SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ Aeroman: Hello From Aeroman!

Steerpike

• Moderator Emeritus

Be aware, though--the reaction to Cipro, or any other Fluoroquinolone antibiotic (Levaquin, Avelox, Floxin), more-than-likely had nothing to do with WD. This particular class of antibiotics is toxic. There are many warnings. The QVF (Quinolone Vigilance Foundation) has done their own research on the percentage of people who have a reaction, and I believe it was somewhere around 50%. These drugs were originally formulated as chemotherapy. Not only did my daughter suffer quite possibly permanent CNS damage 5 years ago at the age of 16, but two years before that, my husband was given FQ eyedrops during cataract surgery, and while overall he is better, still suffers from some symptoms. We had no idea what happened until our daughter was damaged by Cipro.

Yep, that's what I read as well...chemotherapy!  They are indeed toxic.  They do pass into the brain barrier and cause issues.

Lexparo 10mg user for 2.5 years. Last dose was 2/27/2008 after a fast 1 month taper. Recovered around 2011. Had issues with depression, anxiety, akathasia, inner restlessness, vertigo, insomnia, loss of appetite, eye floaters just to name a few. Basically rode it out, employing the Dr. Claire Weekes method.

Took Cipro in July of 2014 and have been having set backs with nausea, vertigo, anxiety (racing thoughts), and depression the last half of 2014.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks everyone, little by little. Like SSRI WD, recovery may not be a linear trend. I do my best not to measure it day by day but month per month or so. I got better sleep last night so hoping a trend continues. I remember after getting better sleep in Lexapro wd, I was on my way to recovery.

I hope this happens with me. My sleep has actually gotten better for a week now. I am sleeping about 7 hrs a night.

Hope that good sleep continues for you!

Lexparo 10mg user for 2.5 years. Last dose was 2/27/2008 after a fast 1 month taper. Recovered around 2011. Had issues with depression, anxiety, akathasia, inner restlessness, vertigo, insomnia, loss of appetite, eye floaters just to name a few. Basically rode it out, employing the Dr. Claire Weekes method.

Took Cipro in July of 2014 and have been having set backs with nausea, vertigo, anxiety (racing thoughts), and depression the last half of 2014.

• Moderator Emeritus

Ugh, I am having a return of vertigo/dizziness/off balance issues.  Any one else have this?  I can be fine sitting behind my desk working on the computer or sitting there looking out at the horizon and then BAM!!!!  I get this "internal brain reset" feeling where I get lightheaded kinda thing.  This started about a month after Cipro and also a few months after Lexapro withdrawal...which brings me to my next thing...I have been off Lexapro for 7 years! (Feb 27, 2008 last dose)

Ugh, I am having a return of vertigo/dizziness/off balance issues.  Any one else have this?  I can be fine sitting behind my desk working on the computer or sitting there looking out at the horizon and then BAM!!!!  I get this "internal brain reset" feeling where I get lightheaded kinda thing.  This started about a month after Cipro and also a few months after Lexapro withdrawal...which brings me to my next thing...I have been off Lexapro for 7 years! (Feb 27, 2008 last dose)

Aeroman,

My heart breaks for you regarding the Cipro situation.  Is your doctor aware of what happened and what is his/her reaction?  Just wondering.

I hope you feel better soon.

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• Moderator Emeritus

Aeroman,

My heart breaks for you regarding the Cipro situation.  Is your doctor aware of what happened and what is his/her reaction?  Just wondering.

I hope you feel better soon.

Thanks compsports....

After I told my doctor that Cipro was causing anxiety and such, he said "Its not supposed to do that", I gave up going back.  It's in the damn insert!

Thanks again.

Aeroman! WAHOO! 7 years! I'm so happy for you.

As for the Cipro WD, omg. I cannot believe this crap is happening again. I have to wonder if because you were on ssri's and had a bad WD your CNS was left sensitive so this is why you are STILL affected by the cipro?

I've been searching for people who have had this strange dizzy spell like a brain reset even while sitting. You described it PERFECTLY. I had this Wierd feeling maybe 3 times over all in WD. I recall everytime I was sitting at work at my desk and computer, all was perfect and fine, no WD or anxiety or bad thoughts. Just working away and BAM, felt like the room was spinning or almost closing in on me like my brain just shut of momentarily and allin could do was go "WOAHHH" for like 2 seconds. THEN it would bring in instant anxiety because WTF was that?! Like a quick spell of vertigo or brain resetting or something. It only happened out of the blue over the years. NOW, in the past month it's come on with a vengeance along with my other autonomic stuff. But it's scared me because it would happen maybe 5-10 times a day for weeks. It seems to have stopped again( knock on wood) and I'll inly feeling it SLIGHTLY at times here and there.

This blows my MIND how this crap can happen and what exactly is it that is happening? Should we be concerned? Should we chalk it up to WD? I'm very sick of running to my doctors with every darn new symptom over these years. I've been through 3 doctors. None of them believe me. They all keep pushing ssris on me because this can't possibly be WD. I've given up and haven't been to a doctor in 8 months almost. I just keep feeling myself now that it HAS to be WD. What else would it be. I've have such bazaar things over these last few years.

Anyhow I get that dizzy stuff even from sitting. Actually it's ONLY happened while sitting. Other normal dizziness happens when I stand or an walking. This is different and quite scary.

Btw - yesterday was 3.5 years off meds for me. I'm finally where I actually thought id be by 12 months off. LoL. This is snails pace!!

I really hate hearing that those of us who have been compromised by ssri WD seem to have difficulties years later with other things. Are we even ever really healed?

13 years of Ssri's - celexa, Paxil, Prozac, Zoloft

2 fast tapers and 2 cold turkeys over the years

Psych med free since September 4th 2011 - fast tapered then CT'd 12.5 mg of Zoloft

“Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.”

― Mahatma Gandhi

• Moderator Emeritus

Aeroman! WAHOO! 7 years! I'm so happy for you.

As for the Cipro WD, omg. I cannot believe this crap is happening again. I have to wonder if because you were on ssri's and had a bad WD your CNS was left sensitive so this is why you are STILL affected by the cipro?

I've been searching for people who have had this strange dizzy spell like a brain reset even while sitting. You described it PERFECTLY. I had this Wierd feeling maybe 3 times over all in WD. I recall everytime I was sitting at work at my desk and computer, all was perfect and fine, no WD or anxiety or bad thoughts. Just working away and BAM, felt like the room was spinning or almost closing in on me like my brain just shut of momentarily and allin could do was go "WOAHHH" for like 2 seconds. THEN it would bring in instant anxiety because WTF was that?! Like a quick spell of vertigo or brain resetting or something. It only happened out of the blue over the years. NOW, in the past month it's come on with a vengeance along with my other autonomic stuff. But it's scared me because it would happen maybe 5-10 times a day for weeks. It seems to have stopped again( knock on wood) and I'll inly feeling it SLIGHTLY at times here and there.

This blows my MIND how this crap can happen and what exactly is it that is happening? Should we be concerned? Should we chalk it up to WD? I'm very sick of running to my doctors with every darn new symptom over these years. I've been through 3 doctors. None of them believe me. They all keep pushing ssris on me because this can't possibly be WD. I've given up and haven't been to a doctor in 8 months almost. I just keep feeling myself now that it HAS to be WD. What else would it be. I've have such bazaar things over these last few years.

Anyhow I get that dizzy stuff even from sitting. Actually it's ONLY happened while sitting. Other normal dizziness happens when I stand or an walking. This is different and quite scary.

Btw - yesterday was 3.5 years off meds for me. I'm finally where I actually thought id be by 12 months off. LoL. This is snails pace!!

I really hate hearing that those of us who have been compromised by ssri WD seem to have difficulties years later with other things. Are we even ever really healed?

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   I am not alone!  YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!  I almost jumped out of my chair (no spins lol) when you said this:

"I recall everytime I was sitting at work at my desk and computer, all was perfect and fine, no WD or anxiety or bad thoughts. Just working away and BAM, felt like the room was spinning or almost closing in on me like my brain just shut of momentarily and allin could do was go "WOAHHH" for like 2 seconds. THEN it would bring in instant anxiety because WTF was that?! Like a quick spell of vertigo or brain resetting or something."

That's exactly it!  Happened yesterday a bunch of times.  Also, when I drive especially down the freeway, I feel really off, like I am floating or my vision is wonky.

Oh, I know I was left with sensitivity towards stuff from WD but in no way shape or form did it affect my quality of life.  I was perfectly fine from the end of 2011 to the summer of 2014 - Cipro messed me up!  Yeah, stuff like caffeine and alcohol tend to hit me faster than before but I got used to it.

The doctors just don't believe this was caused by meds.  I told them over and over I was not like this before.  I know I am a normal human being, proved by the numerous testing that always came back normal!!!!!

Folks, dont freak out!?  This is NOT wd!  This was induced by Cipro, it is a very toxic and potent drug!  Stay away from Fluoroquinolones!

Yes imac, recovery is very very slow but it does happen, trust me.  And it is not linear.  You just noticed over time that hey, things are better than say, 2 months ago, etc etc...and next thing you know, you move on to living life again

Yes. This is not wd.

There is some discussion going on on Fluoroquinolones in my country too. They can create very wd-like symptoms. Even death. Fortunately that is very rare. People that were totally fine before suddenly are locked into mental institutions because of anxiety and suicide risk, etc.

08 Cipralex 10mg for about 6 months. 11-12 Cipralex 20mg. Unsuccesful WD. 12-13 Zoloft 100mg with Diazepam 10-20mg as needed for anxiety.
Fall 13 Tapering Zoloft 100->50->25->12,5->0 in 2,5 months and CT Diazepam. 12/24/13 RI Zoloft 12,5mg

1/21/14 11mg

3/18/14 9,9mg

2/18/14 8mg

4/22/14 7,6mg

5/5/14 7,2mg

5/12/14 -> cutting 0,5mg per week, holding when necessary.

8/18/14 -> cutting 0,25mg per week holding when necessary.

10/20/2014 -> cutting 0,1mg per week, holding when necessary.
12/28/2014 Jump!

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes. This is not wd.

There is some discussion going on on Fluoroquinolones in my country too. They can create very wd-like symptoms. Even death. Fortunately that is very rare. People that were totally fine before suddenly are locked into mental institutions because of anxiety and suicide risk, etc.

Absolutely.

I have connected with a bunch of people who took Cipro and other FQs that never had anxiety issues before and some went into psyche wards only to be medicated and not help them.  They have all told me to not take anything and hang in there because it does get better but it takes time.

Thanks for sharing the warning on the Cipro. When one just starts to taper, one really has no clue of all these tiny factors that could make it more difficult and risky than it already is...

I wish you a lot of strenght Aeroman, you seem like such a strong person and you're my example on how to beat the Lexapro-monster!

started on 10mg Sipralexa (Lexapro) in january 2010 for general anxiety disorder/panic attacks (possibly burn-out from studying).
stayed on it for 4,5 years.

started to reduce Lexapro with this "schedule" (and ignored doctor's advice to quit in 14 days):
- 10mg to 5mg on 16/07/2014 (no WD symptoms)
- after 8 weeks: 5mg to 2,5mg on 12/09/2014 (
1st week: heavy sweating at night; mood swings (angry), brainfog/derealization)

- after 7 weeks: 2,5mg to 2mg on 03/11/2014 (1st week: heavy sweating at night; from 2nd week on: mild brain zaps, eye floaters, mood swings)
- after 14 weeks: 2mg to 1,5mg on 14/02/2015 (
1st week: heavy sweating at night; from 2nd week on: shaking, trembling, severe anxiety attacks, loss of appetite, insomnia, very depressive feelings; from 3rd week on: shaking and trembling reduced, sometimes a "window" but anxiety always returns, very dark thoughts)

- updosed to 2mg on 07/03/2014

supplements: Metarelax (magnesium + Vit B ); Omega 3-fish oil; Sedinal drops in case of extreme anxiety;

acupuncture + CBT  

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for sharing the warning on the Cipro. When one just starts to taper, one really has no clue of all these tiny factors that could make it more difficult and risky than it already is...

I wish you a lot of strenght Aeroman, you seem like such a strong person and you're my example on how to beat the Lexapro-monster!

Thanks pieuw.  Yeah, I would be careful putting stuff into your mouth - read all of the possible side effects, especially the ones for CNS like depression, anxiety, etc.

I try to keep a positive attitude up despite being kicked to the floor numerous times.  I know that if I got through Lex w/d, I can get through this.  Lexapro w/d is not forever.

dear Aeroman i see on PP,

the psy meds relax muscles, when you stop them, muscles tense, 
for your back pains L5 etc , the meds act on muscles very often, when you stop meds, slow or quick, they tense, inflammation, and as muscles keep vertebra ...you are worse...
i do not say they are total cause, they only worsen weak sick places,
the other thing is when you think you have recovered 100%, it is not the case, because you feel recovered, it is only feeling, you often have residual damage you not feel, for example what happens to you is common after psy meds ,bad reacting when taking antibiotics, or some food allergy you never had in your life, these residuals which can be nasty arrive when you play with,
it exist damage we see, feel pains and damage we do not feel or when playing with them; allergy, new adverse reactions
you know the solution, no more take nada, and wait brain resolves all, but in future you have to be careful for chemical
it is only my opinion 

for anxiety 

12 years paxil - cold turkey 1,5 month - switch celexa 1 year taper; total 13 years on brain meds 

67 years old - 9 years  med free

in protracted withdrawal

rigidity standing and walking, dryness gougerot-szoegren, sleep deteriorate,

function as have a lack of nerves, improving have been very little 

Im sure its true about being more sensitive after WD Stan, but this is a common reaction with fluoroquinolones without ever taking psy meds anyway and he prob would have had the reaction anyway. They are what got me put on paxil in the first place due to horrific long lasting reaction to Levaquin. Drugs just suck!!

Paxil start September 2003 due to Fluoroquinolone adverse reaction that I wish doc. knew what it was. 10mg. most of the time with a few short runs of 20mg. FAST tapered 3 times and finally hit poop out or a reaction to nsaid's in Nov.2013. Started a 10% taper Jan. 2014 and have been ok until Sept 14 and went through a short hell. Now plodding through and looking for the light with unrelenting insomnia and pain, fog, loss of interests....<p>12/20/14 - .8mg.

1/01/15 - .75 mg.

1/15/15 - .42 mg. better sleep now, hope it continues...

2/11-15 - .25 mg. doing really good!! 2 weeks feel 85% of old me!

3/17/15 .14 mg. Knee pain bad!

4/07/15 .05 mg. this is so small now that I am estimating and just licking it off palm small as a "." 

4/13/15 NOTHING !!!! Took my last little micro dose on 4/12/15. 

Im sure its true about being more sensitive after WD Stan, but this is a common reaction with fluoroquinolones without ever taking psy meds anyway and he prob would have had the reaction anyway. They are what got me put on paxil in the first place due to horrific long lasting reaction to Levaquin. Drugs just suck!!

Paxil start September 2003 due to Fluoroquinolone adverse reaction that I wish doc. knew what it was. 10mg. most of the time with a few short runs of 20mg. FAST tapered 3 times and finally hit poop out or a reaction to nsaid's in Nov.2013. Started a 10% taper Jan. 2014 and have been ok until Sept 14 and went through a short hell. Now plodding through and looking for the light with unrelenting insomnia and pain, fog, loss of interests....<p>12/20/14 - .8mg.

1/01/15 - .75 mg.

4/07/15 .05 mg. this is so small now that I am estimating and just licking it off palm small as a "." 

7 years aeroman!!! awesome!! Im so sad that you have to go thru something again bc of yet more meds. Thats not fair. Its not fair the first time either but phase 2? Come on! You're a strong guy! 

2 Timothy 1-7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

Effexor 75mg to 262.5mg 2005-2010 for post partum depression

Started having poop out mid 2010, also switched generic brands, then crashed in Dec 2010 (anxiety/ "terror", intense DR, anhedonia, suicidal ideation, chills, insomnia, horrible intrusive thoughts, disorientation, ect)
Rapid "tapered" from 262.5mg Effexor in 3 months

Tried Celexa,Cipralex, then Paxil to deal with wd(this switching made things worse and added akathesia)

Found online support and started tapering Paxil 7 months after quitting Effexor (at this point was having small windows).

Paxil taper: dropped 10% every 4-8 weeks

Year 1 October 2011 to Nov 2012 20mg to 10mg

Year 2 March 2013 to Feb 2014 10mg to 4mg

Year 3 April 2014 to May 2015 4mg to 1.1mg

Year 4 June 2015 1.1mg , dropping by 10% until .5mg, after then dropped by 0.1mg every 5 weeks until 0.1mg.

Finished! Official last dose of 0.1mg on June 15/16

Aeroman, just read your thread and wow!! I'm so sorry you had this hideous run in with cipro ???? God I wish I would have read these sooner. I had a UTI the other day and was prescribed same as you, 2 500mg pills of cipro a day. I took 2 the first day and the next day holy ****. The most terrifying suicidally black depression I have ever experienced. I did not know the human mind was capable of feeling that hell. Do you think that was a reaction to the cipro? I was depressed before (due to my withdrawal) and im depressed now but nothing like that day.

Diagnosed: Pure O Ocd, Severe Anxiety Disorder NOS, PMDD

November 2009 - May 2013- CIPRALEX 20mg

C/T off 20mg Cipralex

Went into dark depression (never experienced before med)

September 2013 - March 2014- PROZAC 20mg

Weaned down to 10mg and held

October 1st 2014 C/T off 10mg Prozac

Protracted withdrawal - 8 months of the most horrific suffering imaginable

June 1st 2015 - ZOLOFT 25mg

June 26th 2015 - Dose increase to 50mg of Zoloft (taken at night after dinner). Slowly improving but still have severe OCD/ruminating, intense DP/DR, and brain fog. Just trying to stabilize at this point.

Jwtbf--Most likely this was a reaction to the Cipro. Many benefit from magnesium--especially in the early stages. My daughter was given Cipro for a UTI in the E.R. at 16. (Not supposed to be given to anyone under 18.) The dose was enough to kill a grown man. For those familiar, it was 750 mg. twice a day for 10 days. No APPARENT reaction, although looking back on it, this was when the insomnia started. Three months later, she was again given Cipro for a "UTI" she did not have--symptoms were not even consistent with UTI. (We thought she might have mono.) Five hours after the FIRST 250 mg. pill, she jumped up off the couch--her back hurt and was swollen, her neck hurt, her chest hurt, she couldn't breathe, and was "dying"... heart was racing. Rushed her back to the E.R., and they were extremely ugly. They should have known what was wrong. This was just the start of many, many symptoms over 5 years. She got better after 2 1/2 years only to get worse when she got a job, and had to quit. Most of her symptoms are CNS (especially autonomic), but she does have a lot of joint/tendon issues--at 21 years old. Her anxiety/depression is crippling, and when she started talking about needing AD's, can you imagine what my reaction was?! Fortunately she has seen enough of my WD to change her mind.

For those thinking this reaction is rare--it is NOT. Dr. Jay Cohen (researcher) has long ago said that 30% that take FQ's will have these reactions. The Quinolone Vigilance Foundation places it more in the 50% range. (I don't remember the exact figure--it may be higher.). The damage is cumulative, so you might "get by" with it once or twice (like my daughter appeared to). My take on it is--they might not get you the first time, or even the second or third time, but if you keep taking them, they WILL get you.

Zoloft 100 mg. daily for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since Oct. 1994 / Synthroid 88 mcg. daily / Supplements: Neptune Krill Oil-1,000 mg. twice daily/Astaxanthin 10 mg. twice daily/Ubiquinol 100 mg. twice daily (These 3 have allowed me to discontinue (approved by doctor) bp meds I was on. Calcium Citrate 500 mg. daily/Vitamin D3 2,400 iu daily/K2 (MK7) 100 mcg daily (osteopenia and fam. hist. of severe osteoporosis). Stress B Complex (1/2 dose)/Quercetin (for allergies/asthma)/Magnesium (400 mg. oral glycinate and about 50 mg. magnesium chloride spray oil a day, divided throughout day).

Tapered Zoloft about 6 wks. Totally off since the end of July (25-29, 2014). 3 wks. vertigo at end of taper, then 3-4 wks. OK, followed by withdrawal symptoms increasing in severity (nausea, gastric disturbances, loss of appetite, insomnia, restlessness, jitters, anxiety, agitation--jumping out of my skin--possible akathisia?) Seem to have paradoxical reactions to everything new, even Vitamin C. Severity of akathisia comes and goes, but is constant to some degree. Hard to leave house, and cannot be home alone. (Retired)

• Moderator Emeritus

exactly.

• Moderator Emeritus

7 years aeroman!!! awesome!! Im so sad that you have to go thru something again bc of yet more meds. Thats not fair. Its not fair the first time either but phase 2? Come on! You're a strong guy! 

Thanks aberdeen, yes, I wish I would have known!  Oh well.  here we go again!

• Moderator Emeritus

Aeroman, just read your thread and wow!! I'm so sorry you had this hideous run in with cipro God I wish I would have read these sooner. I had a UTI the other day and was prescribed same as you, 2 500mg pills of cipro a day. I took 2 the first day and the next day holy ****. The most terrifying suicidally black depression I have ever experienced. I did not know the human mind was capable of feeling that hell. Do you think that was a reaction to the cipro? I was depressed before (due to my withdrawal) and im depressed now but nothing like that day.

That's Cipro alright!

I had a UTI as well (I know, rare for men but it does happen).  I tell people that I have experienced panic attacks, depression, anhedonia, akathasia, etc and yes, they do suck.  BUT NOTHING compared to Cipro - I have been questioning my own sanity and that is a FIRST!  Yes, I know it was Cipro.

I told folks that when I recovered from Lex w/d, I would experience maybe 3 to 4 episodes of anxiety/depression waves a year.  And they were mild/moderate episodes lasting about 3-5 days.  They did not affect my quality of life.

Now, after Cipro, I was getting many more episodes and they lasted longer.  And it wasn't until Month 5 that wow, the ____ hit the fan!!!  And since Month 5 (December 2014), JUST as I am about to fall asleep, I get what I call "mind chatter" where I would hear a phrase or word in my head (not voices) and then startle me.  Weird S___!!!!

• Moderator Emeritus

Jwtbf--Most likely this was a reaction to the Cipro. Many benefit from magnesium--especially in the early stages. My daughter was given Cipro for a UTI in the E.R. at 16. (Not supposed to be given to anyone under 18.) The dose was enough to kill a grown man. For those familiar, it was 750 mg. twice a day for 10 days. No APPARENT reaction, although looking back on it, this was when the insomnia started. Three months later, she was again given Cipro for a "UTI" she did not have--symptoms were not even consistent with UTI. (We thought she might have mono.) Five hours after the FIRST 250 mg. pill, she jumped up off the couch--her back hurt and was swollen, her neck hurt, her chest hurt, she couldn't breathe, and was "dying"... heart was racing. Rushed her back to the E.R., and they were extremely ugly. They should have known what was wrong. This was just the start of many, many symptoms over 5 years. She got better after 2 1/2 years only to get worse when she got a job, and had to quit. Most of her symptoms are CNS (especially autonomic), but she does have a lot of joint/tendon issues--at 21 years old. Her anxiety/depression is crippling, and when she started talking about needing AD's, can you imagine what my reaction was?! Fortunately she has seen enough of my WD to change her mind.

For those thinking this reaction is rare--it is NOT. Dr. Jay Cohen (researcher) has long ago said that 30% that take FQ's will have these reactions. The Quinolone Vigilance Foundation places it more in the 50% range. (I don't remember the exact figure--it may be higher.). The damage is cumulative, so you might "get by" with it once or twice (like my daughter appeared to). My take on it is--they might not get you the first time, or even the second or third time, but if you keep taking them, they WILL get you.

Absolutely.  I took Cipro before, it didn't do a thing to me.

Took it again almost 10 years later, wow!  Big difference.

Never again will I take a FQ. 

• Moderator Emeritus

A friend of mine pointed me to this great SSRI w/d post on Facebook and wanted to share with you all.  Key word, ACCEPT:

The reason I write almost the same thing every day is that when in withdrawal, almost constant reassurance is needed. The temporarily compromised brain struggles to retain any words of encouragement and the heightened withdrawal-induced anxiety and organic fear can override all logic and take you off-track with the “what if?” catastrophizing thoughts.

It’s difficult to understand if you haven’t been through withdrawal. Every day you need to hear that you’re going to be okay. I now understand that this is why I relied so heavily on positive self-talk/affirmations. It was my way of reassuring myself and it really worked for me, at least most of the time.

I wasn’t aware of Facebook back then as it wasn’t yet popular, and I did not frequent any of the forums (there were more back then including TRAP and Benzo Island). I had my little “Light in My Windows” blog and that was about it. Many days I just lay on the sofa watching Eckhart Tolle’s Findhorn retreat dvd, watching or trying to listen to “Friends” and other sitcoms depending on how unwell I felt, listening to Glen Harrold’s relaxation CD or if the weather permitted, just sitting on the steps in my little garden watching the willow trees, waiting… Now when I think back, I wonder, “How did I do it?”

For me, I think the main break came when I accepted what was happening. It was like being freed from a long prison sentence. I think the reason I love “Shawshank Redemption” so much and watched it so often during withdrawal was because I related to Andy Dufresne's (Tim Robbin’s character) perseverance. All the time he was in prison, he knew he would one day be free and that vision of freedom lived in his head making him act “as if” and that in turn allowed him acceptance in his heart. It reminded me so much of how powerful hope is.

So, all I can say today is, see if you can tap into that feeling of acceptance. With any other withdrawal: alcohol, heroin, cocaine, etc., there is an acknowledgement that the outcome, once the person doesn’t relapse, will be recovery. Because benzo, z-drug and antidepressant withdrawal can last so much longer and can cause such intense physical problems in just about every area of the body, as well as psychological symptoms (we couldn’t make up the bizarre things that happen), this can make you lose sight of the fact that it is indeed withdrawal and is temporary. The outcome, too, is recovery.

Dear Friends, keep going. Okay? You can do this. Today, take a break from the Internet. There is a lot of support online but remember, everything is energy and if you constantly tune in to the energy of despair, this will have a negative effect on you. Yes, empathise and support each other, but refuel and replenish your energy through nature, your pets, and activities away from the computer that will ground you.

More than anything, trust in your ability to heal. I know it’s difficult to do but you are healing and you can, and will, get through this. Don’t give up and don’t give in. As I’ve said time and again, one day you will look back and you will smile when you think of how much you doubted yourself, and yet you made it. You will have confirmation of your body’s resilience and self-healing capabilities and it will change your life - a bit like people who have a near-death experience and seem to be on a natural high for ever after!:) At least that’s how I feel.

You may be thinking you have no more strength to keep going, but there is an infinite reserve within you that has taken you this far, and will take you through today, and the rest of the way. You will make it. Keep going. 

Yes--read that just this morning-- much needed!

Zoloft 100 mg. daily for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since Oct. 1994 / Synthroid 88 mcg. daily / Supplements: Neptune Krill Oil-1,000 mg. twice daily/Astaxanthin 10 mg. twice daily/Ubiquinol 100 mg. twice daily (These 3 have allowed me to discontinue (approved by doctor) bp meds I was on. Calcium Citrate 500 mg. daily/Vitamin D3 2,400 iu daily/K2 (MK7) 100 mcg daily (osteopenia and fam. hist. of severe osteoporosis). Stress B Complex (1/2 dose)/Quercetin (for allergies/asthma)/Magnesium (400 mg. oral glycinate and about 50 mg. magnesium chloride spray oil a day, divided throughout day).

