SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

ikam: tapering escitalopram

ikam

When was the last time you took naratriptan?

Could you give me a list of every pill (including supplements) you have put in your mouth (including dosages) since you came to this board? I am going to run and post another DI check.

Naratriptan- 23rd December, I felt as if I was drunk...

Zolpidem- 24 and 25 December...

Scopolan-24 and 25 December...

I am still on 75mg Doxepin in evening (more than two years)

Atenolol, twice a day 25mg

Omeprasole 20mg in the morning (i used to be on pantoprasole, changed on 23rd december)

Ranitidine, 150mg in evening

HRT/low dose: Utrogestan, 100mg and Sandrena 1.0 gel (in evening, over one year now)

Aconitum 30c in the morning, and if needed, but not a lot, maybe twice a day

Passionflower in the morning, 1 pill 425mg extract

Paracetamol on few occassions, including last night (i hoped it might help with paresthesia)

I have not taken naratriptan neither sleeping pill since xmas. I destroyed them...

ikam, I am sorry you are going through a rough patch.

It seems to me that you had an adverse reaction from 10mg escilatopram, possibly because of a drug-drug interaction with doxepin, which in EXTREME cases, can lead to serotonin syndrome.

You have also intermittently been taking a triptan, which can react with other serotonergics to produce uncomfortable symptoms and in EXTREME cases, can lead to serotonin syndrome.

It's only my opinion, but your situation was never an EXTREME case of serotonin toxicity. At this point, it's time to stop ruminating about drugs you have taken in the past and concentrate on giving your nervous system stability now.

At 2.5mg escilatopram, it is unlikely you will suffer serotonin syndrome in combination with doxepin or triptans. However, because of the adverse reaction to escilatopram, you may feel drug side effects more intensely.

Recently, you also have been changing doses of other drugs here and there. You have also been having waves of symptoms that indicate your nervous system is not comfortable with the drug changes. No need to call them withdrawal symptoms or side effects -- your nervous system is not comfortable.

Our nervous systems do best when they are stable. If I were you, I would stop changing any of your drugs for at least 2 weeks. Stop reducing escilatopram. Let your nervous system settle down.

Stop taking the occasional drug here and there. Do not add new supplements. Stay in a calm environment as much as possible. If noise bothers you, stay quiet. If light bothers you, don't go out in bright light. Wear sunglasses. Keep lights indoors down.

Day 3/2.5mg

Hi again, I have been feeling extremely low today. It is the lowest since I started decresing. I am aware that this is a part of this process, but...Nobody likes to feel low...

It seems it has started from my conversation with my mother who was crying on a phone that she does not have money, does not take her meds as she does not have money, feels lonely, she may die in her flat and nobody will find her for long...To cut a long story short, my mother often uses me as a container for her feelings. I thought I did handle this well...but...woke up low...I cannot send her money, cannot go there to visit her...Anyway, when she is like this nothing helps, she needs more and more...I am feeling guilty again...My mother does not know about my problems...I have only one friend who knows and I talk here...

I woke up not wanting to be alive anymore. Not really suicidal, but tired...This was one of the reasons I started taking esitalopram. I felt so low and tired...

I am tired of my life and don't feel today like doing anything. At the same time I feel like a slave of my flat, but this is me who does not go out. And this is not like me. Since I moved to this town, I have problems with going out. I find outside very unfamiliar. Even people seem different, the way they act, talk...So I am finding to face this new reality this extremely difficult. At the same time keep watching builders outside in their machines and get feeling more trapped. I don't understand why instead of detaching myself I get over-tuned to any noises and very upset about them...This was another reason to take meds- as I wanted to cut off from the noises...

I had a bit more paresthesia in the morning and my fingers were painful, but it may have been my response to my yesterday's conversation with my mother. When I was talking with her I felt my hands becoming more tense. I guess this is because emotions affect blood flow and have impact on the nerves.

Then I had a bit of pelvic pain, which always gets me scared, as I was in pain day by day fir over one year. This was the time when I stopped controling meds with codeine. So when I feel any pain in this area I find it very distressing. I have started worrying that I will need to use painkillers again. How to live with no painkillers? I always tened to use painkillers, or medication for any health problem.

I am feeling low and all on my own...

Maybe my "honey moon" has ended?

Do you think your low mood and anxiety might have anything to do with your family and ex-husband? Perhaps you should think about this -- that your real-life experiences affect your mood -- and stop focusing on the drugs as cause for everything you feel.

The idea that drugs determine your feelings is what takes you back to the doctor over and over for new prescriptions. It's up to you to minimize your interest in and dependence on drugs to manage your thoughts and feelings.

My low mood at present relates mostly to being off work (i resigned, as I was expected to work against ethical values). I can relasy only on myself, so I have to get a job asap. I also live in a quite noisy envirnoment. Moved here half a year ago and I don't like the place...

Yes, my husband and my mother are other stressors...

And loneliness...

- 12.03.2021- doxepin- 50mg

- 6.11.2020- 75mg

- 16.10.2020- 100mg

- 30.09.2020- doxepin- 125mg

- May 2020, omeprazole 40mg switched to esomeprazole 20mg

- 2012 re-started Doxepin 75mg, evening. Increased to 150mg

- 2012, Atenolol 25mg, twice a day

- 2016, Low dose of HRT in evening, Sandrena and Utrogestan 

- Long term of Nasal spray Otrivine

- 2012, PPI Omeprazole 40mg-evening

24.10.2014- Started ESCITALOPRAM-first 5mg and then 10mg; due to the adverse symptoms reduced on 5.01.2015- Escitalopram- 2.5mg 22.07.2016- re-started reduction by 1% at a time. Completed tappering on  19.03.2020 😇

• Administrator

Well, stop trying to fix your personal difficulties with pills. They're making you sick.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

At the moment I am more concerned with paresthesia. I have had some sensations on my face as well, kind of tickle...

When I can expect it will go away? It has been 8th day on 2.5mg, and it seems to affect other parts of my body...

- 6.11.2020- 75mg

- 16.10.2020- 100mg

24.10.2014- Started ESCITALOPRAM-first 5mg and then 10mg; due to the adverse symptoms reduced on 5.01.2015- Escitalopram- 2.5mg 22.07.2016- re-started reduction by 1% at a time. Completed tappering on  19.03.2020 😇

• Administrator

Stop worrying about parasthesia, stay stable on your drugs, and help your body heal with gentle exercise such as walking, good food, minimal caffeine and sugar.

It may take several weeks for your system to stabilize on your drug combination.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Well, stop trying to fix your personal difficulties with pills. They're making you sick.

Yes...

- 6.11.2020- 75mg

- 16.10.2020- 100mg

Stop worrying about parasthesia, stay stable on your drugs, and help your body heal with gentle exercise such as walking, good food, minimal caffeine and sugar.

It may take several weeks for your system to stabilize on your drug combination.

It is such a strange symptom, but I will do my best to stop my panic over it...

I tend to read my thread when anxious, sometimes it helps...

Yesterday seemed like a pick time, my symptoms were worse, panic was worse...

Thank you for your support. I have a lot to think about...

I have no paresthesia at present, seems I have less of it when I sleep better...i slept 12 hours last night...dreamt vividly, good dreams...seemed as if sorting my life in them...

I need to be more proactive now, which will include attending job interviews, rather stressful...

But it will take my attention away from my symptoms...

- 6.11.2020- 75mg

- 16.10.2020- 100mg

I need to be more proactive now, which will include attending job interviews, rather stressful...

Distraction, in any form (I did a lot of computer games for the whole year I had protracted wd), is what is needed to get through a lot of wd. Symptoms seem to fade if you do not give a lot of energy to them. Look for a thread in Symptoms called "Changing the Channel".

It gets easier the more you do it. I have every faith that this will be a good learning experience for you.

I have an odd paresthesia myself, it just started a month or so ago. The top area of my right thigh, halfway to the knee, and only there, is off and on numb and then very painful, like your leg feels after it 'falls asleep' then 'wakes up' as the feeling comes back into it. The 'pins and needles' are excruciating (and I have a high pain tolerance), it has woken me from a sound sleep. I searched google for it and it may be from doing so much sitting, which I was doing this summer when I was in a bad way. I was nearly frozen to my chair. Too much compression on a nerve coming out of my groin or something. If that is the worst result of protracted wd that lingers (other than cannot lose weight) I'll consider myself lucky. Have not had it checked out by a doc because it is going away.

Some 'paresthisias', you just have to learn to live with until they pass.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

Distraction, in any form (I did a lot of computer games for the whole year I had protracted wd), is what is needed to get through a lot of wd. Symptoms seem to fade if you do not give a lot of energy to them. Look for a thread in Symptoms called "Changing the Channel".

It gets easier the more you do it. I have every faith that this will be a good learning experience for you.

I have an odd paresthesia myself, it just started a month or so ago. The top area of my right thigh, halfway to the knee, and only there, is off and on numb and then very painful, like your leg feels after it 'falls asleep' then 'wakes up' as the feeling comes back into it. The 'pins and needles' are excruciating (and I have a high pain tolerance), it has woken me from a sound sleep. I searched google for it and it may be from doing so much sitting, which I was doing this summer when I was in a bad way. I was nearly frozen to my chair. Too much compression on a nerve coming out of my groin or something. If that is the worst result of protracted wd that lingers (other than cannot lose weight) I'll consider myself lucky. Have not had it checked out by a doc because it is going away.

Some 'paresthisias', you just have to learn to live with until they pass.

Thank you for your support and thank you for sharing. I also have a high phisical pain tolerance. What I respond badly to are my own responses to the pain. I have problems in waiting patiently...just as my mother, she was always giving me pill, my father would prescribe antibiotics...

It is so difficult when the pain wakes you up, so I can emphatise with you...

I don't know about doc at your place, but here they are not too good...

But I still let them to treat me!

I wonder if I had protracted wd after effexor? I had so many unexplained pains...

Unfortunatelly, the pain was always a type of gate for me to start strong painkillers or tryciclic antydepressants...

I am much better today. Slept 12 hours...

Thank you again...

I still feel embarassed as I should have known better...

- 6.11.2020- 75mg

- 16.10.2020- 100mg

I think it must be related to serotonin level

That is not what is happening here and many people think that things have such a simplistic explanation for why they occur. "Serotonin" is not causing this, it is at once more complex and simpler than this and there are a multitude of reasons for the diarrhea. Let's see what the doc says.

Stopping one "E" and starting another "E" is not quite the answer, I don't think.

The doctors never helped me much with diarrhea, it seems that giving diagnosis of ibs is enough for them...

I don't really know how to deal with this. I have found some elimination diet, just ordered a book on it, called low fodmap diet...

It seems that I always have had a good intuition, as I avoid lot of food...

I wonder if xylitol instead of sugar is a good substitute?

What is "E"?

- 6.11.2020- 75mg

- 16.10.2020- 100mg

First of your E's was effexor, the 2nd was escitalopram. I hate typing...... my fingers are clumsy.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

When was the last time you took naratriptan?

Could you give me a list of every pill (including supplements) you have put in your mouth (including dosages) since you came to this board? I am going to run and post another DI check.

Naratriptan- 23rd December, I felt as if I was drunk...

Zolpidem- 24 and 25 December...

Scopolan-24 and 25 December...

I am still on 75mg Doxepin in evening (more than two years)

Atenolol, twice a day 25mg

Omeprasole 20mg in the morning (i used to be on pantoprasole, changed on 23rd december)

Ranitidine, 150mg in evening

HRT/low dose: Utrogestan, 100mg and Sandrena 1.0 gel (in evening, over one year now)

Aconitum 30c in the morning, and if needed, but not a lot, maybe twice a day

Passionflower in the morning, 1 pill 425mg extract

Paracetamol on few occassions, including last night (i hoped it might help with paresthesia)

I have not taken naratriptan neither sleeping pill since xmas. I destroyed them...

ikam, I am sorry you are going through a rough patch.

It seems to me that you had an adverse reaction from 10mg escilatopram, possibly because of a drug-drug interaction with doxepin, which in EXTREME cases, can lead to serotonin syndrome.

You have also intermittently been taking a triptan, which can react with other serotonergics to produce uncomfortable symptoms and in EXTREME cases, can lead to serotonin syndrome.

It's only my opinion, but your situation was never an EXTREME case of serotonin toxicity. At this point, it's time to stop ruminating about drugs you have taken in the past and concentrate on giving your nervous system stability now.

At 2.5mg escilatopram, it is unlikely you will suffer serotonin syndrome in combination with doxepin or triptans. However, because of the adverse reaction to escilatopram, you may feel drug side effects more intensely.

Recently, you also have been changing doses of other drugs here and there. You have also been having waves of symptoms that indicate your nervous system is not comfortable with the drug changes. No need to call them withdrawal symptoms or side effects -- your nervous system is not comfortable.

Our nervous systems do best when they are stable. If I were you, I would stop changing any of your drugs for at least 2 weeks. Stop reducing escilatopram. Let your nervous system settle down.

Stop taking the occasional drug here and there. Do not add new supplements. Stay in a calm environment as much as possible. If noise bothers you, stay quiet. If light bothers you, don't go out in bright light. Wear sunglasses. Keep lights indoors down.

Day 3/2.5mg

Hi again, I have been feeling extremely low today. It is the lowest since I started decresing. I am aware that this is a part of this process, but...Nobody likes to feel low...

It seems it has started from my conversation with my mother who was crying on a phone that she does not have money, does not take her meds as she does not have money, feels lonely, she may die in her flat and nobody will find her for long...To cut a long story short, my mother often uses me as a container for her feelings. I thought I did handle this well...but...woke up low...I cannot send her money, cannot go there to visit her...Anyway, when she is like this nothing helps, she needs more and more...I am feeling guilty again...My mother does not know about my problems...I have only one friend who knows and I talk here...

I woke up not wanting to be alive anymore. Not really suicidal, but tired...This was one of the reasons I started taking esitalopram. I felt so low and tired...

I am tired of my life and don't feel today like doing anything. At the same time I feel like a slave of my flat, but this is me who does not go out. And this is not like me. Since I moved to this town, I have problems with going out. I find outside very unfamiliar. Even people seem different, the way they act, talk...So I am finding to face this new reality this extremely difficult. At the same time keep watching builders outside in their machines and get feeling more trapped. I don't understand why instead of detaching myself I get over-tuned to any noises and very upset about them...This was another reason to take meds- as I wanted to cut off from the noises...

I had a bit more paresthesia in the morning and my fingers were painful, but it may have been my response to my yesterday's conversation with my mother. When I was talking with her I felt my hands becoming more tense. I guess this is because emotions affect blood flow and have impact on the nerves.

Then I had a bit of pelvic pain, which always gets me scared, as I was in pain day by day fir over one year. This was the time when I stopped controling meds with codeine. So when I feel any pain in this area I find it very distressing. I have started worrying that I will need to use painkillers again. How to live with no painkillers? I always tened to use painkillers, or medication for any health problem.

I am feeling low and all on my own...

Maybe my "honey moon" has ended?

Do you think your low mood and anxiety might have anything to do with your family and ex-husband? Perhaps you should think about this -- that your real-life experiences affect your mood -- and stop focusing on the drugs as cause for everything you feel.

The idea that drugs determine your feelings is what takes you back to the doctor over and over for new prescriptions. It's up to you to minimize your interest in and dependence on drugs to manage your thoughts and feelings.

I have been better today. I want to heal, recover...it seems as if I have a map for my journey, but it is me who needs to get out...

I agree, stabilisation is the most essential task for now...

It has been only 18 days since my visit at emergency...only 18 days since last sleeping pill, only three weeks since last triptan...

I agree, my case was never serious, but had I stayed on that path, I could have been much worse...

I only stopped there becuase after the emergency visit, I was so terrified I would die, I kept myself purpously awake...i realised that something was not right...

This was the time I found this site, and I am ever so grateful for everybodys support. It helps me to review my life and take pro-healthy decions...

I also know that I can talk again...

So, I have my map...the journey depends on me...

THANK YOU :)

- 6.11.2020- 75mg

- 16.10.2020- 100mg

First of your E's was effexor, the 2nd was escitalopram. I hate typing...... my fingers are clumsy.

Ok, thanks...

When I type, my hands are getting worse. Maybe I need to get back to the normal keyboard?

- 6.11.2020- 75mg

- 16.10.2020- 100mg

I wrote a post under suicidal ideation thread (11.01.2015). I would like to keep it under my thread. I hope it is ok to make a copy of this here:

I wake up with suicidal thoughts again, some of them turn into vivid visualisations. I think in WD everything just gets stronger, sharper...

I have had suicidal thoughts since I was around 14 years old. I was not on medication that time, but my family was rather disfunctional. I was depressed there and then, but still coping. My sucidal thoughts were something like "coping", as I kept thinking that if things would get worse...

I saw my father few times trying to kill himself...

When I was 23 years old I was hospitalised as I was considered as highly suicidal (was I really?). And this was the time when I was put on medication, first doxepin, then haloperidol, then some antipsychotic medication.

A friend told me to get out of hospital to live with her...thankfully, I was not offered insulin treatment (one of the older methods)...

My suicidal thoughts have been with me all my life...

I have had them now, very vivid pictures. I am tired of my life, but do I want to die? I told myself that "if things will get worse"...I am so unsure how this WD will go? Will I get any, more unmanageable symptoms? Will I be able to start working soon (i must!)...

For me, suicidal thoughts and urges are sign that I feel enraged at something I feel powerless about. I am powerless about what has happened to me since I was put on meds and earlier. I feel angry with people who did not offer me enough information, who kept promissing that I will get better, who put me on double antidepressant and did not give any information about drug interactions, etc.

As I cannot get angry with them, I turn it against myself and it comes out as suicidal thoughts, vivid pictures...

I don't know if what I wrote makes sense...

Somebody told me about the concept of retroflection, when the energy cannot be discharged outside it turns inside. Sometimes it may be some phisical illness, other times, suicidal ideation...

These are "just" thoughts, with no acting on them. On the contrary, my recent actions show that I want to stay alive...

As I said previously, I have a map, I am only unsure if I manage...

- 6.11.2020- 75mg

- 16.10.2020- 100mg

Just sayin Hi Ikam.   Following and listening to you :)

Put on Prothiaden for severe depression in 1989.  Recovered.   Prescribed Paxil for another bout of depression around 2000.   Have been trying to taper ever since but always crash about 2 months after getting to zero.   Because of the crashes, for years I thought that there was something wrong with me.   Then found that the crashes were simply withdrawal.   Now following a maximum of a 10% reduction every month or so and ready to slow down any time I feel any symptoms whatsoever.  Feeling good:).

7th Jan 15 - 3.6mg

28th Jan 15 - 3.2mg

Thank you. And "hi" back to you...

It has been a better day for me today...

- 6.11.2020- 75mg

- 16.10.2020- 100mg

Your thread is your own personal journal and you may post in it anything you want, including copies of posts from other threads.

Good news: I had a phone job interview today and I have a job, three days a week, perfect! Starting February, for three months...

The only downside is that it will be two hours journey...

The interview went well. Only afterwards started shaking and got a bit of paresthesia. But I do recognise now when it is likely for paresthesia to occur- in any more emotional situations, when I am tired...

After the interview I was also more tired that I would normally be...

It was worth. And I need to get back to normal stresses of ordinary life...i have been off work for almost two months...

- 6.11.2020- 75mg

- 16.10.2020- 100mg

That is excellent Ikam!   The two hour journey - is that 2 hours twice a day?   Or 1 hour twice a day?   Train?  Bus?  Car?   I travel a couple of hours each day and I while I do, I practise some breathing techniques that are really really helpful.   So the time isn't wasted - I use it to help me feel better. :)

Put on Prothiaden for severe depression in 1989.  Recovered.   Prescribed Paxil for another bout of depression around 2000.   Have been trying to taper ever since but always crash about 2 months after getting to zero.   Because of the crashes, for years I thought that there was something wrong with me.   Then found that the crashes were simply withdrawal.   Now following a maximum of a 10% reduction every month or so and ready to slow down any time I feel any symptoms whatsoever.  Feeling good:).

7th Jan 15 - 3.6mg

28th Jan 15 - 3.2mg

Just read you thread ikam. I am very sorry you went through all the suffering. I can relate almost everything you had plus lots more for much longer time. I had a very severe adverse reaction to the lex dose increase from 2.7 to 4.5 and have been suffering most severe pins and needles everyday for over a year. Lex is infamous about this side effect. I can't take any pain killer as it interacts with lex and triggers severe headache every time which only increasing lex can stop.

I hope your fast taper works for you with no long lasting WD. You have been on lex very short and high dose of it only for two weeks, that is the hope.

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

Hi Ikam,

I have just been reading through / catching up on your thread. I think that one thing that could be causing you a lot of difficulties is the activated charcoal that you are taking. Are you still taking charcoal 3 times a day?

Charcoal absorbs toxins and prevents them from being absorbed into the body including medications. It is so effective at removing / deactivating toxins / medications that it can be used to treat overdoses.

Whenever you take charcoal, you are effectively going cold turkey as it deactivates your medication, which may explain a lot of your symptoms / side effects as you have been taking charcoal for a year. Did any changes coincide with you starting charcoal?

Please stop taking it and hopefully you will notice improvement. At the very least, it won't do any harm to stop taking it. Manage your IBS with loperimide (Imodium) and diet in the meantime (try to avoid artificial sugar substitutes too, as these are very toxic to the body, especially a sensitized system). .

Well done on your job! This is great news. Good for you!!! :)

Take care.

Tilly x

1999 - 2004 Paroxetine 20mg  -> 2004 - 2007 Citalopram 20mg -> 2007 -  short term Trazedone use (insomnia) -> 2007 - 2009 Fluoxetine 20mg  ->

2009 - Jan 2012 Citalopram 20mg  (Spring / Summer 2012 protracted withdrawal & related agoraphobia) -> 2012 - September Restarted Citalopram - unbearable start up effects. Discontinued in under 1 week -> Oct 12 -   October 2014 Escitalopram - 10mg prescribed. Started on 5mg and worked up to 10mg in 2.5mg increments  -> Oct 2014  - 5mg; 30/03/15 2.5mg; 15/04/15 3.5mg; 20/05/15 2.9mg;  19/09/15 2.8mg; 30/10/15 2.7mg; 13/11/15 2.6mg. Holding until March.

Diet:  mostly pescatarianl & lots of veg. Weekly offal for b vitamins.  Turmeric, nigella seeds, avocados, apple cider vinegar, coconut products daily. Lots of fluids: water, lemon juice, coconut water, herbal & green tea (decaffeinated).

Supplements: vitamin C 4000mg, Omega 3 fish oil - high DPA & EHA, vitamin E 400iu, vitamin D3 5000mg (Winter only - from sun in Spring / Summer), probiotics.

Current Symptoms: chronic fatigue, erratic sleep, extreme photophobia, eye floaters, noise sensitivity, tinnitus, cognitive & speech difficulties, dizziness, irregular gait, poor co ordination, severe facial and upper body muscle tension, head and neck pressure.

Coping Strategies: good nutrition, cooking, gardening & growing my own food, cycling, dancing, yoga, photography, sewing & creative pursuits, self massage, pampering, meditation, journalling, nature, cuddling cats & humans, laughter & humour, gratitude, self care, aromatherapy, audio books, word games & believing in myself, my potential and my future.

"Everything I need is within me" - Shakti Gawain

That is excellent Ikam!   The two hour journey - is that 2 hours twice a day?   Or 1 hour twice a day?   Train?  Bus?  Car?   I travel a couple of hours each day and I while I do, I practise some breathing techniques that are really really helpful.   So the time isn't wasted - I use it to help me feel better. :)

It is over 60miles one way. I have not decided yet if I will travel by car or public transport.

I know I will manage, as I did in the past...

Only I get quicker tired...i was exhausted yesterday and paresthesia today was worse...

I will need to find some journey related strategies...

- 6.11.2020- 75mg

- 16.10.2020- 100mg

Thanks for catching the info on charcoal, Tilly, but please be cautious about recommending other drugs. The doctor just might hand out a script for loperamide (Immodium) on request and here's what the drug interactions checker says:

interaction-2-big.png doxepin ↔ loperamide

Applies to: doxepin, loperamide

Using loperamide together with doxepin may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Doxepin may also increase the effects of loperamide on your intestines. Contact your doctor if you experience abdominal cramping or bloating during treatment with these medications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Hi Ikam,

I have just been reading through / catching up on your thread. I think that one thing that could be causing you a lot of difficulties is the activated charcoal that you are taking. Are you still taking charcoal 3 times a day?

Charcoal absorbs toxins and prevents them from being absorbed into the body including medications. It is so effective at removing / deactivating toxins / medications that it can be used to treat overdoses.

Whenever you take charcoal, you are effectively going cold turkey as it deactivates your medication, which may explain a lot of your symptoms / side effects as you have been taking charcoal for a year. Did any changes coincide with you starting charcoal?

Please stop taking it and hopefully you will notice improvement. At the very least, it won't do any harm to stop taking it. Manage your IBS with loperimide (Imodium) and diet in the meantime (try to avoid artificial sugar substitutes too, as these are very toxic to the body, especially a sensitized system). .

Well done on your job! This is great news. Good for you!!! :)

Take care.

Tilly x

Thank you Tilly. I will stop charcoal and see if it will bring any changes. I have started it as I did not want to use any other medication. I thought it was safer option. I take it at different time than my meds...

I don't really know how to manage this diarrhea. It started when I stopped effexor and nothing helps...i have changed my diet...i use xylitol instead of sugar...i try to eat organic food, when possible...i eat normal butter, honey, lots of rice...

The only time it improved was recently, when on higher dose of lexapro, but I am getting it back...

I cannot take probiotics, magnesium, slippery elm, etc.

There was time I was put on pancreatic enzymes. Hopefully had enough money and went to naturopath and she suggested mant different supplements for leaky gut syndrome...

I don't take any supplement neither vitamins now.

I guess, that actually charcoal helped me, as it possibly minimised the toxicity of meds I took the week I went to emergency.

I have realised today that I was tryining to manage escitaploram side effects with other meds. The psychiatrist told me to continue, but I should have stopped it the day I had adverse response...

I hope I make some sense in my writing. As it is more emotional writing, I am aware I make mistakes...

