TripleChocolate: Need your help

TripleChocolate

Hello,

i have a serious problem. I took Opipramol for 3 Weeks in December. After i had some very annoying side effects (increasing anxiety, fear), my doc and i decided on monday this week to stop medication immediately. Since then i developed very scary problems:

- i'm anxious, sometimes panicking, especially in the morning hours (7am-11am)

- i don't sleep very well (4-5hours is good)

- i have uncontrollable crying spells

- i'm feeling desperate and don't want to be alone (although i'm not suicidal)

- some thoughts keep returning over and over again (like a compulsion)

- i'm scared that i go crazy and hurt my wife and have to think about it

- i have no appetite

- in the late afternoon my mood gets better (almost back at normal)

- Digestive Problems

- Pounding heart, which keeps me awake

- Nausea (went away)

What scares me the most: Before i started the medication, i was a stable, normal person without any problems, no OCD, no anxiety disorder, no depression. The doc described me the pills for my IBS,

If these are W/D symptoms, why do I have them afer only three weeks of medication!? Am I going crazy?

Please help & best regards,

TripleChocolate

• Moderator Emeritus

TripleChocolate, welcome. I'm sure others will be along soon to greet you as well. I just want to say that these sound like very typical withdrawal symptoms. Even from short-term use, symptoms can be varied and intense. I am sorry for your experience. Hang in there. Dave

1996 - .5mg Ativan as needed, 7.5mg Remeron daily2008 - .5mg Xanax, Ativan discontinued, Remeron continued2012 - .5mg Xanax, .25mg Ativan 3x daily, Remeron continued2/2012 - Jumped from Remeron, continued .5mg Xanax .25mg Ativan 3x daily4/2012 - Began rapid taper of .5mg Xanax .25mg Ativan 3x daily6/2012 - Jumped from Xanax and Ativan, voluntary hospitalization followed7/2012 - 2nd voluntary hospitalization, reinstated Remeron, bumped to 30mg, also given risperidone.8/2012 - discontinued risperidone, tried gabapentin, dicontinued gabapentin, Remeron 30mg continued10/2012 to current - tapered Remeron 10% every 4 to 6 weeks (sometimes more time) using liquid compound12/2014 - 2mg Remeron 1/16/2015 - 1.9mg Remeron 8/1/2015 -1.6mg Remeron - 03/1/2016 - 1.5mg Remeron - 1/2/2017 1.3mg - 5/7/2017 1.2mg - 5/13/2017 - syringe size change - 6/8/2017 - 1.1mg - 7/10/2017 - 1mg - 9/1/2017 - 0.9mg - 10/22/2017 - 0.8mg - 11/22/2017 - 0.7mg - 2/2/2018 - 0.6mg - 3/13/2018 - new compound pharmacy - 5/20/2018 - 0.5mg - 8/31/2018 - 0.4mg - 11/16/2018 - 0.3mg - 12/24/2018 - 0.2mg - 4/1/2019 - 0.1mg - 5/1/2019 - .05mg - 0mg achieved 2019-06-15. 🤞

TripleChocolate - a moderator will be along before long - they have the experience and knowledge to advise you.   As ten0275 says, your symptoms are very typical of withdrawal.   Good job you found this site.   Hang in there.

Put on Prothiaden for severe depression in 1989.  Recovered.   Prescribed Paxil for another bout of depression around 2000.   Have been trying to taper ever since but always crash about 2 months after getting to zero.   Because of the crashes, for years I thought that there was something wrong with me.   Then found that the crashes were simply withdrawal.   Now following a maximum of a 10% reduction every month or so and ready to slow down any time I feel any symptoms whatsoever.  Feeling good:).

7th Jan 15 - 3.6mg

28th Jan 15 - 3.2mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Triplechocolate, love your pseudonym!  Welcome to SA. I am sorry that you have been treated this way and suffering terribly. I am shocked at the things doctors prescribe anti depressants for, I shouldn't be shocked because we see it all the time here :(

I honestly don't know what to suggest for you so have asked admin to come and read your story. It is difficult to know what is the best course of action because you had adverse effects  while taking it and now have terrible withdrawal.  

Alto will be along to offer her thoughts on what might help but she is very busy so it could be a few more hours. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Administrator

Welcome, TripleChocolate.

Do you have any opipramol left? Is it in a capsule or tablet? What dosage were you taking?

Often, taking a tiny crumb will reduce withdrawal symptoms.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

I hadn't heard of opipramol before, had to look it up.  It seems it is a tri-cyclic that works differently to most other ADs.  I don't think this is withdrawal but an adverse reaction to the drug.  Your symptoms look similar to some of those under 'paradoxical reactions' on the wikipedia page (not the most reliable site, but I couldn't find much else other than a few German sites, it is not listed in the usual meds websites). 

I think it would be best to stay off and find other, gentler treatments for IBS.  I don't recommend trying other meds, as you may be sensitive to them and react badly.  I'm also not convinced that ADs are that appropriate as treatment for IBS.  I have almost eliminated my IBS by going on a gluten-free diet.  Before that I alleviated about 90% of it using aloe vera juice.  There are also other natural treatments available.  Some people find the fodmaps diet helps.

It is hard to say how long your symptoms will last.  Some people recover very quickly from an adverse reaction, others take much longer, so predicting a time-frame really isn't possible, however it definitely will get better with time.  Be very gentle with your nervous system, it will be best to avoid anything stimulating such as caffeine, alcohol, other stimulating meds - even scary movies or intense exercise can be too stimulating for some people - and do anything you can to help calm your system, e.g. relaxation exercises, gentle yoga, meditation. 

You are not going crazy, know that this is not you, it is all from the med, your system will rebalance in time.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

• Administrator

Paradoxical reactions occur when one is on the drug, not when one has come off.

While on the drug, TripleChocolate had classic adverse effects.

If I were TripleChocolate, I would consider reinstatement of a tiny amount of opripramol -- side effects are dosage-related, so a small amount is less likely to cause the problems she had before, and will help cushion the shock of withdrawal.

TripleChocolate, please see How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules Making a liquid of opripramol will allow you to control your dosage more precisely.

But before you do that, please describe your drug, if it's in a capsule or tablet etc.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus

Paradoxical reactions occur when one is on the drug, not when one has come off.

While on the drug, TripleChocolate had classic adverse effects.

She mentioned increasing anxiety and fear while on the drug, which is supposed to be a sedating drug, that sounds paradoxical to me, and with the ongoing effects looks like an adverse reaction to me rather than withdrawal.  But if you've seen RIs of tiny amounts help in this situation, then it definitely sounds worth a try.  If it helps then great, if not then it is only a tiny amount to stop.  I don't think I would spend many weeks trying to stabilise on a small dose in this situation if it doesn't help quickly though.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

• Administrator

It takes at least 4 days for a drug to reach steady-state in the bloodstream.

We do indeed see very small doses relieve withdrawal symptoms. It might take some weeks for the full effect to be felt.

If there is some relief right away, that's an indication to stick with it.

But first, we need to find out exactly what form this drug is in. If it's a capsule filled with beads, then bead-counting is called for. If it's a powder or tablet, then a liquid.