SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

JayPT: Hello from Jay

JayPT

Hi people, this is my story. 

I am from Portugal and a few years ago I was diagnosed with depression after a few panic attacks that sent me to the ER with no apparent illness. As you can see from my signature, I was taking Paroxetine for 6 years, being a zombie, so I decided to stop it. Took me three attempts to withdraw, nasty results on the first two attempts. The third was smoother, but I taper too fast and felt the results not one month after the last pill. 

I then began an alternate medicine treatment using 5HTP, Omega 3 and a nice Valerian Root pill for emergencies. Ever since I was feeling great and hopeful. I actually felt i could withdraw this winter after my doctor said he was feeling some tremendous positive results. 

But, by early December some extremely painful headaches began scaring me and on the 21st I woke up in the middle of the night with tinnitus in my right ear. Unfortunately, this seems mild, but it was destructive. All my hard work motivating myself suddenly burst into nothing when on the 26th I had a major, real MAJOR panic attack that threw me to the ground crying.

Though I know it's all anxiety and low Serotonin on my blood system, I can't help but allow the symptoms to create awful mental pictures in my mind. I immediately dwell on nasty diseases and health issues I "could" have. 

My doctor has little experience with this, so I went to a specialized otorhino doctor. The ears were clean with no wax or no sign of inflammation so the doctor sent me back to my own doctor saying I may need a CAT scan. 

So the tinnitus may take my earing a bit and cause disconfort, but what is worse is that my anxiety peaked again. I have very light sleep, I am light headed and feel I can blow up any time. 

It's like all my won battles are insignificant. It's been one year, shouldn't it be time to be well? 

2007 - Began Paroxetine 20mg treatment after severe panic attacks.

Early 2011 - Tried tapering with nasty results. Return to normal dosage. 

Mid 2012 - Another failed tapering attempt. Return to normal dosage. 

Mid 2013 - Began alternate medicine treatment. Feeling great.

August - November 2013 - Began tappering with some success. Took a bit longer than desired but last pill taken 29th November 2013.

Christmas 2013 - Worst days of my life. All symptoms possible return with full intensity. Hard to cope.

January - November 2014 - Alternate 5HTP and Omega 3 treatment gradually improve my day-to-day life.

December 2014 - Feeling great before holidays, I woke up during one night with right ear Tinnitus. Hard time sleeping and poor motivation as a result.

December 26th 2014 - Worse panic attack in a long time. All my year of hard work in self motivation gone. Feeling like crap, worse feelings ever. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Jay and welcome to SA,

tinnitus is one of the most common withdrawal symptoms. Reading about experiences of other people will give you some comfort: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1736-tinnitus-what-does-all-that-noise-mean/

Since our nervous system controls all processes in our body it is not surprising that many symptoms of withdrawal are physical. However scarry and painful they are, they usually don't have any physiological background so you don't have to worry. A lot of us have experiences of negative test results. When I experience some physical symptom I do consult my GP and she runs some tests but we are not surprised when they come back clean. There is a slight chance that there might be some physical illness but it never is. 

It is not uncommon that consequences of a too abrupt discontinuation of these drugs appear even after 1 year.

I would also be (and am) totally scared when experiencing a panic attack and before I would think it just meant that from then on I would crash even more. But it doesn't have to be and it isn't that way. It's just a cramp or a wave which will pass after a while if we calm down and don't "attack" it with some heavy machinery and in particular if we stay away from drugs which can have a paradoxical reaction in such situations. 

I'm very happy you have foudn this site. The information you will find here will reduce your fear which is your major issue right now and very understandable. I really believe this symptoms will go away soon. 

Please also read through our topic about 5HTP. After too abrupt discontinuation our brains are extra sensitive to all substances. It might be that some of the symptoms you are experiencing right now are related to 5 HTP: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/656-5-htp-5-hydroxytryptophan-and-tryptophan/

We found magnesium to be very effecient in reducing anxiety so I would recommend you try it. More about it here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

Thank you for filling in your signature. I'm sure other members will come in with their opinions and suggestions soon. Most importantly: don't be afraid. Things like that come and go. 

Best,

Bubble

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Hi Bubble

Thank you so much for your reply. 

I must confess that after reading your words and the links you pasted, I felt so much better. For a few moments when I first felt the tinnitus, this was at 5 o'clock in the morning as it woke me up, I had all sorts of thoughts going through my mind. The worse being it could be a stroke or something. I guess it all went spiraling down since then. It's been almost 9 days with this thing buzzing (sort of a low level hum, like a car engine running behind a wall. Sometimes it's continuous, some other times is erratic, not really pulsating. 

As for 5HTP, I take a very mild dosage in the morning, it's not even enough to give me side effects. I know of the dangers of overdose, but aside some bad digestions I really felt it was doing me some good. I will talk to my doctor about it. 

About magnesium, my Omega 3 supplement already contains magnesium. It's a mild quantity, I think it's just 10mg. Again this has helped me a lot.

Now, all I have to do is cope with this nasty sound, try to learn to live with it and relax as much as I can. My doctor wants me to go to another specialized doctor to check my upper back and see if there's anything wrong. He's thinking that since I got the tinnitus while sleeping it could be a bad position during sleep. I dunno... I feel like I'm in the hands of doctors that try stuff and not really solve much.

August - November 2013 - Began tappering with some success. Took a bit longer than desired but last pill taken 29th November 2013.

Christmas 2013 - Worst days of my life. All symptoms possible return with full intensity. Hard to cope.

January - November 2014 - Alternate 5HTP and Omega 3 treatment gradually improve my day-to-day life.

December 2014 - Feeling great before holidays, I woke up during one night with right ear Tinnitus. Hard time sleeping and poor motivation as a result.

December 26th 2014 - Worse panic attack in a long time. All my year of hard work in self motivation gone. Feeling like crap, worse feelings ever. 

• Moderator Emeritus

I think you have some really good attitudes ;)

Yes, that's the best thing to do: learn to cope with the symptoms until they go away. I have been spared of that particular issue (tinnitus) but others will know what helps best.

Regarding the tests, if they are not harmful or invasive, I usually go. Having the condition of our back established can be useful. Luckily I learnt very early when I was 19 that I can say NO to doctors. They like trying things out but since it is my body, I feel I have the right to say no.

I think it would be safe to take some more magnesium. In our pharmacies here I couldn't find the glycinate form which is the mildest on the gut but citrate is also not bad. As with everything, it's best to increase the amount gradually.

You will find a lot of useful information in symptoms and self care which will calm you further. This is a very good topic as well: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/82-the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-recovery/

You will also find a lot of friendly support here.

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

And friends are such a wonderful thing. I admit I have few friends, I'm kind of a boring person and depression set many people away from me. I don't blame them, part of it was not understanding my illness, so it's ok. 

But I guess these sites help a lot. I was very sad to see Paxilprogress gone, i was an active member there. I found this one by chance, but I read so many great things here.

Thank you for all your effort.

Hiya Jay!   I'm a refugee from paxilprogress also, but I think you'll be glad in the end that you found this site - it's fantastic - the information here is very reassuring.  

I can relate to your depression problems well, but there are many things that can help us manage that.   Don't be afraid to take more magnesium - it's great.  Exercise works really well for me too - just pottering around, nothing strenuous - just making sure you get out in the fresh air and lots of daylight.  You probably know all this so apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs lol.

The tinnitus is normal for withdrawal - I never had it too badly but many here have - I'm sure they'll be on to reassure you soon.  Good to get it checked out medically first though - just to make sure.

Anyway, welcome :)

Put on Prothiaden for severe depression in 1989.  Recovered.   Prescribed Paxil for another bout of depression around 2000.   Have been trying to taper ever since but always crash about 2 months after getting to zero.   Because of the crashes, for years I thought that there was something wrong with me.   Then found that the crashes were simply withdrawal.   Now following a maximum of a 10% reduction every month or so and ready to slow down any time I feel any symptoms whatsoever.  Feeling good:).

7th Jan 15 - 3.6mg

28th Jan 15 - 3.2mg

Hi

Thanks for the words Ever. And your experience is valuable. I cannot exercize much due to lack of time, funds for a gym and, i confess, I lack the motivation too. I used to go for long walks but it's been too cold and i leave work at night in a rough neighborhood. So it's kinda hard to make this happen.

As for tinnitus, it's a very humbling experience, there's really little i can do to minimize its effect. It's intrusive, bothering and frustrating. It now has evolved to very hot ears and pressure on the sides of my head... Nasty thing...

Hi JayPT and welcome.

Ah Tinnitus. My companion for life. Your story sounds familiar. Mine started exactly the same way, while sleeping. Fortunately it sounds like your situation is milder than mine. I know very well how crushing it is to wake up in the middle of night to your ears suddenly screaming for no reason. In addition to tinnitus I have a nasty hyperacusia. It`s even worse symptom than tinnitus.

What ever the reason for your tinnitus is, it probably has been there for a while. It just was brought to surface by your wd. The good news is that many have gotten rid of it once all the wd symptoms slowly fade away. It may take years. Another good thing is that if it does not go away, you can learn to live with it, no matter how bad the sounds is. Bad thing is that it is not easy. Tinnitus really is not a sound. It is just your brain misinterpreting the signals it gets from your hearing nerves. Since we are very sensitized thanks to wd these signals are magnified and makes tinnitus bad. The more you fear it the worse it gets but the tinnitus itself does not make it worse. 

There are a few things you can do. Most important thing is to get you to sleep again if it causes you anxiety while trying to sleep. It is common that tinnitus may be very bad in the middle of night. This was the case for me in acute withdrawal. It was like fire alarm was stuck on inside my head. There is a great app called White Noise by TMsoft. It has got loads of back round noises to distract you from it. I play it every night and I sleep well. Usually I use it day time too. Do not use it to mask the tinnitus completely. Just use it to take the fear away. That way you can teach your brain to take the tinnitus as a friendly noise and in time you will lose interest in it and you will not notice it unless you look for it. 

I was a very bad case thanks to burnout, ssri/benzo combo and a couple of unsuccessful wd`s. These days I can live with and I`m confident that someday it will not bother me anymore.

You probably have read many horror stories from the net about tinnitus. Forget them. This will not kill you and with the right attitude anyone can learn to live with it with no problem :)

Br,

Moody

08 Cipralex 10mg for about 6 months. 11-12 Cipralex 20mg. Unsuccesful WD. 12-13 Zoloft 100mg with Diazepam 10-20mg as needed for anxiety.
Fall 13 Tapering Zoloft 100->50->25->12,5->0 in 2,5 months and CT Diazepam. 12/24/13 RI Zoloft 12,5mg

1/21/14 11mg

3/18/14 9,9mg

2/18/14 8mg

4/22/14 7,6mg

5/5/14 7,2mg

5/12/14 -> cutting 0,5mg per week, holding when necessary.

8/18/14 -> cutting 0,25mg per week holding when necessary.

10/20/2014 -> cutting 0,1mg per week, holding when necessary.
12/28/2014 Jump!

Moody what excellent advice!   

Jay - the gym???????  OMG I'd rather douse myself with petrol!   How uncivilised lol.   I'm lucky - I have a horse and have to pick up his poos every day.  22 of them each weighing a kg each.  Lots of slow walking back and forth to the compost heap.   Very very good slow easy exercise for depressed persons lol.   That's the sort of exercise that I'm talking about - just pottering slowly in daylight hours getting bright light into your retinas.  

Also what I do, because I'm such a lazy slob, is every time I go to the loo, I make myself drink something - water, coffee, herbal tea, whatever.    And that means I have to get off my big fat ass every half hour or so to go to the loo yet again.   And then I try to do something else slow and easy as well. like go check the mail or wash a dish.   It all really really helps in the end....

Put on Prothiaden for severe depression in 1989.  Recovered.   Prescribed Paxil for another bout of depression around 2000.   Have been trying to taper ever since but always crash about 2 months after getting to zero.   Because of the crashes, for years I thought that there was something wrong with me.   Then found that the crashes were simply withdrawal.   Now following a maximum of a 10% reduction every month or so and ready to slow down any time I feel any symptoms whatsoever.  Feeling good:).

7th Jan 15 - 3.6mg

28th Jan 15 - 3.2mg

Tinnitus really is not a sound. It is just your brain misinterpreting the signals it gets from your hearing nerves. Since we are very sensitized thanks to wd these signals are magnified and makes tinnitus bad. The more you fear it the worse it gets but the tinnitus itself does not make it worse. 

This! This right here. I never read this and never thought of it like this. It's true, the more i focus, the worse it gets. It's awful. But also gives me a nice perspective on how I can combat it. Thank you so much Moody. This really enlightens me. 

Just last night I slept very well, but woke up with that nasty V8 Engine in my head again. As I went along the daily activities I noticed it faded away, but as soon as I stopped and searched for it, there it was. I was focused, amplifying it. 

And Ever, so lucky. I love animals, especially dogs. I would love to pick up poo from any animal too... lol... but I live in a big city, there isn't much I can do to interact with animals here. And my flat is so small I can't have a dog either. As for exercise, I do try to make a few walks and even pick the farthest parking spaces i can find, but I get so tired and sweat a lot from mild exercise, it often frustrates me.

Thank you, again. 

Tinnitus is creating a series of side-effects. Now I feel I'm having much more attention to my right ear, meaning that any sound perceived is now part of the tinnitus... or so my brain thinks.

Anxiety dropped quite a bit since I came here and started reading all the useful posts. Now it's just a matter of learning to overcome this.

That is a very common symptom created by fear. Nothing to worry about.

08 Cipralex 10mg for about 6 months. 11-12 Cipralex 20mg. Unsuccesful WD. 12-13 Zoloft 100mg with Diazepam 10-20mg as needed for anxiety.
Fall 13 Tapering Zoloft 100->50->25->12,5->0 in 2,5 months and CT Diazepam. 12/24/13 RI Zoloft 12,5mg

1/21/14 11mg

3/18/14 9,9mg

2/18/14 8mg

4/22/14 7,6mg

5/5/14 7,2mg

12/28/2014 Jump!

I try to think there's nothing wrong. I am able to sleep fairly at night, but still wake up suddenly with the noise and it's a pain getting back to sleep.

The problem is that I am too focused on the sound and it tends to drive me a bit nuts. 

I am taking your words to the heart, moody. You've been quite the help, thank you. 

That night time noise is mostly amplified by wd. I still get those sometimes but they are much milder than a year ago.

Masking noise during night helps this very much. There are speakers that you can put inside your pillow. I just have old headphones that I keep in the bed. They leak enough noise to mask the worst of it away. Have you tried that iphone/android app I talked about?

1/21/14 11mg

3/18/14 9,9mg

2/18/14 8mg

4/22/14 7,6mg

5/5/14 7,2mg

12/28/2014 Jump!

Amazingly I already had that app. I used it while I worked for the fireplace sound. I just never used the other sounds but I am willing to give it a shot. 

I noticed that some positions while I'm sitting improve or worsen the sound. Could this really be a cervical issue? 

I'm getting my appetite back. Not much, but I am. One step at a time, I guess.

Hi Again

These last three days have been an emotional roller coaster. 

Three days ago I had a major breakdown that caused another panic attack. I eventually managed to get a session with a chiropractitioner near me. 

I told him my history and he gave me some mild expectations towards my tinnitus. He did, however, enforced the "mild" expectation. In his words "if this is a cervical issue it could go after one session or slowly afterwards". It all depended on the seriousness of my back issues and if the tinnitus is at all related.

Two hours of massage and bone cracking, some of it quite painful, I had a wonderful day feeling like a million bucks. I regained some appetite, enough to get proper meals, and during the day the tinnitus seemed to be gone. 

Until I tried to go to sleep.

Immediately lying down on my bed I felt some terrible neck and back pains. The doctor told me the effects of the manipulation could last up to 48 hours. But the worse was that the tinnitus is still there. A bit less intense, I'll admit, but still there. Anxiety kicked in, thoughts of dread and panic took over and sleep was hard to get. Kept turning and turning, some of this was trying to relieve the neck and back pain a bit, but the objective was to try to make the tinnitus less evident, even if milder, it's still disturbing. 

I slept about 5 hours, woke up, slept a bit, woke up, and so on... I must have slept about 7 hours in total. Not bad, but I feel really tired, because it wasn't deep sleep. Hi had vivid dreams and nightmares.

I keep the words of MoodyBlues in my mind and it really helps me.

I used to try to find an explanation from my neck and back too. Went to massages etc. They always helped a little but the reason behind it turned out to be the fact that it relaxes your mind = less tinnitus.

I really would once again recommend using the masking noise during night. 

If you feel like constantly avoiding it, that is normal but the more you run away from it, the worse it gets. Then there comes the time when you completely put your focus on it, research it and just feed your fear like crazy. That is normal behaviour too. Fear drives us. 

This is a slow process. If you can accept that, you are fast going to the right direction.

Remember. You are not a special case. Anyone can do this. It just takes a lot of acceptance, practice and time.

Br,

Moody

1/21/14 11mg

3/18/14 9,9mg

2/18/14 8mg

4/22/14 7,6mg

5/5/14 7,2mg

12/28/2014 Jump!

Moody,

Thanks once more.

Let me just ask you something. What type of Tinnitus you experience? Is it a high or low level humming? A pulsing sound? 

Mine is as I said a low level hum that's not constant. I read around and it seems to be a rare type. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Jay,

I also have tinnitus, caused by AD withdrawal.  I agree with Moody, do what you can to distract yourself from it, use other noise to mask it at night.  I have a high pitched tone which seems to be inside my head and low hissing in my right ear. But its getting less and at times I hardly notice it now.

If yours comes and goes, it will probably go away completely in time.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Hi Petu

Thanks for the words.

I've noticed that the symptoms are slowly fading away. It's not so evident now and I am trying something with my doctor to see if we can finally understand what's wrong. 

For the first time in days, I'm actually hopeful... 

Hi, just dropping by for a quick update.

Living with tinnitus is a challenge. Worse of it all is that the december breakdown threw me unbalanced in a destructive way.

I'm fighting anxiety on a day-to-day basis and need to find ways to motivate myself and avoid the explosive panic attacks.

Sleeping is still hard, not as bad but I still feel I need more sleep.

Some painful headaches once and a while, like someone pinches my skull for a second and let's go. Weird and bothers me a lot.

Thanks for reading. 

I don't even know if you are willing to read what I write here. Although I know that some of my writings are created from anxiety, I would like to believe I may be helping some people with my experience.

Since my last panic episode in December cause by lack of appetite and sleep deprivation, I have been oscillating emotionally, from fairly well periods to anxious and chaotic moments. I cannot say I am worse, I am not worse. It doesn't feel like the terrible feelings I had one month after tapering. But I sure am not alright. 

The most annoying symptom, is the tinnitus and how it robs me from my precious sleep. I know, I've repeated myself too much here, but I am not having an easy time coping with this. I can sleep better with noise-masking and relaxing exercises. But I still feel I sleep too lightly and have multiple dreams. 

The worst part of all this is the return of anxiety and something I haven't experienced in a long, long time: The feeling of hopelessness and lack of motivation, with periods of deep sadness and fatigue. I often get periods of self consciousness where I look at myself and question what I am doing... what's the point of this fight? 

I read a lot of posts here. I read some very inspirational words from people that fight off this tremendous chemical unbalance with courage and determination. One year after tapering I thought I was doing that... writing to help others. 

You all inspire me to carry on, to keep my chin up and smile a bit. I will come here one day and say I am feeling better, maybe even help others cope with all this.

Thank you for reading. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Jay,

I do check up on you and appreciate your updates :)

What you describe as oscillating sounds like windows and waves pattern of recovery. I'm posting the link once again:  http://survivinganti...rn-of-recovery/

Read it helped me a lot to cope and accept my state as something temporary. Also it made me see that despite the symptoms I was actually recovering. 

Are you taking any magnesium to help you cope with anxiety?

Keep us posted.

Heya Jay - I've been following you too.   Just remember that the horrible way you are feeling right now is just withdrawal - it is not the way you will always feel.    A couple of months ago I just wanted to be dead, and now I can hardly remember that.   I am lucky and reinstatement worked for me, but it just goes to show you how totally different you will feel eventually.   Hang in there

7th Jan 15 - 3.6mg

28th Jan 15 - 3.2mg

Hi again! :)

Today was a very different day. I went to the doctor yesterday, the chiropractitioner and was able to correct my upper back issues a bit more. He said I was much better and I truly felt much better. The buzzing from tinnitus seems to be much less powerful, still there, but not as strong. 

As for my anxiety, I noticed that the massages relaxed me a lot and it helped realize that I really, really need to let go and relax a lot more. I will continue with the breathing exercises and noise-masking. 

I drew my wave pattern reviewing my year in terms of wd and anxiety symptoms. It really sounds like the wave pattern is ascending to total stabilization. Here's hoping... :)

I asked my doctor for his view on Magnesium, he'll call me back once he investigates a bit, due to the other medication I am taking. 

Thanks Bubble and Ever for your precious help. It's so good to know someone cares! :)

• Moderator Emeritus

it feels so good to read such updates!

Everything goes so much better once we manage to relax and stop fearing our fear.

Fish oil and magnesium are the only 2 supplements we recommend here since they are best tolerated and most beneficial in special circumstances like ours.

What are these other drugs that you are taking?

I mentioned it in my first post. I am taking 5HTP (natural supplement product), an Omega 3 supplement (Fish Oil with some other ingredients, also natural) and Valerian Root pills for "emergencies". 

The problem is that both 5HTP and the Omega 3 supplements have considerable ammounts of Magnesium, so my doctor doesn't want me to take too much.

Besides... financially speaking, these natural drugs are much more expensive than regular drugs. To give you an idea, these three natural pills I can only buy in specialized stores and in total I spend about 80 Euros (nearly 90 dollars). What I am trying to do is attempt to take one single pill with all I need instead of 3, including magnesium. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Please also read through our topic about 5HTP. After too abrupt discontinuation our brains are extra sensitive to all substances. It might be that some of the symptoms you are experiencing right now are related to 5 HTP: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/656-5-htp-5-hydroxytryptophan-and-tryptophan/

What dose are you taking?

Members with more experience regarding 5 htp will hopefully offer their suggestions on the possible impact it might have on how you are feeling. 

• Administrator

Hello, Jay.

If I were you, I would gradually discontinue the 5-HTP. It could be contributing to the tinnitus and headaches, it can be "activating," stimulating to your nervous system.

I can assure you do not have low serotonin in your blood or anywhere else. That is a myth. Please do not try to increase your serotonin with 5-HTP or other supplements.

I would not worry about taking too much magnesium. It's very hard to take too much, as it will cause diarrhea at doses that are too high for you. It can help with relaxation. There are inexpensive magnesium supplements (and omega-3 supplements) available through Web stores such as iherb.com or swansonvitamins.com.

Epsom salts for the bath contain magnesium. Please read http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

A fan can be an inexpensive noise-masking device at night. The humming might also help you sleep, it masks other sounds from the city. Personally, I was surprised how well this works.

If you are taking other drugs, please put them in the Drug Interactions Checker http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.htmland post the results in this topic.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi, sorry for not coming here earlier, but there's been some complications with the health of some relatives and, of course, it all adds up to my current state.

But I am better now.

Bubble, I carefully read about 5HTP and its dangers. I am NOT taking a chemical 5HTP but a natural product. I am scheduled to withdraw this medication as soon as I stabilize. As soon as I do, I will begin new magnesium and fish oil treatment. It's a process I need to trust, as I don't want any more withdrawal effects. 

Altostrata, I was told by a psychiatrist that the brain is used to produce less serotonin, because the medication restricted reuptaking, making it more abundant overall. When paroxetine it was gone, I always thought the symptom I had were due to a low level of serotonin during wd. Isn't this so?

I think i need to anticipate the 5HTP removal after all. :(

• Administrator

Altostrata, I was told by a psychiatrist that the brain is used to produce less serotonin, because the medication restricted reuptaking, making it more abundant overall. When paroxetine it was gone, I always thought the symptom I had were due to a low level of serotonin during wd. Isn't this so?

No, that isn't so. Serotonin production has gone back to normal. The serotonin receptors have been downregulated by the excess serotonin, which means they can't sense the serotonin. This throws the whole system off.

Adding more serotonin via 5-HTP doesn't help, the serotonin receptors still can't take it in.

Does the 5-HTP make you feel better?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi again

I can't really say I'm feeling better with 5HTP. I am much better than I was exactly one year ago and I began taking 5HTP right about that time. One could say it's related as during a brief time I couldn't afford the medication and was deprived of it for a couple of weeks and felt really bad during that time. On another note, before I take it each morning I feel kinda lethargic. This eventually fades away about half an hour from taking it.  Could be placebo... or dependancy... Still, my doc says this is a natural product and shouldn't be harmful.

I am beginning withdrawal of 5HTP next week. Wish me luck.

On another note... Tinitus! It's virtually gone. Two sessions with the chiropracticioner did the trick. Not only did he correct my back, he taught me how to stretch. That low hum I was hearing was a damaged nerve on my back. I also purchased a new chair for my office and feel much less neck pain. The overall best outcome: tinnitus is gone, or low enough to allow me to sleep.

As an update, however, yesterday and today was a bad day in terms of lack of sleep, fatigue, stomach aches and generally feeling like the flu... Withdrawal all over again. :( 

Win some, lose some, I guess. It will balance, I'm sure. 

Tinnitus virtually gone!   WOOT!

7th Jan 15 - 3.6mg

28th Jan 15 - 3.2mg

Tinnitus virtually gone!   WOOT!

You have no idea how that was ruining my mood and throwing me down. Hearing the silence again is just... a blessing.

:)

Spoke too soon, tinittus is back and as annoying as ever. 

Back to noise masking, back stretching and breathing techniques to calm down.

darn it... 

not fair... 

It went away once JayPT.   It will happen again!   Fingers and toes crossed for you.  

7th Jan 15 - 3.6mg

28th Jan 15 - 3.2mg