LauraBaby: Lamotrigine and paroxetine , no improvement after 1.5 years

LauraBaby

Hello

I have been on Lamotrigine 100mg and paroxetine 30 mg since summer 2013. I think the medication is hurting me, still depressed, no improvement after two years

Lower back pain, constipation.

I should start group analytic therapy soon and I want to stop medication.

I think lamotrigine will be hard as whenever I tried to lower down I felt awful.

I was extremely happy on Citalopram 10mg and Lamotrigine 25 mg in 2002-2004, now I think the dosage is too high and not helping.

I hate medication as my mom was bipolar and after 30 years of being medicated she committed suicide 25 years ago.

Thanks for any ideas how to start weaning off

Laura

First on medication in 2002 due to divorce and related stress/depression/ suicidal thoughts. I was on 10mg Citalopram and 25 mg lamotrigine, my first SSRI (indo not remember the name) made me a bit manic so I was switched to Citalopram+lamotrigine. aftervthree years the doc started to slowly taper me off, it took about a year.

Work related stress in 2010, GP offered antidepressants I refused. After a prolonged period of stress and frustration at work in 2013 ( I worked for NHS) I broke down and did not want to live. Put on paroxetine and lamotrigine, I had strong side effects that got slightly better with time. I feel exhausted, low, lots of lower back pain and pains all over body. I was not in pain before I was put on meds

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Laura and welcome to SA.

I'm glad you found us, we will be able to help you safely come off your medications, which is a good idea if they are not helping.  Why were you put on these drugs?

First, could I ask you to fill out your signature.  Putting a short version of your drug and tapering history in your signature helps people understand your context, it appears below each of your posts.  Here are instructions for how to do it:

http://survivinganti...your-signature/

We recommend only tapering one drug at a time and in your situation, I suggest starting with the paroxetine, for more information about this please see:

Taking multiple psych drugs? Taper the antidepressant first!

When it comes to tapering, we suggest reducing by no more than 10% of the current dose every 4 weeks, this reduces the risk of withdrawal symptoms arising.  Please read through this which will explain why:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?  (The general philosophy of gradual tapering)

Here is our topic with tips for tapering off paroxetine

Tips for tapering off Paxil (paroxetine)

You can use this thread as your ongoing journal to track progress and communicate with the community, add to it whenever you want, you will find a lot of friendly help and support here.

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes