mg Prozac).

Measuring Prozac-brand liquid dosage tables

At 20 mg/5ml (4mg Prozac in 1mL solution), if you wish to take

• 20mg Prozac, take 5mL liquid
  • 10mg Prozac, take 2.5mL liquid
  • 5mg Prozac, take 1.25mL liquid
  • 2.5mg Prozac, take .625mL liquid
  • 1mg Prozac, take .25mL liquid
  • .08mg Prozac, take .02mL liquid
  • .04mg Prozac, take .01mL liquid

Using a syringe to measure Prozac-brand liquid dosage

If you are using a 10mL oral syringe (photo here), and there are 5 ticks between 1mL and 2mL, each division is .2mL (2/10 mL).

• .2mL (1 tiny division on 10mL syringe) = .8mg Prozac
  • .4mL (2 tiny divisions on 10mL syringe) = 1.6mg Prozac
  • .6mL (3 tiny divisions on 10mL syringe) = 2.4mg Prozac
  • .8mL (4 tiny divisions on 10mL syringe) = 3.2mg Prozac
  • 1.0mL (5 tiny divisions on 10mL syringe) = 4.0mg Prozac

If you are using a 1mL oral syringe (photo here), and there are 5 ticks between .10mL and .20mL, each division is .02mL (2/100 mL).

• .01 ml (1 tiny divisions on 1mL syringe) = .04 mg Prozac
  • .02 ml (2 tiny divisions on 1mL syringe) = .08 mg Prozac
  • .03 ml (3 tiny divisions on 1mL syringe) = .12 mg Prozac
  • .04 ml (4 tiny divisions on 1mL syringe) = .16 mg Prozac
  • .05 ml (5 tiny divisions on 1mL syringe) = .20 mg Prozac

Increase dilution to make measuring easier

Increasing the dilution might make measuring easier. For example, you may wish to make it 1mg = 1mL. To do this, add 10mL (40mg) of the 20:5 solution to 30mL of water. Now you have 40mL of liquid containing 40mg Prozac, or 1mg in 1mL.

If you wish to take 4mg Prozac, take 4mL of the diluted liquid. A 5% reduction would be .2mL, for a dose of 3.8mL (3.8mg Prozac).

I can’t believe I couldn’t find this when I was looking for it it. @Shep how to dilute to get 1mg to be 1ml was here all along!

WeLiveInHope

——————————————————

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy