SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Hiphopanonymous: please help 6 weeks off klonopin

hiphopanonymous

Need help please. Ct from klonopin. Put on phenobarbital and gabapentin. Suffering from benzo withdrawal only 6 weeks off. Think ivr hit tolerance with gabapentin things have stated getting relly bad after being bettet for a bit. Having horrible sx from gaba i believe but cant taper due to intolerable wd symptoms and reemergence from benzo wd. Still on 15 mg pheno and cant touch that right now

Current meds ativan 2.5mg 3x a day gabapentin 300mg 3x a day methadone down to 38 from 40mg once a day.

have tried holding. ...switching to kpin.... valium. .. updosing mskes worse all damage lies underneath all meds not in pharmocologicalwd but am in worse shape than was cold turkey symptoms never got better reinstatement only worse now in impossible web hep c toxic neurons very possible lyme kindled been reinstated for a year and symptoms and psuchological torment are so severe that i csnnot taper anything body and ming failing immune problems thyroid every type of psin photosensitive acusis psychotic terror and confusion cannot control actions cannot lsy down but cant sit i nod and awake in terror tormen every cell exploding shaking visual disturbances march agressively in place whimpering meds are killing me but cant taper off because severe symptoms waves getting worse and worse no matter what i pull my hair out need to run to er but cant help every med makes me worse sever psychotic akathisia feel like neurotoxic i live alone cant take care of myself cannot taper for years cuz im already past my threshold also herpes 1 Epstein barr maybe citamegalovirus hep c very high liver enzymes severe ocd agorifobia burning skin so so so sick piain that is unexplainable very possible lyme this is not all withdrawals im technically not even in withdrawal because higher dosed dont help makes worse cant take care to be alone my brain flips in ways that only someone being tormented in hell could understand i cant seem to find anyone to relate too cuz everyone is able to do slow tsper but im getting rapidly worse whether tspering or not but tapering i not in safe position these drugs can cause permanent damage i need off but the trauma and twisted torment im not true psychosis but i have irrational beliefs can no longer be held or touched lose grip the torment and trauma are burning me alive time is backward. Dont know what to do been looking for a year. Waves getting more more intense have to eat standing up cant breathe put sentences together lyphnode swelling whole outer neck see shadows last 6 months rapid decline every day help me. Please

Dont know what to do things are so intense right now im really scared. Been off klonopin ct for 6 weeks. Have been tapering off phenobarbital. Im down to 15 mg which is basically nothing and taking 900 mg gabapentin. 4 days ago i attempted to taper 50 mg of gabapentin and got slammed with horrible burning and shaking and funny disturbing vision. I immediately went back up on gaba but things are still gettingworse. I feel like the gaba has turned on me. Have severe pain and burning chills all over entire body. Dont understand what is happening. Can anyone plz shed some light or advice onto what is happening. Please im so scared i dont know what to do. I went back up on the gaba but it didnt help. Did i hit tolerance? Or is this strictly benzo related. I havnt changed my pheno dose in two weeks

Current meds ativan 2.5mg 3x a day gabapentin 300mg 3x a day methadone down to 38 from 40mg once a day.

have tried holding. ...switching to kpin.... valium. .. updosing mskes worse all damage lies underneath all meds not in pharmocologicalwd but am in worse shape than was cold turkey symptoms never got better reinstatement only worse now in impossible web hep c toxic neurons very possible lyme kindled been reinstated for a year and symptoms and psuchological torment are so severe that i csnnot taper anything body and ming failing immune problems thyroid every type of psin photosensitive acusis psychotic terror and confusion cannot control actions cannot lsy down but cant sit i nod and awake in terror tormen every cell exploding shaking visual disturbances march agressively in place whimpering meds are killing me but cant taper off because severe symptoms waves getting worse and worse no matter what i pull my hair out need to run to er but cant help every med makes me worse sever psychotic akathisia feel like neurotoxic i live alone cant take care of myself cannot taper for years cuz im already past my threshold also herpes 1 Epstein barr maybe citamegalovirus hep c very high liver enzymes severe ocd agorifobia burning skin so so so sick piain that is unexplainable very possible lyme this is not all withdrawals im technically not even in withdrawal because higher dosed dont help makes worse cant take care to be alone my brain flips in ways that only someone being tormented in hell could understand i cant seem to find anyone to relate too cuz everyone is able to do slow tsper but im getting rapidly worse whether tspering or not but tapering i not in safe position these drugs can cause permanent damage i need off but the trauma and twisted torment im not true psychosis but i have irrational beliefs can no longer be held or touched lose grip the torment and trauma are burning me alive time is backward. Dont know what to do been looking for a year. Waves getting more more intense have to eat standing up cant breathe put sentences together lyphnode swelling whole outer neck see shadows last 6 months rapid decline every day help me. Please

Ok, put your drug history in your signature so when the mods see this they know what is going on.

You CT'd klonopin 6 weeks ago?

What made you begin to taper something else? Symptoms?

You are most likely having WD symptoms from a CT just recently.

If I were you, I would not tweak anything at all. Tapering the gabapentrin could have made you even more destabalized.

You may have to just hold for a while and see what happens.... Give your body a chance to stabalize.

Changing anything else is not going to help. It will likely make it worse.

I'm sorry you are suffering. It's Christmas, so the mods are not around. Someone, either Rhi or Skyler will be along to help you soon.

I'm just giving you my opinion. As hard as it is, hold tight till someone with more experience can give you some info.

So sorry you are in this position.

Until someone comes to help with more expertise, I'm here A LOT! So, if you need some support, I'm always pretty close by.

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

Thank you for replying. Ive been waiting for someone to talk to. Yes what made me try to reduce the gabapentin is ive been havinsevere pain in my kidneys and bladder and abdomen and every muscle in my body and my jaw and ears. I have been on the gabapentin since august when i first atemped to get off klono (ive done 4 ct in the last 4 months) because i tried to reinstate and could not stabilize. Ive always felt the gaba is causing a lot of problems but i also feel like i may have hit tolerance with it or something? Ive also been on phenobarbital for 4 months on and off switching back and fourth between that and klono. I think i really screwed myself. So im down to 15 mg of pheno and have been holding for two weeks. Last week was very tolerable all things considered and after trying to drop only 50 mg gaba i got slammed with what felt like going back to the first week of ct. I updosed on the gaba back to 900 mg. Which was 4 days ago but things are getting worse. So confused. How do you do a signature? Im new here im not even sure what that is. Right now my symptoms are burning pain all over whole body, feeling icy cold or extremely hot, uncontrollable shaking like myoclonic seizures,( ive had it before but only when i drop doses of phenobarbital and havnt had it in a few weeks), pain in jaw and ears, hyperacusis, chills, anxiety, ocd overwhelming fear, feel like im not in control of my thoughts, d/p and d/r i see things moving around, extreme abdominal pain and in bladder and kidneys area i do not have an infection. I feel like im going to lose touch with reality any minute. Ug this is a nightmare. I dont know what the next step is. You are probably right about not changing anything right now and letting mbody and brain adjust. But adjust to what? Ive been on same dose of pheno for two weeks and was stabilizing pretty well. I just have this urgent feeling like i need to get off the gaba. I dont know why i cant imagine that trying to lower 50 mg of one of my gabapentin doses would screw me for 5 days. Idk maybe it would. Maybe the gabapentin is msking the benzos withdrawal and its not anymore because im tolerant to it?..... just things are unbearable right now and want to enjoy Christmas. My family is sick of me bein sick. They don't understand and the doctors have told them im not in withdrawal becsuz its more than 30 days that this is all in my head. I have been sleeping ok considering and when i first wake up Feel ok until my brain stars trying to get in gear. The burning and chills and pain are the most troubling. Thank you so much for allowing me to be here. I tried another popular forum but was to confusing trying to figure out how to get started. Pluz goo many medication nazis as i like to call them. Any advice or support is so greatly apreciated. I also feel like this last little piece of pheno is preventing my gaba receptors from healing. Ayaya. My withdrawal is so complicated. My doc would not taper me from klonopin and told me i had to go to detox to get off of it. I didnt know any better st the time. Ill stop rambling and wait for feedback. Thank you so much. Merry Christmas

Hello and welcome, hiphopanonymous. As you can see I am a mod but if you look at my signature I have limited experience with tapering, only a cold turkey experience that included K and was pretty bad in the beginning, mainly due to the type of AD (a SNRI).

