SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ Aeroman: Hello From Aeroman!

Steerpike

• Moderator Emeritus

Aero, how is your flox recovery going? Have you seen improvements?

*I'm not a doctor and don't give medical advice, just personal experience
**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not
-Dual cold turkeys off TCA & Ativan in Oct 2014. Prescribed from 2011-2014

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Desipramine Jan 2014 - Oct. 29, 2014 (rapid taper/cold turkey)

-Lorazepam 1 mg per night during 2011
-Lorazepam 1 mg per month in 2012 (or less)

-Lorazepam on & off, Dec 2013 through Aug 2014. Didn't exceed 3x a week

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged
-7 years off: Huge improvements, incl. improved dystonia

• Moderator Emeritus

Aeroman,

As a fellow Lexapro withdrawalee, I have read your story before and you give me hope. If I may ask, when did your sex drive return? I'm in month 6 of being off and it's non-existent. I know this is a personal question so feel free to disregard.

I am a 30yr old male and I have no desire and I know my wife is wondering what's up.

Also, did you suffer from constant worry? This seems to be one of my main symptoms. I always seem to find something to worry or be anxious about. Even when I know it's silly. Thank you in advance!

How are you doing w/ your cipro WD?

Glad I am providing you with hope! Returned around month 36-38ish. Yep, I went through the same thing. Wife thought I lost interest in her which was FARTHER from the truth.

Yes, I suffered from constant worry from Month 4 to around Month 10ish. It went away. It takes TIME and ACCEPTANCE that this will all be but a memory in the near future. You will become a stronger person for yourself and your wife.

Ah, I am still chugging through but having better days compared to December 2014.

Thanks, Aeroman! Month 6 has been a doozie so far. One step forward and two steps back. Hope you are doing well today.

Yep!  That's how it goes!  Oh yes, those first initial months (Month 4+) are a doozie for sure!

Lexparo 10mg user for 2.5 years. Last dose was 2/27/2008 after a fast 1 month taper. Recovered around 2011. Had issues with depression, anxiety, akathasia, inner restlessness, vertigo, insomnia, loss of appetite, eye floaters just to name a few. Basically rode it out, employing the Dr. Claire Weekes method.

Took Cipro in July of 2014 and have been having set backs with nausea, vertigo, anxiety (racing thoughts), and depression the last half of 2014.

• Moderator Emeritus

Aero, how is your flox recovery going? Have you seen improvements?

Hi Wiggleit, 

Not recovered but I am better than December 2014, that's for sure.  I am reaching Month 8 tomorrow.  The folks from the Cipro Toxicity group on Facebook have been helpful.  Yes, I have seen improvements.  I am not getting hit with the racing thoughts as much like in Month 5 (Dec 2014).  Thanks for asking.

Lexparo 10mg user for 2.5 years. Last dose was 2/27/2008 after a fast 1 month taper. Recovered around 2011. Had issues with depression, anxiety, akathasia, inner restlessness, vertigo, insomnia, loss of appetite, eye floaters just to name a few. Basically rode it out, employing the Dr. Claire Weekes method.

Took Cipro in July of 2014 and have been having set backs with nausea, vertigo, anxiety (racing thoughts), and depression the last half of 2014.

• Moderator Emeritus

Still chugging through.  had some decent days last week but a setback on Saturday night/Sunday Morning with 2am adrenaline dumps.  They wouldn't let up so I just rode them through.  The day got better but I felt off with the lack of sleep.  I'll get through this! DAMN YOU CIPRO!!!!!!!

Aeroman, from what I have seen, the first year is the hardest, so you are getting there. I can't imagine going through WD and then getting hit with Cipro :(

Zoloft 100 mg. daily for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since Oct. 1994 / Synthroid 88 mcg. daily / Supplements: Neptune Krill Oil-1,000 mg. twice daily/Astaxanthin 10 mg. twice daily/Ubiquinol 100 mg. twice daily (These 3 have allowed me to discontinue (approved by doctor) bp meds I was on. Calcium Citrate 500 mg. daily/Vitamin D3 2,400 iu daily/K2 (MK7) 100 mcg daily (osteopenia and fam. hist. of severe osteoporosis). Stress B Complex (1/2 dose)/Quercetin (for allergies/asthma)/Magnesium (400 mg. oral glycinate and about 50 mg. magnesium chloride spray oil a day, divided throughout day).