Tapered Zoloft about 6 wks. Totally off since the end of July (25-29, 2014). 3 wks. vertigo at end of taper, then 3-4 wks. OK, followed by withdrawal symptoms increasing in severity (nausea, gastric disturbances, loss of appetite, insomnia, restlessness, jitters, anxiety, agitation--jumping out of my skin--possible akathisia?) Seem to have paradoxical reactions to everything new, even Vitamin C. Severity of akathisia comes and goes, but is constant to some degree. Hard to leave house, and cannot be home alone. (Retired)

Thank you so much for sharing, need it like water! ☺️

2005-2009, Lexapro 10 - 20 mg, CT WD w/severe depression and anxiety:  2010-2015, Paxil, 30 - 40 mg, tapered off at 10 mg/week, moderate anxiety and depression:  2010-2015, Clonozapam 0.25 mg, as needed for anxiety and sleep:  1/10/2015, Zoloft 25 mg, tried to increase to 50 and 75, but nausea and dizziness:  2/13/2015, Paxil 5 mg, added back after 2 weeks at zero to reduce WD:  2/28/2015, Paxil 10 mg, increased from 5 mg to reduce WD, HOLDING:  3/04/2015, Zoloft discontinued (reduced to ~12.5 mg on 2/19, ~6.25 mg on 2/26, then zero):  4/26/2015, Paxil starting 10% taper (no scale so was inadvertently at 20% taper, yikes!):  4/30/2015, Paxil 10 mg, reinstated (WD disappeared between August 2015 and May 2016)

5/02/2016, Started 10% taper, reinstated to 10 mg on 5/11/16:  4/29/2017, Last dose of Paxil (working with holistic psychiatrist, lots of supplements to aid WD):  Primary symptoms: apathy, demotivation, anhedonia, fatigue, stress intolerance, moderate social anxiety

7/1/2018 Finally feeling like myself again, success!!! Praise God! Even with the stress of relocating recently, I am feeling pretty good most of the time now. Granted, I eat healthy, I exercise, I don't drink caffeine or alcohol and I try hard find a healthy balance of quiet and social times. Hang in there and keep the faith, you can do it too!

Wow, that was a great post!

1/01/15 - .75 mg.

• Moderator Emeritus

I agree, even in the toughest time, there is a light going through that window!

Keep going my friends...

Thank you for sharing this post.

started on 10mg Sipralexa (Lexapro) in january 2010 for general anxiety disorder/panic attacks (possibly burn-out from studying).
stayed on it for 4,5 years.

started to reduce Lexapro with this "schedule" (and ignored doctor's advice to quit in 14 days):
- 10mg to 5mg on 16/07/2014 (no WD symptoms)
- after 8 weeks: 5mg to 2,5mg on 12/09/2014 (
1st week: heavy sweating at night; mood swings (angry), brainfog/derealization)

- after 7 weeks: 2,5mg to 2mg on 03/11/2014 (1st week: heavy sweating at night; from 2nd week on: mild brain zaps, eye floaters, mood swings)
- after 14 weeks: 2mg to 1,5mg on 14/02/2015 (
1st week: heavy sweating at night; from 2nd week on: shaking, trembling, severe anxiety attacks, loss of appetite, insomnia, very depressive feelings; from 3rd week on: shaking and trembling reduced, sometimes a "window" but anxiety always returns, very dark thoughts)

- updosed to 2mg on 07/03/2014

supplements: Metarelax (magnesium + Vit B ); Omega 3-fish oil; Sedinal drops in case of extreme anxiety;

acupuncture + CBT  

Thank you for sharing that post.  It is probably some of the most important information one can get for surviving WD.  I have pushed these concepts many times and they need to be told to every newbie and veteran on the board over and over again until they sink in.  I was just reading some threads by several members who I usually avoid because of the desperation that they constantly express.  If they could just relax and let it go, accept that they have been used and abused and that there is very little they can do about it, except wait it out.  In the short term things are going to be pretty miserable, but we see over and over again that they do eventually get better.  By wallowing in our misery all we do is delay recovery.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for sharing this post.

Sure, of course!

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for sharing that post.  It is probably some of the most important information one can get for surviving WD.  I have pushed these concepts many times and they need to be told to every newbie and veteran on the board over and over again until they sink in.  I was just reading some threads by several members who I usually avoid because of the desperation that they constantly express.  If they could just relax and let it go, accept that they have been used and abused and that there is very little they can do about it, except wait it out.  In the short term things are going to be pretty miserable, but we see over and over again that they do eventually get better.  By wallowing in our misery all we do is delay recovery.

I understand your point of view but you have to remember how it first felt when you got hit with w/d.  When I felt like a foreigner in my own mind/body, having been reminded everyday is what kept me going forward.  I kept sending PMs to the same people over and over on PP and they kept telling me to hang in there, it will pass.  And I would tell them that I may be that one person that would never recover.  And that I got x, y, and z symptom that freaked me out.

When the mind is at its most vulnerable state, like the first few months in the midst of w/d, a little statement or word, like "permanent" could send me to the depths of despair.  And sure enough, the sun was brighter, the music sounded oh so sweet, and the food was extra delicious. My sleep was back and the months of wd was nothing more than a memory.

Folks, you have all had that headache...you pop a pill and the next thing you know, no more headache.  But you cant recall when that headache actually left because you were busy doing whatever.  The only thing you have is a memory of it.  Well, that's how SSRI w/d is.  A slow, steady path to recovery and feeling "Your Normal".

Wow I love that post from Facebook I visit the Bloom of Wellness page everyday to get the positive reassurance of wd.

Celexa 20mg 2008-2012 for Social Anxiety

Failed attempt to stop reinstated

1 year taper skipping doses

Celexa free 12/2013

1/2014-5/2014 took 5 htp every other day

Failed Reinstatement 5mg of Celexa on 12/2014 for 5 days only

Aeroman,

As a fellow Lexapro withdrawalee, I have read your story before and you give me hope. If I may ask, when did your sex drive return? I'm in month 6 of being off and it's non-existent. I know this is a personal question so feel free to disregard.

I am a 30yr old male and I have no desire and I know my wife is wondering what's up.

Also, did you suffer from constant worry? This seems to be one of my main symptoms. I always seem to find something to worry or be anxious about. Even when I know it's silly. Thank you in advance!

How are you doing w/ your cipro WD?

Lexapro from October 2012-October 2014

10mg from Oct 2012-Feb 201320mg from Feb 2013-June 201310mg from July 2013-April 2014
Began taper via liquid Lexapro from April 2014-September 2014(Roughly 6 month taper)---0.00 on Oct 1 2014--WD began in December 2014

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reinstated to 10mg - 10mg Tablet October 15, 2015 - Stable by Mid-January, 2016

2016 - 9mg 3/26/16....8mg 5/11/16....7mg 7/05/16....6mg 8/26/16....5mg 10/31/16

2017 - 4mg 3/06/17....3mg 6/24/17....2mg 9/07/17...1.25mg 10/21/17....1mg 11/04/2017

2018 - 0.75mg 1/21/18....0.5mg 2/18/18....0.25mg 3/13/18....0.125mg 3/27/18....0.000 4/9/18

Supplements - 15B probiotic on and off. Usually helps w/ mood but sometimes is too activating.

• Moderator Emeritus

Aeroman,

As a fellow Lexapro withdrawalee, I have read your story before and you give me hope. If I may ask, when did your sex drive return? I'm in month 6 of being off and it's non-existent. I know this is a personal question so feel free to disregard.

I am a 30yr old male and I have no desire and I know my wife is wondering what's up.

Also, did you suffer from constant worry? This seems to be one of my main symptoms. I always seem to find something to worry or be anxious about. Even when I know it's silly. Thank you in advance!

Glad I am providing you with hope!  Returned around month 36-38ish.  Yep, I went through the same thing.  Wife thought I lost interest in her which was FARTHER from the truth.  

Yes, I suffered from constant worry from Month 4 to around Month 10ish.  It went away.  It takes TIME and ACCEPTANCE that this will all be but a memory in the near future.  You will become a stronger person for yourself and your wife.

Ah, I am still chugging through but having better days compared to December 2014.

Aeroman, I liked very much your above description of withdrawal and that you also needed reassurance over and over. Thank you for your kind words.

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

• Moderator Emeritus

Aeroman, I liked very much your above description of withdrawal and that you also needed reassurance over and over. Thank you for your kind words.

Yep, we could all use reassurance!! Wishing you all better days

Aeroman,

Glad I am providing you with hope! Returned around month 36-38ish. Yep, I went through the same thing. Wife thought I lost interest in her which was FARTHER from the truth.

Yes, I suffered from constant worry from Month 4 to around Month 10ish. It went away. It takes TIME and ACCEPTANCE that this will all be but a memory in the near future. You will become a stronger person for yourself and your wife.

Ah, I am still chugging through but having better days compared to December 2014.

Thanks, Aeroman! Month 6 has been a doozie so far. One step forward and two steps back. Hope you are doing well today.

Lexapro from October 2012-October 2014

10mg from Oct 2012-Feb 201320mg from Feb 2013-June 201310mg from July 2013-April 2014
Began taper via liquid Lexapro from April 2014-September 2014(Roughly 6 month taper)---0.00 on Oct 1 2014--WD began in December 2014

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reinstated to 10mg - 10mg Tablet October 15, 2015 - Stable by Mid-January, 2016

2016 - 9mg 3/26/16....8mg 5/11/16....7mg 7/05/16....6mg 8/26/16....5mg 10/31/16

2017 - 4mg 3/06/17....3mg 6/24/17....2mg 9/07/17...1.25mg 10/21/17....1mg 11/04/2017

2018 - 0.75mg 1/21/18....0.5mg 2/18/18....0.25mg 3/13/18....0.125mg 3/27/18....0.000 4/9/18

Supplements - 15B probiotic on and off. Usually helps w/ mood but sometimes is too activating.