SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

mary2: Paxil

mary2

Sorry to add another post. In the original tapering possibilities I'm sure I read that i could reduce even every week 10 % if i had no WD symptoms. With drops maybe it's more precise. I have no physical WD problems.

BUT I cannot distinguish if the cognitive problems mentioned above are WD symptoms or the fact my brain is fried from 2 years of paxil. Hope I've been clear. Paxil has ruined my reasoning .thanks

1) cortone acetate 25 mg for hypoadrenalism 2) Tirosint for hypo thyroidism 50 mg/1ml 3)Didrogyll for vitamin d for osteoporosis 4)Benzos/anti depressants:Cross over to Valium in Feb 2022  Now at 8mg. Smooth. Citalapram 6 mg for months.Zolpidem 5 mg for sleep.Supplements:magnesium malate3000mg,2mg melatonin

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mary2

• brassmonkey

• ChessieCat

• Altostrata

Top Posters In This Topic

I just found the 1 week possibility in taPerin below

"If no problems after 4.5 months of very gradual reduction, you may be able to reduce by 10% every week."

1) cortone acetate 25 mg for hypoadrenalism 2) Tirosint for hypo thyroidism 50 mg/1ml 3)Didrogyll for vitamin d for osteoporosis 4)Benzos/anti depressants:Cross over to Valium in Feb 2022  Now at 8mg. Smooth. Citalapram 6 mg for months.Zolpidem 5 mg for sleep.Supplements:magnesium malate3000mg,2mg melatonin

Tapering

Hi Mary--  That one sentence contradicts the experience of hundreds of people.  If you are having symptoms like you mention, and concentration and memory problems are symptoms, then you are tapering too fast.  The recommended minimum time between drops is four weeks.  It takes four days for the drug to establish a stable mount in the blood after each drop and the effects of a drop may not even show up for many weeks.  By the time they show up a person has done several more drops and it just compounds the problems.  Also the lower dosages, say from 5mg on down, have the greatest effect on the nervous system making small slow drops a must.  I would suggest that you hold where you are for 6-8 weeks to let things stabilize, which should also help reduce your symptoms.  Then restart your 10% taper but only do it every 6 weeks.  I know it is disheartening and frustrating to have to take a long time to do the last little bit, but it is much better to take the extra time and not suffer a big setback when you least expect it.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

So you confirm that cognitive problems are WD symptoms?? I thought only PHYSICAL symptoms like headache were WD symptoms. Please clarify that cognitive problems are WD symptoms. I will do what you say but I need to know deep down that what I'm suffering is WD symptoms. Please confirm. Thanks brass monkey

I don't mind waiting 6 weeks. I just need confirmation that cognitive problems are WD symptoms and not the result of 2 years of paxil use. I got bad headaches half way through taper and increased paxil slightly. They went away. As a result I thought ONLY physical symptoms were WD .

Brain fog, forgetfulness, not being able to finish sentences because you can't call up the right words, forgetting why you went into a room, emotional blunting, anhedonia (not feeling anything), crying over anything. Those are some of the more "popular" cognitive symptoms.  Just about any mental problem can be attributed to WD.  It is not uncommon for doctors to label  people as bipolar from the symptoms they present when in fact it is just a combination of WD symptoms.  Then on top of it you can throw in deep depression and extreme anxiety. That's not to say that you will get all of those, but if you do have them its pretty sure that it is WD.  One good thing is that they eventually will go away.  I had everything but the deep depression and anxiety during my taper, and over time they have all improved. I'm still on a small dose so they haven't gone completely away, but I am miles better than I was just a year ago.

Hope that helps.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Administrator

mary, it sounds like reducing every week is too fast for you. If I were you, I'd hold on tapering for at least a month.

We don't advise tapering at 10% more often than every 2 weeks.

See Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist (PDF)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks brass monkey and alto strata. I realise that I sometimes don't quite understand what is being told to me. Brain fog!!. So should I go back to 20 drops ? Or just hold out till I feel better on 18 drops? It is very difficult to distinguish what is WD symptoms and what might be paxil related use. I've been very lucky to decrease every 2 weeks till recently. I also suffer from hypo adrenalism and take cortisone every day. I know this illness causes cognitive problems.I will now go slowly as I'm almost at the end. I will write again cos I realise I'm not lucid enough. Thanks in the meantime. I take fish oil and magnesium and benadryl. Also 1mg of ambien to get to sleep. I know I should change my signature but I can't find it !!

Thank you for such clear and kind replies. Just re reading it today I realise how unclear I am. Foggy. I have been very lucky cos the only WD symptons I have had were 2 days of headaches. Perhaps also fogginess but I didn't realise it at the time. Thank you for replying .

Hi Mary--  the combination of magnesium and Benadryl is a good source of brain fog.  I use it at night to help go to sleep, during the day it just wipes me out.  Unless you're having allergy problems I would cut out the Benadryl.  For the time being I would stay put on the 18 drops and let things settle out.  Another good thing would be to start keeping a record of what your are feeling, symptoms, moods, reactions.  It will come in very useful in trying to find patterns and the like.  It is almost impossible to remember exactly what you were going through just a couple of weeks ago and it is very important to be able to recall the times when you are feeling good.  This thread is your personal journal for recording your thoughts, doses, good and bad times and asking any questions.

Oh brass thank you. I'll take advantage as you're on line.

I NEED to sleep. At the moment I use valium drops ( 1mg) , ambien(1mg), magnesium , melatonin and diphenhydramine.

Ambien helps me to fall asleep but sometimes I wake up cos it has a short half life. I don't whether to ditch everything and just use valium at a higher dose. What Do You Think ?

I have diphenhydramine and doxylamine tablets. Would the latter combined with magnesium also give me brain fog ? I could ditch the magnesium for a while cos I think my body has got used to it.please reply

Well, every one of those except the magnesium will contribute to brain fog.  I would not increase the valium as it is a benzodiazepine and they come with their own set or problems.  Yea Ambien will get you to sleep, but it won't keep you there.  Some people report good results with valerian.  Unfortunately, insomnia is a big part of WD for many people, so getting what sleep you can when you can is a big thing. One thing I have seen is that it really helps not to get panicked about not getting a good nights sleep, it just makes things worse. Mental outlook and acceptance are two of the biggest keys to having an easier WD.

Thank you so much.

• Administrator

mary, that's quite a cocktail you're taking for sleep. How long have you been taking Valium and Ambien?

You may wish to try a half tablet of diphenhydramine, rather than a whole tablet.

It could very well be that tapering too fast has caused your sleep problems.

Please put ALL the drugs you take in the Drug Interactions Checker http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html and copy and paste the results in this topic.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I will do that tomorrow. Actually I sleep much better now than 9 months ago and I was taking 10/15 mg of ambien. I switched the paxil to the evening and I slept wonderfully. But the doses of paxil were higher then. I slowly reduced the ambien. NOw that I'm on a low dose of paxil I need ambien and the cocktail above.

I have used ambien and valium for some years . On and off. Ive tried to substitute them with diphen . I thought I'd hold onto your them till I finish with the paxil.

I don't think the paxil caused my sleep problems. I had them for 25 years before. I have used sleeping tablets for all that time. Tapering when possible and increasING when stressed

• Administrator
Please put ALL the drugs you take in the Drug Interactions Checker http://www.drugs.com...eractions.html and copy and paste the results in this topic.

Please also list all your drugs and their dosages in your signature.

diphenhydramine 25mg

Hydrocortisone 20mg (for hypoadrenalism)

magnesium citrate

zolpidem 1.5 mg

Valium (diazepam) 1mg

Raloxifene 60mg (evista)

paroxetine 5mg

It was an effort to get this info together.

I stopped taking valium,diphenhydramine and zolpidem last week.

I had been taking them in small doses for insomnia

I started on melatonin and California poppy (escolozia) and I slept.

yesterday I didn't feel well. Bad headache and very sensitive to hot/cold. I took 1mg of valium to sleep.

I realise that I am having WD symptoms. But I have kept my paxil at 5mg. Am i having WD symptoms from withdrawing valium and zolpidem?? Or is it the effect of having reduced the paxil last two times too quickly.?

I can't find my signature. I'm sorry . I realise I'm very confused.

Me again. I have this throbbing headache which I had 7 weeks ago. I was still on paxil tablets then. I increased their dose and headache went away. I then switched to liquid paxil but probably the doses are too approx . My husband did a mix described above in a post. The original mix was very concentrated and he only added 3 times water to one solution. And my reducing 10 % too quickly hasn't helped. I would like to increase my paxil to get rid of headaches and sensitivity. Unless you think it was the removal of valium. But I feel it was / is the paxil causing then terrible /crippling headache.

• Moderator Emeritus

yesterday I didn't feel well. Bad headache and very sensitive to hot/cold. I took 1mg of valium to sleep.

I realise that I am having WD symptoms. But I have kept my paxil at 5mg. Am i having WD symptoms from withdrawing valium and zolpidem?? Or is it the effect of having reduced the paxil last two times too quickly.?

I can't find my signature. I'm sorry . I realise I'm very confused.

I stopped taking valium,diphenhydramine and zolpidem last week.

I had been taking them in small doses for insomnia

If you had been taking these regularly and stopped them cold turkey, its highly likely you are experiencing withdrawal from this, you need to taper these drugs, please see:

Tips for tapering off Z drugs for sleep (Ambien, Lunesta, etc ...

For help with reinstating and tapering off valium please would you start a topic in our benzo section here:

Members-only benzo forum

Please don't taper anything else or change your dose of paxil for now, until you get these drugs sorted out.

Please read through:  The rule of 3KIS: Keep it simple. Keep it slow. Keep it stable.

Here is the link to signature information, please would you update your signature with your current situation so that we are able to give you relevant suggestions:

http://survivinganti...your-signature/

I'm sorry that you are not feeling well and are confused, these are all symptoms of withdrawal, so its quite understandable. We will do what we can to help you sort this out, take your time reading through all the information.

Petunia

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 1 month later...

Dear alto ,brass monkey petunia

Just to touch ground. I'm holding in there. I m holding at the moment cos I'm not stable. Just want to thank you. I d like to make a money contribution but I had problems. I'll try again. I on have PayPal.

• 4 months later...

Dear All

i cannot tell you how much better I feel. I have even managed to change my signature, which i couldn't manage last year.  I spent a year gettiing from 20mg to 4mg, tapering every 2 weeks approx.  then I had to be slower.   The magnesium has helped a great deal .sleep and constipation improved.  I also take omega although i m not sure how it has helped.

I have also made a contribution which is something I have wanted to do for some time.  You people have helped so much. precise , professional and kind.  I m curious to know how my last 3 mg reduction will go.  

I don't know if people read  my stuff or not.  thank you

So glad you are feeling better....what would you say are your main withdrawal symptoms at this point?

1995 - 2015 antidepressants and antianxiety medicine
Multiple failed attempts to quit/taper anti d/anti anxiety meds since 2008

June 17, 2016 began prozac bridge to get off of effexor xr, stopped effexor xr on June 24, 2016, could not tolerate prozac due to severe side effects so I had to stop it  Currently...300 mg ER of lithium, 1 mg of estradiol, 60 mg propranolol ER, Fish oil 2 x a day, Magnesium Glycinate,  zinc, vitamin c, vitamin d, NAC

Until recently, I had hot/cold sensation and headache. Brain fog was/is present but greatly improved.

Not to minimize those symptoms at all but that is wonderful that you are doing so well.  Did you ever have insomnia or a lot of panic waves?  I am reinstating my liquid prozac and hot happy about it but I guess it had to be done.  I am struggling with insomnia, bad lack of ability to concentrate and waves of panic.  I just reinstated at .6ml of liquid prozac a few moments ago.  Please keep posting your story is giving me hope.

1995 - 2015 antidepressants and antianxiety medicine
Multiple failed attempts to quit/taper anti d/anti anxiety meds since 2008

June 17, 2016 began prozac bridge to get off of effexor xr, stopped effexor xr on June 24, 2016, could not tolerate prozac due to severe side effects so I had to stop it  Currently...300 mg ER of lithium, 1 mg of estradiol, 60 mg propranolol ER, Fish oil 2 x a day, Magnesium Glycinate,  zinc, vitamin c, vitamin d, NAC

Hi Mary-- It's nice to hear that you've been doing so well with your taper.  If you're starting to feel symptoms, which it sounds like you are, it means that you're going too fast. The area below 5mg starts to get very tricky to deal with because a very small change in dose has a very big affect on the CNS.  It is very common to start having problems  in this range with the only solution to take it slow and careful.  I've been going through this range for a while now and have to reassess with every drop to keep things on track.

"struggling with insomnia, bad lack of ability to concentrate"

Downtown girl.

Insomnia WAS my worst symptom. I took all my paxil at bedtime. That helped.You shd take yr prozac then. Also I take regularly Ambiem which is a hypnotic to get me to sleep. Essential to take the smallest amount possible cos it has a half life of 3/4 hrs. The more you take, the more yr body wakes up to have more. I use drops and take about 1mg. If I wake up I take another few drops. Magnesium citrate helps too.

Concentration : this will imorove once you get drug out if body. Also important to train yr mind . Give yrself tasks to do.

Essential NOT to go quickly. Listen to yr WD symptoms and regulate. I managed tapering every 2 weeks from 20mg to 5mg. Now I'm tapering every month.Why go faster if you then have to reinstate ?? Actually I have no WD symptoms at moment. I had a slight headache plus slight hot/ cold a few weeks ago. This immediately is a signal for me. Sport also helps. I go hill walking and rowing. The moderators are very generous and professional. They know their stuff.

Brassmonkey : what is CNS?

Well 0.96mg is very little. Just a question. I read that the blood plasma registers the change in reduction after 4 days. How long does it take for WD symptoms to register? I remember you . I think you gave me advice last yr. Thank you

Hi Mary--  Central Nervous System (CNS) 

These drugs work by making physical changes to the nerve endings referred to as "down regulating".  In general the first 5mg affect about 60% of a persons nerve ending while 10mgs affect about 80% .  Increase the dose to 20mg and only 85% are affected. So a lot of changes happen with the first 5mgs.  Same thing happens when you go the other direction.  So even though 0.96mg is tiny dose (in fact I just dropped to that dose on Monday) it still had a big effect on the body.

Yes it takes four days for the level of the drug in the blood to become steady state (an even level)  so a person has to wait at least four days before they can start to analyze their current symptoms.  For many people the symptoms start to show up between two and five days after a drop.  Some people will feel them with in a few hours, which is pretty rare.  While it can take several weeks for others.

0.96mg is tiny dose (in fact I just dropped to that dose on Monday) it still had a big effect on the body.:what effect does .96 mg have on the body? I can't imagine what effect 20 mg has.

If you taper 1mg , it isn't 10 %.? Nice to know there is someone ahead of me. Why Is it more difficult to do the last reductions?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi 

I'm on about 3mg of paxil .  I have diluted my liquid paxil in alcohol cos in water it was not well absorbed.  

question 1: I feel relatively always in a good mood compared to BEFORE  taking paxil.  Is it the magnesium or the omega3  doing this ? I would like to keep taking the supplement that helps me 

I need advice info from low dose taperers.  Did you really experience difference going down by 10% ? 

thanks everyone.   Thank God you all exist

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I have had DEPRESSION for 3 weeks. I was actually happy before .  Even too happy !! I am on 3 mg of paxiò approx and perhaps made the mistake of reducing every 2.5 weeks. 

I have never had depression as a symptom before, just headache, cognition problems. 

I know I've been told.......

Who is doing low doses liike me? PLEASE reply .thanks

I take omega and magnesium. Should I be taking other things?  Altrostrata ,, I notice you take a lot of stuff.  ....

I do take about 1 mg of ambiem cos I need to sleep and this gets me off.  What problems might it be creatiing??

• 1 month later...

Altrastrata :PLEASE  respond to my question.  I'm quite desperate.  i have had DEPRESSION  for the last 2.5 months.   Could it be due to the tapering?  I have been on the same dose for about 2 mths .  i've noticed i wrote the same thing above and didn't even remember .