SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ 302zoloft

302zoloft

What option would you have? Do another cold turkey and destabilize your system further? We just don't have any options in the experience of the members who have passed through this board. I'd surely tell you if that were so, no one wants to see anyone suffer. The thing is, the body has to do it on its OWN time and way, we just have to try not to interfere. And it often is clumsy in its attempts to 're-regulate' things. I'll have to find the link that describes this, I paraphrased what it said (it was a study) because once I understood it, withdrawal and the ups and downs of it became more clear. I am STILL in a phase of re-regulation myself, the mental/emotional is not right yet and I am struggling with that. It is a long process, windows and waves describe it perfectly. It is not so much that you should pray for windows and dread waves but that you need to be the ship on the water (with no holes in your hull) that goes up and down with the action of the immutable (fancy word for meaning something MAN cannot change) sea.

Don't rock the boat.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 302zoloft

• Altostrata

• Fresh

• cymbaltawithdrawal5600

Top Posters In This Topic

But what if u can't do this much longer? It has been nearly two months, I have been off work as long. I'm losing it.

So once you start coming off; if it doesn't work this is it? You ri or bear with it? And even then you still feel awful?

50mg daily Zoloft (Sertraline) since March 2011 (For Panic Attacks/Anxiety)
25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 
Thurs 29th jan; took a one-off dose 20mg fluoxetine in an effort to get rid of withdrawal side effects
Sat 31st jan; in desperation took one off dose 50mg sertraline. Got very anxious and spiraled, so was given 5mg Valium to take every four hours for the weekend until psych appt mon
Mon 2nd feb; psych told me to take 75mg venlafaxine and 1mg lorazepam three times a day
Tuesday 3rd feb; took 12.5mg sertraline and 1mg lorazepam but couldn't take it the full day as instructed by doc.
Plan to follow advice from here and take 12.5mg sertraline daily. I also take b vitamin complex and omega fish oils daily (stopped fish oils and b vits 4th feb as advised. Continuing with 12.5mg sertraline)

Here's the link and note Alto's comments in red:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/749-andrews-2011-blue-again-perturbational-effects-of-antidepressants/

The body struggles in its mighty effort to put things right and is often very 'inelegant' in its attempts, wildly over (or under) shooting the mark. It knows what it wants and it takes a lot of trying to get there. And it persists is spite of our clumsy attempts to hurry it along.

I have always hated being seen as 'inelegant' myself but this experience forces that upon you. If you want to recover to a more normal life youhave to submit to it.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

But what if u can't do this much longer? It has been nearly two months, I have been off work as long. I'm losing it.

So once you start coming off; if it doesn't work this is it? You ri or bear with it? And even then you still feel awful?

That is your experience as of this very moment. So tell me, what are you going to do? I hung on for a year and I got amazingly better in that short time, I cannot believe how it happened! I did nothing except what I detailed in my thread.

What are your plans for when 'not much longer' gets here? Talk to me about how you feel.

If you were able to struggle through the reading of that article, here is what I took from it:

"The thing I was most intrigued with was the idea that when the brain pushes to maintain homeostasis in the face of an onslaught of artificial chemicals (ADMs [antidepressant meds]) and those chemicals are withdrawn (as in a precipitous taper or cold turkey) that the brain attempts to compensate to reach homeostasis again and may "overshoot the mark" and the result may be a depression unlike any experienced by the person before.

I'll have to do more reading but I am pretty sure that is the right take on it. That explains the statement "this does not feel like my depression" and why the episodes of depression I had during my 2nd year off the drugs and after severe wd hit, were the blackest, deepest, most severe I had ever known.

I am trying to put some legs under the things I tell people who are struggling, that there is a reason why they feel the way they do and it is most probably time limited. It was for me, anyway. It is the absence of the meds and not a "relapse".

There is no way around, only through. It was not as bad as I thought but there were some truly awful moments last year and I survived!

I know I have no choice but to ride this out. I just wonder how much I can take. Feels like I'm stuck in endless turmoil and as soon as I see a glimmer of hope it gets snatched away the next day. It does make me wonder if it was the right decision to try and come off.

It does seem like it's going to take a lot longer than I thought to stabilise. I think once I do I will just stay there for a long while and enjoy life more without these ups and downs.

