Are there such things as in person support groups?

Obstacle1

I was thinking about this. A lot of distress is probably caused for us by other people not being able to comprehend what we're going through. Has anyone ever thought about trying to start a support group for people experiencing withdrawal or horrible side effects? Or do such groups already exist? I was on the verge of starting one on meetup then I realised you have to pay

Began paxil/seroxat 20mg in 2001 for social anxiety, age 14

Switched to liquid and at some point tapered down to around 7ml(14mg)

2007 tapered too rapidly down to 4ml had severe depression and anxiety for a year, stabilised at 6.6ml(13.2mg), same dose ever since

Have had 2 negative reactions then, one in 2010 and one in 2014. Currently recovering from this latest one, whole array of symptoms that come and go

I was thinking about this. A lot of distress is probably caused for us by other people not being able to comprehend what we're going through. Has anyone ever thought about trying to start a support group for people experiencing withdrawal or horrible side effects? Or do such groups already exist? I was on the verge of starting one on meetup then I realised you have to pay

Dr Johnson in NC had in person withdrawal support groups last year but due to time limits he is no longer offering them.

Prozac 1999-2009 quit semi cold turkey.

2012 Placed on Seroquel 25 mg, Tranxene (Clorezepate) 3.75 mg 3x a day, Remeron 30 mg for anxiety/akathesia.

Weaned off Seroquel and Tranxene .to Remeron 15 Mg.

In May 2014 tried quitting Remeron at its lowest dose. Had severe withdrawals.Reinstated Remeron at 30 mg by doctor. August 5 2014 entered hospital. Doctor pulled the Remeron and bridged it to Pamelor (Nortriptyline) 40mg and Zyprexa 2.5mg.After removing the Remeron all my bad symptoms went away and I am stable.

9/11/14 - 7.5 mg tranxene, 40mg Pamelor, Zyprexa 2.5mg

12/29/14 -  20mg Pamelor, 1/6/15,  7/31/15 3.5mg, 8/10/15 3.2 mg, 9/15/15 2.2mg, 10/15/15 1.8mg

(Feb 2016 - 1.4mg Pamelor only -  OFF OF TRANXENE AND ZYPREXA SINCE DEC 2014 BENZO FREE Since 2014. Nortrityline (Pamelor) .8mg Aug 2016

March 2017 DRUG FREE

Hi, What withdrawal of drug(s) would you be looking to target on? where in the UK?

1997 - 2001 Seroxat 10mg

2001 - 2013 Escitalopram 10mg

Gradual taper from 10mg to 5mg over 2.5 years (between 2011 - 2013)

Last taper from 5mg to 0 under advice from doctor done in 1 month (too damn fast!) - included missing out days.

Have been drug free since Oct 2013.  - Yep 5 years drugs free

Dr Johnson in NC had in person withdrawal support groups last year but due to time limits he is no longer offering them.
He is having them again. Third Friday if every month or something close to it. Just got an email the other day about it. These are peeps that are tapering properly, so it might help if u are in a similar situation, but as for me and my CT, I don't think the meeting would benefit me that much.

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

• Administrator

In the Events forum, we have topics for people in different areas: Australia, California, UK, etc. The idea is that people might be able to meet in person if they like -- even start your own support groups!

I ran one in San Francisco for 2 years, with announcements only on Craigslist. Meetup.com would also be a good place to post announcements of support groups.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 2 months later...

I realise this discussion was a while ago but I would like to attend a support group and can't find one near London.  Was wondering if anyone living in or near London would like to meet up with a view to starting a group.

Kind regards, Poppy

2012 - about 7 various antidepressants, didn't suit.  Dec 2012 - 225mg venlafaxine.  2013 dropped to 150mg stayed for a year at this mg

2014 - 112.5mg venlafaxine.  2014 75mg venlafaxine.  2015 37.5mg venlafaxine for couple of weeks.  Back up to 75mg as agitated, and sobbing uncontrolably.  Back down to 37.5mg as 75mg too much.  Summer 2015 started cutting down by 2? every 2 weeks and added 50mg clomipramine as advised by gp to brdige venlafaxine.  8th Feb 2016 was down to 1.42 on scales then got panics on waking and crying and panics and overbreathing at lunchtime.  No cuts since then until now but on 17th March lost voice and terrible cough which still have on 30th March.  26th March upped to 1.44 for 4 days then back to 1.42 as felt down hard work with all the panicking and didn't want to go through that again.  Have had 17 CUTS of 2 % since summer 2015. Still on 50mg clomipramine as well.  Got down to about half of a 37.5mg capsule and just stopped, not sure if this was the amount as it is over 3 years ago now.  Obviously not the thing to do as have had no meds at all now for over 3 years and still feeling terrific protracted withdrawal.

• Administrator

The topics for people in different areas have been moved to the Relationships forum. They are pinned to the top.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy