pristiq2012: What to do now,need your advise and help desperately(Urgent)

pristiq2012

All,

Sorry for asking for your urgent help.

I had a history of depression,i took pristiq from june 2011 till Feb 2012 and i tapered it,after i felt i was doing fine.

Since 2012 feb until now,almost 3 years i had no issues.

Lately i am going thru some stressful period,in short i drove for 3 hrs in snow and then went to a male infertility urologist since my sperm motility is low.

After that i was asked to give a sample and i failed.I never had problems with erectile dysfunction and i guess i was fatigued or stress.

Note:Before this i had given 3 SA and never had any issues of anxiety.Life was indeed peaceful.

After i came back home,i discussed with my wife and my anxiety hit through roof.

Since that day i never tried to even check if i could get erect,since i am very anxious.

I am having burning sensation in legs and hands,i was wondering if i should take GABA or Klonopin or just let this phase pass.

Some times i am like ok i failed 1 out of 4 tests could be due to fatigue and i forget the episode.

Other times i am very anxious about my next SA scheduled for this saturday.

Please Help,exercised helped me calm down,i also took a melatonin and woke up refreshed.

How do i get this thing out of my mind,i am a pessimistic person.

Hi Pristiq,

I'm a woman so don't know much about erectile dysfunction lol, but the burning sensations you are experiencing do sound similar to WD. But three years is a long time with no issues, and now they appear. It does not make sense in my mind.

I am not experienced enough to give advice or recommendations here, wait for one of the moderators to get back to you, or someone else here (male hopefully), who might be able to advise you further.

You say you are an anxious and pessimistic person, and this could easily be making it worse with over worry.

Just wanted to say hello and that you are being heard.

I wish you all of the very best.

steeley

Prescribed 30mg Mirtazapine approximately 10 years ago.  PTSD 

C/T 50% of dose - dreadful, hellish

Begin to reduce by 10% every 3-6 weeks

now:

5.11.14 4.50mg - going to wait a bit longer

Hi Pristiq,

I'm a woman so don't know much about erectile dysfunction lol, but the burning sensations you are experiencing do sound similar to WD. But three years is a long time with no issues, and now they appear. It does not make sense in my mind.

I am not experienced enough to give advice or recommendations here, wait for one of the moderators to get back to you, or someone else here (male hopefully), who might be able to advise you further.

You say you are an anxious and pessimistic person, and this could easily be making it worse with over worry.

Just wanted to say hello and that you are being heard.

I wish you all of the very best.

steeley

Thanks Steeley.

Yes,its just a vicious circle,and how one thing lead to another and now i have this performance anxiety.

Hope it goes away some how,when i wake up tomorrow.

All,

Sorry for asking for your urgent help.

I had a history of depression,i took pristiq from june 2011 till Feb 2012 and i tapered it,after i felt i was doing fine.

Since 2012 feb until now,almost 3 years i had no issues.

Lately i am going thru some stressful period,in short i drove for 3 hrs in snow and then went to a male infertility urologist since my sperm motility is low.

After that i was asked to give a sample and i failed.I never had problems with erectile dysfunction and i guess i was fatigued or stress.

Note:Before this i had given 3 SA and never had any issues of anxiety.Life was indeed peaceful.

After i came back home,i discussed with my wife and my anxiety hit through roof.

Since that day i never tried to even check if i could get erect,since i am very anxious.

I am having burning sensation in legs and hands,i was wondering if i should take GABA or Klonopin or just let this phase pass.

Some times i am like ok i failed 1 out of 4 tests could be due to fatigue and i forget the episode.

Other times i am very anxious about my next SA scheduled for this saturday.

Please Help,exercised helped me calm down,i also took a melatonin and woke up refreshed.

How do i get this thing out of my mind,i am a pessimistic person.

Hi Pristiq,

Again, I am a woman so can't advise from personal experience, but failure to get an erection or maintain it is pretty common amongst men during periods of stress and nothing to be overly concerned about in itself.

A bigger issue may be avoiding that situation again. Avoidance reinforces negative beliefs and increases anxiety.

Have you tried working on your negative thinking patterns with mindfulness or therapy for example? I would say that this would be more helpful to you than medicating feelings that need to be expressed and resolved. Treating symptoms never really addresses the underlying cause.

Tilly

1999 - 2004 Paroxetine 20mg  -> 2004 - 2007 Citalopram 20mg -> 2007 -  short term Trazedone use (insomnia) -> 2007 - 2009 Fluoxetine 20mg  ->

2009 - Jan 2012 Citalopram 20mg  (Spring / Summer 2012 protracted withdrawal & related agoraphobia) -> 2012 - September Restarted Citalopram - unbearable start up effects. Discontinued in under 1 week -> Oct 12 -   October 2014 Escitalopram - 10mg prescribed. Started on 5mg and worked up to 10mg in 2.5mg increments  -> Oct 2014  - 5mg; 30/03/15 2.5mg; 15/04/15 3.5mg; 20/05/15 2.9mg;  19/09/15 2.8mg; 30/10/15 2.7mg; 13/11/15 2.6mg. Holding until March.

Diet:  mostly pescatarianl & lots of veg. Weekly offal for b vitamins.  Turmeric, nigella seeds, avocados, apple cider vinegar, coconut products daily. Lots of fluids: water, lemon juice, coconut water, herbal & green tea (decaffeinated).

Supplements: vitamin C 4000mg, Omega 3 fish oil - high DPA & EHA, vitamin E 400iu, vitamin D3 5000mg (Winter only - from sun in Spring / Summer), probiotics.

Current Symptoms: chronic fatigue, erratic sleep, extreme photophobia, eye floaters, noise sensitivity, tinnitus, cognitive & speech difficulties, dizziness, irregular gait, poor co ordination, severe facial and upper body muscle tension, head and neck pressure.

Coping Strategies: good nutrition, cooking, gardening & growing my own food, cycling, dancing, yoga, photography, sewing & creative pursuits, self massage, pampering, meditation, journalling, nature, cuddling cats & humans, laughter & humour, gratitude, self care, aromatherapy, audio books, word games & believing in myself, my potential and my future.

"Everything I need is within me" - Shakti Gawain

Hello pristiq2012,

We do not give recommendations on taking any drugs here (you asked about GABA or klonopin) and since you are 3 years out from any antidepressant use, I am not sure how we can help you here. Since we have no drug recommendations, what else do you think we might be able to help you with? Overcoming performance anxiety is out of the scope of our help. We also cannot help with your issues of  'pessimism' and 'getting something out of your mind' per se, but a lot of our members have had these issues coming off antidepressants. Have you looked at our Symptoms and Self Care forum to see what our members recommend for non-drug alternatives to coping with these sorts of things?

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Pristiq2012, welcome to SA. It does sound like you have been very stressed which could be the

cause of your symptoms. Withdrawal causes PSSD but is usually soon after stopping.

I would avoid any more drugs, they cause more problems than they solve! 

We have a section on non drug ways of dealing with emotional problems and anxiety, and also a PSSD topic (post ssri

sexual dysfunction)   that you may find interesting. I do know that worrying about erectile dysfunction causes it and it

becomes a vicious cycle. There are many causes and stress is one of the main causes. 

PSSD topic

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/52-post-ssri-sexual-dysfunction-pssd/

Non drug ways of coping with emotional problems. http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1112-non-drug-techniques-to-cope-with-emotional-symptoms/

I have no idea what the burning could be, it is obviously neurological but I have no knowledge or experience with that,

maybe you should see your doctor to check it out.

Have you been taking any other medication? Anything at all, over the counter or supplements included?

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Everyone thanks for your reply.

This is what i did,i took some magnesium for 2 days and hurray my severe anxiety for that episode cured.

For next 2-3 days,i didnt get morning wood.

For last 2 days i got morning wood as well.

Looks like if i relax,body does wonders.

I am still waiting for libido and sensitivity to come back in full flow.

I have been eating healthy and getting adequate sleep and some exercise.

• Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like you're on the right track   Pristiq2012.    I've found the occasional 1.5mg melatonin helpful to break an escalating cycle too.

Relaxation / meditation cd's could be helpful for you.    Definitely worth a try.

Best wishes ,    Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Administrator

Welcome, pristiq2012.

It does indeed sound like your concern about fertility made you very anxious.

Many people find fish oil and magnesium supplements are calming, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

I would take them regularly.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.