Cheeky: on Paxil for 23 years needing advice

Cheeky

Hi Jane Carole ,

I appreciate your advice and what I was going to do was tapper Seraquel fiwn to 25mg by 10% reductions every 3 weeks , then start to tapper the Paxil by 10% every 6 weeks . What is your advice about that .

• 1995 started Paxil 20mg slowly increasing to 50mg 2014 I decided to tapper myself not knowing how too and crashed , DR added 50mg of Seroquel

• Through the years made many mistakes tapering

• Started Tapering Both drugs at the same time 7.5% per month Paxil 9% Seroquel doing daily micro-taper 

• Guided by Mark Horowitz

• 31/3/24 Paxil 10.31mg

• 31/3/24 Seroquel 9.9mg

And to add I was son Seraquel from 5 months. I thought becouse I wasn't on it for long it would be better to get that out of the way before I start my tapper of Paxil , I just wanted to get to 25 mg Seraquel then start the Paxil tapper.

Yes it can be a little confusing about what I should do.

• 1995 started Paxil 20mg slowly increasing to 50mg 2014 I decided to tapper myself not knowing how too and crashed , DR added 50mg of Seroquel

• Started Tapering Both drugs at the same time 7.5% per month Paxil 9% Seroquel doing daily micro-taper 

• 31/3/24 Paxil 10.31mg

• 31/3/24 Seroquel 9.9mg

• Administrator

Cheeky, how are you feeling now that you've been taking Paxil a bit longer?

Please do NOT assume that since you've been on Seroquel 5-6 months that you can taper it quickly because it was such a short time. It is plenty of time for your nervous system to become accustomed to it. Anyone who has been on one of these drugs for more than a MONTH is at risk for withdrawal syndrome.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I have been feeling fine , back to normal 95% so that is why

I thought it would've a good time to tapper , what would be your advice , I really want to

Have a plan in place to follow.

• 31/3/24 Paxil 10.31mg

• 31/3/24 Seroquel 9.9mg

• Administrator

I would give your nervous system a vacation from drug changes and keep everything the same for a couple of months before changing anything.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Okay I will follow your advice.

• 31/3/24 Paxil 10.31mg

• 31/3/24 Seroquel 9.9mg

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

just an update about how I'm doing.

Since February the 24th I started my Seraquel taper, I was on 50mg tablet. The first month I went down to 43.75mg and felt great and the 2nd month 37.5mg and have felt good. I am to begin my next tapper in a 8 days. Just the last couple of days I have felt a little anxious, it come in waves , But I can live with it and function. Im just wondering should I stay on this dose for a few more weeks til my body gets used to it.

• 31/3/24 Paxil 10.31mg

• 31/3/24 Seroquel 9.9mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Its best to wait until symptoms settle down before making another cut.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

I think that sounds right , I will do

That . Thankyou

• 31/3/24 Paxil 10.31mg

• 31/3/24 Seroquel 9.9mg

• Moderator Emeritus

See how you feel then, but in general it doesn't hurt to wait a bit longer to be very sure of being stable.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

Is it windows and waved that you get while tappering ? And once you stable is that the right time to do the next drop?

• 31/3/24 Paxil 10.31mg

• 31/3/24 Seroquel 9.9mg

• Moderator Emeritus

In general it is best to wait until you feel pretty stable before starting your next drop, otherwise previous drops can catch up with you.  That is, you would be making another change before the body has adjusted to the previous one.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

okay thanks songbird. I was going to get down to 1 tablet of seraquel and then start the tapper od paxil. I think staying on the one seraquel at 25mg a small dose will help me with the withdrawals from paxil. I was also going to get my medication done in a Compounding Pharmacy as it will be easier. what do you think about that ?

• 31/3/24 Paxil 10.31mg

• 31/3/24 Seroquel 9.9mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Personally I would get off Seroquel as soon as possible, but I am rather anti-Seroquel, it's a drug that really scares me.  If you taper Paxil slowly enough, you may not need another drug to get you through.  I know the advice here is to taper the sedating drugs last, but I would only follow that rule for long-term meds (e.g. people who have been on a benzo for years).  My feeling is that you should get off meds you have not been on very long first, when it will usually be easier.  This is only my own opinion, and the decision which to taper first is totally up to you, there are no hard and fast rules.

