ADropInTheOcean off after 9 years

ADropInTheOcean

Hey.I have been off my SSRI for 15 months after taking various SSRIs for 9-10 years.I have no windows at all just getting worse and worse Im living isolated because of agoraphobia and other symptoms(see my signature).My emotions are so bad I can't even talk to people because anything I say my body feels it like Im arguing and im 5 minutes im crying or have extreme rage with no reason.And Im shaking like I have Parkinson.Yesterday I couldn't take it anymore and wanted to reinstate...and took 5mg of Paxil.Today Im not so sure about this.Im not sure I wanna take them again.My question is...do you guys think that one pill can erase all those 15 months off ? I hope im not at 0 months off now. Hope you understand, my english lacks some notions :)

On various meds since 2004(Luvox, Paxil-5 years, Zoloft, Trazodone, etc) for anxiety.
CT Luvox 20th September 2013, started Klonopin 1mg (now on 0.25mg). Hellish depression, burning head, crying spells,extreme emotional rollercoaster, severe fibro-neuropathy like pains-never had any of this prior to meds. 31 months off and its worse and worse no life AT ALL.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA ADropInTheOcean,

I'm sorry you haven't got a reply until now, we have suddenly become very busy and your topic moved down off the first page very fast.  I'm sorry to hear that you have been feeling unwell for so long. It certainly sounds like you are experiencing withdrawal symptoms and going CT off drugs which you have been on for 9-10 years could definitely cause it.

I understand how hard it is because I have also been experiencing withdrawal for a long time, since stopping Lexapro too fast in 2010.  I have also been struggling with agoraphobia, but its slowly been getting easier.  I've been completely drug free for just over 19 months and I'm slowly recovering, but I still experience some of the same symptoms as you are having.  I'm sure you will recover too, in time.

What dose of Luvox were you on?  Did you stop all your drugs CT.  We need a few more detail about the drugs you were taking, doses, when you stopped and if you tapered at all?  When did you start taking Klonopin?  Have you always taken 0.5mg. Do you take this once a day?

It would be most helpful if you put your drug history in your signature.  Putting a short version of your drug and tapering history in your signature helps people understand your context, it appears below each of your posts.  Here are instructions for how to do it:

http://survivinganti...your-signature/

Why did you reinstate Paxil rather than Luvox?  At such a long time off the drug, a reinstatement unlikely to help and often makes people feel worse, I probably would have recommended trying a much lower dose than 5mg.  How are you feeling since you reinstated?

To answer your question:

My question is...do you guys think that one pill can erase all those 15 months off ? I hope im not at 0 months off now. Hope you understand, my english lacks some notions :)

This is from my own experience of trying to reinstate after being in withdrawal for about a year and a half.  First I tried taking a small dose of Prozac, then about a month later I tried reinstating Lexapro.  Both times it increased my symptoms and put me into a wave which lasted about 3 - 4 weeks, so I don't think one pill will take you right back to day one, but it may possibly cause your symptoms to worsen if it doesn't help.

Oh, your english is fine by the way :)

Once you get back to us with more details about your drug history and situation, we will be in a better position to offer support and suggestions.  You can use this thread as your ongoing journal to track progress and communicate with the community, add to it whenever you want.

I'm glad you found us.

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Adropinthe ocean,

I am so sorry you are in a terrible place at the moment. 15 months ssri free that is something to celebrate.

You are clearly suffering wdl ...and yes it can go on for a long time 15 months imo and my experience is still early days in the recovery process. But having said that you have done so well to get to 15 months ssri free...many would love to be in this position... don't throw that away. I know how hard this is I wanted desparatley to ri at this stage as well. But I didn't.  But say you do ri, and then become stable ...then what ...taper all over again and go through this all over again. I think your recovery may well be hampered by taking a benzo and I wouldn't discount this effect.

Personally I would not take the paxil again. Forget about the one off -one-dose. Try not to let it bother you.  imo I would not be ri anything at this time. Stay the course drug free...all your symptoms are classic wdl.. Many report improvements in yr 1-2. So be patient. This is not easy. You can do it.

Petu has asked some great questions. To make it easy for the mods you need to give full details esp tapering and length of time on the drug. ct is definitely not the way to get off these drugs often causing a much longer recovery process.

Klonopin (clonazepam) is a benzo and addictive and will need to be tapered. Its recognized that these drugs in the long term interfere with recovery leading to chronic anxiety and sleep disorders. Also known to cause rebound anxiety and behavioural abnormalities. Would you consider looking into tapering that. I don't know how to taper benzos but im sure the mods can give advise on that. Recovery is not linear and things sometimes get worse before they get better. Be patient and don't give up the fight.

This is only my 2 cents worth I am new here so don't read to much into what I say.

Wishing you strength. It is very clear the med prof have let you down. I am sorry you find yourself in this difficult place.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• Moderator Emeritus

How long have you been on the Klonopin?  I agree with Mark, to forget about the one pill and let your system carry on doing its rebalancing work.  Even though it feels terrible so far, a lot of rebalancing work has already happened in those 15 months and is still in progress.  Hopefully things should get gradually better in time.

For anxiety and agoraphobia you could look for books and recordings by Dr. Claire Weekes.  Her techniques can be helpful, even for the "chemical" anxiety of withdrawal - they won't remove it but can help to calm it down somewhat and learn to cope with it better.  Regular relaxation exercises are also great for calming the nervous system.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

• Moderator Emeritus

It's not unusual for someone to still be pretty miserable 15 months after coming off meds CT, especially with a past history of multiple meds and changes between meds, like you have.

I wouldn't worry about the Klonopin right now. You can deal with that later when you recover. Which you will, eventually. I've seen many, many people go through what you are going through and go on to recover over time. 

It's very frustrating because everyone feels like at a year and a half out they should be well, but often this is still a very bad time. It will get better. It might take a while.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Moderator Emeritus

Oh, and although I would not reinstate this far out, it's up to you. Sometimes a small amount of the drug can help, although it can make things worse instead, and it's impossible to predict.

But if you choose to give it a try, please go with a much smaller amount. 5 mg is probably too much. I would start with something like 0.5 mg (that's one half of a milligram) and maybe go up to 1 mg at the most.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Thanks everyone for the answers.

@Petu, thanks for the warm welcome. I don't remember the dosages of the antidepressants but they were in the lower range all the time. My doctor always switched me on a different SSRI in those 9-10 years because they weren't helping too much. I remember I was 6 years on Paxil, tappered it in like 4 months(only had brain zaps that went away in 2 weeks) and stayed without any medication for 1 month until I ended up in the ER for a week with severe panic attacks. 

Then I was given another type of SSRI, then another one...until i reached 9-10 years on these kind of pills. The last SSRI that I was on was Luvox (the minimum dosage).  I wasn't feeling anything on it and I realized my brain was done with SSRI medications. I started taking half the dosage for one month and the completely stopped. Didn't had any brain zaps(weird) and was pretty much in the same state that I was on them but after one month off all hell broke loose. I started having severe crying spells to the point that I was almost fainting, severe rage to the point that I wanted to call the ambulance...I was so angry that I was almost choking. 

Then as months passed I started to have severe nerve pain, first it was just the ankle like I was having a band or bracelet with long needles and then expanded to the whole body.Now the pain is so severe (burning muscles, burning brain, neuropathy like in hands) that I don't know what I have to do I think I need pain medication everything hurts. Its muscle pain and severe nerve pain, arthritic type and Im sure I dont have arthritis im 25 years old and never experienced any of the symptoms in my signature prior to withdrawal. I had just anxiety. I dont know and its hard for me to believe that ssris could cause such pain..there is no logic behind it although I know that serotonin is involved in muscle contraction and pain regulation but still it is a weak statement.

And the rage is worse and worse and Im having manic episodes in which I can't stop talking at all, I talk so much to the point that Im running out of air.  Im literary having nervous breakdowns everyday histerycal crying and hiting things and walls. It is even worse because im severely agoraphobic and im staying inside all the time.

The worst thing are the pain I think I will need some opiate pain meds I cant live like this.  I had JUST ONE moment in all these 15 months off that lasted like 30 minutes in which I felt normal...not without anxiety...just normal like on the meds.  After I woke up I was even worse than usual..And got like 10 episodes of sinusitis and I never had even one priot to stopping the ssri (after I stopped it i noticed the sinus area was hurting very bad, my nose was completely dry and started to itch and got runny nose and bloodhshot eyes for months-probably some sort of allergy).

I started the benzos a few months prior to stopping the SSRI (initially it was a low dosage and only taken from time to time but after i stopped the ssri I had to go up till 1 mg). Now I am on half of that benzo dosage after a looooong tapper (probably like 1 year) The problem is that on a scale from 1 to 10 my life quality now is 1...on the ssri it was like 5. I was anxious and only staying in the house but no other problems...now im almost dead Im so anxious I cant even eat. I wake up go to toilet and go back in bed and crawl in pain and endure the anxiety. This is the worst I felt during those 15 months off. 15 months off and I had a window of 30 minutes?! Thats pathetic.

Sometimes Im thinking this whole withdrawal thing lasting for so much time is BS, but then its like a voice in my head saying "man...9 or 10 years are ALOT". Don't know what to think anymore. Im scared because of my behaviour I can barely abtain myself to not hit my parents or my girlfriend and I talk so dirty to them and this is so not me...I can't control it..and when it passes I feel so bad and hug them. I just wake up feeling like this. Im not gonna reinstate...I don't wanna waste those 15 months off.  At least not now. Sorry I didn't responded individually and if I misspelled.  This text is huge, hope someone will read it.

Edited by Karma
Added paragraph breaks for readability

On various meds since 2004(Luvox, Paxil-5 years, Zoloft, Trazodone, etc) for anxiety.
CT Luvox 20th September 2013, started Klonopin 1mg (now on 0.25mg). Hellish depression, burning head, crying spells,extreme emotional rollercoaster, severe fibro-neuropathy like pains-never had any of this prior to meds. 31 months off and its worse and worse no life AT ALL.

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm so sorry for everything you're going through.  Unfortunately it sounds like protracted withdrawal, which many of us here are dealing with. It can cause lots of different physical and emotional symptoms, often coming and going in random waves.  See:

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Recovery

The good news is that it does get better in time, and until then we can find ways to manage the symptoms.

The best I can offer by way of advice is to listen to your body and avoid those things that set off symptoms as much as possible. Aside from a high quality fish oil and magnesium, avoid supplements. (See King of Supplements: Omega 3 Fatty Acids (Fish Oil) and Magnesium, Nature's Calcium Channel Blocker). They've been helpful to many of us.

Here is the link to our symptoms and self care section, you may find some useful ideas to help manage symptoms as you recover.  Especially read the topics pinned at the top.

I suggest you keep taking the Klonopin for now, the same dose at the same time every day to keep it stable.  Eliminate stress from your life and focus on calming your nervous system.

You will recover, it may take a while.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

• Administrator

Welcome, ADropinTheOcean.

Withdrawal often makes our bodies hypersensitive to many things, such as light, noise, even foods.

Do you have sensitivity to light?

Stimulating substances such as caffeine, sugar, food additives can cause big reactions. So can alcohol. Are you drinking a lot of tea or coffee?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks Altostrata.

No, I don't have light sensivity at all, I don't drink coffee, alcohol, tea at all. Sugar yes...I love cakes.

Im having alot of problems with allergies now and I didnt had that ever in my life. My eyes are blodshot and burn, my nose is dry, stuffed and itchy and my sinuses hurt alot and this starts a trigeminal pain that is unbearable. And im running low grade fever for months. Went to a doc and gave me Xyzal but doesnt work. Never had allergies until I stopped the Ssri. I know benzos and Ssris also act on histamine receptors and im wondering if I should take the antihistamines or not. The worst time ever in my 15 months off...reinstating is ony mind...alot. I told my mother today to shut the f up or she will end in hospital. Im scared of my behaviour.I sit quietly and then suddenly I feel this wave of anger building up in me with NO REASON and its so strong that it feels lile im gonna faint.I just want it to stop but I cant its like someone gave me a rage pill. I dont know if its anger...i think its more of a desperation feeling that shows up like anger.

• Mentor

I remember my daughter, being so angry, all she wanted for Christmas was a punching bag, which she got. It helped her a lot. I never understood why she hadthe anger, now I do. Ask for a punching bag.

Thankyou for sharing your symptoms.

I encourage you, you are an inspiration to me, and my journey. I luckily never got put on AD until 35, on and off for 20 years now. I remember suffering severe agrorophobia, and other things, while doctors messed around with my meds. It was horrific, but I knew I had never, ever felt that before. I think that is what kept me sane, I knew it was the drugs. But then I still went on to trust other drugs, silly me.

But in WD, that I am in now, it just seems so hard, as my resolve and determination come and go.

You are young, YOU WILL do it. And you will come out of it, whenever that is, with the strength and determination and resilience your posts indicate are the real you.

1992 Dothiepin 375mg 8 weeks, exhaustion/depression.  Serotonin syndrome, oh yes!  seizures . Fell pregnant, 3rd baby, Nitrous Oxide, 3 weeks mental hospital pp psychosis. zoloft tegretol.

Feb 1996 ct tegretol, tapered Zoloft 8 weeks. as (unexpectedly)  pregnant. Steven died after 3 days.(Zolft HLHS baby).  98 had run in with Paxil, 2 tablets, 3 weeks taper, survived.
2005..menopause? exhausted again. Zyprexa, mad in three days, fallout....  Seroquel, Effexor, tegretol,   and 8 years of self destruction. Failed taper.
Damn 1/4 valium... nuts again! .fallout, zoloft 100mg  seroquol 400mg mirtazapine 45 mg  tegretol 400mg.  Mid 14 3 month taper. Nov 14 CRASH.
Mid 15 ....   75mg  seroquel,  3 x 1800mg SJW  2 week window end of December followed by 6 week wave
5/2 68mg seroquel, 2.5 x 1800mg SJW::::20/2 61mg seroquel, 2.5 x  SJW::: 26/2 54mg seroquel, 2 x SJW::::21/3 43mg seroquel, 1 x 2700SJW :::: 23/4 36mg seroquel 1 x 1800 SJW
15/5 33mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::   28/5 30mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::;  18/6 25mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::::, 11/7 21mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::, 26/7 18mg seroquel 1/2 SJW:::, 9/8 12mg seroquel :::, 16/8 6mg seroquel ;;;;, 12/9 0 jump.

23/9  3mg.....,  27/9 0mg.  Reinstated, 6mg, then 12mg.............  LIGHTBULB MOMENT,  I have  MTHFR 2x mutations.  CFS and issues with MOULD in my home. So I left home, and working 150km away during week, loving it.

Oh was hard, panic attacks first week, gone now, along with the mould issues.

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm sorry you're still going through this.  Some people do experience sinus and allergy type symptoms when coming off these drugs, I did, for a while, not all the time, but they would come in waves.  I rarely have that problem now.  If you can manage without taking antihistamines, it will probably be better for recovery.  These topics may be helpful:

Nasal rinsing for allergies, via neti pot or squeeze bottle

Antihistamines

sinus congestion, sneezing and runny nose

Perhaps you could try giving up sugar and sweet foods for a few days and see if it helps, sugar can act as a stimulant and it may be contributing to your feelings of rage and anger.  When I first found this site and started learning about withdrawal, I cut down sugar, but I noticed that when I did eat more than usual, my symptoms would increase. I'm presently trying no sugar, which isn't easy because like sweet foods too.

Do stay in touch and let us know if anything helps.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Altostrata.

No, I don't have light sensivity at all, I don't drink coffee, alcohol, tea at all. Sugar yes...I love cakes.

Im having alot of problems with allergies now and I didnt had that ever in my life. My eyes are blodshot and burn, my nose is dry, stuffed and itchy and my sinuses hurt alot and this starts a trigeminal pain that is unbearable. And im running low grade fever for months. Went to a doc and gave me Xyzal but doesnt work. Never had allergies until I stopped the Ssri. I know benzos and Ssris also act on histamine receptors and im wondering if I should take the antihistamines or not. The worst time ever in my 15 months off...reinstating is ony mind...alot. I told my mother today to shut the f up or she will end in hospital. Im scared of my behaviour.I sit quietly and then suddenly I feel this wave of anger building up in me with NO REASON and its so strong that it feels lile im gonna faint.I just want it to stop but I cant its like someone gave me a rage pill. I dont know if its anger...i think its more of a desperation feeling that shows up like anger.

There is a term coined here called Neuro Emotions yes we have to make up our own labels as the wd experience is so not what we would have thought normal before... 

I think of it like this .. we are normal people living through an abnormal long term affects of drugs human bodies have never had to adapt to so our brain/bodies are trying to figure out how overcome this new issue.  If you think about it in millions of years of evolution humans have not come up against this one so it is slow going as our systems try to learn how to over come this. I just found a new term for this last wk tho I am sure others have known it for awhile... withdrawal normal ...short way of saying it. Wnormal I think is how it was presented but I may be wrong as my memory is sketchy. 

you will find a link to neuro-emotions here

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/137-neuro-emotion/

I know this being unlike ourselves and hurting those we love is a big problem for most of us who are trying to heal it does not make it go away to understand it but it helps us accept ourselves or did me. 

I wish you peace. 

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

• Administrator

It sounds to me like you are having an allergic reaction to something in your environment, maybe mold. Can you see an allergist?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys. Im having this manic episodes and i cant stop talking and my chest hurts so bad. I need to take benzos to calm those episodes and im wondering if its due to benzos or the ssri thing. All I know is that I didnt had it before I stopped the ssri and started taking klonopin. Im gonna be 17 months off my ssri in ten days and im in my worst condition. Im gonna give it one more month and if i wont see any signs of improvements im gonna reinstate...everything is bad...my emotions are awful my body hurts to the point that i curl in pain, so anxious that cant even eat, cant feel happy at all...i mean i cant even feel that sensation at all when i hear a song or something its all black...living in isolation...havent left my house for ages....not to mention the sex life...although im too sick to care about sex thats a huge problem too, at any age but especially when you are young like I am. I wanted to be a succes story for me and for others too thats why i waited so long but guess im not gonna be.At least I tried.

It sounds to me like you are having an allergic reaction to something in your environment, maybe mold. Can you see an allergist?

Hey. I went to one a few months ago.Did a skin prick testing and I did have a reaction to mold but very weak. Can't do much I don't have mold in my house at all. I know it may not be visible, mold has spores, but I don't think I have mold in my house(and I haven't been out for ages) and I never had any problems ever with allergies.

Do you guys get burning in your palms? Its very severe I need to take something to sleep instantly its unbearable. Neuropathy like. And mu whole body is so painful and sore

• Administrator

It could be paresthesia, a withdrawal symptom. Acupuncture may help.

• 2 weeks later...

Im dying because of this severe rage and depression.more range then depression.i cant even talk.i dont go outside my house at all.how the hell can it be like this at almost 18 months off? never has been stronger.i just keep going down and down never up.never did. it feels like 10 CTs done at the same time. i just stay crawled in bed and if someone asks me anything i burst into rage hitting and crying histericaly.its not a problem that i have rage...i could hit a boxing sack or something..the problem is the way i feel.its so intense that i almost lose my counciousness. Im afraid this wait till your brain is rewiring may be fatal to me. i had quit ssris before and was off for a month and was perfectly normal except severe anxiety which is why i was put on them so i didnt had any choice then to go back but i didnt had those problems...never had any...maybe its because i did tapered that time in like 5 months not CT like this last time... Never had pain, rage, depression, manic reactions, crying...nothing. Oh and the manic reactions...why the f is this ? This is not a common wd symptom..but at the same time im 100% sure its not me because i never had manic episodes(i talk until i run out of air) in my entire life...i didnt even knew what that meant.Im not necesarely expecting an answer...i dont know...just writing...dont care...im afraid it is getting so much worse every month you cant imagine how im living...Everytime it got harder i was thinking "im gonna ride this out, this is a turning point". Now I cant handle this even if it really would be a turning point.Lost 55 lbs... :( not that this would matter so much but still..

Everything shakes inside of me like a guitar string thats being pulled and released.did this since the first months but now im shaking externally too its so bad i barely can get food in my mouth i feel like getting into convulsions.

• Administrator

Drop, do these symptoms have any daily pattern relative to when you take your K? Please keep notes on paper.

Have you tried fish oil and magnesium supplements, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

Drop, do these symptoms have any daily pattern relative to when you take your K? Please keep notes on paper.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

No, no pattern. The only time I have a problem with K is when I taper it.

Yes, I do take magnesium and fish oil. Im also increasing the magnesium dosage when i taper the K because of its NMDA antogonistic properties...altough weak antagonism but still better than none :)

• Administrator

Drop, all you can do right now is try the suggestions in Symptoms and Self-Care to try to reduce your symptoms. I know it's very hard, you have to let time do the healing.

No, no pattern. The only time I have a problem with K is when I taper it.

Yes, I do take magnesium and fish oil. Im also increasing the magnesium dosage when i taper the K because of its NMDA antogonistic properties...altough weak antagonism but still better than none :)

When you started the supplements did they help?  If you don 't take them are you any better?  Just a couple of things I wonder not suggestions... mag seemed to help me for a few days then did the opposite... I don't understand it but it did happen. 

Have you tried a magnesium bath in epson salts?  

Just thoughts of what could be hurting or what may help. Wish there was a magic wand but there isn't it is all trial and error. 

wishing you peace

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

• 3 weeks later...

No...its the same with or withouth them, never felt anything.

I took a few epson baths when i had pains but no....nothing.

I feel like its acid in my soul.im so mean and this rage makes me choke and i have dreams from like 4-5 years ago that make me feel so bad but just random dreams they dont have any significance it makes no sense and im 18 months off i swear it hasnt been this bad ever.i notice my respiration increases and then this incredible rage and despair hits me its like a nervous breakdown screaming histericaly at everyone and crying until i almost pass out.what the hell is this? and i started to have like obsessive thoughts they wake me up in the middle of the night and torture me. no way this is ssri wd after 18 months off :( not a single window. im losing my entire life and my gf too its all gone f*****g sh*tty meds ruining lifes. They never really helped my anxiety...now i need to take them back just to be me...not for anxiety. Whatever "me" means...cuz i dont know how i really am anymore took this sh*tty pills from 15 years old.

• 3 weeks later...

I will be 19 months off in a few days and no windows at all.Just depression crying intrusive obsessive thoughts and pain.Cant function at all..so unstable emotionaly. What the hell is happening? I thought it would be better thats why i endured 19 months but no...not even a day ?!

I'm so sorry. I really relate to your description of anger..it's really awful and so unhuman..on a different level to normal anger.

A lot that I've read, people can have no windows and then just suddenly turn around for them.

Also I've been on the damn drugs since 17 and have no idea who I am either..no idea at all.

Thinking of you. Your not alone..

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

• Moderator Emeritus

A lot that I've read, people can have no windows and then just suddenly turn around for them.

I have seen this, too.  I feel really sorry that you have not had any windows, I can't really imagine how awful that must be for you.  I have seen others with long-term w/d problems have significant improvement after 2 or 3 years - there's no set timeframe, it's different for everyone.  I believe that your system has probably been doing a lot of rebalancing work in the background, even though it doesn't feel like it yet.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to hear from people who never had windows in almost 2 years off and now are okay. What did you guys felt ? How was it ? I thought its better to ask this here than start another thread.

• 3 months later...

Im gonna be exactly 2 years off in 2 weeks. No improvements at all, no windows at all, just steady worsening. Completely non functional, just going to the bathroom and back in my room. 

Im in severe pain and depression(see my signature)...exhausted to the point even going to the bathroom in like climbing the everest mountain.

I only had anxiety...thats why i was put on them. Strongly considering reinstating...i cant do this anymore...but then i remember how sh*tty i felt on them too...but it was just anxiety not all 5000 symptoms that i got now.

My career is now destroyed forever by the way...dont know what i could do for a living if i ever get well.

My diet is mostly fresh juices from vegetables, herbs and fruits...and alot of salmon for the omega.

So...anyone in this situation? 2 years off, no windows at all,  almost dead? 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Drop,

Thanks for updating, I'm sorry its still bad for you. What's the situation with the Klonopin now? What dose are you on? When do you take it?

Do you or have you taken any other kinds of drugs or medications over the last year, anything at all?

Is there any pattern to your symptoms? Do you feel worse in the mornings or at a certain time of the day?

How is your sleep? Do you have a regular sleep pattern and about how many hours a night? Are you taking any supplements?

Sorry for all the questions, answers might just give us a clue about what's going on.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Hey,

Klonopin is okay, I mean im on low dosage..0.35 mg.

Only took a few anti allergy meds because i started developing allergies since quitting the ssri but only a few pills because i dint felt any improvents related to the allergies so i stopped them.

No patterns at all...

Not very much into supplements anymore...my diet is good and clean and kinda gives me everything I need. It was a time when I was taking many supps but never felt anything good.

Sleep is weird...im so tired and sleep 14 hours and still exhausted for a month then for a month i only need 6 hours. 

So sorry this is so hard.

But! It's great you've got your diet sorted..I think this is a very good sign in that you have the ability to 'sort' this side of things out..it takes a lot of motivation, concentration and energy to contemplate diet (for me right now), so I think the fact that you can do this is great. I know, not much consolation..

Just know that others have been in this terrible state and recovered. Hug

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

Hey,

Only took a few anti allergy meds because i started developing allergies since quitting the ssri but only a few pills because i dint felt any improvents related to the allergies so i stopped them.

No patterns at all...

Not very much into supplements anymore...my diet is good and clean and kinda gives me everything I need. It was a time when I was taking many supps but never felt anything good.

Sleep is weird...im so tired and sleep 14 hours and still exhausted for a month then for a month i only need 6 hours. 

I'm really sorry to hear about your suffering.  Honestly there is not much you can do other than to wait and not take any SSRIs or antipsycotic drugs or any drugs for that matter.

I wouldn't recommend taking any medications or supplements other than a multivitamin or some magnesium or omega 3 fatty acids - some supplements can really cause a terrible reaction in some people and at best won't really do anything.  99% of supplements are a total waste of money anyways.

Allergy medication is strong potent stuff - most of which cause tolerance and dependence.  Please note that the same people who make SSRIs make allergy medication.  You COULD go get an allergy test, that's always a possible option - but if you do get an allergy test, the only long term effective remedy is to just avoid those things - drugs aren't going to work after a period of time.

Unfortunately there is no quick fix, nothing - waiting is the only way to recover. 

Thanks for the answers guys. I don;t know if this is me or is the wd and im so tired of wasting time. All i know is i only had anxiety not all of this...wd can't last so much without a few days/weeks of feeling better...at least that...

• Moderator Emeritus

When did you drop from .5mg to .35mg?

Do you take this just once a day?

I'm asking because the way you take a benzo can sometimes make symptoms worse in a nervous system destabilized by withdrawal.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

When did you drop from .5mg to .35mg?

Do you take this just once a day?

I'm asking because the way you take a benzo can sometimes make symptoms worse in a nervous system destabilized by withdrawal.

In many many months...like 6 months something like that.

Im taking it splited in 3 equal doses per day so that it is stable in the blood...same hour everyday.