Mapleleafgirl: Successfully Tapered off Paxil

MapleleafGirl

i am not sure if i feel worse for the last bit is because i got my "AUNT FLOW" and if the hormones are playing some part in it as well...

Michele aka MapleLeafGirl

Paxil Free Since June 1st 2014

Was on Paxil for 8.5 years on and off from 2001

Did a 4 year successful taper off 20mgs of Paxil

My Successful Tapering Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7812-mapleleafgirl-successfully-tapered-off-paxil/

Tapering Schedule:

3rd attempt at withdrawal going slow..compounded pills
05/27/2010 - 03/12/12: Tapered From 20mgs - 6.2 (2nd year into Taper)
04/11/2012 - 6.0 - 3.4 - 05/05/2013 (Third year into Taper)
06/04/2013 - 3.2 - 1.0 - 05/31/2014 (Fouth and Final Year of Taper)

February 9th 2016 month 20 off paxil and four year taper..experiencing a horrible wave bad bad bad

May 2016 Made the decision to go back on an SSRI  - Currently on Escitalopram 10mgs but planning to taper at some point in the near future

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MapleleafGirl

• coldturkmama

• nz11

• apace41

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to read of this ongoing wave.

At 20 months off i also was still in bad shape....if thats any comfort.

Mind you i hadn't done a brilliant taper like you so i'm saddened that after an amazingly patient second to none tapering that this is occurring.

you are not on , not started, not altered, not stopped any other drug have you? Sorry just thought i would ask.

Hang in there.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

no...paxil was my only drug of choice so to say...no benzos..no other anti-depressant...i only ever took paxil...with the exception of when i FIRST went on it..back in the day...my doctor gave me xanax for the first 14 days to take along with it..until it kicked in....but that was years ago....

My Successful Tapering Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7812-mapleleafgirl-successfully-tapered-off-paxil/

Tapering Schedule:

February 9th 2016 month 20 off paxil and four year taper..experiencing a horrible wave bad bad bad

May 2016 Made the decision to go back on an SSRI  - Currently on Escitalopram 10mgs but planning to taper at some point in the near future

ok thanks for confirming that.

Well im sure this will pass.

We say patience wins the taper race but its equally applicable to the  post taper race too.

I think we all deserve patience medals.

It took me about 2 yrs to stop saying 'i want to die' and another 2 to stop saying 'im not going to make it.'

At 5.6 yrs drug free i've only now started playing my favourite sport again. 

The disabling brain fog continues to discover new receded levels.

My self talk has now changed to 'Where are my racquets.' 

Better days are yet to come.

nz11

Now...where are my racquets?

And where did i put that rust remover!

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

I am so sorry this is happening to you. It's so unfair. But, You WILL get better. Trust this thought.

Sending hugs.

Current dose: 0! Free!  Quit June 2017.

2017: Last dose zoloft: 17 June 0,00065 mg 18 May 0, 001 mg 14 May 0,002 mg 9 May 0,003 mg 28 April 0,006 mg 19 April 0,009 mg 8 April 0,013 mg 25 March 0,019 mg 22 March 0,039 mg 18 March 0,052 mg 16 March 0,079 mg 4 March 0,086 1 March 0,099 mg 22 February 0,11 mg 15 February 0,13 mg 6 February 0,145 mg 24 January 0,15 mg 19 January 0,19 mg 10 January 0,20 mg 3 January

2016: 0,98 to 0,22 mg; 2015: 2,35 to 1,01 mg; 2014: 4,9 to 2,5 mg; 2013: 9,1 to 5,1 mg; 2012: 15,7 to 9,7 mg; 2011: Started on 25 mg - then 50 mg- dropped to 25- to 12.5 mg - back to 25 mg - after 18.75 mg started tiny tapering to 16.6 mg

Started on 25 mg Zoloft in March 2011 due to stressrelated tinnitus that gave me panicattacks. Had a terrible reaction to Zoloft from start, but was told to "hold on". After four months I was stuck. Therefore the long taper. Crazy, I know... Super sensitive to drops and have dropped by 4-6 % from the previous dose.

I find hormones definitely make it worse....ughh silly bodies.

Paxil 20mg from 1998-2011 

Paxil 40mg from 2011-2012 while experiencing poopout

October 2013 quit cold turkey

Oct-mid Nov 2013 great window

Late November WD nightmare 

Windows and waves pattern 

Now: 28 months cold turkey...doing decent learning to deal with the windows/waves pattern fighting it every step of the way. 

• Administrator

Many women have more symptoms at stages in their menstrual cycles.

Do you think the friction with your husband might be a major part of this? You need to resolve that, I'm sorry to say.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Depression. Head stuff ... Feel hopeless... It's never going to end.. Weight Down to 97 lbs.. Can't really function... No appetite...so scared right now...I cannot go on like this for months..

Tapering Schedule:

I feel the exact same, just want it too end, sending healing your way. Ali

10 years citalopram 30mg- tapered down in December 15/2015- Jan 15/2016 to 20mg for two weeks, ten for one week and five for another week, then stopped, less then two weeks later, sheer hell broke lose with debilitating withdrawal symptoms.

Update-- reinstated 5mg of celexa on feb 5-- within hours noticed immediate difference in WD symptoms-- Holding holding and more holding.

Updose- March 23/16 too 10mg- relieved the harsher head symptoms- current symptoms headaches, dizzy, numbness and tingling in my head.

Benzos- 2015-Ativan on and off for 6 months 2mg- switched to clonazepam nov 2015- 2mg till Jan 2016 Zopiclone 7.5mg nov-dec 2015- was tapered off over 4weeks- Currently in protracted withdrawal. ????????????????????????????????

Update- ended up in the hospital April 18/16 major suicidal ( never had that before) was admitted/ been there ever since, put me back to full dose celexa 30mg no drugs added, IAM FINALLY STABLE AFTER 3 months of tortuous hell. Got a great physiatrist that new all about WD, he will help me taper properly in a couple of months at 5% deductions holding 8 weeks. I never want to relive that hell again.

Udate- stable and holding, doing things slowly is key.

MLG - I have just been in your shoes for well over a month. Totally lost my appetite and my weight dropped plus a load of other stuff....

What helped was changing my approach to the fear/terror - not letting it take over my mind.

I agree with Alto that you need to have a conversation or two with your hubby.

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

I am just so scared right now... My quality of life is almost non existent... I don't want to loose my life to this at all .. That is bringing on more fear...

Tapering Schedule:

I understand your fear 100% MLG, it's all consuming and you feel as though you will never be free of its grip.

When I returned to the UK (Feb) I fell into the worst hole ever and my physical and mental symptoms took over my mind and body.

I was terrified - see my Intro journey.

Only since last Fri, do I feel as though I am gradually crawling out the other side and into the sunlight again.

You will and you can get through this MLG - I am sending you a BIG hug :0)

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

• Moderator Emeritus

MLG,

I know you are in a tough place right now and are scared because it seemed to come at you out of the blue.  As I've told you, I think that what you are having is a final wave due to jumping off at 1mg and having some pieces of your healing that were not finalized when you jumped. I really believe that you will start to feel better in the near future and that this will all become a distant memory.  It is important for you, however, to develop the self-soothing skills that you need to go forward in your life without these or any other meds.  As hard as it is right now, you need to come up with those things that help, be they yoga, meditation, visualization, journaling, EFT, breathing exercises, walks in nature, exercise, coloring, painting, etc.  There will be something out there that resonates with you and gives you some level of peace even when you feel like crap. 

You can do this.  You just have to believe in you.

We all do.

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Mlg - are you afraid all the time? Not anxiety or panic, just sheer terror for no reason?

*Currently at 8.2-8.5 mg of my 10mg pill of Paxil (they actually weigh 12.5mg) 

january 2023 I began reducing my med again. I was a 9mg weight for years, I went to 8.9 in January, went to 8.6mg in February, and in March 2023 I went down to 8.5-8.2 mg ( my scale varies, so I stick within that .3 range because of that) 

*No other supplements or vitamins 

*Taper schedule in the pdf 

Blank.pdf

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-5vShtJtwAOGA30OxIP87steLmMdFzD29F0fzAPD564

I have those too....

Tapering Schedule:

Michelle ,

I am so sorry you are still going through this. I think I mentioned this earlier but in light of you not getting any relief and my medical background I encourage you to see a doctor. A gynecologist or an DO or someone like that and rule out anything else that might be going on. If all is normal then it is for sure WD and will pass I am sure. But if it is something metabolic, endrocine, or a CNS issue, etc then it won't get better on its own. Of course if they even mention an antidepressant you can tell them up front how you feel about them.

I keep praying you will feel better soon and encourage you to stay strong one minute at a time.

40 years old and have been on 20 mg of Paxil for the last 19 years. Multiple unsuccessful attempts to quit over the years.01/2015 Was tapering using liquid Paxil. MD has prescribed 1 ml = 2mg taper every two weeks or once withdrawal symptoms at that dose subside. Reduced from 20 to 10 mg using this method and at 10 mg severe withdrawal set in. 1.5 months of pure hell. Found SA, learned what was happening, and reinstated to 20 mg. After a month of severe symptoms recovered with the reinstatement. Fish oil - Multi Vitamin - Pro-biotic, amino-acid/B Vitamin supplement every day. Magnesium as needed.08/09/15 - 18 mg - 09/08/15 - 16.4 mg - 10/10/15 - 15 mg - 01/02/16 - 13.6 mg 02/15/16 - 12.0 mg - Bad symptom flare up 40 days into drop - Dizziness, panic/anxiety, overheating (esp at night), low appetite, headache, insomnia with bizarre dreams, internal shaking. 04/16/16 - 11mg - 7/17/16 - 10 mg holding.....

For 20 months I had a normal life... Now I am living in hell... Vision stuff... Plugged ears... Head pressure... Anxiety.. Depression.. Poor sleep... No appetite... Will this go on now for years???

Tapering Schedule:

I am sooo sorry MLG....

I had a virus (24hr flu type thing) and now after months of no head pressure, it's back and soooo bad. Praying it goes fast.

Now: 28 months cold turkey...doing decent learning to deal with the windows/waves pattern fighting it every step of the way. 

Sorry to hear MLG. You will get there though. This is just a hiccup on the road to full recovery. A big, nasty hiccup but you'll look back on this and feel AMAZING! At what dose did you come off?

Started Citalopram in 2005 (aged 15) for apparent "OCD" - 60mg 

July 2015 attempted 2 x 10% + cuts 4 weeks apart. WD symptoms intense at times. Need to slow down.

November 2016 - Resumed taper. 1.25 - 1.5% decrease weekly approx.

44.5mg November 2016. Jan 2017 42.5 mg. March 2017 40 mg. June 2017 37mg. September 2018 22mg. Nov 2018 Holding at 22mg to stabilise from moderate wave. January 2020 - Holding, mostly feeling fine, but still having some waves at times. 

February 2020 - Resumed taper , 1.5% reduction weekly/every two weeks. 

Mapleleafgirl. Try not to catastrophize about this bump on your road. It will not take years. You did such a good and slow taper. These feelings will end. What can you do in the meantime to take care of your self? Have you done yoga before? Can you do relaxation exercises? Can you take short walks? Is there nature near you? I find short walks to connect with nature very soothing.

You will be fine.

Many hugs.

Current dose: 0! Free!  Quit June 2017.

2017: Last dose zoloft: 17 June 0,00065 mg 18 May 0, 001 mg 14 May 0,002 mg 9 May 0,003 mg 28 April 0,006 mg 19 April 0,009 mg 8 April 0,013 mg 25 March 0,019 mg 22 March 0,039 mg 18 March 0,052 mg 16 March 0,079 mg 4 March 0,086 1 March 0,099 mg 22 February 0,11 mg 15 February 0,13 mg 6 February 0,145 mg 24 January 0,15 mg 19 January 0,19 mg 10 January 0,20 mg 3 January

2016: 0,98 to 0,22 mg; 2015: 2,35 to 1,01 mg; 2014: 4,9 to 2,5 mg; 2013: 9,1 to 5,1 mg; 2012: 15,7 to 9,7 mg; 2011: Started on 25 mg - then 50 mg- dropped to 25- to 12.5 mg - back to 25 mg - after 18.75 mg started tiny tapering to 16.6 mg

Started on 25 mg Zoloft in March 2011 due to stressrelated tinnitus that gave me panicattacks. Had a terrible reaction to Zoloft from start, but was told to "hold on". After four months I was stuck. Therefore the long taper. Crazy, I know... Super sensitive to drops and have dropped by 4-6 % from the previous dose.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi MapleLeafGirl,

You're Canadian! Do you like Corner Gas? I love that show. I have some of the DVDs.

We have similar stories (Paxil) so I thought I would drop by and say hi. I'm sorry to hear you are having a bad

wave though. Hang in there. 

When I am having a very rough time, I ask those close to me (mom, dad, therapist) to "hold the vision" for me of 

getting better. When I am way down in the muck of it and sure that it's THE END, the vision of getting better gets

dimmer and dimmer until I lose the vision. 

So what I'd like to offer to you is that we on this thread will hold the vision for  you of getting out of this wave. 

Think of all you have survived! ! ! ! ! 

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

It's been a rough 19 days... No windows just head stuff .. Depression and wanting to die... Went to the doctors had blood tests ... Today.. Hubby and Doctor talked about my depression ect... Sent me home with ADs of course yelling me I have had a relapse ... No point in talking about wd stuff as they don't believe me

Tapering Schedule:

:(

You're not going to take them?

I may want to die but but my 4 year taper and 20 months rational mind is not insane...

Tapering Schedule:

• Moderator Emeritus

You're really doing great overall MLG. A three-week wave is almost par for the course in this process.

It WILL pass , it IS withdrawal related , and it's NOT an original condition.

It may help to read over the windows and waves pattern of recovery topic again. If it causes conflict to

talk with your family about reinstating , probably best to avoid the subject.

bw , Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

*big hugs*

I am at a loss with this all... I have no idea how long this will last.. I can no longer work... Be with my family... Or have a life at all... My 11 year old daughter has no mother anymore... I am just existing... Not living... I cannot imagine feeling in this state for years...the pressure on me to get better from my husband and mother in law is also crazy... My husband has told me I have to take the ADs my doctor prescribed so I will be better soon and can get back to my life...I can barely function now... I am so scared at this point..

Tapering Schedule:

Hi Michele,

So sorry to hear you are going through this. I can't imagine after reinstating, tapering for 4 years and then feeling fine, you are being hit with a wave. From everything I have read, and others have stated, it's not uncommon at 20 months out, no matter how slow we taper.

I myself tapered off Lexapro too fast over 5 months. Only to be hit at 3 months off and then REALLY bad at 7 months off with anxiety, lack of sleep, GI issues and BAD visual distortions(dp/dr). I reinstated at 1 year off and luckily stabilized. I have now began my SLOOOOW taper.

When I reinstated, I felt OK after a month but was having bad GI issues. I began a 15billion count probiotic to help with the reflux, indigestion etc. After about 3 days of the probiotic, I woke up and felt soon much better. I felt more relaxed, I had slept better, the GI issues were better, my racing thoughts were more manageable and the DR was noticeably lighter.

I thought, no way, the med just must have kicked in. So, I kept taking the probiotic for another two weeks and stopped. About 5-6 days later, I felt pretty crappy again. Started up the probiotic the next day and within 3 days I felt almost 95% again.

What I am getting at is maybe give the probiotic a try. They say our gut kind of falls apart a good while after getting off these meds. GiaK has written extensively about the brain/gut correlation.

Just a suggestion. It has helped me tremendously. After reinstating, I felt about 70% better. The probiotics bumped it to at least 90%. If you do decide to try this, as always suggested, start at a low dose.

Hang in there and keep us updated!

Lexapro from October 2012-October 2014

10mg from Oct 2012-Feb 201320mg from Feb 2013-June 201310mg from July 2013-April 2014
Began taper via liquid Lexapro from April 2014-September 2014(Roughly 6 month taper)---0.00 on Oct 1 2014--WD began in December 2014

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reinstated to 10mg - 10mg Tablet October 15, 2015 - Stable by Mid-January, 2016

2016 - 9mg 3/26/16....8mg 5/11/16....7mg 7/05/16....6mg 8/26/16....5mg 10/31/16

2017 - 4mg 3/06/17....3mg 6/24/17....2mg 9/07/17...1.25mg 10/21/17....1mg 11/04/2017

2018 - 0.75mg 1/21/18....0.5mg 2/18/18....0.25mg 3/13/18....0.125mg 3/27/18....0.000 4/9/18

Supplements - 15B probiotic on and off. Usually helps w/ mood but sometimes is too activating.

I have never had any GI issues even on Paxil or off. But I can't put anything in my body .. I stopped taking my regular magnesium almost when this started and have powder now that I minimally and I mean minimally put into some water ..the only thing I use is lavender oil under my nose to help calm me down and peppermint oil on my forehead.. Behind my ears and back of my hairline when I have brutal head pressure ect.. I wish I could take fish oil but I am too freaked out now...

Tapering Schedule:

I wish your family were of some support.

Hey maple. Im sorry to hear your family are of little support during this difficult time. It must be so hard. I just wanted to say this though - I was where you are now. Scared, confused, feeling like a skeleton of myself. It was aweful. I was scared to wake up every morning. It was true torture. But, and a very big BUT - now, a few months on I am 95% back to my pre WD self. It feels like it will last forever, but it certainly does not. You will make a full recovery, and I honestly dont think it will take that long. You did a good taper , so your resulting symptoms should be relatively short lived. Just take care of yourself while you ride out the hurricane. Batten down the hatches and sooth yourself. One day soon you are going to feel so much better. As my mum always says to me - "its only a blip"

Sending love and hugs,

Nick.

Started Citalopram in 2005 (aged 15) for apparent "OCD" - 60mg 

July 2015 attempted 2 x 10% + cuts 4 weeks apart. WD symptoms intense at times. Need to slow down.

November 2016 - Resumed taper. 1.25 - 1.5% decrease weekly approx.

44.5mg November 2016. Jan 2017 42.5 mg. March 2017 40 mg. June 2017 37mg. September 2018 22mg. Nov 2018 Holding at 22mg to stabilise from moderate wave. January 2020 - Holding, mostly feeling fine, but still having some waves at times. 

February 2020 - Resumed taper , 1.5% reduction weekly/every two weeks. 

I have never had any GI issues even on Paxil or off. But I can't put anything in my body .. I stopped taking my regular magnesium almost when this started and have powder now that I minimally and I mean minimally put into some water ..the only thing I use is lavender oil under my nose to help calm me down and peppermint oil on my forehead.. Behind my ears and back of my hairline when I have brutal head pressure ect.. I wish I could take fish oil but I am too freaked out now...

See, that's what I feared would happen. Although I did a fast taper, deep down I knew if I made it slow the WD will come up later. It is indeed scary. I'm like you completely dysfunctional. My mom is fed up with me. She doesn't understand what I'm going through. No one does. Not even the stupid doctors. 

2009-2014= Paxil CR 12.5mg increased to 25 then 50mg. // Late 2014= reduced to 25mg then switched to regular Paxil 20mg.