A compounding pharmacy is a good option, but I would recommend getting them to compound a liquid if possible.  This is what I am doing, and it is working well.  The liquid gives you the flexibility to change doses to whatever you want, whenever you want.  If you get compounded capsules you'll need to know in advance the dose you need and how many, which locks you in more to a tapering schedule, but some people have done it this way successfully.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2016  Aug off paroxetine

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having a little dilemma, I have been on Seraquel for now 7 months at 50mg and have reduced to 38mg 2 months that's a quarter of a pill each time. Everything has been okay so far just a little anxiety. I am due to make another taper at a quarter of a pill but am a little worried, as i  don't  want all these big cuts to creep up on me and make me feel bad again.

I was going to try an 1/8 less for 2 weeks and if all goes well do another 1/8.

If I was to do the 10% reduction it would be years to get off and I have only been on it for 7 months so hoping I could come off it in 7 months.  Any adice would be great. Thanks

• 31/3/24 Paxil 10.31mg

• 31/3/24 Seroquel 9.9mg

I'm having a little dilemma, I have been on Seraquel for now 7 months at 50mg and have reduced to 38mg 2 months that's a quarter of a pill each time. Everything has been okay so far just a little anxiety. I am due to make another taper at a quarter of a pill but am a little worried, as i  don't  want all these big cuts to creep up on me and make me feel bad again.

I was going to try an 1/8 less for 2 weeks and if all goes well do another 1/8.

If I was to do the 10% reduction it would be years to get off and I have only been on it for 7 months so hoping I could come off it in 7 months.  Any adice would be great. Thanks

• 31/3/24 Paxil 10.31mg

• 31/3/24 Seroquel 9.9mg

My son was on 50 mg of Seroquel and I have been tapering him at 5 to 10 percent a month. He started in Dec. and is on about 36 mg now. He has hasn't had any major issues yet ( knock on wood lol). Just random aches and pains that come and go. I on the other hand came of Paxil in a two month span and have been suffering horribly for ten months now. I think the slow taper is the way to go.

2002-put on amitryptiline for fibromyalgia. 10mg.2004-stopped abruptly. Didn't think it helped.2006 approx.-put on Paxil for mild anxiety 20 mg.2007 upped to 40 mg. not sure why.2011- tapered from 40 to 10. went nuts and went back to 20mg2014- tapered from 20mg to 0 from April to The end of June.current meds- Metformin(type 2 diabetic) and low dose aspirin.Take multi vitamin and vit b12, vit. D and magnesium. 5 months off Paxil. Still suffering.recently added 1.2mg of Paxil to alleviate withdrawals.(Nov 30)Dropped to .9mg because having symptoms from reinstatement.(dec 23)<p>taper to .76mg-.8mg (Feb 3) approx. weight .010 to about .008-.009 on scale.
.6mg (march 19th.) .5mg(April 19th)
.4mg(April 27th)
.2 (June 27th)

0mg.  done taper at beginning of August.

• Administrator

Cheeky, I moved your post here from the Seroquel topic as it pertains to your particular situation.

Anyone who has taken a psychiatric drug for more than a month is at risk for withdrawal syndrome. To be cautious, I would slow your rate of taper to 10% per month.

You can go faster at your own risk. No one can predict what will happen.

This is a joke, I was put on this for sleep and now I have to tapper of this before I can even start the Paxil tapper.

By the time get off these drugs it will be 10 years. I don't know if I should risk more then 10%.

I just wish I Could take back time

• 31/3/24 Paxil 10.31mg

• 31/3/24 Seroquel 9.9mg

• Administrator

I'm sorry this is so difficult. We're on a path with no maps.

My opinion is that you don't need to taper a drug longer than the time you were on it.

Paxil 20mg 1994-2005
Tried to quit twice, finally did it on my 3rd attempt in 2005.

I went from 20mg to zero in about four months, believing at the time that it was a reasonable taper.  It wasn't.  I suffered mostly emotional symptoms: frequent episodes of "anxious depression" lasting for about 17 months before it got noticeably better.

barbs, that's what i think. If I was on for 7 months it should really on take me 7 months to get of it. I just hope so.

• 31/3/24 Paxil 10.31mg

• 31/3/24 Seroquel 9.9mg

Just saying hello, from another "aussie".  I'm sorry that you're having such a difficult time with this taper. I hope you can resolve it in time. Take care and stay strong.

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Hey Alig,

Nice to see another Aussie , I hope you find this site good, it has helped me out alot.

• 31/3/24 Paxil 10.31mg

• 31/3/24 Seroquel 9.9mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Tapering too fast off Seroquel can cause insomnia for some people, especially as the dose gets lower. You may be able to taper faster down to a certain dose, but then need to slow down.

If you are already taking a low dose of it, (25mg or less) it can often protect from the insomnia which can sometimes become a problem while  withdrawing from other drugs. So one option would be to taper down on the Seroquel a bit more, then hold on that and start your Paxil taper. On the other hand, seroquel can be very sedating for some people, causing fatigue during the day, so this might be a reason you would want to come off it first. So you really need to listen to your own body and symptoms before making a decision about what's most likely to work best for you.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

I was wanting to come of Seraquel first at they say its really bad.

At the beginning I was going to get down to 25mg of Seraquel and then do the Paxil tapper. I have been told by alot to get of the Seraquel first as I havent been on it for long.

Soooooo confused

• 31/3/24 Paxil 10.31mg

• 31/3/24 Seroquel 9.9mg

• Moderator Emeritus

There are no exact rules that are right for everyone.  The key is to learn to listen to your body.    You could try your eighth drop and see how it goes.  If it goes okay, try another eighth.  If drops begin to get more difficult, then slow it down with smaller drops.  Basically adjust your taper according to how your body responds.  If you do get some insomnia, there may be other options, e.g. melatonin.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2016  Aug off paroxetine

that sound like a good idea. Thanks songbird

• 31/3/24 Paxil 10.31mg

• 31/3/24 Seroquel 9.9mg

• Administrator

What is your sleep pattern like, Cheeky? Are you drowsy during the day?

I have been very tired since taking Seraquel , I can't even keep my eyes open during the day and struggle every morning getting out of bed. I have been getting up in the middle of the night and eating like some crazy women. I've put on 6kg and am feeling I have no energy to exercise . I would be happy to sleep all day. When I was on Paxil only I excersised and had more energy

• 31/3/24 Paxil 10.31mg

• 31/3/24 Seroquel 9.9mg

• Administrator

You may wish to taper part-way down on Seroquel and then taper Paxil -- to keep on sleeping. See Tips for tapering off Seroquel (quetiapine)

I want to get down to 25mg of seraquel and then start the paxil tapper.

Thanks for your help Altostrata

• 31/3/24 Paxil 10.31mg

• 31/3/24 Seroquel 9.9mg

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

I'm finally done to 25mg Seraquel and still on my 40mg Paxil, im going to stay on this for about 6 weeks and then decide to start my next taper, I really wont to get of the Seraquel as it makes me sooooo tired all the time but I wont to get of the Paxil as well. I dont wont to do both at the same time as I want to monitor myself and know what drug is causeing what. I thought mayby get down to another half of 25mg and then start the Paxil Taper. I feel abit confused any guidence would be appreciated. Thanks

• 31/3/24 Paxil 10.31mg

• 31/3/24 Seroquel 9.9mg

Good luck whatever you decide

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

Thanks I need some advice though.

• 31/3/24 Paxil 10.31mg

• 31/3/24 Seroquel 9.9mg

• Moderator Emeritus

I thought mayby get down to another half of 25mg and then start the Paxil Taper. I feel abit confused any guidence would be appreciated.

If 25mg of seroquel is still causing fatigue, then continuing to taper it down a bit lower seems like a sensible idea to me.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary