educatedguess417: Horrible Nausea! Please Help!

educatedguess417

Hi, I have been on the following med for about a year:

Depakote 1000mg

Effexor XR 300mg

Remoran 45mg

I am working with my doctor to taper off the Depakote, but still have a LOT of nausea.  I'm not vomiting, but getting close to it.

Has anyone also had nausea with either Effexor or Remoran?  I was on Effexor before and tolerated it well with no side effects.

It is getting to the point that the cure is worse than the disease.

Also: Does someone know of a femaie physician in the Southbay / Palos Verdes area of Los Angeles who helps people wean off meds?  I found her in a web search a few days ago, but now can't find her.  She also writes in the media and does TV about these issues.

Thanks!

Stopped Depakote 1000mg on 01/27/15

Current Meds:
Effexor XR 300mg (mornings)

Remoran 45mg (bedtime)

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Educated, I am not surprised you are feeling rough. I put your drugs into the interactions checker 

at drugs.com and will paste the results here for you. You are taking quite a high dose of effexor 

along with remeron which is not a good combination. Effexor made me very ill after being on it for

5 years, many drugs start causing adverse effects when they have previously been tolerated well. 

We suggest tapering the anti depressant first, but you are taking 2. I would taper the effexor first,

based on my experience. The side effects should lessen as the dose gets lower. I am going to post

some links for you. It will help you to read them so that you can understand how to taper successfully. 

I think you are right to try and find a doctor with tapering knowledge to help you, your doctor hasn't got

a clue!  Here is your interactions report  

Interactions between your selected drugs
interaction-3-big.png venlafaxine ↔ mirtazapine

Applies to: Effexor XR (venlafaxine), Remeron (mirtazapine)

Talk to your doctor before using venlafaxine together with mirtazapine. Combining these medications can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweatingicon1.png, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should contact your doctor immediately if you experienceicon1.png these symptoms while taking the medications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Switch to professional interaction data

interaction-2-big.png venlafaxine ↔ divalproex sodium

Applies to: Effexor XR (venlafaxine), Depakote (divalproex sodium)

Using venlafaxine together with divalproex sodium may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentratingicon1.png. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

interaction-2-big.png divalproex sodium ↔ mirtazapine

Applies to: Depakote (divalproex sodium), Remeron (mirtazapine)

Using divalproex sodium together with mirtazapine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

No other interactions were found between your selected drugs.
Note: this does not necessarily mean no interactions exist. ALWAYSicon1.png consult with your doctor or pharmacist.

Other drugs that your selected drugs interact with Interactions between your selected drugs and food

No results found - however, this does not necessarily mean no interactions exist. ALWAYS consult with your doctor or pharmacist.

Tapering multiple meds   http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2207-taking-multiple-psych-drugs-taper-the-antidepressant-first/

Tapering effexor http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/272-tapering-off-effexor-venlafaxine/

Tapering remeron http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5301-tips-for-tapering-off-remeron-mirtazapine/

I can't find a topic on depakote but while I was looking I found that lamotrigine is the same type of drug and causes

nausea when tapering. Here is that topic but be aware that it is a different drug but is an anti epileptic also. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1122-tips-for-tapering-off-lamictal-lamotrigine/

It will help us if you can put your drug history in your signature, you can find instructions how to do that here 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Moderator Emeritus

We have a section with a list of doctors who deal with withdrawal and tapering. 

Hopefully the one you need will be among them. Read right though because there have been  many added

since the topic was started. http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/988-recommended-doctors-therapists-or-clinics/

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Mentor

Hello, I find whenever I adjust my medications, I get very nauseaous, sometimes the toilet is the first thing I look at in the morning.  And I agree effexor is a horrible drug.  What is your signature?  Your list of drugs you have been on previously?

Good  luck!

Angela

1992 Dothiepin 375mg 8 weeks, exhaustion/depression.  Serotonin syndrome, oh yes!  seizures . Fell pregnant, 3rd baby, Nitrous Oxide, 3 weeks mental hospital pp psychosis. zoloft tegretol.

Feb 1996 ct tegretol, tapered Zoloft 8 weeks. as (unexpectedly)  pregnant. Steven died after 3 days.(Zolft HLHS baby).  98 had run in with Paxil, 2 tablets, 3 weeks taper, survived.
2005..menopause? exhausted again. Zyprexa, mad in three days, fallout....  Seroquel, Effexor, tegretol,   and 8 years of self destruction. Failed taper.
Damn 1/4 valium... nuts again! .fallout, zoloft 100mg  seroquol 400mg mirtazapine 45 mg  tegretol 400mg.  Mid 14 3 month taper. Nov 14 CRASH.
Mid 15 ....   75mg  seroquel,  3 x 1800mg SJW  2 week window end of December followed by 6 week wave
5/2 68mg seroquel, 2.5 x 1800mg SJW::::20/2 61mg seroquel, 2.5 x  SJW::: 26/2 54mg seroquel, 2 x SJW::::21/3 43mg seroquel, 1 x 2700SJW :::: 23/4 36mg seroquel 1 x 1800 SJW
15/5 33mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::   28/5 30mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::;  18/6 25mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::::, 11/7 21mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::, 26/7 18mg seroquel 1/2 SJW:::, 9/8 12mg seroquel :::, 16/8 6mg seroquel ;;;;, 12/9 0 jump.

23/9  3mg.....,  27/9 0mg.  Reinstated, 6mg, then 12mg.............  LIGHTBULB MOMENT,  I have  MTHFR 2x mutations.  CFS and issues with MOULD in my home. So I left home, and working 150km away during week, loving it.

Oh was hard, panic attacks first week, gone now, along with the mould issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Everyone, and thank you so very much for your responses.

Fresh, hi.  When I click on "Follow" I keep getting this response: "Sorry, we could not find any content you are following."  Could you, or anyone here, tell me why I keep getting this error message and what settings I need to change to follow this thread.  I'm fairly familiar with different kinds of forums and have never had this problem before.

Thanks Very Much.

Current Meds:

Remoran 45mg (bedtime)

Hello, I find whenever I adjust my medications, I get very nauseaous, sometimes the toilet is the first thing I look at in the morning.  And I agree effexor is a horrible drug.  What is your signature?  Your list of drugs you have been on previously?

Good  luck!

Angela

Angela, thank you, sorry for my slow response.  I'm having trouble setting up my "Follow Content" setting.

Current Meds:

Remoran 45mg (bedtime)

• Moderator Emeritus

This may be answer . . .  the Follow icon is at the top of this thread - you can only Follow or Unfollow.   It's not Content I Follow in your own name.   You can follow any thread , and that will then show it your Content I follow.   Are you following , lol?

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Hi Educated, I am not surprised you are feeling rough. I put your drugs into the interactions checker 

at drugs.com and will paste the results here for you. You are taking quite a high dose of effexor 

along with remeron which is not a good combination. Effexor made me very ill after being on it for

5 years, many drugs start causing adverse effects when they have previously been tolerated well. 

We suggest tapering the anti depressant first, but you are taking 2. I would taper the effexor first,

based on my experience. The side effects should lessen as the dose gets lower. I am going to post

some links for you. It will help you to read them so that you can understand how to taper successfully. 

I think you are right to try and find a doctor with tapering knowledge to help you, your doctor hasn't got

a clue!  Here is your interactions report  

Interactions between your selected drugs
interaction-3-big.png venlafaxine ↔ mirtazapine

Applies to: Effexor XR (venlafaxine), Remeron (mirtazapine)

Talk to your doctor before using venlafaxine together with mirtazapine. Combining these medications can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweatingicon1.png, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should contact your doctor immediately if you experienceicon1.png these symptoms while taking the medications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

interaction-2-big.png venlafaxine ↔ divalproex sodium

Applies to: Effexor XR (venlafaxine), Depakote (divalproex sodium)

Using venlafaxine together with divalproex sodium may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentratingicon1.png. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

interaction-2-big.png divalproex sodium ↔ mirtazapine

Applies to: Depakote (divalproex sodium), Remeron (mirtazapine)

Using divalproex sodium together with mirtazapine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

No other interactions were found between your selected drugs.

Note: this does not necessarily mean no interactions exist. ALWAYSicon1.png consult with your doctor or pharmacist.

Other drugs that your selected drugs interact withInteractions between your selected drugs and food

No results found - however, this does not necessarily mean no interactions exist. ALWAYS consult with your doctor or pharmacist.

Tapering multiple meds   http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2207-taking-multiple-psych-drugs-taper-the-antidepressant-first/

Tapering effexor http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/272-tapering-off-effexor-venlafaxine/

Tapering remeron http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5301-tips-for-tapering-off-remeron-mirtazapine/

I can't find a topic on depakote but while I was looking I found that lamotrigine is the same type of drug and causes

nausea when tapering. Here is that topic but be aware that it is a different drug but is an anti epileptic also. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1122-tips-for-tapering-off-lamictal-lamotrigine/

It will help us if you can put your drug history in your signature, you can find instructions how to do that here 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Mamma, thank you SOOOOO much for all the information.  I'm having trouble setting the feature to follow my thread (it still won't do it), so I had no idea you or anyone else had responded.  Forgive my tardy response.