July 2015= 10mg // Aug 2015= 5mg // Sep 26, 2015= Paxil free // Oct 2015= minimal WD- glimpse of pre-Paxil self // Nov 2015= WD hit HARD. Increased anxiety, irritability, depression, extreme confusion, concentration problems, intolerance to stress. // Dec 2015= reinstated 5mg // Jan 2016= switched to Prozac 20mg every other day. // Feb 2016= Prozac 20mg every third day // Mar 2016= Prozac free // April 2016= WD symptoms started gradually (anger, anxiety, memory problems). Started taking Lamictal 25mg.  

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey MLG - 

I'm sooooo sorry that this has come back to sting you like this.

There are lots of good suggestions in here - probiotics, sleep apnea (this can change, when were you last tested?), mindfulness, "keeping the vision alive."

Others you might consider are:  Vitamin D (get labs done), maybe - since I know you won't take an AD - you can take a sliver of St. Johns Wort or 5HtP (carefully carefully) to see if these take the edge off of your symptoms - like a reinstatement - but - a natural one.

You've got lots of support in here, lots of people who have been inspired by you and who are thankful to give back to you, to hold you up and keep you going.

When you talk about your symptoms - the pressure, the anxiety the dizziness - How about thinking it like this:  it's limbic.  Your BODY is giving you the symptoms, the burning, the heart pounding - but you are INTERPRETING that as anxiety.

Back to Claire Weekes - Let your body do that.  Resist the urge to say "this is anxiety," instead describe it to yourself:  "my heart is pounding, my head has pressure, I feel dizzy, I want to jump up because my nerves are firing," etc. instead of calling it "anxious" and worrying that it is a crazymaking thing.

It IS a crazymaking thing, symptoms can be maddening, but there may be a misinterpretation.  Are you really threatened?  Or is your body giving off panic signals when there is no need to panic? 

Address the signals,  the physical symptoms, and see if you can detach from the thoughts and feelings ABOUT the symptoms.  I think this is a common feature of most panic attacks - the body "fires," and the mind wants to DO something about it - but gets lost in ruminating - trying to solve an impossible problem.

You may need to remind yourself about Neuro-emotionyou may need to remind yourself of Non Drug Techniques for Coping with Emotional Symptoms

You may need to go back to some of your practices.  You know the deal, you worked really hard, you lost the weight - you can skip a day of exercises, or lapse your diet somewhat.  Well, emotional well being may be like that, too - you felt "I've recovered!  I did it!"
and maybe you let some of your practices lapse.

I am concerned about your lack of support at home, as well as 20 months of bad sleep.  It could be possible that you just exhausted yourself with not sleeping for so long, and you need to focus on your wellness and rest, and reinstill the practices that got you through the long, slow taper.

Was it meditation?  Exercise?  Diet?  Mindfulness?  Yoga?  Walking?  Music?  What were your tools then - have any of them lapsed?  Maybe it's time to revisit your toolbox to see if there's something there which can help you.

Again, I'm sorry - we are all sorry - that you are having to go through this.  But sometimes symptoms are pointing to a change that you need to make.  Only you know for sure what that might be - and your symptoms are guiding you through it.

Was it GiaK who said, "My symptoms are my guru"   ?  Or was it someone else - letting the symptoms be a teacher of what you need right here and now.  Maybe you need to scale back, listen to those symptoms, and seek deep rest.

Jeff Foster - From Depressed to Deep Rest

I hope you see the sun today.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Thanks JC....right now I am under a lot of pressure to get better from my hubby.. He thinks I have been taking the AD's the doctor prescribed to me a couple of days ago and I will be better in A week..no one understands or belives me what is going on.. They all think I am having some type of relapse... But I have never had depression before ... And they all say it's impossible that after being off meds for 20months I would have any type of WD.. My hubby says its BSand I have gotten myself to the point of no return so the only way to fix it is to go on medication...which I know will not end well if I take it... I cannot really do much and function well... My life as I knew it prior to Feb 10th is gone and I feel like I will just be stuck in this place forever

Tapering Schedule:

Bad SI thoughts today as well

Tapering Schedule:

They're just thoughts Michele, there's nothing to them.  It's all going to blow over and then you can have a big "I told you so" party with DH  and friends.

(((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking