UselessSpork: Mirtazapine withdrawal, from 45 mg down to 3.9 mg

UselessSpork

Yep i know exactly what you mean. i have only had issues for a year and a half and i already forgot these normal emotions lol.

(November 26 2013) Had a reaction to taking CBD oil and had a panic attack that started this whole thing.

(November 9 2014) 8.6 months on Mirtazapine, started tapering down random amounts.

(January 17 2015) *STOPPED TAKING MIRTAZAPINE* after an unstable 2 month taper.

(February 5 2015) *REINSTATED at 3.9 MG OF MIRTAZAPINE* after nearly 3 weeks of a very unstable windows and waves pattern

(February 5 2015 ) Felt better right away after reinstating, am more stable than i was at 0mg, but am still not as stable as i was PRE-TAPER.

(April 19 2015) After waiting around 2 months from Feb 5 and i started to feel ok enough, i reduced from 3.9 mg to 3.5 mg. then continued to reduce by about .4 mg every 2 or so weeks.

The reductions were going quite smoothly and i wasn't feeling too bad in general... until...

(July 13 2015) Shortly after reducing from 1.9 mg to 1.6 mg i hit a wall and my mood started to become noticeably worse in general

(August 4) after not really improving much i reduced from 1.6 mg to 1.5 mg, and i have been holding ever since.

I feel bad in general these days despite holding, and feel im not too much better than i was during January 17 to February 5 after jumping off at 4 MG.

I am questioning if taking the drug is actually making me worse, i dunno.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UselessSpork

• Hopefull

• freespirit

• AliG

Top Posters In This Topic

So it's been about 2 months now since i reinstated, overall it has helped quite a bit over the time i was trying to huff it at 0 mg (after the fast taper) I cant remember if am back to how i felt prior to tapering.. i still get some crappy waves. im not sure if i will ever get stable enough to not have these crappy days... so my question is. should i keep waiting before i restart a super slow taper? or could i just go for it now.

(November 26 2013) Had a reaction to taking CBD oil and had a panic attack that started this whole thing.

(November 9 2014) 8.6 months on Mirtazapine, started tapering down random amounts.

(February 5 2015) *REINSTATED at 3.9 MG OF MIRTAZAPINE* after nearly 3 weeks of a very unstable windows and waves pattern

(February 5 2015 ) Felt better right away after reinstating, am more stable than i was at 0mg, but am still not as stable as i was PRE-TAPER.

(April 19 2015) After waiting around 2 months from Feb 5 and i started to feel ok enough, i reduced from 3.9 mg to 3.5 mg. then continued to reduce by about .4 mg every 2 or so weeks.

The reductions were going quite smoothly and i wasn't feeling too bad in general... until...

(July 13 2015) Shortly after reducing from 1.9 mg to 1.6 mg i hit a wall and my mood started to become noticeably worse in general

(August 4) after not really improving much i reduced from 1.6 mg to 1.5 mg, and i have been holding ever since.

I feel bad in general these days despite holding, and feel im not too much better than i was during January 17 to February 5 after jumping off at 4 MG.

• Moderator Emeritus

There are no set rules here Spork . . . you've given it a good chance.    I err on the side of caution , and would most likely

wait another month if I were in your shoes ( you know I waited 8 months after a major shake-up before starting to taper).

Just curious:  how long do the bad waves last.   Hours , minutes , all day?   Helpful if you can elaborate.  

Thanks ,  Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

how frequent are the crappy waves?

Fresh and I are trying to get a sense of how stable or otherwise you are.   Holding longer never hurts but tapering prematurely can

D

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

Maybe on average i have a crappy wave every 5 days or so. then 1 or 2 bad days.. or it goes 1 bad day, then a good, then another bad. there still isn't really a pattern, yeah i could hold on for another month. I  just want to get off them because they damage your brain the longer you are on them, but i guess i wont rush it. I learned my lesson the first time. And keep in mind my idea of a "crappy wave" is nowhere near as bad as some of the waves i hear about on this forum, but its still kind of awful.

• 2 weeks later...

Well i think im gonna try tapering down from 3.9 to 3.5 tonight with my scale. i still get these waves that last for a few days, and it doesn't seem to be getting a whole lot better than that. i have been back on for around 70 days now, so ill taper down... see how i react. My question is.. why is my brain taking sooooo long? why am i still having waves and windows when im not withdrawing anymore, i have been back on for 70 days. is this just normal fluctuations that happen because my brain is on these drugs? i noticed back way back when i was on 45 MG (before i did any tapering) that there was a similar pattern. i would have some good days then BAM a few bad.. then good again .. and rinse and repeat.

Is it fair to call them windows and waves anymore? how can i still be withdrawing while i have been back on for 70 days >.< granted ...the windows and waves pattern has stabilized moreso since restarting.. but its still there, so whats going on exactly? i noticed that way back (prior to any tapering) when i was on 45 MG, that i would have a similar windows and waves pattern. i would have some decent to good days for a while then i would hit some bad days out of the blue then go back to decent to good days again, rinse and repeat. Although it was most stable than how i am currently, the frequency of the 'waves' was less. so could anyone shed some light on this?

Hi Spork,

I'll leave the more technical questions for someone who knows more...but when I read your post, it made me think back to when I was on mirt. I think I had the pattern you describe and it would hit for no reason I could figure out. Are the waves more physical or emotional or both? I've noticed a pattern where things are often worse physically, then the emotional wave will hit sometime later on. but I'm guessing that every person is different.

Remeron for depression. Started at 7.5 mg. in 2005. Gradual increases over 8 years, up to 45 mg. in 2012.Began tapering in June 2013. Went from 45 to 30 mg in the first 3-4 months. Held for a couple of months.Started tapering by 3.75 mg every month or 2, with some longer holding periods. Eventually went down to 3.75 mg. about April 2014. Stopped taking Remeron August 2014. Developed issues with histamine a week after stopping--symptoms reduced through diet and a few supplements. Currently having issues with a few foods. Most of the histamine intolerance has resolved or is at least, in remission.

Current Medications:

Current Supplements: Cannabis (CBD and THC), Vitamin C, D, Quercetin, CoQ10, Tart Cherry, Probiotic, Phytoplankton oil, magnesium, Methyl B. What has helped me most: spending time in nature, qi gong, exercise, healthy diet, meditation, IV vitamins, homeopathy, massage, acupuncture, chiropractic, music, and cuddling my cats..

My introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8459-mirtazapine-withdrawal-freespirit/#entry144282

Please note: I am not a therapist or medical practitioner. Any suggestions offered come solely from my personal experience in recovering from childhood trauma, therapy, and AD use. Please seek appropriate care for yourself.

“After a cruel childhood, one must reinvent oneself. Then re-imagine the world.”
Mary Oliver

For me its almost zero physical symptoms, aside from a woozy/dizzy feeling.. its pretty much 100% emotional. Mostly anxiety.. sometimes depression, and other fun stuff like irritability and restlessness.

• Moderator Emeritus

how can i still be withdrawing while i have been back on for 70 days >.< 

The term "withdrawal" can be confusing because it makes it seem as if the symptoms experienced are simply the body longing for the drug, whereas symptoms can persist long after reinstatement.  These symptoms seem to have more to do with the destabilizing effects of tapering than with the presence or absence of the drug in the system.  The symptoms heal not with the reinstatement of the drug (though reinstatement can help) but with the passage of time.  "Windows" and "waves" refer to the experience of regaining nervous system stability, and it's not at all surprising that waves have been stirred up from your taper.  I hope things settle down soon, Spork.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

2 month taper down to zero

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

6 or so months back to regular dose of 150 - was able to restabilize fine.

3 month taper back to zero

1 HORRENDOUS week at zero

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

One week at 150 - unable to stabilize.

Back down to 75 mgs

At 75 mgs (half original dose) and suffering withdrawal symptoms since October 2012.

