tanit: How to save our lives and future victims of big pharma

tanit

I was a healthy female months ago and i don`t even want to talk how i got into this mess (it is really painful to me ). A summary is that I developed very debilitating headaches that had made my life hell. My neurologist instead of looking for real causes decided without doing any serious examination that I was depressed and send me to a psychiatrist. I first refused then psychiatrist told me it was giving me just anti nausea drugs and other to help endure the pain not 2 ssri and a benzo.

I decided to look for other causes for my headache and after a long wait I found out that I have raised intracranial pressure to which I brought  medication and my headache was cured . Meanwhile I started feeling weird cardiac pain , agitation , my bp raised a lot then someday I took one of those anti nausea pills and it was the day my suffering started. I had hyperthermia , convulsions and muscle rigidity . I was having an serotonin syndrome and some malignant hyperthermia and i went to doctor in half awake state dragging my rigid feet , he said it should go on its own (I then understood that he did not even understand the basic action of serotonin, he denied that serotonin is a vasoconstrictor which is shocking For someone who went to med school ).

It never did and today I suffer from rigid muscles, torn muscles of the chest due to excess contractions , breathing problems, dry mouth , sexual dysfunction...

I found out later that my mother was putting paroxetine (the psychiatrist convinced her that I was depressive and that I need this medication) into my food without even tell me and that was the cause of this. I want to scream of pain, anger and despair but then I can`t breath when I cry because of my breathing muscles problems.

I am very pessimistic and depressed because of my bad health . However I happen also to be a med school student (although I  do most research on cancer now) that has a good grasp of receptor dynamics  . I really think that with the right molecule I can reverse the change  caused by receptor  overstimulation and downregulation due to  ssri. Any good biochemist can with some guidance do that through studying receptor activation (G protein coupled receptor) , we can try to refix the second messengers that are overactivated after serotonin receptor binding . There are true solutions to reverse the exact damage but we need to have a little  group of biochemists to help us as we need to target the exact second messangers related to serotonin and not use any random modulator , to examine tissue sensitivity ...

Basically there is a lot of work but also hope for you people to regain your life and I think you should fight for it  because my science tells me people can  get back to normal. I can further explain how to reverse the damage and I wish I could do it for you myself but my body is so weak and my  breathing problem can aggravate if I work a lot.

We can unite all people with ssri induced damage ,start a foundation , ask a few chemists to help us and reverse most of the damage .I am betting my life on it: it is reversible . It is not impossible  to stop all the pain and the withdrawing suffering due to bogus science that claims that depression is due to chemical imbalance.

Please help me make this possible.

Edited by cymbaltawithdrawal5600
added line breaks for readability

''I''took paxil for 30 days (did`nt felt  a lot of side effects when ''I'' stopped it)

after two weeks I developed the worst headache I ever felt (some sort of permanent migraine, tinnitus..).

after a month of headaches a decided to take another pill to see.I took a pill because i was thinking that it  was may be withdrawal and it caused me a what my doctor called `some thing like serotonin syndrome`` which never improved and caused me severe muscle problems...

in retrospect I know that it was not a serotonin syndrome , my receptor were very stimulated and reacted in weird ways

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm not a biochemist, but I sure as h*** believe that if drug companies are going to f*** us up, then they d*** well better know how to fix it.

Although, biology is such a messy thing with so many variable per body, so wouldn't it just be another potential mess of swirling around in people's brains?

*I'm not a doctor and don't give medical advice, just personal experience
**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not
-Dual cold turkeys off TCA & Ativan in Oct 2014. Prescribed from 2011-2014

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Desipramine Jan 2014 - Oct. 29, 2014 (rapid taper/cold turkey)

-Lorazepam 1 mg per night during 2011
-Lorazepam 1 mg per month in 2012 (or less)

-Lorazepam on & off, Dec 2013 through Aug 2014. Didn't exceed 3x a week

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged
-7 years off: Huge improvements, incl. improved dystonia

I think that we can try the medication that caused the harm on a poor mouse,see what receptor it has affected and how they changed and try to reverse it.It is not any random molecule that will improve the symptoms but something to reverse the exact damage caused by meds(a curative approach) because your jerks, electric shock are caused by receptor downregulation and excitatory neurotransmitters disinhibition.

What worries me also is the long term effects that we will experience as we age (say in 20 years),because basically our brain is damaged and that puts us  at risk of a lot diseases like parkinson, dementia ,neuromuscular diseases and even cancer...

We need to act now and I know we all will be way better  that now

We are fighting for our lives and we need to organize ourselves and stop this mass suffering 

Please let`s work together and help each other

''I''took paxil for 30 days (did`nt felt  a lot of side effects when ''I'' stopped it)

after two weeks I developed the worst headache I ever felt (some sort of permanent migraine, tinnitus..).

after a month of headaches a decided to take another pill to see.I took a pill because i was thinking that it  was may be withdrawal and it caused me a what my doctor called `some thing like serotonin syndrome`` which never improved and caused me severe muscle problems...

in retrospect I know that it was not a serotonin syndrome , my receptor were very stimulated and reacted in weird ways

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Tanit, welcome to SA. It is tragic that you are suffering so badly because you were misled, and indeed poisoned 

even if it was well intentioned. 

Altostrata our administrator has been studying this for many years and has given us links to excellent studies and

articles that unmask psychiatry and all it's lies! The pharmaceutical companies are now having to backtrack and 

stop peddling their chemical imbalance theory. You will find lots of studies that will help your research here.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/16-from-journals-and-scientific-sources/

And here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/23-events-controversies-actions/

We have some distressing stories from our members in the intro forum, which can be read as case histories.

We have learned that the brain and nervous system are remarkable and able to regenerate and heal. 

People do get better and go on to be fully functioning although it can take years in some cases. 

You may also want to see the success stories. http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/28-recovery-success-stories/

In the meantime you might find the symptoms and self care section interesting with input from people on what has

helped them with withdrawal and what has made it worse. 

I'm sorry this has happened to you but I am glad that you found us, together we may change things! 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

@mammaP

Think about how much time and energy this medication has taken of your life .No one need to waste years of his life like that while the criminals make billions .I think we should be more active in defending our cause by finding the problems and fixing them with good solutions

why wasting all those years  if we can gather and create better solutions ?

Big pharma will never learn anything.It is not run by scientists (the most honest generally leave ) but CEOs who care only about their quarter profits .They are just pretending to learn some lessons but they will never stop putting dangerous drug on the market .

• Administrator

Welcome, tanit.

How long have you been off psychiatric drugs? What psychiatric drugs and dosages were you taking in that last phase?

Please put ALL the drugs you take in the Drug Interactions Checker http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.htmland post the results in this topic.

I don't believe it's as simple as upregulating downregulated receptors, see What is withdrawal syndrome?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

What caused my problem  is paroxetine.I only took it for 1 month and is basically destroyed me .

I worked long time on receptors to know that it is a receptor problem.I can explain to you why it is so and believe me downregulating receptors is far from simple and it is the cause of aging and chronic diseases. Think of it, the serotonin stimulates the receptor , the receptor changes his conformation and stimulates other molecules .At first your body won`t react very much as it sensitivity for  serotonin is low but after a while it will become more sensitive to serotonin  and to balance this increase of serotonin sensitivity  you receptor will have to diminish so they will be sent  to lysosomes(acid filled vesicles for degradation)it is kind of adjustment to excess serotonin),because you are also pumping your body with excess serotonin ,you body will upregulate excitatory neurotransmitters as an adjustment else you won`t be able to function . then you just stop all of it and you find your self with excess excitatory neurotransmitter,with receptors that give transient signal not the sustained signal(just remember because you gave your body excess serotonin it kind of diminished the duration of its signalling as an adjustment too) so when you are afraid you will secrete stress hormones but in the normal case your body will use a reflex to counter this stress  but here your body due to excess serotonin reduced the duration of in serotonin signal and you won`t able to counter your fears and you will get a panic attack. the exact think causes the convulsions , the insomnia, the healing (serotonin help in tissue healing and regeneration)

it is simply  that your body has adjusted to excess serotonin.People reaction will depend on the degree of their adjustment 

The thing that really bothers me is the fact the pathways  that are related to serotonin are the cause of a lot of diseases like hypertension,stroke ,cancer.Really it is a very dangerous hormone to mess with .

But I think we can use the way our body store the information about its sensitivity state to our advantage.We could just erase that hypersensitity to tell our body to return to normal because by modulating molecule or two.

Am I clear?If you have any problem I can further clarify :)

How long ago did you take the drugs?  The paroxetine?  When you found out that your mother had been giving it to you, you stopped taking it then?  And you think this drug caused irresversible damage to the receptor sites by overstimulating them?

1971-81  Valium 5mg c/t PAWS     1992- through now Zoloft 25mg    2003-05 Valium 12mg Slow Taper Off

2013 Afrin Exposure to CNS    2013 O/D Val 230mg    2013 Doxepin 50mg Clonidine 2mg Zoloft 25mg

3/15/16  Doxepin 49mg Micro Tapering  Zoloft 24.3mg Holding taper

3/15/16 Clonidine mg 0.1 1/2 -    Decreasing incrementally.  DISCONTINUED

10/9/16  Doxepin 48.9  Zoloft 24.3  Clonidine  01.10  Continuing micro taper on Doxepin.

11/16/16 Doxepin 48mg  Zoloft 24.3mg  Clonidine 1.30mg

5/4/17  Doxepin 45mg  Zoloft 24mg  Clonidine 1.20mg   Micro taper of Doxepin  , Clonidine

01/13/19  Doxepin 45mg   Zoloft 21mg   Will start Micro taper of Doxepin 2/19

12/21/21  Doxepin 20 mg ?  Reducing using water micro taper--Pulling 24ml from 75ml

12/2121   Zoloft .060 grams by weight--HOLDING (info from post added by CC: On 12/21/21 my dosage was .060grams by weight or 20mg. )

26 Apr 2022 - Zoloft at -0-

Very interesting and makes alot of sense. I am seven months off paxil. I reinstated 1 mg a couple months ago because the withdrawals were horrid. What are your opinions on the body's ability to return to normal functioning without the paxil. I want to believe that I will eventually be myself again. I have to hold on to that hope.

2002-put on amitryptiline for fibromyalgia. 10mg.2004-stopped abruptly. Didn't think it helped.2006 approx.-put on Paxil for mild anxiety 20 mg.2007 upped to 40 mg. not sure why.2011- tapered from 40 to 10. went nuts and went back to 20mg2014- tapered from 20mg to 0 from April to The end of June.current meds- Metformin(type 2 diabetic) and low dose aspirin.Take multi vitamin and vit b12, vit. D and magnesium. 5 months off Paxil. Still suffering.recently added 1.2mg of Paxil to alleviate withdrawals.(Nov 30)Dropped to .9mg because having symptoms from reinstatement.(dec 23)<p>taper to .76mg-.8mg (Feb 3) approx. weight .010 to about .008-.009 on scale.
.6mg (march 19th.) .5mg(April 19th)
.4mg(April 27th)
.2 (June 27th)

0mg.  done taper at beginning of August.

@frustrated

are your problems physiological or psychological?

Both but the mental ninjas don't attack as much as they used to. Pain and burning especially in my legs is a big one for me. And stomach issues and nausea and occasionally the tense ball of anxiety that sits on your chest.

2002-put on amitryptiline for fibromyalgia. 10mg.2004-stopped abruptly. Didn't think it helped.2006 approx.-put on Paxil for mild anxiety 20 mg.2007 upped to 40 mg. not sure why.2011- tapered from 40 to 10. went nuts and went back to 20mg2014- tapered from 20mg to 0 from April to The end of June.current meds- Metformin(type 2 diabetic) and low dose aspirin.Take multi vitamin and vit b12, vit. D and magnesium. 5 months off Paxil. Still suffering.recently added 1.2mg of Paxil to alleviate withdrawals.(Nov 30)Dropped to .9mg because having symptoms from reinstatement.(dec 23)<p>taper to .76mg-.8mg (Feb 3) approx. weight .010 to about .008-.009 on scale.
.6mg (march 19th.) .5mg(April 19th)
.4mg(April 27th)
.2 (June 27th)

0mg.  done taper at beginning of August.

i think that you should replace you paxil  by more relaxing herb. there are a lot of herb that favor relaxation and they might be of a great help

eat turkey, banana it make you sleepy and it helped me (weirdly )with the jerks at night 

people here prefer to suffer through years of withdrawal rather than gather and study paxil effects and look for ways to reverse them painlessly and safely .there has to ways but most I guess are to complacent to act

I don't think the problem is complacency. We are mainly non-medical people and don't know how to design drugs or form protest movements. I share your belief that this is a serious societal problem and it is up to people like us to tell others what we know. Those of us on here posting about it are activists in a sense. We know that researchers have studied our posts to get a picture of what withdrawal is like, for instance. Perhaps some of us will just be the seeds of a movement, but we are here, and that is a beginning.

2009: Cancer hospital said I had adjustment disorder because I thought they were doing it wrong. Their headshrinker prescribed Effexor, and my life set on a new course. I didn't know what was ahead, like a passenger on Disneyland's Matterhorn, smiling and waving as it climbs...clink, clink, clink.

2010: Post surgical accidental Effexor discontinuation by nurses, masked by intravenous Dilaudid. (The car is balanced at the top of the track.) I get home, pop a Vicodin, and ...

Whooosh...down, down, down, down, down...goes the trajectory of my life, up goes my mood and tendency to think everything is a good idea.
2012: After the bipolar jig was up, now a walking bag of unrelated symptoms, I went crazy on Daytrana (the Ritalin skin patch by Noven), because ADHD was a perfect fit for a bag of unrelated symptoms. I was prescribed Effexor for the nervousness of it, and things got neurological. An EEG showed enough activity to warrant an epilepsy diagnosis rather than non-epileptic ("psychogenic") seizures.

:o 2013-2014: Quit everything and got worse. I probably went through DAWS: dopamine agonist withdrawal syndrome. I drank to not feel, but I felt a lot: dread, fear, regret, grief: an utter sense of total loss of everything worth breathing about, for almost two years.

I was not suicidal but I wanted to be dead, at least dead to the experience of my own brain and body.

2015: I  began to recover after adding virgin coconut oil and organic grass-fed fed butter to a cup of instant coffee in the morning.

I did it hoping for mental acuity and better memory. After ten days of that, I was much better, mood-wise. Approximately neutral.

And, I experienced drowsiness. I could sleep. Not exactly happy, I did 30 days on Wellbutrin, because it had done me no harm in the past. 

I don't have the DAWS mood or state of mind. It never feel like doing anything if it means standing up.

In fact, I don't especially like moving. I'm a brain with a beanbag body.   :unsure:

tanit: How to save our lives and future victims of big pharma

good question.. no easy or fast  answers....so settle in and make your self at home. 

I wish you peace and hope your doing better. 

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

tanit, are you taking 'more relaxing herb'? It really would help us if you would fill out a signature and tell us what kinf of supplements you are taking and what your drug history has been. The instructions are in my signature.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• Administrator

tanit, you are correct, downregulation of serotonin receptors and consequent dysregulation of other hormone systems are central to the effects of serotonergics (including SAM-e) and withdrawal syndrome.

But -- since the dysregulation is passed on to other systems, reversing adverse effects is not as simple as upregulating the serotonin receptors. Based on the period of serotonergic downregulation, the organism enters into a dysfunctional homeostatic state that may not immediately reverse when serotonergic downregulation reverts to normal.

In fact, that's probably the situation for most of the people who are suffering prolonged post-acute withdrawal syndrome: Their bodies are coping with the dysfunctional homeostasis which, while dysfunctional, still has a certain amount of inertia and changes slowly back to normal. (Which is what we call healing.)

Please do browse through our Journals section -- with your background, you can add a lot to our cause.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

What caused my problem  is paroxetine.I only took it for 1 month and is basically destroyed me .

I worked long time on receptors to know that it is a receptor problem.I can explain to you why it is so and believe me downregulating receptors is far from simple and it is the cause of aging and chronic diseases. Think of it, the serotonin stimulates the receptor , the receptor changes his conformation and stimulates other molecules .At first your body won`t react very much as it sensitivity for  serotonin is low but after a while it will become more sensitive to serotonin  and to balance this increase of serotonin sensitivity  you receptor will have to diminish so they will be sent  to lysosomes(acid filled vesicles for degradation)it is kind of adjustment to excess serotonin),because you are also pumping your body with excess serotonin ,you body will upregulate excitatory neurotransmitters as an adjustment else you won`t be able to function . then you just stop all of it and you find your self with excess excitatory neurotransmitter,with receptors that give transient signal not the sustained signal(just remember because you gave your body excess serotonin it kind of diminished the duration of its signalling as an adjustment too) so when you are afraid you will secrete stress hormones but in the normal case your body will use a reflex to counter this stress  but here your body due to excess serotonin reduced the duration of in serotonin signal and you won`t able to counter your fears and you will get a panic attack. the exact think causes the convulsions , the insomnia, the healing (serotonin help in tissue healing and regeneration)

it is simply  that your body has adjusted to excess serotonin.People reaction will depend on the degree of their adjustment 

The thing that really bothers me is the fact the pathways  that are related to serotonin are the cause of a lot of diseases like hypertension,stroke ,cancer.Really it is a very dangerous hormone to mess with .

But I think we can use the way our body store the information about its sensitivity state to our advantage.We could just erase that hypersensitity to tell our body to return to normal because by modulating molecule or two.

I have read a thousand theories and have not understood some of them some I have I always hoped one of them would pan out.  I am not too much into theories at this point what I am into is the brass facts of this:

".We could just erase that hypersensitity to tell our body to return to normal because by modulating molecule or two."

I could maybe force myself to one last theory I would literally have to force my brain to do it as I find it stalls and resists the next theory I am not sure if this just my brain failing or if it is a resistance based on all the past theories...I can't tell. 

I am all ears on how to "return to normal"  after all these years I forget what normal really is. 

peace

ps

Could you add a history so I know where you are coming from please and thank you. 

Had a car accident in 85
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

Here is my latest theory based on googlitis 

drug induced mastocytosis

does it exist 

only in my mind... 

drugs do cause problems sometimes big problems

http://informahealthcare.com/doi/abs/10.3109/10408449009089863

http://www.mastocytosis.ca/masto.html

mastocytosis now linked to chronic fatigue syndrome 

http://phoenixrising.me/archives/13083

Had a car accident in 85

• Moderator Emeritus

What caused my problem is paroxetine.I only took it for 1 month and is basically destroyed me .

I worked long time on receptors to know that it is a receptor problem.I can explain to you why it is so and believe me downregulating receptors is far from simple and it is the cause of aging and chronic diseases. Think of it, the serotonin stimulates the receptor , the receptor changes his conformation and stimulates other molecules .At first your body won`t react very much as it sensitivity for serotonin is low but after a while it will become more sensitive to serotonin and to balance this increase of serotonin sensitivity you receptor will have to diminish so they will be sent to lysosomes(acid filled vesicles for degradation)it is kind of adjustment to excess serotonin),because you are also pumping your body with excess serotonin ,you body will upregulate excitatory neurotransmitters as an adjustment else you won`t be able to function . then you just stop all of it and you find your self with excess excitatory neurotransmitter,with receptors that give transient signal not the sustained signal(just remember because you gave your body excess serotonin it kind of diminished the duration of its signalling as an adjustment too) so when you are afraid you will secrete stress hormones but in the normal case your body will use a reflex to counter this stress but here your body due to excess serotonin reduced the duration of in serotonin signal and you won`t able to counter your fears and you will get a panic attack. the exact think causes the convulsions , the insomnia, the healing (serotonin help in tissue healing and regeneration)

it is simply that your body has adjusted to excess serotonin.People reaction will depend on the degree of their adjustment

The thing that really bothers me is the fact the pathways that are related to serotonin are the cause of a lot of diseases like hypertension,stroke ,cancer.Really it is a very dangerous hormone to mess with .

Whoa. This explanation makes a ton of sense to me. May I ask... Is it the same with tricyclic antidepressants? Or is there a different explanation for the way they work? I have heard they are an NRI, but don't know what that means as far as the signaling you just explained. I know they are anticholinergic, which messes with cognition and motor control. I have also read that they destroy something in the brain called the glutathione enzyme, which also regulates psychomotor control.

Any additional explanations would rule!

**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged

it is the same except that you will have muscle weakness and paralysis and problems with nerve conduction

TCA are not just anticholinergic .They do more damage than that .

I will try to look for more data to help but I need some time 

I do not know I think only that the nature is far more wise than the people even if they try to find solutions. I always think it is so much seen everywhere for example by the materials, the nature makes tree which is not so dangerous, the people make concrete (if you fall on concrete from higher distance it is lost), it is a vain effort to win over the nature, it will be always wiser

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

What can ordinary people do to start a movement? I have thought about suing,but no amount of money can change what has happened to so many of us. I am in disbelief that your own mum did such thing. What do you suggest we do to make a change? WHo is going to listen? Certainly not the doctors who have prescribed Ad's in the first place. I feel for you and hope that you will heal and that the physical symptoms are not permanent. From your medical experience can the brain return to its original state in time? Best wishes.

DRUG HISTORY:

November 2013- Zoloft, ( Bad reaction).

January 2014 - March 2014 Seroquel.( Quit Cold Turkey).

January2014- Mirtazapine, I was taking 15mg at one stage, reduced to 7.5mg, Pgad reactions to Mirtazapine. Doctor kept increasing it to 37.5mg, until July 2014. No improvement, experiencing panic attacks, on 37.5 mg. I had enough by October 2014. Began tapering.

October 2014- Started tapering Mirtazapine from 37.5mg.

September 2015- Down to 4mg of Mirtazapine. Crashed.

September 16th- Up dosed to 5mg. Held this dose for almost 5 months. Stabilised.

February 2016- Began tapering again. From 5mg to 4.5mg of Mirtazapine. (Rocking the boat, again)! Lol. :(

• Moderator Emeritus

What can ordinary people do to start a movement? I have thought about suing,but no amount of money can change what has happened to so many of us. I am in disbelief that your own mum did such thing. What do you suggest we do to make a change? WHo is going to listen? Certainly not the doctors who have prescribed Ad's in the first place. I feel for you and hope that you will heal and that the physical symptoms are not permanent. From your medical experience can the brain return to its original state in time? Best wishes.

Class action lawsuits are the best.

• Moderator Emeritus

it is the same except that you will have muscle weakness and paralysis and problems with nerve conduction

TCA are not just anticholinergic .They do more damage than that .

I will try to look for more data to help but I need some time

Thank you.

I would be the first one to put my hand up, but not sure if other people would be willing to go through the process. I am still waiting to see how I will be once I get off Mirtz. Anyone?

DRUG HISTORY:

November 2013- Zoloft, ( Bad reaction).

January 2014 - March 2014 Seroquel.( Quit Cold Turkey).

January2014- Mirtazapine, I was taking 15mg at one stage, reduced to 7.5mg, Pgad reactions to Mirtazapine. Doctor kept increasing it to 37.5mg, until July 2014. No improvement, experiencing panic attacks, on 37.5 mg. I had enough by October 2014. Began tapering.

October 2014- Started tapering Mirtazapine from 37.5mg.

September 2015- Down to 4mg of Mirtazapine. Crashed.

September 16th- Up dosed to 5mg. Held this dose for almost 5 months. Stabilised.

February 2016- Began tapering again. From 5mg to 4.5mg of Mirtazapine. (Rocking the boat, again)! Lol. :(

Whoa tanit, you need to provide scientific evidence to back you statements, there are a lot of people here that are very sick and very scared. Please present the facts that back your statements. Sorry mods if this is out of line, but this type of information without hardcore facts to back it is the last thing people on here need to be reading.

Spring of 1998 place on birth control pills for irregular bleeding, high testosterone and one ovarian cyst, stayed on until April 2004, told to take hormone holiday, conceived first son 4 months later-VERY BIG SUPRISE, was told wouldn't be able to have childern or would need reproductive doctor to help. Got pregnant again 2006 with second son easily, then was on/off birthcontrol again until October 2011, concieved 3rd son in October 2011(tried many times to get pregant again when 2nd child was close to 2yrs, hormone problems started again after 2nd child, along with thyroid enlargement.

Spring of 2001 celexa 10 mgs-rx'd by pcp for complaints of chronic fatigue, irritability and weight gain, stayed on until June 2005, switched to Lexapro 20mgs for PPD, stayed on Lexapro 6-7 months, couldn't afford to see psyh dr. and Lexapro, saw PCP switched back to 20mgs celexa in 2007, remained on until November 2011, was c/t off due to 3rd pregnancy, baby had umbilical cord defect, seemed ok during pregnancy, except for crying jags here and there. Our miracle baby was born July 20th 2012, healthy except with reflux. One month later the anxiety,restlessness,horrible crying, insomnia and the deepest depression ever. That started the psyh drug nightmare-benzo's,antidepressants, sleeping pills, mood stablizers. Nothing help made me worse, doctors just kept changing the meds frequently. 4 mental health hospitalizations, rapid detox off benzos Jan 2013, horrible withdrawal and still suffering withdrawal symptoms NO ONE BELIEVES ME, I feel like ive been on one consistant drug withdrawal for the past 2 years

January 2014 slow titrate up of lexapro to 20 mgs-horrible side effects!!, was just rapidly taper by current pysh off to pursade me to try an MAOI-no way!!! Was told should consider ECT

Whoa tanit, you need to provide scientific evidence to back you statements, there are a lot of people here that are very sick and very scared. Please present the facts that back your statements. Sorry mods if this is out of line, but this type of information without hardcore facts to back it is the last thing people on here need to be reading.

I know how scary it is to read "scientific" posts about what is supposed to be happening to us regarding a/d use and withdrawal.  Sometimes just seeing certain words can cause terror in me. 

Please don't read these kinds of posts unless coming form Alto or one of the mods as I do completely believe that all the credible info that is out there is available here.  I was scared too when I read tanit's post  But Alto's response to that post is soooooooo comforting because she not only understands what there is to be understood about the effect of drugs on the brain, but she has seen hundreds of healings and believes that we all get better over time.  I would just stick to reading posts from her and from the mods who have knowledge of the healing that happens to us all. 

(((Hugs)))  I completely believe that you're going to be just fine.....in time  Just getting through each day is a tribute to your courage and tenacity.  Today (and everyday) your brain is working on solving the dsyregulation caused by the meds.  Its whole goal is to return you to balance.  Ir just takes so much longer than we had ever thought it would.  xo

1971-81  Valium 5mg c/t PAWS     1992- through now Zoloft 25mg    2003-05 Valium 12mg Slow Taper Off

2013 Afrin Exposure to CNS    2013 O/D Val 230mg    2013 Doxepin 50mg Clonidine 2mg Zoloft 25mg

3/15/16  Doxepin 49mg Micro Tapering  Zoloft 24.3mg Holding taper

3/15/16 Clonidine mg 0.1 1/2 -    Decreasing incrementally.  DISCONTINUED

10/9/16  Doxepin 48.9  Zoloft 24.3  Clonidine  01.10  Continuing micro taper on Doxepin.

11/16/16 Doxepin 48mg  Zoloft 24.3mg  Clonidine 1.30mg

5/4/17  Doxepin 45mg  Zoloft 24mg  Clonidine 1.20mg   Micro taper of Doxepin  , Clonidine

01/13/19  Doxepin 45mg   Zoloft 21mg   Will start Micro taper of Doxepin 2/19

12/21/21  Doxepin 20 mg ?  Reducing using water micro taper--Pulling 24ml from 75ml

12/2121   Zoloft .060 grams by weight--HOLDING (info from post added by CC: On 12/21/21 my dosage was .060grams by weight or 20mg. )

26 Apr 2022 - Zoloft at -0-

Iam really feeling bad about sharing science here 

Ok.You can ask altostrata. I never said most don`t heal . Most people get better 

I was  only  trying to help , not to scare anybody. It was to say that with the right help and research  you could be cured in weeks.

YOU people never got what I was saying .  

I won`t post anymore . You can just relax 

i think that you should replace you paxil by more relaxing herb. there are a lot of herb that favor relaxation and they might be of a great help

eat turkey, banana it make you sleepy and it helped me (weirdly )with the jerks at night

people here prefer to suffer through years of withdrawal rather than gather and study paxil effects and look for ways to reverse them painlessly and safely .there has to ways but most I guess are to complacent to act

Some of us are so sensitve we can't take "relaxing herb" or even change our diet. Our entire CNS is whacked out.

"People here" do not WANT to suffer for years on end. But, we have found that since these pills touch every cell in our bodies and have for quite some time, it is about a lot more than seratonin. Just because these meds are marketed to correct

Neurotransmitters does not mean they do not affect and disturb other systems. They affect everything.

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

my life is hell .

but anything that has gaba will make you better if you have been on ssri .

serotonin regulates a lot of systems you know even your blood pressure and your endocrine system.

The medication does`not correct neurotransmitter . it messes them . It make serotonin stay in your synapse more than it should be . that is why your receptor become desensitized. 

anyway it is not nice when somebody tries to help by pointing to the problem and people start screaming at him because they are afraid .

I am afraid and nauseous but I want to understand  my problems so I can fix them .

I am not too sure what you are responding to... 

What are you responding to? 

I think this person is just thinking out loud not making any firm connections on how to fix this... tho the complacency bit was like waving a read flag at a site full of bulls... please don't let that get to you...

You never know what one of these posts from a questioning mind ,might turn up some day... I read them all and ignore their ignorance this is a great place to get an educations and I see folks are right on the money ready to do the job.   However I am sad to see a questioning mind shut down just because he poked a tiger with a stick. :) 

I hope you come back taint you can talk to me.. or pm me... I like ideas the more the better maybe one of them one day will be right more likely a bunch of of bits will be right... 

people here are not going to take being call complacent guess you have learned that one... 

peace all

Had a car accident in 85

my life is hell .

but anything that has gaba will make you better if you have been on ssri .

serotonin regulates a lot of systems you know even your blood pressure and your endocrine system.

The medication does`not correct neurotransmitter . it messes them . It make serotonin stay in your synapse more than it should be . that is why your receptor become desensitized.

anyway it is not nice when somebody tries to help by pointing to the problem and people start screaming at him because they are afraid .

I am afraid and nauseous but I want to understand my problems so I can fix them .

Gaba made me horribly depressed. I tried it in a supplement and from food sources. Then it went paradoxical and made me feel like I drank a venti espresso.

I'm aware the meds don't correct neurotransmitters. I said that they are "marketed" that way, to balance them. We know that is not true.

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

I am not too sure what you are responding to...

What are you responding to?

I think this person is just thinking out loud not making any firm connections on how to fix this... tho the complacency bit was like waving a read flag at a site full of bulls... please don't let that get to you...

You never know what one of these posts from a questioning mind ,might turn up some day... I read them all and ignore their ignorance this is a great place to get an educations and I see folks are right on the money ready to do the job. However I am sad to see a questioning mind shut down just because he poked a tiger with a stick. :)

I hope you come back taint you can talk to me.. or pm me... I like ideas the more the better maybe one of them one day will be right more likely a bunch of of bits will be right...

people here are not going to take being call complacent guess you have learned that one...

peace all

I think Sylar is scared. I understand where she is. This is not a discussion that is easy to have when you are as sick as she is. :(

Btdt, ya I think in large part the tone is what has been possibly misinterpreted here (the whole mention of complacency etc) like you said. Waving a red flag in front of bulls. Lol

if gaba makes depressed   you then you have low cortisol or you are taking benzo .

gaba helps with insomnia but if you are taking benzo which lower cortisol ,gaba will lower it even more and you will feel lethargic and depressed even cold .

my head is out of whack too .hyoscine gives me fever (Buscopan).Imagine !!!!!

I would advice you to go to a sunny place.Sun helps with neurotransmitter regulation(too bad it is winter ) with no side effects .

if gaba makes depressed you then you have low cortisol or you are taking benzo .

gaba helps with insomnia but if you are taking benzo which lower cortisol ,gaba will lower it even more and you will feel lethargic and depressed even cold .

my head is out of whack too .hyoscine gives me fever (Buscopan).Imagine !!!!!

I would advice you to go to a sunny place.Sun helps with neurotransmitter regulation(too bad it is winter ) with no side effects .

Well, the sun overstimulates me actually now. Not as bad as it did a couple of months ago, it used to make me very nervous and anxious earlier in withdrawal. I can only tolerate it for short periods. But, I try to get some sunlight every day.

Ya, the gaba was a disaster. I tried to eat turkey a few months ago and it gave me awful symptoms. I was paranoid and messed up for days. :(

And yes, I do have low cortisol. They told me I had adrenal fatigue last year, but I don't know if that diagnosis is even valid.

It takes some time and study if you can remember things to get the hang of what this is all about please Taint don't stop posting but take some time to sort thru some of the articles and post so you can get a good handle on what is happening in our small world here.  

People are sensitive we all have issues trying to get family and anyone else who is not in wd to understand what is going on with us.  Please be kind to yourself too... 

Could you please post a specific history .. it would be helpful

drug dose timeline how you got off 

I wish you peace

Had a car accident in 85