Have a good day :)

- 6.11.2020- 75mg

- 16.10.2020- 100mg

Thanks for catching the info on charcoal, Tilly, but please be cautious about recommending other drugs. The doctor just might hand out a script for loperamide (Immodium) on request and here's what the drug interactions checker says:

interaction-2-big.png

doxepin ↔ loperamide

Applies to: doxepin, loperamide

Using loperamide together with doxepin may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Doxepin may also increase the effects of loperamide on your intestines. Contact your doctor if you experience abdominal cramping or bloating during treatment with these medications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Oh, I did not know that. I was taking loperamide and it was prescribed by a doctor. So charcoal may be a safer option, but taken at different time than meds?

I also have some probiotics, saccharomyces bouldardii.

I don't really know what I can do...

- 6.11.2020- 75mg

- 16.10.2020- 100mg

See this and this for suggestions on what foods to eat and what foods to avoid when you have diarrhea. At the second link, see if he has anything to say about a diet for IBS and report it here in your thread, ok?

And instead of risking problems with your meds by adding charcoal or another course of loperamide, try the diet stuff first.

Emotions can have various effects on gut functioning too. Always good to try 'non pill' options first.

Just read you thread ikam. I am very sorry you went through all the suffering. I can relate almost everything you had plus lots more for much longer time. I had a very severe adverse reaction to the lex dose increase from 2.7 to 4.5 and have been suffering most severe pins and needles everyday for over a year. Lex is infamous about this side effect. I can't take any pain killer as it interacts with lex and triggers severe headache every time which only increasing lex can stop.

I hope your fast taper works for you with no long lasting WD. You have been on lex very short and high dose of it only for two weeks, that is the hope.

Thank you. When I asked psychiatrist for this side effect she said it was unusual and told me to continue. She does not know I am tappering it down, as I will need prescription from her...

Yesterday, as it was quite emotional day, the pin and needles were worse and for first time I had them in my leg.

It is also strange that when I sit I get numb very qucikly...

Additionally, today morning when still in bed I had some strange muscle twitches, not a lot, but it made me worried.

I would not like to have any different problems, e.g. akathisia, or some disability...

So it looks that you also had an adverse response when increasing the dose? Sorry to hear this. How do you manage with pins and needles? What helps?

If anybody could tell me what is the likehood of developing akathisia?

Why do I get these muscle twitches?

- 6.11.2020- 75mg

- 16.10.2020- 100mg

Not sure why the muscle twitches happen but I get them as well.  I have burning and numbness too.  It really sucks.  I feel for you.

2002-put on amitryptiline for fibromyalgia. 10mg.2004-stopped abruptly. Didn't think it helped.2006 approx.-put on Paxil for mild anxiety 20 mg.2007 upped to 40 mg. not sure why.2011- tapered from 40 to 10. went nuts and went back to 20mg2014- tapered from 20mg to 0 from April to The end of June.current meds- Metformin(type 2 diabetic) and low dose aspirin.Take multi vitamin and vit b12, vit. D and magnesium. 5 months off Paxil. Still suffering.recently added 1.2mg of Paxil to alleviate withdrawals.(Nov 30)Dropped to .9mg because having symptoms from reinstatement.(dec 23)<p>taper to .76mg-.8mg (Feb 3) approx. weight .010 to about .008-.009 on scale.
.6mg (march 19th.) .5mg(April 19th)
.4mg(April 27th)
.2 (June 27th)

0mg.  done taper at beginning of August.

Emotions can have various effects on gut functioning too. Always good to try 'non pill' options first.

Yes, I did no pill option before. And I was not taking anything for few days at present. It is getting worse...

Emotions play the main role in it, I know, yesterday was worse...

There is a very strong link between the emotions and the gut...

Aparently, a lot of psychosomatic problems have a lot to do with un-expressed anger...

- 6.11.2020- 75mg

- 16.10.2020- 100mg

Not sure why the muscle twitches happen but I get them as well.  I have burning and numbness too.  It really sucks.  I feel for you.

Sorry to hear this...

It seems that most of my symptoms happen in the morning, sometime after 6am...

Do you also get painful joints? My fingers, the ones I get pareasthesia, they are very painful in the morning. I guess, it feels like arthritis.

I don't want to do any blood assessments at present, as I think my results would not be so accurate...

This pain in my fingers has started in the beginning of treatment, I tended to get it only in the middle finger...

I am beginning to feel really angry with the way we are treated, medicated. Nobody thinks about consequences...and more and more often children are given antidepressants...

- 6.11.2020- 75mg

- 16.10.2020- 100mg

I agree and I am angry as well.  My doc refuses to believe the meds did this to me.  I get pain in my knees and back and neck and legs and arms.  It sucks and the pain rotates.  Sometimes only my legs and other times only back or arms.  In a wave I sometimes have everything hurting and twitching and burning.  Then I don't even leave the house.  Mine doesn't seem to follow a time line.  It comes and goes at random.  Never know what I am going to get and it exhausts me.

2002-put on amitryptiline for fibromyalgia. 10mg.2004-stopped abruptly. Didn't think it helped.2006 approx.-put on Paxil for mild anxiety 20 mg.2007 upped to 40 mg. not sure why.2011- tapered from 40 to 10. went nuts and went back to 20mg2014- tapered from 20mg to 0 from April to The end of June.current meds- Metformin(type 2 diabetic) and low dose aspirin.Take multi vitamin and vit b12, vit. D and magnesium. 5 months off Paxil. Still suffering.recently added 1.2mg of Paxil to alleviate withdrawals.(Nov 30)Dropped to .9mg because having symptoms from reinstatement.(dec 23)<p>taper to .76mg-.8mg (Feb 3) approx. weight .010 to about .008-.009 on scale.
.6mg (march 19th.) .5mg(April 19th)
.4mg(April 27th)
.2 (June 27th)

0mg.  done taper at beginning of August.

Yes, this is exactly how it is with me, random and rotating through my body.

After effexor, I had stabbing pain in my knee for over half a year, always at night. I did mri, nothing there. Then I had pelvic pain, deep inside my rectum, for over one year, I had problems with sitting...phisiotherapy helped, I had trigger point therapy for almost one year.

I had many other rotating pains...I have more pains at present..

I know now that the phisical pain or/discomfort are gates for me to start painkillers. This was also the reason I started doxepin.

I did not know it was all related to wd....

I need to learn not to panic and stop cathastrophising...

- 6.11.2020- 75mg

- 16.10.2020- 100mg

Neuro emotions

I see now that a lot of my emotional states can be classified as neuro emotions. E.g. right now I am feeling quite increased anxiety, as the agency asked me for referee details. My heart is racing...oh...

I recognise, my response is inadequate to the stimuly...

I often wonder how it all relates to my childhood trauma (ongoing fight flight mode)...

I have been in therapy, I am much better, but still respond over-emotionally to many situations...

Of course, in wd, it is magnified...

I try, if possible just to observe this with no engagement...i know my body is in the state of over-arousal...

There are not many books on this topic. I only found it here, and suddenly all makes sense, gets more "normal"...

Is this possible to change deeply rooted childhood scripts? As it seems they change on the logical level, but the body still responds...

- 6.11.2020- 75mg

- 16.10.2020- 100mg

You can but it is difficult to do 'psychological work' in the throes of wd and while still on some meds. The neuro emotions you are finding out about are hard to distinguish and they cloud the issue, they seem so real and true. I found that some of the insights I thought I had gained during wd just did not stick till I was past some of the worst of the disordered thinking of 'neuros'.

I also found this, posted by Brandy, about charcoal:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7900-warning-about-juice-bars-and-cocktail-bars-yes-really-activated-charcoal/

Reading and thinking about all of this stuff is one of the more important things you can do. And then "Change the Channel" (look that one up).

I think I've heard that xylitol-too much of it-can cause diarrhea...

went on Prozac 1994-99,60mg.poopout ct  back on 2001-2002,prozac weekly 2002,not working,Effexor 75 mg.?2003-mar.2004 gaining weight 8wk. taper,wellbutrin 150 mg.mar. -may 2004 ctmedfree til july 2005 back to Prozac gaining weight again,back on wellbutrin jan.2006150-300 mg.bad constipation.also was taking aygestin(hormone)perimenopausal irregular bleeding.back on Prozac around sept,?2006,hysterectomy jan30.2007(adenomyosis)off&on Prozac til 2009,citalopram about 1 mo, April 2010 no effect,Effexor again may -mar, 2011.ct,Prozac aug,-dec, 2011 &sept-nov 2012,paroxetine oct,23 2013-may 4 2014 20 mgs.tapered 6 wks.-failed RI in Oct.2014-in protracted WD.started 10 mgs. Fluoxetine May 25 2021 .Stopped fluoxetine May 2022 at 5 mgs.

Despite of worrying and unpleasant symptoms I have a feeling of freedom and kind of brightness...

I dreamt about being able to fly again, just opened my hands and waving wiith them I was able to fly over some type of sea, rocky mountains...

Also today I danced at home for a first time since I think november...

I go to so calle "Five rhytms classes", this is an amazing experience of going from stillness, through chaos to deep relaxation...

- 6.11.2020- 75mg

- 16.10.2020- 100mg