• Moderator Emeritus

That's really good to hear.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

Glad to hear it.  You dodged a bullet.  Please read the links provided and others on the site to learn more about withdrawal and how to taper well to minimise the risks.

cheers

Dalsaan

I started reading some last night and feel horrified to say the least!

1998 Brain injury causing short term memory issues and PTSD

2012 - late December 2014: Lexapro 20mg for mood swings. Adderall 30mg for focus and memory issues.

I take Adderall as soon as I wake every morning, on an empty stomach with a glass of alkaline water.

I take Lexapro a couple of hours after the Adderal. Usually with some food. Always with alkaline water.

Every couple of months I'll take a one week break from the Adderall to reduce immunity.

Mid December 2014 I quit Lexapro ( not Adderall ) for the first time cold turkey attempt.

Ambien 10mg for sleep when needed - not consistant with needing to use it. Jan 9th 2 x Ambien. Knocked me out.

Jan 12 back on 10mg Lexapro after I started to experiance delayed WD. Actually I was suffering WD befor this date but I didn't know that the symptoms were related to me stopping the use of the Lexapro. 1 x 10mg ambien.

Jan 13 already MUCH better - until I had a beer. NO Adderall today.

Jan 14th half cc injectable B12 in my shoulder muscle. NO Adderall today. I feel great... Will reduce ambien to 5mg.

Back on regular med sehedile of 30mg Adderall in am, 2 hours later 10mg Lexapro.

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes you need to manage the reading a bit, get informed not terrified!   

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

Glad to hear it. You dodged a bullet. Please read the links provided and others on the site to learn more about withdrawal and how to taper well to minimise the risks.

cheers

Dalsaan

You don't need to be scared. You have seriously dodged a bullet. Chances are, you will not experience the severity of symptoms evidenced on this site. Be glad for that. As I have said earlier, some of us didn't make it here in time.

Don't be scared. You are at a pretty admirable place. I would trade ya in a second! :)

It will be ok. It is overwhelming at first, but you will do great!!

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

Yes AGREED. I thought I had done enough reaserch until things got desperate... Then I found this site thankfully.

2012 - late December 2014: Lexapro 20mg for mood swings. Adderall 30mg for focus and memory issues.

I take Adderall as soon as I wake every morning, on an empty stomach with a glass of alkaline water.

I take Lexapro a couple of hours after the Adderal. Usually with some food. Always with alkaline water.

Every couple of months I'll take a one week break from the Adderall to reduce immunity.

Mid December 2014 I quit Lexapro ( not Adderall ) for the first time cold turkey attempt.

Ambien 10mg for sleep when needed - not consistant with needing to use it. Jan 9th 2 x Ambien. Knocked me out.

Jan 12 back on 10mg Lexapro after I started to experiance delayed WD. Actually I was suffering WD befor this date but I didn't know that the symptoms were related to me stopping the use of the Lexapro. 1 x 10mg ambien.

Jan 14th half cc injectable B12 in my shoulder muscle. NO Adderall today. I feel great... Will reduce ambien to 5mg.

Back on regular med sehedile of 30mg Adderall in am, 2 hours later 10mg Lexapro.

Glad to hear it. You dodged a bullet. Please read the links provided and others on the site to learn more about withdrawal and how to taper well to minimise the risks.

cheers

Dalsaan

You don't need to be scared. You have seriously dodged a bullet. Chances are, you will not experience the severity of symptoms evidenced on this site. Be glad for that. As I have said earlier, some of us didn't make it here in time.

Don't be scared. You are at a pretty admirable place. I would trade ya in a second! :)

Aww thank you. Today was so much better. But I have noticed that I'm not reacting well to alcohol! I love to have a drink at the end of the day but I've noticed - even today, that the W/D symptoms are heightened after one drink.

I wanted to quit Lexapro - not beer! Now I'm going to have to quit beer and stay on Lexapro, lol! My liver will be pleased!!

Yes, good advice. ... ...

• Moderator Emeritus

Many of us have found that we can no longer tolerate alcohol.  I think most people can drink again once they are fully recovered.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Welcome Chipper,

Thank you for joining and posing an introduction, I'm glad you found us when you did.

From reading your first post, it looks like you stopped taking 20mg of Lexapro 2 weeks ago.  This is not a good idea and it looks like you are already experiencing some significant withdrawal symptoms, there is no guarantee they will go away any time soon.

Many of us are here because we came off these drugs the wrong way, while believing we were doing it right.  Sadly, most doctors don’t have a clue and often advise tapers which are too fast,  or just stopping, and that leads patients to going back on the drug because of a ‘relapse’,  which is actually withdrawal.

See: What to expect from my doctor

We suggest reducing by no more than 10% of the current dose every 4 weeks, this reduces the risk of withdrawal symptoms arising.  Please read through this link which will explain why:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?  (The general philosophy of gradual tapering)

Reinstatement of a small amount of the drug can often work well to alleviate withdrawal symptoms.  According to medical knowledge, reinstatement is the only way to alleviate withdrawal symptoms.  Reinstatement is best done immediately upon appearance of withdrawal symptoms. The more time that passes, the less likely it is to work.  Here is some information about reinstatement to help you decide if its something you would like to try:

http://survivinganti...rawal-symptoms/

I strongly suggest you immediately reinstate 10mg of lexapro and spend some time learning about how these drugs work, withdrawal and how to taper safely.  When you have stabilized, you could then begin a safe taper.  Here are our tips for tapering off Lexapro:

Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram)http://survivinganti...o-escitalopram/

Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature.  Putting a short version of your drug and tapering history in your signature helps people understand your context, it appears below each of your posts.  Here are instructions for how to do it:

http://survivinganti...your-signature/

I think its great that you want to come off your medication, you are probably right that you don't need it, but please give yourself the opportunity to come off it safely and permanently.

You will find a lot of friendly help and support here, please stay in touch, ask any questions you may have and let us know what you decide.

I'm looking at your history and you say that you can't tolerate certain foods or liquads. Is this still the case for you or was it just for a short while? I ask because I'm going through that same thing right now.

Petu.

Just adding my experience Chipper.  Alcohol was not good for me for a long time, but now I'm pretty good with it.   I am so glad you found this site in time :)

Put on Prothiaden for severe depression in 1989.  Recovered.   Prescribed Paxil for another bout of depression around 2000.   Have been trying to taper ever since but always crash about 2 months after getting to zero.   Because of the crashes, for years I thought that there was something wrong with me.   Then found that the crashes were simply withdrawal.   Now following a maximum of a 10% reduction every month or so and ready to slow down any time I feel any symptoms whatsoever.  Feeling good:).

7th Jan 15 - 3.6mg

28th Jan 15 - 3.2mg

Awww Chipper you darling darling person! I read your opening thread and the bit here you described how life wash changing and you didn't need the drug anymore... And I'm thinking noooooooo not cold turkey?! Oh dear. The thing, as you've just discovered like so very many of us do, is that we don't just 'give up' these drugs, we have to convince them slowly and subtly to 'let' us go :)

Ummmm, from big city US to parochial small town NZ, that's quite a move! :)

Drug history

• 20mg paxil in 2001 - 4 months use  
  • 20mg paxil in 2003 - 2 months use 
  • 20mg paxil in 2008 - 8 years continuous

Withdrawal history:

• March 2014 - disastrous alternate day taper
  • Jan 2015 - 15mg to 10mg. Disaster
  • Sept 2015 -  10mg to 5mg. Disaster. Reinstated to 6mg. Relief
  • Oct 2015 - started slow 10% taper 
  • Oct 2016 - at 4mg- stop taking paxil (not recommended)

I'm not a medical professional. Seek advice from a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

cheers

Dalsaan

I'm so thankful for the support here. I guess what I meant by being scared was this: I've been through A LOT in my life. Much more than most. I've been kidnapped, beaten, left with a brain injury and have pretty bad PTSD with panic attacks and the works. I was addicted to herion for a couple of years on and off - but now clean for MANY years and never have an issue with ever wanting to go back to THAT life. I have hep C ( had it for aprox 17 years ) but have still continued to party like a rock star ( until recently ) and still love to have a drink or two every day. It's amazing to me that my blood work looks so good! I had blood taken just befor I decided to go cold turkey and it looks great - well, one kidney doesn't look so good but I have 2 right?

Thankfully I've always been a positive and up-beat person and even though I've had s*** happen to me in life, I've also had many more great and amazing things come my way. With all that being said, this very short period of Lexapro withdrawal really did frighten the c*** out of me. The though of being left permintly with any of the weird symptions is horrifying. While I feel blessed ( thank you universe ) for dodging a bullett, I'm feel so sorry for those of you that have to live with some of those symptions. I'm a wee bit gob smacked right now. You can read about this stuff and reaserch it but it's not until you experience it first had that you really understand the servility of it all.

Thank you all again.

Welcome Chipper,

Thank you for joining and posing an introduction, I'm glad you found us when you did.

From reading your first post, it looks like you stopped taking 20mg of Lexapro 2 weeks ago.  This is not a good idea and it looks like you are already experiencing some significant withdrawal symptoms, there is no guarantee they will go away any time soon.

Many of us are here because we came off these drugs the wrong way, while believing we were doing it right.  Sadly, most doctors don’t have a clue and often advise tapers which are too fast,  or just stopping, and that leads patients to going back on the drug because of a ‘relapse’,  which is actually withdrawal.

See: What to expect from my doctor

We suggest reducing by no more than 10% of the current dose every 4 weeks, this reduces the risk of withdrawal symptoms arising.  Please read through this link which will explain why:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?  (The general philosophy of gradual tapering)

Reinstatement of a small amount of the drug can often work well to alleviate withdrawal symptoms.  According to medical knowledge, reinstatement is the only way to alleviate withdrawal symptoms.  Reinstatement is best done immediately upon appearance of withdrawal symptoms. The more time that passes, the less likely it is to work.  Here is some information about reinstatement to help you decide if its something you would like to try:

http://survivinganti...rawal-symptoms/

I strongly suggest you immediately reinstate 10mg of lexapro and spend some time learning about how these drugs work, withdrawal and how to taper safely.  When you have stabilized, you could then begin a safe taper.  Here are our tips for tapering off Lexapro:

Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram)http://survivinganti...o-escitalopram/

Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature.  Putting a short version of your drug and tapering history in your signature helps people understand your context, it appears below each of your posts.  Here are instructions for how to do it:

http://survivinganti...your-signature/

I think its great that you want to come off your medication, you are probably right that you don't need it, but please give yourself the opportunity to come off it safely and permanently.

You will find a lot of friendly help and support here, please stay in touch, ask any questions you may have and let us know what you decide.

Petu.

Awww Chipper you darling darling person! I read your opening thread and the bit here you described how life wash changing and you didn't need the drug anymore... And I'm thinking noooooooo not cold turkey?! Oh dear. The thing, as you've just discovered like so very many of us do, is that we don't just 'give up' these drugs, we have to convince them slowly and subtly to 'let' us go :)

Ummmm, from big city US to parochial small town NZ, that's quite a move! :)

Thank you for your comment. I am taking the advice of people on this site very seriously and will reduce at a very slow rate - once my poor body levels out as I just started back on 10mg Lexapro per day as of Jan 12 th.

Lol @your last comment about moving back to a small town after the big city life in USA. Apparently I love dramatic change in my life! Haha, thankfully I addapy easily and very well to whatever and where ever I am .

Excellent :) busting to know where you're moving to and why, but totally understand if you'd rather not say xxx

Drug history

• 20mg paxil in 2001 - 4 months use  
  • 20mg paxil in 2003 - 2 months use 
  • 20mg paxil in 2008 - 8 years continuous

Withdrawal history:

• March 2014 - disastrous alternate day taper
  • Jan 2015 - 15mg to 10mg. Disaster
  • Sept 2015 -  10mg to 5mg. Disaster. Reinstated to 6mg. Relief
  • Oct 2015 - started slow 10% taper 
  • Oct 2016 - at 4mg- stop taking paxil (not recommended)

I'm not a medical professional. Seek advice from a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Chipper, I am so glad that you did your research and found us! There is no need to be scared, you will not get

the same horrific symptoms if you taper slowly, listen to your body and respect what it is telling you. It it shouts

at you that it doesn't want a drink thank you very much, don't pour one down it's poor throat  ;). If it tells you that

it doesn't feel very well after you make a cut, cut smaller next time, or wait longer. Listen, learn and you will be

successful. Keep us updated on how it is going for you, I hope you stabilise soon, but when you do feel stable, 

hold a while before starting your taper.It's good to have you  :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Excellent :) busting to know where you're moving to and why, but totally understand if you'd rather not say xxx

Hi Molly. I'm smiling and laughing right now. I just returned from the dentist here in Las Vegas and everyone there was saying to me, " why would you want to live here in USA? Why would you ever leave New Zealand". People over here don't understand I guess. But it's time for me to return to my home land in the missile of the South Island ...

Hi Molly! I posted a comment below that gives some details. I'm reading your history and TOTALLY get the, " not wanting to be the moody crazy person". My only reason for going on Lexapro in the first place was to try to stabilize my PMSing mood swings.

Hi Chipper, I am so glad that you did your research and found us! There is no need to be scared, you will not get

the same horrific symptoms if you taper slowly, listen to your body and respect what it is telling you. It it shouts

at you that it doesn't want a drink thank you very much, don't pour one down it's poor throat  ;). If it tells you that

it doesn't feel very well after you make a cut, cut smaller next time, or wait longer. Listen, learn and you will be

successful. Keep us updated on how it is going for you, I hope you stabilise soon, but when you do feel stable, 

hold a while before starting your taper.It's good to have you  :)

LMAO! Haha, yup, I'm sure this is a blessing in many ways as I really do need a long over due break from deer and wine . But seriously, what you say makes perfect sense. Cheers mate!

Apparently I'm doing something right. Last night I took a 10mg ambian to guarantee a good night sleep. I've been doing this for the last few nights but still wake up at around 5am wide eyed and bushy tailed. This morning I slep like a log until 8am -yea! So I'll cut back to 5mg of ambien tonight. When I woke up I gave myself half a cc of injectable B12 and didn't take my Adderall. I went out for a bike with Reggie blasting through my head phones and hours later I still feel AMAZE! Yea! I'm going to continue on the 10mg of Lexapro per day for a month so my body can recover a little from the shock of my CT attempt!

You guys rock! Have a blessed day

That's really good to hear.

This question is more for those of you who are in New Zealand. Does anyone know if I can get all of my Meds through a GP when I arrive there? I'm an NZ citizen....

Apparently I'm doing something right. Last night I took a 10mg ambian to guarantee a good night sleep. I've been doing this for the last few nights but still wake up at around 5am wide eyed and bushy tailed. This morning I slep like a log until 8am -yea! So I'll cut back to 5mg of ambien tonight. When I woke up I gave myself half a cc of injectable B12 and didn't take my Adderall...

I'm so glad you're feeling better.

I wasn't aware that you were taking Adderall. Could you add to your signature a list of all medications and supplements you currently take, and when you take them (daily or any other regular schedule, as needed only, or any other dosing schedule)? Then list any changes you've made recently or make now and in the future. Sometimes such things are important.

I was "TryingToGetWell" (aka TTGW) on paxilprogress. I also was one of the original members here on Surviving Antidepressants

I had horrific and protracted withdrawal from paxil, but now am back to enjoying life with enthusiasm to the max, some residual physical symptoms continued but largely improve. The horror, severe derealization, anhedonia, akathisia, and so much more, are long over.

My signature is a temporary scribble from year 2013. I'll rewrite it when I can.

If you want to read it, click on http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/209-brandy-anyone/?p=110343

Apparently I'm doing something right. Last night I took a 10mg ambian to guarantee a good night sleep. I've been doing this for the last few nights but still wake up at around 5am wide eyed and bushy tailed. This morning I slep like a log until 8am -yea! So I'll cut back to 5mg of ambien tonight. When I woke up I gave myself half a cc of injectable B12 and didn't take my Adderall...

I wasn't aware that you were taking Adderall. Could you add to your signature a list of all medications and supplements you currently take, and when you take them (daily or any other regular schedule, as needed only, or any other dosing schedule)? Then list any changes you've made recently or make now and in the future. Sometimes such things are important.

Hello Brandy :). Hey I thought I did update my signiture? Can you see it. If so please advise me on any changes that you'd like to see.

Hello Brandy :). Hey I thought I did update my signiture? Can you see it. If so please advise me on any changes that you'd like to see.

Oh, my bad... I'll make some adjustments in a min ... After I order some food ... it seems my apatite it back!

I'm so sorry! It is there. :blink: I had done a search (Ctrl+F) on both pages of your thread before posting and hadn't found it. Turned out there's an extra "r" in adderal. Search is very fussy lol!

Don't worry, I make typose and - worse - malapropisms - all the time! (I just see I made a typo in that last sentence. For once, caught it while it could still be corrected. Then decided to leave it in because it struck me as funny!)

I think the reason I hadn't recalled seeing it was because it was listed as year 2012, when you started it, and I didn't realize you were still on it. So MY bad :D - but it still might be a good idea for those of us who have been on multiple meds (my full list would crash the server lol) to add a line specific to what we're currently taking. It might be helpful for people like me who think they remember all details about all the many members of this fast-growing group, but don't always! :blush::wacko:

Sorry about that. Eat first! Glad you've got your appetite!

I was "TryingToGetWell" (aka TTGW) on paxilprogress. I also was one of the original members here on Surviving Antidepressants

I had horrific and protracted withdrawal from paxil, but now am back to enjoying life with enthusiasm to the max, some residual physical symptoms continued but largely improve. The horror, severe derealization, anhedonia, akathisia, and so much more, are long over.

My signature is a temporary scribble from year 2013. I'll rewrite it when I can.

If you want to read it, click on http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/209-brandy-anyone/?p=110343

Thank you Brandy. I just updated my signiture again.

Ok, things seem to be back to normal. I'm back on my regular med routine of 30mg Adderall in the AM. Two hours later 10mg Lexapro. Feeling normal - yea! Had a couple of beers, normal appetite. I'm lucky I guess.