SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

mary2: Paxil

mary2

I tried to introduce myself but it said locked on page. So I'll say hello hello here. I'm on my 2nd decrease of paxil. I'm doing well. I found very useful the 10% reduction procedure. I find magnesium and taking paxil at bedtime better. Thank God you exist. I use the Gemini weighing machine and it v works well. I have liquid but it's too concentrated cos 20 drops to 20mg. It's so nice to have other people.

Edited by scallywag
tags

1) cortone acetate 25 mg for hypoadrenalism 2) Tirosint for hypo thyroidism 50 mg/1ml 3)Didrogyll for vitamin d for osteoporosis 4)Benzos/anti depressants:Cross over to Valium in Feb 2022  Now at 8mg. Smooth. Citalapram 6 mg for months.Zolpidem 5 mg for sleep.Supplements:magnesium malate3000mg,2mg melatonin

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mary2

• brassmonkey

• ChessieCat

• Altostrata

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Mary and welcome.   I'm new to this site also - I belonged to another site which closed recently and suddenly.  The people here are just awesome.  Very kind and friendly.   It is really nice to have company on this journey.  xxxx

Put on Prothiaden for severe depression in 1989.  Recovered.   Prescribed Paxil for another bout of depression around 2000.   Have been trying to taper ever since but always crash about 2 months after getting to zero.   Because of the crashes, for years I thought that there was something wrong with me.   Then found that the crashes were simply withdrawal.   Now following a maximum of a 10% reduction every month or so and ready to slow down any time I feel any symptoms whatsoever.  Feeling good:).

7th Jan 15 - 3.6mg

28th Jan 15 - 3.2mg

Hello and welcome. I use the gemini scale as well. When you are at 1.2 mg and don't have liquid the scale is necessary. Glad you have one. Hope you find comfort and support here. I did. There are wonderful caring people here.

2002-put on amitryptiline for fibromyalgia. 10mg.2004-stopped abruptly. Didn't think it helped.2006 approx.-put on Paxil for mild anxiety 20 mg.2007 upped to 40 mg. not sure why.2011- tapered from 40 to 10. went nuts and went back to 20mg2014- tapered from 20mg to 0 from April to The end of June.current meds- Metformin(type 2 diabetic) and low dose aspirin.Take multi vitamin and vit b12, vit. D and magnesium. 5 months off Paxil. Still suffering.recently added 1.2mg of Paxil to alleviate withdrawals.(Nov 30)Dropped to .9mg because having symptoms from reinstatement.(dec 23)<p>taper to .76mg-.8mg (Feb 3) approx. weight .010 to about .008-.009 on scale.
.6mg (march 19th.) .5mg(April 19th)
.4mg(April 27th)
.2 (June 27th)

0mg.  done taper at beginning of August.

Hi Mary2,

You introduced yourself in exactly the right place. This is your topic and will be the place for you to put all of your information on how your taper is going and ask questions specific to your journey. You may wish to bookmark it so you can always refer to it.

Thank you for also creating a signature.

Here is our topic for tapering off Paxil:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/405-tips-for-tapering-off-paxil-paroxetine/?hl=%2Bpaxil+%2Btips

and a few other topics you may be interested in as you taper lower:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6036-why-taper-paper-demonstrates-importance-of-gradual-change-in-plasma-concentration/

Our Symptoms and Self Care forum is great for ideas on how to cope while you are decreasing. You may also ask questions there if you do not see a topic that precisely addresses your particular symptom (do a search on topics first).

We have a great deal of info on magnesium there too.

We are glad to have you here!

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Mary, welcome from me too.  If you find the liquid difficult you can dilute it to make it easier to get the low doses 

and more accurate at the very low end when you get under 1mg. 

I'm glad you found us, it's the best place on the net for tapering support. :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Gosh you are all so nice. I must the site is very professional. I too cine from a site closed recently but I didn't expect such a wonderful welcome. People are very important for us. Communication/people help me a lot.

1) cortone acetate 25 mg for hypoadrenalism 2) Tirosint for hypo thyroidism 50 mg/1ml 3)Didrogyll for vitamin d for osteoporosis 4)Benzos/anti depressants:Cross over to Valium in Feb 2022  Now at 8mg. Smooth. Citalapram 6 mg for months.Zolpidem 5 mg for sleep.Supplements:magnesium malate3000mg,2mg melatonin

It's Mary again. I was thinking of taking milk of magnesia. I suffer severe constipation. Any advice? It's really is awesome this site. I'll be pay Palling you soon.

It's me again.I suffer dreadful memory problems? Is it the paxil or ambience? Will I ever get my memory back?

Also how can I dilute liquid paxil which is 20 drops 20mg. It's obviously too concentrated. Dilute with water? How much so I dont lose my bearings? Be patient . I have found a goldmine in this site to answer my questions. ):

The liquid paxil I have is 20 drops to 20mg. Can I dilute it with water? Thanks

Hi mary2,

Members may have only one topic in the Introductions area, I moved your question about diluting your liquid here because it pertains to your situation and topic. I will check with the other mods and see if we can get some of your questions answered, ok? It is a bit short staffed here at the moment but someone is always near.

Hang in there! Keep reading on the site, especially in the Tapering area, and you may find the answers to a lot of your questions.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

Hello Mary,

Just wanted to say hello.

For stomach problems, you could try magnesium. It also helps with sleep.

Ginger is another.

wish you well,

Tgirl

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

June 2014 abilify 2.5 remeron wasn't working so abilify was then added

September 2014 woke up with anxiety x 100!!!!

Pdoc then took me from 45 to 7.5 within a month and took abilify from 2.5 to 0

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Vitamin d 5,000 iu taking for about 3 years

October 2014 added fish oil/omega 3 1000 mg per day

Levothyroxitine 100 10 years or so

Dec 2014 started tapering 10% every 10 days-no problems.

August 2015 down to 0.1 mg

Woke up with severe anxiety-sleep issues-racing thoughts-depression. 9/9/15 up dose 1 mg.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Mary,

I will try and answer your questions, but I'm not a doctor and can only give you my opinion based on my own experiences and what I've learned here.

It's Mary again. I was thinking of taking milk of magnesia. I suffer severe constipation. Any advice? It's really is awesome this site. I'll be pay Palling you soon.

I've heard that milk of magnesia can help with constipation, and most forms of magnesium can too, if you take enough of it.  We actually recommend magnesium to help with withdrawal symptoms, see:

Magnesium, Nature's Calcium Channel Blocker

I've had no problems with constipation since I've been taking magnesium citrate every day.

It's me again.I suffer dreadful memory problems? Is it the paxil or ambience? Will I ever get my memory back?
Also how can I dilute liquid paxil which is 20 drops 20mg. It's obviously too concentrated. Dilute with water? How much so I dont lose my bearings? Be patient . I have found a goldmine in this site to answer my questions. ):

Do you mean Ambien?  Ambien (zolpidem) is a sedative, also called a hypnotic. Ambien is used to treat insomnia. One of the side effects of this drug are memory problems, see:

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/ambien-side-effects.html

The liquid paxil I have is 20 drops to 20mg. Can I dilute it with water? Thanks

You can use water to dilute it, it’s a good idea to use bottled or filtered water rather than tap water if you want to dilute it. This prevents any chemicals in the tap water affecting the medicine.

You want to know how many mg there are per ml.  According to our paxil tapering tips:

Paxil Oral Suspension (liquid) comes in a concentration of 10 mg/5ml    but please check on your bottle to make sure this is correct.

If this is correct and you add 5ml water to 5ml of paxil liquid, then 1ml of the mixture would contain 1mg of paxil. 

You might find some more help in this topic:

Using an oral syringe and other tapering techniques

If you need more help, please let us know.

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

How do I find my posts and replies

? Thanks

Hi mary2,

I have merged your question into your journal as we have a policy of having only one topic per member in the Introductions forum. To easily find it again, you may wish to bookmark (or make it a 'favorite') in your browser. To do this, wile you are viewing your topic, hold down the key marked CTRL on your keyboard and while holding it, also press the letter 'd'. That is a shortcut that works in nearly every browser.

(The CTRL key is usually located at the far left bottom of most keyboards on a desktop or laptop (Windows). If you are using a phone or tablet Android), it is in the browser menu or sometimes a 'star' icon near the address bar will bring up the command. For an iPhone, I'd have to look it up.)

The only other option (when you have not posted for awhile) is to click the words 'Load more topics' an the bottom of a forum list until yours becomes visible. Some members put a link to their initial post in their sig like I have done. Then all you have to do is find ANY recent post of yours and click to home in on your journal content.

Thanks. I need advice about petu s reply. I am so gone that I don't know how to dose my liquid paxil. It says "20 drops equivalent of 20mg paroxetina" " 1 ml contains paroxetine mesilate equal to 33.1 mg of paroxetine"

could you tell me , according to my dilution, how much mineral water to add ? I had 20th tablets before and I am now at 255 mg. Basically I don't know how many drops to take at my next taper. Or if I have to use a syringe. Please help

20mg not 20th

Could you please clarify this? What is the dose you are wanting to taper DOWN to (hoping it is a decrease of no more than 10% and that you are feeling stable after your most recent drop). Surely not '255mg'. It would help immensely if you put the dates AND amounts of what drugs you are taking in your signature line. As it stands now, we cannot tell WHAT to tell you.

If you take 1 ml of the liquid you have you will ingest '33.1 mg' if you have correctly stated what is on the label (please double check). If you want to take '25.5 mg' that requires a formula to calculate and dosing it correctly might involve using a syringe. Those can sometimes be gotten from a pharmacist or even a veterinarian's office (if you tell them you want it for measuring, not injecting. They can keep the needle).

Petu gave you some links above that might help. Read her post again.

Here is the husband. My wife is not taking 255 mg of paroxitine. She is taking 13.14 mg which are contained in a tablet that we cut at 255 mg overall. Just to set the right measures.

Now she would like to switch from tablets to liquid. The trade name is daparox (active principle is paroxitine) and two target measures seem relevant: 1 ml contains 33.1 mg of paroxetine and 1 drop contains 1 mg. I assume the hole in the tap was designed to produce drops of appropriate size.

To help my wife to better calibrate the mg she has to take I had this idea I want to double check with you. I take an empty bottle, at least four times bigger than the parox bottle.I pour all the parox liquid into the empty bottle.Then I refill the parox bottle (now empty) with exactly the same level of water. I pour the water into the bigger bottle. I mix, then with the help of a syringe I bring the mix back into the parox bottle (I want to use the calibrated hole). At this point each drop will contain 0.5 mg of paroxetine. It will be easier to make little doses. In case we can go further. If I mix in the bigger bottle 1 bottle of parox and 3 refill of water of same bottle and same size then the mix brought back to the parox bottle will produce drops of 0.25 mg of paroxetine. Thanks for help.

I have asked the other mods to help and I am waiting for their input. First of all, according to the sig line, you are making 15% drops which we do not recommend, especially when your nervous system is sensitized. This can often produce destabilization or make it worse. The idea is drops of 10% or less OF THE CURRENT dose and only when you are feeling relatively stable from the previous drop.

In the example above USING A LIQUID  and referring to the signature, the first drop of 10% would be 18% and be 18 drops, you can drop these into a larger cup of water and be sure to drink it all and add a rinse to the cup and drink that too.

Second drop is from 18mg to 16.2 mg and here is where you need to start using a syringe because the .2 is unmeasurable with drops.

18 X 10% = 1.8

18 - 1.8 = 16.2

This is as far as I can go at the moment because I need to see what the syringes look like, I cannot find any of mine and my brain is not cooperating.

1cc is roughly the same as 1ml is as far as I go right now.

Edited by cymbaltawithdrawal5600
fixed spelling

Still following along on your sig line:

a 15% drop from 350 mg to 300 mg is not correct, the total is actually 280.5 mg and this is a WEIGHT, correct? Based on the weight initially of a 20 mg paroxetine pill?

350 X 0.15 = 52.5

350 - 52.5 = 280.5

You are mixing weights and dosages and these are for a solid pill. The liquid is not equivalently measured.

So to continue with the 10% analogy, if you have a solution that is 20 mg per ml (cc), a 10% reduction would be to 18 mg and would be measured out most accurately using a 2 cc syringe which has markings in tenths. You'd draw up 1.8 cc's of liquid and dose that.

The next 10 % drop would be to 16.2 mg (the drop is always recommended to be 10% OF THE CURRENT DOSE. You will soon see why using a syringe is more accurate for measuring out the liquid than using the dropper on the bottle).

So here is why I have to stop because you say above that EACH DROP OF THE LIQUID CONTAINS 1 ML OF A SOLUTION IN A STRENGTH OF 33.1 MG OF THE DRUG IN 1 ML OF SOLUTION.

The amounts do not match so you need to address what I am asking.

I think I'll keep on tablet form and use my Gemini macchine. And obviously get my calculations right. The strange thing is that since I have been reducing I have lost even more of my memory but I shall continue. Thank you for being so kind.

• Moderator Emeritus

Here is the husband. My wife is not taking 255 mg of paroxitine. She is taking 13.14 mg which are contained in a tablet that we cut at 255 mg overall. Just to set the right measures.

Now she would like to switch from tablets to liquid. The trade name is daparox (active principle is paroxitine) and two target measures seem relevant: 1 ml contains 33.1 mg of paroxetine and 1 drop contains 1 mg. I assume the hole in the tap was designed to produce drops of appropriate size.

To help my wife to better calibrate the mg she has to take I had this idea I want to double check with you. I take an empty bottle, at least four times bigger than the parox bottle.I pour all the parox liquid into the empty bottle.Then I refill the parox bottle (now empty) with exactly the same level of water. I pour the water into the bigger bottle. I mix, then with the help of a syringe I bring the mix back into the parox bottle (I want to use the calibrated hole). At this point each drop will contain 0.5 mg of paroxetine. It will be easier to make little doses. In case we can go further. If I mix in the bigger bottle 1 bottle of parox and 3 refill of water of same bottle and same size then the mix brought back to the parox bottle will produce drops of 0.25 mg of paroxetine. Thanks for help.

Your dilutions are accurate and will work the way you describe. However, you need to be careful manipulating that liquid since it's so concentrated that if you lose even a small amount (which clings to the inside of the bottle or whatever) it will throw off your calculations considerably. (33 mg per 1 mL is VERY concentrated.)

If it's at all possible, I would investigate and see if you can find a manufacturer that makes a less concentrated liquid form (like a pediatric formulation, for example). Ideally no more than 5 mg per 1 mL.

Or you may be able to get a compounding pharmacy to compound a more dilute liquid for you.

The dry cutting is probably fine for now but when you get down to 5 mg or so it is going to be difficult to make sufficiently small cuts. Paxil really needs to be tapered slowly at those low doses. So you have some time now, if I were you I'd use it to investigate the various options for liquids.

It's not difficult to dissolve tablets and make your own liquid (that's what I do). Instructions are in the Tapering section.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

That's exactly the conclusion I cane to this evening. I'll stay on tablet form for now. I'll go look at how you you deal with 5mg and under. In tapering section.

Rhi. I went to tapering section but I can't find how you liquefy your tablets.

I take my dose of tablet and sometimes I take in a capsule and sometimes without. In the latter case I find a burning in my gullet. I also notice that there is a film around the tablet . Is it a protection? I live in Europe and it is difficult to get smaller concentrations. I will search. But with 5th and under would my Gemini not work?

• Moderator Emeritus

Rhi. I went to tapering section but I can't find how you liquefy your tablets.

I take my dose of tablet and sometimes I take in a capsule and sometimes without. In the latter case I find a burning in my gullet. I also notice that there is a film around the tablet . Is it a protection? I live in Europe and it is difficult to get smaller concentrations. I will search. But with 5th and under would my Gemini not work?

If you get burning in your stomach when taking the dry tablet it would be best to put it in 

a capsule.  I can't say what the film is but you could ask the pharmacist.  

Here is the topic for making a liquid. http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2693-how-to-make-a-liquid-from-tablets-or-capsules/

I bought a gemini scale but it isn't accurate enough for the doses I was needing, fractions of a mg.

I can't get the thing to behave even at mg but I'm useless with technology and maths, put a decimal point in there and I'm lost! 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Administrator

Welcome, mary. I'll try to answer a few of your questions.

How do I find my posts and replies
? Thanks

Look at the top right of this page. Click on the tiny arrow next to your name. If you click on My Content, you will see your topics and posts.

You may wish to follow this topic, your Intro topic. Click on the big gray Follow This Topic button in the upper right area. If you have e-mail notifications set up, you will get e-mail everytime there is a post in this topic.

Thanks. I need advice about petu s reply. I am so gone that I don't know how to dose my liquid paxil. It says "20 drops equivalent of 20mg paroxetina" " 1 ml contains paroxetine mesilate equal to 33.1 mg of paroxetine"
could you tell me , according to my dilution, how much mineral water to add ? I had 20th tablets before and I am now at 255 mg. Basically I don't know how many drops to take at my next taper. Or if I have to use a syringe. Please help

"Drops" is a way of measuring using an eyedropper. According to http://www.unitconversion.org/volume/drops-to-milliliters-conversion.html,

20 drops = 1mL

Therefore, your liquid has 20mg paroxetine in 1 milliliter, which is very concentrated. You could add 19mL of water to 1mL of the Daparox liquid to dilute it. Then you would have 20mg paroxetine in 20mL. If you wish to take a dose of 19mg, you would take 19mL.

Thank you for your help. Please see How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules , it will explain how to use an oral syringe to measure water for titration.

Also see my remarks above.

Not sure what the hole in the tap is. It may be the place to fit the oral syringe. See Using an oral syringe and other tapering techniques particularly http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/235-using-an-oral-syringe-and-other-tapering-techniques/?p=21391

Can you post a photo of the top of the bottle, showing the tap and hole?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.I just want to say I feel MUCH better. I take paxil at night together with various alternatives.to help sleep. Magnesium, benadryl,ambien, valium. I switch them around when my body gets used to them. I do weekly mountain walks which help enormously. I no longer suet from the terrible tiredness. I still suffer cognitive problems and memory. I'm doing 10% cuts every 2.5 weeks. I confirm the nightmares. Recently I sleep a lot which is strange cos I'm taking less paxil and less ambien. I'll sort out the signature after I send this email. THANK YOU all.

• Administrator

Good to hear, Mary.

Ambien can cause memory problems. Are you still taking it as frequently?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Mary/husband of Mary . .  I hope things are continuing to improve.

I had a few thoughts while reading your thread.

1.  it's not ideal to be using valium , specially inconsistently.  Benadryl too, that's an antihistamine and we need histamine to manage anxiety.

2. on a site called    drugs.com  there's a drug interaction checker.  You can plug in benedryl , ambien , valium and paxil to see if there are any contraindications.

3. from all the anecdotal evidence I've read on here , two and a half weeks is too short a time to be staying on each dose in a taper.   People get bad results from decreasing that quickly - they feel fine initially then get hit hard weeks or even months later.  Please don't try and rush it - you won't win that way.

I hope you're doing okay . . . how has the past week been?

Best wishes ,    Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Oh Mary, what a place to be? :wacko:   

I remember so well the confusion, the isolation, the misunderstandings, the anger at those we thought we could trust, the doctors, the 'professionals', who themselves were conned by the big pharmaceuticals, and this does not mean that I am a drug nazi, just that I was not properly informed.......and the informer was misinformed him/herself, doctors, ie. :huh:  

The best I know is that your taper should be sure but steady.  Big periods between each 10% drop.  I am no-one to talk as I, at one time was using a school ruler to measure each drop.  It became insane, with the exactitude of each drop.  Somehow or other I worked my way through, slowly doing it.  Slow is the key. :excl:

It does get better, and to coin a phrase: "patience is a virtue, possess it if you can, seldom found in women, but never in  a man". :blink:

Keep batting...... steeley - I'm from Gwandanaland - Australia.    

Prescribed 30mg Mirtazapine approximately 10 years ago.  PTSD 

C/T 50% of dose - dreadful, hellish

Begin to reduce by 10% every 3-6 weeks

now:

5.11.14 4.50mg - going to wait a bit longer

• 3 months later...

Sorry. I get lost on forum. I'm down to a third of paXilv (10% every 14 days). I take it at night. till half way thru tablet i slept well.

Now I have huge problems.

The ambiem I'm using to sleep isn't working. I'm taking about 0.6 mg. Plus valium about 7mg.

I'm feeling well psych. I know paxil helped sleep in past. My question is do I up the valium? In any case I have to withdraw valium/ambiem after paxil. Thanks

mary2 if you are tapering 10% every14 days that is too fast.

Its rec here to wait for a month. Or as Petu says wait until you are stable before doing the next drop.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Mary,

I moved the above 2 posts from another intro thread. Please 'follow' this topic or bookmark it so you will be able to find it again easily.

You have been tapering too fast. We suggest reducing by no more than 10% of the current dose every 4 weeks, this reduces the risk of withdrawal symptoms arising. Please read through this which will explain why:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 1 month later...

Hi guys

just wanted to thank you all deeply for being here. My redction from paxil is going well. I did do the 10 % reduction for 2 months and then every 2 weeks. At 6 mg approx I switched to liquid paxil. I already feel better. The most terrible dispiosi ( stinky intestines ) has disappeared. I feel less depressed. My memory and reasoning faculties are still bad but I feel better.

I've managed to even reduce some of the Benzi I take though I know it's not recommended.

just wanted to say a big thank you. I have a few months to go but as I reduced I felt better .

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I m down to 4.5 mg of paroxetine, 18 drops. I have been respecting the 10% rule. I reduce once a week(1 week was in thè tapering possibilities). Before every 2 weeks.

I have noticed severe concentration, memory problems. Doing accounts difficult and reasoning abilities .

Is this due to WD or the fact that paxil has fried my brain? I didn't notice it so much before. Maybe cos my brain was so fried. Or am I suffering WD symptoms ?

I have only had bad headaches which went away by switching to drops. Probably cos the drops are more precise.

thanks in advance

Hi

I m down to 4.5 mg of paroxetine, 18 drops. I have been respecting the 10% rule. I reduce once a week(1 week was in thè tapering possibilities). Before every 2 weeks.

I have noticed severe concentration, memory problems. Doing accounts difficult and reasoning abilities .

Is this due to WD or the fact that paxil has fried my brain? I didn't notice it so much before. Maybe cos my brain was so fried. Or am I suffering WD symptoms ?

I have only had bad headaches which went away by switching to drops. Probably cos the drops are more precise.

thanks in advance