Alexander: Seroxat withdrawal

Alexander

I was wondering if any people had suffered with lower back and hip pain in withdrawal.   I have had hip pain for over 6 months now and it has spread to my lower back.  It's worse when I sleep badly.   Don't want to attribute everything to WD, but my partner thinks it may be due to the awful tension that has been in my body since I stopped seroxat 2 years ago, and the bad sleep pattern I have.  I have been to a chiropractor, with no success and have been to the doctor.   I was given anti-inflam "naproxen" but these kept me awake all night.  Also been given zapain, codeine painkillers, but not taking them because of addiction issues.  The pain is getting me down now and wondered if anyone else had experienced this in withdrawal.

Prescribed 20mg a day of Seroxat on 2001

August 2013 decided to taper.

Reduced by 10mg a week (adjusted over the week small amounts)

Stopped completely in April 2014

Brain and body went haywire.  

Didn't realise it was withdrawal at first.

Have not returned to ad's but can't get my life back.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alexander

• brassmonkey

• nz11

• KarenB

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Alexander-- I'm sorry to hear that your WD is being a pain in the back. lol I know it's no fun. Back and leg pain have been a big part of my taper.  It comes and goes but I've had it for a while now.  I have found very little that will actually help.  The best thing has been gentle stretching ever day and trying to drop as much tension as possible.  The other thing is curcumin supplements, many people know it as turmeric.  It is a natural anti-inflammatory and has really helped my arthritis and general aches and pains.  It takes a few weeks to really kick in, but it has really helped me.  Heating pads can also help.  

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Hey Alexander, I've suffered with all over body muscular tension and pains since I cold turkeyed paroxetine many years ago.

I find that yoga really helps to stretch and mobilise my muscles and that a relaxed body creates the conditions for a relaxed mind, which will help with sleep too.

The relief is usually only temporary though and before long my body will work itself up into knots again so the key for me is incorporating regular practice into my schedule...

Maybe worth a try?

A convenient link to my introduction post

2003 Paroxetine (20mg I think) daily for 5 months due to extreme anxiety before final exams and stopped cold turkey. From 2003 onwards I have suffered with extreme anxiety, akathisia, severe muscle tension & digestive problems whenever off I'm off anti-depressants.

2007 Clonazepam (unsure of dose) - took approximately 100 tablets to try and self medicate for anxiety.

2007-09 Amitryptyline 10mg - was advised to take this "as and when needed" for anxiety.

April/May 2011 Diazepam 2mg - 2 week course followed by complete inability to sleep upon finishing so started Citalopram 40mg and I was able to sleep again.

Mid 2012 Diazepam 10mg - took approximately 100 tablets.

Mid 2012 Started Citalopram taper - 5mg reductions every month or two, severe withdrawal symptoms throughout taper.

Apr 2013 Completely off Citalopram and continued to have severe withdrawal.

Oct 2013 Completely fell to pieces mentally and alongside had a whole host of debilitating physical symptoms too. I went to the doctors who performed whole batteries of tests but had no idea what was wrong with me. They tried me on Sertraline and Amitryptyline to which I had terrible reactions which made symptoms worse. Eventually got put on Nortryptyline 25mg, which I tolerated and over 3 months withdrawal symptoms started to abate.

Mid 2014 discovered survivingantidepressants.org and hallelujah! I knew what was wrong with me - slow taper FTW!

Late 2014 & 2015 Reduced Nortryptyline 22.5mg & 20mg respectively in November & December of 2014. In 2015 Tapered Nortryptyline from 20mg to 10 mg in 2mg increments. Withdrawal symptoms with each dose reduction are debilitating but in a much different way to Citalopram.

Many thanks for the replies.  I have been doing stretching exercises and I will try the curcumin as the stuff from the doctors screws my body up more.  At my lap top now leaning against a hot water bottle!   Really relate to your experiences FunkyBaboon about muscular tension.  My body hasn't felt relaxed since I came off paroxetine, and like you I completely fell to pieces in the initial stages of withdrawal, was so unprepared for it that it scares me to think back to it.   I am so glad to talk to people on this site and read their experiences so that I don't feel so alone.   I never thought that I would be caught up in taking anti-depressants and can't believe I was "conned" by the doctor to take them.    I just keep plodding on with a lot of bad days and some good ones.

Hi Alexander

I have started getting back pain recently, very different to any other pain I've had before. it's extremely tight. Maybe it is all related, maybe it,s where we're carrying all our emotions and tensions from this wonderful process!!

Do you talk to your husband about how he feels in it all? The reason I ask is because I've confronted mine in anger once or twice and find I've been totally wrong about what he's perceiving and how he feels. For example not so long ago, he asked how I was, and when I said, absolutely crap actually, he sighed and walked away. I felt awful and confronted him. Anyway, he said he just felt helpless for me and it was nothing to do with being fed up of me. Now it's possible he was lying to cover for himself, and the cynic and damaged person in me says he was, but I'm willing to accept his explanation (I still would have preferred a different reaction, but then my life isn't a romantic film). I work with people in really traumatic situations and their partners/ husbands remain in the thick of it with them. I'm always amazed, but it has shown me that more people than I realise really do stick by in sickness as well as health. Sometimes I think I let my low self esteem allow me to make negative assumptions about my husband and how he must be sick of me being sick, often to his discredit. You may not identify with any of that, but just wanted to throw it in there as a possibility...

Thanks for stopping by my thread, btw.

ali

<p>Several periods of depression starting in teens. 2010- 2014 escitalopram 20mgs. tapered to 5mgApril 2011- December 2011 seroquel2012-2014 don't know exact dates! 2014/15 Lamactil 200mg. 2015 lamactil 150mg. (Several attempts at coming off escitalopram and lamactil). March 2015 tapered to 37.5mg lamactil- Reinstated. July- Aug 2015 tapered off 5mg escitalopram. Dose reinstated Nov 2015.

7/1/16 Lamactil 137.5mg. Escitalopram 5mg; 24/3/16 lamactil 125mg; 20/4/16 escitalopram 4.5mg. 6/5 escit 4mg. 5/6/16 escit 3.6mg; 16/7/16 escit 3.5mg. 27/7/16 lamactil 112.5mg 18/8/16 escit 3.2mg 10/9/16 escit 3mg 16/9/16 lamactil 100mg 11/10/16 lamactil 112.5mg 28/10/16 escit 2.9mg 4/11/16 escit 2.8mg 10/11/16 lamactil 125mg 11/11/16 escit 2.7mg. 25/11/16 escit 2.4mg 10/12/16 escit 2mg 1/1/17 escit 1.7mg 17/1/17 escit 1.5mg 4/2/17 escit 1.4 19/2/17 escit 1.3mg 13/3/17 escit 1.2mg 22/3/17 escit 1mg. 4/5/17 escit 1.15mg 5/5/17 turmeric 800mg

I have the hip and leg pain which feels like muscle tension and weakness. It is mostly in my left leg. I always got this when trying to come off paxil. I figured a slow taper would avoid this but when i got to 1 mg. it started.

Paxil start September 2003 due to Fluoroquinolone adverse reaction that I wish doc. knew what it was. 10mg. most of the time with a few short runs of 20mg. FAST tapered 3 times and finally hit poop out or a reaction to nsaid's in Nov.2013. Started a 10% taper Jan. 2014 and have been ok until Sept 14 and went through a short hell. Now plodding through and looking for the light with unrelenting insomnia and pain, fog, loss of interests....<p>12/20/14 - .8mg.

1/01/15 - .75 mg.

1/15/15 - .42 mg. better sleep now, hope it continues...

2/11-15 - .25 mg. doing really good!! 2 weeks feel 85% of old me!

3/17/15 .14 mg. Knee pain bad!

4/07/15 .05 mg. this is so small now that I am estimating and just licking it off palm small as a "." 

4/13/15 NOTHING !!!! Took my last little micro dose on 4/12/15. 

The feelings of helplessness and frustration at watching a partner that you care deeply about go through what we are going through can be totally overwhelming. For the past three years I've watched my wife suffer through horrendous stomach pain and not being able to eat or getting sick anytime she did eat something, knowing that there was absolutely nothing I could do to make her feel better.  It's a devastating thing to watch.  Sometimes all you can do is shake your head and walk away.  Keeping the communications open, telling each other how you feel is very important, just because it is so easy to misconstrue things from the others actions.  Letting each other know how much you appreciate their support goes a long ways to helping the situation too.  

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Very wise words, Brassmonkey. I know that when my husband has walked away, I've interpreted it as him being absolutely fed up with me and it's heaped on loads of guilt for not being able to make myself better. It's really difficult for someone to understand this desolate place. And it's all so sloooow. But, I agree, communication is the key. Although it takes a lot of emotional energy, when I feel strong enough and make the effort, it's paid off for me, bridged the gap that seems to grow between us when things aren't so good and I crawl into my shell.

<p>Several periods of depression starting in teens. 2010- 2014 escitalopram 20mgs. tapered to 5mgApril 2011- December 2011 seroquel2012-2014 don't know exact dates! 2014/15 Lamactil 200mg. 2015 lamactil 150mg. (Several attempts at coming off escitalopram and lamactil). March 2015 tapered to 37.5mg lamactil- Reinstated. July- Aug 2015 tapered off 5mg escitalopram. Dose reinstated Nov 2015.

7/1/16 Lamactil 137.5mg. Escitalopram 5mg; 24/3/16 lamactil 125mg; 20/4/16 escitalopram 4.5mg. 6/5 escit 4mg. 5/6/16 escit 3.6mg; 16/7/16 escit 3.5mg. 27/7/16 lamactil 112.5mg 18/8/16 escit 3.2mg 10/9/16 escit 3mg 16/9/16 lamactil 100mg 11/10/16 lamactil 112.5mg 28/10/16 escit 2.9mg 4/11/16 escit 2.8mg 10/11/16 lamactil 125mg 11/11/16 escit 2.7mg. 25/11/16 escit 2.4mg 10/12/16 escit 2mg 1/1/17 escit 1.7mg 17/1/17 escit 1.5mg 4/2/17 escit 1.4 19/2/17 escit 1.3mg 13/3/17 escit 1.2mg 22/3/17 escit 1mg. 4/5/17 escit 1.15mg 5/5/17 turmeric 800mg

Hi Ali and all.   The back and leg pain has been really bad lately.   I went for a sauna for the first time ever which seemed to ease it.  Also just got some curcumin so see how that goes.  Can't sleep with the back pain and my sleep was rubbish anyway, so really struggling.  This does not help my relationship with my partner as I disturb him and we have no other bedroom.   We have had such terrible arguments during WD and as you say Ali, I think he must feel helpless and probably a bit bored with it all.   Like you say, I feel guilty too for not feeling better after all this time.  Now the last 6 months with this back/leg pain it seems never ending and although we have talked it through for ages, it seems like setback after setback.   His life and mine is going by and I am just so stuck.   All I seem to do with him is moan and I can hear myself and I want scream that I just want to feel OK.  You are right about it being a desolate place.

Trying to bring small bits of beauty into your life can help lift the mood a bit. Treat your self to a bunch of flowers from the shops. Enjoy some nice cloud shapes (Cloud Appreciations Society on Facebook).  Little things to distract from the day to day pain of WD. 

Hi Ali and all.   The back and leg pain has been really bad lately.   I went for a sauna for the first time ever which seemed to ease it.  Also just got some curcumin so see how that goes.  Can't sleep with the back pain and my sleep was rubbish anyway, so really struggling.  This does not help my relationship with my partner as I disturb him and we have no other bedroom.   We have had such terrible arguments during WD and as you say Ali, I think he must feel helpless and probably a bit bored with it all.   Like you say, I feel guilty too for not feeling better after all this time.  Now the last 6 months with this back/leg pain it seems never ending and although we have talked it through for ages, it seems like setback after setback.   His life and mine is going by and I am just so stuck.   All I seem to do with him is moan and I can hear myself and I want scream that I just want to feel OK.  You are right about it being a desolate place.

Sadly, I don't know what to say. So many of us are going through the negative emotions this process brings, and for many a lot of negative emotions which have been numbed by the meds all this time. Have you looked at some of the self care stuff on this site, perhaps find other ways to help your mood? I have used a really good book called The Mindful Way Through Depression. I also find time outdoors in nature helps. When I feel very low, I find not reacting to my sadness helps. I haven't yet found a way to deal with this anger, but I shall work on it!

I hope you're feeling a little better today.

Alex.    Not to run away with your thread , but  I agree with Ali , that sometimes what we perceive to be true isn't necessarily so .  I've had times where I thought my husband , had experienced enough  & was fed up , only to find out later , that he was just overwhelmed , didn't know what to do or say  and was actually in " awe " of my courage , in dealing with  my withdrawal symptoms !   Go figure.  

I have learned to " never assume " .

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

I find that I do react to things when I don't need to and should let things ride.  Yes being outdoors does help and I am lucky to live where there are lots of beautiful places to walk.    I will re-visit the self care sections of this site.  Thanks AliG for your words which are very true.  Been off all drugs around the same time as you.  We have come so far and I just hope that our lives will one day consist of more windows than waves.   Thanks for all kind words.

Hello Brass Monkey.   Any thoughts on curcumin causing insomnia?  I have bought some organic stuff and been sleeping really bad the last 2 nights, last night hardly slept at all.  I have only had a low dose.  It's probably just me but wondered if you had any advice.

Hi Alexander-- I think it is more than likely the WDs causing the insomnia and not the curcumin.  From what I have read it appears that it might actually help with sleep but only found one discussion of that which stated that four capsules at bed time helped some people.  The only report I found of it causing trouble it was for two out of 85 subjects and there were a lot of other factors that could have been causing it.  I haven't noticed anything one way or the other and I've been taking it daily for about four months now.

Thanks for the reply.  I'll keep trying it for the back and hip pain.  I find myself making all kinds of connections with my body reactions when I start taking anything new.   It's just a matter of trial and error.

• 1 month later...

When I took Paxil for 12 years, my weight increased by just over a stone.   In the couple of years since I came off it, I have lost all that without trying. I am not a big person and now weigh just less than 7 1/2 stone, what I was before I took Paxil.   Regarding the hip and back pain, I have read on line about weight loss possibly leading to back pain, due to loss of muscle tone.  I saw a physio recently who said my "core" was weak round the base of the spine, causing the pain.  I am now on an exercise programme.  Has anyone else experienced this?  The constant low level pain for a year now is getting me down, my sleep is terrible anyway and this makes it worse.   This last few weeks I just feel really weak and tired.   Is there any end to getting over these meds?

• Moderator Emeritus

It's not fast, unfortunately.  We have other people here who are also waiting for a long time to see more healing.  What exercise are you doing?  Gentle yoga is especially good for building up core strength without also ramping up your withdrawal symptoms. 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

you're not alone,Alexander..I'm feeling so sick and weak today,too.

We've been off paxil about the same time....I had hoped to feel much better by now...oh,well what can we do but hang in..

I get a lot of back pain ,too but I have scoliosis,too.

I hope you start feeling better soon...ds

went on Prozac 1994-99,60mg.poopout ct  back on 2001-2002,prozac weekly 2002,not working,Effexor 75 mg.?2003-mar.2004 gaining weight 8wk. taper,wellbutrin 150 mg.mar. -may 2004 ctmedfree til july 2005 back to Prozac gaining weight again,back on wellbutrin jan.2006150-300 mg.bad constipation.also was taking aygestin(hormone)perimenopausal irregular bleeding.back on Prozac around sept,?2006,hysterectomy jan30.2007(adenomyosis)off&on Prozac til 2009,citalopram about 1 mo, April 2010 no effect,Effexor again may -mar, 2011.ct,Prozac aug,-dec, 2011 &sept-nov 2012,paroxetine oct,23 2013-may 4 2014 20 mgs.tapered 6 wks.-failed RI in Oct.2014-in protracted WD.started 10 mgs. Fluoxetine May 25 2021 .Stopped fluoxetine May 2022 at 5 mgs.

The exercises are pilates ones for lower back, doing them gently and regularly as I know improvement will be a slow process.  Two nights out of the last four, I've been awake most of the night so feeling shattered.   I'm going away for just a few days next week and dreading the stress, but I need to make the effort mainly for my long suffering partner.   But I'm feeling so low and dreading lying awake for hours in anticipation of the change.   

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to hear about your sleep problems Alexander. Hoping you get some relief soon and some better nights to follow...

I can relate to feeling like all you ever do is moan about feeling unwell. I'm back living with my parents and they're both in their sixties and between looking after an elderly grandmother (93) with dementure and listening to me harp on about not sleeping properly, breathing properly,  and having problems with my hands and feet - I'm certain they've probably had enough and just want to enjoy their lives....

A convenient link to my introduction post

2003 Paroxetine (20mg I think) daily for 5 months due to extreme anxiety before final exams and stopped cold turkey. From 2003 onwards I have suffered with extreme anxiety, akathisia, severe muscle tension & digestive problems whenever off I'm off anti-depressants.

2007 Clonazepam (unsure of dose) - took approximately 100 tablets to try and self medicate for anxiety.

2007-09 Amitryptyline 10mg - was advised to take this "as and when needed" for anxiety.

April/May 2011 Diazepam 2mg - 2 week course followed by complete inability to sleep upon finishing so started Citalopram 40mg and I was able to sleep again.

Mid 2012 Diazepam 10mg - took approximately 100 tablets.

Mid 2012 Started Citalopram taper - 5mg reductions every month or two, severe withdrawal symptoms throughout taper.

Apr 2013 Completely off Citalopram and continued to have severe withdrawal.

Oct 2013 Completely fell to pieces mentally and alongside had a whole host of debilitating physical symptoms too. I went to the doctors who performed whole batteries of tests but had no idea what was wrong with me. They tried me on Sertraline and Amitryptyline to which I had terrible reactions which made symptoms worse. Eventually got put on Nortryptyline 25mg, which I tolerated and over 3 months withdrawal symptoms started to abate.

Mid 2014 discovered survivingantidepressants.org and hallelujah! I knew what was wrong with me - slow taper FTW!

Late 2014 & 2015 Reduced Nortryptyline 22.5mg & 20mg respectively in November & December of 2014. In 2015 Tapered Nortryptyline from 20mg to 10 mg in 2mg increments. Withdrawal symptoms with each dose reduction are debilitating but in a much different way to Citalopram.

In the last 2 years since I came off seroxat, I've hardly had a week of feeling ok and it does get you and your loved ones down.  I've had a good few days recently but the sleep just won't be consistent.   3 nights out of the last 4 have been bad with last night finding me awake till after 5 am, This is not good for me or my partner as I disturb him  too.   But I did have some good days recently wher I felt normal, rested and alive,  so I know that they can happen!  Your signature tells me that you have also been through desparate times, so wish you all good things and peace.

• Moderator Emeritus

Alexander, have you tried melatonin? I am taking a different drug (Cymbalta) than the one you tapered. I have had shifted sleep onset, not getting to sleep until 4 or 5 am. Melatonin at dusk (approx. 2-4 hours before "bedtime") and early morning bright light helped me reset my sleeping patterns.

Some threads with possible ideas for you:

Melatonin for sleep

Important topics about symptoms including sleep problems

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

I have considered melatonin, maybe I should try it.  I have tried so many supplements in the last 2 years for WD symptoms and sleeping, but none have been too successful.  I will look into it though,  so thanks for the message.

• 2 weeks later...

Been feeling so awful for weeks now with far too brief windows.    So tired and drained and worn down and wonder if I will ever cope without those awful meds.   I want to feel well and happy so much.

• Moderator Emeritus

Alexander, it's a hard time going through long-lasting waves.  It's a very hopeful sign that you have windows, however brief they are.

Back toward the start of your intro, Petunia linked to our The Windows and Waves pattern of stabilization Have you read that recently?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Yes there are so many similar experiences there.   It's scary to read that people are still having problems after 6 years off, when I have only been 2.    My partner is tired of me moaning and it feels so lonely sometimes, so it's good to be on this site.  Lately, every day and night is an uphill struggle.   Thanks to everyone.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Alexander.

Just a thought about your back pain. Have you had your feet checked? I had terrible trouble when I reduced from 20-10mg of Paxil with back and leg pain. There was actually a reason for it, I think that our toleration of pain is low when in withdrawal. Go see a podiatrist , I did and was literally relieved over night of  the pain.

Thank you for your reply fizzkind.  I am intrigued to know what the podiatrist did and said and would love to hear about it.

• 1 month later...

Anyone have any thoughts on using Phenergan tha anti histamine to help sleep.   It's over 2 years since I last took Paxil and really struggling .   Been prescribed this

as suffering badly from lack of sleep.   Struggling on every level. 

• Moderator Emeritus

We have this discussion on antihistamines in general:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/505-antihistamines-and-what-to-use-for-allergy-relief/

Personally, my sleep improved once I started taking MSM.  There's limited studies available on it, and it doesn't work for everyone, but if you are searching perhaps it's worth a try. 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

Thanks for the reply.   Just seem to be struggling all the time with poor health symptoms and lack of sleep.   I feel exhausted all the time, so sick of myself and being me.

• Moderator Emeritus

so sick of myself and being me.

Exactly what I said to my hubby about a week ago.  It's a really 'stuck' sort of feeling.  In my experience it does go away after a while - hopefully it will for you too.  It's just hard, isn't it, having to deal with such difficult on-going issues. 

Here's a Michael Leunig cartoon I've enjoyed recently, "A Herbal Remedy for Lifeache".

lifeache.jpg

8 month hold.

Love the cartoon and appreciate the thought.   I hate the nagging thought at the back of my mind that the only way I can function ok is on ad's.  No way will I go back on them but I just want to enjoy things again.   Just have to keep plodding on with the help of my long suffering partner and the people on this site.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone have any thoughts on taking oestrogen vaginal tablets for menopause problems and a recurrence of withdrawal symptoms.   Can your system be still so sensitive after 2 years off Paxil that something like this can still happen?

• Moderator Emeritus

I am using vaginal oestrogen cream and don't seem to be having any problems.

If you are concerned about it causing an issue you could use a cream instead and start with a small amount and gradually increase it and of course keep notes.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management