SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Dizziness, vertigo, light-headedness, rocking or swaying sensations

squirrel

Hello Everyone. I was on 20mg nortriptyline for 6 weeks. I tapered off the drug over a 1 week period due to it's side effects (increased heart rate, muscle spasms and hair loss). It's been 2 weeks since I stopped taking the nortriptyline and I am still having a very rough time dealing with withdrawal symptoms. I constantly have this rocking, swaying motion that I feel in my head and body as though I'm on boat that's bobbing up and down, left and right, forward and backwards. Although this seems similar to vertigo, things around me in the environment are not spinning. I just feel like my mind and head is always rocking ever so slightly with the beating of my heart and with every breath I take. I should note that I had and am still dealing with constant rapid heartbeats throughout the day with heavy and shallow breathing since I stopped taking the drug. This constant rocking motion in my head makes me feel dizzy and nauseated. Has anyone here experienced movement problems during withdrawal? If so, does it go away and how long does it take for it to go away? It's very bothersome. It greatly hinders my concentration and focus. I'd like to hear from anyone who's had this experience. Thanks.

February 10-March 30: 20mg nortriptyline

March 31 onward: nortriptyline withdrawal so bad I ended up in emerge 3 times for increased heart rate and muscle spasms. Currently having problems with my balance due to constant feeling of head and body rocking and swaying. Having increased heart rate and difficulty breathing. Always fatigued and have frequent urination. Also having excruciating head, neck, shoulder and back pain  :(

• 3 weeks later...

This is my worst physical symptom. Its so bad now I can barely walk or sit up. Has anyone else had this and it got better for them?

40 year old male - First panic attack in May 2012

May 2012 Atenolol (beta blocker)25mg, Ativan 2mg
August 2012 Rapid taper ativan, started zoloft 25mg
Dec 2012... rapid taper zoloft,
January 2013 Xanax 1mg for 1 month
February 2013 Klonopin 1mg
April 2013 to May 2013 Rapid Taper Klonopin to 0.5mg
June 10th 2013 jumped from 0.5 Kpin and Atenolol 25mg
July 2013 two days of Ativan 1mg b/c of hospital visit
September 2013 started Effexor 75mg (this was a mistake i think)
July 2014 to October 2014 tapered off Effexor...

July 2015 - Reinstated zoloft 50mg

the 4-7-8 breathing helps me loads with light headedness http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART00521/three-breathing-exercises.html

1999: amitriptyline
2002: fluoxetine
2003: venlafaxine
2007: Paxil 20mg
2012: Paxil 30mg
2014 june: Paxil stopped working and was put on citalopram 20mg
2014 august: docs put me on Paxil 20mg still feeling bad and had to stop antihistamines for hives
2015 January: doctors put me on sertriline 50mg
2015 February March: doctors wanted me to go back on Paxil 20mg
2015 April 1st: I wanted off and dropped to 10mg
9/5/15  Feeling worse for ware!  struggling but i WILL get through this

• 2 weeks later...

Just reading through this thread gives me a lift this is the one symptom that is the worst for me its just there all the time when i have a window its gone but just comes back again . Still have low white noise feeling in head Also .

Long time anxiety sufferer

Took faverine 50mg 2009 for 7 months 

Worked great  came off no problems.

End of 2012  start suffering bad anxiety  some depersonalization due to work stress and anxious thinking .

Took 50mg faverine within couple days anxiety through the roof  fear spasms in stomach and dp . 

Doctor put me on 60mg cymbalta felt very unwell  came off after 3 weeks  nervous system went haywire fell into a horrible state . Not well for years .

Start taking 1mg xanax 2016 for 2 years weaned onto valium .

Faverine 100mg  January 2020 

Weaned down to 12.5 over a year . 

• Administrator

Merged related threads. Also see What to do for dizziness, queasiness, nausea

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 2 weeks later...

Did this get better for anyone?

40 year old male - First panic attack in May 2012

May 2012 Atenolol (beta blocker)25mg, Ativan 2mg
August 2012 Rapid taper ativan, started zoloft 25mg
Dec 2012... rapid taper zoloft,
January 2013 Xanax 1mg for 1 month
February 2013 Klonopin 1mg
April 2013 to May 2013 Rapid Taper Klonopin to 0.5mg
June 10th 2013 jumped from 0.5 Kpin and Atenolol 25mg
July 2013 two days of Ativan 1mg b/c of hospital visit
September 2013 started Effexor 75mg (this was a mistake i think)
July 2014 to October 2014 tapered off Effexor...

