lexaprogrr: lexapro help

lexaprogrr

I am having a horrible time with getting off of SSRI's.  They took me off of Cymbalta after a year or more and put me on Lexapro.  I hated the side effects and they took me off.  I am very irritable, my sleep patterns are all messed up, emotional etc.  It has been about 2 1/2 weeks since I have stopped the lexapro..... How long will this last???

Thanks for any insight

lexaprogrr

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Lexaprogrr, welcome to SA. No-one can say how long withdrawal will last, it is different for everyone but it sounds

like you are suffering quite badly and may benefit from reinstating a very small amount to stop the withdrawal. It 

helps many people to stabilise after tapering too fast and when stable they are able to start a slow taper from that 

small dose. If you can give us some more details it will help us to give you the best advice. It will help us if you can 

put the details in your signature strip, with the doses,  and dates of starting, (month, year) how you tapered and when

stopped. Include all prescription and over the counter drugs, and supplements too. 

You can find instructions how to do that here  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

When we have the info we will be better able to understand and offer advice. You will get lots of support here, we

are all in the same boat and either in withdrawal or tapering so we all understand what you are feeling.

You might like to read the topic on reinstating to stabilise. 

The topic is at the top of the symptoms and self care forum. http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/8-symptoms-and-self-care/

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

I started the lexapro at 10 mg then tapered to 5 for about 1 1/2 weeks.  I have been sleeping alot and according to everyone this is not because of the withdrawals.  That I should not be suffering from withdrawals.......  I was doing fine until I was taken off of first the Cymbalta and then the lexapro.  Any suggestions??

lexaprogrr

• Moderator Emeritus

Thats a very fast taper, on top of a rough transition from Cymbalta.   This kind of stuff upsets your brain and nervous system.  Do you have any other symptoms?

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

Yes I do I am very irritable, I have had weight gain , I have had alot of emotional mood swings and just very fatigued

lexaprogrr

• Moderator Emeritus

This all sounds like withdrawal to me and is very common if you read through the threads on this site.  When people are in withdrawal we usually suggest they consider reinstating the drug and tapering off slowly.

can I ask you to complete your signature as per MammaP's request above.   She has also pointed you in the direction of topics on reinstatment

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

Does anyone have any suggeations on what to do with the withdrawal of Lexapro besides getting back on it to help with the side effects?  I do not want to get back on it and then have to deal with the withdrawals again....They have said to get back on the lexapro and have said to take seroquel for the side effects.  I tried the seroquel and it is making me more irritable than without.  What do I do???

Thnaks

lexaprogrr

Does anyone have any suggestions the "rip van winkle" sindrome I am dealing with as far as withdrwaing from the Lexapro.  I am falling asleep all the time day and night.  I cannot seem to get any up and go going.  I am freaking out about this and do not know if this is what the problem is..... HELP

lexaprogrr

I wish I had the answers. Just here to send support and say I feel ya!

I did a slow taper off lexapro and hit a wall at 2.5mg and now struggle with insomnia. I've been frantically searching for a magic bullet but it seems there is not one. Hang on.

HISTORY: Lexapro 10mg (current and for approximately 7 years; Prozac 20mg for 5 years and Zoloft 50mg for 5 years)

Lexapro (too fast taper) 9mg 09/13; 8mg 10/13; 7mg 12/13; 6mg  02/14; 5mg  04/14; 4mg 06/14 2.5mg 08/29/14 2.25 mg 12/04/14;

Re-instatement - 2.5mg 12/17/14; 03/01/15 3.0 mg; 04/01/15 - 5mg;  05/01/15  6mg; 5/15/15 6.5mg 6/01/15 7.5mg

2nd attempt at micro taper: starting dose is 7.5mg using liquid compounded rx: 12/16/17 - 7mg;  02/05/18 - 6.75mg 04/06/18 - 6.5ml  05/31/18 re-instate back to 6.75mg 

Lexaprogrr,

I have merged this recent topic you started into your thread, it is one topic per member in the intro forum. Please keep all of your questions about your lexapro taper in your thread. Bookmark it so you can find it every time.

Now that you have found out how to make a signature, please put into it (instead of your name) a list of the drugs and/or supplements you are currently taking as well as a RECENT drug history (if appropriate) so we know how to advise you.

They have said to get back on the lexapro and have said to take seroquel for the side effects

Who is the 'they' that is saying this?

We need more information so we know how to advise you. All the symptoms you are describing sound like withdrawal syndrome and a very small dose of the last drug were on may very well help ease the symptoms allowing you to make a slower taper off the drug. But we need to know what 'they' are telling you or prescribing for you first.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• Administrator

Welcome, lexaprogrr.

Does anyone have any suggestions the "rip van winkle" sindrome I am dealing with as far as withdrwaing from the Lexapro.  I am falling asleep all the time day and night.  I cannot seem to get any up and go going.  I am freaking out about this and do not know if this is what the problem is..... HELP

Sleeping more is better than the usual -- terrible sleep problems.

While not as common as insomnia, this can indeed be a withdrawal symptom.

Are you completely off Lexapro? Did you jump off at 5mg? What side effects did you have when you were on it?

If you're completely off, in your situation, a very little Lexapro, perhaps as little as 2mg, might reduce the withdrawal symptoms.

Adding Seroquel to Lexapro makes no sense at all -- Seroquel generally causes sleepiness.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Welcome, lexaprogrr.

Sleeping more is better than the usual -- terrible sleep problems.

While not as common as insomnia, this can indeed be a withdrawal symptom.

Are you completely off Lexapro? Did you jump off at 5mg? What side effects did you have when you were on it?

If you're completely off, in your situation, a very little Lexapro, perhaps as little as 2mg, might reduce the withdrawal symptoms.

Adding Seroquel to Lexapro makes no sense at all -- Seroquel generally causes sleepiness.

My experience has been more sleeping as well. Maybe this is because of a faster tapper, possibly body response to dealing with too much stress related with a change, which is like getting to swim in a freezing water with no preparation...

- 12.03.2021- doxepin- 50mg

- 6.11.2020- 75mg

- 16.10.2020- 100mg

- 30.09.2020- doxepin- 125mg

- May 2020, omeprazole 40mg switched to esomeprazole 20mg

- 2012 re-started Doxepin 75mg, evening. Increased to 150mg

- 2012, Atenolol 25mg, twice a day

- 2016, Low dose of HRT in evening, Sandrena and Utrogestan 

- Long term of Nasal spray Otrivine

- 2012, PPI Omeprazole 40mg-evening

24.10.2014- Started ESCITALOPRAM-first 5mg and then 10mg; due to the adverse symptoms reduced on 5.01.2015- Escitalopram- 2.5mg 22.07.2016- re-started reduction by 1% at a time. Completed tappering on  19.03.2020 😇

• Administrator

Sleep is healing. More sleeping could be your body's way of fixing itself.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Sleep is healing. More sleeping could be your body's way of fixing itself.

It seems to be my coping strategy, I tend to sleep a lot when I am in a stressful sitation...

- 12.03.2021- doxepin- 50mg

- 6.11.2020- 75mg

- 16.10.2020- 100mg

- 30.09.2020- doxepin- 125mg

- May 2020, omeprazole 40mg switched to esomeprazole 20mg

- 2012 re-started Doxepin 75mg, evening. Increased to 150mg

- 2012, Atenolol 25mg, twice a day

- 2016, Low dose of HRT in evening, Sandrena and Utrogestan 

- Long term of Nasal spray Otrivine

- 2012, PPI Omeprazole 40mg-evening

24.10.2014- Started ESCITALOPRAM-first 5mg and then 10mg; due to the adverse symptoms reduced on 5.01.2015- Escitalopram- 2.5mg 22.07.2016- re-started reduction by 1% at a time. Completed tappering on  19.03.2020 😇