Maucobou: Grateful to have information about gradual tapering....It works!

Maucobou

Thank you so very much, Altostrata, for the information on this site. When I tried to get off of Lexapro in 2012 my doctor suggested I quit the 10mgs within 1 month. I suffered severe withdrawal symptoms and all of the doctors I consulted after that point suggested that my symptoms were all in my head and assumed that I was just mentally unbalanced even though I'd never had those kinds of symptoms before. I went back on Lexapro after 6-8 months of suffering. About 6 months ago, after reading posts on this site, I started tapering slowly and I'm now down to about 1mg a day with little or no symptoms. My deep thanks to survivingantidepressants.com. I am interested in approaching the doctors who were so dismissive of me before, to give them this information in case it could help another patient. Do you have any advice on following through with this? I imagine they will be defensive and dismissive again, is there a good way to break through in the chance that someone else could be helped?

Thank you for sharing your story about how slow tapering has helped you. We always like to hear success stories!

The only thing you can do to help educate your doc is to print out some of the information from the site that you feel really helped you. But be prepared for a less than warm reception of the information. Docs do not like to be told that their information might be wrong and they for sure (many of them) distrust anything coming from "the internet". There are several books written by well respected MD's that you could mention: "Anatomy of an Epidemic" for instance. But be prepared for your doc's disdain. The best advertisement for the wisdom of slow tapering is you yourself.

You could also suggest he browse this website, too.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

Thank you so much for your quick reply, Cymbaltawithdrawal5600.

I appreciate your advice, and even though I don't think it will be a successful interaction, I will contact my doctor on the off chance that it will help someone. Maybe I will make contact first through email with a link to a public post I create, in the hopes that being public about my story, and having an email on record will make my story less easy to dismiss. I will also suggest this website!

• Administrator

Thank you so much for letting us know you're doing well, Maucobau.

You might find Guides to tapering off psychiatric medications are what you're looking for to educate your doctor.

Thank you for taking on that challenge!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.