Ravenvision

Experiences after tapering to zero

Ravenvision

I have tried to quit paxil several times....I did not do it slowly  or not slow enough.    The longest I ever made it was about  4 months off then the wheels fell off the bus.....big time.  And I reinstated and stabilized.

I understand the thinking behind long slow tapers - which would be the only way to go if I ever do this again.   I wanted to know if any of you found that even with a long and slow.....you end up uncomfortable some time after you have finally dropped to zero.

I understand that everybody is different - but does the brain slowly adjust or does the hard stuff still get ya later?

Hope this isn't too obtuse. B)

Raven.

indigo

I also had the experience of trying to get off anti-depressants several times without success. The common advice from doctors, to cut down my dose to every other day was disastrous for me. The withdrawal was so deadly and prolonged I'd give up. Since I  had told no one I was on SSRI's, and had been for years, I wasn't discussing the situation with friends. Then I came across a very understanding and informative guide about getting off anti-depressants. For the first time I had a clue about how to get off this stuff. I think it might answer some of your questions. http://www.theicarusproject.net/HarmReductionGuideComingOffPsychDrugs

SelmaLady

I have tried to quit paxil several times....I did not do it slowly  or not slow enough.    The longest I ever made it was about  4 months off then the wheels fell off the bus.....big time.  And I reinstated and stabilized.

I understand the thinking behind long slow tapers - which would be the only way to go if I ever do this again.   I wanted to know if any of you found that even with a long and slow.....you end up uncomfortable some time after you have finally dropped to zero.

I understand that everybody is different - but does the brain slowly adjust or does the hard stuff still get ya later?

Hope this isn't too obtuse. B)

Raven.

YES!! I want to know this too.  I don't see any posts from people who did a very slow and careful taper and what the next months/years were like...I worry about delayed w/d's too.   I did a super slow taper off of Valium 10 years ago and found that, as I got lower I felt much better until the very end and the next few months when I was more "out of it".    But I went on to full recovery (my baseline from a previous c/t w/d) w/i 18 mths and no intense w/d's.  Surely am hoping that this will be the same but don't see any post on it...

SelmaLady

Please read Hudgen's topic.

I'm sorry but I don't know where to find this???

Rhiannon

I've only dropped one of my meds all the way to zero, the gabapentin. I had a slightly bumpy month and a half after I came off but then things went back to my current "normal" at that time. (That was two and a half years ago so my normal now is actually quite a bit better than my normal then was.)

Still have a bit to go before I get to zero on any of the other ones. But given how I feel after cuts and then how that resolves and how I feel after longer holds, I'm anticipating that it will go pretty well. Of course I do plan to taper very slowly.

DLB

Maple leaf girl did a four year taper after a few unsuccessful fast ones and is now 7 months out and doing well.

Hudgens

I'd like to comment here in the positive, but I'm only 4 months post taper after a 4 year taper, so I don't know what's going to happen. So far I'm fine, I feel completely back to normal. Still have mild things: morning Cortisol maybe once a week; very mild brain zaps (worthnoting that these were always mild, that is never really bothered me perhaps due to the slow taper); irritability sometimes and mild disphoria for very short periods (1-2hrs) about once a month. As I said, all these things are so mild and short lived that I could almost convince myself they are normal.

Still I have to wait until 9-10 months out to feel I'm perhaps out of the woods. So there it is. Anyway, April 1st I'll be half way there!

Designerguru

I'm only 4 months out after a year taper. I have to say that except for the insomnia issues (which I have struggled with for years), I feel really good. About 24 hours after I took my last .5 mg of Effexor, it was like the fog had lifted. The "cog fog" I had experienced while on Effexor went away almost immediately. My energy came back. The flatness went away.

I don't know if side effects will appear later. I know that happens to some. I hope I am one of the lucky ones--but who knows?

Vonnegutjunky

❤️❤️❤️❤️ Please

Keep us posted - I see this and have so much hope ❤️

LeighS

Hi, very glad I found this forum. I've been reading the posts here for weeks, and decided to post my experience so far in case it can help anyone. I decided for sure to taper off Pristiq a few months ago. I've taken 50mg for 3 1/2 yrs and hoping i no longer need it for anxiety attacks. I tried cold turkey 8 mths ago and became VERY sick on day 3. So this time I took 3/4 of a pill for 2 weeks (bit them in half and then half again - not an exact science); then I did a half pill for 2 weeks, then a quarter pill for 1 1/2 weeks. My last quarter pill was last Saturday. Imy on vacation this week from work thankfully. The tapering part went well; I didn't notice any symptoms. On Monday I felt very fatigued, achy and head achy so I laid around with the TV on til 2:30. Tuesday I felt better and was more productive but had strange sensations in my head (brain zaps?) And dizziness. Wednesday, head sensations. Today I have the head sensations but am ok. Knock on wood but I think the taper may have worked for me and ita be because I was only taking 50mg.

manymoretodays

I think that the rule of thumb for safe tapering is a 10 percent reduction every month.

If I am reading correctly you went from 50 to zero in a little over a mos.

I wish I could direct you to the place where it talks about tapering your Pristiq.  Hopefully a moderator will be by shortly.

And any meds. taken prior to the Pristiq?  Information like that always helps.

Non medication coping skills for anxiety that you have in place and are doing regularly?

Yes, knock on wood.  Hopefully you will be a lucky one.  I would at the very least be expecting some "rebound anxiety" to creep up pretty soon.  I believe Pristiq, Cymbalta, and Effexor are all pretty similar in chemical make up(SSNRI's) and often do create a lot of more protracted withdrawal issues.  Not to be a Debbie Downer.  And hopefully you do have some to reinstate with which might help later.

Please post again in some 3-6 mos.  Or sooner.  I have only been around here for 3 mos. myself.

Meanwhile..........hoping a moderator directs you soon.  Even with tapering that 10 percent every mos. a lot of people do run into difficulties, and especially when getting down to the final stages, lower doses.

GiantsWSC

Ravenvision,

Yeah everyone is different and people have ben on these drugs for various amounts of time from a month to many years.

I can give you an example for my case since I've been on it or quite some time now. Initially I was told by my doctor that tapering off Paxil was easy, basically take the pill every other day for 2 weeks then 1 pill every few days then 1 pill a week and then off. Easier said than done and it was quite the roler coaster ride.

The for many years I ended up just taking 10mg a day which kept me in a good, sane mood. Then one day I decided to take control of my life instead of a pill dictating path and came upon a website that has since been closed called Paxil Progress. From there I learned from quite a few folks that there was a much better method of tapering, albeit a bit slow but so far it's been worth it. For the most part the 10% drop each month is a good baseline, but some people find you might have to drop slower the lower you get.

As you can see from my signature I've ben tapering since Oct. of 2013. Yes, there are ups and downs and I get typical symptoms of insomnia, night sweats, some memory loss (maybe also due to ambien), irritability, not wating to o out and be with people, difficulty focusing. Basically, this isn't a race and you have all the time in the world to get off it. Some drops I go down a bit each month and some I wait a couple months. If I feel I need to stay on a particular dose for a bit longer I just stick with it until I feel comfortable dropping down to the next cut.

They say it gets harder the lower you go and the 5.0mg mark is where some get into a weird zone but I belive that where your body may be telling you that ok its time to hang out here for a bit before moving forward. I'm at 3.2 mg and so far I've ben doing pretty good. Getting sound sleep( when I can get it), in my opinion, has helped me tremendously. Also eating better, going for a workout, and socializing with people have also helped. I take some supplements on the side like Omega 3 fish oil, Magnesium Citrate, even started adding Chia Seed to my diet recently and so far it hasn't had any negative effects.

I'm looking forward to that day where I hit the zero mark and hope the rest of us can do it as well.

Hope this helps.

AmyK

This question bothers me too, i have tapered very slowly and I am down to 1.08 mg zoloft now, What happens at zero? Will it be smooth? i really hope so, I had so enough of this (but who has'nt?).

marie123

I just jumped at 4 mg of Trazadone a few weeks ago. I did a slow 10 month taper from 75 mg. Withdrawal is not that bad, I feel pretty good.

ChessieCat

Bumping this topic.

manymoretodays

Going to try for a revival of this thread, for those of us post zero, and wanting to share experiences after tapering to zero.

Me, I've gotta post my success story ASAP.  Because it's time.🤓  And yes, for me, I feel successful, in my own journey and adventure off. 

Just going to put this here today, it's on a refrigerator magnet, that I picked up at a 12 step meeting awhile back.  Author unknown.

F. E. A. R.

has two meanings

Forget Everything And Run

OR

Face Everything and Rise

The choice is yours.

And yah, once in awhile, I still hit partial days, or a day, of just wanting to run and/or hide and isolate.

And if I can, am free enough from responsibilities to others and myself, sometimes I WILL take a day, or a few hours to just go with the feeling.

Me, I can't afford more than a day though.  If I allow myself too long at it, the feeling, the fears, it does tend to spiral into something bigger and becomes a deeper hole, which is then much harder to climb out of.

I've found communities and relationships with other people to be perhaps, one of the most helpful things, in healing further. Oh just plain faith too.  We've got the whole Finding Meaning forum for that though.

So if I isolate, I start getting disconnected, and then that's not so good.

So that's something I've learned.

Many more experiences, of course.  B)

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

manymoretodays

Edited by manymoretodays
spelling, elaboration

Rhiannon

Face Everything And Rise -- I love it! I've copied it to print out and put on the wall with my inspirational stuff. 

I also take "down days" sometimes but I think I am finding the same thing--I'm not sure if it really helps so much. It's really hard to fight it but I think it kind of just reinforces itself. Maybe I need to find some ways to be gentle and nonstimulating but not 100% agoraphobic and isolating. Thanks for encouraging me in that.

Miko789
On 9/13/2019 at 7:09 PM, manymoretodays said:

Going to try for a revival of this thread, for those of us post zero, and wanting to share experiences after tapering to zero.

Me, I've gotta post my success story ASAP.  Because it's time.🤓  And yes, for me, I feel successful, in my own journey and adventure off. 

Just going to put this here today, it's on a refrigerator magnet, that I picked up at a 12 step meeting awhile back.  Author unknown.

F. E. A. R.

has two meanings

Forget Everything And Run

OR

Face Everything and Rise

The choice is yours.

And yah, once in awhile, I still hit partial days, or a day, of just wanting to run and/or hide and isolate.

And if I can, am free enough from responsibilities to others and myself, sometimes I WILL take a day, or a few hours to just go with the feeling.

Me, I can't afford more than a day though.  If I allow myself too long at it, the feeling, the fears, it does tend to spiral into something bigger and becomes a deeper hole, which is then much harder to climb out of.

I've found communities and relationships with other people to be perhaps, one of the most helpful things, in healing further. Oh just plain faith too.  We've got the whole Finding Meaning forum for that though.

So if I isolate, I start getting disconnected, and then that's not so good.

So that's something I've learned.

Many more experiences, of course.  B)

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

manymoretodays

Congrats on your getting off med. Long journey.

As far as Fear I choose Face Everthing And Rise