Greybird: Tapering off Pristiq

Greybird

I started on Pristiq in 2011 and have tried to go off before without success (tried too quickly at a bad time). 

This time I cut my dose from 50mg to 25mg (even though it is not recommended to cut this medication my doctor said this was the best option for me). 

Withdrawals were intense, especially day 3. 

Now I have cut my dose from 25-12.5mg (starting today). Has anyone done this recently? Any advice, thoughts on this, etc?

Good luck to anyone trying to taper, stay strong!

Greybird, I am moving your first post to out Introductions and Updated forum where it will serve as a sort of journal for you here on the site. Members and other moderators will come by and answer questions for you and offer support.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

Hi Greybird

I tapered Pristiq by cutting. I started by skipping (big mistake). Then went to approx 3/4 took a while to adjust. Tapered from there, details in my signature. I stopped at 12.5 mg 2 weeks ago mainly because I was struggling with consistent dose, either too much or too little coating - never did get the cutting quite right!!

So far I'm coping, but scared I dropped too quickly. How long have you held on each drop? Maybe you are going too fast. Each time I cut it took me a few days to adjust.

It's not an easy process as you well know, but with patience you can do it.

take care

fuzzy

Nov 2012 started on pristiq 50 mg

Late Aug 2014 started taper (skipping every 2nd day)

Early Sep 2014 went back to daily dose but 75% (later realised closer to 60%)

13 Oct 14 1/2 of 50mg tablet split 2/3 in morning 1/3 in evening

14 Nov 1/4 50mg once a day

15 Dec 1/8 daily

26 Dec quit

• Moderator Emeritus

How long did you stay on 25mg?  Those are huge drops (50%), you might want to consider a slower taper, e.g. drops of no more than 10% of each dose, waiting at least 4 weeks until stable after each drop.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

• Administrator

Welcome, Greybird.

Have you seen this topic? Tips for tapering off Pristiq (desvenlafaxine)

At low doses of Pristiq, it's possible you could use a little Effexor XR to go off completely.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.