Update: My doctor took me off Depakote completely exactly a week ago, 01/27/15.  I'm still having nausea, although a little less frequent.  I discovered that different treatments with ginger root in it are helping a LOT.  The other day I had nausea all day, then my wife made me some tea from fresh ginger.  I drank one cup (about 10-12 ounces), and within 15 minutes the nausea was gone for good and remained so the rest of the day.

Then yesterday I had nausea again after breakfast.  After about three hours of saying "I've had enough!" I went to the the local health food store and bought the best ginger supplement I could find.  I had lunch then took the capsule and VOILA! within 10 minutes the nausea disappeared and never came back the rest of the day.  So the ginger has been amazing.

I assume, Mamma, that you would suggest lowering the Effexor first, as opposed to the Remoran, correct?  My doctor is actually quite open-minded about this and willing to work with me to lower the dosages, but one at a time.  I haven't had any noticeable side effects from the Effexor except a slight hand tremor and maybe the nausea.  I have to be careful with changing meds because the Effexor may have saved my life last year through a very deep trough of depression, but I am doing very very well these days.

Please help me figure out how to "Follow" this thread.  I don't know why I can't set it, cuz it keeps giving me an error message.

Thanks Again!

Current Meds:

Remoran 45mg (bedtime)

Depakote is an anti-seizure medication. So is gabapentin, the drug that I've stopped taking. My nausea was so awful last year that I was misdiagnosed and had my gallbladder removed. Guess what? No gallstones. I was probably in tolerance "poop out." After gallbladder was removed, I still had nausea. Fortunately, it's one of my WD symptoms that has abated. It was horrifying. I'm not sure if depakote is your culprit, but I'm suspicious. I took Zofran/Ondansetron which took away the nausea. Haven't had to take it for a month or so. Nausea is the PITS! I feel for you.

January 2012 - Prescribed 900mg gabapentin and 30mg Norco for lower lumber spinal stenosis pain.

September 2013 - Spinal fusion surgery, 6 levels. Hospital ramped up meds 1500mg gabapentin, 100mg Norco, 80mg Oxycontin, 25mg Fentanyl patch.

January 2014 - Sever nausea daily and with back pain every 4 hours. 2 trips to ER. First endoscopy found ulcer. Treated with Sucralfate and PPI. Second endo in May found no ulcers. Doctors said it was the opiates causing the nausea. CT'd Oxycontin, Fentanyl patch.

July 2014 - Lost 48 lbs. due to not eating because of severe nausea. GP prescribed Prozac 20mg and Ativan 2mg prn. Tried for 4 days, quit. Two week followup GP said keep taking Prozac. 4 days, quit again. Ativan taken rarely prn for anxiety and appetite.

August 2014 - Went to detox. Off opiates. Still nauseous, helmet head, drugged feeling. Doctor CT'd gabapentin. Ended up in ER. Found 2 gallstones. Gabapentin reinstated at 900mg. Tried botched up and down taper to get off Gabapentin. No tapering advice from doctor. Said to just CT again.

September 2014 - Coded on table during gallbladder surgery. Developed liver biloma due to CPR by doctor. Had bile bulb inserted for 2 wks to drain.

October 2014 - Gallbladder removed. Still nauseous, 3am cortisol surging, drugged helmet head, vertigo, breathlessness, whooshing head, heart palps.

November 8th, 2014 - CT'd gabapentin suggested by family and 4 different doctors. Was told no withdrawal is associated with gabapentin. Have been in hell ever since. No windows, just one big tsunami every day with same symptoms for 4 months.

December 26, 2014 - Found SA. At least I know I'm not insane. My family thinks I'm doing this to myself. Akathesia has become unbearable.

March 10, 2015 - In absolute daily hell with no relief. Currently taking magnesium 200mg before bedtime.

• Administrator

Welcome, eg.

Why were you prescribed the Remeron? If it's for sleep, we suggest you taper the Effexor first. Sleep is important. Read

Taking multiple psych drugs? Taper the antidepressant first!

Tips for tapering off Effexor and Effexor XR (venlafaxine)

Tips for tapering off Remeron (mirtazapine)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.