SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

mitch Brain zaps shivers

mitch

hi im coming up to 6 months off Zoloft 25mg for 12 years. Went up 2 months to 100 mg then off 2 months back on 1 month 50 mg. I have 24/7 brain zaps shivers electric head will this ever go away I'm no coping

been on zoloft about 12 years  25 mg    last year went up to 100 mg  for 2 months  got brain zaps   so went off for 2 months  then back on at 50 mg for 2 months  still with zaps  now off 6 months with 24/7 brain zaps shivers electric head  going crazy

Hi mitch,

Please start a topic for yourself in our Introductions and Updates forum.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• Administrator

Welcome, mitch.

I moved your topic to the Introductions forum. Please put your updates and questions in this topic, to track your progress.

When did the brain zaps start? You last went off 50mg Zoloft 6 months ago, is that right?

Many people do better with fish oil and magnesium supplements, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

These can help brain zaps.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

* post moved from symptoms section

hi im 6 months off zoloft i have 24/7 brain zaps and electric head I'm taking fish oil     I'm going crazy will this ever stop 

Edited by Petu
added note

been on zoloft about 12 years  25 mg    last year went up to 100 mg  for 2 months  got brain zaps   so went off for 2 months  then back on at 50 mg for 2 months  still with zaps  now off 6 months with 24/7 brain zaps shivers electric head  going crazy

Hi, Mitch! Glad to see you here! I know you from the Zoloft FB page! Hope you can find some help here! Alto is very knowledgeable, as are the other mods!

Zoloft 100 mg. daily for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since Oct. 1994 / Synthroid 88 mcg. daily / Supplements: Neptune Krill Oil-1,000 mg. twice daily/Astaxanthin 10 mg. twice daily/Ubiquinol 100 mg. twice daily (These 3 have allowed me to discontinue (approved by doctor) bp meds I was on. Calcium Citrate 500 mg. daily/Vitamin D3 2,400 iu daily/K2 (MK7) 100 mcg daily (osteopenia and fam. hist. of severe osteoporosis). Stress B Complex (1/2 dose)/Quercetin (for allergies/asthma)/Magnesium (400 mg. oral glycinate and about 50 mg. magnesium chloride spray oil a day, divided throughout day).

Tapered Zoloft about 6 wks. Totally off since the end of July (25-29, 2014). 3 wks. vertigo at end of taper, then 3-4 wks. OK, followed by withdrawal symptoms increasing in severity (nausea, gastric disturbances, loss of appetite, insomnia, restlessness, jitters, anxiety, agitation--jumping out of my skin--possible akathisia?) Seem to have paradoxical reactions to everything new, even Vitamin C. Severity of akathisia comes and goes, but is constant to some degree. Hard to leave house, and cannot be home alone. (Retired)

• Moderator Emeritus

hi im 6 months off zoloft i have 24/7 brain zaps and electric head I'm taking fish oil     I'm going crazy will this ever stop 

Hi Mitch,

This topic may answer some of your questions:

Brain Zaps

Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature.  Putting a short version of your drug and tapering history in your signature helps people understand your context, it appears below each of your posts.  Here are instructions for how to do it:

http://survivinganti...your-signature/

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

gee I'm no good on this web site have no idea how to work it arghhhh 

hi  I've been off zoloft 6 months i have 24/7  brain zaps and shivers and electric head buzz will this ever go away   or do i have it for life   …..  

You're doing fine, Mitch. You found your thread to post in. In the post up above, Alto has asked you a couple of questions about when your brain zaps started, and when you went off Zoloft and how much you were taking. Also above, Petu has posted some links pertaining to brain zaps, and has posted a link telling you how to do a "signature". If you are viewing the site on a laptop, you can see everyone's signature at the bottom of their posts. You can use these as examples. Hope this helps!