July 2015 - Reinstated zoloft 50mg

Hi Shelby. I'm going on 9 weeks of feeling like I'm on a boat that's bobbing and rocking 24/7. So no, my balance has not improved and seems to intensify with anxiety.

February 10-March 30: 20mg nortriptyline

March 31 onward: nortriptyline withdrawal so bad I ended up in emerge 3 times for increased heart rate and muscle spasms. Currently having problems with my balance due to constant feeling of head and body rocking and swaying. Having increased heart rate and difficulty breathing. Always fatigued and have frequent urination. Also having excruciating head, neck, shoulder and back pain  :(

• 2 months later...

I've been having the lightheadedness and feeling faint. Is this a wd symptom too?

Started Effexor August 2012 Sept'12-150mg=extreme anxiety Oct'12 cut half-75mg severe wds

Feb 2013 68.5mg. Mar'13- 65mg. Apr'13-59mg. May'13-57mg. June '13-52mg Aug'13 49.75mg.

Sep'13-48.75. Nov'13-47mg Dec'13-45..5mg

May 2014 42mg. Jun'14 40mg (depressive mood started). Aug'14 -40mg/ started brintellix 2.5mg

Oct '14 -39 Nov'14 36.89 Dec'14 34.45

Jan 2015- 31 Feb'15 29mg. Mar'15 26.72. Apr'15 24.48. May'15 22.31mg. Jun'15 20.30mg

Aug'15-18.89. Oct'15 16.96. Nov/16- 16.10. Dec/15- 15mg

Jan 2016-14.22. May'16 11.45. Aug'16-9.60. Sep/16- 8.88mg. Oct/16- 8.39mg. Nov/16- 8.13. Dec/16- 7.89

i have something as this, for me it is a mix of my original anxiety and anxiety system deteriorate by brain meds, it is called conversion disorder, i think for me 80% from paxil and a little from normal daily stress we can no more manage after years on drugs(drugs deteriorate the ability for normal stress living, being drugged, we have no more a inch of stress, but we need to survive a daily stress fighting, so when we stop, we are unable to live normal sensations, stress, all is to re-learn in a brain in chaos)

from wikipedia:

Motor symptoms or deficits:

• Impaired coordination or balance
  • Weakness/paralysis of a limb or the entire body (hysterical paralysis or motor conversion disorders)
  • Impairment or loss of speech (hysterical aphonia)
  • Difficulty swallowing or a sensation of a lump in the throat
  • Urinary retention
  • Psychogenic non-epileptic seizures or convulsions
  • Persistent dystonia
  • Tremor, myoclonus or other movement disorders
  • Gait problems (astasia-abasia)
  • Loss of consciousness (fainting)

Sensory symptoms or deficits:

• Impaired vision (hysterical blindness), double vision
  • Impaired hearing (deafness)
  • Loss or disturbance of touch or pain sensation

for anxiety 

12 years paxil - cold turkey 1,5 month - switch celexa 1 year taper; total 13 years on brain meds 

67 years old - 9 years  med free

in protracted withdrawal

rigidity standing and walking, dryness gougerot-szoegren, sleep deteriorate,

function as have a lack of nerves, improving have been very little 

I took blood tests for faint and lightheadedness.

Will anything show up in tests?

Started Effexor August 2012 Sept'12-150mg=extreme anxiety Oct'12 cut half-75mg severe wds

Feb 2013 68.5mg. Mar'13- 65mg. Apr'13-59mg. May'13-57mg. June '13-52mg Aug'13 49.75mg.

Sep'13-48.75. Nov'13-47mg Dec'13-45..5mg

May 2014 42mg. Jun'14 40mg (depressive mood started). Aug'14 -40mg/ started brintellix 2.5mg

Oct '14 -39 Nov'14 36.89 Dec'14 34.45

Jan 2015- 31 Feb'15 29mg. Mar'15 26.72. Apr'15 24.48. May'15 22.31mg. Jun'15 20.30mg

Aug'15-18.89. Oct'15 16.96. Nov/16- 16.10. Dec/15- 15mg

Jan 2016-14.22. May'16 11.45. Aug'16-9.60. Sep/16- 8.88mg. Oct/16- 8.39mg. Nov/16- 8.13. Dec/16- 7.89

Ya guys that's the reason I went off ciprelex. I had these tremors, light-headed ness, slow heart rate and a few times fainted and temporary lost my license. I had all the blood tests and saw two neurologists. Its a product of the medication in my opinion. But they told me it was anxiety. Of course to them i went on ssris for PTSD and panic attacks so its the same thing. Only difference is when i used to get panic attacks before medication my body would be in fight or flight and my heart rate went sky high and i was sweating and my adrenaline was through the roof and all that never caused me to faint. These incidents were completely different. Anyway cant be a med that caused the problem they only help people :)

Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th . PPI Dexlant  30 mg taper has begun. Cutting 20% currently.  using zantac as needed.  Benzo is currently 0.10mg 

• 1 month later...

I am 5 months off and the symptom that seems to be unrelenting is the almost constant dizziness

I am going to start tapering off lorazepam because I feel that it is making everything 100% worse

just wanted to hear from other dizzy people and what did they do to cope

2006-2012 50mgs zoloft
skipped doses every other day for a year and started having anxiety again in March 2012
back on at 50mgs Dec 2013
started taper from benzos April 2014 per Heather Ashton method (c/o from kpin to diazepam)
March 2015 started 1.25mg lorazepam
Tapered off Zoloft in May off in 4 weeks...5 weeks later crashing AGAIN. Dr wanted to start Gabapentin tried it 7 days
Symptoms :burning eyes, anxiety, pounding heart, dizzy, strange head feeling, internal shaking, Overall UNWELL
Taking lorazepam 1.25mg daily

I have had balance issues whilst withdrawing from escitalopram. I could say dizziness too but for me it has been more a movement sensation almost like someone is swinging me from a rope or I am sitting in a little boat bobbing up and down on the sea.

I sometimes have problems driving too particularly if it is a long journey or I am tired. It is like motion sickness like I sometimes can't work out if it's me in the car moving or the road (I obviously know its the car) like an optical illusion. Lots of people have "dizziness" although it is a term used for different things by different people, some feel spinning and some lightheadedness. Try not to worry about it as the anxiety may make it worse. It can be alarming I know but it will pass with time. 

Tiredness makes it worse so get plenty of rest and sometimes rapid movement of the head. 

1995-1998 various SSRIs then withdrawal

2000 Sertraline

2003 Sertraline then changed to Prozac to attempt withdrawal.

2004 failed at withdrawal so Citalopram.

2010 attempted slow withdrawal over 12 months but failed- sever episode depression 2012

2012 3 days of Mirtazepine with bad reaction so started escitalopram 20mgs

2013 started very very slow taper with a number of slight reinstatements

Currently on between 0.5 and 1mg escitalopram drops at day.

I have been off Celexa for 2 months now after a 2.5 month tapering period.   Of course my initial withdrawal symptoms were the awful dizziness, brain zaps, insomnia, anxiety and panic, inappetance etc etc which lasted for 2 weeks or so.  Since then I have had dizziness off and on almost every day, in addition to anxiety, shortness of breath, tremors and just general feelings of "unwellness."  And lastly I'm feeling joyless and like I am living a shell of a life.

I don't have any particular advice for you, but I just wanted to say that I know what you're going through and I empathize!  Out of all my symptoms, the dizziness is the least bearable.  

I made a mistake its 5 months on Oct 2nd

each month off I seem to get sicker...and the off balanced feeling is HORRENDOUS

2006-2012 50mgs zoloft
skipped doses every other day for a year and started having anxiety again in March 2012
started taper from benzos April 2014 per Heather Ashton method (c/o from kpin to diazepam)
Tapered off Zoloft in May off in 4 weeks...5 weeks later crashing AGAIN. Dr wanted to start Gabapentin tried it 7 days
Symptoms :burning eyes, anxiety, pounding heart, dizzy, strange head feeling, internal shaking, Overall UNWELL

• Moderator Emeritus

Mine was like what pocket nurse describes - a kind of motion sickness feeling. When it got bad I took some motion sickness tablets and ginger if I was nauseous. It helped. Does it make you nauseous? Is yours like uneven movement or a real,spinning aroud?

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

• Moderator Emeritus

Here is our dizziness topic: Dizziness, vertigo, lightheaded, etc. - Symptoms and self ...

There is a lot of discussion, information and suggestions about this symptom already collected in this thread. Please search for existing topics and add to them rather than start new ones. This keeps all the collected wisdom and experiences together in one place and easily accessible through searches.

The search function on this site doesn't work very well.  The best way to search this site for specific information  is to use Google. Type in survivingantidepressants.org then the symptom or information you wish to search for.

If after searching, you can't find what you're looking for, please start a new topic.

Also see What to do for dizziness, queasiness, nausea

Edited by Petunia
added another link

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Anyone having any improvement with the dizziness? Mine seems mild compared to many, I still feel comfortable driving/working (supermarkets are a little challenging though), but if it would just go away things would probably be a lot easier to deal with. It's just so distracting.

9/15/15 - Lexapro 10mg, taken for 2 days. Bad side effects, decided Lexapro wasn't for me. Constant yawning, brain zaps, lethargy/insomnia, constant fog/lightheadedness, DP/DR, fear and anxiety worse than before. Intolerable.

Current symptoms: "Disconnected", mild but constant dizzy/lightheadedness, head pressure, brain fog, intermittent sharp brain pains, low grade headache all the time, anxiety. Vision weirdness... might just be heightened awareness of a preexisting need for Rx glasses. Hypochondria.

In awe at all the strong people I read about here.

First may I ask Short straw, you took Lexapro for 2 days and you think you are in w/d????? I am so confused

anyway I must say the WOOZY/ OFF BALANCED/ DIZZY is my worst symptom now. I keep miscalculating how long I have been off this  #$%&  but it will be 5 months Oct 9th  and  this has gotten worse with each passing day it seems.

I am finding it hard to do just about anything....

I also made a huge decision to taper a very little off my lorazepam and will hold that for awhile in hopes that the dizziness will get somewhat better

Whats worrying me is I am becoming afraid to drive or pretty much do anything because of my head feeling all squished and whacked

just wanted to read that I am not alone

2006-2012 50mgs zoloft

I am really fried I have not been off the Zoloft for 5 months until Oct.9th!!!!  what the heck?

I also tapered .15mg off the lorazepam three days ago...I won't taper anymore until hopefully this dizziness subsides some.

waiting on neurologist to make a appt. but at this rate it will be next summer before I get in/ to see him

head just feels so squishy and whacked....My gosh maybe I should have stayed on the poison

2006-2012 50mgs zoloft

dalsaan, mine is not vertigo (spinning) mine is woozy/off balanced feels like I am on a tilt a whirl...no nausea thank God

but by far the worst symptom I have right now

afraid I will stumble and fall its so bad

2006-2012 50mgs zoloft

• 2 weeks later...

So taking antihistamines and anti-viral drugs are bad? I've been taking Zyrtec for years now and I take a anti-viral when needed.

Been on Paxil since 96”-97”, 40mg tried 3 times to get off and didn’t work, started a very slow taper Jan 2016, have only dropped down by 3 mg.. on 37mg currently.. have very delayed withdrawals. Last drop was in July 2017.. still have waves and windows. 

Magnesium 200mg, foilc acid 1 mg, vitamin d3 5000iu, Blood pressure meds-Verapamil & Irbesartan... Smoke cbd flower once in awhile. 

Dizziness is my number one withdrawal symptom. When I went off last year (pretty much cold turkey by advice of a psychiatrist), the dizziness was sudden and never abated, even when waking up in the morning. :( this went on for over 3 months, couldn't drive to work, etc. I was convinced I had a brain tumor because it also came with bad headaches at night. Neurologist thought it was my anxiety coming back (uhh, I had never been dizzy or had headaches before?) Went back on effexor and felt fine after a couple weeks. As I taper, I get those dizziness symptoms (but not half as bad) for a couple days. I tell myself that I can handle it and I'm not actually going to fall over or anything. Helps to know that nothing is wrong and it is just your body healing.

