Indigo

indigo

Freespirit, my WD symptoms are mostly anxiety, repeating dark thoughts and insomnia. The cannabis oil is really helping with these.Gives me a calm, grounded feeling, stops thought spinning and helps me sleep.

On 20 mg of Prozac for about ten years. Sept 2012 started reducing 10% a drop using gram scale, with average of one month holds.

When I'd reached the half way mark, taking 10 mg  powder out of the 20 mg capsules, I switched over to 10 mg capsules and cutting

down from those. Withdrawals got harder the lower I dropped.  May 2013 changed to 5% drops, holding until all withdrawal symptoms gone.

January 2015 changed to liquid prozac (concentration of 20MG per 5 mL) using a 1mL oral syringe.

Current dose of fluoxetine solution equivalent 3.4 mg. Any effort to drop below this has been disastrous so for the time being I'm staying at this level.
Adding 200 mg Tryptophan and 200 GABA a day has helped with anxiety.
Also take 1,300mg Omega- 3,  875mg  Magnesium, 1800mg Curcumin, 1000mg Vit C, 5000 Vit D.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• indigo

• Addax

• Rhiannon

• freespirit

Top Posters In This Topic

That's great you're getting such good relief from the oil. I'm still researching and hoping to find a way to get some medical cannabis.

Remeron for depression. Started at 7.5 mg. in 2005. Gradual increases over 8 years, up to 45 mg. in 2012.Began tapering in June 2013. Went from 45 to 30 mg in the first 3-4 months. Held for a couple of months.Started tapering by 3.75 mg every month or 2, with some longer holding periods. Eventually went down to 3.75 mg. about April 2014. Stopped taking Remeron August 2014. Developed issues with histamine a week after stopping--symptoms reduced through diet and a few supplements. Currently having issues with a few foods. Most of the histamine intolerance has resolved or is at least, in remission.

Current Medications:

Current Supplements: Cannabis (CBD and THC), Vitamin C, D, Quercetin, CoQ10, Tart Cherry, Probiotic, Phytoplankton oil, magnesium, Methyl B. What has helped me most: spending time in nature, qi gong, exercise, healthy diet, meditation, IV vitamins, homeopathy, massage, acupuncture, chiropractic, music, and cuddling my cats..

My introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8459-mirtazapine-withdrawal-freespirit/#entry144282

Please note: I am not a therapist or medical practitioner. Any suggestions offered come solely from my personal experience in recovering from childhood trauma, therapy, and AD use. Please seek appropriate care for yourself.

“After a cruel childhood, one must reinvent oneself. Then re-imagine the world.”
Mary Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

Having a very hard day.  Feeling lonely but haven't been reaching out because feel too vulnerable.  Today risked emailing a friend

to ask if she had time for a chat this weekend.  She wrote back "My sister's coming". Perfectly reasonable at any 

other time but I felt rejected that she didn't suggest another time. And now I keep crying. So pathetic that a minuscule drop

can do this to me. What do you all do to get through days like this?

On 20 mg of Prozac for about ten years. Sept 2012 started reducing 10% a drop using gram scale, with average of one month holds.

When I'd reached the half way mark, taking 10 mg  powder out of the 20 mg capsules, I switched over to 10 mg capsules and cutting

down from those. Withdrawals got harder the lower I dropped.  May 2013 changed to 5% drops, holding until all withdrawal symptoms gone.

January 2015 changed to liquid prozac (concentration of 20MG per 5 mL) using a 1mL oral syringe.

Current dose of fluoxetine solution equivalent 3.4 mg. Any effort to drop below this has been disastrous so for the time being I'm staying at this level.
Also take 1,300mg Omega- 3,  875mg  Magnesium, 1800mg Curcumin, 1000mg Vit C, 5000 Vit D.

Hi Indigo,

It's really tough engaging with the rest of the world when feeling so vulnerable. Most people don't recognize or don't know how to respond to it, or are even afraid of it. We often don't know how to respond to it within ourselves. I'm sorry your friend wasn't more compassionate with you. I find it especially hard when I do finally reach out and am not met...partly because I do it so rarely. My default position is to go through it alone.

I don't think it's pathetic that a small decrease affects you this way. For whatever reasons, it's just true that this is what happens for you. It's not like you have control over this...it's what your body/mind is doing in response to those changes.

Nature is often my best support when feeling lonely. That might mean staying away from walking at the beach (too many people)..and walking in the woods instead. I make an effort to connect as best I can...feeling myself held by the trees, the wind, the sky. It's easier for me to feeling belonging with the natural world..and I think you've said that for yourself too.

Sometimes listening to music or reading things by people I feel get loneliness can help me feel less alone in it. Strangely, sad songs are more comforting at those times.

It's a tough one to ride out. I've spent a lot of time there in the past few years..and well, throughout my life.

Remeron for depression. Started at 7.5 mg. in 2005. Gradual increases over 8 years, up to 45 mg. in 2012.Began tapering in June 2013. Went from 45 to 30 mg in the first 3-4 months. Held for a couple of months.Started tapering by 3.75 mg every month or 2, with some longer holding periods. Eventually went down to 3.75 mg. about April 2014. Stopped taking Remeron August 2014. Developed issues with histamine a week after stopping--symptoms reduced through diet and a few supplements. Currently having issues with a few foods. Most of the histamine intolerance has resolved or is at least, in remission.

Current Medications:

Current Supplements: Cannabis (CBD and THC), Vitamin C, D, Quercetin, CoQ10, Tart Cherry, Probiotic, Phytoplankton oil, magnesium, Methyl B. What has helped me most: spending time in nature, qi gong, exercise, healthy diet, meditation, IV vitamins, homeopathy, massage, acupuncture, chiropractic, music, and cuddling my cats..

My introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8459-mirtazapine-withdrawal-freespirit/#entry144282

Please note: I am not a therapist or medical practitioner. Any suggestions offered come solely from my personal experience in recovering from childhood trauma, therapy, and AD use. Please seek appropriate care for yourself.

“After a cruel childhood, one must reinvent oneself. Then re-imagine the world.”
Mary Oliver

Thanks so much for your support freespirit. It helps so much to feel understood. I went for a long hike

with my dog this afternoon, along a river through huge redwoods. Just being near trees that have been

growing there since before humans started measuring time, helps put things in perspective. Feeling thankful

I live in a wild, beautiful place. 

Hats sounds lovely, indigo. That's somewhere I would like to visit someday.

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

Thinking of you and prey you are feeling a bit better soon. We are all doing so well under these, almost impossible, circumstances. I hope that our journeys will cause some real change, over time, to the way these prescriptions are dealt with. So there you are, you, my friend, are a trailblazer.

2003 Zoloft for PND. No other Psych history before this.

2009 CT. Huge withdrawal. Voluntary hospital admission. Successfully stabilized on 40mg Prozac.

2012 CT after 2 years of tapering to 10mg. Another Disaster. No hospital admission. Stabilized 40mg Prozac

2014 CT after 2 years of tapering to 5mg. Destabilized but not as bad as previous. Found this site. Reinstated 5mg. Stabilized quickly but held for 6 months.

Feb 2015 4mg Prozac

March 2015 Tramadol for Pain after an OP. Didn’t realize it was an SNRI.

March 2015 3 mg Prozac

April 2015 2.5mg Prozac

May 2015 2mg Prozac

June 2015 Destabilized (After research believe it was delayed withdrawal due to the Tramadol)

July 11th 2015. Updosed to 2.5mg

Sounds heavenly Indigo. I imagine having your dog beside you was healing as well. Where would we be without nature or our pets?

Current Medications:

Mary Oliver

Yes. My animals have been my saviours ever since I remember.

As I posted before, I had been trying CBD canabis oil, to help relieve intense anxiety and sadness. 

It certaily seemed to work in that regard. An hour after I took a drop of it I felt way better for the rest of the day.

However I began to notice that next day I felt worse. Sort of crashed. At first I didn't connectit with taking the CBD oil.

I thought the dark spots were just part of withdrawal from my last drop and also

as I mentioned I'd been really stressed by having my house (very remote) broken into. Anyway, I decided to

stop taking the oil for a week to see if I stabilized. I do  seem to be steadier without the oil. Less up and down.

Still studying the process. It will take longer than a week to tell. I'll let you know.

(By the way, to re-iterate,  medical CBD cannabis oil in a prescribed legal dose, is not the same smoking pot. It definitely does not get you high. Just relaxes)

• 1 month later...

How are you doing with the medical cannabis? I also take medical cannabis for joint pain and intrusive thoughts. If I take it before the low mood spirals up it prevents me from having dark intrusive thoughts. It also helps with pain and anxiety. I've discussed it with my doctor who says I'm using to buff down wd symptoms.

I would never recommend to others as you don't know what kind of reaction they can have.

Started Effexor August 2012 Sept'12-150mg=extreme anxiety Oct'12 cut half-75mg severe wds

Feb 2013 68.5mg. Mar'13- 65mg. Apr'13-59mg. May'13-57mg. June '13-52mg Aug'13 49.75mg.

Sep'13-48.75. Nov'13-47mg Dec'13-45..5mg

May 2014 42mg. Jun'14 40mg (depressive mood started). Aug'14 -40mg/ started brintellix 2.5mg

Oct '14 -39 Nov'14 36.89 Dec'14 34.45

Jan 2015- 31 Feb'15 29mg. Mar'15 26.72. Apr'15 24.48. May'15 22.31mg. Jun'15 20.30mg

Aug'15-18.89. Oct'15 16.96. Nov/16- 16.10. Dec/15- 15mg

Jan 2016-14.22. May'16 11.45. Aug'16-9.60. Sep/16- 8.88mg. Oct/16- 8.39mg. Nov/16- 8.13. Dec/16- 7.89

How are you Indigo? I'm also wondering where you are with using cannabis.

I'm on hiatus from using my cannabis crackers. I haven't had a bad reaction to it, but the past couple of times, I didn't feel great the following day either. Again, to be clear, I'm also using in very small amounts...and do not have a goal of getting whacked from it. It has in the past, helped with pain, lifted mood, improved sleep, and also relaxed my diaphragm--making me breathe a lot easier. I'm not recommending it either...just saying it has proved helpful through some parts...more so during WD, then after jumping off.

Current Medications:

Mary Oliver

• 4 weeks later...

Hi freespirit. I stopped usung CBD cannabis oil. Think it helped with anxiety in the short term

but felt using the oil made me less in touch with the exact path of my withdrawal.I've been off line for a awhile.

I was micro-tapering all summer. It wasn't totally easy, still got dark pervasive thoughts, 

and sudden bouts of anxiety even with miniscule drops and six week holds. However, as the

months passed I realized I was exhausted from always struggling to keep afloat. ( feeling devastated

if friends didn't call me back, feeling ashamed of being in dark mood and trying to hide it).

By end of July was down to 3.4 of prozac  and decided to hold at that level to rest and stabalize.

To avoid having to measure the liquid prozac every day in a 1 mL syringe( hard when travelling)

decided to get a compound pharmacy make capsules of 3.4 of prozac.

To soften impact of any dose/potency discrepancy will keep doing the 3.4 of liquid every other

day with the new 3.4 capsule on between days for awhile. ( awhile back I had a huge reaction when I 

switched from capsules to liquid prozac even though dose was  supposedly identical ).

How are you doing these days?

Hi Indigo,

Sorry, I somehow missed your post. I'm glad you're finding ways of easing things for yourself, as best you can. It sounds wise to be slow and careful, and not make things any more challenging than they are already.

I'm doing okay. As the summer went on, I started feeling better emotionally and physically. At the moment, am adjusting to the waning light and increase in cloudy, rainy days. Still riding my bike and walking nearly every day. A lot of wd symptoms have eased off for me. Seeing the chiropractor and doing acupuncture have both helped a great deal. Even the food sensitivities are better than they were a few months ago. Compared to last year at this time, things are hugely improved.

Current Medications:

Mary Oliver

Great news to hear you're feeling better. Rain sounds delicious from down here in California

but I grew up in a place where winterswere wet and dark so I lnow how that can be.

• 3 weeks later...

I had tapered my dose of prozac to 3.4 gms and had decided to stay at that level for several months to totally stabalize.

To avoid the fiddle of measuring the liquid prozac with a syringe every day, I decided to have a compounding pharmacy (Lauden Compounding Pharmacy, Santa Cruz, CA)

make up capsules of 3.4 of prozac. After a week or so on the new capsules I was in high anxiety and dark thoughts withdrawal. At first

I thought it was just the bump from changing from liquid to capsules. However I decided to weigh the each capsules with my accurate gram scale.

I was shocked at the discrepency between each capsule. Lowest was 264 mg the highest was 289 mg. Of course these weights include the filler powder

and weight of capsule, but clearly the dose of actual prozac in each capsule was way variant. Probably 3.2 some days, 3.5 other days.

I'm in the last stages of tapering and am extremely sensitive to even the slightest variation in dose.  I had been at same dose for four months

and had stabalized great. Now I'm all screwed up again. So back to liquid prozac and syringe, where at least I have exact control over what dose I'm getting.

Altostrata, (or anyone else) do you know if it is common for compounding pharmacies to be this casual about the measurement of medication in each capsule?

Yes I had problems with compounding capsules and those were with beads, no filler. I started counting and weighing myself. You mention there were fillers in the compounded caps, how do you know how much was actual Prozac?

Started Effexor August 2012 Sept'12-150mg=extreme anxiety Oct'12 cut half-75mg severe wds

Feb 2013 68.5mg. Mar'13- 65mg. Apr'13-59mg. May'13-57mg. June '13-52mg Aug'13 49.75mg.

Sep'13-48.75. Nov'13-47mg Dec'13-45..5mg

May 2014 42mg. Jun'14 40mg (depressive mood started). Aug'14 -40mg/ started brintellix 2.5mg

Oct '14 -39 Nov'14 36.89 Dec'14 34.45

Jan 2015- 31 Feb'15 29mg. Mar'15 26.72. Apr'15 24.48. May'15 22.31mg. Jun'15 20.30mg

Aug'15-18.89. Oct'15 16.96. Nov/16- 16.10. Dec/15- 15mg

Jan 2016-14.22. May'16 11.45. Aug'16-9.60. Sep/16- 8.88mg. Oct/16- 8.39mg. Nov/16- 8.13. Dec/16- 7.89

Come to think of it that's another concern.I had such a strong withdrawal  reaction

who knows what level of actual prozac they put in the capsules.

When I asked my doctor for a prescription for caps of 3.4 of prozac.

and  she called it in, they said they couldn't do 3.4 they could only do 3.5. (?)

I didn't know this untiI went to pick up and it said 3.5 on the bottle.

I told them this would not do, that I was tapering down off the drug and

was extremely sensitive to any dose variation.

They said  O.K. they'd change it to 3.4. (now apparently it was possible). 

Now that I find the capsules are so variant in content, I wonder why they didn't tell me,

" I'm sorry we can't gaurantee each capsule will be exactly 3.4".

It never ocurred to me a pharmacy would be this careless.

I want to warn people tapering to use extreme caution when using compounding pharmacies.

Hi Indigo,

Eventually got to say hi to your thread!

I'm so happy you have been doing great with long holding!

Your findings about compounding pharmacy is great! I hope you destabilize soon using the liquid.

Lex

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

Hi LexAnger,

Thanks for checking in. Yes,  after this compounding pharmacy fiasco I'll never complain again

about the fiddle of dealing with liquid and syringe. Feels great to know I have  exact control

over my dose. I guess you are also down to super low dose so know how senstive calibration

has to be at this stage of taper.

• Administrator

That is a terrible compounding pharmacy. You should complain to the state of California. They should lose their license.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Yes, incredible journey even with the insane tiny cut and slow taper. I decided to hold very long this time to give my body a break until a thorough stabilization. I feel the major issue is the sensitivity of my system after many years constant trigger by taper. I hope once my system is stabilized, it won't react that strong to future taper.

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

That is a terrible compounding pharmacy. You should complain to the state of California. They should lose their license.

I agree, though I'm concerned this might drag me into a legal situation for which I don't have the  emotional stamina.

However I think it would be good to have a list on the compounding pharmacies topic that warn  SAD members of bad pharmacies like this one. 

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hey Indigo - how you going?

Are you back on liquid now? 

Are you still getting some beautiful time outside with your helpful dog?

Let us know how you are going!

You bravely explored:

Because  when I was growing up my family were always telling me as I was crazy and 

threatening to send me to a mental insitution, I am very secretive about my emotional 

life and my use of anti-depressants. No one knew I was taking prozac except my husband

and one trusted friend. So now no one except them knows I'm dealing with WD.

It feels isolating and I feel as if I'm in the closet. On one hand I want to avoid being

stigmatized. On the other hand I want to speak up and warn others about the horrors

of AD. Would like to know how open other people are about their withdrawal struggle.

h, like Mad Pride.

I never did the stigma thing, after all, it was only a "chemical imbalance," right?  (as long as I stayed out of hospital which frightened me to the bone!)

In being open about my "mental illness," I found that I was able to find compassion for my limitations, and understanding for my "quirks," as people came to think of them.  Many even told me I couldn't be mentally ill.  I just smiled, remembering my own florid "mania," and said thank you.

However, being open about it made it difficult to get life & health insurance.  Sometimes, people you think are your friends disappear.  Too much to handle.  But were they really friends, then?  If I didn't hurt them directly with my illness - then why did they go away?

Then, there's the Crusade to Save The World From All Psychoactive Drugs.  Hmm.  I struggle with that one, too.  I want to write a play about it.  But the playwright is starting to think of it as a "mental illness issue" and not what it is - a commercial and marketing issue that ruins lives.  Hmm.  Do we really think that 30% of Americans are mentally ill?

I have friends with severe mental / drug disability who don't tell a soul.  They work (part time), go to church, run marathons, and while their friends know they "take pills," doesn't everybody?  Then, I have other friends who are more like me - if you get to know me, you know that this recovery thing is a big part of my picture.  BUT - I don't work, I'm a dependant spouse.  (thank goodness he understands!)  I feel that those of us in the open and sharing group get a better deal, less anxiety (do they know? Are they thinking about me?) and more support in our journey.

It's awesome that you have done a little activist posting on FB to get a feel for what the "consensus" was out there.

But the balance between the two - telling no one - and telling everyone - is yours to walk.  

I hope you see the sun today!

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

I'm doing O.K. Thanks for asking.

Took a three month hold on dropping to find out what it felt like to fully stabilize.

It worked great. Such a relief to feel "normal". 

A couple of weeks ago I did another micro-drop.

Took awhile for WD to hit me. Didn't recognise it at first because of my long rest from drops.

But then realised was being way too obsessive about stuff that upset me (American politics)

and having to steer around negative feelings again.

I've started taking 100 mg 5-HTP to get me through this new drop and it does seem to be easing things.

Happy for you indigo !

Me too been holding for 3+ months since the hardest hit, the longest hold ever since tapering.

I too started feeling stabilization here and there one day or another.

Wish you continuously feel well for the holiday!

Lex

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

Thanks LexAnger.

• 8 months later...

Indigo, have just had a read through your topic and just wanted to say I hope your doing well :)

Started Citalopram in 2005 (aged 15) for apparent "OCD" - 60mg 

July 2015 attempted 2 x 10% + cuts 4 weeks apart. WD symptoms intense at times. Need to slow down.

November 2016 - Resumed taper. 1.25 - 1.5% decrease weekly approx.

44.5mg November 2016. Jan 2017 42.5 mg. March 2017 40 mg. June 2017 37mg. September 2018 22mg. Nov 2018 Holding at 22mg to stabilise from moderate wave. January 2020 - Holding, mostly feeling fine, but still having some waves at times. 

February 2020 - Resumed taper , 1.5% reduction weekly/every two weeks. 

• 4 months later...

I haven't been posting on here for a long time but today I checked in and read through all my old posts and felt thankful for all the support and input I've had from you all. A bit discouraging though to realize  I'm still at the same 3.4mg of Prozac.

Gave up even trying to drop almost a year ago (I think). Thought I'd try other remedies to help me stabilize before more drops.

First tried organic cannabis oil from a Medical Marijuana collective oil. It was soothing and relieved obsessive thinking and anxiety on the days I tried it but then I'd crash the next day and my symptoms would be way worse, so I stopped.

Next I tried the amino acid supplements. First 5-HTP at night to help me sleep. Really helped me sleep. But a week later I was crashing the following day after taking it. Tried L-Tryptphan which seemed to help a bit bt then same crash afterwards.

So now I am pretty much the same place in my withdrawal as I was a year ago. Still at 3.4mg. Still waking in early hours of the morning with obsessive dark thoughts and anxiety. Get through most days pretty normally unless something triggers emotional stress, then I seem to have a very low threshold and end up sobbing and feeling hopeless.

This is no way to live. It should be this hard. I'm considering slowly re-instating micro doses at a time to see if I can  find the lowest level where I can stabilize and be happy at a low dose of prozac. At this point I'm tired of the struggle. I'd like to hear from you all. How are you all doing? Anyone else decide to stay on a low dose indefinitely?

Indigo. From what I can gather, some have decided to stay at a low level which is understandable. You are still on 3.4 mg Prozac ?

It sounds like you have been trying lots of supplements which could possibly make things worse and halt healing in the long run. Do you feel that you are sensitive ?

Instead of giving up , I would hold for now and then do a slow taper. You don't have too much to go and then you're free. 

Have you tried or thought about micro - tapering ? 

Micro-taper instead of 10% or 5% decreases

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

I am already micro-tapering at 1% with at least six month holds.

• Mentor

I'm considering slowly re-instating micro doses at a time to see if I can  find the lowest level where I can stabilize and be happy at a low dose of prozac. At this point I'm tired of the struggle. I'd like to hear from you all. How are you all doing? Anyone else decide to stay on a low dose indefinitely?

hi, so sorry you are struggling still, it's been quite a long haul for you. I didn't read your whole thread, but am wondering, have you had any good long windows at all? That would influence my decision about what to do.

as for me, I am currently at 0.3mgs of liquid lexapro and have decided to stay at this dose for as long as I can get a dr to prescribe it for me. as you can see from my signature, I was at a very high dose for several years and have a total of about 14 yrs on the lexapro, going up and down in the dose too many times, unfortunately.

I have a very long psych drug history (many different drugs, all types) I feel I need more time to heal, I'm now almost 61 yrs old.

I may, in the future, consider updosing a wee bit if I have too many bad waves, but for now I'm good at the tiny dose I'm on.

I don't know how much this helps you, as we are all very different.

but I do understand wanting to know if there are others with at least a similar story, and that there are success stories after a long struggle like yours.

I hope you feel a lot better soon

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PRIVATE MESSAGES, thank you. 

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • PRESENT DAYS:  Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

Thanks catnapt. Yes, I have been down for a long time now. Some days are better than others and yes I guess I have had windows. These seem to happen when I have no emotional stress in my life. However I've noticed my crashes happeb because I have an extremely low emotional stress threshold.  Someone will say something harsh or not call me back, or cancel a date to get together with a feeble excuse and I'll  totally crash. I'm thinking that perhaps  in some people the drugs alter brain so that it becomes super sensitive and reactive. So the big question is how much of this is withdrawal from the drug? And how much is just the way my brain is now? What would be best is learning coping mechanisms to live well from now on without having to resort to the drug again. Writing a journal helps, meditating helps. Being with people instead of hiding out helps. I'm working at all of these.

• 4 years later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi @indigo--It would be wonderful to hear how you're doing.  I hope you're doing well.  Arbor

Zoloft: 1995 - 2015

Prozac: 2015 - 2018 (tapered from 40mg x day on July 31 to 30mg on August 31 to 20mg on September 31 to 10mg October 31 to 0mg on  December 15, 2018

Gabapentin: 2016 to 2019  (tapered from 300mg x day to 150mg on August 31, 2019 to 75mg on September 15 to 50mg on September 31 to 25ishmg on October 15 to 0mg on December 1, 2019

Enalapril: 2010 - 2019

Lipitor: 2017 -2017

Metformin: 2000 - 2020

Liothyronine: 2007 - 2019

Levothyroxine: 2000 - 2022