nz11

New Zealand members, please check in here

Songbird

Really shocked to hear about Greg Boyed's suicide.  There's been mention of his struggle with depression - no mention of ADs, but I do wonder if any were involved.

neroli

Me, too @Songbird and I had similar thoughts if ADs were involved.  Very sad to hear this, he was a brilliant journo/presenter and apparently a good bloke to be around.

KarenB

NZ effexor / enlafax users might like to join this facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/194897591128692/about/

Also for anyone interested in news reporting about Pharmac. The creators of the page were interviewed today and were then the lead story on One News!

A Radio NZ reporter has contacted me through the page and is going to be calling me in the next few days. He wrote a good article today on RNZ. https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/365486/patients-wanting-special-funding-for-antidepressants-turned-down-by-pharmac

It's a good time to push - now that we're getting some coverage. 

Altostrata

!!!!! Well done, KarenB.

Ryder

Karen, that's really good. Go Kiwis. Watching on with interest👍

Songbird

They keep reporting Medsafe saying the generic drug is "safe" to take.  There's no mention of how different people respond differently to the same drug.  We had the same situation with Loxamine back in 2008.  It makes me wonder how they think suicidal thoughts doesn't count as an exceptional clinical circumstance.  What would it take to be classed as exceptional so you can qualify?

TaniaNZ

Fellow kiwi here from Christchurch.

I'm about to start tapering off this Enlafax stuff.. going to be harder than I had planned since the change from Effexor (thanks Pharmac) means no beads to count!

TaniaNZ
On 9/4/2018 at 9:48 PM, Songbird said:

They keep reporting Medsafe saying the generic drug is "safe" to take.  There's no mention of how different people respond differently to the same drug.  We had the same situation with Loxamine back in 2008.  It makes me wonder how they think suicidal thoughts doesn't count as an exceptional clinical circumstance.  What would it take to be classed as exceptional so you can qualify?

I noticed one article said that Pharmac stands by the 'research' that indicates Enlafax is safe. I wonder if anyone knows what 'research' they are referring to?

maree

Hi and thanks for letting me join this kiwi forum. I'm 55 yrs old and have been on paxil for 20 years, due to a breakdown back then from stuffing down the abusive childhood I had. Over the last 3 years I have been tapering off the paxil from 60mgs per day to 30 mgs per day. The tapering is going ok for now.

I don't work as I have CPTSD (Complex Post Traumatic Stress).

I attend online recovery groups for adults who have come from alcoholic and dysfunctional homes. I would love to hear from anyone who is in similar position as me with cptsd.  I have been very gratefull to the main site of SA for their advice and support...those folk are awesome volunteering theri time and knowledge and I would have been quite lost in how to taper without them.

I own my own home and I am looking for flatmate and wanted to know if it is ok to post the ad here? Does anyone know? I don't want to break any protocol guidelines or upset this wonderful site in any way. It would be lovely to have a kindred spirit who understands our SA stuff  as a flatmate :)

Altostrata

Hello, maree. Ordinarily, we don't permit advertising.

Potential flatmates may contact you via personal messages. They must be registered on this site, but remember everyone here is anonymous, so it is somewhat of a flyer with strangers, like Craigslist. I hope you find someone who is mutually supportive.

maree

Hi Altostrata. Thanks for letting me know and heas of really good vibes for allyour vlunteer work on this site :)   Maree

maree

p.s Is it within protocol of hhiss group to put out an invite to anyone living in my area to firstly contact me with the viewthat one day we could meet up at a coffe shop?  And if it is ok do I post such an invite on this thread?  thanks again :)

Songbird
2 hours ago, neroli said:

Great new initiative - support group for people coming off psych drugs in Auckland - https://www.themindtribe.org/ongoinggroups

May it bloom and grow!

Looks interesting, and it's just around the corner from my place.

neroli
18 hours ago, Songbird said:

Looks interesting, and it's just around the corner from my place.

That's great Songbird.  One of the women involved, it may be THE woman who has started this is on SA (I PM'd Mind Tribe). FB page: https://www.facebook.com/themindtribe/?eid=ARCZVMLLq7kn-8RdDBp_CWEHvXm-OyRm17NyHUxRmWoQDp6chAn2t1XEM9m_AgB6jWJ84xpTYy_6n_JP&fref=tag

I hope you can get there or it provides some great face-to-face support for you.

ittakesavillage

Hi NZ members!! My name is Rachel and I am over a year clean off of Effexor XR. Since then, I have been working with my brother, who is in the Mental Health sector, to support people on the same journey.

Check out our new Facebook group - 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/safetaperingnz/

This group is for people considering, in the process of or who have experience with psychiatric drug withdrawal.

The goal of this group is to create a hub of resources and discussion to support those who want to withdraw in a safe way.

We recognise that psychiatric drugs can be beneficial for some while harmful to others. Everyone's experience is valid. We will not tolerate any shaming or discounting of others' experiences.

If you are thinking about coming off your psych meds, we recommend you gather resources and support before starting the tapering process, and attend The Mind Tribe's weekly support group to talk with people who have lived experience. Please visit our website for a list of resources and education on how to taper.

www.themindtribe.org

Our support group is in Auckland and I will post more about it shortly but feel free to message me or reply to this post if you are interested. 

Lots of Love

neroli

Thanks @ittakesavillage all the best with it.  We need it here in NZ and I'm so appreciative of all of you who have started it up.