25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 
Thurs 29th jan; took a one-off dose 20mg fluoxetine in an effort to get rid of withdrawal side effects
Sat 31st jan; in desperation took one off dose 50mg sertraline. Got very anxious and spiraled, so was given 5mg Valium to take every four hours for the weekend until psych appt mon
Mon 2nd feb; psych told me to take 75mg venlafaxine and 1mg lorazepam three times a day
Tuesday 3rd feb; took 12.5mg sertraline and 1mg lorazepam but couldn't take it the full day as instructed by doc.
Plan to follow advice from here and take 12.5mg sertraline daily. I also take b vitamin complex and omega fish oils daily (stopped fish oils and b vits 4th feb as advised. Continuing with 12.5mg sertraline)

I know it's not a relapse and I know it isn't me. But when it's bad I just don't know how to ride it out. If there aren't people around me I do wonder if I would have done something stupid by now. Like if I could click my fingers and just disappear and be nothing. I'm a shadow of the person I really am.

I'm sorry; I know you must read posts like mine all the time and be repeating yourself. It is appreciated that so many people take the time to reply on here. Without finding this site I probably would have followed the first psychiatrists advice and just started on venlafaxine.

25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 

When people are feeling like this I often tell them to go back and read their thread from the beginning. For you, I would suggest that too but before you do, try to put yourself in the position of an observer or a fellow sufferer such as you have met here. Make a careful note of how much REAL time has elapsed since you started your thread - it has been EIGHTEEN DAYS. You have learned quite a bit about antidepressant drugs and their dosages and of their effects upon humans, not just yourself.

In the 18 days you have been here, your thread has grown to six pages and has had over two thousand views. So what you have gone through has been noticed by a great many people not all of whom have posted in your thread. I myself have made multiple posts to you, especially in the beginning.

This is not said so that you attach any particular 'meaning' to what I have asked you to look at rather to give you some perspective.

Ok, you replied to my previous post and said this:

I know you must read posts like mine all the time and be repeating yourself.

I see posts with variations all on the same THEMES and I never 'repeat myself', I try to reply from my heart and intelligence and try to answer the things you AREN'T saying, which is: you don't want to still be doing this and you want it to change. Now if not sooner. You doubt your ability to stick with it. You are afraid afraid and more afraid of what you have no idea of what may be coming because you have read the stories of the others here and you don't like what you see.

Your recovery will be unique and when you get to a place you can call 'recovered' you will look back and say 'That was awful, I don't know how I did it but I did. And to tell the truth, it could have been much worse.'

That's what I say.

Thanks - I have gone through and read. I realise that I said a lot that I cant deal with this and its too hard, yet I still keep posting and it hasnt killed me. It is just so hard when its bad. I went for a walk earlier and was in tears, then listened to meditation. Its so unpredictable and its disheartening taking one step forward and two back, but I need to accept thats how it is going to be.

I didnt mean any offence about you repeating yourself or like you werent sincere - I meant more that I know Im not special and I realise how many people you are trying to help and sorry for adding to it. I really do appreciate the help you and Alto have offered with the RI as well as others chipping in and offering reassurance and kind words.

When I have my wits about me I know I can get through this and I know I have a loving partner, family and some friends (I havent told them all about this) who are supporting me. The truth is I dont know if tomorrow is going to be a good day or a bad day and so I just have to hope its a good day and deal with it if it isnt. I am going to my parents tomorrow just in case it is as bad as today as I dont want to disappear, I want to get better and when I am low I am scared. I havent come close to "doing" anything when that low (only really 2 or 3 occasions) so hopefully that shows it is just the RI/WD and not the real me. I didnt have depression when this started a few years back - it was just panic attacks. And I am grateful that I havent had the panic attacks return as it is helping (slightly) in believing that this is temporary and all due to the drugs. I havent commented on other peoples threads as I dont know what to say and I would hate to do more harm than good. Its also hard to offer up words of comfort when feeling crappy. I do want some good to come of all this though and I do want to do something about it - just havent worked out what yet. 

I really want to be able to go back to work this week, but think maybe I am being too ambitious. But then surely some people force themselves through it and go as not everyone can take time off work? 

I am drinking lots of water, keeping a healthy diet, only taking 12.5mg sertraline (and some rescue remedy and homepathic remedies - do these need to be in my signature?), taking walks and trying to keep positive. This hasnt really gotten worse in hindsight, I just need to keep reminding myself how far I have come, how much time has passed and I am still here trying to stabilise. I really am in no rush to come off the meds entirely so my impatience isnt at that - its at the side effects and fixing of my brain which I am growing tired of. I know that the panic attacks back in the day changed me for the better and hopefully this experience will too. My other half has been amazing and I am truly grateful for that - this has brought us closer together and ultimately will make us stronger. 

Thank you again for all your posts. 

25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 

I really am trying. I thought that how I felt the last week was the worst of it, I just didn't expect how I've been today and yesterday. It feels like hell. I felt better earlier in the week to the point where I thought I could be back to work this week. I know I have to stick with it and stabilise. I Just didn't think it would get harder. There is no other option is there if I want to get off the Zoloft successfully?

Sadly, the best thing you can do is not make changes or add in other MEDS! I'm sorry things have gotten worse for you. It is VERY scary and surreal what these drugs actually do to our brains. So hard to believe they're legal!

You're doing great, especially for not giving in to a benzo. Like everyone's mentioned, there's no quick fix or a magic pill, no matter how desperate we get. Many of us have been forced into putting our life on hold for months and years, even when it wasn't possible or an option.

I really think you're taking the best plan of action. Had you not RI'd you may hit protracted WD which can get much much worse than you are now, within the next few months. I know it's super hard right now but give the RI some time. It may take a couple of more weeks or maybe even couple of months but it's the safest route possible. Once it kicks in you will stablize. That's much better than adding other drugs, switching doses around or a ct. Hang in there !

13 years of Ssri's - celexa, Paxil, Prozac, Zoloft

2 fast tapers and 2 cold turkeys over the years

Psych med free since September 4th 2011 - fast tapered then CT'd 12.5 mg of Zoloft

“Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.”

― Mahatma Gandhi

I dread taking the 12.5ng sertraline each morning. It's making me feel so bad right now; muscles all tightening, shaking, can't eat, can't sleep, mind jumping. It's two weeks tomorrow since the ri. I don't know what to expect.

Going to my parents today as scared to be on my own. 29 years old and cannot be on my own! That is ridiculous

I am really hoping the next phase will be the stabilisation and then I can just stay there and get some respite. I'm not in any rush to get off; in a rush to get my life back and do this properly and slowly.

The shaking has started kicking in as I write this and the restlessness. This is how I remember my first experience taking sertraline nearly four years ago. How can something make you feel worse in order to make you feel better? Would you take paracetamol if it made your headache worse first?

I honestly feel like this is poisoning me.

I know it served a purpose four years ago when I had panic attacks, but I did put it off for about five months before agreeing to take it as I wanted to try other therapies before taking it. But the waiting lists were too long. That is frustrating.

25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 

• Moderator Emeritus

Great post 302. 

Have you read the "Windows and Waves" thread yet?    The windows are the good bits , when you can relax a little , and the waves are when the panic and fears and akathisia kick in.

You'll get both , and it can be helpful to keep a record with some type of rating scale.   You'll be able to see over time when the waves begin to decrease in intensity and

frequency.   That will show you when things are overall looking up.

Stick with your plan.   If you stop the sertraline things will almost certainly get worse for you.  In the past it took a few weeks , right?

Is it possible to arrange for a month off work?    It may not be needed , but it will take the pressure off you.   

Just a thought.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

It is frustrating! Hopefully things will change and the first port of call will be therapy and not a drug!

I'm 31, and felt that I couldn't be alone a lot of the time..it almost feels/felt like a regression back to childhood..don't worry, I think most people going through this feels like that, and it is not a reflection of strength or character.

I don't know what to advise regarding your dose. I remember saying to an alternative therapist that I dreaded taking my small reinstatement now that I know what it's doing to my body..she said whenever I felt fear about it to repeat the word 'love' over in my mind..it certainly did have some effect to counter the fear thoughts with this..a little bit.

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

I'm trying to say "I accept" or "I submit" and not fight it. It's hard though. It makes me so sad looking at christmas time or just before when I was myself and so happy. Then to now.

November we had the offer accepted on our first house together, Christmas Day peter proposed. I was on top of the world. Then out of nowhere this all hit. It's sad

25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey 302 , last Friday I met a guy and there was a romantic chemistry - and he's single!!   This is the first time that's happened in years.  You'll get better and your old self will come back.  

You've gotten better from this before - it will happen again.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

That's great news fresh!! When are you seeing him next?

I have been talking to mum about the panic attacks from over four years ago and they were hell. Worse than what I am going through at the moment. So I know I will get through it as I got through that; just a different type of challenge and not the same feelings so relearning how to deal with symptoms and waves.

Today I'm quite tense; my muscles feel cold which I ised to associate with adrenaline. Again, I think this is part of the ri of 12.5mg sertraline as I felt similar when I first started.

There is a beautiful world outside the windows which I treasure and want to get back out and enjoy. Hopefully the ri will stabilise shortly as was only off for a week. I'm not against having to go up more if mods say best in a few weeks. I don't care how long a taper takes I just want to feel better soon and start enjoying things again.

25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 

Today's been tough. Am exhausted as woke at 5, can't eat anything or sleep and I feel constantly anxious and adrenaline pumping through my arms and back. Really starting to remind me of the original anxiety I had. Starting again to believe I need to be on meds. Sometimes I have moments of clarity and can control my thoughts and anxiety, then other times it's futile.

25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 

So once again, with it being the evening I feel like myself again. I don't understand why the mornings are so hard and the evenings almost feel like me.

Should I take the sertraline at night do you think?

25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 

302, have you been doing any reading about withdrawal syndrome? The symptoms you have are because of that and they will gradually ease when your body calms down. Taking the zoloft will not calm it down, it will have to calm on its own, you are just keeping it from getting so much worse. The body is struggling to come back to a different normal and the cortisol rise in the morning is a thing that happens naturally but in wd it gets wonky (for lack of a more scientific word). Leave the time of day for the dose alone and just be consistent. It is something we have all had to go through, the feeling almost normal and then feeling insanely awful in the mornings. Do you need the link or can you find it in the Symptoms forum?

thanks, I think I have been all through the articles and have been browsing again today. The trouble is that everyone seems to be suffering for months and months or even years. I thought that ri after just a week would mean I could stabilise and lessen the symptoms. Instead I feel like I'm still in withdrawal and now suffering the start up symptoms from the ri. It's been two weeks today; I'm struggling more in the mornings with the anxiety, cortisol and adrenaline firing down my arms and back, bruxism and low mood.

I can't eat this morning as retching from bed. I've tried the liquid ginger. I'm just so exhausted from these last six weeks. It's relentless. No body knows if this is going to last a day, two weeks, a month or even a year.

I'm seriously considering going on to the venlafaxine or something and tapering off that properly in a year. I don't know how people can do this. Especially those in worse situations or coming off more than just an ad.

25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 

I had to take a lorazepam this morning much to my disappointment.

I can't take all this.

25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 

• Moderator Emeritus

You're doing great 302.   Lorazepam is safe for you to use occasionally if you need a break.   I hope it helped you feel a little calmer for a while.

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

Oh I'm not. I feel awful. It's been nearly an hour and I feel worse. Tense, anxious, horrible thoughts, twitching and dry mouth. I don't know why I thought taking it would be a good idea. Was only 1mg. Just needed to calm. Now worse. Had to call my mum and ask her to come over.ehy won't this nightmare end?! Is there no other way out? Il go back on meds, I just want out.

25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 

• Moderator Emeritus

Oh dear , I'm sorry you've reacted badly to it.   It was very sensible to only take 1mg.   At least now you know it isn't good for you.   It will wear off soon.  Are there any things can you do to distract yourself . . .  t.v ?   animals on you-tube? relaxation/meditation tracks?

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

No. I can't concentrate. I feel like I'm going crazy again. Like when I took that one off dose of 50mg sertraline over two weeks ago.

I hate this. I can't handle it anymore. It just seems to be getting worse, not better

25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 

Alto? Cymbalta? Please help

25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 

Looking at rehab/detox centres.... Any thoughts?

25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 

I thought that ri after just a week would mean I could stabilise and lessen the symptoms. Instead I feel like I'm still in withdrawal and now suffering the start up symptoms from the ri. It's been two weeks today; I'm struggling more in the mornings with the anxiety, cortisol and adrenaline firing down my arms and back, bruxism and low mood.

Reading the stories of others gives you a feel for how they coped until the body's reactions to a cold turkey and reinstatement (and start up reactions) all finally combine to put the body on a more even keel so tapering can eventually begin again to get off the drug for whatever the original reason was. Don't let the time periods scare you, everyone is different in how they react to drugs and drug changes and recover form symptoms.

You do understand that the likelihood a 'detox' or 'rehab' center will do one of several things: yank you forcefully off whatever drug you are taking and and then experiment with giving you other drugs to try to force a change in your situation. You can expect to be given high doses of benzos, an antipsychotic or two, a different antidepressant and all of those things could be disastrous for your system (which is struggling to cope) at this time. As always, we just give you information based on the stories of our members so you can make your own informed choice.

It is too soon to change anything yet, this is the hardest time. Your best bet is doing what you can to cope and telling yourself that this is only temporary (which it is). You already saw what taking a different drug and taking a high dose of your original med did early on.

Did you take the benzo on an empty stomach or with coffee or tea? Are you keeping a daily log of your symptoms? This is extremely important to do, you need to see TRENDS as opposed to hourly changes in symptoms. You need to fight the impulse to catastrophic thinking based on how you feel currently. That is a symptom actually and ALL of us have had to fight with that one, some are STILL fighting that one. And it comes back sometimes even when we think we have passed that particular crisis.

The rehab/detox centres are offering therapy as well as weaning off sertraline whilst giving me nutrients... But I am not sure they understand the withdrawal. One place I said no to straight away told me he knew I was addicted as I was mixing the pill with water to get a small (12.5mg) "hit".

It's getting worse thiugh; the mornings actually scare me. I took the lorazepam after having my sertraline, milk and porridge. I have thrown them out now.

I'm speaking to the psychiatrist tonight to see what options he suggests. I just need to go back to being able to function and I can't do that right now. It's been nearly two months of this (although I didn't come on here straight away). I've read stories of some who after months and months of wd finally went back on to an ad and felt better then in future wil taper off. I think that's where I need to be. And maybe the next drug will be easier to come off as won't have been on it so long and will have the amazing information from you all about how to taper. I'm just not strong enough to keep this up. And my mums on holiday this week but she won't be next week. And then who will I turn to when I'm having a bad scary morning? I don't want to do anything stupid.

25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 

I've just seen this on James healeys webaited. And am worried about my stabilisation;

In order to decide what dosage to reinstate at, take your previous maximum dosage and reduce that number by 10% for each month since you started weaning. Since your goal is to wean off of an SSRI, you don’t want to start at too high a dose, but at the same time, you don’t want to start at too low a dose. A low dose reinstatement will take longer to reach stability, which will extend the whole process of tapering. It’s very tempting to restart at a low dose. One of the common feelings for people who are weaning off an SSRI is that they just want to be done with it as quickly as possible. It’s disconcerting to realize that you’ve been “hooked” on this drug for a long time when you thought it was just a therapeutic drug. SSRI weaning is a long process, often feeling interminable. It’s important to stick to a slow schedule, though. Quality of life is more important than the larger goal of being SSRI free, which will happen eventually.

Should I be on a higher dose? I started reducing in November, so when I reinstated in February I should have been on 36mg when I reinstated???

25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 

About reinstating and stabilizing to stop withdrawal symptoms

is the topic you might want to read. All of the information we use (other than that provided by each individual) is in that topic. If you feel you would be better served by going to a detox facility then that is your choice. Unfortunately not everyone does well with that kind of treatment and there is no way of knowing how things will turn out beforehand.

We can only give suggestions on what to do. We don't know of any pill, supplement, treatment, or ? that will reverse the symptoms of withdrawal syndrome once your nervous system has been upset. It stubbornly refuses to follow any timetable. What we try to do is support you so you won't make what we might consider to be 'rash' decisions but we can't keep you from them. I wish I knew what to tell you to make this all better right now but I am empty handed.

I just don't know how much more I can stand.

If I can't be home by myself, then that's worse than I was before. And then reading about stabilising and taking longer on a lower dose. I just don't jnow. I can't get any help this end, I'm scared sh*tlees and I just need help.

I have just called work for another week of not going in. It's awful.

25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 

I have read your thread and wanted to say that I am so sorry you are going through this; I know how scary it is.  I don't know if this will be of any help but I was on Zoloft for awhile and was tapering it - got down to 40 mg but started to get awful headaches so updosed to 50 mg.  I recall feeling much worse for awhile after that updose - all of the symptoms you have mentioned, including akathesia which I had never experienced before.  It did eventually settle down and I was able to stabilize.  I know it is not exactly the same situation but I thought I'd share that things got worse before they got better and perhaps that is what you are going through as well.  I really hope you feel better soon.  I wish the process was quicker but sometimes it can take quite awhile for the brain to figure out what is going on. 

-1/06 - 3/07 Cymbalta. Fast taper (essentially CT); withdrawal symptoms after 4 mos (didn't realize was WD)

-10/07: 100 mg Zoloft; 1 mg Klonopin - tapered off Klonopin after 4 mos. Several unsuccessful slow tapers of Zoloft; went up and down in dose a lot

-Spring 2013 back on 1 mg Klonopin to counter WD symptoms; switched over 5-6 mos from Zoloft to 35 mg citalopram
-Two attempts at slow tapering citalopram, always increased dose due to WD; also increased Klonopin to 1.25 mg in 2014, then to 1.5 mg in 2015

-8/17-9/17: After holding one year at 20 mg, feeling withdrawal symptoms due to stress - slowly increased to 25 mg. No change in symptoms after 6 months (? tolerance ?)  - decided to start citalopram taper February 2018 (still on Klonopin 1.5 mg).

Supplements: fish oil; magnesium; vitamin D3; curcumin

Citalopram taper:  2/2018 - 12/2019: 25 mg - 11.03 mg I 2020: 10.89 mg - 7.9 mg I 2021: 7.8 mg - 5.26 mg I 2022: 5.2 mg - 3.36 mg I 2023: 3.3 mg - 1.47 mg 2024: 1/5/24: 1.44 mg; 1/19/24: 1.40 mg; 1/26/24: 1.37 mg; 2/2/24: 1.34 mg; 2/9/24: 1.31 mg; 2/23/24: 1.28 mg; 3/1/24: 1.25 mg; 3/8/24: 1.22 mg; 3/15/24: 1.19 mg

Hi want relief. Thank you for sharing. I do appreciate it and it does help. I know sadly there are lots of people suffering and some worse than me, some less.

I just can't stand it; I'm very low and depressed today and I am not like that. It's so frustrating as its been going on for so long and it's not as though I didn't listen to the doctors. So infuriating. And now they wash their hands of it.

I just want to, need to know what is happening and if/when I will be better.

I have been very nauseous today to the point of actually throwing up. I can hardly eat. I do regret the lorazepam and I have gotten rid of it.

I just don't know what to do.

25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 

You needn't have disposed of the lorazepam, I don't think it harmed you and might come in handy, just not now. I know you want to know how long this will last but none of us knows. You read 'time periods' when you look at stories and you immediately jump to the conclusion that this will be your fate too. Not true. This may be the first time in your life that you have come up against something you can't control and it is really upsetting you I can tell. I am fighting and have been fighting the same thing. I felt really good a few months ago and now I am in a hole again, blank dead life and I cannot summon the effort needed to get out.

You are much like me, all of us are kind of the same really. It is what led us to these drugs to begin with. They looked to provide something we could not give to ourselves but when we say (or someone like the doc says) times up, we expect them to go away quietly and leave us alone. That does not happen. Any effort I have made to turn things around after I stopped the drugs has met with some sort of defeat if not just a holding pattern or stalemate, no lasting result it seems. At least not yet. These situations reach us to 'let go and let God' like no other life situation can. It just sucks not being in control.

When I RI'd from my first ct back in 2009, I RI'd at the previous dose I was on with PAXIL. 20 mg. therapeutic dose. It took 3 months to Stablize. I have to wonder if this is why people on here seem to take a year or so to stablize. Perhaps a therapeutic dose needs to be taken? I know of a few in my WD travels who RI'd at normal therapeutic doses and then have or are successfully coming off now. It may take longer to taper but stabilizing can be quicker and quality of life can resume sooner.

13 years of Ssri's - celexa, Paxil, Prozac, Zoloft

2 fast tapers and 2 cold turkeys over the years

Psych med free since September 4th 2011 - fast tapered then CT'd 12.5 mg of Zoloft

“Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.”

― Mahatma Gandhi