Jump to content
squirrel

Dizziness, vertigo, light-headedness, rocking or swaying sensations

Recommended Posts

Blondiee1915

Definitely had windows and waves thankfully (although low grade constant is pretty accurate but it was manageable in the windows) Summer was pretty good for me. I hope you have periods of relief soon. I know how terrible dizziness is. So over it. I also read you have congested ears I believe? I have that too :( I'm faithful in this won't be forever for us

Thank you. I hope so too. I hope all of us will get a break, we truly deserve it. The last couple days the dizziness has been more intense. Yes, I have issues with ears too ! Like pressure clogged kind of feeling and also occasional popping. I love summer and sunny weather always makes me feel better so looking forward to it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Techstacy

My friend had a lot of luck with "meclizine" it was recommend to her by her psychiatrist. worked quickly. It's over the counter name is "Dramamine Less Drowsy"

 

Investigate:

  • Dramamine - dimenhydrinate (did not work for friend but may work for you)
  • Dramamine Less Drowsey - meclizine (worked)
  • Scopolamine - Transdermal Patch (have not tried)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Blondiee1915

 

My friend had a lot of luck with "meclizine" it was recommend to her by her psychiatrist. worked quickly. It's over the counter name is "Dramamine Less Drowsy"

 

Investigate:

  • Dramamine - dimenhydrinate (did not work for friend but may work for you)
  • Dramamine Less Drowsey - meclizine (worked)
  • Scopolamine - Transdermal Patch (have not tried)

 

I got a few episodes of vertigo and got a prescription for meclizine.  I took it once and do not recall the effect on dizziness.  I have dizziness dp/dr so maybe bc it is a combination I did not feel the effect.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aelius

I`ve had balance disorder for 10 months and it seems to be a permanent damage. I`m not sure what was the real cause, either going CT off Venlafaxine or fast taper off Clonazepam. My symptoms are the same as persistent postular-perceptual dizziness (PPPD). Treatment options are: antidepressants, cognitive behavioral therapy or vestibular balance rehabilitation therapy. ADs caused it to me, CBT is ineffective. I should try the last option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Junglechicken

Just found this website on Neurological Dissasociative symptoms.

 

This is what I think I'm experiencing at the moment:

 

http://www.neurosymp...uses/4533053418

 

Hopefully it'll answer other people's mystery symptoms as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
apace41

Aelius,

 

JC may well be onto something.  Here is in interesting paper in this regard.

 

http://sci-hub.cc/10.1016/j.cbpra.2016.03.003

 

I have had the same issues, however, mine started prior to taking meds (30 years ago) and the meds suppressed it for much of that time.  I now have it sporadically.

 

I don't see any reason to believe it is permanent.

 

One thing that neurologists in this space recommend to help with balance for sensory integration is the Wii fit balance games.

 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3922272/

 

You should definitely pursue vestibular rehab.  No downside that I'm aware of.

 

Best,

 

Andy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Blondiee1915

Chiming in on the dizziness thread

 

I experience dizziness and disbalance constant since coming off lexapro . Prior to medication I never experienced this . It is truly terrible , particularly since is is constant for me . I went to neurologist and they diagnosed me with benign positional vertigo as I had a few episodes of that back during winter . I was also recommended rehab . I honestly feel like it will not do me any good as this is directly related to WD . I really hope this is not permanent as I have no life now due to these symptoms . Stress makes it worse too .

I would love to hear back from squirrel too as I read some of her thread and she did suffer with this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aelius
20 hours ago, apace41 said:

Aelius,

 

JC may well be onto something.  Here is in interesting paper in this regard.

 

http://sci-hub.cc/10.1016/j.cbpra.2016.03.003

 

I have had the same issues, however, mine started prior to taking meds (30 years ago) and the meds suppressed it for much of that time.  I now have it sporadically.

 

I don't see any reason to believe it is permanent.

 

One thing that neurologists in this space recommend to help with balance for sensory integration is the Wii fit balance games.

 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3922272/

 

You should definitely pursue vestibular rehab.  No downside that I'm aware of.

 

Best,

 

Andy

Hi Andy,

thanks for the links. I`ll check them when I feel better. I`m in a pretty nasty wave of symptoms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Itzakadoozee
On 6/6/2017 at 9:58 AM, Blondiee1915 said:

Chiming in on the dizziness thread

 

I experience dizziness and disbalance constant since coming off lexapro . Prior to medication I never experienced this . It is truly terrible , particularly since is is constant for me . I went to neurologist and they diagnosed me with benign positional vertigo as I had a few episodes of that back during winter . I was also recommended rehab . I honestly feel like it will not do me any good as this is directly related to WD . I really hope this is not permanent as I have no life now due to these symptoms . Stress makes it worse too .

I would love to hear back from squirrel too as I read some of her thread and she did suffer with this

I'm in the exact same boat as you with this lexapro WD. Dizziness, depersonalization, and detachment. Hang in there!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Blondiee1915

Thanks Itzakadooze, I am doing my best.  Hope you are okay.  I also have depersonalization and detachment and extreme exhaustion.  Our poor bodies.  But I do have hope it will get better. pm me if you want to chat 

B. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bobo32

Anyone experienced vertigo and loss of balance symptopms 3 or 4 months after withdrawal? I know a friend who is struggling with those symptoms, she's 4months lexapro free just taking a benzo and thyroid medication. Could it be that the sudden loss of balance and headaches she's experiencing caused by lexapro withdrawal?

she used the drug for about 5 years then she used it again after quitting it for about 2 years

 

thanks

Edited by scallywag
merged topics

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LilyBlueRose

Just checking in seeing how others are doing with this? My ears are constantly congested , whether it is extreme or slightly. I have periods of time where I rarely notice the dizziness or woozy in motion feeling. Where I feel good and pretty much normal,  And then there are times, like now, where it hits me like a freight train and I lose all hope and fall into despair. Scared thinking what if this isnt withdrawl? What if this is something that I will have to live with for the rest of my life? 

 

Being dizzy and feeling like my chair is swaying on the ocean when I am sitting still is an absolute nightmare. Going on a year a 5 months now since quitting Celexa. Considering calling up yet another DR because I feel hopeless, but I know he wont be able to do anything. Ive seen an ENT, A vestibular specialist, two pcps and had an MRI. Very frustrating! I just dont get how they cant see whats going on in my ears or understand why I am having these issues. I really wish it would stop :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RachelSusan

I'm having issues with sinus pressure. Pressure in the inner ear and behind the nose, along with a post nasal drip, some nausea and headache. Shaking as well. Meclizine seems to be working for me however I am now concerned about taking any drug on a regular basis and I try to ride out the symptoms as much as possible.  Does anyone have any knowledge if the Meclizine will cause a problem with a Zoloft taper and or withdrawal? I used drug interaction checker and while there is no problem that doesn't mean that it can't impact us with CNS problems. I am in a taper but I suspect I am also going through a withdrawal resurgence from when I went Cold Turkey. I'll also post this on my page.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bobo32
On 18/06/2011 at 1:50 AM, Altostrata said:

Acta Otolaryngol. 2010 Sep;130(9):981-3.

A possible explanation for dizziness following SSRI discontinuation.

 

Smith PF, Darlington CL.

 

Source

 

Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, School of Medical Sciences, University of Otago Medical School, Dunedin, New Zealand. paul.smith@stonebow.otago.ac.nz

 

Abstract at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20144124 Full text at http://www.mediafire.com/?3v4waouysa70j6q

 

Dizziness is the most commonly reported symptom of abrupt discontinuation from the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) category of antidepressants. The reported dizziness is exacerbated by even slight head movement, and therefore is likely to be vestibular in origin. The SSRIs most implicated are those with short half-lives and which are most selective for serotonin (as opposed to noradrenaline), e.g. paroxetine and sertraline. Since the vestibular nucleus complex (VNC) has an abundance of serotonin receptors, the abrupt withdrawal from an SSRI is likely to have a substantial impact on the electrophysiological activity of neurons within it. Here we suggest that the abrupt withdrawal from an SSRI is likely to cause a sudden decrease in serotonin in the VNC, which will disrupt the function of VNC neurons bilaterally, causing dizziness without vertigo.

