Gray: Introduction

Gray

I was placed on 5mg Paxil in May 2014. I was at the time withdrawing from Klonipin; a member of the Benzo family.

In June 2014 I came off K and the Paxil was upped to 10mg.

Here I am at 7 months free from K and continuing my slow taper from Paxil (see signature). I went from 6mg to 5mg eight days ago.

Mentally I feel great !  Physically not so good, dizziness has returned, itchy skin, aching muscles, feeling fatigued.

BUT I am trying to hold steady and not rush things.

I became highly allergic to nickel during my first withdrawal and this seems to have been heightend by my withdrawal from Paxil. Has anybody else gone through anything similar?

Continued healing to all who read this. :)

May 2014 5mg Paxil  to help with withdrawal from klonipin.

End of May 2014 increased to 10mg

June 2014 Klonipin free........withdrawal was slow.

October 2014 9mg Paxil

November 2014  8mg Paxil

December feeling good 7mg Paxil

January 2015 6mg not feeling so good

February 2015 5.4 mg Paxil feeling good no wave    March 2015 5 mg    April 2015  Husband ill forgot meds stopped.  May2015 felling pretty good    June 2015  last 2 weeks in June things started to change. Early morning anxiety 

July 2015 Sensitive to everything. Made some Magnesium lemonade...helps !

Anxiety lasts till lunch time then becomes easier ?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Gray,

Welcome to the forum.   Sorry you aren't feeling so good physically.   How long are you waiting between drops?   Do you symptoms settle down between the drops?

Your signature didn't seem to work, please have another go

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Gray, welcome to SA. Please read our tips on tapering paxil http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/405-tips-for-tapering-off-paxil-paroxetine/

We recommend tapering 10% of the current dose every 4 weeks. If you are feeling withdrawal symptoms

then generally it means the cut was too big. Going from 6mg to 5mg is closer to 20% and to continue at this rate you

would likely feel some more severe withdrawal eventually. Paxil is nasty to get off and slowly is the way to win this race.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

The most important is the 3 KIS http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6632-the-rule-of-3kis-keep-it-simple-keep-it-slow-keep-it-stable/

Many people find that magnesium is helpful when tapering and in withdrawal. http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

And omega 3 http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Thank you for your answers.

I realised after reading the information on this site that yes I did step down by too much.

I learned the first time that slow and steady is best; same rules apply this time round as well.

I shall hang out with my 5 mg for a while and continue at 10%.

The article on magnesium was interesting, I'm going to give it a try. The only other med I am taking is a fish oil capsule and 500mg of vit. C.

:)

October 2014 9mg Paxil

November 2014  8mg Paxil

February 2015 5.4 mg Paxil feeling good no wave    March 2015 5 mg    April 2015  Husband ill forgot meds stopped.  May2015 felling pretty good    June 2015  last 2 weeks in June things started to change. Early morning anxiety 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Gray ,       After years of ssri's I developed a toxic level of copper . . .    I wonder if there's a heavy metal connection.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Thanks Fresh,

I'm begininning to think that there is possibly a connection. Proving it is something else.

It will be interesting to see what happens when I'm finally off Paxil.

How are you feeling now?

October 2014 9mg Paxil

November 2014  8mg Paxil

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Gray  , sorry it's taken me a few days.     I'm feeling sooo much better now , no longer in severe w/d.

Am having copper level tested in the next week , so will keep you posted.

What are the symptoms of nickel allergy?   And how are you doing with the other symptoms in the past week?

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Hi Fresh,

The nickel allergy started about the time that I wanted to withdraw from Klonopin and my dr said ok stop !

So I did ! That's whe

My skin especially my hands were intensly itchy. Thought it might be withdrawal, but a patch test confirmed I was allergic to nickel. So I have coated keys etc with nail polish, and I wear cotton gloves most of the time.

The thing is it's just my hands that are itchy most of the time.

Here in the US nickel levels in items, are not as well regulated as in other parts of the world !!!  So for the past two years i've had a lot of steroid creams which do provide relief. Then I stop using it and I'm back to square one.

Trying to be mindful of my diet is starting to help. Not too many grains,lettuce cabbage beans etc.

Paxil wise I'm at 5mg the jump from 6mg was too much but 21/2 weeks out things are starting to feel easier, symptoms not as intense.

Taking 600 mg of Vit. E am and pm 1000mg Vit C to help chelate any nickel out of my system.