Zoloft 100 mg. daily for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since Oct. 1994 / Synthroid 88 mcg. daily / Supplements: Neptune Krill Oil-1,000 mg. twice daily/Astaxanthin 10 mg. twice daily/Ubiquinol 100 mg. twice daily (These 3 have allowed me to discontinue (approved by doctor) bp meds I was on. Calcium Citrate 500 mg. daily/Vitamin D3 2,400 iu daily/K2 (MK7) 100 mcg daily (osteopenia and fam. hist. of severe osteoporosis). Stress B Complex (1/2 dose)/Quercetin (for allergies/asthma)/Magnesium (400 mg. oral glycinate and about 50 mg. magnesium chloride spray oil a day, divided throughout day).

Tapered Zoloft about 6 wks. Totally off since the end of July (25-29, 2014). 3 wks. vertigo at end of taper, then 3-4 wks. OK, followed by withdrawal symptoms increasing in severity (nausea, gastric disturbances, loss of appetite, insomnia, restlessness, jitters, anxiety, agitation--jumping out of my skin--possible akathisia?) Seem to have paradoxical reactions to everything new, even Vitamin C. Severity of akathisia comes and goes, but is constant to some degree. Hard to leave house, and cannot be home alone. (Retired)

gee I'm no good on this web site have no idea how to work it arghhhh 

Ok, it is basically this: tell us about yourself in your topic here by posting new posts in it. Go to the end of the page and just start typing your info in the blank window and then hit 'post'.

Fill out a signature (see my sig for info).

People will post things here in response to what you write or try to answer your questions.

There is only one topic to a person in the Intro forum so every time you start a new topic here we will just move it back to your thread so please don't do this.

Are you viewing this site on a phone? Post your reply in the empty box below my message.

Keep reading other areas of the site, you'll soon get the hang of it!

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• 4 weeks later...

Mitch, I am commenting on your thread again to bump it up to the top, where you can find it easier!

• 4 months later...

Mitch has been having a really tough time, but I'll let him tell you about that, if he so chooses. He has had some trouble negotiating the site and really could use our help right now, so I am "bumping" his thread back up again, where he can find it! ((Hugs))

Someone please help! I am trying to get help for my friend, Mitch. I will relay what I know. Mitch has been off Zoloft for 11 months. I "met" him on the Zoloft FB page. He had been having brain zaps 24/7 since being off.

A couple of weeks ago, a doctor put him on 10 mg. Lexapro (tried to put him on 20 mg.) It made him suicidal, and he attempted to OD. He is now in a psych ward in Australia, where his sister is insisting he stay, because he "needs to be on medication".

I don't know all the details. He is able to communicate, but is getting worse--still obviously suicidal--and does not know where to turn. Can anyone give me any advice I can relay on to him. He has had problems negotiating this site since he joined, and it would be much worse now.

Please help!

• Administrator

Since mitch is in the hospital and can't join the conversation, it's hard to make any suggestions.

He might do better with a very low dose of Zoloft rather than Lexapro, or a lower dose of Lexapro. Can he request they cut his Lexapro dosage to 5mg, or switch to 12.5mg Zoloft?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Thank you for responding, Alto. I know it is a difficult situation. Since I posted this, I found out the first dose of Lexapro they put him on was 20 mg. He developed akathisia, and states they had to "medicate" him to calm him down. Apparently the akathisia has not returned, but I'm actually wondering if it was at this point he tried to OD and ended up in the hospital. I will relay your suggestions on to him. I was hoping he could get them to do just that--cut the Lexapro dose in half. Instead, they upped it yesterday to 15 mg., and I have not heard from him since. I know he was beside himself at the time he took it :( Idiot doctors. I'm afraid he had a repeat of what happened on the 20 mg.

• Administrator

There's not much I can add in this situation. As long as he keeps complaining, they will continue to add drugs.

Agreed. Thank you for your input!

• 1 month later...

RIP, Mitch :(

What?

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

I'm so so sorry :(

I suffer from depression, anxiety, pure-o ocd, and panic attacks since 2004. Been on multiple different psychiatric drugs since 2006. Never had a significant WD problem before, only brain zaps for a month and then I'd be fine...............Been on Cipralex (escitalopram) 15 mg and Fluanxol (flupentixol) 1 mg since Sep 2014. Stopped taking the Cipralex after a fast 20-day taper.Took the last 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 5th, 2015. Then took Seroxat (paroxetine) 10 mg for a week, and stopped it too. Severe WD started suddenly on Feb 16th. RI 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 18th, 2015. RI worked and was relatively stable for a while................April 7 - decreased Fluanxol from 1 mg to 0.5 mg and took it at this dose for a week. - BIG MISTAKE; April 13 - WD starts creeping in; April 14 - RI full dose of Fluanxol 1 mg => severe muscle twitching and jerking when trying to relax and fall asleep, overwhelming sense of doom, dread, terror, and horror, insomnia, hoping to stabilize.
Tried doing a 10% cut off Fluanxol in the end of May for a few days, but quickly updosed to full dose because the twitching returned.
Experiencing waves and windows in the following months.
Unsuccessful brief taper attempt of Fluanxol by 5% on November 1st. Symptoms hit the next day. Too scared to continue tapering, reinstate full dose.
Severe crash in November after stupidly trying a barbiturate on November 9th. Grave mistake. Sense of unshakable inescapable internal torture, like my soul is in hell being tortured, terror/horror/dread/doom (probably akathisia?) that gets especially bad when trying to relax and fall asleep, muscles twitch, jerk and move on their own, shaking, insomnia, can't eat, confusion, disorientation, brain not working normally. Never felt so bad in my entire life. Never experiment with other meds while in WD! Praying to God I stabilize and get back to my baseline.
December - things getting even worse.

January - unbearable suffering

:( :(

I'm sorry I didn't get to know you Mitch, and offer a helping hand in your hour of need. I'm sorry you were so severely damaged by the drugs and the doctors. I'm sorry the system failed you. I wish there was something I could do. I will pray for your soul and hope you have a safe journey to Heaven, where you will be with God, happy, healthy, and not suffer and hurt anymore. Rest in peace my friend. 

I suffer from depression, anxiety, pure-o ocd, and panic attacks since 2004. Been on multiple different psychiatric drugs since 2006. Never had a significant WD problem before, only brain zaps for a month and then I'd be fine...............Been on Cipralex (escitalopram) 15 mg and Fluanxol (flupentixol) 1 mg since Sep 2014. Stopped taking the Cipralex after a fast 20-day taper.Took the last 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 5th, 2015. Then took Seroxat (paroxetine) 10 mg for a week, and stopped it too. Severe WD started suddenly on Feb 16th. RI 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 18th, 2015. RI worked and was relatively stable for a while................April 7 - decreased Fluanxol from 1 mg to 0.5 mg and took it at this dose for a week. - BIG MISTAKE; April 13 - WD starts creeping in; April 14 - RI full dose of Fluanxol 1 mg => severe muscle twitching and jerking when trying to relax and fall asleep, overwhelming sense of doom, dread, terror, and horror, insomnia, hoping to stabilize.
Tried doing a 10% cut off Fluanxol in the end of May for a few days, but quickly updosed to full dose because the twitching returned.
Experiencing waves and windows in the following months.
Unsuccessful brief taper attempt of Fluanxol by 5% on November 1st. Symptoms hit the next day. Too scared to continue tapering, reinstate full dose.
Severe crash in November after stupidly trying a barbiturate on November 9th. Grave mistake. Sense of unshakable inescapable internal torture, like my soul is in hell being tortured, terror/horror/dread/doom (probably akathisia?) that gets especially bad when trying to relax and fall asleep, muscles twitch, jerk and move on their own, shaking, insomnia, can't eat, confusion, disorientation, brain not working normally. Never felt so bad in my entire life. Never experiment with other meds while in WD! Praying to God I stabilize and get back to my baseline.
December - things getting even worse.

January - unbearable suffering

So sad. A preventable tragedy..

I cannot believe the docs don't know what they are doing to people.

Rest in peace, Mitch.

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

So sad and sorry he was in that place because of prescribed meds. He was a good guy. So beautiful.

Gone too soon but now at peace.

2008 - Doctors appointment with stress induced anxiety led to Citalopram prescription.

Severe adverse reaction

Mirtazapine prescribed - adverse reaction but told to stay on.

Poop out - December 2013

15mg

Currently on 13.5mg,

April 12mg

May 10th - 11mg

June 10th - 10mg

July 8th - 9mg

September - 0mg

What age was he?

Very sad news R.I.P

Sertraline 100mg amytrip 60mg diazepam 4mg (and when needed) since late 90's.Reduced all meds over 6 wks (too short) last doses 13 wks ago.Still having withdrawals.I would have done it differently

5th august 2015 reinstated 5mg amytripiline.increased to 10mg amtrip 9th sept 2015.

He was my Facebook friend, oskcajga. I met him on the Zoloft page when I first came on there 11 months ago looking for withdrawal help. There was no help to be found, but Mitch had discontinued Zoloft 2 weeks before I had. Cold turkey--on the advice of his doctor (after being on for 12 years). This thread is very short, as unfortunately he never got the hang of using this site. It pretty much tells the story. We communicated through Facebook. There were others on here who knew him, and I had spoken of him--asking for prayers, and trying to figure out how to help him. Please be nice. I wouldn't have posted it if it were not true. I can certainly give more details, but I do not think it appropriate.

L&L--Just a guess, but I would say mid 30's possibly. Could have been a bit older, as he had elderly parents, but he certainly did not look like it to me.

• Administrator

Very sad. I am very sorry we could not help Mitch.

He was my Facebook friend, oskcajga. I met him on the Zoloft page when I first came on there 11 months ago looking for withdrawal help. There was no help to be found, but Mitch had discontinued Zoloft 2 weeks before I had. Cold turkey--on the advice of his doctor (after being on for 12 years). This thread is very short, as unfortunately he never got the hang of using this site. It pretty much tells the story. We communicated through Facebook. There were others on here who knew him, and I had spoken of him--asking for prayers, and trying to figure out how to help him. Please be nice. I wouldn't have posted it if it were not true. I can certainly give more details, but I do not think it appropriate.

No need, I believe you.

Very sorry to hear about this news.

Thank you, Alto. We tried. It was the medical system that failed him in the end :(

Thank you, oskcajga.

I am so sorry for Mitch, for his family, for you Luv2knit, and for all of us who never got to know this young man .

How great his suffering must have been.

Rest in peace in the arms of Jesus, Mitch.

RB

**I started taking Zoloft 100 mg. in 1996 for a panic disorder with agoraphobia and depression, which worsened after a car accident. I have had these symptoms since age 11 .

** In September 2009 , the Zoloft was upped to 150 mg and .5 mg Xanax was added as needed for extreme anxiety due to my Father's illness and death from cancer. Successfully tapered off the Xanax in November 2009.

** I started my Zoloft taper in September 2011,and,in July 2012, reached 75 mgs.(went to 68.5 mgs,but went back up to 75mgs due to withdrawal related depression /anxiety symptoms .

** I started tapering again in September 2014 ,and, as of December,2014, I was holding at 50 mgs. Zoloft until February,2015, when I tapered in two cuts to 37.5 mgs. Due to protracted withdrawal symptoms, have up dosed to 50 mgs. Zoloft on 5/18/2015 and holding there.

**Also started .25 mgs xanax at bedtime in September,2015, due to alerting/jolting awake/anxiety and not sleeping because of heart related issues,now resolved.I tapered completely off in Oct. 2015 (too fast ) had withdrawal symptoms and updosed to .12 mgs Xanax once a night.

** After dry cutting till I couldn't do it accurately, I have been on compounded doses. Am on 0.069 mgs compounded Xanax as of  6/21/17 once per night, as prescribed by my Doctor.

This is medical care..poor Mitch and his parents. What a shame.

Thank you, RB. Yes, L&L... Very poor "care". Clearly they didn't care at all.