"It is a radical cure for all pessimism to become ill, to remain ill for a good while, and then grow well for a still longer period." - Nietzsche

Thanks alot for that, it clears up some confusion

Hi Spork,

Things will improve, beleive me. I am in a window phase at the moment, but I have been down , the "crap", shoute. Lol. I have noticed a pattern with tappering, WD symptoms. So don't loose hope. I don't have physical symptoms so much either, it is all psychological. Time does become your friend. Trust me you will get there. Keep going! cheers.

DRUG HISTORY:

November 2013- Zoloft, ( Bad reaction).

January 2014 - March 2014 Seroquel.( Quit Cold Turkey).

January2014- Mirtazapine, I was taking 15mg at one stage, reduced to 7.5mg, Pgad reactions to Mirtazapine. Doctor kept increasing it to 37.5mg, until July 2014. No improvement, experiencing panic attacks, on 37.5 mg. I had enough by October 2014. Began tapering.

October 2014- Started tapering Mirtazapine from 37.5mg.

September 2015- Down to 4mg of Mirtazapine. Crashed.

September 16th- Up dosed to 5mg. Held this dose for almost 5 months. Stabilised.

February 2016- Began tapering again. From 5mg to 4.5mg of Mirtazapine. (Rocking the boat, again)! Lol. :(

The emotional symptoms are tough to handle Spork. Are you finding anything that helps you ride through those? For me, it's harder to separate those and identify them as wd...I'm more likely to think they are actually me and not the destabilized nervous system. Are you managing to sleep okay?

Remeron for depression. Started at 7.5 mg. in 2005. Gradual increases over 8 years, up to 45 mg. in 2012.Began tapering in June 2013. Went from 45 to 30 mg in the first 3-4 months. Held for a couple of months.Started tapering by 3.75 mg every month or 2, with some longer holding periods. Eventually went down to 3.75 mg. about April 2014. Stopped taking Remeron August 2014. Developed issues with histamine a week after stopping--symptoms reduced through diet and a few supplements. Currently having issues with a few foods. Most of the histamine intolerance has resolved or is at least, in remission.

Current Medications:

Current Supplements: Cannabis (CBD and THC), Vitamin C, D, Quercetin, CoQ10, Tart Cherry, Probiotic, Phytoplankton oil, magnesium, Methyl B. What has helped me most: spending time in nature, qi gong, exercise, healthy diet, meditation, IV vitamins, homeopathy, massage, acupuncture, chiropractic, music, and cuddling my cats..

My introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8459-mirtazapine-withdrawal-freespirit/#entry144282

Please note: I am not a therapist or medical practitioner. Any suggestions offered come solely from my personal experience in recovering from childhood trauma, therapy, and AD use. Please seek appropriate care for yourself.

“After a cruel childhood, one must reinvent oneself. Then re-imagine the world.”
Mary Oliver

Naw, i have tried numerous things, but nothing works for relieving any emotional problems. i just gotta ride it out when it happens. my sleep is fine, and for me its pretty easily to tell what emotions are caused by my messed up brain, Those days where i just feel bad.. just because, no trigger, no reason.

Sometimes riding it out is the best possible solution. It's good you're able to sleep though...that makes a big difference in being able to handle the emotional part. Did you go ahead with your taper?

Current Medications:

Mary Oliver

Yeah i did, been having some crappy days. I started my taper on a crappy day though, so it could be im still just riding a stupid wave. fun stuff right here!

AD, the gift that keeps on giving. I hope that things ease off again for you.

I think I shared a guided imagery link on my thread...but here's a link to some free ones that can be listened to or downloaded. https://healthy.kaiserpermanente.org/health/care/!ut/p/a0/FchBDoMgEADAt_iAzYZEYfFmhH6hhdsGiZIIGELt99seZ9DjC33hO-3cUy18_uxCLD22md9bqnCnLVZ8okd_Nd4zoysVAocj_o9bT-GM6IzVap2MBamlBCGsgEWPBohoUkKp8UErXjnTZxmGL2IKPpI!/

I've been using some of these for a few years and like them. There have been some benefits from listening...maybe worth a try??

Hang in there Spork...windows will come again too.

Current Medications:

Mary Oliver

thanks Free, today was not bad. i always know that windows will come... but its like my brain literally forgets everytime i go back down. like how many times do i have to remind myself until it sticks? lol.. stupid stuff.

You're not alone in that respect. It's easy to forget that anything else in possible, when in those deeper places. My meditation teacher used to say that the brain was like Velcro for difficult experiences and Teflon for the good ones. It's part of our survival mechanism I think..focusing on the bad helped us survive..but is often not to useful in modern life.

I'm working with trying to refocus my mind more often on what's good...easier to do when in a window..I think over time, it will help me go there more often when things are tough too. Enjoy your window...knowing there are more to come.

Current Medications:

Mary Oliver

You speak the troof! you may have a cookie :o you hear that Velcro brain?

Yeah, apperently my stupid brain is so ridiculously sensitive to any change. just going from 3.9 to 3.5 mg has made the quality of the last 5 days go down, either that or i got a long low grade wave at the same time? ehh i doubt it. got the low grade depression going on, brain feels sluggish and i feel woozy/head fullness and i don't feel like doing all that much.. the norm for the past month has been anxiety, guess its back to this ****... wooot =/. why did i have to get stuck with such a useless sensitive brain, i really dont want to taper off for 10 goddamn months or more. It just seems ridiculous seeing as how i was only on it for 8 months before i started my previous fast taper. i almost feel like doing this part faster (despite my stupid brain acting up) then giving myself alot of time to stabilize at like 0.5 mg or whatever my final dose may be. I just want off this garbage so bad... my brain cant heal at all while im still on this ****.

It's hard not to become frustrated and impatient. It's perhaps worth remembering you were on a higher dose of the drug and came off pretty quickly. Your system is likely still dealing with that and hence, reacting more to smaller changes. I'd encourage you not to start disliking your brain! It's just doing what it will do, which is attempting to bring balance back..it just doesn't feel that great in the process.

I know a lot of people feel they can't heal while still on the drug. I felt that too. But, we don't know that for sure. I believe the things I did while withdrawing did help in the healing process though. One of the main factors was that it gave me back some sense of having  efficacy when things get difficult. It took me away from relying on one thing, or from feeling helpless when the **** hits the fan. In the short term, I don't always get relief from meditation, exercise, or whatever I chose to do...but I sense there is some underlying ground being built there..so that I don't fall in the holes like I used to. And it's part of believing I'm worthy of feeling better than I have in the past.

I forget whether you've tried any supplements?

Current Medications:

Mary Oliver

Thanks again for the reply, ill keep on keepin on, like i always do. It's just so damn difficult not to get impatient >.< .. anyways yeah i have tried supplements, they all did nothing or made me worse off. for me its a total crap shoot with supplements. i do take magnesium at night.. just for shits i guess. I did notice 5htp + magnesium helped me fall asleep when i was struggling at zero MG... but as for helping my mood i haven't found anything so far.

• Moderator Emeritus

Maybe on average i have a crappy wave every 5 days or so. then 1 or 2 bad days.. or it goes 1 bad day, then a good, then another bad. there still isn't really a pattern, yeah i could hold on for another month. I  just want to get off them because they damage your brain the longer you are on them, but i guess i wont rush it. I learned my lesson the first time. And keep in mind my idea of a "crappy wave" is nowhere near as bad as some of the waves i hear about on this forum, but its still kind of awful.

I'm sorry you didn't get a response after posting this, before deciding to cut again. I would have agreed with you that more holding was in order, for another month, or two or three... whatever it takes really.  Now I see that since making a small cut, your symptoms have got worse again, so if I were you, I would continue to hold where you are and not continue tapering as you suggested you might.

It just seems ridiculous seeing as how i was only on it for 8 months before i started my previous fast taper. i almost feel like doing this part faster (despite my stupid brain acting up) then giving myself alot of time to stabilize at like 0.5 mg or whatever my final dose may be. I just want off this garbage so bad... my brain cant heal at all while im still on this ****.

Eight months on this kind of medication is enough time for significant changes in the brain to take place, unfortunately, some people have a harder time coming off these drugs. If the dose you are on now is lower than what you were originally on, then your brain *is* healing, or rather its slowly reverting back to its default mode of operation.  Unfortunately, because of the too fast taper, your nervous system also has to recover from the shock, and resulting instability from that as well, so its like at the moment, its got two kinds of recovery going on.

This is a completely new kind of recovery that our bodies are having to learn how to do for the first time in human evolution. We have got pretty good at fixing damage from physical trauma, because this kind of injury has been around for a long time, but damage from toxic chemicals is something new.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

I'm sorry you didn't get a response after posting this, before deciding to cut again. I would have agreed with you that more holding was in order, for another month, or two or three... whatever it takes really.  Now I see that since making a small cut, your symptoms have got worse again, so if I were you, I would continue to hold where you are and not continue tapering as you suggested you might.

It just seems ridiculous seeing as how i was only on it for 8 months before i started my previous fast taper. i almost feel like doing this part faster (despite my stupid brain acting up) then giving myself alot of time to stabilize at like 0.5 mg or whatever my final dose may be. I just want off this garbage so bad... my brain cant heal at all while im still on this ****.

Eight months on this kind of medication is enough time for significant changes in the brain to take place, unfortunately, some people have a harder time coming off these drugs. If the dose you are on now is lower than what you were originally on, then your brain *is* healing, or rather its slowly reverting back to its default mode of operation.  Unfortunately, because of the too fast taper, your nervous system also has to recover from the shock, and resulting instability from that as well, so its like at the moment, its got two kinds of recovery going on.

This is a completely new kind of recovery that our bodies are having to learn how to do for the first time in human evolution. We have got pretty good at fixing damage from physical trauma, because this kind of injury has been around for a long time, but damage from toxic chemicals is something new.

Ahh well the last 3 days have been alright so, i might already be recovering from the small reduction, Its always so difficult to tell. Ill wait and feel it out.. then ill reduce again. My plan isn't to wait a set amount of time after every reduction... instead im gonna reduce when i feel like i am stable enough.

• 2 months later...

Well i haven't posted on here in a while and thought i might give it a go. So i have tapered down from 3.9 mg to 1.6 mg in the last 92 days, i have been doing it mostly by feel. What i mean is ill reduce and wait until i feel ok again and get a stretch of decent days to reduce again. It has been going decently for a while, hit some snags here and there in the form of bad depression for a day or 2 then it clears up.. it has been up and down but nothing i havent seen before. I got ups and downs throughout my entire nearly 2 year experience with depression/being on mirtazapine, and these recent taper up and downs haven't been too much different from those so it seemed things were chugging along. But that being said, now that i am down to 1.6 **** is starting to get hard.. i feel my last reduction was too much and i have been going through hell the last week. i went down by 0.3 mg. some of you may think that's too much at once but i have been going down by .4 mg every time and haven't had too too hard of a time, of course nothing is consistent.. sometimes i felt nothing after a taper. either way im gonna hold until i feel less awful and taper down by .1 mg at a time now. but im wondering why i have hit such a brick wall out of the blue... like i haven't had so many bad days so close together since i tried getting off 4 mg cold turkey some months back.

thanks

PS: when i say i have been going through hell i mean 100% mental problems namely depression and anxiety, and feeling very lethargic sometimes

This is very common. I've read about lots of people who experience problems at lower doses. The lower you go, the smaller cuts you need to make to feel tolerable, that's why the forum recommends the 10% rule of tapering - when you use it, the cuts get smaller the lower you go. Good luck

I suffer from depression, anxiety, pure-o ocd, and panic attacks since 2004. Been on multiple different psychiatric drugs since 2006. Never had a significant WD problem before, only brain zaps for a month and then I'd be fine...............Been on Cipralex (escitalopram) 15 mg and Fluanxol (flupentixol) 1 mg since Sep 2014. Stopped taking the Cipralex after a fast 20-day taper.Took the last 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 5th, 2015. Then took Seroxat (paroxetine) 10 mg for a week, and stopped it too. Severe WD started suddenly on Feb 16th. RI 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 18th, 2015. RI worked and was relatively stable for a while................April 7 - decreased Fluanxol from 1 mg to 0.5 mg and took it at this dose for a week. - BIG MISTAKE; April 13 - WD starts creeping in; April 14 - RI full dose of Fluanxol 1 mg => severe muscle twitching and jerking when trying to relax and fall asleep, overwhelming sense of doom, dread, terror, and horror, insomnia, hoping to stabilize.
Tried doing a 10% cut off Fluanxol in the end of May for a few days, but quickly updosed to full dose because the twitching returned.
Experiencing waves and windows in the following months.
Unsuccessful brief taper attempt of Fluanxol by 5% on November 1st. Symptoms hit the next day. Too scared to continue tapering, reinstate full dose.
Severe crash in November after stupidly trying a barbiturate on November 9th. Grave mistake. Sense of unshakable inescapable internal torture, like my soul is in hell being tortured, terror/horror/dread/doom (probably akathisia?) that gets especially bad when trying to relax and fall asleep, muscles twitch, jerk and move on their own, shaking, insomnia, can't eat, confusion, disorientation, brain not working normally. Never felt so bad in my entire life. Never experiment with other meds while in WD! Praying to God I stabilize and get back to my baseline.
December - things getting even worse.

January - unbearable suffering

ahh yeah, well i am going to slow down next taper. still weird that i hit this wall all of a sudden, rather than it gradually getting harder as i went down. was like i got hit with a brick, thanks for the reply :)

How are you doing? Things settling down at all, or still having worse mood?

Current Medications:

Mary Oliver

i dunno last 2 days have been better, but every time i say that my days just go bad again lol

• 3 weeks later...

Well done for getting close to getting off Mirtazapine. Hold your current dose, and wait to stabilize.

You will be fine.

DRUG HISTORY:

November 2013- Zoloft, ( Bad reaction).

January 2014 - March 2014 Seroquel.( Quit Cold Turkey).

January2014- Mirtazapine, I was taking 15mg at one stage, reduced to 7.5mg, Pgad reactions to Mirtazapine. Doctor kept increasing it to 37.5mg, until July 2014. No improvement, experiencing panic attacks, on 37.5 mg. I had enough by October 2014. Began tapering.

October 2014- Started tapering Mirtazapine from 37.5mg.

September 2015- Down to 4mg of Mirtazapine. Crashed.

September 16th- Up dosed to 5mg. Held this dose for almost 5 months. Stabilised.

February 2016- Began tapering again. From 5mg to 4.5mg of Mirtazapine. (Rocking the boat, again)! Lol. :(

Well the problem is, everytime i wait to feel decent again, i will just end up going down again whether i reduced or not. the ups and downs seem to be mostly independent of the reductions.. they just kinda happen whenever they want. A reduction may make the rollercoaster swing lower, but the reductions don't really seem to be dictating the roller coaster by themselves. It's very hard to decide if i am stable or not, so i have been mostly reducing when the rollercoaster goes back up.

• Moderator Emeritus

Have you thought about taking a "tapering holiday" for a month or two?   A good long hold to let everything catch up.   It seems to help.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Man today i was in absolute the worse hell i have been in since as long as i remember.. i got so depressed i felt faint and weak. This was even worse than the worse day i had after my fast taper then diving off 4mg to zero. I am completely baffled.. i dont understand how it can be so bad after my last taper was 10 days ago and i only went down from 1.6 mg to 1.5 mg... even less than 10%. how can i feel worse while doing everything right and tapering slow vs diving off 4 mg at once and trying to ride it out? granted i did reduced by .3 mg about a month before this taper... thats really when i noticed it was getting alot harder. prior to that i was going down by .4 mg at a time and.. there were hard days but nothing like this.. i was chugging along fairly well. So yeah my question is... how can i feel just as bad if not worse while i am tapering vs jumping off 4 mg at a time like i did in February, right after an extremely fast taper mind you. i just dont get it.....

and yeah i have that of that fresh, but after today... i just don't know. it feels like this taper isnt any different than just going off completely... im asking why am i even doing this anymore. it just feels like im just poisoning myself taking this stupid bullsh-it >.<

U.Spork,

Hey, I just popped in to check on some of the remeron fighters and I've reviewed a bit of your string.  I won't go into much detail right now, but I recognized that I felt exactly the same way you do now, earlier this year.  The advice of Fresh is sound, please take into consideration, the "tapering holiday".

It seems as if your system and all of its intricate components are trying to "catch up".  This is both normal and logical and I experienced this when I got to 3 mg.  So I held, for a few months, and it was a real game changer for me.  I stabilized and everything corrected itself.  I was able to continue the taper without issue, everything is NORMAL for now.  Although things could get nasty again, I am not suffering at all for the time being and I credit the hold, slow steady taper and extremely clean living for this.  

I had to learn the hard way not to put a timeline on withdrawal, just allowing my brain and body heal at its own pace which is apparently very slowly, whatever, I have my life back and you can't put a price on that.

I respect any decision you make, this is some tough stuff, but you will be fine…I know this, keep your chin up.

BB

<p>Dec 2012 - Some benzo's, some AD's for PTSD induced anxiety and insomnia

August 2013 - things go south with benzo (Klonipin), tolerance withdrawal, REALLY SICK, AD's (effexor/citalopram) added for "reset"!?!?, EVEN SICKER

Dec 2013 - RESEARCH begins…located Ashton manual (first breakthrough), my A-HA moment = benzo + too fast WD of other meds caused this mess...

Jan 2014 - convinced to take Mirtazapine 15-30 mg to help with Klonipin/ temazepam/ Citalopram taper, hit with wd symptoms but powered through

Feb 2014- stopped Klonopinipin (too quick taper but was destroying CNS) -, more wd symptoms but masked by Mirtazapine

March 2014 - silly ct attempt of 30mg Mirt , HORRIBLE hwd, no sleep, lasted 1 month, found this site (second breakthrough), armed with new knowledge, began proper slow taper of Mirtazapine and doing exponentially better, roughly 10% of each dose, and some long holds!

April 2014 - reinstate 7.5 mg Mirt, (30 day hold then slow taper for rest of year, took months to stabilize)

Jan 2015 - 3 mg (slow taper for rest of year)

Jan 2016 - 1.87 mg (slow taper for rest of year)

Jan 2017 - 0.37 mg (slow taper continues)

Aug 27, 2017 - 0 mg (JUMPED from 0.12 mg) - DRUG FREE!

It's nice hearing that someone went through the exact same thing and has gotten through it. Did you have these up and down roller coasters of emotions that didn't really seem tied to anything? like i hear about people going through a more predictable process, like if they hold they're fine but as soon as they taper they get a wave and slowly gets better.. then repeats. Even when i hold ill still go up and down, there have been some tapers where i didn't feel a thing. I think i will try holding for a while like you guys have said, but if i give it a while and still see no improvement i will just jump off the 1.5 mg. I still find it very hard to believe my brain is doing any healing at all with this shi-t in my system >.< i just want it out so bad, its so damn hard to hold. i can say im guilty of putting a timeline on this whole thing... i feel like nothing will change and no healing will take place until im off completely. Despite all that i will still hold for a while, thanks for the reply!

PS another question for you bayboy, when you were on mirtazapine just taking it normally and not trying to taper. did you still have alot of ups and downs? during my entire time on this crap i have had ups and downs that struck for no reason