At least now my hands don't look dry and ugh ! I apply a mosturizing cream 5-6 times a day.

Waiting to see if anything improves when I finally come off Paxil.  Staying positive. :)

Thanks for the PM

October 2014 9mg Paxil

November 2014  8mg Paxil

If you were dropping at 10% of the CURRENT dose you would be at 6.5 mg for January and your next drop would be to ~5.9 mg (pretty close to 6 mg still). You don't say what your dose of K was, how often you dropped and how big your cuts were. It is entirely possible that your benzo wd was too fast and you might be compounding it with a too fast taper of paxil, nickel allergy notwithstanding.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• Moderator Emeritus

Glad to hear your symptoms are settling down, that's a good sign! Give it a few more weeks though before cutting again. I'm glad to hear you're going to go to the 10% type taper (which at 5 mg, your next cut would be 0.5 or a half mg).

It's pretty common for people to do better at the higher doses and then to get hit as they get to lower doses. That's because the way the drugs work, you get the most effect per milligram at the lowest doses, and at the higher doses the extra milligrams don't produce as much change. It's logarithmic/exponential, if that means anything to you.

Basically, the way to compensate for this is to base cuts on a percentage of your current dose, not your starting dose. 

Sounds like you're planning to do it that way from now on. I think you'll find that will help a lot. You just have to keep making the cuts smaller as the doses get smaller.

Sorry about the nickel allergy, I'm afraid I don't have much to help there. I have chemical sensitivities and they are definitely made worse both by the drugs and by withdrawal. But I'm not sure if that's the same thing or not.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Moderator Emeritus

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6036-why-taper-paper-demonstrates-importance-of-gradual-change-in-plasma-concentration/

The charts there show you how tapering needs to be a curve (reducing your cuts at lower doses) and not a straight line. 

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to hear your symptoms are settling down, that's a good sign! Give it a few more weeks though before cutting again. I'm glad to hear you're going to go to the 10% type taper (which at 5 mg, your next cut would be 0.5 or a half mg).

It's pretty common for people to do better at the higher doses and then to get hit as they get to lower doses. That's because the way the drugs work, you get the most effect per milligram at the lowest doses, and at the higher doses the extra milligrams don't produce as much change. It's logarithmic/exponential, if that means anything to you.

Basically, the way to compensate for this is to base cuts on a percentage of your current dose, not your starting dose. 

Sounds like you're planning to do it that way from now on. I think you'll find that will help a lot. You just have to keep making the cuts smaller as the doses get smaller.

Sorry about the nickel allergy, I'm afraid I don't have much to help there. I have chemical sensitivities and they are definitely made worse both by the drugs and by withdrawal. But I'm not sure if that's the same thing or not.

October 2014 9mg Paxil

November 2014  8mg Paxil

Rhi,

Thank you so much for all the information.

I do believe the nickel allergy is related......some how.

The fact that just my hands are affected is so frustrting.

My motto now is SLOW AND STEADY,

October 2014 9mg Paxil

November 2014  8mg Paxil

• 4 months later...

The last three weeks have been horrible.

I thought I was doing really well, felt good. Then it hit. My husband became seriously ill, which seemed to halt the recovery process.

Now

I wake up every other hour, started taking magnesium at night which helps

Tried a Vitamin B supplement which left me totally jittery. I seem to be soo sensitive to Vitamins.

I go to see my doctor next week and I'm terrified she will want to reinstate medication.

I have a hard time shutting off the "what ifs?"

I need to be here for my husband, but I need to help myself too. Is this a wave?

Paxil was prescribed to help me withdraw from Klonopin.......side effects of Paxil were horrible too.

I am meditating which helps and exercising when I can. Diet is good. ( Type 1 diabetic)

Any advice would be welcome. :unsure:

October 2014 9mg Paxil

November 2014  8mg Paxil

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Gray,

I moved this post from the symptoms forum to your introduction/update thread here because it's related to your own situation specifically. Please use this thread to track progress, write about symptoms, ask questions and communicate with the community, add to it whenever you want.

How have you been tapering since January?  Are you still at 6mg?

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Hi Petunia,

No I'm not tapering. I stopped Paxil in April. Not the slow and steady route I wanted.

I know I'm now probably paying the price.

I've been reading the boards on reinstating. I talk to my doctor tomorrow.

My husband is doing well now,so now I have to figure out how to get me back on track.

Thanks,

Gray

October 2014 9mg Paxil

November 2014  8mg Paxil