I have alerted the other mods about your situation but they might not make an appearance today as it is a holiday. While all members may give advice here based on their experience, you may want to consider only that given by a moderator and even take that under advisement. We are not qualified to diagnose nor give medical advice but we truly do want to help.

In the meantime, you might continue reading some of the stories in the benzo subforum and see if any are helpful. Also, our Symptoms and Self Care forum has many articles that are of interest no matter what drugs you may be tapering from.

Please do not worry about trying to add a signature at this time while you may be cognitively 'not all up to it'. We can always see to that later.

If you feel you are becoming severely ill I urge you to go to your local emergency room and seek qualified medical care and then come back here when you are stable. Coming off a drug 'cold turkey' is never a good idea as you have seen but a lot of doctors are kind of clueless because they have never gone through it themselves and only have the medical literature to go by, which is sadly lacking.

Hang in here, this is a wonderful place for support.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

So glad CW was able to assist.

Hang in there.

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

Hi hiphop

I'm so sorry you are going through this, but very glad you found this site - the people here are awesome. Hang in there and keep talking to us.

Put on Prothiaden for severe depression in 1989.  Recovered.   Prescribed Paxil for another bout of depression around 2000.   Have been trying to taper ever since but always crash about 2 months after getting to zero.   Because of the crashes, for years I thought that there was something wrong with me.   Then found that the crashes were simply withdrawal.   Now following a maximum of a 10% reduction every month or so and ready to slow down any time I feel any symptoms whatsoever.  Feeling good:).

7th Jan 15 - 3.6mg

28th Jan 15 - 3.2mg

Im at the er getting checked my abdomen hurts really bad so cold would taking a ativan yo see if this is all withdrawal be s bad idea

Unless you were having a literally dangerous situation with your meds (which I'm not seeing after quickly skimming what you wrote) --

Go back on the klonopin immediately. Try to get the same med, not another benzo, if they will do that.

Benzos - and most other meds affecting the nervous system - need to be tapered slowly. They cannot be cold-turkeyed. That is probably why your doctor wouldn't taper you off them. He probably doesn't know how to do it. But we have found ways to very slowly taper off that work.

I want to warn you that detox centers do not know how to taper people off them properly. That takes time, and in detox they will just give you more (or higher doses) of other drugs, since proper tapering can take many, many months. But you will have quality of life and be safe.

Go back up on the gabapentin and phenobarbitol, if you had been taking them long enough to get physically habituated to them. Unless the doctors determine that it is dangerous to do so due to the combination of potent drugs. Otherwise, don't try to taper anything just yet. At least not the klonopin.

It's not a good idea to alternate meds as you were doing, but first get back on your meds as you had been taking them, then we can help you gradually get your entire med situation stabilized before doing a slow, safe taper. Big changes and multiple med changes in these kinds of meds cause big problems.

Get stabilized, start reading and learning more here when you are able, and we'll help you learn how to get off these meds safely.

I was "TryingToGetWell" (aka TTGW) on paxilprogress. I also was one of the original members here on Surviving Antidepressants

I had horrific and protracted withdrawal from paxil, but now am back to enjoying life with enthusiasm to the max, some residual physical symptoms continued but largely improve. The horror, severe derealization, anhedonia, akathisia, and so much more, are long over.

My signature is a temporary scribble from year 2013. I'll rewrite it when I can.

If you want to read it, click on http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/209-brandy-anyone/?p=110343

I just saw you're in the ER. Pending what they advise (that applies to what I wrote before also) --

Don't switch to ativan. Stay with the klonopin. Try not to make any major changes.

Also, klonopin is much better suited in many ways to doing a slow taper, which is what you'll need to do to avoid this kind of severe benzo withdrawal. Taking ativan instead of klonopin will just cause more problems.

Please keep up updated on how you are doing.

I was "TryingToGetWell" (aka TTGW) on paxilprogress. I also was one of the original members here on Surviving Antidepressants

I had horrific and protracted withdrawal from paxil, but now am back to enjoying life with enthusiasm to the max, some residual physical symptoms continued but largely improve. The horror, severe derealization, anhedonia, akathisia, and so much more, are long over.

My signature is a temporary scribble from year 2013. I'll rewrite it when I can.

If you want to read it, click on http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/209-brandy-anyone/?p=110343

I cant go back on klonopin believe me i wish i could but i tried to go back on several times which led to further destabilization that is why i ended up going cold turkry so many times. They pug me on phenobarbitai

Instead. Which tapering that has been hard everytime i drop a dose things get bad for a week and then become manageable again but i have been on 15 mg for two weeks and things just started getting very bad yesterday. I did go back to original gabapentin dose immediately but i still feel everything. Im at the er right now and they refuse to do any tests because they think its purely withdrawal related which im sure it is too. My main concerns are is the gabapentin causing all these pains that came outa nowhere and is it causing damage to my body and brain. How long will it take to stabilize if i change nothing? Why do i not feel better after going bsck up on the gaba. I know i should not have tried to lower it yet. Stupid move did i botch things up beyond repair?- I did take an extra 15 mg of pheno the other day because thinvs were so bad but i did that on my last dose drop and it didnt hurt anything. Am i just having a really bad wave? It feels like acute. Maybe im still in acute i would nt doubt it but the last couple weeks were so good didnt have any panick attacks and no freezing cold burning. This just came outa nowhere. Am i having tolerance withdrawal from gabapentin,? Sorry everyone i know its Christmas but withdrawal doent seem to know that. Thank you all so much. I hope this passes

I'm trying to figure this one out. I need a little more information.

I know you're not feeling well (and I'm so sorry about that), but could you make a list of the following going back at least two years:

Name of med

Dates taken (date started, and date discontinued if any)

Dosages of med (including dates of any dosage changes). (If you don't remember exactly, that's OK. Just estimate as well as you can.)

Brief reason for taking or discontinuing the med, or any significant reaction to it. (For example, learning that reinstating the klonopin was useful information. btw, what symptoms were the destabilization you mention?)

Please do this for any med you've been taking, even if it was for something else (antibiotics, etc. - and any "recreational drugs" you may have taken)

If you look at other people's posts (in any section of this site), you'll see some people have made chronological lists of meds/dates/doses, if that will give you an idea how to do it. Those are usually in their signatures below their posts. Doing a signature would be helpful, but right now just posting a list would help.

I'm sorry you're having such a bad Christmas. I'm sure next Christmas will be much better!

I just saw that you posted 5 times here but only saw 4 posts, so checked your content and found this post in another thread:

Need help please. Ct from klonopin. Put on phenobarbital and gabapentin. Suffering from benzo withdrawal only 6 weeks off. Think ivr hit tolerance with gabapentin things have stated getting relly bad after being bettet for a bit. Having horrible sx from gaba i believe but cant taper due to intolerable wd symptoms and reemergence from benzo wd. Still on 15 mg pheno and cant touch that right now

Were you put on the phenobarbital and gabapentin after going off klonopin, to mask withdrawal symptoms?

I just saw that you posted 5 times here but only saw 4 posts, so checked your content and found this post in another thread:

I'll corral that post and move it to your thread.

It looks like it decided to be the first post.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

Sure ya it probably would be helpful i have a complicated history

I have been on and off klonopin since the age of 16 am now 28 for anxiety and panic attacks. Also a history of alcoholism but havnt drank in sbout a year.

Went back on klonopin a yeAr ago due to anxiety and panic attacks i also have a little bit of hypochondria and obsessive thoughts. All of which are way worse now. So the klonopin started not working and was Iirapidly gaining tolerance got up to 4 or 5 mg a day plus 3 mg ativan st the end.

Descided i need to get off because it was not helping anymore. Went to detox in august and did a ct to rapid phenobarbital taper got out and was in such bad shape i didnt know what was going on so went back on the klonopin at 3 mg.

A week later it wasnt helpinp nd ended up in a hospital where the put me on phenobarbital and gabapentin 900 mg. Got pretty stable and was told to taper the phenobarbital from 90 mg. Well i got down to 75 and had somd blood work done and the pheno sas poisoning my liver so they jerked me off and put me on klonopin was on it for two weekd and was so depressed and psychotic i went back to detox where they did rapid pheno taper.

Was released and went strait from detox to the hospital and got ativan which tuned ino valium to klonopin to just handfull of benzo to get withdrawal away nd two weeks later ended up back on phenobarb 90 mg now down to 15 mg after 6 weeks of tapering i have noticed while tapering the pheno by 15 gm at a time things get bad for a week then become more manageable.

I have been holding a that dose for two weeks and obsessed with the thought that the gabapentin is making things worse so i attepted to drop 50 mv and got slammed into acute withdrawal. Went back up on it but am still feeling like ct all over again. That was 4 days ago.

I guess just hold a.d see what happens? I guess maybe that attempted drop screwed homeostasis? Im hoping that didnt sensitize me to the gabapentin so then ill have tollerance withdrawal. Maybe i just got slammed with a gnarly wave its only been 6 weeks off so im sure im still in acute withdrawal after all that kindling.

What exactly is kindling does the pheno cause that i know it acts on gaba almost the same as benzo. So im just trying to figure out whats going on with my body and brain and what my next step should be? Should i updose on pheno or just stay shere im at. Im so sick and in so much pain. The hospital gave me a shot of benedril but refused to do labs. Im worried bout the gabapentin but i guess i should not touch that for a while. Yes the gaba and pheno were to help assist the ct.

Im having myoclonic seizures but not losing conciousness high anxiety and panic burning skin icy blood visual disturbances and disturbing Obsesive thoughts. I did experidce some psychosis when dropping from 75 mg pheno to 30 it lasted almost two weeks im sfraid of that happening again having obsesive paranoid thoughts and lots of abdominal pain nd kidney pain and leg ear and jaw pain.

Thanks everyone i apreciate all your help on Christmas

Edited by Petu
added paragraph breaks for readability

• Administrator

Welcome, Hiphopanonymous.

You are not far from Dr. Stuart Shipko in Pasadena. You might contact him. You need someone to sort out your drugs and side effects.

In the meantime, please put ALL the drugs you take in the Drug Interactions Checker http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.htmland post the results in this topic.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Search Drugs.com

Drug Interaction Report

Drug interactions for the following 2 drug(s):

Unsaved Drug List gabapentin phenobarbital

Add / Remove drugs Add / Remove drugsConsumer Consumer Professional

Major Moderate Minor Food

• Administrator

You'll either have to copy and paste the report or a link to it from your browser bar.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Couldnt figure out how to post it..... do you think im looking at a long protracted withdrawal? -it sure feels like it i hope my cns restabilizes soon its very scary. I was seeing daily progress and didnt have a full blown panic attac for almost 2 weeks. Then bam thrrown back in the pit of hell. How long should i wait to see if this clears up and if it doesn't get better what id the next step. Symptoms are unbearable espeacially the burning skin and coldness. I have had hyperacusis ths whole time but just started hearing a hissing noise constantly in both ears and the kidney and abdominal pain. My doctor is worthless but i have county insurrance so kinda limited. Is the gabapentin making things more complicated. Ive also been having pupils of different sizes which happened when i first started gabapentin but went away after a couple weeks. But its happening again which makes me think ive hit somd kinda tolerance withdrawal

• Administrator

You're on a bunch of drugs and I'm worried you're experiencing a drug-drug interaction that could be serious. Please do what you can to post the drug interactions report or a link to it.

hiphop, I'm checking this thread frequently because I'm concerned about all the meds you're on.

I have a feeling you're on a portable device, and I have no experience with them. But if you run into problems again trying to post an interactions list of ALL the meds you're presently taking, post here what the problem is and I'll try to help or try to find someone else who can.

Or maybe give us a list of ALL meds you're taking at this time. Whether every day or just occasionally. But all meds you haven't discontinued entirely.

Im not very tech savy but it just says cns depression. But ive been on phenobarbital and gabapentin foor months now and ive tapered down to 15 mg pheno from much higher doses. Its not a interaction. Its eithewithdral, gabapentin side effects or tolerance withdrawal from gaba, or kindling? Is this last little piece of pheno keeping me locked in withdrawal or is it the gabapentin losing its efficacy so benzo withdrawal is being unmasked. That is a very scary thought because i am in turmoil. Is gabapentin keeping me from healing?

I am currently taking 15 mg phenobarbital 900mg gabapentin and 1mg clonidine prn hardly ever take it, and hydroxezine 50 prn hardly ever tAke it. Thatd all im taking. I am experiencing burning pain all over body that apeared wen i attempted to taper 50mg of gaba but updosed immediately the next day wen i felt withdrawal but it wont stop. I know my case is confusing and don't want to do something to make thing's worse. If i just dont touch anything will things level out? Did i royaly mess up by that dose drop of phenobarbital? Im really worried that i sensitized myself to gabapentin and that im experiencing tolerance withdrawal. I hope not cuz i cant handle anything else right now. Oh and zofran prn to but hardly ever use it

http://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=1147-0,1303-0,1846-0,1488-899,703-357,862-441,1752-1120

Interactions between your selected drugs

interaction-2-big.png diazepam ↔ phenobarbital

Applies to: Valium (diazepam), phenobarbital

Using diazepam together with PHENobarbital may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Switch to professional interaction data

interaction-2-big.png lorazepam ↔ phenobarbital

Applies to: Ativan (lorazepam), phenobarbital

Using LORazepam together with PHENobarbital may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

interaction-2-big.png clonazepam ↔ phenobarbital

Applies to: Klonopin (clonazepam), phenobarbital

Before taking clonazePAM, tell your doctor if you also use PHENobarbital. You may need dose adjustments or special tests in order to safely take both medications together. If you are already taking this combination you should contact your doctor if you have symptoms of breathing problems, confusion, or altered consciousness. It is important that you tell your healthcare provider about all other medications that you are using including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using your medications without first talking to your doctor first.

interaction-2-big.png phenobarbital ↔ hydroxyzine

Applies to: phenobarbital, hydroxyzine

Using PHENobarbital together with hydrOXYzine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

interaction-2-big.png phenobarbital ↔ gabapentin

Applies to: phenobarbital, gabapentin

Using PHENobarbital together with gabapentin may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

interaction-2-big.png hydroxyzine ↔ gabapentin

Applies to: hydroxyzine, gabapentin

Using hydrOXYzine together with gabapentin may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

No other interactions were found between your selected drugs.
Note: this does not necessarily mean no interactions exist. ALWAYS consult with your doctor or pharmacist.

Other drugs that your selected drugs interact with

Interactions between your selected drugs and food

interaction-2-big.png diazepam ↔ food

Applies to: Valium (diazepam)

Grapefruit juice may increase the blood levels and effects of diazepam. You may want to limit your consumption of grapefruit and grapefruit juice during treatment with diazepam. However, if you have been regularly consuming grapefruit or grapefruit juice with diazepam, do not alter the amounts of these products in your diet without first talking to your doctor or other healthcare professional. Contact your doctor if your condition changes or you experience increased side effects. Orange juice is not expected to interact.

I threw the valium and ativan in there just in case. All are moderate reactions and the only one reacting w/ food is valium. You said klonopin one place, clonidine in another. Clonidine is for blood pressure.

Are you sure that's it?

Hi again, hiphop,

First of all we understand and acknowledge that you're experiencing withdrawal. Believe me, we understand about withdrawal here and take it seriously.

When people are on multiple meds and we're not personally familiar with the interactions that can occur, we always recommend checking known interactions, to make sure that a person is not taking an unsafe combination of meds at any given time. (Even if only occasionally.)

It's like how they tell people never to mix near-empty bottles of household bleach and ammonia. Both are common household items and safe to store in their original separate containers. But when you mix even small amounts of the two in one container, they form a new substance that is dangerous.

I entered the five meds you listed on the interactions checker. I understand that you take most of them rarely, but I wanted to be cautious and make sure that when you did take any (no matter how rarely) that there were no dangerous interactions between them. Like you said, you don't need more problems. Who would want that?! There are a number of moderate interactions between various meds, so for sure don't take too many in the same day or few days, and try to take as few of the "as needed" ones as possible. But at least nothing was red-flagged. I'll post the link here, and again, I understand that you take three of the five only rarely:

http://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=704-0,1147-0,1303-0,1846-0,1752-1120

I am not a medical professional, and even if I were, I cannot diagnose what is going on. Only a trained person who can examine you and run any necessary tests can do that. But it certainly sounds like you are in withdrawal from the klonopin, and it's certainly possible from the changes in doses of the other meds. I wish I were more familiar with gabapentin, but I'm not.

I did not check on what doses are customary for these meds since I would hope the emergency room would have evaluated that. Did they give you any instructions for follow-up evaluations?

It can be a mistake to try to second-guess what is going on based on how you feel at any given time, since withdrawal from these meds can have symptoms that appear very quickly and others that appear later. Tolerance occurs when one has been on a drug for an extended period of time and it stops having the desired effect. The body effectively is saying, "No matter what you think, I know I shouldn't let this drug make biochemical changes in me anymore." That's an extremely simplistic explanation, but it will do for now.

When one experiences tolerance varies considerably from person to person, depending on individual biochemistries, and the nature of the med itself. Mostly depends on one's own chemistry. Another thing that can affect us is that in withdrawal, taking new meds or making changes in dosage of other meds can destabilize our nervous systems, given how sensitive our nervous system is when it's healing.

Withdrawal groups all agree that detox clinics have it wrong when they give barbiturates to mask cold-turkeying a benzo. The sedative doesn't cure the healing process the body has to go through to get back to normal from the changes the benzo made in it, but instead masks the symptoms for a brief time. Since one can't take sedatives for long periods of time, and the healing process from benzo cold-turkey takes a long time, the patient feels better initially but then feels the cold-turkey withdrawal from the benzo once the "mask" is yanked off. Plus any withdrawal symptoms from removing the sedative, though withdrawal from those is usually a far less lengthy process.

I'm going to try to ask some other people I know what they suggest about how best to deal with the apparent benzo withdrawal symptoms. I just don't know if you could tolerate a very small amount of benzo or not. As for the other meds, are you able to see a neurologist through the county system? I should warn you that most neurologists are as clueless about withdrawal as other doctors (and detox clinics), but some are not. And they could do any necessary follow-up on any liver concerns, since you mentioned a history of that. That all is beyond the scope of this or any withdrawal group, and needs to be done by a competent doctor.

(I sympathize how difficult it is to find good docs. I'm going through hoops just trying to find a good PCP, and I have Medicare and not even dealing with withdrawal. It can take some searching, but can be worth it. And neurologists probably know more about sedatives and certainly gabapentin, than they might about benzos.

I'll keep checking back here, and some other very knowledgeable members of this group should be back from holiday soon I think. I'll certainly let you know what I can find out.

CW5600 and I were posting at the same time! Glad the list is on there in full view. Thanks, CW! (I was too lazy to copy and paste. I think I'm in "posting tolerance" right now. I know the symptoms lol.)

Ya thats it ive been off klonopin and any benzos for six weeks i should not have messed with the gabapentin omg im such a mess getting slammed with every acute symptom. Does anyone think ill restabilze if i just hold where im at i guess only time will tell the docs are worthless so im pretty much on my own and just wondering how long to wait before i should do anythong. Its pretty much unbearable right now. Thank you all for your support im so greatful i found this sight. The burning pain and icy cold is the worst im guessing its nerve related. Just want to lay down and relax but i dont think thats happening. Did manage to spend some time with family. Hope everyone had a good Christmas

• Moderator Emeritus

The burning pain and icy cold is the worst im guessing its nerve related.

This is very often described in benzo withdrawal.  What dose of Klonopin did you CT from 6 weeks ago? I don't have much experience with benzo withdrawal, but I'm wondering if perhaps reinstating the Klonopin may help, then when you are restabilized, you could begin a proper taper.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Petu, hh addressed RI problems in post #11 here. I'm trying to find out what the destabilization symptoms are.

hh, could you tell us what symptoms specifically you got when you went back on the klonopin?

And what dose you had been on before that? Did you take the same dose when you tried to reinstate the med?

I think I may have found the answer to my very last questions above, in one of your earlier posts. I was a little confused about the specifics.

Am I correct that you were taking 5-6 mg. klonopin plus 3 mg ativan when they cold turkeyed you off the benzos and put you on short-term phenobarbital in detox? Then tried to reinstate the klonopin (only?) at 3 mg four different times but couldn't tolerate the reinstatements?

Or were you first put on phenobarbital after all four unsuccessful reinstatement attempts?

(I have to get some sleep here, so correct me if I didn't get those figures right. When I've gotten some rest, I'll try to help you write up a more thorough chronology of your med history, if that will help.)

I jumped back and forth between the pheno and klonopin. Yes my original ct was from klonopin and ativan. The last ct i was getting my benxos from the er so i was trying to subtitute with different oned that is why i had problems reinstating also i have had so much kindling that if i did reinstate again im sure it wouldnt stick. My cns is so shot. Thr pain prob i had wen trying to reintate was severe depression and paranoid delusions. Also my anxiety was so bad that litterally no amount of benzos would stop it. I think im stuck with the phenobarbital and the gabapentin. I think the pheno is keeping my gaba receptors down regulAsted. In a lot of pain. Hoping if i dont touch anything that i will restabilize. My thinking has been very weird. Does anyone know if the gabapentin prevent healing

Im also feeling pretty mentally unstable. Does anyone know is it possible to become sensitized to gabapentin by attempting to lower my dose i experienced full blown withdrawal and i went back up on my dose but still experiencing full blown withdrawal. Did i unmask the benzos withdrawal snd now it is exposed and wont remask? I know nobody can give me a definite answer on this but looking for some input or theories.

Oh i was put on phenobarbital at every ct attempt. And cuttenty on it now but have tapered down to very low dose 15 mg whick is equivalent to abot 5 mg of valium.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome, Hiphopanonymous.

You are not far from Dr. Stuart Shipko in Pasadena. You might contact him. You need someone to sort out your drugs and side effects.

HHA,

it sounds to me like your CNS is pretty badly destabilized due to all the ups and downs and ons and offs of various meds over past months. As you yourself are saying, in fact.

Your situation is quite complex with many different meds and many different changes, quite drastic. In my opinion, I fear your situation is beyond the expertise and reach of an Internet forum, as far as giving you medical advice (what drugs to take and what not to).

We can always give you caring support though--so many of us have been through the same kind of hell, and we do get it!

I also agree with you that not changing things around right now is probably your best bet, although it's going to be very tempting, because when we're suffering it's very hard to just suffer and not try to fix things. But you seem to realize that changing meds will just worsen an already very destabilized CNS.

Please enter a sig line as soon as you can, summarizing your basic med history.

Best of luck to you. Keep us posted.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Im not sure how to do a sig. Line. Im not so much interested in medical advice more like theories as to what is happening. Do you think its possible that the gaba is no longer masking the withdrawal? - if someone could tell me how to do a sig line i will do it asap. Im not tech savvy at all. I really appreciate all the support. Its great to just be in contact with people who have been through the same stuff. I feel like my calling is to help others through this once i get to the other side or at least closer to healing. Last week i had drastic improvements where i thought i was on my way then pow right in the kisser! Its mostly physical right now although the anxiety and obsessive thoughts are there. Its always scary when gettin hit with new symptoms your wondering whats causing it and how long theyle stick around snd espeacially when taking multiple drugs. I guess today is a liitle better than yesterday. The skin burning died down a bit now i just feel cold and pain every where espeacially ears. Took somd hydroxezine. It really helps with anxiety if used very sparingly. Thinking about getting some powdered magnesium hear that helps and that gabapentin causemagnesium deficiency so well see if that helps. I hope theres no permanent nerve damage. See mg doc on tuesday ganna try to get full lab work up done to make sure everything is ok at least physically. And referral to neurologist and theres a neuropsychologist