Hey alto,

what you think might help with dizziness? My mom us having this symptom ever since She stopped lexapro and a benzo I really want to help her. Its been about 4 months that She ct 10mgs. Her dizziness is worst in the mornings as well as when she moves her head. Any advice ?

thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ChessieCat
10 hours ago, Bobo32 said:

My mom us having this symptom ever since She stopped lexapro and a benzo I really want to help her.

 

Hi Bobo,

 

Because we are making suggestions that can affect a person's health and wellbeing it is very difficult for us to assist 3rd parties.  I suggest that your mother become a member of SA so that we can support her directly.  Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RachelSusan

This is happening most days, usually in afternoon and it lasts for 4 to 5 hours. Meclezine helps. Symptoms usually include the feeling of pressure in sinus, the area around and behind nose. Profuse sweating, and feeling hot, along with motion sickness feelings. I also feel speedy at times, like too much coffee, the feeling of internal tremors. I can't think clearly when it happens, headaches, sort of out of things,   Anyone have any thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Altostrata
On 9/27/2017 at 3:22 PM, Bobo32 said:

Hey alto,

what you think might help with dizziness? My mom us having this symptom ever since She stopped lexapro and a benzo I really want to help her. Its been about 4 months that She ct 10mgs. Her dizziness is worst in the mornings as well as when she moves her head. Any advice ?

thank you

 

22 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

 

Hi Bobo,

 

Because we are making suggestions that can affect a person's health and wellbeing it is very difficult for us to assist 3rd parties.  I suggest that your mother become a member of SA so that we can support her directly.  Thank you.

 

Bobo, Chessie's suggestion is a good one. It sounds like your mom has withdrawal syndrome, not just dizziness. Please ask her to join SA and start an Introductions topic.

 

18 hours ago, RachelSusan said:

This is happening most days, usually in afternoon and it lasts for 4 to 5 hours. Meclezine helps. Symptoms usually include the feeling of pressure in sinus, the area around and behind nose. Profuse sweating, and feeling hot, along with motion sickness feelings. I also feel speedy at times, like too much coffee, the feeling of internal tremors. I can't think clearly when it happens, headaches, sort of out of things,   Anyone have any thoughts?

 

Hi, RachelSusan, I responded in your topic 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IrishMonkey92

K

On 11/08/2017 at 3:05 AM, Kalinia said:

Just checking in seeing how others are doing with this? My ears are constantly congested , whether it is extreme or slightly. I have periods of time where I rarely notice the dizziness or woozy in motion feeling. Where I feel good and pretty much normal,  And then there are times, like now, where it hits me like a freight train and I lose all hope and fall into despair. Scared thinking what if this isnt withdrawl? What if this is something that I will have to live with for the rest of my life? 

 

Being dizzy and feeling like my chair is swaying on the ocean when I am sitting still is an absolute nightmare. Going on a year a 5 months now since quitting Celexa. Considering calling up yet another DR because I feel hopeless, but I know he wont be able to do anything. Ive seen an ENT, A vestibular specialist, two pcps and had an MRI. Very frustrating! I just dont get how they cant see whats going on in my ears or understand why I am having these issues. I really wish it would stop :(

How you doing now Kalina? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LilyBlueRose

Hey there! I've had over a month of a window. I have days where I am dizzy and in motion but not as intense as when it's a "wave" of pure misery. Ears have been a little better as well. I always have low grade in motion dizziness when still and ears are always full of pressure... But it has not been too bad at all lately. Dreading the next wave but enjoying the bit of relief. 

 

I've been having racing heart issues tho which I've had on and off since quitting celexa. 

 

How are you doing @IrishMonkey92

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LilyBlueRose

I went to yet another ent by the way who was useless and just said to take klonopin 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IrishMonkey92
On 13/10/2017 at 4:55 AM, Kalinia said:

Hey there! I've had over a month of a window. I have days where I am dizzy and in motion but not as intense as when it's a "wave" of pure misery. Ears have been a little better as well. I always have low grade in motion dizziness when still and ears are always full of pressure... But it has not been too bad at all lately. Dreading the next wave but enjoying the bit of relief. 

 

I've been having racing heart issues tho which I've had on and off since quitting celexa. 

 

How are you doing @IrishMonkey92

Basically the exact same. Somedays I don't feel as bad. I try to not let it get to me. I just have no idea what this is.

Further to add to my annoyance... I went to an infectious disease doctor - after a year and a half on the waiting list. They confirmed that my blood was showing high probability of having lyme disease. So this just throws the whole withdrawal situation out in the bin because I thought that was the reason for my symptoms. So confused right now :( All this started after stopping Citalopram... I've never been ill in my life until that point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IrishMonkey92
On 13/10/2017 at 4:57 AM, Kalinia said:

I went to yet another ent by the way who was useless and just said to take klonopin 

Question: Did you get odd sensations in your head... like a jolt/shooting pain in your head and it happened various times throughout the day at the start of all this occurring? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IrishMonkey92
On 14/6/2017 at 11:10 AM, Bobo32 said:

Anyone experienced vertigo and loss of balance symptopms 3 or 4 months after withdrawal? I know a friend who is struggling with those symptoms, she's 4months lexapro free just taking a benzo and thyroid medication. Could it be that the sudden loss of balance and headaches she's experiencing caused by lexapro withdrawal?

she used the drug for about 5 years then she used it again after quitting it for about 2 years

 

thanks

My rocking/swaying sensation like I'm on a boat started 5 months out from stopping my Citalopram. I still have it 22 months later. I think its never going to go away for me :( Still struggling to believe this is withdrawal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IrishMonkey92

Does anyone know anyone who has quit Antidepressants and has my sensation of being on a boat? I'm starting to believe this is something else now (Lyme disease maybe?). It started 5 months after stopping Citalopram, a night after drinking a lot of alcohol. Its been nearly 2 full years. Replies would be much appreciated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LilyBlueRose

Oh I'm sorry! :( if it is lymes then maybe treatment will help it go away? Did you have other lymes symtoms? @IrishMonkey92

 

No I never had that. I once in a while had sensations like my brain was shaking or something tho! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ChessieCat
On 22/10/2017 at 6:02 AM, IrishMonkey92 said:

Question: Did you get odd sensations in your head... like a jolt/shooting pain in your head and it happened various times throughout the day at the start of all this occurring? 

 

This might be what is called brain-zaps

 

I've experienced this.  I've felt it in my head, when my eyes have been closed and I've moved them and in my shoulder area of my back when walking.

 

And there is also this topic: -head-symptoms

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LilyBlueRose

Also what is their plan of action now? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LisaP

Hi,

 

The week that I finished tapering off of long term use of both Trazodone and Cymbalta (both for neuromuscular pain/sleep) I fainted and gave myself a mild concussion. I've never fainted before. At the hospital they ran lots of tests and everything was fine. I still feel dizzy periodically one month later but understand that's common. A few days ago, when I thought fainting was behind me, I fainted, again, and gave myself another mild concussion. Now I'm fearful of fainting.

 

Are there things I can do to help with the dizziness and things that make the dizziness worse? I've read about reinstatement but after one month I'm not sure that makes sense for me. And besides, I still haven't found a doctor who would agree to work with me before/during/after this period of "reshaping" by brain and am leery of doing more on my own. (My family doctor said that she was not equipped to help me, which was at least honest. )

 

Has anyone had any experience with (medical) marijuana making the dizziness worse? I think there may be a connection for me so I've stopped all marijuana use. I've been taking 300 mg of Gabapentin and 20 mg of time release Melatonin to help me sleep at night. Could they be adding to my dizziness problem? I've cut out all caffeine and alcohol thinking that might help.

 

Since I don't know how long this dizziness will last, I'm eager to get some helpful ideas or suggestions. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IrishMonkey92
On 23/10/2017 at 9:43 AM, ChessieCat said:

 

This might be what is called brain-zaps

 

I've experienced this.  I've felt it in my head, when my eyes have been closed and I've moved them and in my shoulder area of my back when walking.

 

And there is also this topic: -head-symptoms

 

Chessie, did your brain zaps feel like a jolt/quick/sharp/shooting into the head? And did you get them consecutively within a space of time? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Raye

did you come off of the medicine too fast maybe? Do you still experience any withdrawal effects? If not, Maybe its your brain adjusting still and might take a while to even out since the hospital scans were fine. I heard once that side effects from SSRIS continue after a few years sometimes. I would try to see what your symptoms are before you faint and sit down if possible to not fall. I’m sorry you are going through this 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Raye

great idea with cutting caffeine and acholol out tho.. I cut those out to and experience better cognitive function especially after cutting out caffeine. best luck to you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JamesF

I've been feeling this lately, especially late at night, when showering and when going to the toilet.

 

I will feel a rush of dizziness for a few seconds. Then it's like I lose conscious for about half a second or less. And feel myself kind of falling to one side. But I catch myself just at the start of the motion of falling. It's very jolting and anxiety inducing. It's also often like a feeling of vertigo or like there is a very gentle earthquake for a few seconds.

 

Does this sound familiar ? Any advice?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kristine

Hi James,  My goodness...that was such an concise description of your experience...I recognised it immediately.  Very similar to own experiences.  I have only gone as far as describing it as dizziness, vertigo and jelly legs. Unfortunately I did fall once but it was only in the lounge room onto carpet!  The only advice I can think of is to focus on a spot on the wall in front of you...you have identified two areas where this happens and that it happens mostly at night.  For example if you are in the shower, try to focus on a spot in line with your eyes.  This prevented me moving my head too fast which seemed to trigger this horrible feeling. Also I found if the shower was too hot it got worse.  I have also slowly introduced magnesium citrate as a supplement, which seems to have helped.  Sorry this is happening to you James.K

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ultimatumprisoncell

I've experienced this quite a bit myself, and in different forms. I've experienced visual disturbances that make it appear as if everything around me is moving, this is only alleviated by closing my eyes. Recently my symptoms revolve more around an overwhelming fatigue and weakness leaving me pretty much bedridden. Often walking from one room to the next is enough to bring on a dizzy spell and collapse. (Along with palpitations, and of course tears of frustration.) Along with that I have an unsteady gait and at times stumble into things. I'm still experiencing the withdrawal effects from the Effexor and Zoloft combination after taper and complete discontinuation. This in spite of the fact that I am currently taking Prozac to help me through the WD of the other AD. The Prozac has only helped my emotional symptoms, and only minimally. It has done pretty much nothing for the physical state I've been left in. I keep myself well hydrated, force myself to eat as much (supplemented with protein shakes) as I can. I'm taking a few supplements as well as the Vit D3 and B Complex my GP has insisted upon. Rule out any causes that may be related to other things. That said, the only remedy I've found for my episodes is to stay in bed 24/7. And that's not possible. So I'm working on other solutions and praying it passes soon. Hopefully there are others who've had some success with dealing with this.

 

Best Wishes

UPC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Prozacboy

I also have this symptom while slowly tapering off Prozac. It makes just walking to work a complete and utter nightmare. I feel like I am going to fall or get hit by a car unwittingly. Any update from Kristine or ultimateprisoncell on how you or doing or how to make it better? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ultimatumprisoncell
1 hour ago, Prozacboy said:

I also have this symptom while slowly tapering off Prozac. It makes just walking to work a complete and utter nightmare. I feel like I am going to fall or get hit by a car unwittingly. Any update from Kristine or ultimateprisoncell on how you or doing or how to make it better? 

I wish I had answers. Reinstatement can help, but I personally would not go there. I've been playing the wait it out game... With no success this far, but I'd imagine it has to get better at some point.... I would advise reaching out to others in the forums to see if they've had any success via other means.

 

UPC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.