xlmplmplmp: PSSD and Derealization

xlmplmplmp

Hey everyone! I've had PSSD for 3 months after discontinuing from 60mg Prozac. I am back on a low dose (10mg) and am planning to increase until the withdrawal symptoms subside and then go on a slow taper from there. Having strange sensations like I'm swimming through life. Plan to call my doctor tomorrow to let him know my plan to increase Prozac.

Feb 7th, 2008 - Prozac at 60mg and Zoloft at 25mg (the end result of five or more years of tinkering trying in vain to reduce my OCD symptoms.) 

Jan 19th, 2010 - Prozac at 60mg and Zoloft at 125mg. By this time I started experiencing muted orgasm and tinnitus. Decided to taper down meds.

May 25th, 2010 - Prozac at 60mg and Zoloft at 37.5mg.

Feb 4th, 2011 - Lexapro at 10mg (after hospital visit during my first withdrawal period. I tapered too fast bit didn't know it at the time.)

Feb 24th, 2011 - Prozac at 40mg with 0.25mg Xanax as needed (Prozac sucks but Lexapro was worse. Lesser of two evils, I guess.) 

Apr 12th, 2012 - Prozac at 60mg and Zoloft at 25mg with Buspar 10mg as needed for sleep (Buspar's the kids' gloves version of Xanax.) 

Jul 18th, 2013 - Prozac still at 60mg (my main B) and no longer taking the Zoloft.)

Mar 5th, 2014 - After months of mounting doubt about the prospects of life-long medication, decided to taper Prozac. Unfortunately, I didn't understand the dangers of SSRI discontinuation syndrome so my taper was only over a period of two months. 

Dec 16th, 2014 - Back on a low dose (20mg) of Prozac to stabilize.

Nov 11th, 2015 - After a nearly year long taper, I took my final 1mg dose of Prozac on my birthday. Finally, I'm SSRI-free. It's a good feeling, though my troubles remain. 

• Administrator

Welcome, xlmplmplmp.

Quite often, withdrawal symptoms will subside with a low dose. If I were you, I'd give 10mg a couple of weeks, at least, to see if that does the trick.

Has the reinstatement decreased your withdrawal symptoms at all?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Not much, unfortunately. I've been somewhat manic, running around and having difficulty making decisions. Looking back, there was a three week period before I discontinued Prozac when I didn't have access to a script. I wonder if that shock to my system resulted in this current dilemna. I feel really guilty about this - I didn't know just how disabling antidepressant withdrawal could be or even how to recognize when someone is going through it. I see my doctor in two weeks to discuss options moving forward. We had talked previously but it wasn't until I did research that I came to believe I am going through withdrawal symptoms. Is there hope this will subside in a reasonable time frame? I called up Dr. Shipko but his message was filled with doom and gloom. I just don't know how long I can handle this!

Feb 7th, 2008 - Prozac at 60mg and Zoloft at 25mg (the end result of five or more years of tinkering trying in vain to reduce my OCD symptoms.) 

Jan 19th, 2010 - Prozac at 60mg and Zoloft at 125mg. By this time I started experiencing muted orgasm and tinnitus. Decided to taper down meds.

Feb 4th, 2011 - Lexapro at 10mg (after hospital visit during my first withdrawal period. I tapered too fast bit didn't know it at the time.)

Feb 24th, 2011 - Prozac at 40mg with 0.25mg Xanax as needed (Prozac sucks but Lexapro was worse. Lesser of two evils, I guess.) 

Apr 12th, 2012 - Prozac at 60mg and Zoloft at 25mg with Buspar 10mg as needed for sleep (Buspar's the kids' gloves version of Xanax.) 

Jul 18th, 2013 - Prozac still at 60mg (my main B) and no longer taking the Zoloft.)

Mar 5th, 2014 - After months of mounting doubt about the prospects of life-long medication, decided to taper Prozac. Unfortunately, I didn't understand the dangers of SSRI discontinuation syndrome so my taper was only over a period of two months. 

Nov 11th, 2015 - After a nearly year long taper, I took my final 1mg dose of Prozac on my birthday. Finally, I'm SSRI-free. It's a good feeling, though my troubles remain. 

Is a few years a reasonable timeframe for PSSD resolution? I'm trying to make healthier life choices - exercising and eating better as well as avoiding alcohol. I have a hard time doing these things because I am so upset over the PSSD symptoms. Are there are reliable methods for even short term relief?

X,

There are a few members on here that also have pssd.

Please do a search for them. They will be a wonderful source of support.

You can do this by going under the search option and entering in pssd. Under the word search.

What was dr. Shipko's message?

hoping you are well,

Tgirl

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

June 2014 abilify 2.5 remeron wasn't working so abilify was then added

September 2014 woke up with anxiety x 100!!!!

Pdoc then took me from 45 to 7.5 within a month and took abilify from 2.5 to 0

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Vitamin d 5,000 iu taking for about 3 years

October 2014 added fish oil/omega 3 1000 mg per day

Levothyroxitine 100 10 years or so

Dec 2014 started tapering 10% every 10 days-no problems.

August 2015 down to 0.1 mg

Woke up with severe anxiety-sleep issues-racing thoughts-depression. 9/9/15 up dose 1 mg.

Thanks Tgirl. Dr. Shipko audibly groaned when I told him I was on 60mg of Prozac for ten or so years. I've tried to quit before but always ended up in a psych ward. He said that the withdrawal reactions from that will be long lasting and my ability to function will be greater impaired. As if. I had a window a few days ago of intense positive emotion I haven't felt in years. I'm going to stay on the awful Prozac until I see my psych and we gradually taper down.

X,

Is the pssd the main reason your wanting to get off it?

I don't know much about Prozac, but isn't that a high dose?

Hope you are well!

Tgirl

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

June 2014 abilify 2.5 remeron wasn't working so abilify was then added

September 2014 woke up with anxiety x 100!!!!

Pdoc then took me from 45 to 7.5 within a month and took abilify from 2.5 to 0

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Vitamin d 5,000 iu taking for about 3 years

October 2014 added fish oil/omega 3 1000 mg per day

Levothyroxitine 100 10 years or so

Dec 2014 started tapering 10% every 10 days-no problems.

August 2015 down to 0.1 mg

Woke up with severe anxiety-sleep issues-racing thoughts-depression. 9/9/15 up dose 1 mg.

Yeah, it was a high dose over a long period of time. I used it for OCD which typically calls for higher doses of SSRI medication. I went up on the medicine over the years as my own decision. Looking back now I deeply regret doing so. Oh well. I want to be free of medicine. I am hopefull I can be successful.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi X, I'm sorry that you are having such a hard time with prozac, and sorry that Dr Shipko wasn't

able to help. I agree with Alto that holding at 10mg may be enough to help you stabilise. Once you

are stable you can then start a slow taper from the 10mg. Prozac is available in a liquid which makes 

it easier to taper at low doses. I'm sorry but I don't know very much about the PSSD problem, so can't 

offer any thoughts on that subject but I really hope it gets better for you. 

It would help us if you can put your drug and tapering history in your signature, you can find how to do

that here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

We have a topic on PSSD if you would like to look at it, you may find some info there. http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/52-post-ssri-sexual-dysfunction-pssd

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Administrator

xlmp, you are doing the right thing by changing to a healthy lifestyle. Take care of your body and it will heal your nervous system.

If I were you, I would stay at 10mg for quite a while, perhaps some months, before deciding what to do next. It sounds like your system is getting used to it and may be stabilizing.

It may take some time for recovery from the effects of the drug. Could be some number of months, could be a year, could be 3 years.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Thanks for the advice, Alto. As for mamma P, I will add my signature was I have access to my medical records. I have quite the history, haha! I like the hopeful message of this site as oppossed to some of the others. In my hopelessness I was making rash decisions. Believing that I can recover given time may indeed even hasten the recovery. I hope to slowly taper from Prozac over a period of months and be patient, making healthy changes to my body before attempting other

remedies for PSSD.

I'm at the most calm I've felt in months. I'm actually on 20mg of Prozac now. This has stemmed the derealization and cognition issues significantly. The PSSD, though terribly present, no longer gnaws at me with every step. Unfortunately my writing is stilted and my ability to express my emotions, while occurring in a more logical pattern, lacks the same frantic energy as when I was off Prozac weeks ago. I'm hollowed out but no longer suffering so much shame and pain. I have to force myself to react to other situations and other people instead of simply reacting naturally. I'm confident I can get off this stuff and get back to being my old self, if only a faint shadow of who I used to be.

• Moderator Emeritus

xImp, hang in there. This is a tough road but you can do it.

We find that changing doses around actually can make things worse. 20 mg is probably fine, but please don't change again. It's going to take quite a while to stabilize after your CT from such a high dose with such long use plus a history of going on and off various meds at various doses. That's a high risk history and there is just no simple easy way to get out of that trap.

(Shipko is right that your situation is extremely challenging; where we disagree is that it's hopeless. He hasn't seen what we have seen when people go very very slowly and really take their time. It really works, but it requires immense patience and commitment.)

What you're facing now is, first, the need to give your brain time to stabilize and heal. It has remodeled itself around the drugs, so it's going to need to remodel itself to function at the dose you're on now, and that's just going to take time, there's no way around it. Growing a new brain is not a fast process, and your brain doesn't really know how to do it (evolution has not prepared us for what these drugs do to us since we've never encountered them in previous generations). 

Once your brain has stabilized and healed from the trauma of the CT (which will take many months, maybe a year or more) your next project will be a gradual, safe taper, going slow enough that your brain can adjust and remodel itself and heal itself as you taper. That will probably take a couple of years, but it's going to be easier than what you're going through now, because you'll be stable and in control of your taper and you'll be feeling much better.

If you do take the time and go through this process slowly, over the next few years, you will actually end up much better than "a shadow of who you used to be" I think.  If you really take it slow and give your nervous system the time and support it needs to heal and regrow itself, you will get yourself back in ways you can't even imagine right now. I won't go into it, but for me it's been amazing, and I've seen other people do it too, get themselves and their lives back. It is SO worth it.

The biggest challenge is patience and self control. This is a huge undertaking. Take it seriously, approach it as a major life project. The outcome will be worth it.

Right now, and the next year or two, is the roughest part, but hang in there and don't do anything drastic and you'll get through it.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Thanks Rhi. Yeah, I guess I can be panicky and impatient. I'm a young guy and hate the PSSD with a passion. If haste isn't going to improve it then I'll have to wait. A few months on 20mg and then taper slowly. I hope it works!

Hey everyone! I've decided to try the slow taper the next time I see my psych. The more distressing symptoms - derealization, cognition and memory lapses have subsided somewhat. My understanding is that over time these conditions will improve as long as I don't do anything hasty or unwise. My original plan was to try a 20-week taper off of 20mg Prozac, but I think a more conservative (and safer) approach would be a 40-week taper (10% each month for 10 months.) I've been in contact over the phone with someone else with PSSD. He has reported that exercise seems to help alleviate the symptoms somewhat.

• 1 month later...

Another update! Life has been pretty okay recently. The worst of the symptoms have all subsided and I am more or less back to normal (for me normal is my brain on Prozac.)

Having had the most wonderful window where all agoraphobia was gone has given me the hope and motivation to dedicate myself to a slow taper. I can beat this beast. I plan to take a year to taper but will go at my body's schedule and take it as easy as I can.

I'm preparing myself to deal with the more troubling symptoms as they arise. I believe I can be successful.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the update xlm, I'm glad to hear that you are feeling better and have almost stabilized back on 20mg Prozac.  I have no doubt that you will be able to taper off, if you go slow enough.  If symptoms start to arise, you could make smaller cuts.

Are you still having some waves of increased symptoms, or would you say that you have stabilized now? When you are ready, perhaps you could start with a 5% cut to see how you react to that.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Moderator Emeritus

Another update! Life has been pretty okay recently. The worst of the symptoms have all subsided and I am more or less back to normal (for me normal is my brain on Prozac.)

Having had the most wonderful window where all agoraphobia was gone has given me the hope and motivation to dedicate myself to a slow taper. I can beat this beast. I plan to take a year to taper but will go at my body's schedule and take it as easy as I can.

I'm preparing myself to deal with the more troubling symptoms as they arise. I believe I can be successful.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade or anything, it's just that I've been doing this for a long time now, have seen hundreds of people go through it (failing and succeeding both) and the one thing that leads to failure most reliably is trying to go too fast.

You will find that at lower doses (like below 8 or so) the drug effects will lessen, but the taper will become more tricky and need to be slowed down. Under 5 mg is the danger zone where people are most likely to crash and end up back on their original dose or more.

You can probably safely go a bit faster at first, but be extremely diligent about listening to your body, and please please please try to overcome your impatience. It is absolutely not worth it. Everyone thinks they can just use their will power or whatever and bite the bullet and get through the withdrawal symptoms, but everyone who does that, finds out that it's not a matter of strength, or guts, or willpower. Believe me if it was I would have been done a long time ago.

It's like saying willpower will make it possible to overcome gravity and fly. Like with enough willpower and strength you can walk on a broken bone whether or not it has had enough time to heal.

The processes that cause withdrawal symptoms are complex and real and can't be avoided or beaten. The only thing that works is to take it as slow as your body needs, so your nervous system can heal, and that's just not a fast thing. 

There is a reason Shipko is so pessimistic. I can be pessimistic too, actually, not because it can't be done (because I know it can) but because so few people will actually listen when I tell them what actually works, and so many people think they can just do it as fast as they want and will just keep pushing in spite of their symptoms. 

Seriously, if you want to do this and really make it work, take it slow.

Also, read Anatomy of an Epidemic, if you haven't yet.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

My original plan was to try a 20-week taper off of 20mg Prozac, but I think a more conservative (and safer) approach would be a 40-week taper (10% each month for 10 months.)

xlmp,

Greetings from the bottom of the world...im trying my hardest to go a day without posting but its not easy.

Couple of things,

..this so called conservative taper you are planning does not appear to be a conservative taper, from what i can see. If you read the tapering at 10% thread you will see that  the next months dose is 0.9 times the previous months dose. This taper will take 30 months from a 20mg start. This taper gives the greatest chance for success.

What i believe you are planning to attempt is a constant drop of 2mg per month (being 10% of the original dose of 20 mg)...sorry that is too fast...and not the type of taper recommended here. This taper takes as you say 10 months but you may not reach the end of it without being sent back to start again.

I have seen many get down to 20 from higher doses in an ok state that is the easy part getting off the last 20 is not so easy in fact it can be very difficult and this is where i perhaps see things a little different from Rhi for I believe its critical to start slowly from 20 mg, especailly also in light of the way you got to 20. 

eg 5% per 1-2 month to start with esp if one has been on for some time or exposed to a revolving smorgasboard of these chemicals. Both of which you have been. The wdl symptoms are delayed so you may get to 12mg and think all is fine then bam ...you are hit from a previous dose drop but from which dose drop? from 'who knows what stage' and its 'back to jail do not pass go do not collect $200 -start all over again'

Re : Shipko ..i agree with Rhi.

You know what i reckon these wonderful people world experts may well not be doing/seeing  a 5% per month or per several months or 10 % taper with people so they perhaps imo may not even conceive of such slowness in tapering that is why they are not positive about people getting off they are not doing the taper time with people. Remember these people are not seeing people every day unlike these forums so they may not be following patients progress or reminding people of the need to stick to the game plan as such some may think 'oh 10% taper is nice but thats for everyone else except me, cos i can tough this out ' ...I am sure it would not be cheap to see these people every other day either.

I know of a person in my town he went on paxil in 95 started doing a taper in 2005 and in 2015 after 10 years of doing very long holds and very tiny drops using a razor blade to cut shavings off is now on 5mg  and had very little wdl symptoms. We have been open in our talking but not too open yet i have inferred from things said that he has severe pssd and like so many have silently accepted this 'obscenely wrong new normal'  . I am in my 5yr of pssd and i see no sign of an improvement at this stage in fact i feel as if i have been rendered an asexual being. I am only speaking for myself you may well have recovery. 

Here is a quote from Whitakers book,

When it comes to dead bodies in current psychotropic trials there are a greater number of them in the active treatment group than in the placebo groups. This is quite different from what happens in penicillin trials or trials of drugs that really work.

David Healy 2008

I like Healy ..he calls a spade a spade!

So thats my 2 cents worth and my one post for the day....i'm on rations!

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Thanks for the replies, everyone! I will respond to each in turn.

Petu - I still have small windows and waves. During windows I tend to be more optimistic and energetic and able to interact with the world. The waves aren't too bad; I mainly experience increased anxiety or lethargy. I sleep a lot more than I did during acute withdrawal where I would reliably wake up at 4:00am and 8:00am in utter panic, which is unfortunately an experience many on this board would recognize.

Rhi - I will not chain myself to a schedule. It will take as long as it takes and I will try my best to be patient and listen to my brain and body as I decrease my dose. I won't try to reduce in order to meet any deadline but let my experiences be my guide. I have read and enjoyed Anatomy of an Epidemic and follow Whitaker and Healy's activities and advice with interest.

nz11 - I will go at my body's pace and not attempt to rush what can't be rushed. Thanks for the advice.

Thanks for the replies, everyone! I will respond to each in turn.

Petu - I still have small windows and waves. During windows I tend to be more optimistic and energetic and able to interact with the world. The waves aren't too bad; I mainly experience increased anxiety or lethargy. I sleep a lot more than I did during acute withdrawal where I would reliably wake up at 4:00am and 8:00am in utter panic, which is unfortunately an experience many on this board would recognize.

Rhi - I will not chain myself to a schedule. It will take as long as it takes and I will try my best to be patient and listen to my brain and body as I decrease my dose. I won't try to reduce in order to meet any deadline but let my experiences be my guide. I have read and enjoyed Anatomy of an Epidemic and follow Whitaker and Healy's activities and advice with interest.

nz11 - I will go at my body's pace and not attempt to rush what can't be rushed. Thanks for the advice.

Hey there! Just to say that I also have PSSD and was on 50mg citalopram for three years. if you need someone to chat to I am here as I am going through the same

All the best

Selena

Hoh boy, I had quite the wave today! I'll keep this experience in mind as a reminder when I taper the dosage of Prozac not to go too fast!

• 3 weeks later...

Ugh, another wave. I'm going to meetings to avoid drinking, which is a pernicious habit of mine. I'm working on CBT methods to deal with OCD. I use the Four Steps advocated in "Brain Lock."

It's strange, as hopeful as I am that I will heal and as glad I am that I am no longer in the throes of utter terror, I deeply regret doing this damage to my brain over the years. It wasn't something I intended nor something I realized was possible, but I still long for days that could have been. Oh well. My cognitiion is intact and my memory is returning piece by piece. PSSD remains but I have hope I will see improvements. I caved in and took a prescribed stimulant which seems to have alleviate some of the dysfunction. It isn't a good long-term strategy but the relief is welcome might even be worth the risk.

I am pretty worried about what my experience tapering will be. During my waves I experience extreme suicidal ideation of the sort that seems alien yet at the same time utterly compelling. It's like some sort of primal fear that rips through me. The feelings of "this is forever unless you end it now" seem to be a common withdrawal symptom. These drugs do terrible things to the mind, and though our brains will recover given time and care, we must not forget the wounds we've sufferred or those who have inflicted them upon us. When I have saved up more money and if I am able to maintain my employment during my taper I hope to pursue a career in either public health or clinical psychology. I will use the rage I have resulting from what I've lost combined with the brain and willpower I am building now to help ensure a better world so that others aren't as likely to suffer the way I have. That sounds a bit vainglorious but I need to be dramatic in order to motivate myself and match the intensity of the trials I am enduring.

I talked to my psychiatrist about my plan to taper and he seems supportive. I will pick up liquid Prozac tomorrow and start with a 2mg reduction for the first month. I'm looking forward to being free of this awful chemical. I'm more or less back to where I was before which is being depressed 24/7 but stable and able to make decisions. In a year or so I may feel much more alive. Though the PSSD may remain for years on out I will be able to smile with there actually being genuine feeling behind it.

On 18mg of Prozac! My first reduction is going okay so far. I have to wait it out this month and then reduce another 2mg the next. I hope I can get through this okay, I loathe being on this stuff.

• 1 month later...

I wish everyone the best in luck in their healing! I am at 16mg of Prozac now and doing fine. I know the 10% taper should be at your current dose, but it is so much easier for me to measure out 2mg or 1mg amounts. I am still figuring out how fast my brain is healing - seemingly so far it heals pretty quickly. I won't push it or go faster than I need to and won't be afraid to have long holds if I need to but unless I really start suffering I will stick to 2mg or 1mg reductions.

Great your doing well!

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

• Moderator Emeritus

You might do okay with 2mg drops for a while, but I think under 10mg you'll want to make smaller drops (e.g. 10, 9, 8, 7.5, 7, 6.5) and then smaller again below 5mg.  It's okay to do a not exact percentage taper, but keep the 10% in mind as a guideline for the maximum drop amount.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

• 4 weeks later...

Sure thing. I am having a hard time avoiding alcohol but am doing better now. I don't seem to be suffering too terribly from withdrawal but the SSRI numbness really gets to me still. I take fish oil and I haven't noticed any drastic improvements but will continue trying it out.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone! Just wanted to give a bit of an update. I'm at 13mg of Prozac now and doing pretty well. I cut by 1mg every two weeks or so. I'm not the most diligent or dedicated of people so I tend to change my plans as I go along but I seem to be doing okay! I still drink and smoke too much but I'm able to hold down a job and talk to people and live in my own head without wanting to blow my brains out, so those are all pluses, right? I wish everyone the best of luck in their healing and will provide further updates down the line.

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone! I hope all is well. I'm down to 8mg now. I have found this taper so far to not be too terrible. I am going a bit faster than the recommended rate but I find being able to go at my own pace to be psychologically important for me to such an extent it outways the risk, in my opinion. I reduce every two weeks by 1mg. I'll see how this goes. I aim to be off the drug by my birthday in Novemember. We'll see how well that works out.

• Administrator

Good to hear, xlmp. A decrease of 1mg from 8mg is 12.5%, the proportion of your decreases is getting bigger.

You may wish to play it safe and reduce by .5mg every 2 weeks from this point.

Sure thing.

Well, one of the bits of wisdom I've gathered on this site is to avoid excessive stimulation while in withdrawal. This morning one my roommates (a middle-aged woman) assaulted me for "making too much noise" while snacking in the kitchen at night and waking up her kids. She pushed me and screamed in my face. When the landlord was called over she yelled "I am going to kill him" in reference to me with multiple witnesses in the house. I gathered up my stuff and packed it into my car and drove to a local coffee shop and when I parked I realized she had slashed one of my tires. I called the police and am now looking for another place to stay. Yay life experience! I'm glad I held my own though, withdrawal or not.

• Administrator

That sounds terrible. You definitely need a more peaceful place to live.

Haha, yeah, that's for sure.