History: Began suffering from panic attacks when my father passed away in 2005. Been on and off SSRIs (Celexa, Lexapro, Effexor XR), and therapy since then.

2009 - Started Effexor XR 75mg. Consistent therapy starting Oct 2013

Feb 2014 - Therapist and I felt I was ready to come off Effexor - went to half dose (37.5mg) for a week and then off completely by advice of psychiatrist - bad w/d for a week then gone

May 2014 - bad protracted w/d came out of nowhere.. constant dizziness, agoraphobia(never had before), intense headaches, fatigue for 3 months, all tests (brain MRI, inner ear tests, blood tests, etc.) normal. could not drive, grocery shop, or live life.

Aug 2014 - back on Effexor XR 75mg as neurologist thought these symptoms were my anxiety coming back, all w/d symptoms disappear within 2 weeks. I should have went back on at a lower dose, but I hadn't discovered this site yet. I finally did discover this site, and gave myself a year to stabilize.

July 2015 - Started tapering from 75mg. 5% cuts every 3 weeks. From July 2015 - March 2016, reduced to 37.5mg (half dose). In March 2017, down to 18.3mg (quarter dose). April 2020 - down to 0.38mg.

Now: Finally med free as of Oct 31, 2020 after 5.5 years of tapering. Still med and withdrawal free, January 2023. ☀️

Supplements during tapering and now: Meditation, daily exercise, fish oil, clean diet, working from home (more sleep!)

I just had an MRI this morning because the dizzy /woozy feeling is UNRELENTING. I need to know for sure its not a brain tumor

5months off this "CRACK"   and I am still so unbalanced

why oh why did I ever take this drug for so many years?

when will I be well again...well enough to start tapering the lorazepam

2006-2012 50mgs zoloft

I am worried I am going to be dizzy and swaying for the next two years or more as I go through my taper. If I waited for the dizziness to subside before dropping I am not sure I would get anywhere. It is by far the most irritating symptom I have had with this round of tapering. I have not found anything that works for getting rid of it. We are going on a cruise next month, maybe being on a boat will give me some relief since that is what I feel like on land, 

40 years old and have been on 20 mg of Paxil for the last 19 years. Multiple unsuccessful attempts to quit over the years.01/2015 Was tapering using liquid Paxil. MD has prescribed 1 ml = 2mg taper every two weeks or once withdrawal symptoms at that dose subside. Reduced from 20 to 10 mg using this method and at 10 mg severe withdrawal set in. 1.5 months of pure hell. Found SA, learned what was happening, and reinstated to 20 mg. After a month of severe symptoms recovered with the reinstatement. Fish oil - Multi Vitamin - Pro-biotic, amino-acid/B Vitamin supplement every day. Magnesium as needed.08/09/15 - 18 mg - 09/08/15 - 16.4 mg - 10/10/15 - 15 mg - 01/02/16 - 13.6 mg 02/15/16 - 12.0 mg - Bad symptom flare up 40 days into drop - Dizziness, panic/anxiety, overheating (esp at night), low appetite, headache, insomnia with bizarre dreams, internal shaking. 04/16/16 - 11mg - 7/17/16 - 10 mg holding.....

MRI was clear...I have  had BPPV since my 30's and prior to that bouts of dizziness...so this is not new for me. What is new is that its daily and its never ending now

I may have Migraine associated vertigo...seeing neurologist in Nov.

I will say though whatever is happening it all became a nightmare once off the Zoloft

been crashing ever since.

that stuff has really left a dent in my fender (brain)

2006-2012 50mgs zoloft

MRI was clear...I have  had BPPV since my 30's and prior to that bouts of dizziness...so this is not new for me. What is new is that its daily and its never ending now

I may have Migraine associated vertigo...seeing neurologist in Nov.

I will say though whatever is happening it all became a nightmare once off the Zoloft

been crashing ever since.

that stuff has really left a dent in my fender (brain)

lainey, so glad it came back clear (like I suspected). the neurologist also at first thought that I had migraine associated vertigo even though I'd never had a migraine before - and can a migraine really last 3 months, and be 24/7? I took the migraine medicine he prescribed once to see if it did anything, and it did nothing. When I told him that I got off Effexor a few months earlier, he immediately blamed it on my anxiety 'coming back'. Nope, it was protracted withdrawal syndrome. I'm not sure if it's too late for you to reinstate something in order to feel normal again. 

Since you do have BPPV, have you tried taking meclizine? You can get it OTC as Dramamine. This did nothing for me in withdrawal, but if it's your BPPV it should help.

History: Began suffering from panic attacks when my father passed away in 2005. Been on and off SSRIs (Celexa, Lexapro, Effexor XR), and therapy since then.

2009 - Started Effexor XR 75mg. Consistent therapy starting Oct 2013

Feb 2014 - Therapist and I felt I was ready to come off Effexor - went to half dose (37.5mg) for a week and then off completely by advice of psychiatrist - bad w/d for a week then gone

May 2014 - bad protracted w/d came out of nowhere.. constant dizziness, agoraphobia(never had before), intense headaches, fatigue for 3 months, all tests (brain MRI, inner ear tests, blood tests, etc.) normal. could not drive, grocery shop, or live life.

Aug 2014 - back on Effexor XR 75mg as neurologist thought these symptoms were my anxiety coming back, all w/d symptoms disappear within 2 weeks. I should have went back on at a lower dose, but I hadn't discovered this site yet. I finally did discover this site, and gave myself a year to stabilize.

July 2015 - Started tapering from 75mg. 5% cuts every 3 weeks. From July 2015 - March 2016, reduced to 37.5mg (half dose). In March 2017, down to 18.3mg (quarter dose). April 2020 - down to 0.38mg.

Now: Finally med free as of Oct 31, 2020 after 5.5 years of tapering. Still med and withdrawal free, January 2023. ☀️

Supplements during tapering and now: Meditation, daily exercise, fish oil, clean diet, working from home (more sleep!)

• 2 months later...
  • Mentor

I don't know what the heck happened but I was suddenly hit with a terrible episode of some kind of dizziness or vertigo and bad nausea

I was afraid I was having a stroke. (Ok my aunt just had one so it's kind of on my mind, plus I have a high risk of stroke as I have afib and a history of PE and hypertension)

I called the nurse hotline cuz if I go to the ER and it's not a "real" emergency my insurance can refuse to pay

they said that what I was describing was not "emergent"

geez ppl couldn't ya just say it doesn't sound like an emergency? my mind gets so muddled I kept repeating that word, and asking her what she meant, and she just kept saying, it's not emergent

well, thank you very much, miss smarty pants, I'm glad YOU know what that means, but repeating the same word over and over did not explain much to me with my scared and addled brain

smh.

I can actually recreate the dizziness by putting my head down, bending it as if I'm going to put my chin on my chest (I dont need to go that far to recreate the sensation)

the nausea seems both related and un related, I dont 'get nausea from bending my neck

I am trying to sort out, is this a WD symptom or something to do wiht the cervical spinal stenosis?

i have had dizzy spells since last Spring that the dr has not been able to diagnose with more than something tentative (she thinks it's vagal, from a sudden drop in blood pressure)

but she never did the testing she said I should have (a 24hr blood pressure monitoring)

wow, what a crappy night.

I still feel really awful but in ways I can't even describe

I'm glad I do not  appear to be having a stroke but wow, this sucks

I had such a great day, to have a night like this is discouraging

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

when you are tapering psychotropics, at the end, the lack of the substance between nerves makes nerves inflamations, everywhere, brain, gut, legs, chest  etc in random, it is not only in one place, we feel fainting, or stroke, or adrenal , all this is complex, and if you wait, it goes away and unfortunately comes back, worse, different or milder...first years i called 3 times emergency, thinking dying and do not go, finally i was always alive, bad but alive, all this is classic disorder in nerves path, false amount hormones because the lexapro is no more here, it is classic chaos with strange symptomes with no logic, 

with time it will be better

for anxiety 

12 years paxil - cold turkey 1,5 month - switch celexa 1 year taper; total 13 years on brain meds 

67 years old - 9 years  med free

in protracted withdrawal

rigidity standing and walking, dryness gougerot-szoegren, sleep deteriorate,

function as have a lack of nerves, improving have been very little 

• Mentor

thank you Stan for your response. It just hit me like BAM and I was so scared, it felt so bad I thought I was having a stroke or maybe had a brain tumor.

I was afraid waiting it out might mean I'd "wake up dead" as they expression goes, but I'm glad I stayed home and eventually, about 3hrs later, things started to get better and I was able to sleep

wow, this stuff really sucks. but it's nice not to be alone with it anymore

thank you

•  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106

It's exactly how a hard bang of WD feels. Glad you're getting better!

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

• Mentor

thanks

today has been stressful, very confused, memory even worse

i am just tking it easy and trying to take care of myself

went for  a little walk, it's unseasonably warm here

think i will have tea and a nap as i cna't seem to focus on anything at all

so glad i found this place and that i am not going crazy and (probably lol) not dying, but omg sometimes it feels like i must be

:/

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't talked about being dizzy all that much. Its been off and on for 16 months. Floaty boat is how I feel when it's strong. Its a clear signal to me that my body is still in WD.

Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th . PPI Dexlant  30 mg taper has begun. Cutting 20% currently.  using zantac as needed.  Benzo is currently 0.10mg 

• 3 months later...

Dizziness / Light headedness is my latest WD symptom, just starting at 7 months out.  It might have to do with the increased anxiety I'm feeling suddenly too, so it's very possible the dizzy feeling and the anxiety are connected.  I haven't had a flat-out panic / anxiety attack, with the classic symptoms (heart pounding, shallow breathing) but the light headed /dizziness that comes out of nowhere, then I start feeling a bit panicky, because I think I'm going to fall or pass out.  I think I'm in a wave right now and hope it goes away soon as I find this symptom the most debilitating of any of my others.

Been on Paxil 14 years. 40mg for the bulk of those.

20mg in 2014

10mg March of 2015 - then tapered to 5mg

Then to 2.5 to 1.5 - to 1mg, from Mar-August.

As of August 23 2015, I am flying without a net.  Paxil free!

WD symptoms since tapering mid- 2015:

Short temper, hostile. Brain zaps. Bruxism. Wild vivid dreams  Hives Food intolerance Lump in throat, . Joint pain. Knees, elbows.  Pain in feet. Numbness in hands. Shaking, like I'm cold. Trembling. Tremors, muscle twitches all over. Facial tics. Eye, lips. Head.  Floaters in my eyes. Severe Insomnia (between months 4-5)  then returned from March-October 2016. I'm sleeping better now. Dreams have returned to normal (month 7) High levels of anxiety when around large crowds or in large rooms. Intestinal spasms, heartburn.  Dizzy spells.  Panic/Anxiety Attacks suddenly developed months 8 out.  4 years out, 98% feeling back to normal.  (October 9 2019)

Hey Toulouse. It will weaken and comes and go. Mine has done this. But mine is definitely not from anxiety. Sometimes Ill get anxiety from the dizzy feeling but not the other way around.

• 1 month later...

Sorry if there's another topic, but I couldn't find anything in the archives.   I've been suffering through dizzy spells (along with panic and anxiety).  I have read that antihistamines and dramamine can help with the dizzy symptoms.  Has this worked for anyone?  I tried omega 3 and was not sure if it made it worse actually. 

Been on Paxil 14 years. 40mg for the bulk of those.

20mg in 2014

10mg March of 2015 - then tapered to 5mg

Then to 2.5 to 1.5 - to 1mg, from Mar-August.

As of August 23 2015, I am flying without a net.  Paxil free!

WD symptoms since tapering mid- 2015:

Short temper, hostile. Brain zaps. Bruxism. Wild vivid dreams  Hives Food intolerance Lump in throat, . Joint pain. Knees, elbows.  Pain in feet. Numbness in hands. Shaking, like I'm cold. Trembling. Tremors, muscle twitches all over. Facial tics. Eye, lips. Head.  Floaters in my eyes. Severe Insomnia (between months 4-5)  then returned from March-October 2016. I'm sleeping better now. Dreams have returned to normal (month 7) High levels of anxiety when around large crowds or in large rooms. Intestinal spasms, heartburn.  Dizzy spells.  Panic/Anxiety Attacks suddenly developed months 8 out.  4 years out, 98% feeling back to normal.  (October 9 2019)

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy