WiggleIt

Cold turkey or rapid taper success stories?

EnglishSteve

Is this the success story section ?

Dear me. So much of this site makes for distressing reading.

I wonder how many desperate people who aren’t members, but are in an acute fragile state due to negligent doctors  end up here reading some of this.  It’s like you don’t think you can get emotionally lower but you fail to see the trapdoor you’re standing on.

There are, I’m sure, many kind and helpful people on this site, I know I’ve been helped by two and I’ve only been a member for one day. But I really am going to have to be careful about what I read. I’ve been through that trapdoor a few times already today. 

Altostrata

This topic is not the Success Stories section. It is within the Success Stories section, which contains hundreds of topics, some of them complaining about the Success Stories.

thecowisback
On 3/13/2018 at 5:20 AM, anongrl5590 said:

Hi there -

Well I am about 18 months out since my CT. I still have about half of the symptoms I started out with but they are progressively getting better although VERY slowly. A lot of my physical symptoms have improved but I still have some that still hit me pretty hard every now and then. Mainly my mental symptoms are the ones that are driving me nuts. I don't really get much of a break from the mental symptoms. I am just chugging along everyday trying to survive as usual. But again, I have noticed improvements. I am definitely not where I was few months ago. I hope things keep progressing in the right direction. 

How are you now?

GonnaBeOk

Found this group too late after CT Prozac from Jan-April 2018 (May as well have been CT). Was on Prozac many years (as well as many drugs over prior years). Did not know I was in withdrawal because I attributed my withdrawal symptoms to my having chronic Lyme (and likely poor brain function from coming off Prozac wayyyyyy too fast—my withdrawal symptoms are horrible! Can’t believe I did not connect the dots! ). Im not currently treating Lyme. I’m looking for any success stories of people with similar experience who CT long term use of SSRIs and are improved now. Can anyone link me to such success stories on this site?

Altostrata

Merged similar topics.

Please use search in the Success Stories forum to see outcomes of cold turkey.

Clearly, people do survive cold turkey. If it killed people, that would be a public health crisis even psychiatrists couldn't ignore.

Same with rapid taper. In fact, rapid taper is the norm. Most likely recovery follows a bell curve, with a small number having no problems at all; a large number, possibly a majority, recovering within a few weeks or months; a substantial percentage take months to a couple of years to recover; and a minority taking many years to recover.

Before you go off drugs, there is no way to predict which group you'll be in.

WiggleIt

Oh my gosh!!!!  I can't believe it!  All those years ago, I was searching for stories of surviving cold turkey, and now I can say I DID survive!!!  How crazy to see this thread that I started because I was terrified, but now I can look back at my past self, and others like me, and I can say with confidence that they can make it through.

Rezten
13 hours ago, WiggleIt said:

Oh my gosh!!!!  I can't believe it!  All those years ago, I was searching for stories of surviving cold turkey, and now I can say I DID survive!!!  How crazy to see this thread that I started because I was terrified, but now I can look back at my past self, and others like me, and I can say with confidence that they can make it through.

Is your success story posted in here?  

WiggleIt
1 hour ago, Rezten said:

Is your success story posted in here?  

I have not written one.  I've wavered back and forth on whether to write one or not, to be honest.  Mentally and emotionally, I've recovered from meds, but there has been lasting physical damage, so I'm never really sure whether to consider myself a "success" or a "partial success" or a "total success."  What I do know for sure is that I'm much, much better.  It's stunning what psych meds do.  It's shocking that I lived through it, but I did, and I feel truly honest about telling others that it gets better.

Rezten
8 minutes ago, WiggleIt said:

I have not written one.  I've wavered back and forth on whether to write one or not, to be honest.  Mentally and emotionally, I've recovered from meds, but there has been lasting physical damage, so I'm never really sure whether to consider myself a "success" or a "partial success" or a "total success."  What I do know for sure is that I'm much, much better.  It's stunning what psych meds do.  It's shocking that I lived through it, but I did, and I feel truly honest about telling others that it gets better.

Thank you for those encouraging words.  I can understand why you may not want to post.  I'm feeling very scared and discouraged and your post here gives me some hope.  But I also feel like others may heal but I wont.  

I'm sorry you still have some lasting issues. Hopefully those will go away as well.

Thank you again

WiggleIt
12 minutes ago, Rezten said:

Thank you for those encouraging words.  I can understand why you may not want to post.  I'm feeling very scared and discouraged and your post here gives me some hope.  But I also feel like others may heal but I wont.  

I'm sorry you still have some lasting issues. Hopefully those will go away as well.

Thank you again

I understand what it's like to be scared you won't heal!  I was so convinced I wouldn't and was so convinced I was the worst case here.  I thought, "Oh, others got better, but that's because they weren't as bad as me in the first place."  Thank God, I was wrong!  I did get better, and everyone who told me I'd get better... well, THOSE were the people who were right.

And I really, really recommend actually printing out your favorite success stories and highlighting the most hopeful parts.  Reading them online is great, but sometimes I really needed to hold the papers in my hand without having to scroll through a bunch of links first.  When they're in print, they're just a little easier to access, especially on days when light sensitivity makes it hard to look at a screen.

You'll get better, Rezten!  

Rezten
2 minutes ago, WiggleIt said:

And I really, really recommend actually printing out your favorite success stories and highlighting the most hopeful parts.

That's a good idea!  Thank you.

Itzakadoozee
1 hour ago, WiggleIt said:

You are a success!

India
On 1/12/2015 at 12:48 AM, Brandy said:

WiggleIt, I was surprised when I saw your thread. There were countless success stories on PP from rapid tapers and cold turkeys. I don't recall anyone actually posting a "success story" per se until very recent years though.

I was very worried and thought I was an exception who would not recover, after joining PP in 2007, almost a year after my last dose from a much-too-fast taper off paxil. At that time, normal recovery on PP was considered to be 12 months, possibly as long as 18 months. And the 10% taper was something one person was trying as an experiment after repeated failures to be able to go off faster,and not what anyone else on AD sites had done. At almost one year off, I was in the worst of withdrawal, and that continued for me beyond the one-year point. Anything beyond one year was termed "protracted withdrawal" and newbies especially would freak out if anyone mentioned their withdrawal was lasting that long. A thread started for protracted withdrawal1 yr+ was frowned upon but tolerated. Requests for a success stories section or thread were repeatedly refused on that site. (It was only many years later that some "success stories" were collected in some threads, and by that time most members were gone or rarely posted, and newer members were or had been tapering by the 10% method.)

I am personally familiar with many, if not most, of the cases cited from PP in the thread about success stories from other sites, and most of them are from people who c/t'd (cold-turkeyed) or tapered very quickly, though their history is not given in those posts.

Recovery from cold turkeys or too-fast tapers either are brief or relatively uneventful, in which case people don't generally think to seek out withdrawal groups, or can be slow, although - I cannnot overemphasize this - do not remain at the early severity for the duration, and this group (SA) is new enough (and deliberately started very small, with a membership consisting specifically of people in protracted withdrawal) that most people who went off quickly are still recovering, albeit with many of us having had substantial improvement. I think most members of this group, especially those who post actively, are doing slow tapers, or joined too recently to have recovered from their too-fast tapers or c/t's  yet.

There are many other considerations to bear in mind. And many reasons why many, probably most people, don't post success stories. (I am one who has never done that.) The reasons are not what you'd think, and may alleviate a lot of people's needless worries. I have drafted a post about why people don't post success stories (based on many years in withdrawal groups and having corresponded with countless people privately.) I want to proofread it later (something I should always, but only very rarely do!). I will post it in this section of the site soon.

Really illuminating

India
On 1/17/2019 at 7:52 AM, Altostrata said:

Merged similar topics.

Please use search in the Success Stories forum to see outcomes of cold turkey.

Clearly, people do survive cold turkey. If it killed people, that would be a public health crisis even psychiatrists couldn't ignore.

Same with rapid taper. In fact, rapid taper is the norm. Most likely recovery follows a bell curve, with a small number having no problems at all; a large number, possibly a majority, recovering within a few weeks or months; a substantial percentage take months to a couple of years to recover; and a minority taking many years to recover.

Before you go off drugs, there is no way to predict which group you'll be in.

And also you can be on different positions on the bell curve at different periods of your life. At 22, I stopped taking 20mg of citalopram after 3 years overnight and had 0 W/D symptoms. Now I am in protracted withdrawal after 12 years of consecutive use and a too fast taper. Thank you for this analogy/post  . 

FarmGirlWorks
34 minutes ago, India said:

There are many other considerations to bear in mind. And many reasons why many, probably most people, don't post success stories. (I am one who has never done that.) The reasons are not what you'd think, and may alleviate a lot of people's needless worries. I have drafted a post about why people don't post success stories (based on many years in withdrawal groups and having corresponded with countless people privately.) I want to proofread it later (something I should always, but only very rarely do!). I will post it in this section of the site soon.

Hi @Brandy, I would really like to read your take on why people do not write success stories. I just assumed (always the best strategy) that people got better and were so busy living again that they didn't come back. The Success Stories are a lifeline for me (22 months) and, of course, would like to read more. But eager to find out reasons there are not. Thanks! And glad you recovered.

Altostrata

We know people do not come back after recovery because they want to put a difficult period in their lives behind them.

As you post in topics, particularly Intro topics, please encourage people to keep in touch as they feel better!

India
On 2/1/2019 at 6:52 AM, WiggleIt said:

Like honey to many of our ears