SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Moonlitelotus: introduction/body zaps/questions

Moonlitelotus

4 months feels like a long time to be suffering... Thank you. :)

I started out on zoloft 50 mg or 20mg (can't remember at that point) and was on it for a few months then decided I didn't want to take it because of the side effects so I cold turkey'd it and then was miserable and reinstated and all my symptoms went away and I felt normal. Stayed on it for a while tried lexapro 5mg for a month or two instead to see if I had less side effects. Then switched back to zoloft 20mg I think and weaned down to 6mg and jumped off too soon because it supposedly wasn't a "therapeutic dose" and was told it would be ok. Then I was going through withdrawal again so I reinstated again after about a month I switched to prozac because it's easier to wean off of supposedly. Weaned off over 9 month from 8mg Prozac. Then two months after stopping it on September 2, 2014. I went into withdrawal.

18 months off as of March 2, 2016

• Moderator Emeritus

Moonlitelotus

I've moved your thread into your introductions. This, as you know is where you speak about your own individual situation and seek support.

Please respect the way in which this site is organised and managed. If people start posting all over the place in the hope of getting more support the site will quickly become very disorganised and less useful to the whole community.

I understand that you are suffering. I understand that you are desperate and I understand that you are frustrated that we keep moving your posts. However, if you continue to ignore the requests of moderators who spend a lot of time keeping the sire well organised and offering support, despite our own struggles I will have to give you a warning.

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

• Moderator Emeritus

I see on the 20th of December that you said you have moments when you feel normal or close to it. That's a very good sign. I suspect that over time thirst moments will increase if you give them the chance. The best way to do that is to avoid catastrophizing that you will never recover, that you are somehow the only person that won't get better or that it will take a very long time.

Engaging like that becomes a self fulfilling prophecy in that it increases the stress on your nervous system. What can you do to engage more gently and live up to the Buddha quite in your signature?

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

When I feel normal it's not even 100% and maybe lasts a couple hours. Seems like I haven't had one of those moments since the 20th. I dunno seems like I'm worse than I was.

I started out on zoloft 50 mg or 20mg (can't remember at that point) and was on it for a few months then decided I didn't want to take it because of the side effects so I cold turkey'd it and then was miserable and reinstated and all my symptoms went away and I felt normal. Stayed on it for a while tried lexapro 5mg for a month or two instead to see if I had less side effects. Then switched back to zoloft 20mg I think and weaned down to 6mg and jumped off too soon because it supposedly wasn't a "therapeutic dose" and was told it would be ok. Then I was going through withdrawal again so I reinstated again after about a month I switched to prozac because it's easier to wean off of supposedly. Weaned off over 9 month from 8mg Prozac. Then two months after stopping it on September 2, 2014. I went into withdrawal.

I believe you will heal it will take some time though.... Just hang in there and take a break from things and have some distractions that will help you through the days. You are young and that will work for you and I know it is hard to feel like you are wasting time but things (wd) are out of our control and just let nature take its course. The best of luck to you...

Celexa 20mg 2008-2012 for Social Anxiety

Failed attempt to stop reinstated

1 year taper skipping doses

Celexa free 12/2013

1/2014-5/2014 took 5 htp every other day

Failed Reinstatement 5mg of Celexa on 12/2014 for 5 days only

I am never 100% even 6 months later.  You are early into withdrawals and YOU WILL HEAL!  You just have to give your body a chance to heal.  Your brain will not reregulate itself overnight.  It IS a hard road but you will get there.  Just hang on and believe what others here are saying.  I am better now then I was four months ago and you will feel better eventually as well.

2002-put on amitryptiline for fibromyalgia. 10mg.2004-stopped abruptly. Didn't think it helped.2006 approx.-put on Paxil for mild anxiety 20 mg.2007 upped to 40 mg. not sure why.2011- tapered from 40 to 10. went nuts and went back to 20mg2014- tapered from 20mg to 0 from April to The end of June.current meds- Metformin(type 2 diabetic) and low dose aspirin.Take multi vitamin and vit b12, vit. D and magnesium. 5 months off Paxil. Still suffering.recently added 1.2mg of Paxil to alleviate withdrawals.(Nov 30)Dropped to .9mg because having symptoms from reinstatement.(dec 23)<p>taper to .76mg-.8mg (Feb 3) approx. weight .010 to about .008-.009 on scale.
.6mg (march 19th.) .5mg(April 19th)
.4mg(April 27th)
.2 (June 27th)

0mg.  done taper at beginning of August.

MLL, you are suffering the nervous system destabilization we call "antidepressant withdrawal syndrome" probably caused by numerous drug changes and (relatively) cold turkey stopping of those meds as suggested by either you or your doctors. Your signature is incomplete as you do not state when and for how long you were on all those drugs and really, it is a moot point now. Our nervous systems are not made of rubber. What is done is done and we suggest that once you are sensitized, you do not ever try psychoactive meds or chemicals again.

When we heal we experience 'windows and waves' of symptoms: some days (or hours) the symptoms subside, some times they get worse or new ones pop up. You just have to 'go with the flow' as it were and use the suggestions in the Symptoms and Self care forum to see if any do help and just hang on. You won't ever see rapid improvement and changes can take a long time to be felt.

Basically, you have to adjust to a different way of feeling the way you do altogether because it is likely to be that way for a long time. No one knows for sure HOW long, we are all different.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

Thanks for the replies... I cold turkey'd two years ago for a month and then reinstated. On to lexapro for 2-3 months and went back to zoloft and tried weaning off it down to 6 mg and was told I could stop it because it wasn't even a theraputic dose any more. :/ I weaned off zoloft for 3-4 months then was off for 2 and the reinstated with prozac 10 mg as directed by a psychiatrist because it is supposedly easier to get off of. Then I weaned prozac over 9 months. I dropped the dose every 4-6 weeks as I felt stable. Then at 1 mg I went to .5mg for a week or two I felt fine. Then I stopped it and felt fine for two months and then I drank some alcohol (bad idea) and then after that started getting withdrawal. I dunno if the alcohol started it or if I was bound to happen. It's just so frustrating because I've wasted most of my 20s going through this and now I might be sick for a while. It sucks not being a normal 24 year old. I don't feel like I can be normal right now. It's also hard to wrap my brain around the fact that I was able to get off zoloft with no withdrawals what so ever at 21 for a year and then only took meds again a short amount of time and haven't been able to get off since.

So there ya go, I've just read your above post and lots of drug changes in your relatively short (compared to mine) life.

It's also hard to wrap my brain around the fact that I was able to get off zoloft with no withdrawals what so ever at 21 for a year and then only took meds again a short amount of time and haven't been able to get off since.

Yes, but someone made a statement that sticks with me whenever I find myself sliding into "how come?" thinking: you have never before in your whole life been the age you are right now. Tomorrow it will be different, you will be a day older and the same thing applies. The statement should read: "I haven't been able to get off YET", not since. Retrain your thinking.

BUT: you are young. Because of your youth your body has a somewhat greater capacity for healing than an old bird like me. I'm healing up, you will too but you have to stop thinking that pills are going to 'cure' you. You will have to cultivate non-drug techniques for managing the slings and arrows of life. You don't want to keep getting shot down, you want to live joyously and you WILL.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

I know these drugs do not cure. They cover up symptoms or make it worse. I have learned techniques to control anxiety and I have overcome it. I rarely get anxiety anymore even going through this and I haven't had a panic attack in a long time either. I used to be afraid of something bad happening to me and dying. I was afraid of death. (All this stems from my dad dying from heart problems when I was 15). Now I have really got to the point where yes it is scary to not know for sure what is going to happen once you die but I did learn through all of this including withdrawals that I am not going to die and I want to live a fearless life. I really feel in my heart and mind that I have overcome what I was put on medicine for in the first place which is why I didn't want to take it anymore along with not liking the side effects. I still have growing to do too and I appreciate your advice, everyone's advice on this experience.

So turns out I have a low thyroid. I also had a good day today I felt almost normal. I start the thyroid medicine in the morning, its called naturethroid it's made from pigs thyroid so that's interesting...lol. I have suspected a thyroid issue for a long time but the doctor I had just wanted to blame everything on anxiety and that I need meds rather than find the underlying problem and fix it. Glad I went somewhere else just wish I did sooner but doesn't matter now. Point is that I finally figured out there was more than just withdrawal going on the last 2 years. Apparently, antidepressants can mask some thyroid symptoms and that's why I just kept getting put on meds. I tried to tell my doctor at the time that I felt like more was going on than just anxiety but she wanted to just label me as a crazy hypochondriac rather than actually help me. She did test my thyroid and failed to tell me my t3 was below normal and my Tsh was on the high side. She just said I was fine and needed to be on an antidepressant. I had to look up my own test results and take them to another doctor to find out what was going on. I've been dealing with that dumb doctor for 2 years and she did more harm and wasted my time rather than help me. I guess that was a learning experience. That's why I don't trust doctors much now. I've pretty much had to be my own doctor. So that's an update about my situation. I'm sure I am still experiencing some withdrawal symptoms but hopefully recovery will be a little easier with my body working correctly.

hopefully recovery will be a little easier with my body working correctly.

This has been very true for a lot of us. You are on the right track, keep going!

Do the antidepressants cause thyroid problems or are the withdrawals just worse because of a thyroid problem?

Do the antidepressants cause thyroid problems or are the withdrawals just worse because of a thyroid problem?

Boy, that is a tough one. While it may be true that ADs may precipitate thyroid problems, in any individual case it might be hard to pin the cause on the drugs. My guess is that the wd might be 'worse' (more or less) because of the added upset from a body that has a thyroid that is not functioning optimally.

If you do get it regulated you may notice you feel much better by virtue of that. Do let us know, ok?

It's just so weird to me than on antidepressants I feel pretty much normal not all the way especially with side effects but then when I get off meds I just feel horrible thinking its withdrawals which I'm sure some is but then the initial withdrawal symptoms go away like the vertigo and stuff. But I still feel horrible and have no energy, can't work out without getting sick, feel out of it and brain fog, feel weak, etc. basically thyroid and adrenal symptoms. So I don't know I guess it could be that I've had a thyroid issue that was covered up by antidepressants and every time I tried to get off them the symptoms would get worse. It just seemed so related to withdrawal. But I did get off zoloft no problems 2 years ago so maybe I was not having thyroid problems at that time. I just hope I get some relief I've never been so sick for so long. 2 years I've been struggling with not feeling like myself.

MLL, you have had a lot of dosage and drug changes in the last two years. All of the symptoms you describe are common in wd syndrome. They take a long time to resolve. Stopping, starting and changing drugs causes symptoms too.

Well I must have both thyroid and withdrawal issues. :/ but I've been having good days this week. Atleast two days so far I've felt almost normal. But it seems to be an every other day thing. Monday was better, then I felt crappy Tuesday, then yesterday was pretty great compared to any day I've had since this started, but today I feel very tired and out of it like I can't seem to wake up fully and am getting the body tickley weakness feeling again. So I'm guessing this is waves and windows...

I know it may not work this far in the game but IF I decided to reinstate a small dose and stablize am I going to have just as tought a time getting off as I am now? I was already weaned down to 1mg and I still ended up with withdrawal so I'm wondering if it even matters if I did reinstate and leveled out again on 1mg if I would just probably go through all this again. I do not want to reinstate. :/

Perhaps this topic will answer your question.

Well I appreciated those two days felt normal but it's been down hill from there. I've had few symptoms that went away now come back and I've been suffering the last two days. I mean I feel like I'm barely surviving sometimes. What a tease to feel so much better and then just fall. I'm about to start my period and I guess low estrogen also means a drop in serotonin. That's the only thing I can think of as to why I am feeling so horrible right now compared to the progress I have made over the last few weeks.

I also have a question I dunno if someone can answer but if I stopped my meds September 2nd but withdrawals didn't start until November then do I count from when my withdrawals started how long if been "healing" or does it start from the day you stop the meds. Like would I say I've been going through withdrawals 4 1/2 months or 2 1/2 months. Because I'm thinking that my brain didn't start healing until the drug was out of my system probably after the first two months. If that makes sense...

A wave does not care about your previous progress.

A wave does not mean that you've lost the progress you made earlier.

All part of the process. Do not worry :)

08 Cipralex 10mg for about 6 months. 11-12 Cipralex 20mg. Unsuccesful WD. 12-13 Zoloft 100mg with Diazepam 10-20mg as needed for anxiety.
Fall 13 Tapering Zoloft 100->50->25->12,5->0 in 2,5 months and CT Diazepam. 12/24/13 RI Zoloft 12,5mg

1/21/14 11mg

3/18/14 9,9mg

2/18/14 8mg

4/22/14 7,6mg

5/5/14 7,2mg

5/12/14 -> cutting 0,5mg per week, holding when necessary.

8/18/14 -> cutting 0,25mg per week holding when necessary.

10/20/2014 -> cutting 0,1mg per week, holding when necessary.
12/28/2014 Jump!

You know what... I just don't think I can do this anymore. I am 24 and I have no life all I do is suffer and try to live a normal life everyday but I can't seem to do that. I have lost sight of the Victoria I used to be and it breaks my heart. I have been going through this crap for 2 years off and on wasting my life away. I do not want to be on that nasty medication that did this to me in the first place. But I do not want to keep suffering not knowing when it's going to end. I commend those who have made it through this. Seriously wow. Now that's one strong person. I may try reinstating on .5mg or even 1mg if I can stablize on that then I will probably stay on it for quite sometime. Who knows maybe I will be able to get off it someday. Maybe my body needs to heal for a while. I am not reinstating just yet but I feel like I'm leaning towards it. :/

Don't beat yourself up if you feel you want to try reinstatement. A tiny amount might help you. Then you can taper that at a later date. Just make sure you give it a couple weeks to work. I was mad at myself for taking the 1.2 mg because I thought it wasn't doing anything but a few weeks later I realized it was. It is a very hard road to walk and you have to live while the healing takes place.

2002-put on amitryptiline for fibromyalgia. 10mg.2004-stopped abruptly. Didn't think it helped.2006 approx.-put on Paxil for mild anxiety 20 mg.2007 upped to 40 mg. not sure why.2011- tapered from 40 to 10. went nuts and went back to 20mg2014- tapered from 20mg to 0 from April to The end of June.current meds- Metformin(type 2 diabetic) and low dose aspirin.Take multi vitamin and vit b12, vit. D and magnesium. 5 months off Paxil. Still suffering.recently added 1.2mg of Paxil to alleviate withdrawals.(Nov 30)Dropped to .9mg because having symptoms from reinstatement.(dec 23)<p>taper to .76mg-.8mg (Feb 3) approx. weight .010 to about .008-.009 on scale.
.4mg(April 27th)
.2 (June 27th)

Thanks.. Yeah the living is not taking place right now. I get out when I feel well enough but I mostly stay in my house or lay in bed. Just going for a walk is a big deal sometimes not from anxiety at all just from flat out being sick.

yup I mostly stay indoors too.  I go out when I have to buy food for my kids or take the little one to school or pick her up.  the rest of my time is spent on my couch. I get it.  Some days my leg pain is so bad it takes everything in me to drop the little one at school.  I have hope that my life will get better and I pray alot.

.4mg(April 27th)
.2 (June 27th)

Totally understand the frustration. I feel like I've lost my life to the meds and it's now on hold again from withdrawal. Your not alone feeling like this xxx

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

Thank you for the support! I'm sorry for everyone who has to go thru this. I'm giving it some more time before I give in and reinstate. I have had windows and I feel like it's a good sign. But I have currently been having a bad wave. I was really immature today and was so upset over all this I threw my phone and broke it. :/ Sometimes it gets really tiring trying to control my emotions while going thru withdrawals. I'm sure you guys can relate. Up side to breaking my phone is I had an upgrade anyway so it didn't cost me an arm and a leg for a new phone. Lol. Lesson learned though... Find a different outlet for anger. What do you guys do for an outlet? I usually would workout but that's not in the cards for me right now. Also, I hope everyone is hanging in there ok!!

We have a venting thread in off topic if you are interested....... when I am angry I generally cry, not the most mature thing to do either. And I say bad words. Loudly.

I found the cussin' thread and took part in that last night lol. Sooo glad that we all have threads like that, what a great idea. :) I cry too. But usually I feel better after a good cry. A good cry and bad words is sometimes necessary. Haha.

LOL really it's amazing peoples great humour on here given all that's going on.

I had terrible rage for months don't know how to express it - I think just the venting thread and crying!

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

Well the ear ringing is particularly loud today and the muscle weakness has reared its head again and the acid reflux started before all that. I feel miserable. I can't eat without feeling like short of breath after. I was so glad when the acid reflux went away before...

And just when I feel so horrible and want to give up I get a window. This back and forth is exhausting. Seems like as soon as I feel like like I can't take it anymore that is when a window happens. Then its like ugh! I can't give up! I just feel like how much longer can I take this back and forth because when it's bad it's really bad. Does anyone have any idea why windows and waves happen?

Yes I do, it's the nature of the way the body heals the upset caused by the stuff we put in our mouths, in many cases the ADs and other meds. Recovery from wd syndrome is not linear (does not follow a straight line). Stuff is going on all the time beneath our level of awareness. As the body tries to come to a 'new' normal and go back to the way it is supposed to work, it often 'overshoots the mark' and goes too far in the other direction and then BAM, a wave. Then it tries to overcome the overshoot and there is a brief time when everything is cool (and the planets and stars are aligned) and you have a window. But then it goes too far and then BAM, oops, overshot again. In time the overshoots get less drastic and the reactions are less dramatic and you eventually get to feeling better for longer periods and overall. And then watch out. I have had some very brief periods when I am just sitting in my chair doing NOTHING AT ALL and I will suddenly feel indescribably great. That is a sort of 'wave' too. Get it?

Don't panic in the waves and enjoy the windows while you can. It will all even out eventually and by that time you will be busy rebuilding your life without meds. Just get through it all the best you can and try not to do anything to mess up your body up in the meantime. Elegance is not a requirement in this step.

How do you know when a window is going to stay a window or is that something that you will just know only when it happens. Have you ever heard of people making significant recovery after 6-8 months being off meds? I know recovery is individual for everyone I'm just wondering if people do recover faster than a few years or at least mostly recover. I just hear about people going thru this for years and honestly I don't think I have it in me for that. I'm a strong person but I don't know if I want to be that strong. Do windows and waves tend to last a long time at the same rate or do they gradually noticeably get better? I know you may not have all the answers to my questions but I'm wondering if you can give me some insight to what you have observed in your own experience and from the recovery of others.

MLL,

No amount of answering your questions will ever satisfy you or anyone else that is going through wd. It is a peculiarity of the syndrome. You can't help it but you can certainly try.

I won't give a link but go look for a post of mine that I put in 'Best of SA'. Read it till you have it memorized. There will come a day when this will be past you and you will need to talk to someone else that way to help them hang on and get to the other side.

There are no hard and fast answers, none. Not even good guesses.

• Moderator Emeritus

I know you may not have all the answers to my questions but I'm wondering if you can give me some insight to what you have observed in your own experience and from the recovery of others.

I can give you my opinions based on my own experience and what I've seen here and on other sites

How do you know when a window is going to stay a window or is that something that you will just know only when it happens.

I think you mean, how do you know if a window is going to stay open?  I haven't had many and the ones I've had have only lasted for a few hours.  From what I've seen from the experiences of others, they last longer, going from hours to days and then months, with waves coming less and less frequently.  I think that when people start getting regular windows, there tends to be a pattern of increasing improvement with waves becoming less frequent, less intense and lasting for a shorter time, but there are always exceptions. So in general, windows stay open for longer and longer periods of time, but there is no guarantee. Even after months or years of being in a window, a wave of symptoms can occasionally come back for a short time, sometimes being triggered by another drug or stressful life event.  But by this time it might be difficult to tell the difference between a return of withdrawal symptoms and a normal reaction to a toxic drug or difficult life event.

Have you ever heard of people making significant recovery after 6-8 months being off meds?

I would think this would be most people and you rarely find them posting about their recovery on sites like this because they no longer  need to be here.

Do windows and waves tend to last a long time at the same rate or do they gradually noticeably get better?

What I've seen from following stories here is that windows come more often and last longer, waves get shorter and are less intense.  Symptoms tend to change over time, sometimes coming back after being gone for a while, but each time, being less intense.  Eventually a symptom will go away for good and not come back.  Keeping track of your own symptoms and patterns on paper may help you to recognize your progress, its difficult to remember ever having felt better when in the middle of a nasty wave.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes