SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Moonlitelotus: introduction/body zaps/questions

Moonlitelotus

Also, thank you direstraits for your kind support! :) I wish you the best.

I started out on zoloft 50 mg or 20mg (can't remember at that point) and was on it for a few months then decided I didn't want to take it because of the side effects so I cold turkey'd it and then was miserable and reinstated and all my symptoms went away and I felt normal. Stayed on it for a while tried lexapro 5mg for a month or two instead to see if I had less side effects. Then switched back to zoloft 20mg I think and weaned down to 6mg and jumped off too soon because it supposedly wasn't a "therapeutic dose" and was told it would be ok. Then I was going through withdrawal again so I reinstated again after about a month I switched to prozac because it's easier to wean off of supposedly. Weaned off over 9 month from 8mg Prozac. Then two months after stopping it on September 2, 2014. I went into withdrawal.

18 months off as of March 2, 2016

Please?

I started out on zoloft 50 mg or 20mg (can't remember at that point) and was on it for a few months then decided I didn't want to take it because of the side effects so I cold turkey'd it and then was miserable and reinstated and all my symptoms went away and I felt normal. Stayed on it for a while tried lexapro 5mg for a month or two instead to see if I had less side effects. Then switched back to zoloft 20mg I think and weaned down to 6mg and jumped off too soon because it supposedly wasn't a "therapeutic dose" and was told it would be ok. Then I was going through withdrawal again so I reinstated again after about a month I switched to prozac because it's easier to wean off of supposedly. Weaned off over 9 month from 8mg Prozac. Then two months after stopping it on September 2, 2014. I went into withdrawal.

• Moderator Emeritus

Have you seen these:

Brain Remodelling

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

And from:  What is Happening in Your Brain

"Basically- you have a building where the MAJOR streel structures are [...] to be rebuilt at different times - ALL while people are coming and going in the building and attempting to work.

It would be like if the World Trade Center Towers hadn't completely fallen - but had crumbled inside in different places.. Imagine if you were [...] to rebuild the tower - WHILE people were coming and going and [...] to work in the building!  You'd have to set up a temporary elevator - but when you needed to fix part of that area, you'd have to tear down that elevator and set up a temporary elevator somewhere else. And so on. You'd have to build, work around, then tear down, then build again, then work around, then build... ALL while people are coming and going, ALL while the furniture is being replaced, ALL while the walls are getting repainted... ALL while [...] is going on INSIDE the building. No doubt it would be chaotic. That is EXACTLY what is happening with windows and waves.  The windows are where the body has "got it right" for a day or so - but then the building shifts and the brain works on something else - and it's chaos again while another temporary pathway is set up to reroute function until repairs are made.

And just like the Twin Towers- it's possible - but the buiding is a major effort -and it takes a good year or more sometimes. smiley.gif"

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 1 month later...

Hey, I just wanted to announce on my thread for anyone that reads it that I have come out of the wave/setback I was in recently. I have great news. Although I am not fully healed yet I am definitely healing and noticing improvements. I am 32 months off now and I am way better than I was when this all started. Just recently I've noticed I am able to start working out again. I started to test the waters with working out starting in November off and on. Now I am able to do some sort of physical activity every day without getting sick. I still listen to my body though and push my self a little but not too much. There's a balance that needs to be kept still even though I'm feeling up to more challenges. Some days I can run like the other day I ran 4 miles for the first time since withdrawal started and (damn it felt good lol) but I give myself rest days or if I ran the day before I will only walk the next day just to give my nervous system a break. I've been able to drive my car again too. I have driven off and on in withdrawal in windows but it's been 8 or 9 months since I last drove really. I'm noticing symptoms are way less intense and some are gone. The most annoying ones are still hanging out popping up sometimes but it's only briefly and much less intense. I don't know at this point if I will go into another wave or gradually get better or what but I do know that I am definitely getting better and healing now.

Hey, I just wanted to announce on my thread for anyone that reads it that I have come out of the wave/setback I was in recently. I have great news. Although I am not fully healed yet I am definitely healing and noticing improvements. I am 32 months off now and I am way better than I was when this all started. Just recently I've noticed I am able to start working out again. I started to test the waters with working out starting in November off and on. Now I am able to do some sort of physical activity every day without getting sick. I still listen to my body though and push my self a little but not too much. There's a balance that needs to be kept still even though I'm feeling up to more challenges. Some days I can run like the other day I ran 4 miles for the first time since withdrawal started and (damn it felt good lol) but I give myself rest days or if I ran the day before I will only walk the next day just to give my nervous system a break. I've been able to drive my car again too. I have driven off and on in withdrawal in windows but it's been 8 or 9 months since I last drove really. I'm noticing symptoms are way less intense and some are gone. The most annoying ones are still hanging out popping up sometimes but it's only briefly and much less intense. I don't know at this point if I will go into another wave or gradually get better or what but I do know that I am definitely getting better and healing now.

Glad you are feeling better, Moon! I've ready through the last couple of pages of your thread. You were having a tough time. Celebrate that you have come through it. Just go slowly. Do not overdo it. I am new at all of this, but I have found - and others have related - that in windows we can feel normal enough to return to old routines, but then our bodies reject things if we overdo them. Be mindful. The urge to be "normal" is a strong one, but caution should be our watchword.

I do hope that this is the window that becomes permanent for you!

SJ

Main thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/14472-shakeyjerr-say-hello/

History: Prozac & Lithium from 1999 to 2003. Ended up back on after 4 months because taking a beta-blocker caused immediate depression (just 2 doses - turned out I didn't even need it; I had no other withdrawal symptoms - I might have ended up med and withdrawal-free otherwise :(). - Switched to Effexor (75mg 3/day) and Seroquel (50mg 3/day) in 2010. - Did a self-taper during 2016. - Developed Discontinuation Syndrome 02/17.

Supplements: Magnesium-Glycinate 400mg split into 4 100mg doses throughout the day. Vitamin C 500mg - once per day. Fish Oil 1360 mg (950 mg Active Omega-3) - twice per day.

I'm not a doctor. I use the internet, experience, and trial & error. Seek medical advice if necessary.

Hi Moonlitelotus-- such an excellent update, I'm so happy that things are really starting to work out.  Keep pushing those boundaries but take it easy too, all things in balance.

(((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))

Brassmonkey

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Thank you guys! :)

• 1 month later...

Another update here. I am in a wave again after a 6 week window. Do we really heal from this?? Like honestly? 

sometimes I really wonder....sorry this is happening to you after such a long window...hang in there.

xoxo

went on Prozac 1994-99,60mg.poopout ct  back on 2001-2002,prozac weekly 2002,not working,Effexor 75 mg.?2003-mar.2004 gaining weight 8wk. taper,wellbutrin 150 mg.mar. -may 2004 ctmedfree til july 2005 back to Prozac gaining weight again,back on wellbutrin jan.2006150-300 mg.bad constipation.also was taking aygestin(hormone)perimenopausal irregular bleeding.back on Prozac around sept,?2006,hysterectomy jan30.2007(adenomyosis)off&on Prozac til 2009,citalopram about 1 mo, April 2010 no effect,Effexor again may -mar, 2011.ct,Prozac aug,-dec, 2011 &sept-nov 2012,paroxetine oct,23 2013-may 4 2014 20 mgs.tapered 6 wks.-failed RI in Oct.2014-in protracted WD.started 10 mgs. Fluoxetine May 25 2021 .Stopped fluoxetine May 2022 at 5 mgs.

Thank you for responding direstraits. I appreciate it. I really need to hear something positive though. How do I know I'm really healing?

are your windows getting longer and waves shorter?that's an indication that you're healing.

xo

went on Prozac 1994-99,60mg.poopout ct  back on 2001-2002,prozac weekly 2002,not working,Effexor 75 mg.?2003-mar.2004 gaining weight 8wk. taper,wellbutrin 150 mg.mar. -may 2004 ctmedfree til july 2005 back to Prozac gaining weight again,back on wellbutrin jan.2006150-300 mg.bad constipation.also was taking aygestin(hormone)perimenopausal irregular bleeding.back on Prozac around sept,?2006,hysterectomy jan30.2007(adenomyosis)off&on Prozac til 2009,citalopram about 1 mo, April 2010 no effect,Effexor again may -mar, 2011.ct,Prozac aug,-dec, 2011 &sept-nov 2012,paroxetine oct,23 2013-may 4 2014 20 mgs.tapered 6 wks.-failed RI in Oct.2014-in protracted WD.started 10 mgs. Fluoxetine May 25 2021 .Stopped fluoxetine May 2022 at 5 mgs.

Yeah I think so. My last wave was a setback though and lasted 3 months and I think getting a B12 shot triggered it. So since that monstrous wave I was in a window for about 6 weeks and it wasn't perfectly symptom free but I was high functioning and even doing things like going kayaking. I had many mostly normal days. But I'm not sure how my pattern is now. I won't know until this wave ends but before my setback my waves were lasting about a week as I recall. It almost seems like I'm fine until I reach pms time then I get thrown into a wave.

yeah,hormones play a big part in this ,too I guess although I haven't had a lot of them lately...I'm 62 and had a complete hysterectomy at 51.

never felt the same again...

I have noticed that although I'm still getting bad pms and intensified withdrawal symptoms during pms that my cycle is starting to become more regular again and the acne is very minimal. It was much worse in the beginning of withdrawal. So I guess that's good... 

• 5 months later...

Although, I am currently in a wave I thought I would update on my situation and any improvements.  It will help put things in perspective for me during this wave and hopefully give some hope to others. I am now 39 months off ADs and I am not taking anything not even vitamins. I can tolerate vitamins and supplements if I wanted to but I just don’t bother anymore with wasting my money.

I am still not working but I have had many more functional days and as time goes on I hope that eventually everyday will be functional enough for me to hold down a full time job. I still am having waves that knock me down but not as far. I am not having waves that put me in the fetal position anymore but they do make it so I have to pretty much rest the whole time and try to distract. My worst symptoms come back in waves. There are a lot of symptoms I don’t have any more but the bad ones still like to come say hi but I notice that even the bad symptoms have let up a little. For example: one of my worst symptoms is breathing issues or “air hunger”.  I have noticed compared to the air hunger I got in the beginning to the air hunger now is different. Now if I get these episodes in waves they don’t last as long. They used to last for HOURS now it’s more like 30 min tops or if I do get it longer it’s not as intense it will just feel like I have to take a deep breath and I am able to rather than not being able to at all. The air hunger used to be unrelenting. Don’t get me wrong it’s still very annoying when it comes around and I get frustrated with all this still at times.

The length of these waves though appear to be shorter. They only last about a week then start dying off and by the week and a half mark I notice I’m functioning again. Not symptom free but well enough to be almost normal. I can drive. I can be active when my body permits. I can go out to eat with family. I can almost forget about withdrawal for hours at a time. I do have times where I don’t have to think about it. I go to the mall and shop with my mom. I was able to go to a Metallica concert this summer. Ummm hello I was able to go to a heavy metal rock concert and it wasn’t even a clear window when I went but I went anyway and pushed through and had a great time. Couldn’t have done that in the first 2.5 years. Recently I was able to get one of my old tattoos touched up and a new one done.  No way I could have done that before. Some people reading this might be like eww tattoos but the point is if I wasn’t healing I would not be able to do such intense things. I also have noticed that I don’t have to wear sunglasses nearly as much as I used to. I used to have wear them all the time rain or shine.

So that’s my little update. I am currently struggling right now with another wave but it certainly helped to look back on what has improved rather than just what hasn’t or that I’m not fully healed yet. It’s probably still going to take more time to fully heal. But I am a little over 3 years out and I do have way more functional days and can fight through the bad ones easier. Every year has gotten better looking back now. So keep your heads up! It can be a long road (hopefully not) but it gets easier as you go. You won’t suffer the whole time like in the beginning.

Trust me, I never thought I would get this far but there is a strength and a will to live that keeps us going. And remember this, “Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished.” -Lao Tzu We are apart of nature and it takes time to re-wire a brain and though it takes time it doesn’t mean it won’t get accomplished. Our brains are so neuropalstic and it’s trying to wire itself around this temporary injury. It will get there in time. So no matter how long it is taking know that you are getting better! :)  

• Moderator Emeritus

Great update, Moonlitelotus.  Thanks for the Lao Tzu quote.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

5 hours ago, Moonlitelotus said:

Although, I am currently in a wave I thought I would update on my situation and any improvements.  It will help put things in perspective for me during this wave and hopefully give some hope to others. I am now 39 months off ADs and I am not taking anything not even vitamins. I can tolerate vitamins and supplements if I wanted to but I just don’t bother anymore with wasting my money.

I am still not working but I have had many more functional days and as time goes on I hope that eventually everyday will be functional enough for me to hold down a full time job. I still am having waves that knock me down but not as far. I am not having waves that put me in the fetal position anymore but they do make it so I have to pretty much rest the whole time and try to distract. My worst symptoms come back in waves. There are a lot of symptoms I don’t have any more but the bad ones still like to come say hi but I notice that even the bad symptoms have let up a little. For example: one of my worst symptoms is breathing issues or “air hunger”.  I have noticed compared to the air hunger I got in the beginning to the air hunger now is different. Now if I get these episodes in waves they don’t last as long. They used to last for HOURS now it’s more like 30 min tops or if I do get it longer it’s not as intense it will just feel like I have to take a deep breath and I am able to rather than not being able to at all. The air hunger used to be unrelenting. Don’t get me wrong it’s still very annoying when it comes around and I get frustrated with all this still at times.

The length of these waves though appear to be shorter. They only last about a week then start dying off and by the week and a half mark I notice I’m functioning again. Not symptom free but well enough to be almost normal. I can drive. I can be active when my body permits. I can go out to eat with family. I can almost forget about withdrawal for hours at a time. I do have times where I don’t have to think about it. I go to the mall and shop with my mom. I was able to go to a Metallica concert this summer. Ummm hello I was able to go to a heavy metal rock concert and it wasn’t even a clear window when I went but I went anyway and pushed through and had a great time. Couldn’t have done that in the first 2.5 years. Recently I was able to get one of my old tattoos touched up and a new one done.  No way I could have done that before. Some people reading this might be like eww tattoos but the point is if I wasn’t healing I would not be able to do such intense things. I also have noticed that I don’t have to wear sunglasses nearly as much as I used to. I used to have wear them all the time rain or shine.

So that’s my little update. I am currently struggling right now with another wave but it certainly helped to look back on what has improved rather than just what hasn’t or that I’m not fully healed yet. It’s probably still going to take more time to fully heal. But I am a little over 3 years out and I do have way more functional days and can fight through the bad ones easier. Every year has gotten better looking back now. So keep your heads up! It can be a long road (hopefully not) but it gets easier as you go. You won’t suffer the whole time like in the beginning.

Trust me, I never thought I would get this far but there is a strength and a will to live that keeps us going. And remember this, “Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished.” -Lao Tzu We are apart of nature and it takes time to re-wire a brain and though it takes time it doesn’t mean it won’t get accomplished. Our brains are so neuropalstic and it’s trying to wire itself around this temporary injury. It will get there in time. So no matter how long it is taking know that you are getting better! :)  

Hi Moonltelotus,

I'm glad to see that after such a long time you are seeing some positive signs of recovery! What do your waves feel like when you have them now compared to when you had them in the beginning of withdrawal? I just hit 4 months since completing my taper from Wellbutrin and I'm so scared that I'm going to have to struggle with this for years. My waves present themselves with anxiety, depression and severe insomnia. I also can't concentrate on anything, I have hardly any short term memory, and I can't form emotional connections to anything. Did you have similar symptoms and have they improved over time. Thanks for any feedback you can provide!

1. Started Wellbutrin 75 mg IR the end of 2015.
  2. Tried quitting cold turkey in June 30th- July 3rd 2017.
  3. Had severe withdrawals.
  4. Was placed on Wellbutrin 100mg SR so I could taper without withdrawal.
  5. Stabilized on 100mg SR for most of the month of July.
  6. Started tapering on July 17th,  2017.
  7. Completed taper on August 8th, 2017.
  8. Currently experiencing severe withdrawal.
  • Symptoms- Currently experiencing anhedonia, depersonalization/derealization, concentration/memory issues, chronic congestion, chronic dry eyes, dry skin, dislocated TMJ joint from teeth grinding during C/T withdrawal, waves of depression, anxiety, nausea, morning cortisol spikes, insomnia, agitation, food sensitivities, no tolerance for caffeine and chronic fatigue, burning muscle pain in upper and lower back and occasional tinninitus.
  • Supplements- Omega-3 fish oil supplement twice daily, 100 mg of magnesium once daily. 
  • 4 years later...

Hi, @Moonlitelotus,

I see that You haven't logged in for quite a while, but maybe You will see my post and decide to answer, or maybe not which is also fine :)

How are You doing after such a long time off, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that all is well, but do let us know, stories of survivors are what keeps many of us afloat.

Wishing You a lifelong window!

V.

Duloxetine 2016/17 - 30/60mg/30mg, c/t, light WD.

Sertraline June 2019 50mg ADR

Clorazepate June 2019 20-15-10mg for 3 weeks then sparsely until 2022, 2 times per month max and very low dose (5mg)

Clorazepate Jan2022 10mg 5 days 2,5mg 2 days then off

Venlafaxine June 2019 75mg ADR, 17,5mg, titrated to 37,5mg

Venlafaxine Jan 2022 Covid, hard ADR on 37,5mg, reduced to 20mg ADR, tried ct, crash,

Venlafaxine 22Jan22 reinstated 9,4mg, too low/ 01Feb22- 12mg/ 12Feb- 11,25mg/ 16Feb- 11mg/ 20Feb- 10,8mg/ 24Feb22-10,575mg/ 16Mar22- 10,46mg/ 26Mar22- 10,35mg/ 26Apr22- 10mg/ 01Oct- 9,9mg/ 13Nov- 9,7mg

01Jan24-7,5mg

MAR24

Due to another sudden intolerance had to fast taper venlafaxine to 1,14mg 

Seems like all of this time I was in benzo withdrawal, because when I took it now in desperation to help it made me feel worse, tried reinstatement first 1mg, then 0,05mg both made me feel worse.