Tapered Zoloft about 6 wks. Totally off since the end of July (25-29, 2014). 3 wks. vertigo at end of taper, then 3-4 wks. OK, followed by withdrawal symptoms increasing in severity (nausea, gastric disturbances, loss of appetite, insomnia, restlessness, jitters, anxiety, agitation--jumping out of my skin--possible akathisia?) Seem to have paradoxical reactions to everything new, even Vitamin C. Severity of akathisia comes and goes, but is constant to some degree. Hard to leave house, and cannot be home alone. (Retired)

• Moderator Emeritus

Aeroman, from what I have seen, the first year is the hardest, so you are getting there. I can't imagine going through WD and then getting hit with Cipro :(

Yes!  I heard the same thing...some get the delayed issues like me and feel a lot of relief around Month 12.

Oh, trust me...i told me wife, "Oh no...not this s___ again!"

When I got hit with that massive panic attack on Christmas Eve 2014, I knew this wasn't "normal", my usual little wave of anxiety.  the feeling was so profound and scary, I knew this was a new beast.  Life isn't fair.  It isnt fair.  But no reason to cry over spilled milk.  I call it another "mental vacation" to be cool to myself and just ride it out...and pray even more for relief.  

I have told people that WD messes with your sanity - Cipro questions it.

Yes. My daughter's anxiety came quite suddenly, out of the blue, 5 hours after the first pill. It was the second round she'd been given in 3 months, though. It also was not "panic attacks". It was 24/7 anxiety. We went to the e.r. at least 3 times that first week. She was put on hydrocodone, a beta blocker, and another thing or two, and was pretty much comatose that first week, when they should have known it was the Cipro. (Before it was done with, she was also put on buspar and atarax, but did not stay on any of it.) The things that did her the most good were mag. oil and tanning (Vitamin D). At 14 months, she stopped both and had a complete relapse. Within two days back on both, she turned back around. I honestly think when her current relapse started about a year ago, it was because she quit using the mag. oil again. She takes oral mag., but I think somehow it is not the same. I still haven't been able to convince her.

Zoloft 100 mg. daily for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since Oct. 1994 / Synthroid 88 mcg. daily / Supplements: Neptune Krill Oil-1,000 mg. twice daily/Astaxanthin 10 mg. twice daily/Ubiquinol 100 mg. twice daily (These 3 have allowed me to discontinue (approved by doctor) bp meds I was on. Calcium Citrate 500 mg. daily/Vitamin D3 2,400 iu daily/K2 (MK7) 100 mcg daily (osteopenia and fam. hist. of severe osteoporosis). Stress B Complex (1/2 dose)/Quercetin (for allergies/asthma)/Magnesium (400 mg. oral glycinate and about 50 mg. magnesium chloride spray oil a day, divided throughout day).

Tapered Zoloft about 6 wks. Totally off since the end of July (25-29, 2014). 3 wks. vertigo at end of taper, then 3-4 wks. OK, followed by withdrawal symptoms increasing in severity (nausea, gastric disturbances, loss of appetite, insomnia, restlessness, jitters, anxiety, agitation--jumping out of my skin--possible akathisia?) Seem to have paradoxical reactions to everything new, even Vitamin C. Severity of akathisia comes and goes, but is constant to some degree. Hard to leave house, and cannot be home alone. (Retired)

• Moderator Emeritus

yep, I understand.  I get both anxiety and panic attacks.  Panic attacks come once in a blue moon but the anxiety is the thing that lingers more.  Just this feeling of constant nervy, edgy

She still has anxiety some, but with this last relapse came the depression. Initially, though, her anxiety was so severe she couldn't even ride in a vehicle, much less drive.

• Moderator Emeritus

wow.  Yeah, from what I've read, the anxiety part tends to resolve 12-months, give or take.  4 more to go!!!!

Yay! Hope that proves true with you, Aeroman.

Aeroman! Omg I followed your recovery story for years on PP. When you had just recovered was when I was just cold turkeying---so thank you for not only your timing but your willingness to share your story!

How's the cipro thing going? Are you feeling better. I haven't taken a prescription of anything since September 2011. I'm too scared to! I may have thyroid problems as a result of WD and my dr may offer me a dessicated thyroid hormone however I'm terrified to take it because I don't want to ever experience what I experienced with Prozac WD ever again!!! Do you know if other meds cause mental/psychological symptoms? Have you used any other scripts besides cipro in your recovery period that didn't effect you?

I too found aeromans story very inspiring! Can anyone help me with the correct link to his original post for lexopro withdrawal?

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

• Moderator Emeritus

Well, the last few days I have been sinking into depression.  No rhyme or reason.  I know this feeling oh too well.  Just checking in with you all.

The anxiety was hitting me over the weekend and just been riding it through.

If I would have known, I would have never touched Cipro!

Totally know how you feel after going through all those with ssir then got hit with the most unexpected! As heart broken as it could be, nothing can be as bad as ssir, so hope you will see lights soon and get out of it completely. Two lessons are enough, can't believe any of the doctors in the potentially many dangerous pills!!!

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

• Moderator Emeritus

Totally know how you feel after going through all those with ssir then got hit with the most unexpected! As heart broken as it could be, nothing can be as bad as ssir, so hope you will see lights soon and get out of it completely. Two lessons are enough, can't believe any of the doctors in the potentially many dangerous pills!!!

Thanks LexAnger,

Yep...I even mentioned it to the doc that this stuff was making me ansy and he said "it shouldn't do that".  ugh.

Anyway, all I can do is chug it through and get as much sleep as I can.  Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

How are you doing, Aeromans?

I came across some stories from point of return about cripro, thinking you might be interest in.

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

Search for key word 'cipro' from the page

http://www.pointofreturn.com/testimonials.html

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

• Moderator Emeritus

How are you doing, Aeromans?

I came across some stories from point of return about cripro, thinking you might be interest in.

thanks for checking with me.  I was doing ok throughout the week but had a bad panic attack yesterday for no good reason.  I know this was Cipro induced.

Thanks, I'll look into it.

Still feel so hearth aches for you! Can't believe this crazy world of modern medicine!

It seems you are not the only one were hit by cripro.

Sending speedy healing to you!

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks LexAnger.  I just mentioned this to my wife over the weekend that this was not fair at all.  I told her I thought I was done with this s__t!!!!

I looked at that link and there were a couple of people that had issues too.  I am finding a lot of people on that Facebook Cipro Toxicity group complain about similar issues, like anxiety, insomnia, etc.  There are a few of them that got put on SSRIs and Benzos as they didnt know any better.  Of course, I told them about SSRI and Benzo withdrawal so at least they know, I hope.

It flat out isn't fair but there is no choice but to move forward.

After all tests came back normal, the first thing our doctor wanted to do was put our 16-year-old daughter on Prozac. (She was floxed in the E.R.). We declined. Almost 5 years out, with everything flared up again, our daughter keeps saying she needs AD's. Now that she has seen what I'm going through, she has changed her mind!

• Moderator Emeritus

After all tests came back normal, the first thing our doctor wanted to do was put our 16-year-old daughter on Prozac. (She was floxed in the E.R.). We declined. Almost 5 years out, with everything flared up again, our daughter keeps saying she needs AD's. Now that she has seen what I'm going through, she has changed her mind!

Yeah, they push SSRIs like candy, just like Cipro!

Very good she declined!  So, if I recall, she got floxed, did better as time went on, but got flared up again with anxiety stuff?

Good thing she didn't add SSRIs!

I have a friend from my PP days where he was going through SSRI w/d and was placed on Cipro for who knows what.  He experienced extended symptoms and he knew it was from Cipro.  Nightmare he said...

Yes, her first and foremost symptom initially was anxiety--then came more symptoms. After about 2.5 years, 90% better, and after another 18 months, got hit with all the symptoms she had before, plus joint and tendon issues and severe depression. Most of the floxies on all the boards seem to think AD's are the answer. (Hence the reason so many on here going through withdrawal are FQ aware!!)

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, her first and foremost symptom initially was anxiety--then came more symptoms. After about 2.5 years, 90% better, and after another 18 months, got hit with all the symptoms she had before, plus joint and tendon issues and severe depression. Most of the floxies on all the boards seem to think AD's are the answer. (Hence the reason so many on here going through withdrawal are FQ aware!!)

Got it.  What the heck!?  Why does the anxiety hit with an antibiotic?  I thought at most, my stomach would not like it for awhile.

The joint and tendon issues happened 3-4 years post FQ med?!  What joints are affecting her?  How is she doing now with that and the depression?

Yes, they do - they praise the whole SSRI thing and I just say what happened to me to give them a heads up.  I mean, I was there too...Lexapro made me feel like a total champ!  Until I got off it...and Month 4 came around....and BAM!!!!!!!!!!!

Knees, shoulders, back issues. She basically just hurts all over. She still is having extreme issues, and cannot work. She's been using some natural remedies for depression, but for the most part, it just barely takes the edge off. I'm not very hopeful of her recovering, honestly. At this point, she seems to be getting worse.

• Moderator Emeritus

wow, sorry to hear...hopefully she turns the corner soon!!!

There are more in the list and especially for us who have already been hit by ssir

http://www.benzosupport.org/quinolene_antibiotics.htm

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

Yes, I hope so too, Aeroman.

LexAnger, the true percentage of reaction to a FQ in someone who has not been through WD is 30-50%. Dr. Jay Cohen placed it at 30% years ago. The Quinolone Vigilance Foundation, who has done their own research (I don't know the details), places it around 50%. Remember the list also includes eye and ear drops, which are not commonly acknowledged as causing issues. In truth, they cause the same systemic reaction that oral FQ's do. My husband was floxed with FQ eyedrops during cataract surgery two years before our daughter took Cipro. We just didn't know what happened. Joint and tendon issues, severe IBS, two episodes of frozen shoulder, severe brain fog, anxiety, vision issues, etc. Now at 7 years out, most things are better--still has brain fog. I asked for and got another eyedrop, and I did not even have the flashes and floaters that are "normal" with cataract surgery. Care to guess what causes those?!

• Moderator Emeritus

How is this stuff still on the market?!

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

Songbird--$$$$$$ There are two black box warnings, but this info is not passed on to the patients. It's "supposed" to be for the doctors and pharmacists, but most of them don't seem to know about it either. In August, 2013, a "label change" warning was issued for "peripheral neuropathy, possibly permanent, with as little as one dose"--but guess what--it's not on the label. The powers that be will still claim the reaction occurs in 1% of the people who take it, but this is false. The true safety profile of this class of antibiotics has been hidden for years. Also, they were originally formulated as chemotherapy drugs.

luv2knit, may be a silly question, and sorry if you already answered but was she tested for lyme disease ?

on 37.5 - 50mg zoloft/sertraline for GAD from 3/1996 to 4/2013 (17 years) 

too fast taper from 1/13-4/13

No. No contact with ticks, and according to our doc, "we don't have Lyme's here". Some floxies have tested positive for Lyme's. My personal opinion is that floxing symptoms mimic many other illnesses, and that they don't really have these other illnesses. In the case of my daughter, her reaction began quite suddenly 5 hours after taking Cipro. Our doctor just wanted to send her to a psychiatrist and/or put her on Prozac, and we have been laughed at by just about every doctor in the area.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Almost 10 months since last dose of Cipro and seen improvements but not out of the woods yet.  Just had a bad panic attack in the middle of the night after a bad nightmare a couple of nights ago.  Mind would race and didnt want to stop.  Anyway, hopefully things get better soon!  Going through SSRI wd was bad enough but having to experience this s___ once again is a real kicker!

Glad to hear you are getting some improvement on this very unexpected hit! the whole thing just makes me very heart broken!

It got to be much easier than the SSIRs

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

I'm so sorry, Aeroman. I hope this improves for you soon. I can't imagine having to go through both. Comparing my daughter's experience with Cipro and my SSRI withdrawal, it seems to me that there are many similarities. She did not have the akathisia, but from what I've read, FQ's can cause this as well.